PDA

View Full Version : Scout connections?

Nick22401
01-01-2008, 01:19 AM
Scott, was just curious if you got info from scouts that work dircetly with NFL teams? If so how many different ones or are they more "internet scouts"?

jballa838
01-01-2008, 01:20 AM
wouldn't scouts get info from scott?

thule
01-01-2008, 01:26 AM

I would hope not...what NFL scout would take information from a .com website where you are free to post what you please.

Nick22401
01-01-2008, 01:27 AM

I don't know if Scott has worked for teams or not. Some teams pay for outside info from independent scouts. I don't know why a scout himself would get info from some place like this though.

Scott Wright
01-01-2008, 05:45 AM
I am not going to sit here and claim I know hundreds of scouts and talk to them every day because that's just not the case. However I do know quite a few of them and obviously I have to keep who they are and who they work for confidential because their employers wouldn't appreciate them getting or sharing information with outside sources.

I've found that information is the most valuable asset in my line of business and scouts are definitely a piece of that.

Nick22401
01-01-2008, 01:18 PM
Have you worked for any teams yourself or ever been contacted about possibly working for a team?

BamaFalcon59
01-01-2008, 06:10 PM
You like questions don't you?

d34ng3l021
01-01-2008, 06:30 PM
Actually, I am pretty damn curious as well. Me and my friend were just talking and he was just joking around and said "id let you take care of my franchise for sure.' After that, we talked about how one would go about being a scout or GM.

Can you give us a scouting 101?

SchizophrenicBatman
01-01-2008, 06:36 PM
I remember Scott previously answering this question something along the lines of "I make more money running this website than I would as a low tier scout for an NFL organization"

Scott Wright
01-02-2008, 06:05 AM
I remember Scott previously answering this question something along the lines of "I make more money running this website than I would as a low tier scout for an NFL organization"

You got it. Now that I'm a millionaire or anything close to it but I'd still be raking a big pay cut to work for a pro team. Scouts are just not paid very well, especially when they are starting out. Oh, and they have to travel all year long and work crazy hours.

No thanks. :)

BamaFalcon59
01-02-2008, 09:38 AM
At what level of pro scouting does the money get good?

FinChase
01-02-2008, 01:59 PM
At what level of pro scouting does the money get good?

Probably when you are the director of scouting.

jballa838
01-02-2008, 02:00 PM
I would hope not...what NFL scout would take information from a .com website where you are free to post what you please.
i meant from him personally. 2 opinions are better than one.

d34ng3l021
01-02-2008, 02:14 PM
So Scott, how does one become a scout?

Nick22401
01-03-2008, 01:07 PM
You got it. Now that I'm a millionaire or anything close to it but I'd still be raking a big pay cut to work for a pro team. Scouts are just not paid very well, especially when they are starting out. Oh, and they have to travel all year long and work crazy hours.

Yeah, I've heard they don't get paid to great which is a shame.

Another curiousity question, with a site like this and you not charging for information, is advertising the only way to make money off of it or is there any other ways?

Don Killuminati
01-03-2008, 02:14 PM
They're getting paid to watch football for a living. Great pay or not, I doubt they ever have a shortage of applicants.

SuperKevin
01-03-2008, 02:23 PM

Contract with Satan. Signed in blood. Laminated to prevent tearing

RyanLeaf#1
01-03-2008, 02:25 PM

Yes but scouts have the chance to move up into bigger and better positions. Not alot of people start at the top. If they are good at what they do it pays off in the long run.

thule
01-04-2008, 10:56 AM

This has been answered too...i'll just summerize scotts answer.

Basically him and a buddy started up this site...not expecting much...he graduated with a journalism major...and everything just clicked...it was the perfect time and he got lucky.

As far as how does one become a scout....name recognition...basically to get into it you have to know someone who can pull you in...obviously hard work pays off...but you have to be able to get your foot in the door for the right people to notice.

So to answer you connections...I would say connections is your best shot...while having the credential if the opportunity presents itself.

Nick22401
01-04-2008, 03:14 PM
They're getting paid to watch football for a living. Great pay or not, I doubt they ever have a shortage of applicants.

I'm sure there are tons of people interested lol.

ThePudge
01-04-2008, 03:20 PM
I'm actually going to be going to college for Sports Management (or Sports & Leisure Studies, which is I believe what they call it at Ohio State). A scout is one career idea for me there, though Scott is right. The starting pay is crappy, constant traveling, I mean overall it's not a good job to support a family on or even have a family. Obviously, I'm not committing to anything yet, but it is kind of a rough job for starters.

d34ng3l021
01-04-2008, 03:49 PM
I see. That is still pretty awesome to be a scout. But pretty tough job to get and continue.

SuperKevin
01-04-2008, 03:52 PM
I would hate to be a scout because of fear of getting bored with the game. I am a big time sports fan and would be afraid that if I worked around sports for a living, I would get bored with it and no longer enjoy watching sports on a recreational basis

bored of education
01-04-2008, 04:13 PM
To be a scout you need to know someone and have had some sort of experience playing and or coaching. its like politics...its not what you know but who you know