PDA

View Full Version : What I don't get (QB-related)

Wavy77
01-01-2008, 02:46 PM
Why does everone have Ravens picking a QB in first round, while no one thinks Panthers will do the same?

I think Baltimore has found a potential starter in Troy Smith, and getting a QB in the first round would a waste if you ask me.
Panthers, on the other hand, really needs some help on the position, while I haven't found a single mock that have them picking a QB as their first pick. Do they have that much confidence in Jake Delhomme and Matt Moore and uhmmm...David Carr??? While it's too early to say anything about Moore after all he's an undrafted player.

If you ask me the Panthers-situation is not that different from the Bears-situation with several "maybes" on the roster, while the Bears keep getting first round QB in almost all mocks I've seen.

Doesn't make sense.
Panthers are AS likely if not more likely to take a signal caller in the first round as compared to the Ravens and the Bears if you ask me.

SuperKevin
01-01-2008, 02:48 PM
Why does everone have Ravens picking a QB in first round, while no one thinks Panthers will do the same?

I think Baltimore has found a potential starter in Troy Smith, and getting a QB in the first round would a waste if you ask me.
Panthers, on the other hand, really needs some help on the position, while I haven't found a single mock that have them picking a QB as their first pick. Do they have that much confidence in Jake Delhomme and Matt Moore and uhmmm...David Carr??? While it's too early to say anything about Moore after all he's an undrafted player.

If you ask me the Panthers-situation is not that different from the Bears-situation with several "maybes" on the roster, while the Bears keep getting first round QB in almost all mocks I've seen.

Doesn't make sense.
Panthers are AS likely if not more likely to take a signal caller in the first round as compared to the Ravens and the Bears if you ask me.

The main problem is the Panthers have way too much money tied up at the quarterback position to draft a 1st round quarterback. Maybe if they could somehow get rid of Delhomme and Carr's contracts they could manage to do it. But even then they would take a big salary cap hit.

neko4
01-01-2008, 02:49 PM
Troy Smith is still unproven and just a 5th Rounder. Kyle Boller isnt the answear more than likely and McNair could retire soon.
Delhomme has been a solid QB, and could come back just as strong next year. Matt Moore and Troy Smith are in the same position to me, both have looked equal this year. Carr is like Boller, not the answear.

Wavy77
01-01-2008, 02:59 PM
Ok, I guess Panthers not going QB is understandable, while Ravens DO taking a QB still doesn't make much sense to me, considering them having an ok prospect in the position already.
It would make more sense if they got one in FA then, and eventually taking for instance a CB in the first round.

jballa838
01-01-2008, 03:02 PM
Anyone think Ravens may go WR with the pick? It depends on who is gone, but it could be a possibility.

Matthew Jones
01-01-2008, 03:04 PM
I think both teams should look into drafting a quarterback, and although there may not be good value there (Matt Ryan is the only quarterback I would draft that high), I could see either of the two drafting a quarterback in the first round, because although Moore/Smith have performed decently, and Smith does show promise, neither one can be called a franchise quarterback right now.

porter20
01-01-2008, 03:05 PM
It might depend on Atlanta. If they have the #3 pick and go with McFadden, then the "best available player" for Baltimore at #8 will be a QB.

If both Atlanta and Baltimore do not take a QB, then there won't be any QBs taken in the top 10 and it would be very surprising. It might be good news for Carolina, Chicago and maybe even Minnesota to pick up a QB at a cheaper price though....

Wavy77
01-01-2008, 03:11 PM
In general I think there's surprisingly few teams within the first picks who's looking for a QB. If you ask me I don't really see what Dolphins see in John Beck, but I guess it would be stupid to go QB on the first day two years in a row.
How about KC?

toonsterwu
01-01-2008, 03:17 PM
I think the answer is actually simple. People have mentioned QB for the Panthers before, but a lot of people are expecting John Fox to return, which would, to an extent, signal a win now mentality. With Delhomme starting, they look to have, on paper, a solid "reliever" in Matt Moore. That said, I'm not sold Baltimore will look a QB. Has nothing to do with Troy Smith and more to do with how Ozzie runs his draft. If Ryan is on the board, as of now, then yes, I think they go QB. I'm highly questionable if Brohm would be the top value there for Ozzie.

I don't really see Baltimore going WR. Devard Darling finally showed some potential, there's still Demetrius Williams and Mark Clayton, and then the old guy, Desmond Mason. Is there a stud in the group? Certainly debatable, but it's not one of their thinner positions. For the Ravens, I think I'm most curious with whether or not they believe Jared Gaither or Adam Terry can be the LT they need. I'm not sure there's a definitive answer, although I think they probably feel comfortable enough. Beyond that, CB is a top need, with Rolle aging and having medical issues, and their youngsters not developing as fast as they desired. I could see them look defensive front 7 if they really love someone (and depends on what happens with Terrell Suggs).