PDA

View Full Version : Bobby Bowden v. Joe Pa

WildDude
01-01-2008, 02:59 PM
can someone please explain to me what he does? he seems to stand on the sideline doing nothing anymore as if he only cares about retiring after JoePa it seems like Jimbo Fisher should already be given the HC job notice at the game hes doing all the work and bowden just stands there...

Joe Pa however is nuts and even coached on a broken leg when the doctor advised him not to, IMO hes the one who deserves the record not Bowden he has a passion to the game while it seems that Bowden has lost it... and i honestly dont think Joe Pa cares about the record he just cant leave...

BigJohn98
01-01-2008, 03:55 PM
Bobby is just a figure head at FSU. All the other coaches do the coaching.

Iamcanadian
01-01-2008, 09:24 PM
They are both figureheads holding on to see which one dies first so the other can claim to hold the record. It's a sad ending to 2 great careers. They both should have retired long ago.
Paterno is the HC in name only, his coordinators run the show. I'd guess it is the same with Bowden but I still have a feeling he has some say.

skarocksoi
01-01-2008, 09:33 PM
Im sure all of the big decisions come back to both coaches, and I know they do for Joepa. He doesnt do playcalling, but if he wants to call a timeout or make changes, he will. If you watch a Penn State game, there's a big red headed guy always around Joepa, and basically he does whatever Joepa wants.

I dont think Joe does a lot of gameplanning, but he does coach the players and correct them when they make mistakes. If you watch any interview with a PSU player, they all say that Joe will come after them in practice if they make a mistake or do something incorrectly.

I dont understand why people think that just because he's not wearing a headset that he isnt coaching. Thats why you have coordinators. They can worry about playcalling and you can manage the rest of the game.

WildDude
01-01-2008, 09:37 PM
Oh im sure JoePa does all the game planning seeing his old-school offense and not changing things around really... im just saying bowden is out of the game completely while joePa is intense and really into the game, he does do something at least...

BuddyCHRIST
01-01-2008, 11:03 PM
are you kidding me? Paterno deserves the record more? This isn't like an award someone gives to you, its strictly results. If Paterno deserves it more he'll win more games, Bobby has more wins in less games anyways.

And your bashing Bobby because he doesn't get all fired up? Thats just not his personality and its always been like that. Thats why he has someone like Mickey Andrews whose the hot head on the field, they've been working together for a long time and balance each other out. And don't think Paterno is still drawing up offensive plays or even calling them most coaches like these guys who aren't really coordinators at heart just coach their coordinators and thats why they have good assistant coaches who go on to head coaching jobs, and if you ask any of those guys they will say they learned so much from guys like Paterno and Bowden.

I'll admit that both of these guys including Bowden are mostly figureheads but just because Paterno is a more fiery character doesn't make him any more deserving of any record and if anything he's let Penn St. settle in mediocrity alot longer and in a worse situation than Bowden has let FSU get.

WildDude
01-01-2008, 11:54 PM
look all im saying is at a game bowden isnt even there basically he dosent do a THING he just stands there and lets Jimbo do all the work while Joe Pa does all the work and if not for him Bowden would have retired long ago

BuddyCHRIST
01-02-2008, 12:05 AM
what the hell do you mean Joe Pa does all the work? He's not calling the plays, he doesn't have a head set on. Him and Bobby pretty much do the exact same thing. Just because Joe Pa yells at the refs more you think he's doing more as a coach? And Bobby does let Jimbo do most of the work with the offense, because Jimbo is the OC...thats his job, and outside of them discussing a few things Bobby lets Jimbo run the offense. Mickey and Chuck run the defense and Bobby coaches the coaches. He does the same things he's always done. Please, stop talking.

WildDude
01-02-2008, 02:28 AM
look kid, Joe Pa never wore a headset he manages the team while the OC calls the plays and hes the one who wears it

NFLBOY
01-02-2008, 02:13 PM
I'm sure you little kids can do so much better with coaching than these guys. These guys are doing the same thing they have been doing for years. If you don't think they are part of the game plan, then your completely stupid. You have an oc to call plays, same as the dc. Joepa has a yellow sheet of plays that he will haul out if he gets mad and then he will take over the play calling. Watch the games once. He is laways talking to his coaches and he has the trust in them to call the right plays. You kids need to learn a little more about how coaching styles go and then run your mouths. I see alot of coaches wearing headsets, does that mean they are great? Give me a break.

neko4
01-02-2008, 02:20 PM
Bobby is just a figure head at FSU. All the other coaches do the coaching.
aYeah just watch the all state commericals

Iamcanadian
01-02-2008, 02:50 PM
Paterno and Bowden are exactly the same, just figureheads. Neither coaches anymore. Sure, they'll encourage a player during and after practicing but they don't run the practice anymore nor design it. They both give advice but the real decisions have long since been assigned to co ordinators.
Yes, they may yell at a ref about a call but they hardly even know what is actually being called. They are spectators today and nothing more. Look at their ages guys??? they aren't involved, both are just hanging on for that record and neither school will ever be a football power again until these guys retire.
All my foorball life, 55 years of it, I loved Joe Paterno and the way he coached. In a big game, he was almost unbeatable, but to watch him today, I feel sad that he feels he has to hang on for a stupid record. It's a very sad way to end your career. Go out like a champion which means knowing when to call it quits.