PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Off Season/Draft Thread

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Mr. Stiller
01-10-2008, 04:57 PM
i know and i understand that if we would have had that that it would seem better, but the thing i am saying is that we didn't have the o-line, and he still tried to accomplish the inside running as much as he did. and i might also have so much hatred for him because of that dumb ******' 3rd and 7 QB draw call. a big situation that might have put the game away if we get that first down and thats what he came up with. a 245lb QB gaining 7 yards behind one of the worst lines we have had in quite some time. just bitter.

Thats my biggest issue. Yeah that play sucked. But we shouldn't have been in the game.

The game shouldn't have come down to 1 play. I mean, ben had 3 different "1 plays". Not including the fumble at the end of the game.

LaMarr Woodley had "1 Play" when MJD blew past him in coverage for a TD.

The ST's had "1 Play" twice, on the punt return and during the Kickoff return.

This game shouldn't have been won or lost on 1 play. It was a bad call and i'm not defending the call, I'm defending that he's a good O-Coordinator and should be back. The whole team sucked and the fact we came back at hafltime is just a testament to the half time adjustments the OC made.

terribletowel39
01-10-2008, 05:11 PM
i know both of us are sounding like a broken record now and i'm sure you will come back with something so this is my last post on the subject, i think we both know where the other stands, but i dont believe we did anything different in the second half that we did in the first half of that game. BEN just didn't cough the ball up and he played smarter. he didn't throw the ball when nothing was there. he played mistake free football. i give all the glory to Big Ben and our defense for making that game close as it was not Bruce Arians.

Mr. Stiller
01-10-2008, 05:13 PM
i know both of us are sounding like a broken record now and i'm sure you will come back with something so this is my last post on the subject, i think we both know where the other stands, but i dont believe we did anything different in the second half that we did in the first half of that game. BEN just didn't cough the ball up and he played smarter. he didn't throw the ball when nothing was there. he played mistake free football. i give all the glory to Big Ben and our defense for making that game close as it was not Bruce Arians.

We changed the protection schemes in the second half, and we started spreading the field a bit more to get more open.

mikehop05
01-10-2008, 05:14 PM
well, to each man his own opinion

fact is, lebeau is staying which means so is the 3-4

and also arians is staying

so lets talk about what we want to see from arians this up comming year, and lets focus on how we can achieve that through draft and a little FA

Hines
01-10-2008, 05:34 PM
Early Bennett declared. HOnestly, if I had to chose between Bennett and Thomas, I would probably go with Bennett. Although he lacks speed, he has great, great hands. But I would still love either Thomas or Bennett.

mikehop05
01-10-2008, 05:48 PM
Early Bennett declared. HOnestly, if I had to chose between Bennett and Thomas, I would probably go with Bennett. Although he lacks speed, he has great, great hands. But I would still love either Thomas or Bennett.

i dont know how keen i am on bringing in a WR...

at least not in the early rounds... i think we need more help in the trenches right now (assuming starks and faneca leave)

if starks stays then i may like the idea of an early WR then..

Hines
01-10-2008, 05:52 PM
But, like Stiller has been saying, we could always trade our first pick. Get a reciever, corner maybe, and then trench guys. If we dont trade our pick, we can get either Thomas or Bennett in the first, and Merling in the second. If that doesnt work out, we can get Hayden or Langford for the later rounds.

terribletowel39
01-10-2008, 05:56 PM
i say during our interview process at the combine, we make sure everyone that we are thinking of drafting get pumped for a game like Big John for the Jags gets pumped up. we need meaner fronts. more so on the offensive side. the interior just get manjandled too often.

mikehop05
01-10-2008, 08:24 PM
does anyone know if darnell stapleton is close to competing for the starting center job?

Mr. Stiller
01-10-2008, 11:32 PM
does anyone know if darnell stapleton is close to competing for the starting center job?

I don't know, they were extremely impressed with his strength/leverage and ability to not be driven back in the pre-season only being 6'1 285lbs.

He's 6'1 308lbs right now and he's looking even more impressive.

Mahan won't be the starting center next year.. Bank on it.

It won't be Simmons, but Faneca, Stapleton are 2 of the guys looking to be taking the position.

Here's my take on the draft right now.

I'd like to sign Faneca, Starks and Starks(DT/DE Tennessee).

This is a year I want to trade back, add picks, grab 1 OL, and 1 DL, the rest I want skills positions.

Why?

RB, WR, and CB... this is one of the deepest classes I have ever seen for those 3 positions.

Brandon Flowers, Devin Thomas, Earl Bennett, Chris Johnson, Chris Williams, Aqib Talib, DeJuan Tribble, Pat Sims, Mario Manningham, Erin Henderson, Dre Moore are all guys that can be had in round 2.

2009 is a year thats ridiculously deep at Passrushers (Ricky Sapp), LT (Ciron Black), NT (Terrance Taylor/Peria Jerry).

Next year is the OL/DL/Passrushing year.

Sign Max Starks (LT/RT), Randy Starks (DT/DE)

Before I get criticized, I'm just pointing out that this is a ridiculously deep year for talent, we should trade down and maximize that talent haul.

I think we should re-sign Max Starks & our RFA's/ERFA's. Add Randy Starks. He could backup Aaron Smith.

2008 is amazing at the skill positions (CB/RB/WR/ILB).

2009 is amazing at the Trenches (OL/DL/Passrushers/QB).

so without further adu:

1 * 2009 1st, 2008 2nd, 3rd, 4th
3b * Trade for 2 - 4ths and a 5th.

2a) Chris Johnson, RB, East Carolina ~ 5'11 205lbs 4.25

Chris Johnson is going to be what Reggie Bush was supposed to be, but possibly better. He's a game breaker. PR/KR and he is a bowling ball, with speed. He is just too fast to be caught and has great vision. He can run inside, outside, play Slot WR... this guy can play 4 positions. WR/PR/KR/RB. It's just unfair how fast he is. I think this will solve a lot of our woes. Johnson, Parker and Russell give us a very talented repetoire that it's going to be hard to stop. Lastly, he runs low, compact and fast, very hard to tackle. With Johnson, Willie Reid could be cut in Training Camp.

2b) Devin Thomas, WR, Michigan State ~ 6'3 215lbs 4.48

With Hines on the decline due to injuries/age, we need to get a future at #1 WR. Enter Devin Thomas. He's a 6'3 215lbs WR with 4.48 speed. He has great hands and a wide frame which causes problems for opposing defenders to tackle. He has deceptive speed and can stretch the field. With 3 years behind Ward he may even be a better blocker as he has more natural size and strength.

3a) Brandon Flowers, CB, Virginia Tech ~ 5'11 200lbs 4.43

Flowers will be the first complete and talented CB we've had since Rod Woodson. He has Hands, an explosive burst and tackle. The most physical CB I've seen in a while. He could spend a year as a Nickel back and then move up to #1, pushing Ike to #2 and B-Mac at 3.

4a) John Greco, C/OG/RT, Toledo ~ 6'5 320lbs 5.22

John is a bull. He has one of the strongest hand punches off the snap I've seen in a long time. Larry Zierlein wanted a big physical bull for center. Last year he liked Justin Blalock, but I think this year I think Greco could be that guy. He doesn't have the lateral agility to play LT in the pro's but he has the size, the strength and the ability to play center, and be one of those physical guys to root out big NT's. Even if not, I think he could play either of the Guard positions or RT. Even if he's never a starter per se, it's great to have a guy that could potentially back up 4 positions.

4b) Owen Schmitt, FB/TE, West Virginia ~ 6'3 255lbs 4.65

With Danny Kreider leaving, we could use a physical rooting out style Fullback. Schmitt could be a short yardage back, he could play Fullback and also play some TE as 3rd string and be a blocker/receiver. A guy with this versatility gives us a lot of depth with 1 pick.

4c) Tommy Blake, ROLB, Texas Christian ~ 6'3 265lbs 4.73

We all know the deal on Tommy Blake. He's bi-polar. He stopped taking his medicine and had a terrible senior season. On talent alone he's worth this pick. The nice thing is, about 6 months ago, he'd probably cost a 1st rounder. With the picks we have in the two trade downs, This is worth a shot. We have an additional 2009 pick if he doesn't work out. Give him a shot, his motor at 258-262lbs was ridiculous and has a lot of potential. Again, if he works out, awesome. I think a supportive Coach like Tomlin and LeBeau may actually be the perfect place for him to land. If doesn't, he was a 1st round talent, fell to round 4, wasn't for us and we cut him.

4d) Jonathon Goff, LILB, Vanderbilt ~ 6'2 238lbs 4.68

Goff has all the qualities you look at in a MLB. He can drop into zone coverage, he can cover the TE, He can stop the run and he can blitz. He has to bulk up in his lower body, but I think he can replace Clint Kreidwaldt, be a special teams demon and with a year, we can tell if he can be the heir to James Farriors Buck Position. He'd probably be higher rated and done better had he actually had a solid Defensive Line in front of him.

5a) Adrian Arrington, WR, Michigan ~ 6'3 190lbs 4.49

Arrington has good size, deep speed and shown flashes of brilliance. His size and speed, I think he could Challenge Cedrick Wilson immediately for #4. With Chris Johnson taking Reid off the roster, we could use a #5 WR.. Arrington battles Dallas Baker for the #5 position. But I think he could Challenge for Wilsons/Washingtons spot at #4.

5b) Kendall Langford, DE, Hampton ~ 6'6 295lbs 4.94

Langford is a passrushing/run stuffing WDE. With his size he could give us a weakside defensive end passrusher and run stuffer to work behind Keisel. I admit I haven't seen him play, but everything I read is positive. He's big, powerful, physical and quick. At worst he'll be depth, at best he could give us a pass rusher on the front DL..

5c) Tyvon Branch, CB, Connecticut ~ 6'1 200lbs 4.39

Tyvon Branch is a very talented CB thats flying under the radar. He's played Free Safety and doubles up as a KR. He gives us depth at 2 positions. He's a bit raw and relies on athleticism. With DeShea aging... Brandon Flowers and Ike would be the 1-2.. BMac, *** and Branch give us depth. Branch once developed could be a monster CB.

6) Jeremy Thompson, LOLB, Wake Forest ~ 6'5 262lbs 4.75

Thompson is another guy that relies on raw athleticism. He has great hips and drops pretty fluidly in coverage for a 6'5 DE. He's faster than LaMarr Woodley who's going to be the Starter on the Strongside. Thompson could play some passing downs to give Woodley a breather. Haggans is leaving so we could use some depth. He has uncanny explosion off the snap and has the strength to push back tackles that have too much lateral agility to run around.

7) Joey Haynos, TE, Maryland ~ 6'8 268lbs 4.81

I know we have Owen Schmitt now, but There will be 3 TE downs with a 2 back set for Short Yardage where Schmitt will either be the FB or RB. Haynos was the TE that blocked Anthony Spencer 1 on 1 for a lot of their bowl game last year and stuffed him cold. He's a red-zone receiver and short yard receiver only. He doesn't offer much past 10 yards in terms of receiving. He replaces Tuman.

2009 (If Blake Works out)

1st 2 rounds:

1a) Ciron Black, LT, LSU
1b) Jeremy Perry, OG, Oregon State
2) Peria Jerry, NT, Mississippi

2009 (If Blake doesn't work out)

1a) Ciron Black, LT, LSU
1b) Ricky Sapp, ROLB, Clemson
2) Chilo Rachal, OG, USC

Mr. Stiller
01-11-2008, 01:38 AM
The Steelers pick ahead of Seattle no matter what. They are tied in 10-6, thus in the same "tied segment." Teams within a tied segment that lose earlier in the playoffs get priority over teams in a tied segment that lose later in the playoffs. Pittsburgh and Tennessee lost earlier, Seattle and NYG will lose later or win the Superbowl. Therefore, Pittsburgh picks #23 no matter what - Seattle can not move back in front of us.

From NFL.com:
"Within a tied segment, non-playoff clubs are given priority over playoff clubs. Priority of playoff clubs within a tied segment will be based on their advancement in the playoffs, but they will not drop out of their tied segment unless they participate in the Super Bowl."

If that's not clear enough, I can explain it part by part. Not trying to attack anyone's intelligence, but there have been 3-5 threads on this between North Side, South Side, and the Draft War Room, and every time people read those lines from NFL.com and still insist that Seattle will be #23 if they don't make the Superbowl.

Basically..

"Within a tied segment, non-playoff clubs are given priority over playoff clubs."

Teams that don't qualify for the playoffs will have an earlier pick than those teams that make the playoffs.

"Priority of playoff clubs within a tied segment will be based on their advancement in the playoffs"

Teams won't fall out of a tied segment unless they make the superbowl. If two teams are tied, they're draft slot will be defined by their advancement in the playoffs, the team in a tied segment that advances further into the playoffs will get the later draft slot

In other words, we are out of the playoffs, the team we're tied with has gone on to the second round.

"but they will not drop out of their tied segment unless they participate in the Super Bowl."

Basically if two teams are in a tied segment, neither team will drop out of their tied segment, unless they play in the superbowl.

So in our situation... we tied with Seattle. Therefore since Seattle advanced further in the playoffs they will have the later slated pick. They will have the #24 pick if they lose in the next 2 rounds.. However, if they advance to the Superbowl, they will have the 31st pick if they lose, or the 32nd if they win.

TheWood56
01-11-2008, 06:03 AM
http://pit.scout.com/2/718789.html

Thought I may aswell post Tomlin's end of season PC for those of you who are interested and haven't seen it yet.

Also, just quickly on the PC, I'm pleased to hear Tomlin say the OL and the DL are the #1 priority come draft time and in the offseason. He thinks we need some young, developing people in a lot of areas, though if he had to identify any specific areas, he said we need some young, big people. Basically meaning he wants to get better in the trenches on both sides of the ball, which is very pleasing to hear because I agree whole heartedly. He also says that the ST's need addressing and that he'll leave no stone unturned to find the solution to having an elite ST's, though he basically says he'll leave no stone unturned when it comes to any area of this team that needs improving, which is basically everywhere.

Anyway, enjoy the read.

Mr. Stiller
01-11-2008, 08:11 AM
http://pit.scout.com/2/718789.html

Thought I may aswell post Tomlin's end of season PC for those of you who are interested and haven't seen it yet.

Also, just quickly on the PC, I'm pleased to hear Tomlin say the OL and the DL are the #1 priority come draft time and in the offseason. He thinks we need some young, developing people in a lot of areas, though if he had to identify any specific areas, he said we need some young, big people. Basically meaning he wants to get better in the trenches on both sides of the ball, which is very pleasing to hear because I agree whole heartedly. He also says that the ST's need addressing and that he'll leave no stone unturned to find the solution to having an elite ST's, though he basically says he'll leave no stone unturned when it comes to any area of this team that needs improving, which is basically everywhere.

Anyway, enjoy the read.

I would like us to actually Employ a Physical Spread Offense line. Like for example.. Jacksonville, that is the perfect OL for a Spread Offense.

SteelCityNightmare
01-11-2008, 04:17 PM
I wish I could say that this offense could be a smash mouth offense but with poor blocking its not going to happen. And Willie Parker is not a smash mouth type of back. And Najeh is not going to be able to fill that role, I like him but I can admit he is soft for the inside running game. I think there was some poor adjustments made in the second half of the season to the offense, where we were abandoning our gameplan too soon into games. This would let us get behind early and we would go back to it in the 2nd half, only to come up short. We also abandoned plays such as the sprint draw and screens, that were effective in the beginning of the season but were nowhere to be seen later on. Couple that with injuries, etc.

I still think if this team could have stayed healthy and played a complete game instead of 30 minutes every week, they could have done some damage in the playoffs. Does the line need upgraded? Absolutely, but this team as is now is not as bad as they showed at times during the season.

brat316
01-11-2008, 09:58 PM
Its also Arians he wants to have like 3 and 4 WR sets, i think Pitt needs to go back to power running. I think Willie can do it, its just now instead of running through tackles he wants to hi the home run everytime. Instead of pound it away slowly, and then hit the homerun.

He said he is looking for playmaker day D. Jackson fell to us any chance.

Mr. Stiller
01-11-2008, 11:13 PM
Its also Arians he wants to have like 3 and 4 WR sets, i think Pitt needs to go back to power running. I think Willie can do it, its just now instead of running through tackles he wants to hi the home run everytime. Instead of pound it away slowly, and then hit the homerun.

I have been saying I want a lot of trades down to maximize picks.. but if I couldn't trade down.. I heaved and ho'd over all the guys per round and here's what I would do..

1) Jeff Otah, LT, Pittsburgh
2) Philip Merling, DE/Rover, Clemson
3) John Greco, OG/RT, Tolede
4) Terrance Wheatley, CB/KR , Colorado
5) Jonathon Goff, ILB, Vanderbilt
6) Jeremy Thompson, LOLB, Wake Forest

Mr. Stiller
01-11-2008, 11:14 PM

DeSean Jackson hasn't even declared yet.

steelersfan27
01-12-2008, 11:40 AM
I have been saying I want a lot of trades down to maximize picks.. but if I couldn't trade down.. I heaved and ho'd over all the guys per round and here's what I would do..

1) Jeff Otah, LT, Pittsburgh
2) Philip Merling, DE/Rover, Clemson
3) John Greco, OG/RT, Tolede
4) Terrance Wheatley, CB/KR , Colorado
5) Jonathon Goff, ILB, Vanderbilt
6) Jeremy Thompson, LOLB, Wake Forest

can merling play 3-4 DE?

Mr. Stiller
01-12-2008, 11:53 AM
can merling play 3-4 DE?

I don't see why not. He's 6'5 and about 275-280 now anyways. Add 10 lbs and we actually have a passrusher..

But I've defined my perfect draft...

Sign: Our RFA's/ERFA's

Trade our 1st for Atlanta's 2 - 2nds (Brian Brohm) and a 4th.
Trade our 2nd (Original) for Buffalo's 2 -3rds (Martin Rucker), a 4th and a 7th

2a) Jeff Otah, RT, Pittsburgh ~ 6'6 340lbs 5.22

Jeff Otah is a raw monster. He's just a devastating run blocker and very solid pass blocker. He's very raw right now. With a lot of Technique work with Larry Zierlein he could be a beast. Putting him on the right side will lessen the chance of bust, because he definitely has the speed to handle the Burgess' of the NFL and the strength to handle the bigger DE's. As well as the ability to knock DE's, DT's and LB's on their butt. We decided not to re-sign Max Starks, or Alan Faneca.

2b) Chris Williams, LT, Vanderbilt ~ 6'6 320lbs 5.04

Chris Williams gives us a LT of the future. He'll battle Otah for the starting RT position in camp. This will give us future top talented bookends.

3a) Earl Bennett, WR, Vanderbilt ~ 6'2 205lbs 4.49

Bennett is a reliable receiver. I think of him as the tad Smaller, but a bit faster version of Larry Fitzgerald. He has the deceptive speed to get open deep, he has the intelligence to understand zones. He's a crisp route runner, Great body control, even better hands. He'll take #3 as a rookie pushing Nate to #4, while Ced/Reid/Baker battle for the final spot. He'll take over for Hines in a season or two and Hines will extend his career by playing in the slot.

3b) Brandon Flowers, CB, Virginia Tech ~ 5'11 200lbs 4.43

Flowers drops not so much because of "Character concerns" but because of depth of CB talent and overall talent everywhere else. He's a guy that could play Nickel as a Rookie, and work into the #1 role. Finally we have a CB with great hands, man-to-man ability, an explosive step to blow up WR screens and bubble screens and is quite possibly the most physical and abusive CB in the past 5-10 years.

3c) Marcus Howard, ROLB, Georgia ~ 6'3 245lbs 4.57

Howard wasn't on my radar really until the Sugar Bowl. I haven't watched much of Georgia so after seeing him I took a look. He is what they define as a "Speed edge rusher". He has that explosive first step and I think with a year or two behind Harrison with some strength/Conditioning and some work with Butler, he could be a very very good Passrusher.

4a) Terrance Wheatley, CB/KR/PR, Colorado ~ 5'10 180lbs 4.40

We need to get a reliable KR/PR, and I think here's our boy. Wheatley is an underrated CB that has everything you want but size. He'll probably measure in closer to 5'9 at the combine, but he has great speed, and the height disadvantage didn't hinder his play this season. He has a great vertical and understands when to make a play on the ball. This not only gives us an instant boost in returns, it also gives us another talented corner.

4b) D.J. Parker, FS, Virginia Tech ~ 6'1 195lbs 4.45

I think this kid is the faster version of Anthony Smith. He Ballhawks like a FS and hits like a SS. With Ryan Clark's future unknown I think Parker could come in and challenge for a spot. If Clark comes back I think he could beat out Tyrone Carter. Allowing he or Anthony Smith to be the primary backup at SS. This will allow us to use some interesting formations.. for instance. a 4 DL(Woodley, Smith, Hoke, Harrison), 2 LB (Troy/Timmons), 5 DB (Ike, BMac, Flowers, An Smith at SS and Parker at FS). 2 deep big hitting FS's with a solid pass rush up front and allowing us to use Timmons and Troy to our needs as LB's will give us infinite possibilties.

4c) Jon Goff, ILB, Vanderbilt ~ 6'2 238lbs 4.67

Goff is a downhill MLB that can play in coverage. He needs to add some lower body strength and bulk but he can run stop with the best of them. He played behind a pretty bad DL at Vandy and was still a playmaker. I think he takes Kreidwaldts position and possibly the Buck Job when Farrior Retires.

5) Nick Hayden, LDE, Wisconsin ~ 6'4 310lbs 5.06

We saw what happened with the DL when Aaron Smith went down. We need a young guy in his mold to bring into the fold. Enter Nick Hayden. He's playing 4-3 NT at Wisconsin, so he's no stranger to Double teams and stopping the run. His wide frame and long arms, coupled with his strength and motor allow us to not have to re-sign Nick Eason. Hayden works in as the #2 LDE and eventually when Aaron Retires, Hayden will be the fulltime starter.

6) Jeremy Thompson, LOLB, Wake Forest ~ 6'5 262lbs 4.75

Thompson is a raw speedy and explosive passrusher. With this pick we're allowing Clark Haggans to leave but we do need depth. He can come in on passing downs and some 4-DL downs to give LaMarr a breather. Hey, Competition never hurt anyone.

7) Barry Booker, RDE, Virginia Tech ~ 6'4 298lbs 4.98

Booker is a very solid UT for the Hokies. He's got size, strength, passrushing moves and speed. He's played about 15%-20% of his snaps at WDE this year when they swapped Chris Ellis to LDE. He's not a great 4-3 WDE passrusher, but he can back up a OT and get into the backfield applying pressure. I'm interested seeing him in a 3-4. He has the prototypical size at 6'4, and he's nearly 300lbs boasting great athleticism. He'll replace Kirschke.

Mr. Stiller
01-12-2008, 01:50 PM
Word has it that Gholston received a 2nd round grade.

and that Fili Maola is coming out.

If thats the case, I pray to GOD that our first 2 picks are Gholston then Maola.

Moala would be the perfect SDE, Gholston and Woodley on the edges... Man.

Hines
01-12-2008, 02:04 PM
Do you really think Gholston will fall to us in the first?

Mr. Stiller
01-12-2008, 02:12 PM
Do you really think Gholston will fall to us in the first?

I don't, but I didn't expect Ben to fall to 11, or Holmes to 26... So...It's very Possible.

Hines
01-12-2008, 02:16 PM
I don't, but I didn't expect Ben to fall to 11, or Holmes to 26... So...It's very Possible.

Its possible yes, but it is very, very unlikely. He has the power, speed, agility, basically everything you want in a defensive player. If he falls out of the top 15, I will really be suprised. He does have some flaws though. I did see him over persue a lot of plays in the backfield in the NC game. But I dont think that flaw will make him drop to us at 24.

OH, and I think you forgot Heath at 30. =)

Mr. Stiller
01-12-2008, 02:25 PM
Its possible yes, but it is very, very unlikely. He has the power, speed, agility, basically everything you want in a defensive player. If he falls out of the top 15, I will really be suprised. He does have some flaws though. I did see him over persue a lot of plays in the backfield in the NC game. But I dont think that flaw will make him drop to us at 24.

OH, and I think you forgot Heath at 30. =)

exactly..

I would love to add him, Moala, Flowers, Cousins, Goff, and Thompson

Aaron Smith ~ Casey Hampton ~ Brett Keisel
Fili Maola ~ Chris Hoke ~ UDFA/McBean/Kirschke

Woodley ~ Farrior ~ Timmons ~ Harrison
Thompson ~ Goff ~ Foote ~ Gholston

Hines
01-12-2008, 02:27 PM
If we did add Gholston, and Maola, and Flowers, we would possibly have the best defense for the next 10 years. I would realy, really love that defense.

AlexDown
01-12-2008, 02:31 PM

Very possible? I don't know about that....

TerribleEd
01-12-2008, 05:01 PM
I was doing some reading about Titans DT Randy Starks today since Mr. Stiller has been suggesting for some time that he would be a good FA acquisition for the Steelers this offseason.

I was confused as to why a lot of Titans writers and fans seem to want to let him go, even though some of the other information on him shows that he's been getting better every year and is still only 24 years old with 3 seasons now under his belt. He was one of the Titans leading tacklers this season and had 3 sacks and 13 QB hurries.

I then found out he was arrested earlier this season for what was described as a pretty nasty domestic violence occurence. I am assuming that this is the primary reason Titan fans want to see him go.

Does anyone here know anything else about why these Titan fans and writers don't care to see him extended????

And based on the domestic violence alone, is this really the type of guy we would want to see join the Steelers???

I look forward to your feedback!

TheWood56
01-12-2008, 11:38 PM
Word has it that Gholston received a 2nd round grade.

and that Fili Maola is coming out.

If thats the case, I pray to GOD that our first 2 picks are Gholston then Maola.

Moala would be the perfect SDE, Gholston and Woodley on the edges... Man.

Don't even go there. That's too good to even imagine. This is about as likely as me not hating the Patriots and Belichick, or even as likely as Michael Vick coming to Pittsburgh after he's served his time and beating out Casey Hampton for the NT position.

If we drafted both Gholston and Moala, I would do a backflip off my roof, blind folded, onto a cactus. That's just how much I would want this scenario to go down, though unfortunately, it's just too good to be true. I don't think we draft Gholston or even Moala, let alone the both of them.

Also, unfortunately, even if by some flukey chance Gholston falls to us in the 1st round, I don't think we even select him, especially given the fact that we drafted LB's in both rounds 1 and 2 of last years draft. Once again, even given how good he is and his potential, I unfortunately don't think we select him. I could see us possibly drafting Moala if he was there in the 2nd round, though I'm pretty sure that if we really wanted Moala, we'd have to select him with our 1st rounder.

steelersfan27
01-13-2008, 04:58 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft08/news/story?id=3194897

Steve Slaton is entering the draft. What do you guys think of him as a multi-dimensional threat on offense and a dangerous pr/kr?

brat316
01-13-2008, 05:21 PM
i think he could be a avg. returner, he needs to add weight, at 190 playing Rb, for him might be hard. If he adds weight he could become decent, I think kind of like Westbrooke, but I don't know how good his hands are.

Mr. Stiller
01-14-2008, 06:33 AM
I was doing some reading about Titans DT Randy Starks today since Mr. Stiller has been suggesting for some time that he would be a good FA acquisition for the Steelers this offseason.

I was confused as to why a lot of Titans writers and fans seem to want to let him go, even though some of the other information on him shows that he's been getting better every year and is still only 24 years old with 3 seasons now under his belt. He was one of the Titans leading tacklers this season and had 3 sacks and 13 QB hurries.

I then found out he was arrested earlier this season for what was described as a pretty nasty domestic violence occurence. I am assuming that this is the primary reason Titan fans want to see him go.

Does anyone here know anything else about why these Titan fans and writers don't care to see him extended????

And based on the domestic violence alone, is this really the type of guy we would want to see join the Steelers???

He was a 3-4 DE in College, I don't think he provides the abilities that they want in a 4-3 DT.

Mr. Stiller
01-14-2008, 07:11 AM
6 pick mock:

1) Sam Baker, LT, USC ~ 6'5 310lbs 5.02

Baker allows Marvel to play his more natural RT position, even as a rookie. We can then decide if we want to re-sign Marvel for another 2-3 years.

2) Chilo Rachal, RG, USC ~ 6'5 315lbs 5.12

Rachal is a big physical OG. Watching USC he moves people. He's basically Kemo sized, Kemo Strength, smarter and has more upside. He could come in and challenge at RG immediately.

3) Brandon Flowers, CB, Virginia Tech ~ 5'11 200lbs 4.43

A physical corner that has done great at VT playing with Cushions. Physical, Fast, great hands, physical, explosive, physical, great upside and very physical are words you could use to describe him. Did I mention how physical he is? He could start at Nickel this season behind Ike and BMac. Then move up to Starter next year.

4) Marcus Howard, ROLB, Georgia ~ 6'3 240lbs 4.57

Howard is a physical and extremely fast DE/OLB. With Haggans leaving and the fact that Harrison, Arnold and Frazier, Andre haven't shown anything makes me worried. If we lose one or the other we could be in trouble.

I figure by the time Camp is over he could be 245-250, have the speed still, and Could starks for Harrison, or move Harrison to SOLB if Woodley goes down. He has dropped into coverage quite a bit so, he's got a pretty good idea of what we're doing.

5) Kendall Langford, LDE, Hampton ~ 6'6 295lbs 4.89

We love having "Big" passrushers from college to play 3-4 DE. I think Langford can take Kirschke's spot and give us an actual passrusher on the right side.

6) Rafael Little, RB/KR/PR, Kentucky ~ 5'9 175lbs 4.35

I love Chris Johnson, but unless we trade down I can't see us getting him. Rafael Johnson gives us another dimension as well. He would be basically our version of Darren Sproles, the KR/PR and RB that we can use on screens and split out to WR. I think he's underappreciated especially as a KR.

I actually wouldn't be that upset if we could land those guys like that.

As for a trade mock.

Trading our 1st and 2009 2nd for Minnesotas 2009 1st, 2008 2nd, 2-3rds and a 5th.

2a) Sam Baker, LT, USC ~ 6'5 310lbs 5.02

Baker could fall to here. Again he would move Marvel to RT.

2b) Chilo Rachal, RG, USC ~ 6'5 315lbs 5.12

Rachal is a big physical OG. Watching USC he moves people. He's basically Kemo sized, Kemo Strength, smarter and has more upside. He could come in and challenge at RG immediately.

3a) Earl Bennett, WR, Vanderbilt ~ 6'1 210lbs 4.49

Instantly #3 WR and trains under Hines to be our new #1 when Hines starts breaking down and moves to #3. Little Larry Fitzgerald.

A physical corner that has done great at VT playing with Cushions. Physical, Fast, great hands, physical, explosive, physical, great upside and very physical are words you could use to describe him. Did I mention how physical he is? He could start at Nickel this season behind Ike and BMac. Then move up to Starter next year.

3c) Jacob Tamme, TE, Kentucky ~ 6'4 235lbs 4.55

I know some guys are thinking "WHAT?!?! ANOTHER 3rd ROUND TE?". Yeah. Arians likes to run that 3-TE set. Heath Miller is the most complete, Spaeth is being developed as a blocker and he has make huge strides in that department, but he's not a guy you could split out wide, or expect to make a catch 20 yards downfield. Spaeth, and Miller are great Red zone threats. As for Tamme, he's a glorified WR playing TE (Kellen Winslow?) He's a great receiver. He gives us another weapon in the passing game. He's that "Big WR" that a lot of us like. Earl Bennett, Jacob Tamme give us 2 more reliable guys that are physical Tamme can split out wide and give CB's fits with his size and physical ability to go after the ball. he can play inline to chip a DE or OLB and head out.

4) Marcus Howard, ROLB, Georgia ~ 6'3 240lbs 4.57

Howard is a physical and extremely fast DE/OLB. With Haggans leaving and the fact that Harrison, Arnold and Frazier, Andre haven't shown anything makes me worried. If we lose one or the other we could be in trouble.

I figure by the time Camp is over he could be 245-250, have the speed still, and Could starks for Harrison, or move Harrison to SOLB if Woodley goes down. He has dropped into coverage quite a bit so, he's got a pretty good idea of what we're doing.

5a) Kendall Langford, RDE, Hampton ~ 6'6 295lbs 4.89

We love having "Big" passrushers from college to play 3-4 DE. I think Langford can take Kirschke's spot and give us an actual passrusher on the right side.

5b) Jordan Dizon, OLB(RILB), Colorado ~ 6'1 225lbs 4.58

This is more of a ST pick than a ILB depth pick. I think Kreidwaldt should be done, we bring Dizon in train him behind Timmons when he starts at RILB, moving Foote to backup Buck. Both Dizon and Foote will be great ST contributors.

6) Rafael Little, RB/KR/PR, Kentucky ~ 5'9 175lbs 4.35

I love Chris Johnson, but unless we trade down I can't see us getting him. Rafael Johnson gives us another dimension as well. He would be basically our version of Darren Sproles, the KR/PR and RB that we can use on screens and split out to WR. I think he's underappreciated especially as a KR.

UDFA's:

Alex Brink, QB, Washington State ~ Solid QB to develop behind Batch.....
Xavier Omon, RB, NW Missouri State ~ Bowling Ball RB to give depth in case of injury.
Mike Cox, FB, Georgia Tech ~ Kreider Clone to play St's and FB Backup.
Mikey Henderson, WR, Georgia ~ KR to challenge Little.
Tony Burks, WR, Mississippi State ~ Big WR to fight for the 4th/5th spot.
Corey Clark, OT, Texas A&M ~ Big OT to develop.
Frank Dunbar, OT/OG, Middle Tennessee State ~ Big, Bullish G/T to develop.
Kyle DeVan, C, Oregon State ~ That OSU Interior is amazing.. Perry Schuenning and DeVan. DeVan challenges Mahan for Backup.

Marcus Dixon, SDE, Hampton ~ 6'5 298lb SDE to backup and take over for Eason.
Robert Henderson, WDE, Southern Miss ~ Challenge for backup Spot.
Gabe Long, NT, Utah ~ A guy to PS and develop behind Hoke & Hampton.
Dorian Smith, ROLB, Oregon State ~ A guy to challenge Howard and depth.
Larry Grant, RILB, Ohio State ~ Competition for Dizon.
Andy Studebaker, LILB, Wheaton ~ Competition for Larry Foote.
Rudolph Hardie, LOLB, Howard ~ A compact powerful LOLB to backup Woodley, ST's.
Brandon Carr, CB, Grand Valley State ~ Challenge for a spot, ST's.
Brian Witherspoon, CB, Stillman ~ Challenge for depth.
Haruki Nakamura, FS, Cincinnati ~ Challenge for depth, ST's.
Dowayne Davis, SS, Syracuse ~ Challenge for Depth, St's.

I like competition, I figure bring in UDFA's for a lot of competition.

SteelCityNightmare
01-14-2008, 12:33 PM

Do you remember the legal mess that Santonio Holmes was in when he first came to the Steelers? He has really turned it around and there is no reason that Starks could not do the same thing.

mikehop05
01-14-2008, 04:30 PM
Do you remember the legal mess that Santonio Holmes was in when he first came to the Steelers? He has really turned it around and there is no reason that Starks could not do the same thing.

that was a little thing compared to what starks is going through, but i agree... he can turn it around and id love for him to do it in pittsburgh

TerribleEd
01-14-2008, 06:31 PM
that was a little thing compared to what starks is going through, but i agree... he can turn it around and id love for him to do it in pittsburgh

I took my curiousity to a Titans message board and the general consensus is that he's just not that good. Maybe he's not good, or maybe he needs to be in a 3-4. He would have to come at the right price, I think.

Mr. Stiller
01-14-2008, 09:21 PM

Najeh is facing domestic abuse charges...

Hines
01-14-2008, 10:01 PM
I have a mock outlined and drafted out. It might be posted either tommarow or Wednesday.

Mr. Stiller
01-14-2008, 10:33 PM
With Oher declaring.. Sam Baker could be an amazing top of the 2nd round pick.

brat316
01-15-2008, 01:08 AM
i'm not big on USC players from the Pete Caroll era, most of them think they are amazing and do nothing, or are bad and where made to look good, in the scheme. That is just my assesment of USC players.

Jarrett, Williams, Bing, Justice,

sure a few become decent

Tatpu, Linert still waiting on him.

steel man
01-15-2008, 08:04 AM
i still have hope that we will land James Laurinaitis - LB - Ohio St., with him staying in school we might land him next year. as you can tell by my sig he is one of my favorite players.

Mr. Stiller
01-15-2008, 08:11 AM
i'm not big on USC players from the Pete Caroll era, most of them think they are amazing and do nothing, or are bad and where made to look good, in the scheme. That is just my assesment of USC players.

Jarrett, Williams, Bing, Justice,

sure a few become decent

Tatpu, Linert still waiting on him.

Polamalu? Carson Palmer? Mike Patterson? Steve Smith?

I think it's more over the fact that they send EVERYONE from their team to the pro's.

Jakey
01-15-2008, 08:46 AM
Glad to be back guys!!! :D I've been thinking through a few draft scenarios over the last week...and this is one i like (albiet unrealistic)

Trade Steelers 1st for Atlanta's 2nds and 4th...

2a - Chris Williams ~ OT ~ 6'6" ~ 315 ~ 5.25
2b - Pat Sims ~ DE ~ 6'4" ~ 312 ~ 4.98
2c - Devin Thomas ~ WR ~ 6'2" ~ 215 ~ 4.47

3 - Brandon Flowers ~ CB ~ 5'10" ~ 190 ~ 4.47

4a - Kevin Smith ~ RB ~ 6'1" ~ 212 ~ 4.50
4b - Chilo Rachal ~ OG ~ 6'5" ~ 315 ~ 5.21

5 - Titus Brown ~ OLB ~ 6'3" ~ 250 ~ 4.70

6 - Darrius Reynaud ~ WR/KR ~ 5'10" ~ 205 ~ 4.45

Some UDFA's:

Joey Haynos - TE
Bruce Hocker - WR
Lance Leggett - WR
Fernando Velasco - C
Geoff Schwartz - OG
Andrew Bain - OG
Mike Fladell - OG
Ropati Pitoitua - DE
Richard Clebert - NT
Nelson Coleman - ILB
Stanford Keglar - ILB
Larry Grant - ILB
Andy Studebacker - OLB
Rudolph Hardie - OLB
Mikey Henderson - KR
Brian Witherspoon - KR
Jerrid Gaines - KR

And Mr. Stiller you keep posting that Stapleton is 6'1" ... but at the combine he measured 6031 (in combine numbers) ... which is over 6'3". So if he's got his weight up to 308lbs, i think he's an ideal size. And he has got to be an upgrade over Mahan!!! :)

steel man
01-15-2008, 10:00 AM
i am going to take a shot at a mock, but after reading about Vernon Gholston getting a 2nd rd grade i might change it later. having said that here we go:

1.) Adarius Bowman - WR - OSU - 6'4" - 220lbs
we need a red zone threat to go along with Miller. when we had Plex he was Ben's favorite target and he put up good numbers. with Ben being even better , if we add a tall good handed WR that would make us have an O as good as anybody in the NFL.

2.) Mike Pollak - C - Arz St. - 6'4" - 292lbs
everyone keeps saying that we need OT and OG but the C is the leader of the OL and Sean done nothing good, so we need upgraded at that position also. this guy is a big nasty tough S.O.B. he could be added to the line of great Steeler Center's. this way instead of moving someone from another position to C why not draft a true C and someone that has played that position his whole career.

3.) Owen Schmitt - FB- WVU - 6'3" - 260lbs
this is my favorite player in the draft. i know a lot of you are going to say 1 of 2 things 1) we don't need a FB and that Cary Davis did a good job and he did but he is not an Owen Schmitt. 2) that this is to high of a pick for him and i would have to strongly disagree and here's why - everyone agrees that we need help blocking and having Schmitt in there would be like having another OLineman in there and he can pick up the blitz as good as anyone. - he has blocked for speed backs his whole career, Parker is a speed back. this is one of the most important reasons why i think Owen would be a perfect pick for us and why i would spend a 3rd pick on him and that reason is blocking down field, with him blocking down field that would open up a lot more holes for Parker which in turn means more home run plays. with Schmitt blocking down field it is like having an extra lineman down field, where if you pull a guard he would not get to the 2nd tier like Schmitt would. Schmitt also has great hands which if needed he could play TE, but that gives us another weapon. as far as short yardage backs go we would have the best in Schmitt, no one would be better than Schmitt in short yardage plus he can break runs longer than just 3-4 yard also. he has the best attitude also so and can be a vocal leader and leads by example. no one plays any harder than Schmitt and no one is any tougher than Schmitt either, when a guy bends and breaks face masks all the time that is giving 120% on every play and is a strong, tough S.O.B. i do not think this would be a pick that we would regret, i would consider it a steal.

4.) Ben Moffitt - LB - USF - 6'2" - 240lbs or Philip Wheeler - GT - 6'2" - 230lbs
with us running the 3-4 our D is centered around our LBers so i think we should draft one every year. this was a hard pick for me because there is several good ones out there both ILB and OLB,(others that i like are Taveres Gooden, J Leman, Ezra Butler-all of which i really like and can plug in this spot and not think twice about it)

Ben reminds me of a MLB that plays for the Bears. the only downfall that i could find was his injuries that he has had.he is a football player and he is always around the ball. he would be a solid player for us.

Wheeler is just sick. he is a hitter that can run side line to side line. he has a motor that never stops. he is from the Gregg Lloyd mold. he will strike fear into players.

5.)Andrew Bain - OG - The "U" - 6'3" - 344lbs or Adam Kraus - Mich - 6'6" - 297lbs
Bain is another bid strong nasty OLineman. he is a road grader and would be able to open holes for Parker. at 344lbs he should not get pushed around and be able to block for Ben.

Kraus - has a huge frame to build on. he is a smart football player. i would work with him and he may would end up as a better OT, either way i feel like he will be a player that we could count on for years to come.

6.) Darnell Terrell - CB - Missouri - 6'3" - 205lbs
i like Terrell because of his size, he has the height to contend with the tall WR's in t he NFL, like the Moss's and the Owen's of the league. he can jump with them and he has the speed to not get burnt on the big play. with the 6th rd pick he would be worth taking a shot on, we need help in the secondary.

tell me what you think. they are not all sexy picks but they fill needs and holes.

Palmer26
01-15-2008, 10:57 AM
With Oher declaring.. Sam Baker could be an amazing top of the 2nd round pick.

What about Oher himself? Anyone ever looked into his story? As a 15 year old he was homeless, couldn't read and could barely talk. At 17, he was the #1 OT recruit in the country. The kid has perseverance. Not to mention his constant comparisons to Orlando Pace ain't too shabby either.

Oher is not ranked say as a Top 15 pick because: a) He is a Jr OT b) He played at Ol Miss rather than say LSU c) This is a very deep OT class.

Now Sam Baker has been my #1 target all year as I believe a legit LT has to be priority with a franchise QB like Ben. Marvel Smith is at the end of the road. His play has gone south, not to mention he is in the last year of his contract. I am now heavily looking at Oher, instead of Baker. Oher is a BIG LT with athleticism. At best he is an All-Pro LT. At worst, you shift him inside at LG and forget about Alan Faneca.

Oher or Baker, I'll take either.

mikehop05
01-15-2008, 11:35 AM
no one thinks that trai essex deserves a shot at LT next season?

gunners2020
01-15-2008, 01:20 PM
Hey Guys, I'm a noob Here but just love the steelers.

Any way i thought i would post up my mock let me know what you lot think.

1) Jeff Otah - Pittsburgh - OT - Height: 6-6. Weight: 340

I would have loved it to be Oher, but in my opinion he will shoot up the boards and get drafted in the top fifteen i have no doubt he wont make it past the bears. Oher declaring, pushes down otah, and thankfully he falls right into our laps. He may be very raw, but he has limitless potential, in my opinion he will sit behind marvel for a year and then take over in 2009.

2) Adarius Bowman - Oklahoma State - WR - Height: 6-4. Weight: 215

Lets face it Hines is getting up there, and apart from Holmes the rest of our wr depth is a joke, yes nate washington has all the physical tools but his hands make ike taylor look like randy moss. Wilson is over paid, and willy reid is done.
so we take a home run pick in the 2nd a serious injury and an abouve average wide receiver class push TO lite down the board, and we have our future number 1 receiver. blessed with a great physic, and soft hands Bowman will spend the next couple of years in the slot. he will provide both home run play maker as well as a great redzone target, just imagine him, miller and speath, gonna cause defenses nightmares, all the while he will also be learning all of hines' tricks of the trade, ready to take over his mantle in 2010.

3) Chris Johnson - East Carolina - RB - Height: 5-11. Weight: 200

With the wealth of junior talent, going out for this draft, the immensely talented johnson is pushed back to the third, the number one senior in the class, refered to as a poor mans reggie bush, johnson combines explosive pace and great elusiveness, not to mention he is a great reciver, so should help us introduce a few more screen plays. Another big factor in this selection is that he is a great return man, and that should mean an end to roussum. overall johnson will be a great back up to willie, and could eventually take over from him.

4) Bruce Davis - UCLA - OLB -Height: 6-3. Weight: 237

James Harison had a steller season, but unfortunately silverback is getting up there in years already. factor in that Timmons could line up a ILB, our OLB depth looks week, we remedy, this by taking a classic tweener, davis though undersized, can be built on, he also a great motor, and can drop back into coverage effectively. This guy reminds me of anthony spencer and to get him here would be great.

5) Kendall Langford - Hampton - DE - Height: 6-6. Weight: 294

We all know that the D-line is getting old and we all know how much we suffered when aaron smith was out, To freshen things up we get the massive langford, This guy is just explosive of the snap, and really puounds the opposition D,Has a great mean streaks too, he's still raw though but with the proper coaching could really be a player.

6) Darnell Terrell - Missouri - CB/S - Height: 6-3. Weight: 205 or
Zack Bowman - Nebraska - CB - Height: 6-2. Weight: 195

Darnell Terrell, has great speed for his size 4.39, strong for a CB so will be able to support the run as well as contribute on special teams, also good in coverage. can start as a nickel back and play on special teams. due to his
size he could also line up as safety.

Zack Bowman is a very unlucky man, stuck down with a acl tear and then another knee injury, just as he was hitting his stride. Injurys plunge him down the board. But don't be put off, this guy can play, like terrel he has great size, but he also has great instincts, a natural ballhawk, as well a hard hitter so he can support the run and CB blitz.
We all know Tomlin like to groom CB's well he would have a hell of a player on his hands if he took Bowman.

mikehop05
01-15-2008, 01:36 PM
gunners thats a great mock, especially if it urs first one

i dont think bowman will be there with our 2nd but i think most of the other picks are great value and will probably be there

gunners2020
01-15-2008, 01:39 PM
gunners thats a great mock, especially if it urs first one

i dont think bowman will be there with our 2nd but i think most of the other picks are great value and will probably be there

Thanks mike, it took ages to do, agree with Bowman, but we can always hope, if not i would take devin thomas in the second instead

Jakey
01-15-2008, 01:53 PM
Yeah good mock man...but Davis hasnt got the bulk to be a 3-4 OLB...and i think it would be a waste of his talents trying to fit him in. If you are looking for a OLB in round 4, some options may be; Titus Brown, Darrell Robertson, Cliff Avril or Tommy Blake...i think they would be more ideal players.

skarocksoi
01-15-2008, 02:46 PM
I like James Hardy for a second round reciever. He's a big, physical presence that we haven't had since Plax left.

I think first round OT, second round WR, third CB or BPA, then get OL, DL, and maybe LB depth the rest of the way. Or a trade down from the first to the second to snag some extra picks. We dont really need too many starters, just depth and guys to train up to eventually be starters.

steel man
01-15-2008, 03:15 PM
i am going to take a shot at a mock, but after reading about Vernon Gholston getting a 2nd rd grade i might change it later. having said that here we go:

1.) Adarius Bowman - WR - OSU - 6'4" - 220lbs
we need a red zone threat to go along with Miller. when we had Plex he was Ben's favorite target and he put up good numbers. with Ben being even better , if we add a tall good handed WR that would make us have an O as good as anybody in the NFL.

2.) Mike Pollak - C - Arz St. - 6'4" - 292lbs
everyone keeps saying that we need OT and OG but the C is the leader of the OL and Sean done nothing good, so we need upgraded at that position also. this guy is a big nasty tough S.O.B. he could be added to the line of great Steeler Center's. this way instead of moving someone from another position to C why not draft a true C and someone that has played that position his whole career.

3.) Owen Schmitt - FB- WVU - 6'3" - 260lbs
this is my favorite player in the draft. i know a lot of you are going to say 1 of 2 things 1) we don't need a FB and that Cary Davis did a good job and he did but he is not an Owen Schmitt. 2) that this is to high of a pick for him and i would have to strongly disagree and here's why - everyone agrees that we need help blocking and having Schmitt in there would be like having another OLineman in there and he can pick up the blitz as good as anyone. - he has blocked for speed backs his whole career, Parker is a speed back. this is one of the most important reasons why i think Owen would be a perfect pick for us and why i would spend a 3rd pick on him and that reason is blocking down field, with him blocking down field that would open up a lot more holes for Parker which in turn means more home run plays. with Schmitt blocking down field it is like having an extra lineman down field, where if you pull a guard he would not get to the 2nd tier like Schmitt would. Schmitt also has great hands which if needed he could play TE, but that gives us another weapon. as far as short yardage backs go we would have the best in Schmitt, no one would be better than Schmitt in short yardage plus he can break runs longer than just 3-4 yard also. he has the best attitude also so and can be a vocal leader and leads by example. no one plays any harder than Schmitt and no one is any tougher than Schmitt either, when a guy bends and breaks face masks all the time that is giving 120% on every play and is a strong, tough S.O.B. i do not think this would be a pick that we would regret, i would consider it a steal.

4.) Ben Moffitt - LB - USF - 6'2" - 240lbs or Philip Wheeler - GT - 6'2" - 230lbs
with us running the 3-4 our D is centered around our LBers so i think we should draft one every year. this was a hard pick for me because there is several good ones out there both ILB and OLB,(others that i like are Taveres Gooden, J Leman, Ezra Butler-all of which i really like and can plug in this spot and not think twice about it)

Ben reminds me of a MLB that plays for the Bears. the only downfall that i could find was his injuries that he has had.he is a football player and he is always around the ball. he would be a solid player for us.

Wheeler is just sick. he is a hitter that can run side line to side line. he has a motor that never stops. he is from the Gregg Lloyd mold. he will strike fear into players.

5.)Andrew Bain - OG - The "U" - 6'3" - 344lbs or Adam Kraus - Mich - 6'6" - 297lbs
Bain is another bid strong nasty OLineman. he is a road grader and would be able to open holes for Parker. at 344lbs he should not get pushed around and be able to block for Ben.

Kraus - has a huge frame to build on. he is a smart football player. i would work with him and he may would end up as a better OT, either way i feel like he will be a player that we could count on for years to come.

6.) Darnell Terrell - CB - Missouri - 6'3" - 205lbs
i like Terrell because of his size, he has the height to contend with the tall WR's in t he NFL, like the Moss's and the Owen's of the league. he can jump with them and he has the speed to not get burnt on the big play. with the 6th rd pick he would be worth taking a shot on, we need help in the secondary.

tell me what you think. they are not all sexy picks but they fill needs and holes.

no one has commented on my mock. i want to get your option on it because i really want to try to nail our picks this year. i want to see if i can get 4 out of the 6 right. last year i kept doing a wish mock. last year i only got 3 of our picks right, so i am going to try hard this year so i need you guys to comment on it. thanks guys

gunners2020
01-15-2008, 03:16 PM
Yeah good mock man...but Davis hasnt got the bulk to be a 3-4 OLB...and i think it would be a waste of his talents trying to fit him in. If you are looking for a OLB in round 4, some options may be; Titus Brown, Darrell Robertson, Cliff Avril or Tommy Blake...i think they would be more ideal players.

Thanks man, i was looking at Avril but thought he would go in the third, i would love him on the steelers, as for Blake i think he has too many off the field issues to waste a fourth on. will check out Robertson and brown.

i was thinking of drafting a CB in the fourth and then taking a olb in the 6th, but i really wanted to get zach bowman in the draft

Hines
01-15-2008, 03:22 PM
I did a mock, it will be up ASAP, its really, really big so yeah.

mikehop05
01-15-2008, 04:37 PM
no one has commented on my mock. i want to get your option on it because i really want to try to nail our picks this year. i want to see if i can get 4 out of the 6 right. last year i kept doing a wish mock. last year i only got 3 of our picks right, so i am going to try hard this year so i need you guys to comment on it. thanks guys

i love bowman but right now i am not sure how much of a need o-line will be... so its hard to saw if picking bowman in the first while guys like otah, oher, or baker are available, is a good idea

ive heard good things about pollack but i havnt seen film... am waiting on that to make my decision about it

schmitt - i am going to agree with your number 1) we do not really need a fullback... we also just grabbed another FB to compete with davis... also i think he won't be there by our 3rd pick... mike alstott was a 2nd round pick and this guy = mike alstott

moffit is a guy who i think is pretty good, again i havnt seen much of him play this year, but i wouldnt argue with this pick atm

not really a fan of bain or kraus, but i do not argue with grabbing more linemen

terrell, eh. may be a project guy, id rather get a returner here like darius raynad

what i think this mock lacks:

Returner / DEFENSIVE linemen...

we all say how much our team suffered when smith went down, keisel is not the answer to any problems... bottom line is our d-line is aging and really the only guy that we have who is still young is mcbean and he is very unproven at this point

Mr. Stiller
01-15-2008, 06:21 PM
Hey Guys, I'm a noob Here but just love the steelers.

Any way i thought i would post up my mock let me know what you lot think.

I would have loved it to be Oher, but in my opinion he will shoot up the boards and get drafted in the top fifteen i have no doubt he wont make it past the bears. Oher declaring, pushes down otah, and thankfully he falls right into our laps. He may be very raw, but he has limitless potential, in my opinion he will sit behind marvel for a year and then take over in 2009.

Great Pick. I don't think he sits a Year, I think he starts at RT.

2) Adarius Bowman - Oklahoma State - WR - Height: 6-4. Weight: 215

Lets face it Hines is getting up there, and apart from Holmes the rest of our wr depth is a joke, yes nate washington has all the physical tools but his hands make ike taylor look like randy moss. Wilson is over paid, and willy reid is done.
so we take a home run pick in the 2nd a serious injury and an abouve average wide receiver class push TO lite down the board, and we have our future number 1 receiver. blessed with a great physic, and soft hands Bowman will spend the next couple of years in the slot. he will provide both home run play maker as well as a great redzone target, just imagine him, miller and speath, gonna cause defenses nightmares, all the while he will also be learning all of hines' tricks of the trade, ready to take over his mantle in 2010.

Not really a fan of Bowman.. We could land possibly either Earl Bennett of Vanderbilt or Devin Thomas of Michigan State here. Both would be better than Bowman as they're more physical.

3) Chris Johnson - East Carolina - RB - Height: 5-11. Weight: 200

With the wealth of junior talent, going out for this draft, the immensely talented johnson is pushed back to the third, the number one senior in the class, refered to as a poor mans reggie bush, johnson combines explosive pace and great elusiveness, not to mention he is a great reciver, so should help us introduce a few more screen plays. Another big factor in this selection is that he is a great return man, and that should mean an end to roussum. overall johnson will be a great back up to willie, and could eventually take over from him.

Love this pick, I love a guy that can play slot WR, #3 RB, KR/PR.

4) Bruce Davis - UCLA - OLB -Height: 6-3. Weight: 237

James Harison had a steller season, but unfortunately silverback is getting up there in years already. factor in that Timmons could line up a ILB, our OLB depth looks week, we remedy, this by taking a classic tweener, davis though undersized, can be built on, he also a great motor, and can drop back into coverage effectively. This guy reminds me of anthony spencer and to get him here would be great.

Marcus Howard of Georgia or Titus Brown of Mississippi State would both be better as they not only possess the speed to play the ROLB Role but they have more than functional strength. It wouldn't surprise me to see Davis weigh in around 225-230 at the combine.

5) Kendall Langford - Hampton - DE - Height: 6-6. Weight: 294

We all know that the D-line is getting old and we all know how much we suffered when aaron smith was out, To freshen things up we get the massive langford, This guy is just explosive of the snap, and really puounds the opposition D,Has a great mean streaks too, he's still raw though but with the proper coaching could really be a player.

Yeah. We love "Big" passrushers. We like taking the "Aaron Smiths" the DE from Northern Colorado or Brett Keisel from Bringum Young.

6) Darnell Terrell - Missouri - CB/S - Height: 6-3. Weight: 205 or
Zack Bowman - Nebraska - CB - Height: 6-2. Weight: 195

Darnell Terrell, has great speed for his size 4.39, strong for a CB so will be able to support the run as well as contribute on special teams, also good in coverage. can start as a nickel back and play on special teams. due to his
size he could also line up as safety.

Zack Bowman is a very unlucky man, stuck down with a acl tear and then another knee injury, just as he was hitting his stride. Injurys plunge him down the board. But don't be put off, this guy can play, like terrel he has great size, but he also has great instincts, a natural ballhawk, as well a hard hitter so he can support the run and CB blitz.
We all know Tomlin like to groom CB's well he would have a hell of a player on his hands if he took Bowman.

Zack Bowman is likely not going to be drafted and if so, 7th round at earliest.

Terrell is a good prospect, but I don't know why he's rated so low everywhere. I love Justin Tryon of ASU. Not big in stature, but 4.3 speed, compact, loves being physical and has amazing hands and return ability after the INT.

Lastly, I would possibly suggest... Take Brandon Flowers in round 3 instead of Chris Johnson. Then take Rafael Little in round 6.

Rafael Little is underrated. He runs a 4.3, can split to slot WR, is a KR/PR and he's easily lost behind the LOS and Returns.

Flowers has the potential to be one of the best CB's in the game. His explosion, instinct, hands and nasty attitude are next to none.

Mr. Stiller
01-15-2008, 06:33 PM
Glad to be back guys!!! :D I've been thinking through a few draft scenarios over the last week...and this is one i like (albiet unrealistic)

Some UDFA's:

Joey Haynos - TE
Bruce Hocker - WR
Lance Leggett - WR
Fernando Velasco - C
Geoff Schwartz - OG
Andrew Bain - OG
Mike Fladell - OG
Ropati Pitoitua - DE
Richard Clebert - NT
Nelson Coleman - ILB
Stanford Keglar - ILB
Larry Grant - ILB
Andy Studebacker - OLB
Rudolph Hardie - OLB
Mikey Henderson - KR
Brian Witherspoon - KR
Jerrid Gaines - KR

And Mr. Stiller you keep posting that Stapleton is 6'1" ... but at the combine he measured 6031 (in combine numbers) ... which is over 6'3". So if he's got his weight up to 308lbs, i think he's an ideal size. And he has got to be an upgrade over Mahan!!! :)

as for Pat Sims, the Steelers always drafted big frame Defensive Ends...Same with Pitoitua, Change him to "Marcus Dixon, Hampton"... Jakey, It's also Andy Studebaker, He would be an interesting addition.

From recent to older:

McBean, Shaun Nua, Brett Keisel, Rodney Bailey, Chris Combs, Aaron Smith, Jeremy Staat, Angel Rubio, Rod Manuel, Orpheus Roye, Brentson Buckner, Kevin Henry, Jeff Zgonina, Ed Nelson, Etc.

The evolution of the 3-4.

I don't think we'll take a DT, unless he was more of a DE moved inside. Guys like:

Calais Campbell, Miami ~ Round 1 ~ 6'8 282lbs
Philip Merling, Clemson ~ Round 2 ~ 6'5 275lbs
Walace Gilberry, Alabama ~ Round 3-4 ~ 6'3 268lbs
Jason Jones, Eastern Michigan ~ Round 3-4 ~ 6'5 272lbs
Chris Harrington, Texas A&M ~ Round4-5 ~ 6'5 268lbs
Kendall Langford, Hampton ~ Round 5-6 ~ 6'5 295lbs
Kenny Iwebema, Iowa ~ Round 6 ~ 6'4 262lbs
Johnny Dingle, WVU ~ Round 7 ~ 6'3 272lbs
Brian Johnston, Gardner Webb ~ Round 7-FA ~ 6'5 282lbs

UDFA's:

Marcus Dixon, Hampton ~ 6'4 298lbs
Bryan Mattison, Iowa ~ 6'3 282lbs
Robert Henderson, Southern Miss ~ 6'3 280lbs
Jacob Owens, Fairmont State ~ 6'5 282lbs
Bryan Robinson, Wesley ~ 6'3 290lbs
Tranell Morant, ASU ~ 6'5 289lbs

of the Free agent interior lineman.. put me in the:

Andrew Bain + Kirk Elder camp at OG (Bain as a C as well)
John Masters + Kyle DeVan camp at C.

And WR, I absolutely love Tony Burks skill set. He'd be a 2nd-3rd rounder if he didn't have ****** QB's.

And for your Draft... A-

I'd change your 2nd rounder to OL/DL (Perhaps Merling?), Change Your 4a to Marcus Howard, and change your 5 to Kendall Langford.

steelersfan27
01-15-2008, 07:34 PM
whats with everyone having Brandon Flowers in the late 3rd round? there is no way hes there late in the 3rd. Hes is going to jump a little after the combine.

gunners2020
01-15-2008, 07:40 PM
Hey guys thanks for the iNput, i have now come up with a trade mock tell me if you like it

We trade Steelers 1st for Atlanta's 2nds and 4th

That gives us the following

2A) Kentwan Balmer DE

2B) Chris Williams OT

2C) devin thomas WR

3) brandon flowers CB

4) Jamaal Charles RB

4) Titus Brown OLB

5) Kendal langford DE

6) Nile Legania P/KR

will write it up properly tomorrow

mikehop05
01-15-2008, 08:40 PM
whats with everyone having Brandon Flowers in the late 3rd round? there is no way hes there late in the 3rd. Hes is going to jump a little after the combine.

i agree that he has the talent to do so, however, this draft seems pretty loaded from the late first to late 3rd... many of those players being very similar in terms of potential and overall skill...

it'll be interesting to see after the combine where everyone is projected... but as of now it seems that a lot of guys can go anywhere in rounds 2-4 really

mikehop05
01-15-2008, 08:42 PM
Hey guys thanks for the iNput, i have now come up with a trade mock tell me if you like it

2A) Kentwan Balmer DE

2B) Chris Williams OT

2C) devin thomas WR

3) brandon flowers CB

4) Jamaal Charles RB

4) Titus Brown OLB

5) Kendal langford DE

6) Nile Legania P/KR

will write it up properly tomorrow

it would be great if this happened and id be very pumped if this happened but this is very unrealistic...

mainly i dont see the falcons wanting to trade, they have several holes to be filled and they really need all the picks they can get

Hines
01-15-2008, 11:21 PM
Bobby McCray might not be back with Jacksonville next year. I say we sign him. He would be a good pick up.

TheWood56
01-15-2008, 11:47 PM
Bobby McCray might not be back with Jacksonville next year. I say we sign him. He would be a good pick up.

Yeah man, you can never have enough good pass rushers. If it were for the right price, I'd be all for it. :)

mikehop05
01-15-2008, 11:58 PM
ben wants alan back and a new taller receiver, neither of which is surprising

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08016/849486-66.stm

Mr. Stiller
01-16-2008, 02:15 AM

He doesn't have "Elite" Speed, has "Character" Concerns supposedly because he put a picture on his Facebook, lastly, He is just a Cornerback... he doesn't offer KR/PR ability that a DeJuan Tribbly, Leodis McKelvin, Tracy Porter, Dwight Lowery, Aqib Talib.

Plus a lot of places just have other guys rated ahead of him..

Terell Thomas, Antoine Cason, Mike Jenkins, Dominique Rogers-Cromartie, Jack Ikegwuonu

Mr. Stiller
01-16-2008, 02:53 AM

2A) Kentwan Balmer DE

Again, we like big passrushing 4-3 DE's to continue to bulk up. Balmer is a DT. If the cards were to fall like this.. I'd Suggest James Hardy Here.

2B) Chris Williams OT

I'll take this.

2C) devin thomas WR

Grabbing Hardy at the top I'd go Brandon Albert here, he is just a tank.

3) brandon flowers CB

As Always I love this pick.

4) Jamaal Charles RB

Charles will likely be a day 1 pick. He's too soft for my liking anyways... I'd take I'd Rather grab Marcus Howard of Georgia for 3-4 WOLB.. he's going to be a monster.

4) Titus Brown OLB

Going Howard with the last pick... You could go a few directions...

Justin King, Owen Schmitt, D.J. Parker, Lavelle Hawkins, Eddie Royal, Dennis Dixon, Terrance Wheatley.

I'd go with King. Kid has All-pro potential and Tomlin is considered one of the best DB coaches in the league. Add to the fact he can be a devastating KR/PR.

5) Kendal langford DE

Love it.

6) Nile Legania P/KR

I don't know him, but with King taking care of St's (Plus likely 1-2 UDFA's)... I'd go a different direction...

Johnny Dingle, Darius Reynaud, Nick Watkins.

I'm going Nick Watkins. He's mainly a ST's pick. If we had an extra 5th I'd go Dizon. Watkins, is powerful, quick and hits hard, He'll jar quite a few balls loose. He could add about 15-20lbs and back up Timmons in the future.

TheWood56
01-16-2008, 03:15 AM
He doesn't have "Elite" Speed, has "Character" Concerns supposedly because he put a picture on his Facebook, lastly, He is just a Cornerback... he doesn't offer KR/PR ability that a DeJuan Tribbly, Leodis McKelvin, Tracy Porter, Dwight Lowery, Aqib Talib.

I've heard about this, though what does it even mean, and what the hell is a facebook? I'm guessing it's a college thing over there, though being over here in Australia, I've never even heard of a "facebook" before. What the hell is it, and what he done, was it even that bad?

TheWood56
01-16-2008, 03:26 AM
ben wants alan back and a new taller receiver, neither of which is surprising

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08016/849486-66.stm

Yeah, I read this. I'm thinking Faneca's as good as gone, along with everyone else I'm assuming, though I'd really like the Steelers to either sign or draft a good WR, preferably a bigger one. I really think we could upgrade our situation at WR, and with Ben being as good as he is, I think we should try and surround him with as many weapons as possible.

SteelCityNightmare
01-16-2008, 03:30 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08015/849244-66.stm

Interview with Kevin Colbert about what positions they are looking to draft. Pretty interesting stuff, especially considering that he mentioned that even HB is a possibility in the first round.

TheWood56
01-16-2008, 04:10 AM
[B]Glad to be back guys!!! :D I've been thinking through a few draft scenarios over the last week...and this is one i like (albiet unrealistic)

Glad to have you back man. :)

1st off, great trade. :cool:

Great pick here. We need OL help and Williams could be our future LT.

Another great pick. We need DL help and I really like Sims.

Once again, another great pick. Really like Devin Thomas and I really think we could upgrade the WR situation. Ben's an awesome player and to maximize his talent, I really think we should try and surround him with as many weapons as possible.

This pick's just plain criminal. Flowers would be an absolute steal in the 3rd. Awesome pick.

Honestly, I haven't seen that much of Smith, though I've heard good things about him. Sounds like he could be a real player. Also, he had an awesome season.

Great pick here once again. Rachel has a heap of potential and could be a great RG IMO. Not sure if he falls this far, along with Williams, Sims and Flowers ;) though if he does, we should be all over him.

Good pass rusher who has good potential. You can never have enough pass rushers IMO, and considering we're lacking solid depth at OLB, it makes for a good pick.

Considering our ST's suck and we could really use a top return man, this is a good pick. Also, not to mention, I really like Reynaud.

Overall, great mock man, I really like it. Two thumbs up, though since I can't give you that, I'll just give you another smiley face. :)

TheWood56
01-16-2008, 05:13 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08015/849244-66.stm

Interview with Kevin Colbert about what positions they are looking to draft. Pretty interesting stuff, especially considering that he mentioned that even HB is a possibility in the first round.

Thanks for posting man, though I think Colbert saying he'd draft a RB in the 1st round is BS. I think it's just a smokescreen. I think he's just puting that out there so people may think they're up for anything in the 1st round and that they're looking at many options in the 1st round, though I really don't see RB as one of them. I think they have a pretty good idea of what they'll look at in the draft, especially in the first couple of rounds, and I don't think RB will be one of them. Once again, I think this is just a smokescreen and that he doesn't want to show his hand this early leading up to the draft.

I also know a lot of things can change leading up to the draft, and if we decide to re-sign or go after anyone via FA, that will paly a big part in who we decide to draft come draft day, especially early on, though at this point, I'm pretty sure the Steelers have a pretty good idea of what they'll be looking at in the draft early on, and I'm pretty sure they know drafting a RB in the 1st round isn't a serious possibility.

SteelCityNightmare
01-16-2008, 05:46 AM
Thanks for posting man, though I think Colbert saying he'd draft a RB in the 1st round is BS. I think it's just a smokescreen. I think he's just puting that out there so people may think they're up for anything in the 1st round and that they're looking at many options in the 1st round, though I really don't see RB as one of them. I think they have a pretty good idea of what they'll look at in the draft, especially in the first couple of rounds, and I don't think RB will be one of them. Once again, I think this is just a smokescreen and that he doesn't want to show his hand this early leading up to the draft.

I also know a lot of things can change leading up to the draft, and if we decide to re-sign or go after anyone via FA, that will paly a big part in who we decide to draft come draft day, especially early on, though at this point, I'm pretty sure the Steelers have a pretty good idea of what they'll be looking at in the draft early on, and I'm pretty sure they know drafting a RB in the 1st round isn't a serious possibility.

Yeah I agree with what you said. I think they might even go D-Line in the first round, just pertaining to his comments of not thinking the O-Line is as bad as everyone thinks.

TheWood56
01-16-2008, 08:21 AM
Yeah I agree with what you said. I think they might even go D-Line in the first round, just pertaining to his comments of not thinking the O-Line is as bad as everyone thinks.

You know what, that's exactly what I've been thinking for the past week or so, that we'll draft a DL in the 1st round, or at least with our 1st pick in the draft anyways, because who knows, maybe we make a move and trade out of the 1st round to pickup a couple of extra picks in the draft.

darnik44two
01-16-2008, 10:35 AM
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee246/darnik522/BAKER-STEELERS.jpg

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee246/darnik522/THOMAS-STEELERS.jpg

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee246/darnik522/SPIEKER-STEELERS.jpg

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee246/darnik522/SAVAGE-STEELERS.jpg

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee246/darnik522/SCANDRICK-CARD-STEELERS.jpg

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee246/darnik522/HARRINGTON-STEELERS.jpg

or

1. Limas Sweed, WR, Texas

2. Barry Richardson, OT, Clemson

3. Tashard Choice, HB, Georgia Tech

4. John Sullivan, C, Notre Dame

5. Lionel Dotson, DE, Arizona

6. Simeion Castille, CB/S, Alabama

terribletowel39
01-16-2008, 10:43 AM
1. Sam Baker, OT, USC

2. Devin Thomas, WR/KR, Michigan State

3. Adam Speiker, C, Missouri

4. Dantrell Savage, HB, Oklahoma State

5. Orlando Scandrick, CB/KR, Boise State

6. Chris Harrington, DE, Texas A&M

7. Tyler Donovan, QB, Wisconsin

or

1. Limas Sweed, WR, Texas

2. Barry Richardson, OT, Clemson

3. Tashard Choice, HB, Georgia Tech

4. John Sullivan, C, Notre Dame

5. Lionel Dotson, DE, Arizona

6. Simeion Castille, CB/S, Alabama

7. Bernard Morris, QB, Marshall
so its safe to say, no matter what we do in the draft you want a WR, OT, HB, C, DE, CB/S, AND QB.

mikehop05
01-16-2008, 11:17 AM
darnik we dont have a 7th rounder

darnik44two
01-16-2008, 12:14 PM
darnik we dont have a 7th rounder

Oh yeah, I forgot.

mikehop05
01-16-2008, 12:17 PM
over all i like the first draft more

the baker / thomas / speiker combo

i really wouldnt be upset if it ended up that way

darnik44two
01-16-2008, 12:55 PM
over all i like the first draft more

the baker / thomas / speiker combo

i really wouldnt be upset if it ended up that way

I'd love the first one. Baker would be great for obvious reasons. He could play RT for now which would kick Willie Colon inside to RG where he belongs and kick Kendall Simmons to the sideline where he belongs. I probably over-rate Speiker, but I really like him. I think he'll make a terrific NFL center. He could be the next great Steelers center. Devin Thomas kills 2 birds with one stone. He's an instant #3 WR with the potential to be an X. He also doubles a a return man which I feel is one of the biggest areas of need and has been since El left. Orlando Scandrick would help out there as well. Dantrell Savage would be an enormous value in the 4th and he also could be a KR. Chris Harrington could be groomed to eventually replace Aaron Smith. I see alot of similarities to Smith in Harrington. I really think this would be an ideal and very feasable draft for the Steelers.

I'd love this offense...

QB - Ben Roethlisberger
HB - Willie Parker (Dantrell Savage/Najah Davenport)
FB - Carey Davis
WR - Hines Ward
WR - Santonio Holmes
WR - Devin Thomas
TE - Heath Miller (Matt Spaeth)
LT - Marvel Smith
LG - Chris Kemoeatu
C - Adam Speiker
RG - Willie Colon
RT - Sam Baker

mikehop05
01-16-2008, 01:21 PM
I'd love the first one. Baker would be great for obvious reasons. He could play RT for now which would kick Willie Colon inside to RG where he belongs and kick Kendall Simmons to the sideline where he belongs. I probably over-rate Speiker, but I really like him. I think he'll make a terrific NFL center. He could be the next great Steelers center. Devin Thomas kills 2 birds with one stone. He's an instant #3 WR with the potential to be an X. He also doubles a a return man which I feel is one of the biggest areas of need and has been since El left. Orlando Scandrick would help out there as well. Dantrell Savage would be an enormous value in the 4th and he also could be a KR. Chris Harrington could be groomed to eventually replace Aaron Smith. I see alot of similarities to Smith in Harrington. I really think this would be an ideal and very feasable draft for the Steelers.

I'd love this offense...

QB - Ben Roethlisberger
HB - Willie Parker (Dantrell Savage/Najah Davenport)
FB - Carey Davis
WR - Hines Ward
WR - Santonio Holmes
WR - Devin Thomas
TE - Heath Miller (Matt Spaeth)
LT - Marvel Smith
LG - Chris Kemoeatu
C - Adam Speiker
RG - Willie Colon
RT - Sam Baker

to tell u the truth i think it would be better is sam baker was our LT and SMith our RT, it seems as though baker is more of a pass protector and finesse player, where as smith is more of a big body / blocker.

also, trai essex may be the best LT we have, and sam baker might even be able to sit out a year and build his strength

in addittion, as far as your backs go, dont count out gary russell just yet.. I think he is a better 1 - 2 back with willie, where as najeh is good in 3rd down situatons

Hines
01-16-2008, 02:17 PM
HinesWardJr Mock Draft:

We trade down to get ATL's 2 seconds and a 4th

2a) http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f382/futuresteeler86/408628.jpg

Phillip Merling DE/OLB Clemson

Merling brings that big pass rusher that we covet and like. I think he could add 15 pounds to his frame and put his hand down or lose a few pounds and stand up and have Merriman size. I think he could start over Keisel this coming year. Has potential to be a consistant 10-15 sack guy.

2b) http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f382/futuresteeler86/bilde.jpg

Devin Thomas WR Michigan State

Thomas has it all when you think of a reciever. Size, speed, physical, can return kicks, and has really soft hands.Hines isnt getting much younger and Thomas would come in right away and be our #3 reciever. I compare Thomas to Reggie Wayne, so if Thomas has a career like Wayne does, we have a star on our hands.

2c) http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f382/futuresteeler86/2732271732.jpg

Mike Pollak C ASU

With us resigning Starks and letting Faneca go, we have a hole on our oline. I see us moving Simmons to LG, Colon to RG, and having Smith back as our LT. In all, we need a center. I see Pollacks stock rising to late second round. He could potentially have a great career as past Steeler centers have. I see Pollak anchoring our line for a long, long time.

3) http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f382/futuresteeler86/flowers.jpg

Brandon Flowers CB Virginia Tech

IMO Flowers is the physicalist corner in the draft. He can run with any reciever, has great ball skills, plays the run extremely well, and has a huge swagger. First round telnt yes, but his speed and character are in question, which makes him available here. Flowers would be the nickel his rookie year, then start for Deshea his second year. He would be a steal at this point.

4a) John Greco G/T Toledo

Greco is a mauler who could play any spot on the oline besides center. He would start out on the bench, but if Smith cant go and we have to move Starks to LT, Greco can come in and start with ease.

4b) DJ Parker FS Virginia Tech

Parker is a playmaker. He has good ball skills and can lay some nasty hits if he has too. Basically a faster Anthony Smith. Parker could take Carters spot or Clarks spot depending on how t hings work out for them.

5) http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f382/futuresteeler86/omon_action.jpg

Xavier Oman RB NW Missouri State

Oman is a tank. He has nie size, and good speed. If you need tough yards, Oman will give you those. He could be our short yardage back and could split carries with Parker.

6) http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f382/futuresteeler86/moffitt.jpg

Ben Moffit LB South Flordia

What Moffit lacks in speed and intangables, he brings effort and intensity. Moffit could be a special teams demon and a solid back up for the Steelers for years to come.

UDFA:

Xavier Lee QB Flordia State
Jalen Parmele RB Toledo
Mikey Henderson WR/KR Georgia
Marcus Henry WR Kansas
Pierre Garcon WR Mount Union
Kolo Kapanui TE West Texas AM
Marcus Dixon DE Hampton
Bryan Smith OLB McNeese State
Andy Studebaker OLB Wheaton
Nelson Coleman MLB Tulsa
Brandon Carr CB Grand Valley St.
Antwaun Molden CB Eastern Kentucky
Brian Witherspoon CB/KR Stillman
Bobbie Williams S Bethune-Cookman

terribletowel39
01-16-2008, 02:28 PM
3) http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f382/futuresteeler86/flowers.jpg

Brandon Flowers CB Virginia Tech

IMO Flowers is the physicalist corner in the draft. He can run with any reciever, has great ball skills, plays the run extremely well, and has a huge swagger. First round telnt yes, but his speed and character are in question, which makes him available here. Flowers would be the nickel his rookie year, then start for Deshea his second year. He would be a steal at this point.
you get props for using that word. it made me smile. and i like the draft. i really like the picks.

darnik44two
01-16-2008, 02:52 PM
I love Merling, just not as a Steeler. I'd like to see them draft someone in the first round this year who can actually contribute. Woodley and Harrison are the OLB's, and if you get 10-15 sacks out of your 3-4 DE...well he's not playing within the system and you probably rank in the bottom third in run defense. 3-4 DE's aren't edge pass rushers they are run stuffers first and eat up blockers to allow the OLB's to get the sacks. Aaron Smith is considered the prototypical 3-4 DE and he only has 36.5 sacks in 9 seasons. Look what happened to the run defense without him.

darnik44two
01-16-2008, 03:11 PM
To add to my last reply, I found this...

3-4 DEs tend to weigh around 290-310, and many are former 4-3 DT/DE "tweeners". They must be able to play the run well. The 3-4 DE is responsible for the B and C gaps in the running game and lines up in the 5-technique position, so he is head-up on the OT. It's tough for a 3-4 DE to pick up as many sacks as a 4-3 DE, because a 3-4 DE doesn't have the freedom to go willy nilly upfield. He has to protect the LBs in order for the 3-4 to work. Panthers' 4-3 DE Julius Peppers said that he didn't like playing 3-4 DE, because he felt like he was essentially a DT. Unlike Peppers (6-6 290), most 4-3 DEs are not suited to playing 3-4 DE, because they lack the size and ability to hold up against the run. Examples of solid 3-4 DEs are the Patriots' Richard Seymour (6-6 310), the Steelers' Aaron Smith (6-5 300), and the Raiders' Bobby Hamilton (6-5 285)

Hines
01-16-2008, 04:48 PM
To add to my last reply, I found this...

I think Merling could make it work. I mean he is about 275-285 and Keisel is 285. I think Merling could make the switch easily. If all goes bad, then we have a future pass rusher in Merling for a OLB in the 3-4.

darnik44two
01-16-2008, 05:10 PM
I think Merling could make it work. I mean he is about 275-285 and Keisel is 285. I think Merling could make the switch easily. If all goes bad, then we have a future pass rusher in Merling for a OLB in the 3-4.

I wouldn't hate the pick. My only thing is, after last year's blunder in drafting Timmons, I want an instant starter out of the first round. He might beat out Kiesel, but even that's a long shot. Kiesel is very underated. Smith will be in his 10th season next year so a future replacement is a need.

mikehop05
01-16-2008, 05:42 PM
I wouldn't hate the pick. My only thing is, after last year's blunder in drafting Timmons, I want an instant starter out of the first round. He might beat out Kiesel, but even that's a long shot. Kiesel is very underated. Smith will be in his 10th season next year so a future replacement is a need.

i dont know why you call drafting timmons a blunder...

historically, many players do not start on the Steelers as rookies... in fact if the steelers had it their way no one would start as rookies

timmons was only 20 when he was drafted...

The only position i see that could be an instant starter would be offensive line, and only if faneca / starks are let go

darnik44two
01-16-2008, 06:02 PM
i dont know why you call drafting timmons a blunder...

historically, many players do not start on the Steelers as rookies... in fact if the steelers had it their way no one would start as rookies

timmons was only 20 when he was drafted...

The only position i see that could be an instant starter would be offensive line, and only if faneca / starks are let go

Well they drafted him to play OLB, and less than 2 weeks into his NFL career the Steelers found out he wasn't a good fit for that position. They are paying him top 15 money and he won't have a starting spot next year either. He won't beat out Farrior or Foote. So best case scenario he's a starter in his 3rd year and will be a RFA at the end of the season. They could have found a project LB way later than pick 15. Word has it Tomlin was the one with the man crush on Timmons. He was the first 1st round LB the Steelers took since '92 (Huey Richardson who was a bust), and only the second 1st round LB ever taken by the Steelers. They generally choose to develope LB's and their track record speaks for itself. So yeah, I think it was a bad move. We still don't know if he'll even pan out at all. I felt he was greatly overated last year and I took alot of heat saying he wasn't a 3-4 OLB prospect. I was so mad when they took him and still am.

steelersfan27
01-16-2008, 06:43 PM
Well they drafted him to play OLB, and less than 2 weeks into his NFL career the Steelers found out he wasn't a good fit for that position. They are paying him top 15 money and he won't have a starting spot next year either. He won't beat out Farrior or Foote. So best case scenario he's a starter in his 3rd year and will be a RFA at the end of the season. They could have found a project LB way later than pick 15. Word has it Tomlin was the one with the man crush on Timmons. He was the first 1st round LB the Steelers took since '92 (Huey Richardson who was a bust), and only the second 1st round LB ever taken by the Steelers. They generally choose to develope LB's and their track record speaks for itself. So yeah, I think it was a bad move. We still don't know if he'll even pan out at all. I felt he was greatly overated last year and I took alot of heat saying he wasn't a 3-4 OLB prospect. I was so mad when they took him and still am.
you dont think he can beat out foote in camp next year? Foote was very isnt a solid tackler, isnt as good in pass coverage, and is a playmaker. i think if he works hard this offseason he will win the job.

terribletowel39
01-16-2008, 06:48 PM
you dont think he can beat out foote in camp next year? Foote was very isnt a solid tackler, isnt as good in pass coverage, and is a playmaker. i think if he works hard this offseason he will win the job.
F that, if he beats out anybody next year it better be Farrior. Foote is my favorite player on our defense. he is underrated beyond measure. i don't know if you are complimenting foote or not in your post but I love Foote. you say he isn't good at things but that he is a playmaker. i bet you can name me more times you can recall where Farrior messed up than when you thought to yourself, dammit Foote. yea Foote is underrated.

mikehop05
01-16-2008, 06:49 PM

im not so sure that the steelers didnt project him as a mack when they drafted him... i remember reading that they were going to see what best fit him, and after a couple weeks it was determined he would be best inside... which i agree with

i think he does beat out foote next year, his athleticism is much greater than footes, he was a great tackler at FSU, and a good playmaker...

what hurt him was his nagging injuries to start camp, he couldnt get on the field, therefore he couldnt progress as fast as the others

mikehop05
01-16-2008, 06:55 PM
and correct me if im wrong but huey richardson was a DE and only played a year in pittsburhg before he was traded when chuck knoll left

terribletowel39
01-16-2008, 06:57 PM
and correct me if im wrong but huey richardson was a DE and only played a year in pittsburhg before he was traded when chuck knoll left
no he was a LB but we did take him in 91 draft. and you are correct that he was sent packing when cowher started.

darnik44two
01-16-2008, 07:00 PM
im not so sure that the steelers didnt project him as a mack when they drafted him... i remember reading that they were going to see what best fit him, and after a couple weeks it was determined he would be best inside... which i agree with

i think he does beat out foote next year, his athleticism is much greater than footes, he was a great tackler at FSU, and a good playmaker...

what hurt him was his nagging injuries to start camp, he couldnt get on the field, therefore he couldnt progress as fast as the others

No, I live in Pittsburgh and the Steelers actually made it public that he would be moved from OLB to ILB because he just didn't physically fit the bill. They took some heat on the local radio and in the papers.

As for Foote?? He just a notch below Pro Bowl level. Farrior probably has one more year left as a Steeler, so Timmons could get into the line up then, year 3. Way too far down the road for the 15th overall selection. He hasn't even worked out as a 3rd down pass rusher like they hoped. The gem they found was Woodley. I loved the pick when it happened and bought a Woodley jersey before he ever took the field.

darnik44two
01-16-2008, 07:01 PM
no he was a LB but we did take him in 91 draft. and you are correct that he was sent packing when cowher started.

I'm pretty sure he was Cowher's first pick as head coach.

steel man
01-16-2008, 10:28 PM
i like timmons...i think of him as another Lloyd, so if he can come close to Lloyd then i will be really happy. i think what happened was they did not expect harrison to be as good as he was this year, so they was going to sit timmons 1 year and then move him in for harrison and woodley in for haggans. but harrison done great this year so timmons is so talented that they want to get him in somewhere inside or outside just somewhere to use him with out taking a good player out.

steel man
01-16-2008, 10:29 PM
on another side note do any of you miss the old form....i miss the avatars the most

also is everyone still big on the rep points?

TheWood56
01-16-2008, 10:42 PM

I don't think drafting Timmons was a blunder, or at least you cannot call it a blunder just yet. Timmons has huge potential and could be the playmaker in the front seven we need. I also think the starting ILB's next season are Farrior and Timmons. I really think Timmons beats out Foote next season and starts at ILB along side Farrior, though even if he doesn't and he's not 100% ready, I can still see Timmons getting a heap of gametime next season anyways. I also think in a 3-4 defense, with Timmons skill set, he's a much better fit at ILB then he is at OLB. I also don't really care or even buy into where the Steelers said they'd play Timmons after they drafted him, whether they said he'd be at OLB or even NT. He was only 20 years old and very raw when they drafted him, though they knew he had great potential and could be a real playmaker in this defense.

Now, onto Keisel. In the 2006 season, Keisel was underrated, though last season, he was a liability against the run IMO, and as a 3-4 DE, you just can't have that. I really wish we had someone on the roster who could replace Keisel and start at RDE, because I'd love for Keisel to drop some weight and shift to OLB. I think at OLB Keisel could be a lot more effective rushing the passer and would also be very solid against the run out there. The only thing that would be problematic for Keisel at OLB would be coverage responsibilities, though if they were to use him solely as a situational guy, I think he'd be a lot more effective there. I'd also play him at DE in the nickel and dime packages and use him as a situational pass rusher. I see Keisel as a large 4-3 DE trying to play 3-4 DE, and I just don't think it's going to work. As I said, I'd have him trim down a little so he'd more more explosive and agile, and I'd shift him to OLB.

Also, about the Phillip Merling selection, I think he could potentially play 4-3 DE, 3-4 OLB, and 3-4 DE. I think if we were to draft him, even though I can't see it, I think we'd have him bulk up a little and transition to 3-4 DE, specifically RDE. Merling's a pretty big guy and plays the run really well, though can also rush the passer effectively. I think at 3-4 DE, he could do more then just play the run, I think he could really get after the QB, and that's what I'd love to see, one of our front three on the DL get after the passer and really cause havoc in the backfield on passing downs, not just running downs. Overall, I don't mind the selection as I like Merling, though I can't really see us drafting him.

Anyways, just my thoughts.

brat316
01-17-2008, 03:11 AM
any one see wilson getting cut, he makes 2 million this year next year he is FA

TheWood56
01-17-2008, 03:47 AM
any one see wilson getting cut, he makes 2 million this year next year he is FA

Nah, I can't see Wilson getting cut, unless of course they draft or sign a WR and Wilson ends up being the odd man out. Other then that though, I can't see him getting cut.

Jakey
01-18-2008, 09:07 AM
Quick Mock - No Trades...something abit different

1: Sam Baker - OT- USC
2: Earl Bennett - WR - Vanderbilt
3: Roy Schuening - OG/C - Oregon State
4: Justin King - CB/KR - Penn State
5: Kendall Langford - DE - Hampton
6: Jeremy Thompson - OLB - Wake Forest

Depth Chart:

QB: Ben Roethlisberger ~ Charlie Batch
FB: Carey Davis
RB: Willie Parker ~ Gary Russell ~ Najeh Davenport
TE: Heath Miller ~ Matt Spaeth
WR: Hines Ward ~ Earl Bennett
WR: Santonio Holmes ~ Nate Washington

LT: Marvel Smith ~ Sam Baker
LG: Kendall Simmons ~ Roy Schuening
C: Darnell Stapleton ~ Roy Schuening
RG: Willie Colon ~ Chris Kemoeatu
RT: Max Starks ~ Trai Essex

RE: Brett Keisel ~ Ryan McBean
NT: Casey Hampton ~ Chris Hoke
LE: Aaron Smith ~ Kendall Langford

ROLB: James Harrison ~ Andre Frazier/Arnold Harrison
RILB: Lawrence Timmons ~ Larry Foote
LILB: James Farrior ~ Larry Foote
LOLB: Lamarr Woodley ~ Jeremy Thompson

CB: Ike Taylor ~ Justin King ~ William ***
CB: Bryant McFadden ~ Deshea Townsend ~ William ***

FS: Anthony Smith ~ Ryan Clark
SS: Troy Polamalu ~ Tyrone Carter

DeathbyStat
01-18-2008, 10:38 AM
I'm really warming up to the idea that we could get Sam Baker in the first round. That would be great

Jakey
01-18-2008, 10:47 AM
I'm really warming up to the idea that we could get Sam Baker in the first round. That would be great

Ye i agree man...he might not have the most upside, but he is far the most NFL-ready left tackle. Players like Otah or Williams might have more potential...but they have also got allot more potential to be a bust. With Baker you know what you are getting, and that is a solid (3 time all-american) left tackle...that can actually pass protect!!! :p Which is something the Stillers definately need if they want to be successfull in the near future. I think it would be a great pick.

mikehop05
01-18-2008, 11:35 AM
he can play a good left guard also...

what lineup would u all prefer?

Assuming Starks is resigned:

1)Smith
Baker
Simmons
Colon
Starks

or

2)Starks
Baker
Simmons
Colon
Smith

assuming starks is not resigned:

3)Essex
Kemo
Simmons
Colon
Baker

or

4)Baker
Kemo
Mahan
Simmons
Colon

or

5)Smith
Baker
Simmons
Kemo
Colon

or

6)Baker
Kemo
Simmons
Colon
Smith

personally, i hope we resign starks though i do not see that being very realistic, and if we do i want option 1

if not then id like option 6

steel man
01-18-2008, 11:49 AM
i assume the top of the list is LT, so i am going to ask about Essex playing RT you never listed him there, do think that he could not play RT?

steel man
01-18-2008, 11:50 AM
if we resign Starks i like

LT: Baker
LG : Kemo
C : Simmons
RG : Colon
RT : Starks

steel man
01-18-2008, 11:52 AM
if we do not resign Starks, i like

LG : Kemo
C : Simmons
RG : Colon
RT : Essex

mikehop05
01-18-2008, 12:35 PM
oo man i knew i was bound to forget a viable option or two...

having said that i think that essex may be a decent RT, but i dont know if he gets the push that i personally want my RT's to get on running plays

mikehop05
01-18-2008, 12:41 PM
gahhh i even forgot about stapleton at center as a possibility

terribletowel39
01-18-2008, 12:51 PM
gahhh i even forgot about stapleton at center as a possibility
oh come on mike, don't be so hard on yourself. nobodies perfect.

TheWood56
01-18-2008, 11:18 PM
Personally, with the re-signing of Starks, I wouldn't mind seeing:

LT: Max Starks
LG: Kendall Simmons
C: Willie Colon
RG: Chris Kemoeatu
RT: Marvel Smith

mikehop05
01-19-2008, 12:07 PM
yeah i wanna see if colon can play center

TheWood56
01-19-2008, 08:08 PM
yeah i wanna see if colon can play center

Yeah, I also want to see how Stapleton looks next season. Hopefully if Colon's not an option at center, it's either a proven FA, a talented draft pick who can hold his own, or Stapleton. Anyone but Mahan really. I just don't like him. He could be a pretty valuable backup to have though, considering he has experience at both guard and center.

steelersfan27
01-20-2008, 12:49 PM
coaches love stapleton. if he puts on some more bulk he could start.

but if we draft Baker...

LG: Simmons
C: Stapleton (or a new C via draft)
RG: Colon
RT: Starks

Hines
01-20-2008, 12:52 PM
A little mock draft:

1. Sam Baker T USC
2. Aldarius Bowman WR Ok State
3. Demario Pressley De NC State
4. Titus Brown OLB Mississsippi State
5. Dexter Jackson KR Applachian State
6. Andrew Bain G/C Miami(Fla)

DeathbyStat
01-20-2008, 01:13 PM
A little mock draft:

1. Sam Baker T USC
2. Aldarius Bowman WR Ok State
3. Demario Pressley De NC State
4. Titus Brown OLB Mississsippi State
5. Dexter Jackson KR Applachian State
6. Andrew Bain G/C Miami(Fla)

Looks good but I'm intrigued with Johnny Dingle, Nick Hayden and Kendall Langford a bit more then I am with Pressley and Brown as upgrades to our front seven.

mikehop05
01-20-2008, 01:30 PM
Looks good but I'm intrigued with Johnny Dingle, Nick Hayden and Kendall Langford a bit more then I am with Pressley and Brown as upgrades to our front seven.

100% agree

Hines
01-20-2008, 01:32 PM
I like Langford a lot, to be honest with you, I dont think he will be there in our third round pick. I think his stock rises a lot.

Jakey
01-20-2008, 05:58 PM
I also like Keilen Dykes...i think he would be a great 3-4 end

Hines
01-20-2008, 06:02 PM
I would also like this draft as well:

1. Kentwan Balmer DE North Carolina
2. Earl Bennett WR Vanderbilt
3. John Greco G/T Toledo
4. Duane Brown G/T Virginia Tech
5. Dexter Jackson WR Appalachian State
6. Justin Tyron CB Arizona State

Jakey
01-20-2008, 06:29 PM
I would also like this draft as well:

1. Kentwan Balmer DE North Carolina
2. Earl Bennett WR Vanderbilt
3. John Greco G/T Toledo
4. Duane Brown G/T Virginia Tech
5. Dexter Jackson WR Appalachian State
6. Justin Tyron CB Arizona State

I'm not sold on Balmer...he is a major BOOM or BUST prospect. If he stays motivated i think he can be an elite 3-4 end...but if not i think he could be a massive flop! So i'm just not sure we will take the risk on him, especially when there are safer players like Sam Baker, Gosder Cherilus, Antoine Cason etc...

Jakey
01-20-2008, 06:30 PM
p.s...i love Bennett in the 2nd :D

Hines
01-20-2008, 06:33 PM
I'm not sold on Balmer...he is a major BOOM or BUST prospect. If he stays motivated i think he can be an elite 3-4 end...but if not i think he could be a massive flop! So i'm just not sure we will take the risk on him, especially when there are safer players like Sam Baker, Gosder Cherilus, Antoine Cason etc...

If anything and Campbell is there, I would chose him over Balmer. I love Campbells size, and speed and believe he will be a beast in a 3-4 defense as a DE. Can rush the passer and can play the run.

Jakey
01-20-2008, 06:36 PM
How do ya think McBean will do next year...do you think he can upseat Keisel??? I kinda hope he does...Keisel was a flop this year!

TheWood56
01-20-2008, 06:55 PM

If we're going DL in the 1st round, I'd probably take Pat Sims. I really like Pat Sims and would take him any day of the week. I think he'll be a great player. I'd love to see him in our defense.

TheWood56
01-20-2008, 07:00 PM
How do ya think McBean will do next year...do you think he can upseat Keisel??? I kinda hope he does...Keisel was a flop this year!

I really hope McBean's ready next season and can contribute. IMO, Keisel's not a 3-4 DE. He's a liability against the run IMO and has trouble shedding blocks. I see him as more of a pass rusher. If we had someone to replace him, and had some decent depth at the position, I'd make him drop a few pounds and shift to OLB. He'd be much more effective out there IMO. I'd play him as a situational pass rusher and just play him at DE in the nickel and dime packages.

TheWood56
01-20-2008, 07:02 PM
p.s...i love Bennett in the 2nd :D

I also really like Earl Bennett, though another possibility could be Devin Thomas from Michigan State in the 2nd or even possibly 3rd round if we're lucky. I really like Thomas as a player, though I also like Bennett aswell. :)

DeathbyStat
01-20-2008, 07:25 PM
I also really like Earl Bennett, though another possibility could be Devin Thomas from Michigan State in the 2nd or even possibly 3rd round if we're lucky. I really like Thomas as a player, though I also like Bennett aswell. :)

I think Bennett will fall a bit....and i like Thomas alot better

TheWood56
01-20-2008, 10:33 PM
I think Bennett will fall a bit....and i like Thomas alot better

Yeah, I really like Thomas, and if I had to choose between the two, I think I'd take Thomas also. I'd love to pick him up in the 3rd round, though I think if we really want him, we'd have to select him with our 2nd rounder. I do like Earl Bennett quite a bit though, and he's produced for 3 straight seasons now, though as I said, I really like Thomas and when the draft is all said and done, I'd love to see him in the black and gold.

Jakey
01-21-2008, 04:40 AM
Quick Mock

Round 1: Sam Baker - OT
Round 2: Gosder Cherilus - OT
Round 3: Devin Thomas/Jerome Simpson - WR
Round 4: Justin King - CB/KR
Round 5: Nick Hayden - DE
Round 6: Curtis Johnson - OLB

Tell me what you think...i know not too many ppl are high on Cherilus (mainly 'cus of his poor play at LT)...but if we got him in the 2nd, i have no doubt that he could be one of the best RT's in the league. Getting both Baker and Cherilus would get us our starting T's for years to come.

p.s. I'm pretty high on Jerome Simpson...he reminds me of a young Tory Holt

SteelCityNightmare
01-21-2008, 06:18 AM
coaches love stapleton. if he puts on some more bulk he could start.

but if we draft Baker...

LG: Simmons
C: Stapleton (or a new C via draft)
RG: Colon
RT: Starks

Baker is being projected as a RT in the pros. Plus I think that is better for the Steelers considering Starks being left handed and had much better success on the left side this year than he has had years prior on the right side. So I like the lineup, I would just switch the tackles.

Tell me what you think...i know not too many ppl are high on Cherilus (mainly 'cus of his poor play at LT)...but if we got him in the 2nd, i have no doubt that he could be one of the best RT's in the league. Getting both Baker and Cherilus would get us our starting T's for years to come.

Is there a chance that we could land both of those guys? I haven't heard of either slipping out of the first round projection, especially late second round. It would be sweet if that happened though.

Jakey
01-21-2008, 06:36 AM
Baker is being projected as a RT in the pros. Plus I think that is better for the Steelers considering Starks being left handed and had much better success on the left side this year than he has had years prior on the right side. So I like the lineup, I would just switch the tackles.

Baker is definately projected as a LT...thats his natural position.

Is there a chance that we could land both of those guys? I haven't heard of either slipping out of the first round projection, especially late second round. It would be sweet if that happened though.

I think its a long shot...but i have seen Cherilus projected as a late 2nd/early 3rd recently. So it could happen.

SteelCityNightmare
01-21-2008, 06:56 AM
Quick Steelers Mock
1st - Sam Baker, OT, USC
2nd - Devin Thomas, WR, Michigan St.
3rd - Roy Schuening, OG, Oregon State
4th - Justin King, CB/KR, Penn St.
5th - Nick Hayden, DE, Wisconsin
6th - Jeremy Thompson, OLB, Wake Forest

TheWood56
01-21-2008, 08:14 AM
How about another? But this time, with a trade. :cool:

We trade our 1st rounder to Atlanta for their two 2nd rounders.

Round 2: Chris Williams - OT
Round 2: Roy Schuening - OG/C
Round 2: Devin Thomas - WR
Round 3: Brandon Flowers - CB
Round 4: Kendall Langford - DE
Round 5: Barry Richardson - OT
Round 6: Darius Reynaud - KR/PR/WR

Also, my 1st mock ever posted, so I'd love for some feed back. :)

Jakey
01-21-2008, 09:37 AM

Great mock man...but what i've read about Langford from the shrine bowl isn't very good. Apparently he isn't strong at the point of attack...and he isnt agile enough to play at end. I'm leanig towards some other prospects now.

Hines
01-21-2008, 09:56 AM
Quick Mock

Round 1: Sam Baker - OT
Round 2: Gosder Cherilus - OT
Round 3: Devin Thomas/Jerome Simpson - WR
Round 4: Justin King - CB/KR
Round 5: Nick Hayden - DE
Round 6: Curtis Johnson - OLB

p.s. I'm pretty high on Jerome Simpson...he reminds me of a young Tory Holt

I like Baker, even though I question his physicalness. Cherlius wont be available in round 2. He was playing out of position this past year and is the best RT in the draft. We will have to chose between him and Baker in round 1. I doubt Thomas will be there in the third, as I can see him jumping to early second-maybe late first. I like Simpson as he has huge, great hands and can jump out of the stadium. King wont be available in round 4. Yes, he had a crappy year, but his potential is so raw and intriguing, I bet he gets taken in the second after he blows the combine up. Last two picks I really like.

Hines
01-21-2008, 09:57 AM

I like this mock, but you would have to switch Schuening and Thomas because I doubt Thomas will be there at late in the second.

mikehop05
01-21-2008, 11:26 AM
for all of you that love that atlanta trade with their 2 2nds... im pretty sure it doesnt add up on the trade value chart, and I really doubt atlanta would give upthe picks when they have so many holes to fill

BUT

if they dont go QB with their first pick, and a guy like brohm is around when we come to pick then it is very possible that they will trade imo

Mr. Stiller
01-21-2008, 06:58 PM
We trade our 2nd to Denver for their 3rds and a 5th.

1) Sam Baker, OT, USC ~ 6'5 310lbs 5.02

Sam Baker is a guy that has great footwork and the ability to be a reliable blind side blocker his rookie season. He could push Marvel to RT, Colon inside to battle for the C/RG Spots.

3a) Devin Thomas, WR, Michigan State ~ 6'3 215lbs 4.48

Thomas is a wide bodied, physical WR with Great hands. His knock will be lack of D1 experience, but he has the talent. Good size, talent and speed to challenge Nate Washington for his #3-ness and could allow us to cut Ced and his 2m Cap.

Brandon Flowers is a CB you can't not like. He's built like a tank, has great hands, is extremely explosive, solid speed, and hits like a Truck. He's played in a scheme that asks him to play a lot of 5-10 yard cushion. Just like the pro's, the collegiate teams try to exploit this by throwing quick passes, screens and bubble passes. He's blown them up behind the LOS even with a 10 yard cushion at times.

3c) Kendall Langford, RDE, Hampton ~ 6'6 295lbs 5.08

Langford is a solid passrusher, and some good spead with his size. He's got the frame to add even more additional weight and looks like he has the potential to be a monstrous 3-4 RDE in our scheme. Giving us a guy that after a year or two, could stop the run and attack the pass rusher up front.

4) John Greco, C/OG, Toledo ~ 6'5 320lbs 5.22

Greco is just a Mountain of a man. Played LT at Toledo, RT at the all-star games, likely OG/C as a pro. He doesn't have the lateral speed to be a great tackle, but he has the amazing strength that he could blow anyone 5 yards off the ball. I think he could work at #3 C behind Stapleton/Mahan and possibly challenge Kemo/Colon for the Starting RG spot as a Rookie. I wouldn't count him out either, he's very intelligent and has the strength to boot.

5a) Terrance Wheatley, CB/KR/PR, Colorado ~ 5'9 190lbs 4.38

Don't sell Wheatley short. He may not have all world measureables (Height/Weight), but he can move, has an excellent Vertical, and can play man/zone coverage pretty well already. I think Wheatley will give us that quick twitch guy that can handle the Stokley's and Welkers of the world. Adding him allows us to move Bryant McFadden to FS. Ike, Flowers, DeShea, Wheatley and *** at CB, with DeShea likely retiring after 09. I wouldn't mind him being hired as an assistant DB Coach either, with his veteran know-how. Wheatley will give us a dime/penny back immediately, and after 2008, when Flowers enters the Starting squad, will be a very dominant Nickel.

5b) Jamie Silva, SS/ST, Boston College ~ 5'11 205lbs 4.57

I remember watching BC the last 2 years to get an idea of what their working with. I was watching Matt Ryan, Gosder Cherilous, Callender, Whitworth, James Marten, Josh Beekman, Jolonn Dunbar... but this kid stuck out time after time. He doesn't have all world speed, but he's got enough speed, strength, hard hitting and ballhawking skills to be an excellent pro. He may never be the guy, but he's a lead by example guy and he's got a great attitude. As a strong safety, in his 3 year career as a starter amassed:

14 INTs+1TD, 1 FR+TD, 9 PR for 71yds, 224 Tackles, 15 TFL's, 3.5 Sacks, 6 PDs', and 2 FF's.

Thats impressive.

6) Chase Ortiz, LOLB/ST, Texas Christian ~ 6'2 256lbs 4.76

Chase Ortiz is another guy you have to love to watch play. He's tough, tenacious and has an amazing motor. He'll be a solid backup to LaMarr Woodley at LOLB and a very very good ST coverage guy. He just loves hitting people.

UDFA:

You may be thinking "Wow thats a SH**Load of UDFA's. Well it is and isnt'.
The way I see it is that there is some depth and ST's issues at this point. Bring in quite a few guys and let them battle it out.

Example: Torain and Omon, both big bodied power runners. Burks and Wheelwright, both tall, big WR's.. Etc. I'm not necessarily saying these are guys you must bring in, but they would be interesting.

As for Urruttia, I think he could be an excellent TE, if he was given a year or 2 on the PS to bulk up.

Alex Brink, QB, Washington State
Brandon McAnderson, RB, Kansas
Ryan Torain, RB, Arizona State / Xavier Omon, RB, Northwest Missouri State
Dervon Wallace, RB/WR/KR/PR, Shepherd
Tony Burks, WR, Mississippi State
Ernie Wheelwright, WR, Minnesota
Mikey Henderson, KR/PR, Georgia
Adam Bishop, TE, Nevada / Mario Urruttia, WR/TE, Louisville
Tyler Polumbus, OT, Colorado
Frank Dunbar, OG, Middle Tennessee State
Andrew Bain, OG/C, Miami

Marcus Dixon, LDE, Hampton
Bryan Robinson, RDE, Wesley
Henry Smith, NT, Texas A&M
Rudolph Hardie, LOLB, Howard
Bo Ruud, LILB, Nebraska
Anthony Hoke, RILB, Cincinnati
Trevor Scott, ROLB, Buffalo

Darien Williams, FS, Oklahoma

mikehop05
01-22-2008, 12:12 PM
its lookin like gosder cherilus isnt as bad as we all pegged him to be, he is an animal at these senior bowl practices.. but i dont think he has faced any real speed rushers yet which is not his forte

also, adarius bowman looks terrible

DeathbyStat
01-22-2008, 01:20 PM
its lookin like gosder cherilus isnt as bad as we all pegged him to be, he is an animal at these senior bowl practices.. but i dont think he has faced any real speed rushers yet which is not his forte

also, adarius bowman looks terrible

Im watching it right now gosder looks good

Eddie Royal and Tracy Porter look good

brat316
01-22-2008, 02:22 PM
i wish i had NFL network man this sucks being in college

brat316
01-22-2008, 02:23 PM
is the sopcast thing worth it for NFL network senior bowl thing

terribletowel39
01-22-2008, 02:30 PM
well see thats better than knowing i have NFL Network at the house and still not being able to watch it because i am at work. yea that blows.

DeathbyStat
01-22-2008, 02:39 PM
Wow Sedric Ellis is a man

DeathbyStat
01-22-2008, 02:40 PM

Im in college and i got it

terribletowel39
01-22-2008, 02:40 PM
Wow Sedric Ellis is a man
a little more for us less fortunate.

DeathbyStat
01-22-2008, 02:43 PM
a little more for us less fortunate.

Sorry he is just beating everyone in one on one drills....plus mayock is breaking down tape of him......and called him "Baby Sapp."....i totally agree

Hines
01-22-2008, 03:29 PM
Marcus Spears is getting shopped by the Cowboys. He is about 6'2 298 and is only 26. Hasnt lived up to his first round bill, but I think he could be worth a shot. Possibly give up a third rounder for him. Could and would take Keisels spot.

brat316
01-22-2008, 03:32 PM
they play the 3-4 and if he hasn't been doing much for them what is he going to do for us.

DeathbyStat
01-22-2008, 03:34 PM
Marcus Spears is getting shopped by the Cowboys. He is about 6'2 298 and is only 26. Hasnt lived up to his first round bill, but I think he could be worth a shot. Possibly give up a third rounder for him. Could and would take Keisels spot.

How about a fourth instead

Jakey
01-22-2008, 03:38 PM
they play the 3-4 and if he hasn't been doing much for them what is he going to do for us.

More than Keisel has i think!

And for all those with Kendall Langford in thier mocks...he weighed in at 275...which is way too light IMO

steelersfan27
01-22-2008, 03:41 PM

i wouldnt be opposed to it. i think hes better than Keisel and would be an upgrade. think the Dline......Smith/ Hampton/ Spears. with Keisel/ Hoke/ Keisel backing them up.

mikehop05
01-22-2008, 05:11 PM

And for all those with Kendall Langford in thier mocks...he weighed in at 275...which is way too light IMO

adding 10 - 15lbs would be no problem, plus im pretty sure he has the frame to add more + really long arms if i can rememebr correctly

mikehop05
01-22-2008, 05:14 PM
also, just as an aside...

I dont care if scott called him man boobs, dre moore is a beast..

brat316
01-22-2008, 07:34 PM
yo anyone want to make a mock with out trades, honestly if there is a trade thing logically, like why would Denver who needs players give up two 3rds and a 5th.

Maybe being aggressive can be a different way.

Mr. Stiller
01-23-2008, 08:12 AM

The thing is, Keisel keeps his weight in check and can actually pressure the QB. Spears is just a short fat DE that comes in overweight and doesn't work hard.

As for Kendall Langford, thats only 2.5 lbs more than Aaron Smith weighed coming out of college (277.5-278). He did Pretty well.

Langford has 6'5.3 height ahd 275-280lbs with long muscular arms, he will be a really good prospect in about 1-2 years with a Pro-Level strength/conditioning regiment.

Mr. Stiller
01-23-2008, 08:20 AM
i wouldnt be opposed to it. i think hes better than Keisel and would be an upgrade. think the Dline......Smith/ Hampton/ Spears. with Keisel/ Hoke/ Keisel backing them up.

When you can get a guy that has potential like Kendall Langford in round 3, Why use it on a guy that hasn't shown capability in the 3-4.

I mean, Dallas has DL issues (NT, and DE) and they're shopping him?

I hear Dallas is shopping Bobby Carpenter, and yes, I made a mock about it, so what, you wanna fight about it? Anyways.

We trade our 1st for Bobby Carpenter, a 2nd and a 4th.

~~~~~ Dallas would then have 3 Draft picks in the first round. Thats enough power to move up to #1 overall to get Darren McFadden, As well as Still keep another first rounder for themselves (ILB, DE, WR?). Carpenter was a disappointment as a OLB, but with some work behind Farrior he could be a very dominant Buck.

We trade our original second for Chicago's 2 - 3rds and a 4th (Joe Flacco)

1**Bobby Carpenter, ILB, Ohio State ~ 6'3 256 4.65
2a) Gosder Cherilous, RT, Boston College ~ 6'7 320lbs 5.25
3a) Oniel Cousins, OG/LT, UTEP ~ 6'5 310lbs 5.02
3c) Kendall Langford, DE, Hampton ~ 6'5 280lbs 5.05
4a) Adarius Bowman, WR, Oklahoma State ~ 6'3 220lbs 4.51
4b) John Greco, C/RG, Toledo ~ 6'5 320lbs 5.22
4c) Titus Brown, ROLB, Mississippi ~ 6'3 239lbs 4.68
5) Curtis Johnson, LOLB, Clark-Atlanta ~ 6'3 239lbs 4.64
6) BenJarvus Green-Ellis, RB, Mississippi ~ 5'11 225lbs 4.51

Priority UDFA:
Andrew Bain, OG/C, Miami

Bo Ruud, LILB, Nebraska
Trey Brown, CB, California
Brandon Carr, CB, Grand Valley State
Brian Bonner, SS, TCU

I know I'm going to be bashed for the Cherilus pick because I've been saying he's terrible all season, but he has the strength and initial punch. He needs leverage work (Zierlein) and would likely be a tad less the run blocker than Starks, but 2 times the RT that he is in passblocking. Plus he has room to grow (His frame could add another 10-15lbs putting him around 325-330)

Anyone else you have questions about let me know.

College has started back up so I won't be working 60 hour weeks.

DeathbyStat
01-23-2008, 08:25 AM
When you can get a guy that has potential like Kendall Langford in round 3, Why use it on a guy that hasn't shown capability in the 3-4.

I hear Dallas is shopping Bobby Carpenter, and yes, I made a mock about it, so what, you wanna fight about it? Anyways.

~~~~~ Dallas would then have 3 Draft picks in the first round. Thats enough power to move up to #1 overall to get Darren McFadden, As well as Still keep another first rounder for themselves (ILB, DE, WR?). Carpenter was a disappointment as a OLB, but with some work behind Farrior he could be a very dominant Buck.

Priority UDFA:
Andrew Bain, OG/C, Miami

Bo Ruud, LILB, Nebraska
Brian Bonner, SS, TCU

I know I'm going to be bashed for the Cherilus pick because I've been saying he's terrible all season, but he has the strength and initial punch. He needs leverage work (Zierlein) and would likely be a tad less the run blocker than Starks, but 2 times the RT that he is in passblocking. Plus he has room to grow (His frame could add another 10-15lbs putting him around 325-330)

Cherilus has looked good thus far in the senior bowl practices

Jakey
01-23-2008, 08:47 AM

Priority UDFA:
Andrew Bain, OG/C, Miami

Bo Ruud, LILB, Nebraska
Brian Bonner, SS, TCU

I dont really like Carpenter that much...but the value of that trade seems about right, so i'm cool with that. I'll let you off with bashing Cherilus all year cus i dont think any1 expected him to dominate like he has over the last couple of days...great pick. I'm not sold on Cousins, but he has looked fairly solid at guard...and he can play multiple positions, so that would be a solid pick. I really like Flowers, so that is another great pick. I've liked Langford all year...but i think you have him abit overrated there...i think he can be had abit later, pick 4b maybe??? I really like Bowman, i think most of his problems this week are down to nerves/confidence...at worst he would be solid depth...at best he would be a great starter. I like Greco...maybe even more than Cousins! I really like Titus Brown...i think he will drop abit come draft day, due to the fact he has struggled to play OLB this week...i think given some time he would be an awesome strongside OLB. I had Curtis Johnson in my last mock...i think he will be a steal! I cant really see the point of drafting Green-Ellis...Gary Russell is basically that hight/weight, and has allot of promise. Why have you got Ellis there??? Thanks allot for your imput man :)

Mr. Stiller
01-23-2008, 11:20 AM
I dont really like Carpenter that much...but the value of that trade seems about right, so i'm cool with that. I'll let you off with bashing Cherilus all year cus i dont think any1 expected him to dominate like he has over the last couple of days...great pick. I'm not sold on Cousins, but he has looked fairly solid at guard...and he can play multiple positions, so that would be a solid pick. I really like Flowers, so that is another great pick. I've liked Langford all year...but i think you have him abit overrated there...i think he can be had abit later, pick 4b maybe??? I really like Bowman, i think most of his problems this week are down to nerves/confidence...at worst he would be solid depth...at best he would be a great starter. I like Greco...maybe even more than Cousins! I really like Titus Brown...i think he will drop abit come draft day, due to the fact he has struggled to play OLB this week...i think given some time he would be an awesome strongside OLB. I had Curtis Johnson in my last mock...i think he will be a steal! I cant really see the point of drafting Green-Ellis...Gary Russell is basically that hight/weight, and has allot of promise. Why have you got Ellis there??? Thanks allot for your imput man :)

I'll break this in pieces.

I dont really like Carpenter that much...but the value of that trade seems about right, so i'm cool with that.

I loved Carpenter in 2006 and was campaigning for him. He has great size and speed, was a terror at Weakside for OSU. The reason he's sucking at Dallas is they won't let him grow at 1 position. One minute their working him at Mack (RILB) and the next Sam (SOLB). I think coming in for a 3rd behind Farrior for a season (He's only 24-25), he could be a monster buck for us in the exact form of Farrior.

I'll let you off with bashing Cherilus all year cus i dont think any1 expected him to dominate like he has over the last couple of days...great pick.

Cherilus looked lousy at LT, he even told me so, but I thought he could play RT, I just wasn't sold on a 1st round RT. But as a mid 2nd, I could deal with a franchise RT.

I'm not sold on Cousins, but he has looked fairly solid at guard...and he can play multiple positions, so that would be a solid pick.

I love Cousins because he's got a nasty, nasty, nasty disposition. Former DL and plays like it. He has a nasty hand punch (Watch him knock defenders helmets back from initial shock), he is versatile (Being able to play all 4 exterior positions) and has LT potential.

I really like Flowers, so that is another great pick.

I've been watching Flowers the past 2 seasons and the kids physicallity is unreal.

I've liked Langford all year...but i think you have him abit overrated there...i think he can be had abit later, pick 4b maybe???

I don't know, he's having a great Season, and looked impressive in 2 all-star games. Not to mention he seems to be one of very few 3-4 Passrushing DE's. Most people want to take tall/lanky DT's and move them. That's not our MO. We like Oversized 4-3 DE's to put in our 1-gap 3-4 DL. Langford would take over for Kirschke and has passrushing skill, needs some bulk and run stopping work.

I really like Bowman, i think most of his problems this week are down to nerves/confidence...at worst he would be solid depth...at best he would be a great starter.

I like Bowman as well. I think he could be a Plex like Individual. Deceptive deep speed, normally good hands, tenacious down field blocker. I don't know if he'll fall that far, but I know his senior bowl performance is nothing like his Oklahoma State performance, and I think the lack of elite measureables (Sub 4.4, 6'4.5+ etc) will let him drop into the top of round 4.

I like Greco...maybe even more than Cousins!

I like him more than Cousins, but push come to shove, I take Cousins. I think Greco is a guy that could play LG, RG, RT and after a season or two, Center. I think that versatility lets him challenge RG early, and when Cousins takes LT, Greco Takes a Guard spot.

I really like Titus Brown...i think he will drop abit come draft day, due to the fact he has struggled to play OLB this week...i think given some time he would be an awesome strongside OLB.

I'm the same but opposite. I think Titus once given a year or 2 to acclimate himself to 3-4 OLB will be an excellent passrusher. But I take him on the weakside. He's basically the more "Gifted" Version of Harrison (Bigger, Faster), and a season or two in our system he could be a beast.

I had Curtis Johnson in my last mock...i think he will be a steal!

I watched Curtis Johnson and I honestly saw Jason Gildon, which is why I have him projected to Strongside OLB. Big, Strong, but stiff. I think he could be a passrushing terror behind Woodley and I don't think anyone would want to challenge our OLB's.

I cant really see the point of drafting Green-Ellis...Gary Russell is basically that hight/weight, and has allot of promise. Why have you got Ellis there???

Russell looked good in pre-season. But he hasn't proven anything yet. Najeh is not our "Powerback" and I think Russell may be better fit for a 3rd down role (Basically the next Verron Haynes). Ellis is just a terror. He carries the pile.. And at worst.. would it be bad to have 2 guys that are capable of doing that? Especially considering we spent what.. a 6th rounder and 3 UDFA's in our backfield?

Jakey
01-23-2008, 11:38 AM
I like your reasoning man! Is there any other players you have had your eye on over the last few weeks...or any players that you are high on???

mikehop05
01-23-2008, 11:51 AM
does carpenter still have the long hair?

if so i don't want him, he doesnt look cool at all...

and those are my thoughts on that trade.

terribletowel39
01-23-2008, 12:06 PM
does carpenter still have the long hair?

if so i don't want him, he doesnt look cool at all...

and those are my thoughts on that trade.
hey there is nothing wrong with people with long hair. dammit!!

Jakey
01-23-2008, 12:09 PM
hey there is nothing wrong with people with long hair. dammit!!

Haha...my hair was really long last year, it didnt look cool at all!

Now i'm starting to agree with MikeHop...long hair just dont look good on dudes! :D

mikehop05
01-23-2008, 12:19 PM
lol im just sayin, carpenter looked like "sunshine" from remember the titans (i think it was)

I just can't have that on my Steelers!

terribletowel39
01-23-2008, 12:25 PM
Haha...my hair was really long last year, it didnt look cool at all!

Now i'm starting to agree with MikeHop...long hair just dont look good on dudes! :D
i'm growing my hair out for Locks of Love. if ya don't know what that is it's donating your hair to cancer patients. they make wigs out of real hair and what not. well the rule down here in texas is for them to accept your hair, you have to have 10 inches in a ponytail. haha yea i'm at like 4 inches in a pony tail now. so i'm making good time considering when i started growing it, i was bald. probably got another year.

Mr. Stiller
01-23-2008, 12:32 PM
lol im just sayin, carpenter looked like "sunshine" from remember the titans (i think it was)

I just can't have that on my Steelers!

You have a point, I remember Peter King putting out an article this time last year, about how having long hair affects your play.

Ask Troy, Sanders or Mathis.... AJ Hawk?

mikehop05
01-23-2008, 12:40 PM
You have a point, I remember Peter King putting out an article this time last year, about how having long hair affects your play.

Ask Troy, Sanders or Mathis.... AJ Hawk?

okay, first off long dreds look freakin sweet on players

Troy's hair looks awesome out there

I wish AJ Hawk would cut his hair.

I never said it affected their play, just that a lot of them dont look like football players out there with their long blonde hair... they look more like figure skaters

DeathbyStat
01-23-2008, 12:42 PM
Cherilus has looked really good but he is best at right tackle I think we would be better off with Chris Williams and Sam Baker who are better suited to take over for Marvel at Lt tackle.

But Mayock and Charles Davis have stated that Sam Baker's short arms may actually be a real detriment to his nfl career

terribletowel39
01-23-2008, 12:42 PM
okay, first off long dreds look freakin sweet on players

Troy's hair looks awesome out there

I wish AJ Hawk would cut his hair.

I never said it affected their play, just that a lot of them dont look like football players out there with their long blonde hair... they look more like figure skaters
so is just blonde hair....because i have brown and don't want to be looked at as though i am a figure skater. even though the other day me and one of my friends (female) were walking out of this bar together and the bouncer was like yall have a goodnight ladies.

mikehop05
01-23-2008, 12:43 PM
so is just blonde hair....because i have brown and don't want to be looked at as though i am a figure skater. even though the other day me and one of my friends (female) were walking out of this bar together and the bouncer was like yall have a goodnight ladies.

hahahaha well having darker hair does help you a little, and for you i give a pass since you are growing your hair out for a good cause

mikehop05
01-23-2008, 12:44 PM
Cherilus has looked really good but he is best at right tackle I think we would be better off with Chris Williams and Sam Baker who are better suited to take over for Marvel at Lt tackle.

we just automatically writing off essex?

DeathbyStat
01-23-2008, 12:48 PM

not completely but we need depth

mikehop05
01-23-2008, 12:51 PM
not completely but we need depth

I like Sam Baker or Rachal, both guys are polished and good technicians, Baker though can play LT and guards.. Rachal can play both Guards and Center..

So I would prolly go with Baker

Mr. Stiller
01-23-2008, 12:52 PM
I like your reasoning man! Is there any other players you have had your eye on over the last few weeks...or any players that you are high on???

Just in General. I have about 2-3 Guys per position..

QB:

Josh Johnson, San Diego
Kevin O'Connell, San Diego State
Paul Smith, Tulsa

RB:

BenJarvus Green-Ellis, Mississippi
Xavier Omon, Northwest Missouri State
Ryan Torain, ASU

RB/WR/KR:

Chris Johnson, East Carolina
Rafael Little, Kentucky

FB:

Owen Schmitt, WVU
Peyton Hillis, Arkansas
Dionte Johnson, OSU

WR:

Earl Bennett, Vandy
Devin Thomas, Michigan State
Adarius Bowman, Oklahoma State

TE:

Jacob Tamme, Kentucky (WR)
Kellen Davis, Michigan State
Brent Miller, ASU

OT:

Gosder Cherilus, Boston College (RT)
Oniel Cousins, UTEP (OG/LT)
Duane Brown, VT (LG/LT)
Jeremy Zuttah, Rutgers (RT)

OG:

Brandon Albert, Virginia
John Greco, Toledo (OT)
Mike McGlynn, Pittsburgh
Frank Dunbar, Middle Tennessee State

C:

Kory Lichensteiger, Bowling Green
Kyle DeVan, Oregon State
Derrick Morse, Miami
Andrew Bain, Miami (OG/C)
Fernando Velasco, Georgia (OG/C)

3-4 DE:

Kendall Langford, Hampton
Marcus Dixon, Hampton
Bryan Robinson, Wesley
Robert Henderson, Southern Mississippi

3-4NT:

Sedrick Ellis, USC (Pipe Dream)
Ahytba Rubin, Iowa State
Josh Thompson, Auburn
Corey Clark, Jackson State

3-4 OLB:

Marcus Howard, Georgia
Titus Brown, MSU
Tommy Blake, TCU (Practice Squad.. either he does great, or fails)
Chase Ortiz, TCU
Trevor Scott, Buffalo
Curtis Johnson, Clark-Atlanta

3-4 ILB:

Curtis Gatewood, Vandy
Bo Ruud, Nebraska
Anthony Hoke, Cincy
Larry Grant, OSU
Hilee Taylor, UNC
Jameel McClain, Syracuse (UDFA)
Josh Johnson, Marshall

CB:

Brandon Flowers, VT
Terell Thomas, USC
Tyvon Branch, Connecticut
Justin Tryon, ASU
Trey Brown, UCLA
Brandon Carr, GVSU

FS:

D.J. Parker, VT
Thomas DeCoud, Cal
Dom Barber, Minnesota
Haruki Nakamura, Cincy
Djay Jones, GT

SS:

Jamie Silva, Boston College
Brian Bonner, TCU
Nehemiah Warrick, MSU

In no paticular order.

Mr. Stiller
01-23-2008, 12:53 PM
I like Sam Baker or Rachal, both guys are polished and good technicians, Baker though can play LT and guards.. Rachal can play both Guards and Center..

So I would prolly go with Baker

Thats why I like Cousins and Greco.. 2 guys that could literally in 2-3 years play every position on the OL.

Mr. Stiller
01-23-2008, 12:54 PM

I wouldn't mind seeing someone sign essex for a 3rd rounder in RFA.

Hines
01-23-2008, 01:54 PM
Tommy Kelly, starting defensive end for the Raiders, might be a free agent. He is a great run stopper and can rush the passer. He is 6'6 and weighs around 300 pounds. Torn his ACL last year which might hurt his free agent status, but I will be willing to sign him. He is really good.

Mr. Stiller
01-23-2008, 03:52 PM
Tommy Kelly, starting defensive end for the Raiders, might be a free agent. He is a great run stopper and can rush the passer. He is 6'6 and weighs around 300 pounds. Torn his ACL last year which might hurt his free agent status, but I will be willing to sign him. He is really good.

Depends. If he passes a physical and has a nice workout.. I wouldn't mind him being the strongside backup while Kendall Langford is the weakside Backup.

mikehop05
01-23-2008, 04:43 PM
im very impressed with patrick lee so far in the senior bowl practices

3rd/4th round?

Hines
01-23-2008, 05:49 PM
im very impressed with patrick lee so far in the senior bowl practices

3rd/4th round?

I am sure he will be a late first day pick. He might even go in the late first round. Maybe, maybe not, but I believe he is a really, really good player.

Jakey
01-23-2008, 05:53 PM
I've been impressed with Terrell Thomas so far...he reminds me of a mix between Ike Taylor (coverage skills) and Bryant McFadden (physicallity). I'd say he is right inbetween the two as a prospect...what do u guys think?

brat316
01-23-2008, 06:12 PM
Terrell Thomas got burned by Nelson, then again who doesn't, so I won't count that against him.

steelersfan27
01-23-2008, 06:24 PM
Leodis Mckelvin looks great. I think if hes there when we draft we must take him, unless a really good lineman falls to us.

mikehop05
01-23-2008, 06:57 PM
Leodis Mckelvin looks great. I think if hes there when we draft we must take him, unless a really good lineman falls to us.

mckelvin is a ballhawk, i love him

Mr. Stiller
01-23-2008, 07:26 PM
From What I've seen, McKelvin looks to have Ike Taylor Disease.

mikehop05
01-23-2008, 07:27 PM
From What I've seen, McKelvin looks to have Ike Taylor Disease.

i don't think his hands are as bad, though they certainly aren't great

Mr. Stiller
01-23-2008, 08:27 PM
i don't think his hands are as bad, though they certainly aren't great

Well thats my point..

I think teams succeed in passing on us.. not so much from lack of pass coverage, or lack of pass rush. I think they honestly aren't afraid that they'll be intercepted. Teams don't think twice about throwing at Ike Taylor 15-20 times a game because even if they hit him in the chest, on the numbers, right on his hands, he'll likely drop it.

gunners2020
01-24-2008, 08:55 AM
Quick mock - No trades

1) Chris Williams, OT, Vanderbilt
2) Dre Moore, DT/DE, Maryland
3) Earl Bennett, WR, Vanderbilt
4) Justin King, CB, Penn State
5) Fernando Velasco, C, Georgia
6) Johnny Dingle, OLB, West Virginia

Jakey
01-24-2008, 09:02 AM
Quick mock - No trades

I like it allot man...i like all these picks, although i dont know how realistic it is. Both Bennett and King will prolly be gone at that point...and i'm not convinced Dingle is athletic enough to play OLB.

Mr. Stiller
01-24-2008, 09:56 AM
Quick mock - No trades

I don't know if I'd take Moore in round 2.

King in 4 would be purely on intangibles, but I like the pick.

Dingle would be a 3-4 RDE in our scheme, likely taking a year to bulk up. But he was a very successful passrusher in WVU's 3-3-5..

Jakey
01-24-2008, 10:03 AM
Mr. Stiller...what WR's do you see us taking a look at this year? Thanks bro.

brat316
01-24-2008, 01:03 PM
what about Jason Jones for DE. WR hmmm i guess it is going to be a possession guy. We already got our speed in Holmes and Nate,

mikehop05
01-24-2008, 01:20 PM
what about Jason Jones for DE. WR hmmm i guess it is going to be a possession guy. We already got our speed in Holmes and Nate,

Yeah and Ben has publicly asked for a taller WR...

Though if Baker can make it off the PS that may be a guy who can get some PT next year

Hines
01-24-2008, 02:23 PM
Quick little mock I made today in math class.

We trade our first for Atls 2 second rounders and their 5th.

2a) Gosder Cherlius RT Boston College
2b) Patrick Lee CB Auburn
2c) Earl Bennett WR Vanderbilt
3) Jason Jones DE Eastern Michigan
4) John Greco G/T Toledo
5a) Dexter Jackson WR/KR/PR Appalachian State
5b) Vince Hall LB Virginia Tech
6) Curtis Johnson OLB Clark Atlanta

mikehop05
01-24-2008, 03:59 PM
Quick little mock I made today in math class.

We trade our first for Atls 2 second rounders and their 5th.

2a) Gosder Cherlius RT Boston College
2b) Patrick Lee CB Auburn
3) Jason Jones DE Eastern Michigan
4) John Greco G/T Toledo
5a) Dexter Jackson WR/KR/PR Appalachian State
5b) Vince Hall LB Virginia Tech
6) Curtis Johnson OLB Clark Atlanta

that would be nice but it is very unrealistic

Dexter Jackson
Gosder Cherlius
Earl Bennett

are all guys that will more than likely be chosen well before you have them

Mr. Stiller
01-25-2008, 06:09 AM
Mr. Stiller...what WR's do you see us taking a look at this year? Thanks bro.

Early, I'd say OL, DL mostly, but it depends on what happens trade wise, who falls.

Just like last year, if there's a player you love, you take him.

I love Keith Rivers, he'd be killer next to Timmons as we'd probably have the most athletic, most physical interior LB's in the league. I can't see him falling past 10, let alone 15.

I figure round 1 will be BPA with respect to need (DE or OT/OG) and the rest will be BPA. Like most of our drafts.

I know there's one Pitt scout who's in love with Xavier Adibi.

Mr. Stiller
01-25-2008, 06:11 AM
that would be nice but it is very unrealistic

Dexter Jackson
Gosder Cherlius
Earl Bennett

are all guys that will more than likely be chosen well before you have them

Actually... most places have Dexter Jackson as a 6-7, Gosder as a mid-late 2, and Earl Bennett as a 2-mid 3.

So in respect to where most places and scouts have them ranked, I'd say he's nearly dead on.

Mr. Stiller
01-25-2008, 06:12 AM
Yeah and Ben has publicly asked for a taller WR...

Though if Baker can make it off the PS that may be a guy who can get some PT next year

I think if we don't trade down, we can bring in 2 guys that could be exceptional "Big" WR's.

Ernest Wheelwright and Tony Burks.

Burks was f'd in the A by getting stuck with a wildly inconsistent freshman QB. Wheelwright went to a school thats only known for putting RB's in the pro's.. little if anything else. So they could be 2 Diamonds needing refined.

Jakey
01-25-2008, 06:14 AM
Where would Adibi fit in our scheme??? The only place i can think of is, if he was to play mack...and Timmons would be the eventual replacement at buck. I'd say Timmons playing weight is around 240lbs at the mo'...which is just about enough to play buck. Do you see that scenario as a possibility???

mikehop05
01-25-2008, 11:21 AM
Actually... most places have Dexter Jackson as a 6-7, Gosder as a mid-late 2, and Earl Bennett as a 2-mid 3.

So in respect to where most places and scouts have them ranked, I'd say he's nearly dead on.

we'll see what happens come draft time

but if what you say is right, then i apologize but...i just dont see it happening

Mr. Stiller
01-25-2008, 10:43 PM
Where would Adibi fit in our scheme??? The only place i can think of is, if he was to play mack...and Timmons would be the eventual replacement at buck. I'd say Timmons playing weight is around 240lbs at the mo'...which is just about enough to play buck. Do you see that scenario as a possibility???

Who knows honestly. I think Timmons will be the more athletic, more big play version of James Farrior, I'm just concerned about consistency. James is one of the best at finishing the tackle, and not quitting on a zone, a blitz or tackling.

Timmons I don't know about.

Personally I'd love Timmons at Mack, Keith Rivers at Buck, but I doubt Rivers falls past 10.. let alone 7. I hate thinking of him in a Red White and silver Uni..

Adibi could potentially add 15 lbs putting him at 235 and he could play strongside at that... he has abnormally long arms..

Hines
01-26-2008, 01:17 AM
I fell in love with a new tackle. His name is Carl Nicks. Hopefully he is there late second, maybe even the third. He would be a beast, and he is still raw and has time for improvement, but has freakish size. I like DJ Hall, but his attitude worries me, but he can jump out of the stadium and is skinny, but tall.

Mr. Stiller
01-26-2008, 01:18 AM
Man, I wish we would've gone OL rounds 1 and 3 last year.. I would love to land Keith Rivers in 1 this year and Shawn Crable in 2.

trade down with Chicaga (They want a top rated QB)..

2a) Oniel Cousins, LT, UTEP
2b) Shawn Crable, ROLB, Michigan
3a) Devin Thomas, WR, Michigan State
3b) Kendall Langford, RDE, Hampton
3c) Brandon Flowers, CB, Virginia Tech
4) John Greco, OG/RT, Toledo
5a) Jeremy Thompson, LOLB/ST, Wake Forest
5b) Spencer Larson, ILB, Arizona
6) Keilen Dykes, LDE, West Virginia

Priority UDFA:

Alex Brinks, QB, Washingotn State
Pierre Garcon, KR/PR/WR, Mount Union
Rafael Little, KR/PR/RB/WR, Kentucky
Brandon McAnderson RB/FB, Kansas

Gabe Long, NT, Utah
Trevor Scott, ROLB/ST, Buffalo
Anthony Hoke, RILB, Cincy
Bo Ruud, LILB, Nebraska
Haruki Nakamura, FS, Cincy
Derrick Doggett, SS, Oregon State

Jakey
01-26-2008, 07:25 AM
Quick Mock - No Trades

1: Chris Williams - OT
2: Tracy Porter - CB
3: Devin Thomas - WR
4: Kendall Langford - DE
5: Curtis Johnson - OLB
6: Richard Clebert - NT

This mock is abit different...but i like it! :)

DeathbyStat
01-26-2008, 08:48 AM
Early, I'd say OL, DL mostly, but it depends on what happens trade wise, who falls.

Just like last year, if there's a player you love, you take him.

I love Keith Rivers, he'd be killer next to Timmons as we'd probably have the most athletic, most physical interior LB's in the league. I can't see him falling past 10, let alone 15.

I figure round 1 will be BPA with respect to need (DE or OT/OG) and the rest will be BPA. Like most of our drafts.

I know there's one Pitt scout who's in love with Xavier Adibi.

Didn't we try an Adibi once upon a time?

Mr. Stiller
01-26-2008, 12:02 PM
Didn't we try an Adibi once upon a time?

Nathanial.. yeah, he was a less impressive DE that couldn't make the transition.

Xaviers older brother.

Mr. Stiller
01-26-2008, 12:03 PM
Quick Mock - No Trades

1: Chris Williams - OT
2: Tracy Porter - CB
3: Devin Thomas - WR
4: Kendall Langford - DE
5: Curtis Johnson - OLB
6: Richard Clebert - NT

This mock is abit different...but i like it! :)

I would say...

1) Good pick, play RT rookie year, LT after that.
2) I'd prefer Flowers, but if You're going on KR/PR skills not bad, though he's looked dreadful as a KR recently (I start seeing shades of Colclough).
3) Love Devin Thomas but...
4) I don't see Kendall Langford making it to us in round 4. I take him in 3.
5) I like Curtis Johnson as a LOLB like Gildon.
6) I Think we could sign Clebert as a UDFA.

DeathbyStat
01-26-2008, 04:36 PM
I think we need a late round saftey for depth....does anyone have any ideas.

Quinten Demps has look good in the senior bowl.

I don't know what round he will be taken in but i think we should go saftey some where from the 4th to the 7th

mikehop05
01-26-2008, 07:11 PM
I think we need a late round saftey for depth....does anyone have any ideas.

Quinten Demps has look good in the senior bowl.

I don't know what round he will be taken in but i think we should go saftey some where from the 4th to the 7th

ive actually been impressed with the kid from ND, he could be a day two pick and can also return

DeathbyStat
01-26-2008, 11:27 PM
ive actually been impressed with the kid from ND, he could be a day two pick and can also return

Zibbi.....come on he can't cover worth a dam

we need a deep free saftey much more than a rover.

Mr. Stiller
01-27-2008, 01:33 AM
I have a 6 pick mock:

1) Chris Williams, LT/RT, Vanderbilt
2) Oniel Cousins, LG/RG/RT, UTEP
3) Kendall Langford, RDE, Hampton
4) Adarius Bowman, WR, Oklahoma State
5) Spencer Larson, LILB/ST's, Arizona
6) Justin Tryon, CB/KR, Arizona State

steelersfan27
01-27-2008, 09:30 AM
I have a 6 pick mock:

1) i like this kid and i dont think it will be much of a reach come draft day.
2) I love this pick as well, hes very raw
3) Good pick here, can compete with keisel
4) has his stock dropped that much
5) i would take an OLB here
6) like this one too

overall good mock

mikehop05
01-27-2008, 11:06 AM
Zibbi.....come on he can't cover worth a dam

we need a deep free saftey much more than a rover.

thats what i thought too until i saw the senior bowl practices, the kid just has a nose for the football it seems

mikehop05
01-27-2008, 11:07 AM
I have a 6 pick mock:

not sexy but fills our needs very adequately

Mr. Stiller
01-27-2008, 11:39 AM
The only issue is that we may not have a chance at Williams.. He's looking like a top 20 pick. If the Combine confirms his athleticism, he could beat out Clady for #2 IMO.

Meaning we may have Otah and Baker to choose from.

Also, we've signed Jared Zabransky the Boise State QB and he said we plan on bringing a rookie in for competition.

What does this mean? Death to Frenchy!

mikehop05
01-27-2008, 12:07 PM
The only issue is that we may not have a chance at Williams.. He's looking like a top 20 pick. If the Combine confirms his athleticism, he could beat out Clady for #2 IMO.

Meaning we may have Otah and Baker to choose from.

Also, we've signed Jared Zabransky the Boise State QB and he said we plan on bringing a rookie in for competition.

What does this mean? Death to Frenchy!

brian st pierre no more!

Hines
01-27-2008, 12:46 PM
Quick little mock:

1) Carl Nicks OT Nebraska
2) Earl Bennett WR Vanderbilt
3) Kendall Langford DE Hampton
4) Jolonn Dunbar LB Boston College
5) Jordan Grimes G Purdue
6) DJ Parker S Virginia Tech

skarocksoi
01-27-2008, 01:41 PM
brian st pierre no more!

Now who is that guy going to impersonate to pick up chicks at the bars downtown?

mikehop05
01-27-2008, 01:43 PM
Now who is that guy going to impersonate to pick up chicks at the bars downtown?

hahah well hes always got jermaine tuman

Mr. Stiller
01-27-2008, 02:14 PM
hahah well hes always got jermaine tuman

Jeremy?

1) I don't think Nicks is a 1st rounder, or LT capable.
2) I love Bennett.
3) You know how I feel about Langford.
4) Are you expecting him in the Lineup? Because His only real position would be RILB and thats for Timmons.
5) I'm not a fan of Grimes.. The kid from Connecticut would be a better 5th round.
6) DJ Parker is likely a late 3rd early 4th.

mikehop05
01-27-2008, 02:15 PM
Quick little mock:

i thnk thats too early for nicks.. everything else looks alright though

mikehop05
01-27-2008, 03:46 PM
First mock of the year, been thinking about this for a while and these are some thoughts I came up with...

Our d-line is our biggest problem.
Smith, Hampton, Hoke, Kierschke, all above 30, all old. Keisel is not bad but he is not great. and He will be 30 this season as well. Coaches love Mcbean and I am a fan as well, but he is still raw and when he develops he can only play one position. Our d-line may be solid again this year but age comes injury and ineffectiveness and i think we are starting to see both.

Our o-line really doesn't concern me that much. I loved what i saw out of Essex, I think Colon will be an excellent guard, I think Between Kemo, Stapleton, Colon and Simmons, we should be able to throw together a decent interior line. To me the biggest concern is RT. Maybe we can try Smith there, maybe Capizzi will surprise us, maybe we will resign Max Starks, maybe Colon goes back there.

Those are our two biggest concerns. I am going to go on record stating that Baker makes the squad this year, and thus eliminates the need for a taller WR early.

Well, here we go.

RD 1) I think when it is all said and done he is still here. And we jump at the opportunity to get a great tackle. I was going back and forth on this but right now I see him as the best option and could possibly start from day one.
http://graphics.fansonly.com/schools/vand/graphics/auto/williams372475inside1.jpg
Chris Williams, OT, Vandy

RD2) Our D-line needs to get younger and nastier. This guy does it both... a little funny drafting him since he and Williams went at it at the senior bowl but thats competition for you.
http://www.aggieathletics.com/sports/football/images/action/250x250/bryant-red.jpg
Joseph (Red) Bryant, DT, Texas A&M

RD3) Again, we need younger trench guys. I don't think anyone will argue with this pick.
http://www.nfldraftdog.com/images/Kendall-Langford.jpg
Kendall Langford, DE, Hampton

RD4) Well I really went back and forth on this pick. I actually had Jordy Nelson here, had his picture up but I realized what we need more than a good back up receiver right now is a good back up receiver who is also a hell of a kick returner, had a good week at the senior bowl.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/ncaa/specials/preview/2006/teams/photos/vatech.jpg
Eddie Royal, WR/KR, Va. Tech

RD5) A hell of a competitor, the heart and soul of the UMD team, is not a flashy guy at all, he is not going to 'wow' anyone with his athleticism, but he is a technician, he has great fundamentals, and can give us some good depth in the middle of the line.
http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/45/458401m.jpg
Andrew Crummey, OG, UMD

RD6) You know what you're getting from the kid every time he sets foot on the field. Tough guy, hard worker, gives us some good depth, classic 4.0ypc guy.
http://absolutepigskin.com/blogs/articles/Jacob%20Hester%20LSU.jpg
Jacob Hester, RB, LSU

After all is said and done, we are younger and better in the trenches.. which is where the game is won. We have a potential big play return man, and we got a guy who can fill a variety of roles for us.

brat316
01-27-2008, 04:12 PM
I like the mock, I was actually going to say what about drafting matt Forte, the steelers aren't against drafting a rb, even a round 1, though i doubt that happens.

Also I liked Hawkins

steelersfan27
01-27-2008, 05:03 PM
i would love for this draft to happen. the nly thing i would change is Peyton Hillis instead of Hester if he is there.

terribletowel39
01-27-2008, 06:00 PM
mike i want to fellate that mock of yours. by far my favorite from anyone so far. i love what i saw from all of the first three during senior bowl week. i have a man crush on Bryant. also Hester is ya know LSU alumni, so i never mind that plus he is a haus.

Mr. Stiller
01-27-2008, 07:27 PM
Only issue about taking an RB in the draft, is there's going to be some good ones after the draft..

Ryan Torain, ASU ~ Considered a 1st rounder at one point
Xavier Omon, NWMSU ~ Runs just like Hester, but is a good bit faster
Brandon McAnderson, Kansas ~ a 5'11 230+lb bowling ball.

As for Red Bryant.. he's a joke.. if you want a DL in round 2, go with Phil Merling, Dre Moore or Trevor Laws.

mikehop05
01-27-2008, 11:14 PM
i dont know man, bryant was a beast during the senior bowl practices

brat316
01-27-2008, 11:24 PM
How about Ellis, sure he is top 10 pick now, but look at what happened to Branch.

mikehop05
01-27-2008, 11:35 PM
How about Ellis, sure he is top 10 pick now, but look at what happened to Branch.

i mean, i don't see it happeneing but if he is there i dont see how we pass up on him

Mr. Stiller
01-28-2008, 01:03 AM
i mean, i don't see it happeneing but if he is there i dont see how we pass up on him

Branch had work ethic concerns coupled with Stress fractures in his shins..

Ellis is an unstoppable force that no one questions his will or effort.

DeathbyStat
01-28-2008, 01:05 PM
Branch had work ethic concerns coupled with Stress fractures in his shins..

Ellis is an unstoppable force that no one questions his will or effort.

I couldn't put it much better....i really hope the bengals don't get ahold of Ellis

Hines
01-28-2008, 01:41 PM
A quick little mock I made in class today:

We trade our first for ATLs two seconds and fifth:

2a) Gosder Cherlius OT Boston College
2b) Trevor Laws DE Notre Dame
3) Eddie Royal WR/KR/PR Virginia Tech
4) John Greco G/T Toledo
5a) Rafael Little RB Kentucky
5b) Jack Williams CB Kent State
6) Carlton Powell DE Virginia Tech

mikehop05
01-28-2008, 04:05 PM
mike i want to fellate that mock of yours. by far my favorite from anyone so far. i love what i saw from all of the first three during senior bowl week. i have a man crush on Bryant. also Hester is ya know LSU alumni, so i never mind that plus he is a haus.

thanks yeah i think the senior bowl might have influenced some of my picks but i really liked all of those guys and i think they would be great value at all of the positions

i love bryant too

mikehop05
01-28-2008, 04:06 PM
i would love for this draft to happen. the nly thing i would change is Peyton Hillis instead of Hester if he is there.

i agree, i just that hillis would be gone before hester would...

only thing about hester is he has better hands where as hillis has better power, its really a toss up

terribletowel39
01-28-2008, 04:18 PM
i agree, i just that hillis would be gone before hester would...

only thing about hester is he has better hands where as hillis has better power, its really a toss up
its not a toss up, i would take Hester's musical taste and his heart before any of Hillis's attributes. my opinion is that Hester is the hardest running individual in this draft. he doesn't tire. and runs harder as the game gets longer. Hillis couldn't handle the load that Hester was asked to carry this year. or atleast that is what i believe.

Hines
01-28-2008, 08:01 PM
Second-year RB Gary Russell could reportedly see an expanded role in Pittsburgh's offense in 2008.

Incumbent third-down back Najeh Davenport is due a $1 million salary this season, and the Steelers could save some cap room by having Russell fill that role. Russell, a 220-pound bruiser, will also be a short-yardage option.

mikehop05
01-28-2008, 08:17 PM
Second-year RB Gary Russell could reportedly see an expanded role in Pittsburgh's offense in 2008.

Incumbent third-down back Najeh Davenport is due a $1 million salary this season, and the Steelers could save some cap room by having Russell fill that role. Russell, a 220-pound bruiser, will also be a short-yardage option.

wheres that from

Hines
01-28-2008, 08:18 PM
wheres that from

Rotoworld. I really hope he takes the number two and we release Najeh, that would be good. Then we can draft or sign a number three, and have great running back depth. I would love to have a home run threat as our number three now.

Hines
01-28-2008, 08:24 PM
A quick little mock I made in class today:

We trade our first for ATLs two seconds and fifth:

2a) Gosder Cherlius OT Boston College
2b) Trevor Laws DE Notre Dame
3) Eddie Royal WR/KR/PR Virginia Tech
4) John Greco G/T Toledo
5a) Rafael Little RB Kentucky
5b) Jack Williams CB Kent State
6) Carlton Powell DE Virginia Tech

Just updating this, so everyone can see and comment on it. I believe this is my best mock to date.

steelersfan27
01-28-2008, 08:37 PM
Just updating this, so everyone can see and comment on it. I believe this is my best mock to date.

agreed. i love it

Mr. Stiller
01-28-2008, 09:57 PM
Hey guys,

Here's a name we haven't thrown around much.

Brandon Albert. He played LG for Virginia, but at 6'7 325lbs he may be a natural Left tackle, as showed by the 2 games he played last year.

Jim Wexell of SCI is enamored by this kid..

Here is a snippet of the article with his notes.

· “Long arms.”

· “Not real quick, but mobile.”

· “Very strong.”

· “Gets in front of screens.”

· “Blowing open holes.”

· “*Very interesting.”

· “Killing people!”

· “Second round.”

Mr. Stiller
01-28-2008, 09:58 PM
Rotoworld. I really hope he takes the number two and we release Najeh, that would be good. Then we can draft or sign a number three, and have great running back depth. I would love to have a home run threat as our number three now.

Even though this is the most cap room we've had in about 5 years.. I could see us releasing Tuman, Wilson and Davenport.. Each netting us nearly 1M in cap space.

Hines
01-28-2008, 10:11 PM
Even though this is the most cap room we've had in about 5 years.. I could see us releasing Tuman, Wilson and Davenport.. Each netting us nearly 1M in cap space.

Which means we can sign at least one upper tier free agent. How do you like my mock?

ryanrayne
01-28-2008, 10:13 PM
Steelers offer contract to reserve QB
Monday, January 28, 2008
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers have offered a contract to former Boise State quarterback Jared Zabransky with the idea he could possibly be more than just an extra arm in training camp.

Zabransky, who spent part of last season on the Houston Texans practice squad, worked out for the Steelers last week and is expected to sign a one-year free agent contract with the team, said his agent, Monroeville native Eric Metz.

Zabransky was told he will have a chance to compete for a roster spot, particularly if third-team quarterback Brian St. Pierre, who is an unrestricted free agent, is not re-signed.

First published on January 28, 2008 at 4:55 pm

ryanrayne
01-28-2008, 10:33 PM
Could Jacksonville be ready to give up on Jones?
I've always loved his potential, and believed half the struggles in Jacksonville were due to a pathetic excuse of a QB in Leftwich. Garrard played well this year though, and he was de-activated. I still think it'd be worth a flyer, considering he's 6'6" and runs a low 4.3, and I have seen him make some great catches. Maybe he just needs a change of scenery.

I'd pick him up if he comes at a reasonable price, no doubt about it.

Hines
01-28-2008, 10:47 PM
For some reason, I think William *** is going to start sometime for us. Either next year or the year after, I think he will start for us over Deshea and BMac.

TheWood56
01-29-2008, 06:02 AM
Could Jacksonville be ready to give up on Jones?
I've always loved his potential, and believed half the struggles in Jacksonville were due to a pathetic excuse of a QB in Leftwich. Garrard played well this year though, and he was de-activated. I still think it'd be worth a flyer, considering he's 6'6" and runs a low 4.3, and I have seen him make some great catches. Maybe he just needs a change of scenery.

I'd pick him up if he comes at a reasonable price, no doubt about it.

I'd be all for the Steelers bringing in Matt Jones if it were for the right price.

TheWood56
01-29-2008, 06:07 AM
For some reason, I think William *** is going to start sometime for us. Either next year or the year after, I think he will start for us over Deshea and BMac.

Really? I don't know. I can't really see him beating out Townsend or McFadden for the #2 CB position.

Who knows though, he could be starting for us in the 09 season. Nobody really knows. All I know is that I really hope he can develop into a good CB, because as I'm sure everyone here knows, you can never have enough good CB's, especially when you have to play teams like the Patriots who just spread you out and pass all over the field. You also have to think about teams like the Colts and even the Bengals who have great passing games with top WR's.

So with that in mind, I really hope he can develop into a good one, because as I said, you can never have enough quality CB's.

gunners2020
01-29-2008, 10:52 AM
6 round draft no trades.

I think the rising Chris Williams will over take Otah on many draft boards, But i have no problem with that as Otah falls right into our laps. Otah is a great physical specimen, who holds his weight well, and has room to grow, a real mauler he holds his rushers and will open lanes. His footwork needs some coaching, but he is a good enough run blocker to start at right tackle straight away, this will shift colon over to right guard, a much better fit due to his short arms. He may be very raw, but Otah has limitless potential, and with the right coaching he will be a pro bowl LT.

2) Dre Moore - Maryland DE/DT -Height: 6-4. Weight: 307

A relentless mauler, with good size, and a great motor, brilliant in run stopping, and can also rush the quarterback too. His conditioning may be an issue, but that can easily be sorted out.
with these first too picks we pick up two nasty sob to help our depleted lines.

3) Earl Bennett - Vanderbilt - WR - Height: 6-0. Weight: 200

Hines is getting on in years, so now is the time to get his replacement, almost a clone, Bennett is one of the best possession receivers in the draft, sharing the same size and frame as Hines, as well as being every bit as physical, Bennett can learn from the best, and eventually replace ward in a few years.

4) Justin King - Penn State-CB - Height: 6-0. Weight: 186
This pick is my favorite of the draft, King has all the upside in the world, he has great intangibles and blazing speed, he is also devastating as a returner.
okay he has some issues and thats what pushes him down to the late fourth, but we know Tomlin likes a project, and i predict he will be our starting CB with in two years. But if nothing else we get a great return man and get to wan bye to rossum and reid.

5) Curtis Gatewood - Vanderbilt LB - Height: 6-3. Weight: 245
A versatile and athletic linebacker who can play both outside and in, although he is slightly undersized he has a great motor and can rush very effectively. his versatility would be an asset as it will bring youth and depth to our aging LB core.

6) Johnny Dingle - West Virginia DE - Height: 6-3. Weight: 270

Another project, but what do you expect this late in the draft, undersized he needs to bulk up at least 20 pounds in order to become a 3-4 DE. This kid is a great pass rusher who knows how to get to the QB. will add depth and youth to the line, could be a similar sort of steal to Keissel