PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Off Season/Draft Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9

DeathbyStat
02-12-2008, 05:06 PM
There could be a huge crop of passrushers next year. On the top of my head there could be:

George Selvie South Florida
Ricky Sapp Clemson
Everrette Brown Florida State
Maurice Evans Penn State
Greg Hardy Ole Miss
Michael Johnson Georgia Tech
Greg Middleton Indiana

Frankly those are mostly juniors, but I believe those guys will come out depending on draft position and if players get hurt and ect. We would be smart to snatch one of them up.

I don't know about the rest but i think Maurice Evans will be much better in the 4-3 as an end.

Jakey
02-12-2008, 05:08 PM
There could be a huge crop of passrushers next year. On the top of my head there could be:

George Selvie South Florida
Ricky Sapp Clemson
Everrette Brown Florida State
Maurice Evans Penn State
Greg Hardy Ole Miss
Michael Johnson Georgia Tech
Greg Middleton Indiana

Frankly those are mostly juniors, but I believe those guys will come out depending on draft position and if players get hurt and ect. We would be smart to snatch one of them up.

I like all of those players...and i would be a lil' dissapointed if we didnt land one of them.

terribletowel39
02-12-2008, 05:09 PM
i haven't seen who we play yet. where do we find that??

DeathbyStat
02-12-2008, 05:13 PM
Its on the front page of the steelers site

http://www.steelers.com/

Aside from the eagles and the texans all non conference games are against playoff teams

Mr. Stiller
02-12-2008, 05:16 PM
I don't know about the rest but i think Maurice Evans will be much better in the 4-3 as an end.

Agreed.

Senior OLB's:

Brian Orakpo, Texas
Tim Jamison, Michigan ~ Another Favorite
Ian Campbell, Kansas State
Clint Sintim, Virginia
Antwain Robinson, Oklahoma
Matt Shaughnessy, Wisconsin
Eric Moncur, Miami
Jamaal Westerman, Rutgers (Personal Favorite, the only guy that abused Otah)
Kirston Pittman, LSU
Will Davis, Illinois

Jr. OLB's:

George Selvie, South Florida
Greg Hardy, Mississippi
Maurice Evans, Penn State (Better 4-3 WDE or 3-4 SOLB)
Jermaine Cunningham, Florida
Ricky Sapp, Clemson ~ Personal Favorite
Everette Brown, Florida State
Willie Young, NC State
Brandon Graham, Michigan
Eric Norwood, South Carolina
Marcus Tillman, Mississippi
Justin Mincey, Florida State ~ (Interesting 3-4 LOLB Backup idea 6'5 275lbs)
Robert Rose, Ohio State ~ Next Freak?

Hines
02-12-2008, 05:17 PM
Its really too early to tell but our schedule seems very brutal.

I will break it down:

Cleveland- I can see us splitting with them. We might actually sweep them again. But I see us splitting with them.

Baltimore- They got so many problems that we will sweep them this year.

Cincinati- They also got problems, but they have a huge offense and could only get better on defense. If they get better on defense, they will be scary. I will say we sweep them, but we could split.

Houston- This game scares me. They have a good defense, and a potent offence when needed. If AJ stays healthy, that is a huge matchup problem for Ike and our defense. If they dont improve the secondary, we will beat them. I will say we win as they got a few more questions to be in serious contention.

Indianapolis- If we go to the formula in the '05 playoff game, we will beat them. If not, they will kick our ass like the first time we played them. Depending on date, I will say Colts win. Even in the shine, I think Colts win.

Chargers- If we shut down LT, we will win the game. Their defense is really good, but I think we could squeak out points on them and be able to run the ball on them, expecially since Jamaal Williams cant stay healthy. I say we win.

Cowboys- I can see this as a good game. If we pressure Romo, we win. If not, we will have a hard time since they have Witten, Owens, and Barber who can hurt us. I see them winning.

Giants- Plex is going to want revenge and their defensive line could really hurt us in this game. But, I think we are better and will improve and adapt to their pressure. We win.

Jacksonville- We always play them close and the two games we played them this year, they were classics. I expect not one thing different next year, but hopefully we end up on the winning side. A more expierenced Garrard can be dangerous, but we have proved that when he is rattled, he is not that good. We bring pressure and we win. So I say we sqeak this one out.

Titans- I am sure we will have problems with Vince, but other then that, they are not that good. I think we beat them easily.

Patriots- If they keep Moss, they will be very, very hard to beat. Their offense will be potent once again and be hard to contend. I see them beating us as they will improve their aging defense.

Eagles- They are a good, sound team. Their offense is legit with Westbrook and he will and can hurt us in many ways. If they get another playmaker, they will be hard to beat, but I see them going o-line and defense in the draft so I think we beat them.

Redskins- They are a good team, but I dont think they are ready to take the next step. They have holes on the defensive line, and wide reciever, plus in the secondary. I think we beat them.

That leaves us at 12-4. But I know that we might not go that way. We have holes that we need to improve on, and if we do, we could go 12-4. If not, I can see us between 9-7 to 12-4.

terribletowel39
02-12-2008, 05:21 PM
Its on the front page of the steelers site

http://www.steelers.com/

Aside from the eagles and the texans all non conference games are against playoff teams
i can't wait for the Dallas game. hopefully will be able to shut up all these dumb dallas fans i work with. might be one worth driving up and watching. who knows. and why do we have to play the Jags again?? BALLS!!!

DeathbyStat
02-12-2008, 05:23 PM
God I'm so sick of playing the Jags....please make it stop

Jakey
02-12-2008, 05:25 PM
Agreed.

Senior OLB's:

Brian Orakpo, Texas
Tim Jamison, Michigan ~ Another Favorite
Ian Campbell, Kansas State
Clint Sintim, Virginia
Antwain Robinson, Oklahoma
Matt Shaughnessy, Wisconsin
Eric Moncur, Miami
Jamaal Westerman, Rutgers (Personal Favorite, the only guy that abused Otah)
Kirston Pittman, LSU
Will Davis, Illinois

Jr. OLB's:

George Selvie, South Florida
Greg Hardy, Mississippi
Maurice Evans, Penn State (Better 4-3 WDE or 3-4 SOLB)
Jermaine Cunningham, Florida
Ricky Sapp, Clemson ~ Personal Favorite
Everette Brown, Florida State
Willie Young, NC State
Brandon Graham, Michigan
Eric Norwood, South Carolina
Marcus Tillman, Mississippi
Justin Mincey, Florida State ~ (Interesting 3-4 LOLB Backup idea 6'5 275lbs)
Robert Rose, Ohio State ~ Next Freak?

Bolded are my favourites at the mo'

Mr. Stiller
02-12-2008, 05:29 PM
Bolded are my favourites at the mo'

If Westerman falls to round 3C next year, I take him and STILL take Sapp. Why?

Can't have too many good passrushers.

Westerman ABUSED Otah.

Selvie and Long couldn't do that.

gunners2020
02-13-2008, 08:29 AM
A bit of an off the wall mock.

1) Kenny Phillips, Miami- FS- Phillips drops, and the steelers have put up with Anthony smith long enough Phillips gives us an elite tandem with troy, plus if troy does go down with injuries smith can step in at ss, and not worry about coverage as much.

2) Anthony Collins, Kansas - OT - Mauler who is fast of the snap, LT potential will start at RT colon shifts inside.

3) Red Bryant, Texas A&M -DE - D line help, he will add youth and nastiness to the line, got into a slugging match with chris williams, will rile up the opposition.

4) Keenan Burton, Kentucky WR - Nice big target, decent hands, can return kicks

5) Fernando Velasco, Georgia - C/OG Solid line depth at guard and centre , good low centre of gravity good on the pivot.

6) Curtis Johnson, Clark Atlanta - LB - Linebacker depth

brat316
02-13-2008, 08:40 AM
Phillips falling that far now that is a reach, but that would be a great pick up.

Mr. Stiller
02-13-2008, 10:09 AM

1) Kenny Phillips, Miami- FS- Phillips drops, and the steelers have put up with Anthony smith long enough Phillips gives us an elite tandem with troy, plus if troy does go down with injuries smith can step in at ss, and not worry about coverage as much.

2) Anthony Collins, Kansas - OT - Mauler who is fast of the snap, LT potential will start at RT colon shifts inside.

3) Red Bryant, Texas A&M -DE - D line help, he will add youth and nastiness to the line, got into a slugging match with chris williams, will rile up the opposition.

5) Fernando Velasco, Georgia - C/OG Solid line depth at guard and centre , good low centre of gravity good on the pivot.

I don't know who told you Anthony Collins is a mauler.. but he lied to you.

Anthony Collins = skinnier Trai Essex.

skarocksoi
02-13-2008, 04:25 PM

6) Curtis Johnson, Clark Atlanta - LB - Linebacker depth[/B]

Bah. You people calling for Smith's head already are driving me crazy! He's two years into his professional career and has been a starter for less than 1 season, only due to an injury to a starter. He shows a lot of potential and once he learns the game and the system we run, he can be a very good player, perhaps even a star. WHY DOES EVERYONE WANT TO GET RID OF HIM!?!

Honestly, I'm going to stab someone in the throat if I hear that again. (I'm not actually going to stab someone in the throat, just imagine it in my head) Not that Phillips is a bad player or anything, but I think he will be taken before our pick and we have no real need for another free safety. Thank you and goodnight.

terribletowel39
02-13-2008, 04:28 PM
Bah. You people calling for Smith's head already are driving me crazy! He's two years into his professional career and has been a starter for less than 1 season, only due to an injury to a starter. He shows a lot of potential and once he learns the game and the system we run, he can be a very good player, perhaps even a star. WHY DOES EVERYONE WANT TO GET RID OF HIM!?!

Honestly, I'm going to stab someone in the throat if I hear that again. (I'm not actually going to stab someone in the throat, just imagine it in my head) Not that Phillips is a bad player or anything, but I think he will be taken before our pick and we have no real need for another free safety. Thank you and goodnight.
i'm feeling a sense of anger from you rock?? everything alright??

Mr. Stiller
02-13-2008, 04:35 PM

Agreed. He's better than Chris Hope and the past couple of FS's we have had since Carnell Lake.

Smooth Criminal
02-13-2008, 05:41 PM
Our schedule next year is brutal. Every single team we play finished .500 or better other than Cincy and Baltimore and we know how dangerous these two teams can be.

terribletowel39
02-13-2008, 05:46 PM
Our schedule next year is brutal. Every single team we play finished .500 or better other than Cincy and Baltimore and we know how dangerous these two teams can be.
like time no see there Smooth. and i agree, i didn't know it was that bad until like a couple of days ago. doesn't look good but i think we are still a good team. we aren't in the realm of Indy and the Pats but i think we are on the 2nd tier of teams in the AFC. and just a few bounces our way and we can beat Indy and the Pats.

gunners2020
02-13-2008, 06:22 PM

Hey i was just throwing it out there, i like smith but i think he will make a much better strong safety, he is a great hitter, its just he steps up too much, and doesn't concentrate, as much as he should.
I only made the draft, to put something different out there. but even then you have to admit he made a mistake mouthing of about the pats, and paid the price in the game, if he can get passed Clark in camp,then I'm all for him. But if a great prospect like Phillips fell i think that i would look long and hard at him. especially if all the good tackles are of the board.

Mr. Stiller
02-13-2008, 06:25 PM
Hey i was just throwing it out there, i like smith but i think he will make a much better strong safety, he is a great hitter, its just he steps up too much, and doesn't concentrate, as much as he should.
I only made the draft, to put something different out there. but even then you have to admit he made a mistake mouthing of about the pats, and paid the price in the game, if he can get passed Clark in camp,then I'm all for him. But if a great prospect like Phillips fell i think that i would look long and hard at him. especially if all the good tackles are of the board.

Do you know the exact quote? He basically said "If we beat them in every aspect of the game, offense, defense and special teams, then Yeah I can guarantee a win."

You're looking at a kid that started 4 whole games prior to this season, and wondering why he's making mistakes. Inexperience. When you compare him to Ryan Clark who's started 40+ Games in his career, Yeah I'd expect him to make mistakes.

gunners2020
02-13-2008, 06:48 PM
Fair enough but next season will make or break him.

DeathbyStat
02-13-2008, 07:10 PM

I like it but I don't think red bryant will fall that far... or phillips for that matter...but I think I would grab phillips if he fell that far

TheWood56
02-13-2008, 09:38 PM
I agree with everyone who is still high on Smith. He has great potential and I think he can be a great player. All I think he needs is a little more experience and to play a little more disciplined, definately not less aggressive. I also think that Patriots BS with Smith is just that, BS. I actually don't even think he used the word guarantee, the media just decided to throw that in there for a headline. I remember reading this interview with Smith just after the season had finished, and Smith even said it himself, basically that he believed the Steelers could beat the Patriots if they played their A game, and that he never even said guarantee once.

Anyways, I'm still very high on Smith and think he has the potential to be a great player in this league. I don't think we need a safety at all, especially one who you'd bring in to try and win over the starting job. Polamalu, Clark, and Smith are a great saftey tandem IMO, and I don't really think Carter's such a bad #4 safety also, but he's definately not a starter that's for sure. He could most definately be upgraded without a doubt, though trying to upgrade your #4 safety position isn't necessarily a high priority on my list. But as I said, I think between Polamalu, Clark, and Smith, we're pretty much set, unless of course Smith has a horrible '08 season or something, though I'm very confident he'll learn from his mistakes and come out the other end as a better player.

i.want.troys.hair
02-14-2008, 09:17 AM
Anyone have any thoughts on Josh Morgan-WR, Virginia Tech?

6'1" 215, 4.46.

He's super strong and physical and can return punts and kick-offs, though he was somewhat overshadowed in doing this by teammate Eddie Royal.

I'm thinking of putting him as a 6th rounder, but would proably replace him with Darius Reynauld if its agreed that he can't cut it as a KR.

Thanks a lot!

mikehop05
02-14-2008, 12:26 PM
Anyone have any thoughts on Josh Morgan-WR, Virginia Tech?

6'1" 215, 4.46.

He's super strong and physical and can return punts and kick-offs, though he was somewhat overshadowed in doing this by teammate Eddie Royal.

I'm thinking of putting him as a 6th rounder, but would proably replace him with Darius Reynauld if its agreed that he can't cut it as a KR.

Thanks a lot!

im not too high on the kid, if ur looking for a returner / guy who may potentially be able to play some wr, then id ro reyaurd from wvu

Santonio10
02-14-2008, 02:06 PM
Anyone hear that mike mayok is comparing Early Doucet to Hines Ward? I saw it on NFL network last night. Personally i don't like mayok, he rates some way higher than they should be and some way lower than they should be. Anyway, i just thought it was interesting that he compared the two, and if he turned out as good as hines i would want him. too bad he's only 6 feet tall, or else i wouldn't mind getting the kid

terribletowel39
02-14-2008, 02:12 PM
its a pretty good comparison, both are the same size, 6 foot around 200 lbs. both are very willing blockers, both will go over the middle. Early is probably a bit faster than Ward, even back when Ward was younger. i've always said, i would mind him but i think he would basically justbe the same player if he develops like i believe he will.

Mr. Stiller
02-15-2008, 03:01 AM
Dream Offseason:

Sign:

Dontarrius Thomas, ILB, Minnesota
BJ Sams, RS, Baltimore

Trade our 1st for 1st-3rd-4th and 6th from the Giants
Trade our then 1st for 2nd and 3rd from NY Jets.

2a) Malcolm Kelly, WR, Oklahoma
2b) Brandon Flowers, CB, Virginia Tech
3a) Johnny Dingle, RDE, West Virginia
3b) Red Bryant, LDE/NT, Texas A&M
3c) John Greco, OT, Toledo
4a) D.J. Parker, FS, Virginia Tech
4b) Eric Young, OG, Tennessee
5) Kevin O'Connell, QB, San Diego State
6a) Tommy Blake, ROLB, TCU
6b) Rudolph Hardie, LOLB, Howard

DeathbyStat
02-15-2008, 07:15 AM
Anyone hear that mike mayok is comparing Early Doucet to Hines Ward? I saw it on NFL network last night. Personally i don't like mayok, he rates some way higher than they should be and some way lower than they should be. Anyway, i just thought it was interesting that he compared the two, and if he turned out as good as hines i would want him. too bad he's only 6 feet tall, or else i wouldn't mind getting the kid

The thing that really shocked me was when Mayock broke down tape of Matt Ryan and showed it in synch with Big Ben and it was uncanny.

But the difference is Ben is doing these things against Nfl competition.

Matt Ryan can't from an athletic stand point.

http://www.nfl.com/videos;jsessionid=4E0EEDCF7573FE2D456CF8067F911DE9 ?videoId=09000d5d806a38a9

CDub
02-15-2008, 01:23 PM
Just one question (actually it's a question that I've had since this thread was started) what's the difference between this thread and the main thread?

Considering that this whole site, and therefore the threads on this site, are dedicated to the NFL draft - every year -and the fact that 99% of the topics in this thread are the same as the ones discussed in the main thread, such as the '09 draft, the '08 schedule, peoples drunken posts, the future of players already on the team (who aren't up for FA this offseason), questioning the descicions of coordinators, randoms thought/opinions, etc.

Please keep in mind that this is not meant as a slight towards the thread starter or the people who have posted non '08 draft/offseason topics, it was just something that was on my mind as I read through both threads.

terribletowel39
02-15-2008, 01:28 PM
because the more threads the better, silly face.

seriously though, i couldn't tell ya why. seemed like everyone that had a mock was creating there own thread about there mock and then HWJR decided to make on that everyone just post in.

Hines
02-15-2008, 02:42 PM
I made this thread in order to put just one mock in one thread and not making a whole bunch of threads. This is for the offseason and draft. Other then that, you can make a thread or add to the main one. This thread is able to have everyone keep track of all the mocks that people post.

Hines
02-15-2008, 08:43 PM
http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/keenan-burton?id=202

Hines Ward clone? Basically a faster Hines who has a 43 inch vertical. He is my number 1 reciever now. Basically has it all but deep speed.

Mr. Stiller
02-15-2008, 09:16 PM
http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/keenan-burton?id=202

Hines Ward clone? Basically a faster Hines who has a 43 inch vertical. He is my number 1 reciever now. Basically has it all but deep speed.

A guy without any semblence of deep speed should not be a #1.

Hines
02-15-2008, 09:18 PM
Hines Ward doesnt have deep speed but hes a number 1.

Mr. Stiller
02-15-2008, 09:20 PM
Hines Ward doesnt have deep speed but hes a number 1.

Hines Ward was also better at finding holes in zones. He's more cerebral than Burton.

steelersfan27
02-15-2008, 10:19 PM
http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/branden-albert?id=660

i like this guy more and more every time i watch him or read about him.

Mr. Stiller
02-15-2008, 10:31 PM
http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/branden-albert?id=660

i like this guy more and more every time i watch him or read about him.

Wait until you see the mock my friend and I are designing together.

steelersfan27
02-15-2008, 10:35 PM
Wait until you see the mock my friend and I are designing together.

when will it be ready? im interested

Mr. Stiller
02-15-2008, 11:56 PM
when will it be ready? im interested

I'm typing up the reasoning.

I'll give you some info.

1) we address OL.. A lot.
2) We address Defense, very well.

3) We present a lot of UDFA Options.

4) We sign 3 UFA's. All mid-level and sufficient chance any of them could happen.

It's by far my most favorite mock I've done for this draft.

My Buddy Knows what he's talking about as well.

Mr. Stiller
02-16-2008, 01:47 AM
Poo and Mr. Stiller Bring to you:

"One Night in Mockville!"

We figure, as wise spenders, and not money throwers we take the normal route of action in free agency. We identify needs and possible mid-level FA's that fix those issues.

So we figured these guys could do:

***BJ Sams, Return Specialist, Formerly of the Baltimore Ravens

He provides little for the Corner he is listed at, but he's a consistent performer in the Punt Returning and Kick-Off Returning department. Somewhere we've struggled the past 3 years since Antwaan left. He's also a solid coverage guy.

***Dontarrius Thomas, ILB, Formerly of the Minnesota Vikings.

Thomas is big, fast, and great against the run. From what I read about him in snippets over the past 2 years was he was set to be the MLB of Vikings, but got injured this past year right before he was going to beat out EJ Henderson. Well I think he can replace Clint Kreidwalt and be a possible future replacement for Farrior. He was great against the run in college and he was even Faster than Timmons coming out (6'2 245lbs 4.57 40'). He's great at shedding blocks and finding the ballcarrier. He struggled in coverage bit coming out but I think with his year under Tomlin to be scrutinized I think we pick him up as a STer and future behind Farrior. That way we get a young future buck without wasting a draft pick.

***Randy Starks, DE/DT, Formerly of the Tennessee Titans

Starks is another mid-level signing. We add a ST Coverage, Depth at ILB, a KR/PR, and now a guy to challenge Keisel for the Starting RDE spot. Starks has experience at Maryland playing 3-4 DE. He's an extremely athletic DT/DE and could give us an added passrusher and younger depth. Making DE not a huge immediate need.

These are the only 2 guys we grabbed at this point. We have enough money to possibly add a 3rd and 4th if need be after the draft. But they should come fairly cheap (Sams off an injury and Thomas as a backup). I think we can score big with these guys...

April 29th approaches..

Suddenly it's our pick in the first round. Unfortunately for us. Chris Williams was taken by Houston @ 18 and DRC was drafted @ 19 by Philadelphia. Now at 23. Where do we turn? Well Giants call. They need a Linebacker with Kawika Mitchell Departing. They do like Dan Connor a lot. Well, after a pleasant phone conversation that leaves us at 1.31 with additional last picks per round in the 3rd, 4th and 6th.

1.31) Brandon Albert, LG/LT, Virginia ~ 6'7 315lbs 5.35

Brandon Albert is just too good to pass up. LT potential and the strength/speed to start immediately at the spot Faneca is vacating. Future LT and immediate LG fixed. He's a mauler in pass pro and run blocking.

2.23) Brandon Flowers, CB, Virginia Tech ~ 5'11 200lbs 4.43

Surprise Pick. Flowers is going to rise up but I still think that McKelvin, DRC and Jenkins go before him. Watch 1 game with Virginia tech and tell me that Flowers doesn't scream Steelers Corner. He's probably the closest thing to Mel Blount since Mel himself. He's physical, explosive, gives us an upgrade in the hands department of the secondary. He's great against the run and he can blitz the QB. He's probably going to be one of the better corners in the league.. perfect for Black and Gold.

3.23) Red Bryant, LDE/NT, Texas A&M ~ 6'5 325lbs 5.12

We need immediate depth on the strongside. Bryant can play NT in either scheme (3-4 or 4-3) but he possesses a rare athleticism that will allow him to play in the LDE Rotation as a rookie. He can contribute as a run stopper and ability to hold the point.

3.32) John Greco, OG/OT, Toledo ~ 6'5 320lbs 5.22

John Greco Could be compared to Justin Strelczyk. He can do it all. I think he could train at Center, but I have him pegged to take over RT in 2009. If not I think he could be the Jumbo Center that Zierlein would love. He has that bull strength that he could root out NT's and anchors very well with a initial hand punch (for the short set that Zierlein loves). He could literally play LT in stints, LG/RG/RT and I would like to see him trained at Center to be the future guy. Challenges Colon for RT as a rookie.

4.23) Eric Young, LG, Tennessee ~ 6'4 310lbs 5.10

Here's my red-shirted OL. Young was an excellent run and passblocker this season before a quadriceps injury dropped him. I think with Albert being the likely heir to Marvel Smiths position, Young can take a Redshirt year to heal and get into our system. Providing depth as a rookie to be the LG starter in 2009. Yes we've getting extremely young on the OL, but we're also getting exremely good. Albert, Young and Greco are well known for their run blocking, but they're also exceptional pass blockers as well. Re-asserting ourselves as one of the best smashmouth teams. I don't ever want to hear that we have to out Jax Jacksonville. I want to hear them continue to try and be us. Lets one up them.

4.32) D.J. Parker, FS/SS, Virginia Tech ~ 6'1 210lbs 4.45

DJ Parker could certainly go ahead of this. But I think he may be one of those draft day fallers. I have him pegged as a mid 4th right now. Parker is a quick ballhawking FS/SS type. He's a physical hitter like Anthony Smith and Brandon Flowers. He has his swagger as well.

5.23) Tommy Blake, ROLB, TCU ~ 6'3 260lbs 4.55 (Once Combine gets here he should be around this)

I think this will be the pick that gets the biggest criticism. I loved Tommy Blake last year and he was going to be a sure fire 1st rounder. He's extremely athletic, he's working and getting down to weight and I think with things to continue to progress, he's worth the risk. He doesn't make it, we took a risk on a 5th rounder without Character concerns that was originally a 1st. If he booms like we know he could, could be one of the biggest steals of the century.

6.23) Adrian Arrington, WR, Michigan ~ 6'3 200lbs 4.45

I don't understand why Arrington is rated so low. The kid has great potential, but he is very raw. At this point if he's around he's defeinitely worth the pick. He could be an explosive guy that might need a season to win the #3/#4 spot and could potentially make it up to the #2 WR on the roster.

6.32) Rudolph Hardie, LOLB, Howard ~ 6'3 270lbs 4.74

Hardie is a guy with excellent size and speed that could give depth behind Woodley. I don't like the depth at Linebacker. Frazier and Harrison struggle just playing ST's coverage and if anything was shown this year it's that our starters need to have a capable backup to give them breathers. Hardie is an excellent guy

UDFA:

Xavier Lee, QB, Florida State ~ 6'4 232lbs 4.62

Xavier is another guy that may draw criticism. I think Lee made the biggest mistake of his life going to FSU. He has pure potential, being the #1 Dual-Threat QB in his recruiting class and a 5-star recruit. I think he has the tools to be an exceptional QB and seeing the improvement that Ken Anderson made on Ben Roethlisberger, I wonder if he could continue to develop Lee.

Keon Lattimore, RB, Maryland ~ 5'11 220lbs 4.45

He runs with great pateince vision and power. He picks his spot and hits the hole with power. He knows how to finish a run and would be a great compliment to parker. Has nice size

Rafael Little, RB/WR/RS, Kentucky ~ 5'9 200lbs 4.40

Little could be our Darren Sproles. It's good to have a backup for KR/PR. If Sams can't go for Whatever reason, Little could be an exceptional guy to do it. I think Little could play some Slot Receiver if need be and would be a great RB to get the ball to in some space.

Rolly Lumbala, FB, Idaho ~ 6'1 255lbs 4.69

Lumbala to me looks like a more explosive and powerful Carey Davis. He can run the ball, catch the ball, and pack a wallop to open the hole. I think he could usurp the FB role as a rookie if given the chance and he gets the playbook.

Jabari Arthur, WR, Akron ~ 6'5 220lbs 4.57

Jabari Arthur to me resembles Limas Sweed. He's a big physical WR that can get some seperation, solid hands and is a very physical blocker. I want to see how he could do in our system.

Bruce Hocker, WR, Duquesne ~ 6'3 210lbs 4.48

Hocker is a very Raw Receiving prospect from our backyard. I think he'd love to take the 15-20 minute drive down the road to come get a shot in Pittsburgh. He could be an exceptional WR prospect once developed and might be worth taking even if not for immediate return.

Danny Amendola, WR/RS, Texas Tech ~ 5'11 190lbs 4.39

Danny Amendola is every bit a Welker clone as you can get. Same College, Same relative size/speed, same type of player (quick slot guy, solid hands, makes the catch even with a big hit, PR/KR, etc.). Certainly should be worth the look.

Darrell Blackman, KR, NC State ~ 5'11 205lbs 4.42

Blackman is a WR by title, but the kid is a ridiculous returnman. If you watch him return 1-2 Kickoffs you would swear it was a faster, more compact Najeh Davenport. He's patient, great vision, solid speed, and breaks arm tackles consistently. Only downside, he hasn't shown any progress other than a KR.

Matthew Mulligan, TE, Maine ~ 6'5 260lbs 4.78

Mulligan might as well be a mini-tackle. He runs solid short routes, and has exceptional hands, he's a guy at the TE Spot that locks on to a defender and doesn't let go. If he locks on.. it's likely that guy won't be causing any issues. Very impressive to say the least.

Bryan Robinson, DE, Wesley ~ 6'4 290lbs 4.95

Robinson has been a guy I've been pimping on and off this entire season. I know he's only a D3 DE.. But he's played DT/DE and with excellent size. I was talking to Poo about this kid and at any level this is impressive. In his college career as a DE.he's amassed.. a grand total of 332 Tackles, 96.5 TFL's, 48.5 Sacks

Jason Shirley, NT, Fresno State ~ 6'5 335lbs 4.96

Probably the last guy in this mock I will catch criticism for. I know Shirley has been dismissed from his team and has made some lude judgements. However, for a UDFA draft pick, he's too hard to pass up for me. This guy is near unblockable. Has rare athleticism. If he straightens up he could play NT or LDE in our scheme, whichever the decide between him and Bryant. Very tough tandem.

Hilee Taylor, ROLB, North Carolina ~ 6'3 242lbs 4.65

Hilee is a high motor Guy that had an exceptional senior season. 10.5 sacks from the DE position. He definitely has the speed and athleticism to be an exceptional ROLB. If Blake works out, we stash Taylor until Blake takes the lead role and either Harrison retires or moves to Buck. If Blake doesn't work out, He can be activated Immediately behind Harrison.

Anthony Hoke, RILB, Cincinnati ~ 6'2 235lbs 4.55

Hoke is an exceptional Athlete. I think if he shows enough he could beat out Foote for the backup ILB spot. He's certainly very good attackign the run and even better in coverage. He'd be a huge boost in the ST's coverage. I really dream of him and Timmons being the Nickel LB's.

Eric Foster, LILB, Rutgers ~ 6'1 265lbs 4.78

It doesn't get much better than Eric Foster for SILB. The guy can break any block, and makes a ton of plays in the backfield. It's not a completely new position as he played MLB in high school and his Fr/So. years in college. I think he gives us a guy to work slowly into the roster once he's comfortable with the coverages. He makes plays though. Would be a killer blitzer and would be one of the better run stuffers in the league. I think he could be a possible Levon Kirland like Jumbo ILB.

Joe Clermond, LOLB, Pittsburgh ~ 6'3 260lbs 4.88

Clermond has good size and the ability to get after the QB. He is a bit of a project but I feel he could drop into coverage and be a ST guy until he proves himself.

Zach Bowman, CB, Nebraska ~ 6'2 205lbs 4.45

Bowman is a guy I'd see how he recovers from the injury and see if he has that speed and talent that had him as one of the best corners in the draft. If he comes back from injury and with some coaching could be a killer corner.

Jack Ikegwuonu, CB, Wisconsin ~ 6'2 205lbs 4.41

Just like Bowman. Ike is too talented a guy to not try and get in UDFA. Putting him on IR/PUP as a rookie and let him heal, work with the team, in our scheme, he could be a version of Ike with Hands. If he recovers from his injury back to peak condition, amazing. If not, didn't cost much to sign.

Rodney Van, CB, UCLA ~ 5'11 185 4.41

I think Rodney Van is a guy that could contribute as a ST coverage guy and possibly down the road as a Dime CB. He makes good reads and jumps on the ball. Needs a bit of technical work but everytime i see him I'm very impressed.

Joe Fields, FS, Syracuse ~ 6'1 205lbs 4.45

This was a consensus pick. I love watching Fields play. He's big, strong, smart and fast. Great hands. He goes to the ball and just makes plays. I think he could be a solid FS if he catches on.

Derrick Doggett, SS, Oklahoma State ~ 6'2 210lbs 4.49

I like this pick because he hits like a ton of bricks. He's great in run support, can make a great ST player. Sifts through traffic and delivers a wallop. Great open field tackler. I think he'll stick.

Jakey
02-16-2008, 01:57 AM
First off...great mock! I would love it!

Secondly...can you please give breakdown of next years depth chart, i am particulaly interested in the O-Line (esp. RT).

Mr. Stiller
02-16-2008, 02:02 AM
First off...great mock! I would love it!

Secondly...can you please give breakdown of next years depth chart, i am particulaly interested in the O-Line (esp. RT).

2008:

Marvel Smith ~ Brandon Albert ~ Darnell Stapleton ~ Kendall Simmons ~ Willie Colon/John Greco
Trai Essex ~ Eric Young ~ Sean Mahan ~ Chris Kemoeatu ~ Loser

2009:

Brandon Albert ~ Eric Young ~ Stapleton/Greco ~ Simmons ~ Greco/Colon
Essex/rookie ~ Kemo/Rookie ~ Mahan/Loser ~ Kemo/Rookie ~ Loser/rookie

DeathbyStat
02-16-2008, 06:44 AM

We figure, as wise spenders, and not money throwers we take the normal route of action in free agency. We identify needs and possible mid-level FA's that fix those issues.

He provides little for the Corner he is listed at, but he's a consistent performer in the Punt Returning and Kick-Off Returning department. Somewhere we've struggled the past 3 years since Antwaan left. He's also a solid coverage guy.

Thomas is big, fast, and great against the run. From what I read about him in snippets over the past 2 years was he was set to be the MLB of Vikings, but got injured this past year right before he was going to beat out EJ Henderson. Well I think he can replace Clint Kreidwalt and be a possible future replacement for Farrior. He was great against the run in college and he was even Faster than Timmons coming out (6'2 245lbs 4.57 40'). He's great at shedding blocks and finding the ballcarrier. He struggled in coverage bit coming out but I think with his year under Tomlin to be scrutinized I think we pick him up as a STer and future behind Farrior. That way we get a young future buck without wasting a draft pick.

Starks is another mid-level signing. We add a ST Coverage, Depth at ILB, a KR/PR, and now a guy to challenge Keisel for the Starting RDE spot. Starks has experience at Maryland playing 3-4 DE. He's an extremely athletic DT/DE and could give us an added passrusher and younger depth. Making DE not a huge immediate need.

These are the only 2 guys we grabbed at this point. We have enough money to possibly add a 3rd and 4th if need be after the draft. But they should come fairly cheap (Sams off an injury and Thomas as a backup). I think we can score big with these guys...

April 29th approaches..

Suddenly it's our pick in the first round. Unfortunately for us. Chris Williams was taken by Houston @ 18 and DRC was drafted @ 19 by Philadelphia. Now at 23. Where do we turn? Well Giants call. They need a Linebacker with Kawika Mitchell Departing. They do like Dan Connor a lot. Well, after a pleasant phone conversation that leaves us at 1.31 with additional last picks per round in the 3rd, 4th and 6th.

Brandon Albert is just too good to pass up. LT potential and the strength/speed to start immediately at the spot Faneca is vacating. Future LT and immediate LG fixed. He's a mauler in pass pro and run blocking.

Surprise Pick. Flowers is going to rise up but I still think that McKelvin, DRC and Jenkins go before him. Watch 1 game with Virginia tech and tell me that Flowers doesn't scream Steelers Corner. He's probably the closest thing to Mel Blount since Mel himself. He's physical, explosive, gives us an upgrade in the hands department of the secondary. He's great against the run and he can blitz the QB. He's probably going to be one of the better corners in the league.. perfect for Black and Gold.

We need immediate depth on the strongside. Bryant can play NT in either scheme (3-4 or 4-3) but he possesses a rare athleticism that will allow him to play in the LDE Rotation as a rookie. He can contribute as a run stopper and ability to hold the point.

John Greco Could be compared to Justin Strelczyk. He can do it all. I think he could train at Center, but I have him pegged to take over RT in 2009. If not I think he could be the Jumbo Center that Zierlein would love. He has that bull strength that he could root out NT's and anchors very well with a initial hand punch (for the short set that Zierlein loves). He could literally play LT in stints, LG/RG/RT and I would like to see him trained at Center to be the future guy. Challenges Colon for RT as a rookie.

Here's my red-shirted OL. Young was an excellent run and passblocker this season before a quadriceps injury dropped him. I think with Albert being the likely heir to Marvel Smiths position, Young can take a Redshirt year to heal and get into our system. Providing depth as a rookie to be the LG starter in 2009. Yes we've getting extremely young on the OL, but we're also getting exremely good. Albert, Young and Greco are well known for their run blocking, but they're also exceptional pass blockers as well. Re-asserting ourselves as one of the best smashmouth teams. I don't ever want to hear that we have to out Jax Jacksonville. I want to hear them continue to try and be us. Lets one up them.

DJ Parker could certainly go ahead of this. But I think he may be one of those draft day fallers. I have him pegged as a mid 4th right now. Parker is a quick ballhawking FS/SS type. He's a physical hitter like Anthony Smith and Brandon Flowers. He has his swagger as well.

5.23) Tommy Blake, ROLB, TCU ~ 6'3 260lbs 4.55 (Once Combine gets here he should be around this)

I think this will be the pick that gets the biggest criticism. I loved Tommy Blake last year and he was going to be a sure fire 1st rounder. He's extremely athletic, he's working and getting down to weight and I think with things to continue to progress, he's worth the risk. He doesn't make it, we took a risk on a 5th rounder without Character concerns that was originally a 1st. If he booms like we know he could, could be one of the biggest steals of the century.

I don't understand why Arrington is rated so low. The kid has great potential, but he is very raw. At this point if he's around he's defeinitely worth the pick. He could be an explosive guy that might need a season to win the #3/#4 spot and could potentially make it up to the #2 WR on the roster.

Hardie is a guy with excellent size and speed that could give depth behind Woodley. I don't like the depth at Linebacker. Frazier and Harrison struggle just playing ST's coverage and if anything was shown this year it's that our starters need to have a capable backup to give them breathers. Hardie is an excellent guy

UDFA:

Xavier is another guy that may draw criticism. I think Lee made the biggest mistake of his life going to FSU. He has pure potential, being the #1 Dual-Threat QB in his recruiting class and a 5-star recruit. I think he has the tools to be an exceptional QB and seeing the improvement that Ken Anderson made on Ben Roethlisberger, I wonder if he could continue to develop Lee.

He runs with great pateince vision and power. He picks his spot and hits the hole with power. He knows how to finish a run and would be a great compliment to parker. Has nice size

Little could be our Darren Sproles. It's good to have a backup for KR/PR. If Sams can't go for Whatever reason, Little could be an exceptional guy to do it. I think Little could play some Slot Receiver if need be and would be a great RB to get the ball to in some space.

Lumbala to me looks like a more explosive and powerful Carey Davis. He can run the ball, catch the ball, and pack a wallop to open the hole. I think he could usurp the FB role as a rookie if given the chance and he gets the playbook.

Jabari Arthur to me resembles Limas Sweed. He's a big physical WR that can get some seperation, solid hands and is a very physical blocker. I want to see how he could do in our system.

Hocker is a very Raw Receiving prospect from our backyard. I think he'd love to take the 15-20 minute drive down the road to come get a shot in Pittsburgh. He could be an exceptional WR prospect once developed and might be worth taking even if not for immediate return.

Danny Amendola is every bit a Welker clone as you can get. Same College, Same relative size/speed, same type of player (quick slot guy, solid hands, makes the catch even with a big hit, PR/KR, etc.). Certainly should be worth the look.

Blackman is a WR by title, but the kid is a ridiculous returnman. If you watch him return 1-2 Kickoffs you would swear it was a faster, more compact Najeh Davenport. He's patient, great vision, solid speed, and breaks arm tackles consistently. Only downside, he hasn't shown any progress other than a KR.

Mulligan might as well be a mini-tackle. He runs solid short routes, and has exceptional hands, he's a guy at the TE Spot that locks on to a defender and doesn't let go. If he locks on.. it's likely that guy won't be causing any issues. Very impressive to say the least.

Robinson has been a guy I've been pimping on and off this entire season. I know he's only a D3 DE.. But he's played DT/DE and with excellent size. I was talking to Poo about this kid and at any level this is impressive. In his college career as a DE.he's amassed.. a grand total of 332 Tackles, 96.5 TFL's, 48.5 Sacks

Probably the last guy in this mock I will catch criticism for. I know Shirley has been dismissed from his team and has made some lude judgements. However, for a UDFA draft pick, he's too hard to pass up for me. This guy is near unblockable. Has rare athleticism. If he straightens up he could play NT or LDE in our scheme, whichever the decide between him and Bryant. Very tough tandem.

Hilee is a high motor Guy that had an exceptional senior season. 10.5 sacks from the DE position. He definitely has the speed and athleticism to be an exceptional ROLB. If Blake works out, we stash Taylor until Blake takes the lead role and either Harrison retires or moves to Buck. If Blake doesn't work out, He can be activated Immediately behind Harrison.

Hoke is an exceptional Athlete. I think if he shows enough he could beat out Foote for the backup ILB spot. He's certainly very good attackign the run and even better in coverage. He'd be a huge boost in the ST's coverage. I really dream of him and Timmons being the Nickel LB's.

It doesn't get much better than Eric Foster for SILB. The guy can break any block, and makes a ton of plays in the backfield. It's not a completely new position as he played MLB in high school and his Fr/So. years in college. I think he gives us a guy to work slowly into the roster once he's comfortable with the coverages. He makes plays though. Would be a killer blitzer and would be one of the better run stuffers in the league. I think he could be a possible Levon Kirland like Jumbo ILB.

Clermond has good size and the ability to get after the QB. He is a bit of a project but I feel he could drop into coverage and be a ST guy until he proves himself.

Bowman is a guy I'd see how he recovers from the injury and see if he has that speed and talent that had him as one of the best corners in the draft. If he comes back from injury and with some coaching could be a killer corner.

Just like Bowman. Ike is too talented a guy to not try and get in UDFA. Putting him on IR/PUP as a rookie and let him heal, work with the team, in our scheme, he could be a version of Ike with Hands. If he recovers from his injury back to peak condition, amazing. If not, didn't cost much to sign.

I think Rodney Van is a guy that could contribute as a ST coverage guy and possibly down the road as a Dime CB. He makes good reads and jumps on the ball. Needs a bit of technical work but everytime i see him I'm very impressed.

This was a consensus pick. I love watching Fields play. He's big, strong, smart and fast. Great hands. He goes to the ball and just makes plays. I think he could be a solid FS if he catches on.

I like this pick because he hits like a ton of bricks. He's great in run support, can make a great ST player. Sifts through traffic and delivers a wallop. Great open field tackler. I think he'll stick.

Really Good Mock but as I usually feel, I don't think we will make that kind of impact in free agency, even though that isn't a masssive dent you describe...its smart and semi frugal.

Hines
02-16-2008, 09:22 AM
Good mock, but I may not be a smart man, but I think Lee transfered to a different school like Bobby Reid did.

steelersfan27
02-16-2008, 10:42 AM
wow. that is probably the best mock i have seen this year. nice work

Santonio10
02-16-2008, 12:10 PM
Awesome mock. If we could get Ikegwuonu as an UDFA it would be amazing. The guy is REALLY good. I would love to have him. Didn't he hurt both of his knees or something?

Mr. Stiller
02-16-2008, 03:17 PM
Really Good Mock but as I usually feel, I don't think we will make that kind of impact in free agency, even though that isn't a masssive dent you describe...its smart and semi frugal.

Impact? We're signing 2 backups and 1 guy returning from injury. I wouldn't call that impact per-se. Thats our typical style of signings (Cedrick Wilson, Rodney Bailey, Ryan Clark etc.)

I don't think those 3 combined would cost more than 4-5M against our 15M in free cap.

It also doesn't constrain us.. which is a big thing with Colbert, he hates being painted into a corner. With a DL, ILB and RS that will open things up largely.

Mr. Stiller
02-16-2008, 10:24 PM
Good mock, but I may not be a smart man, but I think Lee transfered to a different school like Bobby Reid did.

Nope. Bobby Reid transferred, Xavier just left for the NFL.

wow. that is probably the best mock i have seen this year. nice work

Thank you

Awesome mock. If we could get Ikegwuonu as an UDFA it would be amazing. The guy is REALLY good. I would love to have him. Didn't he hurt both of his knees or something?

he tore 2 ligaments in 1 knee.

Mr. Stiller
02-17-2008, 02:06 AM
Huh? WTF does that mean?

Finally I saw it and remembered this post....

Timmons/Wood here:

Porn Princess:

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i251/Bantx/Random/Untitled-2.png

TheWood56
02-17-2008, 05:02 AM
Finally I saw it and remembered this post....

Timmons/Wood here:

Porn Princess:

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i251/Bantx/Random/Untitled-2.png

LOL

Some Ravens fan has that as his sig I think. So yeah, I've seen that heaps of times around here. I was just always like "WTF is that sig?"

So who's that again? Hines?

Jakey
02-17-2008, 05:43 AM
Quick Mock - No Trades

1: Branden Albert - OG/OT - Virgina
2: Brandon Flowers - CB - Virginia Tech
3: Adarius Bowman - WR - Oklahoma State
4: Letroy Guion - DE - Florida State
5: Chase Ortiz - OLB - TCU
6: Barry Richardson - OT - Clemson

Depth Chart

QB: Ben Roethlisberger - Charlie Batch - Jared Zebransky
FB: Carey Davis
RB: Willie Parker - Gary Russell - Najeh Davenport
TE: Heath Miller - Matt Spaeth
WR: Hines Ward - Adaruius Bowman - Dallas Baker
WR: Santonio Holmes - Nate Washington - Cedrick Wilson

LT: Marvel Smith - Trai Essex - Jason Capizzi
LG: Branden Albert - Kendall Simmons - Sean Mahan
C: Willie Colon - Darnell Stapleton - Sean Mahan
RG: Chris Kemoeatu - Kendall Simmons - Sean Mahan
RT: Max Starks - Barry Richardson - Jason Capizzi

RE: Ryan McBean - Brett Keisel
NT: Casey Hampton - Chris Hoke
LE: Aaron Smith - Letroy Guion

ROLB: James Harrison - Chase Ortiz
RILB: Lawrence Timmons - Larry Foote
LILB: James Farrior - Larry Foote
LOLB: Lamarr Woodley - Chase Ortiz

CB: Ike Taylor - Deshea Townend - Wiliam G
CB: Bryant McFadden - Brandon Flowers - William G

FS: Anthony Smith - Ryan Clark
SS: Troy Polamalu - Tyrone Carter

Mr. Stiller
02-17-2008, 10:39 AM
LOL

Some Ravens fan has that as his sig I think. So yeah, I've seen that heaps of times around here. I was just always like "WTF is that sig?"

So who's that again? Hines?

Yepper........

Santonio10
02-17-2008, 01:21 PM
Nope. Bobby Reid transferred, Xavier just left for the NFL.

Thank you

he tore 2 ligaments in 1 knee.

So you think that because he tore two ligaments hes not gonna get drafted? I mean he has a lot of talent so someone might take a shot at him kinda like the chargers did on Cromartie. I mean he turned out to be pretty good lol.

DeathbyStat
02-17-2008, 06:15 PM
So you think that because he tore two ligaments hes not gonna get drafted? I mean he has a lot of talent so someone might take a shot at him kinda like the chargers did on Cromartie. I mean he turned out to be pretty good lol.

But Cromartie had superior speed to Ike before he blew out his knee.

Cromartie is much better both pre and post injury.

Mr. Stiller
02-17-2008, 07:04 PM
But Cromartie had superior speed to Ike before he blew out his knee.

Cromartie is much better both pre and post injury.

Agreed. Cromartie was just an awe-inspiring physical speciman. 6'3 215lbs 4.3 speed.

Cromartie also missed the season, but was ready to play as a rookie.

Ike played the season, injured for the combine and likely won't see the field as a rookie.

Hines
02-17-2008, 07:08 PM
I read that Deshaun Foster is going to be cut or traded. If he was actually healthy, I would beg the FO to pick him up. He has been decent the past two years, so if he can stay healthy, I doubt it though, he could be a decent pick up.

steel man
02-17-2008, 11:50 PM
would Jerry Porter be worth picking up....he is a big fast WR and being from WVU and closer to home he might would have a better attitude, if not then what about Wilford, he is big or my fav. out of these 3 would be Bryant Johnson, what do you guys think that way we can save our draft pick to help somewhere else. IMO Matt Trannon will be a good pick up, last year i had him in my mock as a late rd. steal so i am glad to pick him up so we can see what he can do, but having said that picking up one of the 3 above would be picking up a WR that has proved they can make it, instead of waiting to see what a unproven guy can do

steel man
02-17-2008, 11:55 PM
I read that Deshaun Foster is going to be cut or traded. If he was actually healthy, I would beg the FO to pick him up. He has been decent the past two years, so if he can stay healthy, I doubt it though, he could be a decent pick up.

would one of these be a better pick up than Foster.....D.Ward, J.Chatman, or C.Brown ?

Mr. Stiller
02-18-2008, 12:06 AM
would one of these be a better pick up than Foster.....D.Ward, J.Chatman, or C.Brown ?

I don't think a RB should be a FA need.

brat316
02-18-2008, 02:18 AM
Rb is a draft thing, thats wat i think u can pick up one if FA, but i would rather go draft for that compliment back we are look for like Matt Forte.

FA wr that I think we can get is Bryant Johnson, he is someone we don't have to break the bank for another Ced Wilson money wise, might have more potential than Wilson since he has never had a chance to start. And is stuck behind to really good players.

TheWood56
02-18-2008, 05:27 AM
Rb is a draft thing, thats wat i think u can pick up one if FA, but i would rather go draft for that compliment back we are look for like Matt Forte.

FA wr that I think we can get is Bryant Johnson, he is someone we don't have to break the bank for another Ced Wilson money wise, might have more potential than Wilson since he has never had a chance to start. And is stuck behind to really good players.

I'd also like to pick up Bryant Johnson, though I don't think he'll be as cheap as you think he'll be. I think he'll demand some serious coinage, obviosuly not break the bank type money, but a hefty amount none the less. I don't think he'll be an easy pick up. I think a few teams will be after his services, and who knows, he may be after a starting role, and I'm sure a few teams out there could basically guarantee him that, and we're certainly not one of them.

I'd also be interested in both Ernest Wilford and Jerry Porter, actually, very interested.

Jakey
02-18-2008, 08:12 AM
What do you guys tink of Brandon Keith the OT out of Northern Iowa??? He is a load, and he has pretty good athletisism.

DeathbyStat
02-18-2008, 08:10 PM
Mohamed was realeased by the Bears could we get him for cheap?

Its still probly not a good idea because he is too old...but he would be a tall wide out.

OWW wait he is only 6'2 I thought he was 6'5 well never mind.

Jakey
02-19-2008, 12:03 PM
We have resigned Travis Kirchke...why o' why???

DeathbyStat
02-19-2008, 12:14 PM

Wow that sucks...how old is he?

What do you guys think of Eric Wicks? he wasn't invited to the combine so he could go under people's radar.

mikehop05
02-19-2008, 01:37 PM

im not unhappy with the move, it was only for about 2 mil, and hes a decent backup who knows our system

steelersfan27
02-19-2008, 04:55 PM
as long as eason is not back i will be satisfied. after all, i thought he did good job in our last game against jax.

Hines
02-19-2008, 06:46 PM
I read that DeAngelo Hall is being dangled in a trade. We should trade our first rounder to the Falcons for him. Yes, his contract will be worth a lot, but he is only 24 and getting better every year.

DeathbyStat
02-19-2008, 09:44 PM

Deuce Staley part Deux

DeathbyStat
02-19-2008, 09:44 PM
I read that DeAngelo Hall is being dangled in a trade. We should trade our first rounder to the Falcons for him. Yes, his contract will be worth a lot, but he is only 24 and getting better every year.

Very unlikely and we don't need him

mikehop05
02-19-2008, 09:45 PM

i dont like building via trades, i think its better through the draft

gunners2020
02-19-2008, 09:46 PM

April 29th approaches..

UDFA:

Never gonna happen in a million years. the steelers will stad pat. i think albert is the pick in the first.
1 oline followed by 1 d- line then best Pa
TBA I've looked at your mocks in the past Mr stiller and they have been way off base. unless some one like clady falls the steelers will not trade end of

DeathbyStat
02-19-2008, 09:55 PM
Never gonna happen in a million years. the steelers will stad pat. i think albert is the pick in the first.
TBA I've looked at your mocks in the past Mr stiller and they have been way off base. unless some one like clady falls the steelers will not trade end of

Albert.....or one of the many talented tackles....Cherilus, Williams, Otah, Baker

gunners2020
02-19-2008, 10:05 PM
Do you think albert has more LT potention than Otah, cus i've strated watching tape on him and i think he could be the best left tackle in the draft aprt from long. if not he could def be Fanica's replacement at least. i think he is better than Grubbs and Blalock last year

TheWood56
02-19-2008, 10:11 PM
Man I'm starting to think Albert's gonna climb his way into the top 20. He's getting so much public attention now it seems, and I just think come draft day, he'll be off the board by the time we select unfortunately. He's a guy I've really taken a liking to the past few weeks aswell.

gunners2020
02-19-2008, 10:27 PM
If Albert rises then i think we will get Otah so its win win, However if Otah And Albert are of the board when we pick then it get iterestibf :D

Mr. Stiller
02-19-2008, 11:06 PM

I didn't realize we had the almighty know it all guru.

I'm sorry you don't think any of my mocks are realistic. It's not completely insane to think we could trade down.

The way Alberts stock is rising, he probably won't even be around at 20. Add to the fact that I have yet to see him be completely dominant inline. I've seen him solid on the move and pulling, but I have yet to see him completely dominate while anchoring, and he doesn't maul the way his size should say.

But you're correct, any time I decide to make a mock I will ask you for everything that WILL Happen so that way we all understand that you know everything.

Thank you.

You mock my picks, yet you want a FS, in the first... ? Likely the one position of very few we don't need to work on?

And then a terrible LT in the 2nd?

Please, please, don't call the Kettle black Mr. Pot.

Mr. Stiller
02-19-2008, 11:46 PM
Anywho.. this is the new mock

I think there is valid reasoning that a player could fall that NYG's are willing to send their 1st, 3rd, 4th and 6th round picks to use for. Whether it be Keith Rivers, Dan Connor, or Kenny Phillips.

I'm assuming that we sign 3 guys in UFA:

BJ Sams (Return Man/ST's Coverage), Dontarrius Thomas (LILB - 2 year deal), Randy Starks (DE - 3 year deal).

1) Jeff Otah, OT, Pittsburgh ~ 6'6 340lbs

I want a physical Mauler at OT. I think with a 10lb-15lb weightloss, and some refined technique work with Zierlein Otah has the potential to get into the Walter Jones category of OT's. The potential and strength are there. He struggled a tad with speed rushers, but at the same time, Though I think the weight loss and technique/footwork will make a world of difference.

2) Brandon Flowers, CB, Virginia Tech ~ 5'11 200lbs

I haven't seen this physical of a CB since Mel Blount. He's got the explosion and hitting ability to make WR's fear catching over him.

3a) Red Bryant, LDE/NT, Texas A&M ~ 6'5 325lbs

Bryant is a physical specimen. Starks and Keisel can man the weakside, Bryant can contribute immediately as a Strongside DE. He's already a very talented run stopper, and with some work with John Mitchell he could get his passrushing down to be a terror on the strongside. Also he could give Snack a breather in Nickel/Dime 4 DL alignments, as he slides to nosetackle, leaving Smith/Keisel at DE and Hoke at 3-Tech.

3b) Eric Young, OG, Tennessee ~ 6'4 310lbs

Eric Young is a punishing inline blocker. Jarring hand punch and excellent drive blocker. Has the frame to add about 10 lbs and possesses excellent Anchor.

4a) Tashard Choice, RB, Georgia Tech ~ 5'11 215lbs

Choice is one of the most compact and physical runners in this draft. He lacks the true breakaway speed, but is quick, agile and physical. He can run north-south, runs excellent routes and possesses good hands. He's a solid blocker and could be in essence our Marion Barber III.

4b) Jacob Tamme, TE/WR, Kansas ~ 6'4 235lbs

Tamme Possesses solid WR Like speed, excellent hands and WR Route running ability. We need a future #1 to pair with Holmes and I think Tamme would be perfect. I don't think he'll make a good TE as his best asset, speed, would be negated. He could start as the #3/#4 WR and train, get in a solid weight (225-230 range) and be Bens Favorite target. He's not a physically imposing blocker as a WR, but he would be one of the better WR blockers in the draft. Also contributes to ST's as he's blocked quite a few kicks in College. Before you bash this pick, realize that I'm expecting a pure WR, not using a pick on a TE!!!!!!!!!

5) Peyton Hillis, FB/HBack, Arkansas ~ 6'0 245lbs

Peyton Hillis is just a physical all around Back. It's hard to find fault. Athletic enough to return kicks.. He can provide depth at RB, start at FB, backup the KR/PR, and play ST's coverage, AND be the single back for short yardage situations. Again, only getting us more physical.

6a) Fernando Velasco, C/OG, Georgia ~ 6'3 320lbs

I'll preface this explanation with: "Mahan is garbage". Eh, he's solid depth and provides depth at 3 positions, but I don't think that such a weak link should be allowed to continue to create problems. Darnell Stapleton could change the coaches opinions for this pick. Velasco is another powerful puncher and with his strength and drive would give us one of the most dominat LT/LG/C Combos in the league. He can Chalenge Stapleton for Center as a rookie. He's solid at getting to the next level.

6b) Rudolph Hardie, OLB, Howard ~ 6'3 270lbs

Physical and extremely quick off the snap DE. We have no depth at OLB, Hardie could provide depth outside both spots as a rookie and be a 2nd DE in Nickel/Dime Sets.

UDFA:

Xavier Lee, QB, Florida State ~ 6'4 232lbs
Lee is extremely athletic. Poor coaching at FSU Couldn't develop him, could Ken Anderson? If Not he could move to WR/TE.

Rodney Kinlaw, RB, Penn State ~ 5'9 200lbs
Kinlaw isn't fitting my physical theme, but you can't be one dimensional. Though he lacks a breakaway speed, he's quick, sneaky, hard to tackle and can squeeze through those small lanes. He's actually pretty physical for his size. Also provides a KR threat.

Matthew Mulligan, TE, Maine ~ 6'5 262lbs
I added Tamme, but like I said, he's being utilized as a pure WR. Mulligan might as well be a small tackle. He doesn't possess great speed. Adequate short yardage receiver, but is a very physical blocker. He gets on his DE/LB and puts him down.

Jesse Padilla, LT, Lafeyette ~ 6'5 320lbs
This one I have read good things, but I havent' seen him.

Andrew Bain, G/C, Miami ~ 6'3 325lbs
Bain is a very agile, athletic LG that I think would make a good center project. Even with Velasco, if Bain progresses, we could get rid of Mahan and solidify depth.

Marcus Dixon, LDE, Hampton ~ 6'4 298lbs
I actually think Dixon is a better 3-4 DE than his counterpart Langford. Dixon had spent time in jail for statutory rape for having consensual sex with a 15 year old when he was 18. It was said the reason he was found guilty was because he's black and the girl was white. 4 years later, I'm willing to give him a shot, especially as a DE. He's already better against the run. He's a solid passrusher, could play WDE or SDE. Give him a year on the PS.

Teraz McCray, NT, Miami ~ 6'0 298lbs
I think McCray compares to Hoke more than Hampton, but I think about 10-15 more lbs I think he'd be a crossbreed. I think his penetrating ability will be welcome on Nickel/Dime sets and his athleticism/strength could be utilized as a NT in the base set, or as a 3 tech in a 2 DL set, if we decide to be that exotic.

Bruno Dorismond, DE, Maine ~ 6'5 290lbs
Dorismond is a pretty raw project. Blessed with amazing athleticism and natural size, his strength is top notch, but his understanding of the game is still raw and could develop into an excellent DE in 2-3 years.

Rob Jackson, LOLB, Kansas State ~ 6'4 266lbs
Physical and explosive OLB that needs some more passrushing moves and a little more work in the weight room. With some experience could be an excellent depth player.

Rodrick Johnson, LILB, Oklahoma State ~ 6'3 255lbs
I watched the Texas V. Nation game quite a bit, I never seemed to focus in on this guy. Chip pointed him out and I agree. His exact words were "He's a physical LB that reminds me of James Harrison". I agree. The kid is just hard hitting and makes plays.

Anthony Hoke, RILB, Cincinnati ~ 6'1 234lbs
Hoke is a guy that I love. He's excellent on special teams coverage and he plays well in coverage. If Foote gets cut/when he leaves, Hoke will be an excellent Mack backup and should provide as an excellent Nickel LB next to Timmons.

Hilee Taylor, ROLB, North Carolina ~ 6'3 242lbs
Taylor is undersized for a DE, but with his excellent athleticism and agility could possibly develop into Harrisons successor. He's labled as a big play guy for making numerous critical big plays at much needed times. 10.5 sacks this past season, he could be a ST contributor as he learns behind Harrison. If he gets anything from Harrison, physical instincts or attitude, could be a beast.

RoShaun Fellows, CB, Tennessee ~ 6'1 205lbs
Fellows was an extremely gifted freshman, with a solid sophmore season. He slumped as his career went on, before ultimately being dismissed from Tennessee. I don't know why he was, but I remember watching him as a freshman in awe, the kid was amazing. I think with some coaching he could be an excellent CB/FS again.

Derrick Doggett, SS, Oregon State ~ 6'2 208lbs
Explosive and physical WLB that just doesn't have the size to play LB in the pro's. Likely a 1 year PS product to take tyrone Carters spot as a Sophmore.

Matthew Slater, KR, UCLA ~ 6'1 200lbs
Slater returned 3 kicks for Td's this season and averaged 30.9 yards per Kick return. I'm curious if he can do PR's. If not we still get an excellent kick returner.

brat316
02-19-2008, 11:54 PM
you think Oath is going to fall 2 32, i know value wise the picks work out, but realisticly what team gives up two picks in a row, i see them giving up their 1,3,5 or 6

Mr. Stiller
02-19-2008, 11:55 PM
you think Oath is going to fall 2 32, i know value wise the picks work out, but realisticly what team gives up two picks in a row, i see them giving up their 1,3,5 or 6

It's the identical trade that we did with the giants in 2006 for Santonio Holmes.

They're moving from 32 to 23, we moved from 32 to 25. The extra 6th offsets that.

TheWood56
02-20-2008, 12:21 AM
I could certainly live with that Stiller. If Albert was there in the 1st though, which I'm really doubting he will be now, I'd take him over Otah. Otah's certainly not a bad pick though, and I'd actually be pretty surprised if he was still on the board at #32.

Also, as much as I love Flowers, there's just no way I can see him falling to our selection in the 2nd round. I'm willing to guarantee that he'll be drafted in the 1st round, somewhere towards the back 3rd IMO. It's very unfortuante aswell because he's one of my favorite Steelers prospects without a doubt, and out of all the CB's in the draft, I think he'd fit the Steelers and their defense the best. I just love the way he plays the game and just think he'd be a perfect fit for the Steelers and their defense.

Also, do you think both Bryant and Young will fall all the way to the bottom of the 3rd? If they did, they'd be great value there IMO and I'd be pretty stoked if we could land one of those guys that late in the 3rd.

Anyways, after questioning your first 4 picks in one way or another, I actually like the mock. Nice work once again.

brat316
02-20-2008, 12:24 AM
Only things for Flowers is i think is that he is physical and that, but can he play man to man. I think he might get burned a lot, he doesn't have that speed, might be a good cover 2 player.

TheWood56
02-20-2008, 12:33 AM
Only things for Flowers is i think is that he is physical and that, but can he play man to man. I think he might get burned a lot, he doesn't have that speed, might be a good cover 2 player.

I think he's a beast. I'd love to see him in the black and gold.

Mr. Stiller
02-20-2008, 12:43 AM

1) I don't get why he's being called slow.. He'll probably run a 4.40-4.45.

2) As for playing man2man, he can do it, but how often do we actually play man? We usually harbor on a cover 2, cover 3 or Cover 4 variation.

3) He has plenty of speed and I have never ever see him get burned.

TheWood56
02-20-2008, 12:49 AM
I don't really think speeds everything when it comes to getting burned. I've seen Deangelo Hall get banned plenty of times and he's suppose to be fast as, well he is actually, but that hasn't stopped him from getting burnt in the past.

Also, I don't think Flowers is that slow, I'd say he's just average, but thing is he's got that physicality and has some decent hands to go with it.

Man I love Flowers. Lets make a petition to draft him.

brat316
02-20-2008, 12:54 AM
Well his 40 time is suppose to be around 4.47 to high 4.53. I love the physical part, height is only conern, can he cover those bigger physical WR the taller ones mostly. But he can be a good nickle if McFadden steps up, then Flowers would be a good pick.

gunners2020
02-20-2008, 07:17 AM
I didn't realize we had the almighty know it all guru.

I'm sorry you don't think any of my mocks are realistic. It's not completely insane to think we could trade down.

The way Alberts stock is rising, he probably won't even be around at 20. Add to the fact that I have yet to see him be completely dominant inline. I've seen him solid on the move and pulling, but I have yet to see him completely dominate while anchoring, and he doesn't maul the way his size should say.

But you're correct, any time I decide to make a mock I will ask you for everything that WILL Happen so that way we all understand that you know everything.

Thank you.

You mock my picks, yet you want a FS, in the first... ? Likely the one position of very few we don't need to work on?

And then a terrible LT in the 2nd?

Please, please, don't call the Kettle black Mr. Pot.

I'm sorry that you have a poor opinion of my mock but, all i did was throw out somthing different out there, phillips would be a quality addition to the team, and i think your underestmating collins, the reason i picked him is because i think that at least 6 OT will be taken b4 our pick in the 2nd. TBH all i tried to do was put out a realistic situatation that could be a possibility, face it your mock would never happen, just like i doubt mine would, but please don't discount the fact that we could go FS in the first, anythig can happen on draft day.

DeathbyStat
02-20-2008, 08:06 AM
Anywho.. this is the new mock

I think there is valid reasoning that a player could fall that NYG's are willing to send their 1st, 3rd, 4th and 6th round picks to use for. Whether it be Keith Rivers, Dan Connor, or Kenny Phillips.

I'm assuming that we sign 3 guys in UFA:

BJ Sams (Return Man/ST's Coverage), Dontarrius Thomas (LILB - 2 year deal), Randy Starks (DE - 3 year deal).

1) Jeff Otah, OT, Pittsburgh ~ 6'6 340lbs

I want a physical Mauler at OT. I think with a 10lb-15lb weightloss, and some refined technique work with Zierlein Otah has the potential to get into the Walter Jones category of OT's. The potential and strength are there. He struggled a tad with speed rushers, but at the same time, Though I think the weight loss and technique/footwork will make a world of difference.

2) Brandon Flowers, CB, Virginia Tech ~ 5'11 200lbs

I haven't seen this physical of a CB since Mel Blount. He's got the explosion and hitting ability to make WR's fear catching over him.

3a) Red Bryant, LDE/NT, Texas A&M ~ 6'5 325lbs

Bryant is a physical specimen. Starks and Keisel can man the weakside, Bryant can contribute immediately as a Strongside DE. He's already a very talented run stopper, and with some work with John Mitchell he could get his passrushing down to be a terror on the strongside. Also he could give Snack a breather in Nickel/Dime 4 DL alignments, as he slides to nosetackle, leaving Smith/Keisel at DE and Hoke at 3-Tech.

3b) Eric Young, OG, Tennessee ~ 6'4 310lbs

Eric Young is a punishing inline blocker. Jarring hand punch and excellent drive blocker. Has the frame to add about 10 lbs and possesses excellent Anchor.

4a) Tashard Choice, RB, Georgia Tech ~ 5'11 215lbs

Choice is one of the most compact and physical runners in this draft. He lacks the true breakaway speed, but is quick, agile and physical. He can run north-south, runs excellent routes and possesses good hands. He's a solid blocker and could be in essence our Marion Barber III.

4b) Jacob Tamme, TE/WR, Kansas ~ 6'4 235lbs

Tamme Possesses solid WR Like speed, excellent hands and WR Route running ability. We need a future #1 to pair with Holmes and I think Tamme would be perfect. I don't think he'll make a good TE as his best asset, speed, would be negated. He could start as the #3/#4 WR and train, get in a solid weight (225-230 range) and be Bens Favorite target. He's not a physically imposing blocker as a WR, but he would be one of the better WR blockers in the draft. Also contributes to ST's as he's blocked quite a few kicks in College. Before you bash this pick, realize that I'm expecting a pure WR, not using a pick on a TE!!!!!!!!!

5) Peyton Hillis, FB/HBack, Arkansas ~ 6'0 245lbs

Peyton Hillis is just a physical all around Back. It's hard to find fault. Athletic enough to return kicks.. He can provide depth at RB, start at FB, backup the KR/PR, and play ST's coverage, AND be the single back for short yardage situations. Again, only getting us more physical.

6a) Fernando Velasco, C/OG, Georgia ~ 6'3 320lbs

I'll preface this explanation with: "Mahan is garbage". Eh, he's solid depth and provides depth at 3 positions, but I don't think that such a weak link should be allowed to continue to create problems. Darnell Stapleton could change the coaches opinions for this pick. Velasco is another powerful puncher and with his strength and drive would give us one of the most dominat LT/LG/C Combos in the league. He can Chalenge Stapleton for Center as a rookie. He's solid at getting to the next level.

6b) Rudolph Hardie, OLB, Howard ~ 6'3 270lbs

Physical and extremely quick off the snap DE. We have no depth at OLB, Hardie could provide depth outside both spots as a rookie and be a 2nd DE in Nickel/Dime Sets.

UDFA:

Xavier Lee, QB, Florida State ~ 6'4 232lbs
Lee is extremely athletic. Poor coaching at FSU Couldn't develop him, could Ken Anderson? If Not he could move to WR/TE.

Rodney Kinlaw, RB, Penn State ~ 5'9 200lbs
Kinlaw isn't fitting my physical theme, but you can't be one dimensional. Though he lacks a breakaway speed, he's quick, sneaky, hard to tackle and can squeeze through those small lanes. He's actually pretty physical for his size. Also provides a KR threat.

Matthew Mulligan, TE, Maine ~ 6'5 262lbs
I added Tamme, but like I said, he's being utilized as a pure WR. Mulligan might as well be a small tackle. He doesn't possess great speed. Adequate short yardage receiver, but is a very physical blocker. He gets on his DE/LB and puts him down.

Jesse Padilla, LT, Lafeyette ~ 6'5 320lbs
This one I have read good things, but I havent' seen him.

Andrew Bain, G/C, Miami ~ 6'3 325lbs
Bain is a very agile, athletic LG that I think would make a good center project. Even with Velasco, if Bain progresses, we could get rid of Mahan and solidify depth.

Marcus Dixon, LDE, Hampton ~ 6'4 298lbs
I actually think Dixon is a better 3-4 DE than his counterpart Langford. Dixon had spent time in jail for statutory rape for having consensual sex with a 15 year old when he was 18. It was said the reason he was found guilty was because he's black and the girl was white. 4 years later, I'm willing to give him a shot, especially as a DE. He's already better against the run. He's a solid passrusher, could play WDE or SDE. Give him a year on the PS.

Teraz McCray, NT, Miami ~ 6'0 298lbs
I think McCray compares to Hoke more than Hampton, but I think about 10-15 more lbs I think he'd be a crossbreed. I think his penetrating ability will be welcome on Nickel/Dime sets and his athleticism/strength could be utilized as a NT in the base set, or as a 3 tech in a 2 DL set, if we decide to be that exotic.

Bruno Dorismond, DE, Maine ~ 6'5 290lbs
Dorismond is a pretty raw project. Blessed with amazing athleticism and natural size, his strength is top notch, but his understanding of the game is still raw and could develop into an excellent DE in 2-3 years.

Rob Jackson, LOLB, Kansas State ~ 6'4 266lbs
Physical and explosive OLB that needs some more passrushing moves and a little more work in the weight room. With some experience could be an excellent depth player.

Rodrick Johnson, LILB, Oklahoma State ~ 6'3 255lbs
I watched the Texas V. Nation game quite a bit, I never seemed to focus in on this guy. Chip pointed him out and I agree. His exact words were "He's a physical LB that reminds me of James Harrison". I agree. The kid is just hard hitting and makes plays.

Anthony Hoke, RILB, Cincinnati ~ 6'1 234lbs
Hoke is a guy that I love. He's excellent on special teams coverage and he plays well in coverage. If Foote gets cut/when he leaves, Hoke will be an excellent Mack backup and should provide as an excellent Nickel LB next to Timmons.

Hilee Taylor, ROLB, North Carolina ~ 6'3 242lbs
Taylor is undersized for a DE, but with his excellent athleticism and agility could possibly develop into Harrisons successor. He's labled as a big play guy for making numerous critical big plays at much needed times. 10.5 sacks this past season, he could be a ST contributor as he learns behind Harrison. If he gets anything from Harrison, physical instincts or attitude, could be a beast.

RoShaun Fellows, CB, Tennessee ~ 6'1 205lbs
Fellows was an extremely gifted freshman, with a solid sophmore season. He slumped as his career went on, before ultimately being dismissed from Tennessee. I don't know why he was, but I remember watching him as a freshman in awe, the kid was amazing. I think with some coaching he could be an excellent CB/FS again.

Derrick Doggett, SS, Oregon State ~ 6'2 208lbs
Explosive and physical WLB that just doesn't have the size to play LB in the pro's. Likely a 1 year PS product to take tyrone Carters spot as a Sophmore.

Matthew Slater, KR, UCLA ~ 6'1 200lbs
Slater returned 3 kicks for Td's this season and averaged 30.9 yards per Kick return. I'm curious if he can do PR's. If not we still get an excellent kick returner.

Good overall and I think Rodney Kinlaw is vastly underrated

Santonio10
02-20-2008, 10:33 AM
Good overall and I think Rodney Kinlaw is vastly underrated

I agree. he played excellent this year for PSU. he ran all over TAMU, Wisconsin, Iowa, and he played really well against OSU as well. I think he could be a really good compliment back for someone in the NFL. Kind of like ahmad bradshaw is for the Giants. Hes a good player.

DeathbyStat
02-20-2008, 11:41 AM
I agree. he played excellent this year for PSU. he ran all over TAMU, Wisconsin, Iowa, and he played really well against OSU as well. I think he could be a really good compliment back for someone in the NFL. Kind of like ahmad bradshaw is for the Giants. Hes a good player.

As a Penn State student i've seen him in person quite a bit. He has more power then most people think as well.

skarocksoi
02-20-2008, 04:41 PM
Me likes Kinlaw too, though I doubt he does a whole lot in the NFL. Here's hoping I'm wrong though.

Evan Royster is the truth, however. I need to make a sig of him quick, fast, and in a hurry.

Smooth Criminal
02-20-2008, 08:22 PM
I saw on another forum that we placed the transition tag on Max Starks. We'll end up paying him 6.9 million, matching another teams offer, resigning him longterm, or letting him go for no compensation this year.

I like resigning Starks. With Faneca leaving I really wanna see Colon moved inside and I think Starks looked good at LT. I'd love to see a long term deal get done because Marvel Is likely leaving after this season.

Starks-Colon-Mahan-Simmons-Smith doesn't look like a bad line to me at all. Draft a first round tackle to replace Smith and sign Starks longterm. Hope Colon plays well inside. And find a way to replace Mahan, with anyone.

Hines
02-20-2008, 09:25 PM
My oline will be:

Starks-Albert(if we draft him)-Simmons-Colon-Smith

Mr. Stiller
02-21-2008, 12:25 AM
Mock with the Starks Update:

After the Starks news I have a different train of thought.

I'm assuming that this tag is so they can work Starks into a long-term LT contract.

We then add 2 mid-teir FA's.

**Dontarrius Thomas, ILB, Minnesota ~ Contributes to ST and could be a replacement for Faneca (3 years)

**BJ Sams, RS/Coverage, Baltimore ~ Contributes big time on ST's. Upgrade over Rossum. Contingent on passing a physical.

At 23, The Giants call and they want a Player at 1.23. They send us the 3rd/4th round picks along with their 1st in a trade back.

1.31) Brandon Flowers, CB, Virginia Tech ~ 5'11 200lbs

2.23) Carl Nicks, OT/OG, Nebraska ~ 6'5 343lbs

Nicks is dominant in the run game and provides great anchor in the pass game. Explanation after the draft for how he'll be utilized.

***** TRADE ALERT ******

It's 3.10 and someone we really like is falling.We call up and offer the 3rd and 4th we received in the giants trade to move up.

3.10) Earl Bennett, WR, Vanderbilt ~ 6'2 205lbs

Bennett is interesting. He doesn't possess 4.3 speed. But He does everything you love Ward for. He's much faster than Ward. But has amazing hands, is very physical. I'd say he's a combination between Larry Fitzgerald and Hines Ward. Excellent route running, great body control, very physical, very smart WR. Not to mention he has nearly every receiving record coming out of the Nations toughest conference

3.23) John Greco, RG/RT ~ 6'5 320lbs

Greco has the potential to provide short stints at RT but I think he could be a very dominant RG. Improves the run game and has superior Anchor.. Think Stronger Nick Kaczur.

4.23) Shawn Crable ROLB, Michigan ~ 6'5 245lbs

Wex Likes him and I really trust Wex's judgement. I have some games coming down to look at. But he's extremely athletic and has great potential. I think he provides a ST ace and after some time could be the bookend to our LB core with LaMarr. 2 Physical and explosive OLB's.

5) Lionel Dotson, DE, Arizona ~ 6'4 290lbs

Dotson is an extremely athletic and rangy tackle from Arizona. He could give us the passrushing presence on the weakside that we lack.

6a) Keilen Dykes, DE, West Virginia ~ 6'4 295lbs

Keilen Dykes is a very strong DT who played NT in a 3-3-5 scheme. He translates that to strongside in the 3-4. He has the potential to be an excellent replacement for Aaron Smith.

2008:

Starks ~ Simmons ~ Colon ~ Kemo ~ Smith
Essex ~ Mahan ~ Staple~ Greco ~ Nicks

2009:

Starks ~ Simmons ~ Colon ~ Kemo/Greco ~ Nicks
Rookie (1) ~ Mahan ~ Staples ~ Rookie (2) ~ Rookie ( 3)

DL:

Smith ~ Hampton ~ Keisel
Dykes ~ Hokes ~ Dotson

2009:

1) Terrance Taylor, NT, Michigan ~ 6'0 315lbs
2) Scott McKillop, Buck, Pittsburgh ~ 6'2 245lbs
3) Sean Sester, OT, Purdue(1) ~ 6'7 332lbs
3c) Matt Slauson, OG, Nebraska (2) ~ 6'5 330lbs
4) Stephen McGee, QB, Texas A&M ~ 6'4 215lbs
5) Brennan Southerland, FB, Georgia ~ 6'0 242lbs
6) Eric VandenHeuvel, OT, Wisconsin(3) ~ 6'7 325lbs
7) Ontario Sneed, RB, Central Michigan ~ 5'11 215lbs

brat316
02-21-2008, 12:31 AM
**Dontarrius Thomas, ILB, Minnesota ~ Contributes to ST and could be a replacement for Faneca (3 years)

i think you mean Foote or Farrior either one, unless you know something else

brat316
02-21-2008, 12:32 AM
Yo I won't to know has anyone ever been right about any FA predictions or even draft picks. By like assuming not from news you hear.

Mr. Stiller
02-21-2008, 12:57 AM
Yo I won't to know has anyone ever been right about any FA predictions or even draft picks. By like assuming not from news you hear.

I hit on exactly 90% of the UDFA's last year.

Sepulveda.

That was it from last year.

I would've hit 100 but freakin Gijon Robinson changing his mind and going to INdy.

DeathbyStat
02-21-2008, 08:53 AM
I don't know i think this max starks thing is a desperate move by the steelers.

Apperently Marvel's injury is really really bad.

mikehop05
02-21-2008, 12:37 PM
i believe i was right on with the woodley pick last year

mikehop05
02-21-2008, 02:07 PM
I don't know i think this max starks thing is a desperate move by the steelers.

Apperently Marvel's injury is really really bad.

i dont know about desperate... but its def more necessary than we all originally thought

Mr. Stiller
02-21-2008, 03:33 PM
I think it's more their way of working out a long term deal.

Colbert basically said: "We're not worried that someone would offer 2- 1sts for him so that $550K is two minimum player salaries different."

So they're basically keeping their options open.

terribletowel39
02-22-2008, 12:40 PM
one of you bums that gets to sit at home and watch the combine, should post weights and heights on the big guys. :) thanks.

mikehop05
02-22-2008, 01:20 PM
one of you bums that gets to sit at home and watch the combine, should post weights and heights on the big guys. :) thanks.

im bout to come home this weekend from school just to watch

Hines
02-22-2008, 01:48 PM
Steelers are contacting Dwight Smith. I like him, he is basically an older Anthony Smith. We also are negotiating a deal with Starks which could be done soon and Bens contract is moving along very nice.

terribletowel39
02-22-2008, 02:39 PM
Steelers are contacting Dwight Smith. I like him, he is basically an older Anthony Smith. We also are negotiating a deal with Starks which could be done soon and Bens contract is moving along very nice.
interesting on the Dwight Smith talk.

Mr. Stiller
02-22-2008, 04:05 PM
Dwight Smith is a piece of Garbage and is a terrible off the field person.

We Wanted Corey Williams, but not for 2-1sts and a boatload of money.

Also, we just cut Kreidwaldt, Tuman and Rossum

TheWood56
02-23-2008, 12:22 AM
Dwight Smith is a piece of Garbage and is a terrible off the field person.

We Wanted Corey Williams, but not for 2-1sts and a boatload of money.

Also, we just cut Kreidwaldt, Tuman and Rossum

The Steelers or you?

Mr. Stiller
02-23-2008, 02:07 AM
The Steelers or you?

Steelers. I'll show you on SCI.

TheWood56
02-23-2008, 02:37 AM
Steelers. I'll show you on SCI.

Okay, thanks.

brat316
02-23-2008, 03:04 AM
trai essex is still with us right he is a restricted FA so we can slap him with the 3.2 million tender.

TheWood56
02-23-2008, 03:13 AM
trai essex is still with us right he is a restricted FA so we can slap him with the 3.2 million tender.

Yeah, Essex is a RFA. Pretty sure we'll hold onto him and he'll be back with us next season.

skarocksoi
02-23-2008, 08:07 AM
So with the cuts that we just had, does anyone think our draft strategy changes a bit? Most notably, Rossum is gone, so unless they think Reid or someone else can step it up, I'm hoping they target a return specialist either in the draft or in FA.

Hines
02-23-2008, 09:28 AM
Some draft buzz:

The Pittsburgh Steelers, who need help on the offensive line, really like several prospects. The Steelers were impressed with U.S.C. guard Chilo Rachal, who never wanted to leave U.S.C. but had to because his parents suffer from Diabetes and need medical coverage. Pitt loves his character and work ethic.

Also, Western Michigan guard/tackle James Blair is getting a lot of attention from Pittsburgh. He's a bowling ball right tackle that projects as a guard. The reason they like him is his brute strength, especially against the best monster defensive tackles.

In addition, potential small school gem Heath Benedict looks fit -- he's completely recovered from a 2005 knee injury. This is another player getting a ton of attention from the Steelers. Heath thinks Pittsburgh wants him to play Alan Faneca's spot and not tackle because he is the draft's best trap blocker and they believe he will make the ideal replacement for Faneca.

We are also interested in Jaime Silva.

skarocksoi
02-23-2008, 01:41 PM
I read a quote somewhere from Colbert talking about how deep this year's crop of tackles is. I imagine we will jump on the bandwagon and take at least one.

DeathbyStat
02-23-2008, 04:04 PM
Watching the Lineman at the combine Chris Williams looks quite good as well as Zuttah have looked very good and Schuening was better then I thought.

I'm sure otah looks better in games but he looked clumsy at the combine

skarocksoi
02-23-2008, 06:54 PM
I like Williams as our first round pick. How great would it be to pick him up in 1 and maybe trade up in the second to grab Albert. Probably pipe dreams I suppose.

TheWood56
02-23-2008, 07:39 PM
Some interesting Steelers rumors:

There are some rumblings going around in Indy that the Steelers might be more active in free agency then they have in the past. No one expects them to sign any big names but they have been linked to quite a few players. One player they really like is Chargers running back Michael Turner. The market for Turner is down because of the strong running back class but the numbers don't match up at this moment. What's interesting is the two sides have had some discussions and there is interest from both sides although Turner's a longshot to sign in Pittsburgh. The Steelers and Lions are the front runners to sign former New Orleans Saints safety Dwight Smith. The Steelers are also among a handful of teams that have shown an interest in wide receiver Bryant Johnson. It's unlikely they will meet his demands but atleast they are inquiring about potential free agents. In the past the Steelers usually didn't make any noise at the combine in regards to potential free agents.

Well we all know the Steelers need help on the offensive line and it's believed this is one of the strongest drafts for lineman in a while. USC guard Chilo Rachal, Western Michigan guard/tackle James Blair, Pitt tackle Jeff Otah are garnering lots of attention from the Steelers. Another lineman the Steelers have also raved about is Heath Benedict.

Steelers Fans, Remember the name Limas Sweed - 6'4" WR, Texas.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just an article I found from http://www.theinsideronpittsburghsports.com/

TheWood56
02-23-2008, 07:43 PM
Some draft buzz:

The Pittsburgh Steelers, who need help on the offensive line, really like several prospects. The Steelers were impressed with U.S.C. guard Chilo Rachal, who never wanted to leave U.S.C. but had to because his parents suffer from Diabetes and need medical coverage. Pitt loves his character and work ethic.

Also, Western Michigan guard/tackle James Blair is getting a lot of attention from Pittsburgh. He's a bowling ball right tackle that projects as a guard. The reason they like him is his brute strength, especially against the best monster defensive tackles.

In addition, potential small school gem Heath Benedict looks fit -- he's completely recovered from a 2005 knee injury. This is another player getting a ton of attention from the Steelers. Heath thinks Pittsburgh wants him to play Alan Faneca's spot and not tackle because he is the draft's best trap blocker and they believe he will make the ideal replacement for Faneca.

We are also interested in Jaime Silva.

Yeah, I heard about Rachel, Blair, and Benedict, though where'd you hear that we're interested in Silva?

Hines
02-23-2008, 07:44 PM
Damn, if we got Turner, Johnson, and Smith in Free Agency, we could potentially be the best team in the AFC. Doubtful yes, but I think we really could. I hope we do too.

I wouldnt know what we would do in the draft after that.

TheWood56
02-23-2008, 07:50 PM
Damn, if we got Turner, Johnson, and Smith in Free Agency, we could potentially be the best team in the AFC. Doubtful yes, but I think we really could. I hope we do too.

I wouldnt know what we would do in the draft after that.

Yeah, we'd definately be an upgraded team so to say next season if we were to sign those three, though I think it's very doubtful. Of those three, the only one I could see us signing would be Smith. I don't think we land Turner or Johnson unfortunately. :(

DeathbyStat
02-23-2008, 08:25 PM

There are some rumblings going around in Indy that the Steelers might be more active in free agency then they have in the past. No one expects them to sign any big names but they have been linked to quite a few players. One player they really like is Chargers running back Michael Turner. The market for Turner is down because of the strong running back class but the numbers don't match up at this moment. What's interesting is the two sides have had some discussions and there is interest from both sides although Turner's a longshot to sign in Pittsburgh. The Steelers and Lions are the front runners to sign former New Orleans Saints safety Dwight Smith. The Steelers are also among a handful of teams that have shown an interest in wide receiver Bryant Johnson. It's unlikely they will meet his demands but atleast they are inquiring about potential free agents. In the past the Steelers usually didn't make any noise at the combine in regards to potential free agents.

Well we all know the Steelers need help on the offensive line and it's believed this is one of the strongest drafts for lineman in a while. USC guard Chilo Rachal, Western Michigan guard/tackle James Blair, Pitt tackle Jeff Otah are garnering lots of attention from the Steelers. Another lineman the Steelers have also raved about is Heath Benedict.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope the Limas Sweed thing is a smoke screen

TheWood56
02-23-2008, 09:07 PM

So do I Stat.

steelersfan27
02-24-2008, 01:51 PM

for some reason i cant get on to that site. what other interesting articles are on there?

Hines
02-24-2008, 02:04 PM
Jerome Felton is a guy I want. Big, physical running back.

mikehop05
02-24-2008, 03:05 PM

i dont know he ran a 4.45 and has a 30+ inch vertical... he could end up being better than people think

what are your knocks against him?

DeathbyStat
02-24-2008, 04:20 PM
i dont know he ran a 4.45 and has a 30+ inch vertical... he could end up being better than people think

what are your knocks against him?

Sorry I hadn't watched the that of the combine yet...but i do like James hardy better6

Hardy with a 4.47 at 6'7

Two guys I like better that we can get later on are Devin Thomas and Eddie Royal.

but their not tall guys but they can return kicks

We might be better getting Sweed or Hardy and then grabbing Dexter Jackson in a latter round to return kicks

Smooth Criminal
02-24-2008, 04:33 PM
I wanna draft OL heavy. I think with this draft class we can land a great tackle in the first, guard in the 2nd, or center in the 3rd.

I'd love to draft a tackle in the first to replace Marvel and play either L or RT and a C to replace Mahan. I'm hoping Colon is put inside to replace Faneca because I think he would be a great guard. We'll be losing Marvel after this season and Mahan needs to be out of the lineup. I think Starks, Colon, and Simmons can all be good starting lineman, as long as the other two are solid.

Smooth Criminal
02-24-2008, 04:41 PM

Trust me, we don't need to use the highest tender. There will not be teams begging to give us draft picks for him.

DeathbyStat
02-24-2008, 04:45 PM
I'd like to go O-line....skill player...oline.

I wouldn't hate James Hardy in the first but I'd rather have Devin Thomas in the second.

Hines
02-24-2008, 04:48 PM
Thomas wont be in the second where we pick after todays performance, trust me.

mikehop05
02-24-2008, 04:53 PM
I wanna draft OL heavy. I think with this draft class we can land a great tackle in the first, guard in the 2nd, or center in the 3rd.

I'd love to draft a tackle in the first to replace Marvel and play either L or RT and a C to replace Mahan. I'm hoping Colon is put inside to replace Faneca because I think he would be a great guard. We'll be losing Marvel after this season and Mahan needs to be out of the lineup. I think Starks, Colon, and Simmons can all be good starting lineman, as long as the other two are solid.

i agree i want to go o-line a lot as well... however, i think d-line needs to be a concern as well

DeathbyStat
02-24-2008, 05:04 PM
Thomas wont be in the second where we pick after todays performance, trust me.

Yeah your probly right...i hate to admit it but your right.

Hines
02-24-2008, 06:00 PM
We are looking at LSU guard Will Arnold. I projected him to be a second rounder before last season. Now I dont know what he is. I just read it..

I am interested in Arman Shields and Pierre Garcon. Those two are good small school, sleeper recievers who have impressed me in everything this Combine.

Hines
02-24-2008, 06:01 PM
Oh and also, Niners signed Allen Rossum. God bless their souls

DeathbyStat
02-24-2008, 06:05 PM
Matt Forte ran better than I thought he would.

Wow so did Kevin Smith 4.43

mikehop05
02-24-2008, 06:09 PM
We are looking at LSU guard Will Arnold. I projected him to be a second rounder before last season. Now I dont know what he is. I just read it..

I am interested in Arman Shields and Pierre Garcon. Those two are good small school, sleeper recievers who have impressed me in everything this Combine.

will was pretty dominant before injury wasnt he?

mikehop05
02-24-2008, 06:10 PM

yeah he did... u still think hes a mid rounder?

DeathbyStat
02-24-2008, 06:17 PM
yeah he did... u still think hes a mid rounder?

I'm not really sure but I'd be willing to grab him if he fell to the 5th round maybe the fourth

Hines
02-24-2008, 07:28 PM
If Stewert is there in the first, most likely wont, I am picking him. As soon as our pick is up, I would rush the card up there to grab him.

mikehop05
02-24-2008, 07:57 PM
If Stewert is there in the first, most likely wont, I am picking him. As soon as our pick is up, I would rush the card up there to grab him.

yeah i agree.

DeathbyStat
02-24-2008, 08:46 PM
yeah i agree.

Wow I totally agree too. To me if either Stewart or James Hardy falls to us we should take them.

And Mendenhall I'd take him too other wise I'm grabbing one of the tackles.

mikehop05
02-24-2008, 09:16 PM
Wow I totally agree too. To me if either Stewart or James Hardy falls to us we should take them.

And Mendenhall I'd take him too other wise I'm grabbing one of the tackles.

for me its just stewart, other than that i want one of the tackles

DeathbyStat
02-24-2008, 09:26 PM

Fair enough but it won't matter I don't think he falls that far

mikehop05
02-24-2008, 10:42 PM
Fair enough but it won't matter I don't think he falls that far

yeah especially after running that 4.44

brat316
02-24-2008, 10:47 PM
at 235 lbs, Felix jones ran the same at like 210 215

mikehop05
02-24-2008, 11:07 PM
at 235 lbs, Felix jones ran the same at like 210 215

yes... so what are u saying?

TheWood56
02-24-2008, 11:10 PM

I think I prefer Mendenhall to Stewart. They're both great RB's, but I think I'd have to go with Mendenhall over Stewart.

TheWood56
02-24-2008, 11:11 PM
yes... so what are u saying?

Stewart is more impressive then Jones?

TheWood56
02-24-2008, 11:13 PM

Wow so did Kevin Smith 4.43

So did McFadden who ran a 4.27.

mikehop05
02-24-2008, 11:13 PM
Stewart is more impressive then Jones?

thats what i would think but it seemed as though he had a differing opinion, thats why i was confused

mikehop05
02-24-2008, 11:14 PM
I think I prefer Mendenhall to Stewart. They're both great RB's, but I think I'd have to go with Mendenhall over Stewart.

to me mendenhall is more of a back that will step in and be a teams #1, and while stewart can do that i think he is better suited being thunder to willies lightning... thus being more of what we need right now

mikehop05
02-24-2008, 11:16 PM
on a side note, i dont know if he was there for the whole time but i noticed a guy with a steelers jacket on, i think it was their RB coach, during the rb's 40 yard dash... i noticed him at the finish line when tashard choice and i believe also when forte ran

so take that for what its worth

TheWood56
02-24-2008, 11:25 PM
on a side note, i dont know if he was there for the whole time but i noticed a guy with a steelers jacket on, i think it was their RB coach, during the rb's 40 yard dash... i noticed him at the finish line when tashard choice and i believe also when forte ran

Thanks for the info man.

I take that for $10. ;)

TheWood56
02-24-2008, 11:28 PM
thats what i would think but it seemed as though he had a differing opinion, thats why i was confused

Yeah, it kinda sounded like he thought Stewart wasn't that impressive, but then he brought up the fact that Jones ran the same exact time, but at a much lesser weight, 28lbs lighter to be exact.

Anyways, I think it's just the way he worded it.

TheWood56
02-24-2008, 11:37 PM
to me mendenhall is more of a back that will step in and be a teams #1, and while stewart can do that i think he is better suited being thunder to willies lightning... thus being more of what we need right now

I dunno, I think they'd both be great additions to the Steelers, though there's just something about Mendenhall I like. He's a pretty big guy and tough to bring down, though at the same time he has that break away speed (4.36) and also has good hands out of the back field. Trust me, I'd take either of them, though personally, I think I prefer Mendenhall.

Hines
02-25-2008, 07:45 AM
The guy in the Steeler jacket is a Steeler scout I believe they said.

DeathbyStat
02-25-2008, 08:34 AM
The guy in the Steeler jacket is a Steeler scout I believe they said.

Yes he is a scout but I don't know his name

Santonio10
02-25-2008, 01:15 PM
Are any of you guys warming up to the idea of maybe getting james hardy in the first? i am even though our biggest need is on the o-line, but he could be an awesome playmaker for us. Also devon thomas' stock is probably on the rise after running a 4.40 so i wouldnt mind him either in a later round

brat316
02-25-2008, 01:28 PM
Hardy I think will be there in the second, before combine he was third now i think he is maybe late first early second

Hines
02-25-2008, 04:16 PM
Damn, in a way, I hope we dont get any free agents because I truely believe we will get an extra third for Faneca, but there are some players I would love to get in this crop.

I really think we will get Dwight Smith, could possibly get Justin Smith(god that would be a lot of Smiths on our team), Michael Turner, Bryant Johnson. Not saying we will sign those four, but potentially just the Smiths.

But we will be losing a lot so we could get a few draft picks.

steel man
02-25-2008, 04:19 PM
http://news.steelers.com/article/87328/

i thought you guys would like to see this.

DeathbyStat
02-25-2008, 04:27 PM
Are any of you guys warming up to the idea of maybe getting james hardy in the first? i am even though our biggest need is on the o-line, but he could be an awesome playmaker for us. Also devon thomas' stock is probably on the rise after running a 4.40 so i wouldnt mind him either in a later round

I would like it....but I wouldn't take a skill player unless Stewart Medenhall or Hardy falls to us

steelersfan27
02-25-2008, 04:56 PM

im pretty sure he watched evryone's 40. he was there the every day.

DeathbyStat
02-25-2008, 05:42 PM
Cliff Avril is sweet

mikehop05
02-25-2008, 06:10 PM
im pretty sure he watched evryone's 40. he was there the every day.

yeah i wasnt sure, i only watched the recaps on nfl.com and only half watched those... i saw him a couple time but i guess i know why now

Hines
02-25-2008, 07:23 PM
I have a mock in mind that I am going to finish after the combine. But let me just say this, watch out for Bruce Davis. I like him, and I dont give a **** if you dont, he is going to be a player.

ryanrayne
02-25-2008, 10:16 PM
Joe Grashowsky or something like that. He is a Pittsburgh scout that has been timing the 40's the last few combines. Like John Lott does the bench presses. Mucc and Mayock on the NFL channel mentioned that the Pgh scout was the high school center for one JOE MONTANA. That was his previous claim to fame.

TheWood56
02-25-2008, 10:17 PM
Hardy I think will be there in the second, before combine he was third now i think he is maybe late first early second

Before the combine, I reckon Hardy was a 1st rounder, now after the combine, he's a sure 1st rounder IMO after running a 4.47 (unofficial) 40-yard dash and measuring in at 6'6" 217lbs.

TheWood56
02-25-2008, 10:21 PM
Joe Grashowsky or something like that. He is a Pittsburgh scout that has been timing the 40's the last few combines. Like John Lott does the bench presses. Mucc and Mayock on the NFL channel mentioned that the Pgh scout was the high school center for one JOE MONTANA. That was his previous claim to fame.

Thanks for the info man. :)

TheWood56
02-25-2008, 10:22 PM
Cliff Avril is sweet

Yeah, he had a pretty good showing at the combine.

TheWood56
02-25-2008, 10:33 PM
Damn, in a way, I hope we dont get any free agents because I truely believe we will get an extra third for Faneca, but there are some players I would love to get in this crop.

I really think we will get Dwight Smith, could possibly get Justin Smith(god that would be a lot of Smiths on our team), Michael Turner, Bryant Johnson. Not saying we will sign those four, but potentially just the Smiths.

But we will be losing a lot so we could get a few draft picks.

I could see us possibly signing Dwight Smith, though out of the guys you mentioned, I think that's about it. I think Justin Smith will price himself out of our range, and apparently he and the 49ers have spoken and are close to a deal or something, even though that would be tampering. Though I've also heard that Smith's agent started that rumor to bump his value up or something, so I dunno. Michael Turner will also demand too much money IMO, and I'm pretty sure he'll be looking to start for some team, and obviously he won't get that opportunity here, having to play second fiddle to Parker, or at best, splitting the carries 50-50. Bryant Johnson is another FA who I think will demand too much money, as I think he'll be looking for #2 WR money and will be looking to start for some team, and the best he'll do here would obviously be #3 WR.

Also, I know you're pretty keen to sign Justin Smith, so here's another piece I found regarding the Steelers possibly targeting Smith on the open market.

From KFFL

Steelers | Team expected to pursue J. Smith
Mon, 25 Feb 2008 10:09:07 -0800

Carlos Holmes, of the Dayton Daily News, reports the Pittsburgh Steelers are expected to pursue Cincinnati Bengals DL Justin Smith when free agency begins Feb. 29.

Hines
02-25-2008, 10:39 PM
Exactly, I believe we will get Smith, because I read that Smith really likes CT, this is Dwight btw. Justin I think we could get because if he wants to play for a team that could win and have a chance at a ring, he will come here. He should know that he is in the downhill peak of his career and he shouldnt be demanding top money. I believe we could offord him and outbid the Niners and Browns.

Another free agent I would like is Jaques Reeves formally from the Cowboys. He played well while in the starting lineup. Would give us a good nickel corner.

But basically, I would like J Smith, but I think he goes elsewhere as we wont spend THAT much money.

Turner I believe we could get because of the draft class being so stacked. But I would rather have Stewert then Turner even though they are pretty much the same guy.

BJ is a guy I would like, but Hardy, Sweed, Doucet, Burton are all guys that can put up similar numbers and are younger.

brat316
02-25-2008, 10:42 PM
For Bryant Johnson I think he would be a good number 2 and have Holmes speed on the inside slot.

Did anyone see taht Derick Harvey's weight was 290 lbs, at 6'2 he didn't look anywhere near that. Campbell was 290 and you could kind of see his gut.

Would that ND de Law be any good in a 3-4.

Also it looks like Campbell will be playing with his hand down for sure now, I think he is going to be a Jared Allen type of DE. A fat 4-3 DE.

Hines
02-25-2008, 10:44 PM
I think they said that Harveys weight was a typo. He really checked in at 271. If that is true, I would pick him up in the first, or trade down and get him in the second. He could easily pack on a few pounds to keep his hand on the ground in a 34.

TheWood56
02-25-2008, 10:52 PM
Originally Posted by HinesWardJr
Exactly, I believe we will get Smith, because I read that Smith really likes CT, this is Dwight btw. Justin I think we could get because if he wants to play for a team that could win and have a chance at a ring, he will come here. He should know that he is in the downhill peak of his career and he shouldnt be demanding top money. I believe we could offord him and outbid the Niners and Browns.

I agree on Dwight. Tomlin knows him well and has coached him at both Tampa and Minnesota, so there's a good chance that he could come here IMO. I have to disagree with you on Justin though. I think he'll be looking for big bucks, and I honestly can't see us out bidding the 49ers or the Browns. That's just not the way the Steelers do things, though I could be wrong.

Another free agent I would like is Jaques Reeves formally from the Cowboys. He played well while in the starting lineup. Would give us a good nickel corner.

Haven't really seen enough of Reeves, so I can't comment.

But basically, I would like J Smith, but I think he goes elsewhere as we wont spend THAT much money.

Agreed.

Turner I believe we could get because of the draft class being so stacked. But I would rather have Stewert then Turner even though they are pretty much the same guy.

I agree that the RB position in FA isn't as valued as it would be in other years because of the strong RB class coming out in the draft, though I still think Turner will be highly sort after and will sign a pretty hefty contract and go on to start for some team next season.

BJ is a guy I would like, but Hardy, Sweed, Doucet, Burton are all guys that can put up similar numbers and are younger.

I also wouldn't mind Johnson, though I honestly can't see us drafting Hardy, Sweed, or Doucet as I think Hardy and Sweed are sure 1st rounders, and Doucet maybe an early-mid 2nd rounder. Burton could be a possibility in the 3rd round maybe. I dunno.

TheWood56
02-25-2008, 11:39 PM
Originally Posted by bhaarat316
For Bryant Johnson I think he would be a good number 2 and have Holmes speed on the inside slot.

I dunno. I really think Holmes has found his feet where he is now (#2 WR). If we were to sign Johnson, I think I'd just play him in the slot, or if not, I'd play Ward in the slot hopefully prolonging his career. Ward and Miller could be the sure handed receivers working the middle of the field.

Did anyone see taht Derick Harvey's weight was 290 lbs, at 6'2 he didn't look anywhere near that. Campbell was 290 and you could kind of see his gut.

As Hines said, it must have been a typo, because that's about 30lbs heavier then I was expecting him to weigh in at. I was expecting him to measure in around 6'3" 260lbs.

Would that ND de Law be any good in a 3-4.

I really like Laws. He's just got such a high motor and just makes plays. Also, ND ran a 3-4 defense last season FYI.

Also it looks like Campbell will be playing with his hand down for sure now, I think he is going to be a Jared Allen type of DE. A fat 4-3 DE.

If Campbell's going to be a Jared Allen type DE, then he should be a top 10 pick, because Jared Allen's a freaking beast. I don't think Campbell's going to be anywhere near as disruptive as Allen's been. Sure, he has the potential, though I just don't see it. He's not necessarily coming off of a very good junior year either if you think about it. Also, I wouldn't call Allen a "fat" 4-3 DE. He's 6'6" 270lbs. That's about ideal measurables for a 4-3 DE IMO.

TheWood56
02-25-2008, 11:56 PM

I really like Devin Thomas. I had us taking him in the 2nd in my one and only mock this season, it was a trade down mock FYI, so I had extra picks and decided to go with a WR in the 2nd.

Also, Devin Thomas ran a 4.34 40-yard dash his 1st attempt, though pretty sure it was unofficial, so it'll be pretty interesting to see what his official 40 time is on that 1st attempt.

mikehop05
02-26-2008, 12:08 AM
I really like Devin Thomas. I had us taking him in the 2nd in my one and only mock this season, it was a trade down mock FYI, so I had extra picks and decided to go with a WR in the 2nd.

Also, Devin Thomas ran a 4.34 40-yard dash his 1st attempt, though pretty sure it was unofficial, so it'll be pretty interesting to see what his official 40 time is on that 1st attempt.

on nfl.com they have him as a 4.40 i believe for the official

TheWood56
02-26-2008, 01:23 AM
on nfl.com they have him as a 4.40 i believe for the official

Yeah, I saw that he had a 4.40 time on NFL.com, though I wasn't sure if it was official or not. I'm pretty sure he ran slower his 2nd attempt, as everyone usually does. I think he ran like a 4.4 something his 2nd attempt. With the 40 times though, do they put both their attempts together and average it out, or do they just go with their best time?

Anyways, I know I saw Devin Thomas had a 4.34 40 time, though as I said, it was an unofficial time. Maybe his official time was an even 4.40.

mikehop05
02-26-2008, 01:56 AM
Yeah, I saw that he had a 4.40 time on NFL.com, though I wasn't sure if it was official or not. I'm pretty sure he ran slower his 2nd attempt, as everyone usually does. I think he ran like a 4.4 something his 2nd attempt. With the 40 times though, do they put both their attempts together and average it out, or do they just go with their best time?

Anyways, I know I saw Devin Thomas had a 4.34 40 time, though as I said, it was an unofficial time. Maybe his official time was an even 4.40.

i wonder why its unofficial at first..

do you think that sometimes when their hand hits the string before the runner gets to the mark it would be counted as unofficial until they account for when his body went through?

thats the only think i can think of

brat316
02-26-2008, 11:44 AM
Dexter Jackson for a return guy

steelersfan27
02-26-2008, 01:18 PM
Dexter Jackson for a return guy

i certainly wouldnt mind that

steelersfan27
02-26-2008, 01:19 PM
and i thought that brandon flowers was a 2nd maybe 3rd round pick, but the experts have him as their #1 cb.

Santonio10
02-26-2008, 01:32 PM
Im really starting to like this Laws guy from notre dame. he looked pretty quick at the combine, and he has experience in a 3-4 because thats what notre dame played last year so i really wouldnt mind getting this kid. Im not sure what round he would be there to get though. What do you guys think?

mikehop05
02-26-2008, 02:09 PM
and i thought that brandon flowers was a 2nd maybe 3rd round pick, but the experts have him as their #1 cb.

well i know mayock does

there are so many good corners in this draft that it all depends on what you want as a team

mikehop05
02-26-2008, 02:11 PM
Im really starting to like this Laws guy from notre dame. he looked pretty quick at the combine, and he has experience in a 3-4 because thats what notre dame played last year so i really wouldnt mind getting this kid. Im not sure what round he would be there to get though. What do you guys think?

you like him as a nose guard?

steelersfan27
02-26-2008, 02:21 PM

he would need 2 put on more weight, and with his frame it would hurt his athletisicim. could he play DE?

DeathbyStat
02-26-2008, 02:42 PM
he would need 2 put on more weight, and with his frame it would hurt his athletisicim. could he play DE?

He think he can but i could be wrong he does only run a 5.04 forty but he was great at tackles for loss in college.

Jakey
02-26-2008, 04:38 PM
i wonder why its unofficial at first..

do you think that sometimes when their hand hits the string before the runner gets to the mark it would be counted as unofficial until they account for when his body went through?

thats the only think i can think of

Its because the unnoficial times are done with a stopwatch...and it takes a while to get the proper results from the electronic timing thingy. Hope that helps :D

Santonio10
02-26-2008, 06:13 PM

No i like him more as a 3-4 end. 3-4 noses are pretty tough to come by nowadays

Santonio10
02-26-2008, 06:16 PM
i believe i heard mike mayok say he had over 110 tackles, and as a 3-4 end that number is astounding!

terribletowel39
02-26-2008, 06:22 PM
yea i agree if Laws is drafted, he should be drafted as a 34 DE and not 34 NT. but i would much rather Bryant.

Jakey
02-26-2008, 07:03 PM
Post Combie Mock

Trade PIT 1st for GB 1st and 2nd.

1: Brandon Flowers - CB - Virginia Tech
2: Mario Manningham - WR - Michigan
2: Carl Nicks - OT - Nebraska
3: Dre Moore - DE - Maryland
4: Jeremy Thompson - OLB - Wake Forest
5: Jeremy Zuttah - OT/OG/C - Rutgers
6: Anthony Alridge - WR/RB/KR - Houston

Tell me what you think guys!

p.s. While i was writing this there was an earthquake...scary shiz! :D

Hines
02-26-2008, 07:36 PM
My little mock:

We sign S Dwight Smith
DE Justin Smith

S Kenny Phillips is still on the board when we pick, the Giants want him badly, they call us up and offer their first and a third for our pick. We accept.

1) James Hardy WR Indiana
2) Anthony Collins OT Kansas
3a) Matt Forte RB Tulane
3b) Terrell Thomas CB USC
4) Dexter Jackson WR/RS Appy State
5) James Blair G Western Michigan
6) Frank Okam DT Texas

Reasons behind the picks:

With Hardy, we get BPA and fit one need, a big reciever that Ben wants. In round two, we get the offensive tackle that is so deep this year. Collins is raw and needs more expierence. I say he is a backup to both tackles and learns them both, then can start on the left or right side his soph year. Forte is a player on the rise. He showed great speed, and has power between the tackles. He would be the perfect back to spell Willie. Terrell Thomas is a good corner. He understands the game and can play in either man or zone. He is big, and he showed good speed. I think he could match up with recievers and jack them up a little bit and run their routes off. Jackson impressed me a lot during the week. We all know he has great speed, but I am not sure about his recieving skills or that his size will help him in the next level. Right now, I just think of a return specialist for him. He will improve our special teams right away. I dont know too much about Blair but he is a big, physical mauler. The Steelers are aparently interested and he could be a solid player and could start for us. Okam has a lot of talent, as we all know. The one thing I question is his weight, drive, and consistancy. All those problems could make him a huge dropoff in the draft. His stock was already going down and this doesnt help it. If we can get him to maintain his weight, and have him dedicated, we have ourselves a 6th round steal and great player.

mikehop05
02-26-2008, 08:28 PM
Post Combie Mock

Trade PIT 1st for GB 1st and 2nd.

1: Brandon Flowers - CB - Virginia Tech
2: Mario Manningham - WR - Michigan
2: Carl Nicks - OT - Nebraska
3: Dre Moore - DE - Maryland
4: Jeremy Thompson - OLB - Wake Forest
5: Jeremy Zuttah - OT/OG/C - Rutgers
6: Anthony Alridge - WR/RB/KR - Houston

Tell me what you think guys!

p.s. While i was writing this there was an earthquake...scary shiz! :D

i dont know much about picks 5 n 6

of course i love dre moore but i dont think he'll be there in the 3rd... but if he is id enjoy that pick... but im not so sure hes a good fit for us defensively i nthe 3-4

the nicks pick would be nice but im not a huge fan of manningham, just something about him i dont like

mikehop05
02-26-2008, 08:29 PM
i believe i heard mike mayok say he had over 110 tackles, and as a 3-4 end that number is astounding!

probably in his career...

Hines
02-26-2008, 08:32 PM
probably in his career...

No, he really did have 100 plus tackles this past season. I guess that happens when you are the only one on that defense.

mikehop05
02-26-2008, 08:37 PM
No, he really did have 100 plus tackles this past season. I guess that happens when you are the only one on that defense.

damn, thats true though

TheWood56
02-26-2008, 10:50 PM

Flowers is a beast man. He's one of my favorite Steelers prospects. He's the CB I'd want to see the Steelers draft the most. He was born to wear a Steelers uniform. He definately has 1st round talent IMO.

mikehop05
02-26-2008, 10:54 PM
Flowers is a beast man. He's one of my favorite Steelers prospects. He's the CB I'd want to see the Steelers draft the most. He was born to wear a Steelers uniform. He definately has 1st round talent IMO.

yeah i love the kid, his physicality just defines what a steeler is

TheWood56
02-26-2008, 10:55 PM
well i know mayock does

there are so many good corners in this draft that it all depends on what you want as a team

Yeah, I agree, though when it comes to the Steelers, I think Flowers fits the Steelers defense the best IMO. He's just so physical, though actually has some ball skills, unlike Taylor who can run with and cover basically anyone, but just doesn't have the ball skills you look for in a #1 CB.

TheWood56
02-26-2008, 10:57 PM
yeah i love the kid, his physicality just defines what a steeler is

Yes, he's the definition of a Steelers DB IMO. This kid just fits this football team. He's just so Steeler-esque if you know what I mean.

TheWood56
02-26-2008, 10:59 PM
Its because the unnoficial times are done with a stopwatch...and it takes a while to get the proper results from the electronic timing thingy. Hope that helps :D

Thanks man. I had no idea where they got the "official" times from.

TheWood56
02-26-2008, 11:01 PM

Yeah, he really did have 100+ tackles on the season. That's just amazing.

steel man
02-27-2008, 12:08 AM
what do you guys think about Quentin Groves in the 2nd if he is there. my reasoning is that if we go to the cover 2 or use both the 3-4 and the cover 2 that would give us LaMarr and Quentin Groves as our 2 DE's and Smith and Hampton as DT's then that would still leave us Foote, Timmons, Harrison, and Farrior as our LB'ers and in the 3-4 that just gives us another great LBer.

mikehop05
02-27-2008, 01:04 AM
what do you guys think about Quentin Groves in the 2nd if he is there. my reasoning is that if we go to the cover 2 or use both the 3-4 and the cover 2 that would give us LaMarr and Quentin Groves as our 2 DE's and Smith and Hampton as DT's then that would still leave us Foote, Timmons, Harrison, and Farrior as our LB'ers and in the 3-4 that just gives us another great LBer.

id take him, but not because of the 'tampa 2'

harrison will be 30 by the beginning of the season, and he had an okay year this year (i feel his stats were a bit skewed by a couple games) i do not feel like he is an elite pass rusher..

now dont get me wrong i love the guy and the tenacity that he brings, but at age 30 a lot of people usually start to decline (see porter) and after this season i think harrison's best days will be behind him..

groves brings a more dynamic pass rush, though right now he may not be as great against the run... add a good 10 - 15 lbs on him and put him opposite of woodley and let em reek havoc in 2 years

Mr. Stiller
02-27-2008, 01:30 AM
Trade our 1st for GB's 1st, 3rd and 5th.

I propose we sign: If we get a long term deal with Max Starks negotiated, we should be able to add these 3.

Dontarrius Thomas, ILB, Minnesota Vikings ~ With depth being an issue and with so many needs in the draft we believe that a Tomlin favorite will come to Pittsburgh to have a year under Farrior then compete with a pick in 2009 (Scott McKillop?) for ILB.

Randy Starks, DE, Tennessee ~ I like Starks starting at WDE and letting Keisel be a 3-4 DE / 3-4 OLB part time pass rusher at both roles. He could play as a passrusher at 275 anywhere outside our front 7. He could even plays some Jumbo ILB roles like they did with Haloti Ngata in Baltimore I guess.

Jacob Bell, OG, Tennessee ~ I'm looking at Bell in a different manner. Sure he'd be great for LG, but with our first pick in the draft, thats unneccesary. What I am curious about is if he can play C. Bell can hold his own way better than Mahan, and is pretty explosive off the ball. I'm thinking two things. 1) Jeff Hartings did it and was a pretty accomplished guard. Bell is a little younger than Hartings was when he came here, but he has that Jumbo C Size (6'5 310lbs) and is quick off the snap. Can he snap and step? I think he can. Adding a OL Ben is familiar with, and the ability to let them work the snaps in pre-season, might be a steal.

1) Brandon Albert, OG/T(?), Virginia ~ 6'5 5/8" 309lbs 5.22

Albert has the potential to be a pro-bowl LG, and potential to be an excellent LT in this league. We snag him to anchor the re-youthening of our OL.

2) Brandon Flowers, CB, Virginia Tech ~ 5'9 6/8" 183lbs 4.58

Some may shy away from his 40 time and size. I'll just point to his game tapes, that does more than defend him. I don't know why he ran that bad, he doesn't play that slow on the field.

3a) Eddie Royal, WR, Virginia Tech ~ 5'9 5/8" 184lbs 4.39

Eddie Royal is a smooth and talented WR that adds speed and another deep threat to our WR core. He also is a homerun hitting Return Specialist and with his ability to play #3 WR Reliably, and return Kicks/Punts, we hit a homerun. With this Ced Wilson is gone and we still keep Willie Reid to develop as a #4/#5 WR.

3b) Kendall Langford, DE, Hampton ~ 6'5 4/8" 287lbs 4.97

Langford is a small school prospect that I think could fall here. He's got the size and demeanor to be an excellent 3-4 DE. With a little work with John Mitchell could be the future on either side of the OL.

4) Tashard Choice, RB, Georgia Tech ~ 5'10 4/8" 215lbs 4.52

Choice is a complete Back. Sure he didn't run a 4.4, and sure he's under 6' and 220lbs, but the guy is a football player. He is extremely hard to tackle, makes his small stout frame even smaller, has good vision, and soft hands. He can allow us to cut Najeh Davenport gaining us further cap room.

5a) Curtis Johnson, OLB, Clark-Atlanta ~ 6'2 5/8" 242lbs 4.69

Curtis is another small school guy that has shown the athleticism to play in a 3-4. With Keisel being allowed to lose weight and slide back some, it's not a dire situation as was previously believed, but at the same time, he's BPA at this point. Keisel backs up Harrison and Johnson backs up Woodley.

5b) Brandon Keith, OT/OG, Northern Iowa ~ 6'5 3/8" 343lbs 5.21

Some may be unfamiliar with this name. Keith is basically a later round version of Carl Nicks. Similar Size, body build, arm strength and feet. Keith just went to a smaller school. He looked extremely Impressive in the Texas V. Nation game sliding out and dealing with the speed rushers. He'll probably be limited to RT in the pro's, but he also could move inside. Fluid combination of size and speed.

6) Caleb Campbell, SS, Army ~ 6'1 6/8" 229lbs 4.56

I haven't seen Campbell but everything I read is excellent. He could be a top notch backup SS and ST's contributor. He can break on the ball like a safety, but hits and stops the run like a LB. Experience at both positions and being a ST ace gives him value here.

Priority UDFA:

Xavier Lee, QB, Florida State ~ Frenchy is likely gone and we have no #3 QB.

Keon Lattimore, RB, Maryland ~ Lattimore is a tough runner that is an insurance policy. He's pretty quick and very tough to tackle. Bringing him in as a Developmental player and letting him on the PS to activate in case Parker, Choice or Russell get injured.

Jabari Arthur, WR, Akron ~ Ben wanted a big WR and we couldn't get him one in the draft. However Arthur is an excellent guy to bring in. He runs solid routes, excellent hands, physical and quick off the LOS. Flying under the radar as he didn't get a Combine invite.

Matthew Mulligan, TE, Maine ~ We need a reliable 3rd Blocking TE so we can utilize Heath Miller and Matt Spaeth as receivers a bit more. Enter Matt Mulligan. He can drive some DE's out of the play and would be an excellent guy to add and use him more and more as the season progressed.

Andrew Bain, G/C, Miami ~ (6'3 2/8" 325lbs) I think it would be a great Idea to work on developing a talented and athletic OG/C prospect. We'll have Bell, Mahan and Stapleton on the roster, but after a year, and how well Bell does, Bain could make an impact down the road.

J.T. Mapu, DE, Tennessee ~ Mapu is just one of those kids that coaches love. He's got good size for 3-4 DE at 6'3-6'4 and 290-300lbs and he has an unmatched motor. Watching this guy all the Texas V. Nation game, he didn't stop once. Double teamed, Single teamed, he was collapsing the pocket, penetrating, forcing fumbles, getting sacks and knocking the balls down at the LOS. Very impressive.

Titus Brown, OLB, Mississippi State ~ Titus is a Strong POA passrusher and run stopper and could develop into a very top notch backup in our scheme.

TheWood56
02-27-2008, 01:59 AM

I propose we sign: If we get a long term deal with Max Starks negotiated, we should be able to add these 3.

Dontarrius Thomas, ILB, Minnesota Vikings ~ With depth being an issue and with so many needs in the draft we believe that a Tomlin favorite will come to Pittsburgh to have a year under Farrior then compete with a pick in 2009 (Scott McKillop?) for ILB.

Randy Starks, DE, Tennessee ~ I like Starks starting at WDE and letting Keisel be a 3-4 DE / 3-4 OLB part time pass rusher at both roles. He could play as a passrusher at 275 anywhere outside our front 7. He could even plays some Jumbo ILB roles like they did with Haloti Ngata in Baltimore I guess.

Jacob Bell, OG, Tennessee ~ I'm looking at Bell in a different manner. Sure he'd be great for LG, but with our first pick in the draft, thats unneccesary. What I am curious about is if he can play C. Bell can hold his own way better than Mahan, and is pretty explosive off the ball. I'm thinking two things. 1) Jeff Hartings did it and was a pretty accomplished guard. Bell is a little younger than Hartings was when he came here, but he has that Jumbo C Size (6'5 310lbs) and is quick off the snap. Can he snap and step? I think he can. Adding a OL Ben is familiar with, and the ability to let them work the snaps in pre-season, might be a steal.

Albert has the potential to be a pro-bowl LG, and potential to be an excellent LT in this league. We snag him to anchor the re-youthening of our OL.

Some may shy away from his 40 time and size. I'll just point to his game tapes, that does more than defend him. I don't know why he ran that bad, he doesn't play that slow on the field.

Eddie Royal is a smooth and talented WR that adds speed and another deep threat to our WR core. He also is a homerun hitting Return Specialist and with his ability to play #3 WR Reliably, and return Kicks/Punts, we hit a homerun. With this Ced Wilson is gone and we still keep Willie Reid to develop as a #4/#5 WR.

Langford is a small school prospect that I think could fall here. He's got the size and demeanor to be an excellent 3-4 DE. With a little work with John Mitchell could be the future on either side of the OL.

Choice is a complete Back. Sure he didn't run a 4.4, and sure he's under 6' and 220lbs, but the guy is a football player. He is extremely hard to tackle, makes his small stout frame even smaller, has good vision, and soft hands. He can allow us to cut Najeh Davenport gaining us further cap room.

Curtis is another small school guy that has shown the athleticism to play in a 3-4. With Keisel being allowed to lose weight and slide back some, it's not a dire situation as was previously believed, but at the same time, he's BPA at this point. Keisel backs up Harrison and Johnson backs up Woodley.

Some may be unfamiliar with this name. Keith is basically a later round version of Carl Nicks. Similar Size, body build, arm strength and feet. Keith just went to a smaller school. He looked extremely Impressive in the Texas V. Nation game sliding out and dealing with the speed rushers. He'll probably be limited to RT in the pro's, but he also could move inside. Fluid combination of size and speed.

I haven't seen Campbell but everything I read is excellent. He could be a top notch backup SS and ST's contributor. He can break on the ball like a safety, but hits and stops the run like a LB. Experience at both positions and being a ST ace gives him value here.

Priority UDFA:

Keon Lattimore, RB, Maryland ~ Lattimore is a tough runner that is an insurance policy. He's pretty quick and very tough to tackle. Bringing him in as a Developmental player and letting him on the PS to activate in case Parker, Choice or Russell get injured.

Jabari Arthur, WR, Akron ~ Ben wanted a big WR and we couldn't get him one in the draft. However Arthur is an excellent guy to bring in. He runs solid routes, excellent hands, physical and quick off the LOS. Flying under the radar as he didn't get a Combine invite.

Matthew Mulligan, TE, Maine ~ We need a reliable 3rd Blocking TE so we can utilize Heath Miller and Matt Spaeth as receivers a bit more. Enter Matt Mulligan. He can drive some DE's out of the play and would be an excellent guy to add and use him more and more as the season progressed.

Andrew Bain, G/C, Miami ~ (6'3 2/8" 325lbs) I think it would be a great Idea to work on developing a talented and athletic OG/C prospect. We'll have Bell, Mahan and Stapleton on the roster, but after a year, and how well Bell does, Bain could make an impact down the road.

J.T. Mapu, DE, Tennessee ~ Mapu is just one of those kids that coaches love. He's got good size for 3-4 DE at 6'3-6'4 and 290-300lbs and he has an unmatched motor. Watching this guy all the Texas V. Nation game, he didn't stop once. Double teamed, Single teamed, he was collapsing the pocket, penetrating, forcing fumbles, getting sacks and knocking the balls down at the LOS. Very impressive.

Titus Brown, OLB, Mississippi State ~ Titus is a Strong POA passrusher and run stopper and could develop into a very top notch backup in our scheme.

Really like the 3 FA signings Stiller.

Now onto the draft. Love the Albert and Flowers selections, and like the Royal, Langford, and Choice selections also. Those first 4 rounds would just be awesome Stiller. Haven't seen much of Johnson, though he did put up some pretty impressive numbers last season, notching up 112 tackles, 27 TFL, and 13.5 sacks. Also had a decent showing at the combine, measuring in at just under 6'3" and weighing in at 242lbs. Also ran a decent forty time of 4.69 and throwing up a decent 25 reps on the bench. Onto Keith. Honestly haven't seen much of him either, though I know the Steelers were apparently looking at him at the combine and he could be an option as a later round developmental guy. Have no idea on Campbell. I've heard a bit about him, though don't really have any knowledge of his game.

All in all, I really like it. Great work Stiller, yet once again. I could certainly live with that off season.

Jakey
02-27-2008, 05:40 AM
id take him, but not because of the 'tampa 2'

harrison will be 30 by the beginning of the season, and he had an okay year this year (i feel his stats were a bit skewed by a couple games) i do not feel like he is an elite pass rusher..

now dont get me wrong i love the guy and the tenacity that he brings, but at age 30 a lot of people usually start to decline (see porter) and after this season i think harrison's best days will be behind him..

groves brings a more dynamic pass rush, though right now he may not be as great against the run... add a good 10 - 15 lbs on him and put him opposite of woodley and let em reek havoc in 2 years

I agree with that...i believe if we can land a good 3-4 OLB prospect this year, he would learn a year behind Harrison than take over in '09. I believe Harrison would be an ideal replacement for Farrior at LILB, his best assets are his strength, leverage, run support and bull rushing...those are the most important aspects of playing the buck position. What do you guys think about this???

TheWood56
02-27-2008, 06:11 AM
I agree with that...i believe if we can land a good 3-4 OLB prospect this year, he would learn a year behind Harrison than take over in '09. I believe Harrison would be an ideal replacement for Farrior at LILB, his best assets are his strength, leverage, run support and bull rushing...those are the most important aspects of playing the buck position. What do you guys think about this???

I'd say that's a pretty good post Jakey. :)

Seriously though, I do agree. If we could land a good OLB prospect, he could sit behind Harrison for a season, then after that, he could pair up with Woodley at OLB and Harrison could shift inside with Timmons.

I've actually thought for a while now that Harrison would make for a beastly ILB, though obviously we had Farrior and Foote there and we had no one to replace Harrison at ROLB. But yeah, Harrison would be a beastly ILB IMO and if we could find his replacement and Woodley's partner in crime so to say, I'd love to shift him inside. I just think he'd wreak havoc there. I also think that if we could pick up a RDE and we had some solid depth there, Keisel would be much better suited as an OLB if he trimmed down a little and was a little more agile and explosive. He could be a situational pass rusher and come in and play with his hand on the ground in our nickel and dime packages. He'd be pretty stout against the run out there also, where as where he is now, I feel that he's become a bit of a liability against the run unfortunately. He'd also be able to go back to ST's full time which would be a great thing considering our ST's suck and he's a pretty good ST's player, and when you think about it, there's a very good chance that he could be an even more disruptive ST's player if he was trimmed down a little and was a little more agile and explosive. Bascially, he'd just be able to move a whole lot better carrying less weight and consistantly training with the LB's and doing all the LB drills.

Anyways, just my thoughts.

Jakey
02-27-2008, 07:16 AM
I know this is a deep running back class, but i still dont believe we should draft a RB. I know we didnt see much of Gary Russell this year, but if you watch his college tape it is obvious that he can be a difference maker. He was projected as a first rounder going into his junior year, but was made accademically inelligible. If you watch this video, look at his feet allways churning, and his lateral motion...he reminds me allot of Fred Taylor! And thats gotta be good :)

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/specials/draft/2007/video/?c=Position&p=86583&s=1532460

Hines
02-27-2008, 07:59 AM
Hey Jakey, are you working on my sig?

Jakey
02-27-2008, 08:00 AM
Hey Jakey, are you working on my sig?

Ye i gave it a shot...i PM'd it to ya

Hines
02-27-2008, 08:12 AM
Ye i gave it a shot...i PM'd it to ya

Gracias amigo.

Hines
02-27-2008, 08:54 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3266796

Wow I cant believe he died.

mikehop05
02-27-2008, 11:02 AM
I know this is a deep running back class, but i still dont believe we should draft a RB. I know we didnt see much of Gary Russell this year, but if you watch his college tape it is obvious that he can be a difference maker. He was projected as a first rounder going into his junior year, but was made accademically inelligible. If you watch this video, look at his feet allways churning, and his lateral motion...he reminds me allot of Fred Taylor! And thats gotta be good :)

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/specials/draft/2007/video/?c=Position&p=86583&s=1532460

I have to agree, I think the kid can really be something.

mikehop05
02-27-2008, 11:07 AM
russell also looks more beastly now than he did then

he looks like he added 15 lbs and instead of side stepping guys he looks to run em over

mikehop05
02-27-2008, 11:13 AM

Priority UDFA:

love the mock, though if it were me id look to spend the 4th on another d-linemen, maybe the other hamptoner, dixon

im just not ready to give up on russell right now

mikehop05
02-27-2008, 11:24 AM
thoughts on scotts new mock for us?

i like the albert pick, if williams is gone
but bennett is just another sub 6 foot receiver... they wouldnt do that again

terribletowel39
02-27-2008, 11:38 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3266796

Wow I cant believe he died.
yea its pretty sad day. make sure to pour some out tonight. it is important.

DeathbyStat
02-27-2008, 11:50 AM

Yeah not huge fan of this...the Bennett pick is a little bit disapointing what other play makers were avaliable when Bennett was picked.

Does anyone think we would take James Hardy in the first?

Hines
02-27-2008, 04:32 PM
Drew Carter got released by the Panthers. He has great speed and great size. I would take a shot at him.

DeathbyStat
02-27-2008, 04:36 PM
Drew Carter got released by the Panthers. He has great speed and great size. I would take a shot at him.

Drew Carter has all the measureables he just can't seem to put it all together on the field.

Maybe with better coaching its possibal but I just don't know.

mikehop05
02-27-2008, 05:13 PM

your boy dwight smith isnt gonna be with us, he signed with detroit

skarocksoi
02-27-2008, 06:29 PM

That mock made me sad because all the good prospects I wanted in the second were already gone by the time we got to pick. The Bennett pick is so so, but if we take a WR, he better be a hell of a return man too. I like the Eddie Royal pick stiller has.

ryanrayne
02-27-2008, 10:12 PM
Kendrell Bell is now free...I know this was talked about before. Any chance the FO would take a sniff?

Mike Anderson was realeased by BALT... I know he's OLD, but still might have a year in him..

Height: 6-0 Weight: 230 Age: 34

Anderson spent two seasons with the Ravens, gaining 245 yards rushing and scoring one touchdown. He also had 13 catches for 80 yards.

The former NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year rushed for 3,822 yards and 36 touchdowns during six seasons with the Denver Broncos. He signed a four-year, $8 million contract with Baltimore in 2006 that included a $2 million signing bonus.

How about CB Andre Dyson from the Jets? He sucked this past year, but was pretty productive in past years with the Titans. He might be losing his mojo

brat316
02-27-2008, 10:18 PM
u listed guys that u want to get and then gave reason why not to get them. Like Dyson losing his mojo, and Anderson have a pretty bad year. Bell is at 30 and seems to have lost something.

steel man
02-27-2008, 10:38 PM
what about Ty Law?....would he be worth taking a chance on or is he to old, i did not get to see much of him the past couple of years and do not know if he would be worth it or not.

steel man
02-27-2008, 10:43 PM
Kendrell Bell is now free...I know this was talked about before. Any chance the FO would take a sniff?

Mike Anderson was realeased by BALT... I know he's OLD, but still might have a year in him..

Height: 6-0 Weight: 230 Age: 34

Anderson spent two seasons with the Ravens, gaining 245 yards rushing and scoring one touchdown. He also had 13 catches for 80 yards.

The former NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year rushed for 3,822 yards and 36 touchdowns during six seasons with the Denver Broncos. He signed a four-year, $8 million contract with Baltimore in 2006 that included a $2 million signing bonus.

How about CB Andre Dyson from the Jets? He sucked this past year, but was pretty productive in past years with the Titans. He might be losing his mojo

i love Kendrell bell when he played for us but the whole reason for letting him go was that he got hurt to much and to often, so i would be to afraid that it would be a waste of money and as far as Anderson goes either you are not a long Steeler fan or not a true Steeler fan because if you was you would remember Duce and Kevin Barrlow to old backs that had good years before joining the Steelers and then ending up being a waste of money.

mikehop05
02-28-2008, 12:42 AM
all you guys, give it up with the FA's

we build our teams through drafts, the way it should be.. the way it works

theres not a player in FA right now that would fit well for our team at this point.. we might sign a couple mid to low level guys... but no big names... nothing substantial

DeathbyStat
02-28-2008, 05:08 AM

theres not a player in FA right now that would fit well for our team at this point.. we might sign a couple mid to low level guys... but no big names... nothing substantial

You couldn't be more right

steel man
02-28-2008, 01:03 PM

You couldn't be more right

the only one i asked about was TY Law, we always sign some help at certain positions and i was just thinking that was one place that we needed some help and with coach being a expert at the DB position he could use some vet. help if we could get him cheap enough as far as the others go if you read what i posted i said that i did not think we would sign any of the other FA that were talked about.......plus you have to remember that we have a new coach and even though we have the same front office the coach still helps make decisions, so having said that we will have to wait and see how it is done now, it may change some.

terribletowel39
02-28-2008, 01:34 PM
the only one i asked about was TY Law, we always sign some help at certain positions and i was just thinking that was one place that we needed some help and with coach being a expert at the DB position he could use some vet. help if we could get him cheap enough as far as the others go if you read what i posted i said that i did not think we would sign any of the other FA that were talked about.......plus you have to remember that we have a new coach and even though we have the same front office the coach still helps make decisions, so having said that we will have to wait and see how it is done now, it may change some.
we have a coach in our backfield already and his name is Deshea Townsend he knows that defense almost better than Dick does. Ty Law is slower than James Farrior nowadays maybe even Kirschke. he is fat. and is really just not even close to the player he used to be.

also, why do you think we need help in that area?? did we not have the #1 defense in the league and #1 pass defense?? Ike Taylor played like a main possessed and whoever lines up for the other spot is good enough.

brat316
02-28-2008, 01:44 PM
v for vendetta

terribletowel39
02-28-2008, 01:55 PM
thats really random but yes. *high five*

steel man
02-28-2008, 02:25 PM
we have a coach in our backfield already and his name is Deshea Townsend he knows that defense almost better than Dick does. Ty Law is slower than James Farrior nowadays maybe even Kirschke. he is fat. and is really just not even close to the player he used to be.

also, why do you think we need help in that area?? did we not have the #1 defense in the league and #1 pass defense?? Ike Taylor played like a main possessed and whoever lines up for the other spot is good enough.

i think we need help because we always can get passed on and we always give up the big play, and as far as Ike goes he only had 3 INT's and if i am not mistaken we had the lowest number of INT's in the NFL, so thats why i think we need and up grade plus everyone of you on here want us to draft Flowers for help and i am not saying Law would be an upgrade but it would be some vet. help for in the nickle and dime packages.

terribletowel39
02-28-2008, 02:31 PM
we obviously can not always get passed on. and i think most people here want Flowers because he would be an upgrade, not because he would be another CB. Law wouldn't do anything but get burnt by slot WR's and miss tackles from RB's out of the backfield.

i'm not jumping on you, i'm just giving my opinion that i think it is a bad idea. he wouldn't be worth the minimum in my opinion.

mikehop05
02-28-2008, 04:32 PM
our problem was more in the pass rush than anything else...

also will we get any comp picks this year or next?

i forget how they work

skarocksoi
02-28-2008, 05:05 PM
It depends on the FA's we let go and the contracts they sign. I think its the FA's we let go last year. So Joey Porter. I cant think of anyone else. It might also depend on their production. Something along those lines.

Hines
02-28-2008, 05:16 PM
Recently released Shane Oliva is a dude I am really interested. He was a solid guy on that line, and would be good for our line. I could honestly, if we somehow signed him, only going with one lineman during the draft.

If we signed Oliva, 2009 offensive line:

LT: Starks
LG: Albert or Benedict
C: Simmons or Stapleton
RG: Colon
RT Olivia

We could also draft another guy like James Blair or Jeremy Zuttah as depth for plenty of positions, but if we signed one stable, young, expierenced guy, we could possibly go BPA with need the whole draft. It would be a good plan to take a shot at him, but I am not expecting it to happen.

Oh and for the record and the win, I would rather have Andre Dyson at this point then Ty Law.

Jakey
02-28-2008, 05:48 PM
^ I dont know if any1 realised this, but Chris Kemoeatu was highly touted coming out of college...IIRC he was projected as a round 2-3 prospect, and was actually graded higher than Logan Mankins. Why has every1 given up on him??? He is deffinately the mold of a Steelers lineman, he is huge (345lbs) and plays with one hell of a nasty streak. I think he will fill in great next year, and that means we can hold off drafting on OG early this year, and take full advantage of the deep class.

EDIT: Between Kemo, Simmons, Colon, Stapleton, Mahan and a draft pick(or two)...i say we will be able to field a pretty dominant interior line next year.

terribletowel39
02-28-2008, 05:54 PM
i think most don't mention him anymore because it seems the coaching staff has given up on him. everyone on these boards used to type in caps that Kemo should replace suckass Simmons. nothing ever happened, not that i expect Steelers coaching staff to read these but you figure they see the same **** we see. atleast try something else. who cares if Kemo sucks in practice if that is the reason they never play him. try him in the game atleast. if my memory serves me correctly he did extremely well in the game or two that he has played in place of Simmons over the past two seasons.

steelersfan27
02-28-2008, 06:05 PM
i think the guards are set but we definitely need an upgrade at center.

mikehop05
02-28-2008, 06:56 PM
^ I dont know if any1 realised this, but Chris Kemoeatu was highly touted coming out of college...IIRC he was projected as a round 2-3 prospect, and was actually graded higher than Logan Mankins. Why has every1 given up on him??? He is deffinately the mold of a Steelers lineman, he is huge (345lbs) and plays with one hell of a nasty streak. I think he will fill in great next year, and that means we can hold off drafting on OG early this year, and take full advantage of the deep class.

EDIT: Between Kemo, Simmons, Colon, Stapleton, Mahan and a draft pick(or two)...i say we will be able to field a pretty dominant interior line next year.

yeah i agree but i think it was more politics and pride than anything

simmons was just given the extension so they didnt wanna bench him

and i mean faneca is faneca so...

TheWood56
02-28-2008, 10:54 PM
It depends on the FA's we let go and the contracts they sign. I think its the FA's we let go last year. So Joey Porter. I cant think of anyone else. It might also depend on their production. Something along those lines.

If you're gonna get a comp pick for a player, I'm pretty sure you get it 2 years after you lose that certian player. Like if we lose Faneca this off season, I think we'll get a comp pick for him in 2010, not 2009. I always thought it was just the year after, though pretty sure someone said it was 2 years after. So I'm not 100% sure. Also, we won't get a comp pick for Porter either, we cut him.

TheWood56
02-28-2008, 11:17 PM

I'm not giving up on Kemo yet. I recently watched the Steelers/Ravens game where the Steelers blew up the Ravens 38-3, and I specifically watched the end of the game where Kemo came on for Simmons and Timmons came on for Foote on the last drive. I keyed in on Kemo, as the Steelers were just trying to run the clock out, and I tell you what, he's a beast. He's just a straight up mauler. He was blowing people off the ball. He impressed me when he was in the game, though unfortunately Mahan was getting driven into the backfield like every play, except for the plays where he got help from either Faneca or Kemo. Colon was also pretty impressive aswell next to Kemo. I know it doesn't really mean much, as the game was basically over and the Steelers just blew the Ravens out of the water, though still, he was pretty impressive for a team who couldn't really run the ball and who had to face a stacked box basically every play.

Oh, and if you want to know how Timmons went, he was on the field for 5 snaps. 3 of which he blitzed on. The 1st time he blitzed, Boller got rid of the ball literally straight away, so you couldn't really tell if he was gonna penetrate. The other 2 times he blitz, he got right up in Boller's grill, got his hands up in his face, and applied decent pressure both times. Those 2 plays were pretty impressive on his part considering he was the only guy getting through and getting any pressure. The other 2 plays he was in coverage. 1 of the times he was in coverage, looked like zone coverage, he was out of the screen, and Boller threw it to the other side anyways. The other time he was in coverage, he was covering the slot receiver, and you had a pretty good view of him in coverage aswell. Basically, he was all over his man. I think the guy ran like a 10 yard in route or something, and Timmons was just all over him and basically jumped the route on the cut it looked like. You had a good view of it because the reciever Boller threw it to was maybe 10 yards or so up the field ahead of him, and it was incomplete as G-a-y was in pretty good coverage actually. Pretty sure he got his hands on the ball aswell and dropped the pick, though it was a pretty tough catch. But yeah, G-a-y had good coverage and forced the incomplete and nearly came away with a pick.

Anyways, thought some might be interested in hearing that.

TheWood56
02-29-2008, 05:51 AM
Some league news:

- The Dolphins have signed OG Justin Smiley (49ers)
- The 49ers have signed LB Dontarrious Thomas (Vikings)
- The Texans have re-signed WR Andre Davis
- The Saints have traded for LB Jonathan Vilma (Jets)
- The Browns have traded for DT Corey Williams (Green Bay)
- The Patriots have re-signed WR Kelly Washington
- The Raiders have re-signed DT Tommy Kelly, making him the highest paid DT in the league.

TheWood56
02-29-2008, 05:58 AM
WTF are the Raiders thinking? Making the average Tommy Kelly the highest paid DT in the entire league, and he is coming off of an ACL injury aswell. I just don't know WTF Al Davis is thinking. The contract he and his agent probably would have wanted wouldn't have made him anywhere near the highest paid player at his position I'd imagine, yet somehow he is now. That's a horrible re-signing for the Raiders at that price. Kelly and his agent must be laughing all the way to the bank right now.

TheWood56
02-29-2008, 06:05 AM
Also, the Jets just traded their 3rd and 5th round draft picks to the Panthers for DT Kris Jenkins.