PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Off Season/Draft Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9

TheWood56
02-29-2008, 06:24 AM
Thought I'd keep my chain of posts going with the news of Lorenzo Neal being cut by the Chargers. I heard this a few hours ago but forgot to post it, so some of you may know this already, along with the news of Andre Davis getting re-signed by the Texans, because pretty sure I heard that a few hours ago along with the Neal getting cut news. Pretty sure all the other stuff's new though. :D

brat316
02-29-2008, 08:07 AM
Remeber Terrell Sands from last year and AL Davis. AL Davis what is he doing, hopefully he put like a buy out or option or something in there.

DeathbyStat
02-29-2008, 08:11 AM
Recently released Shane Oliva is a dude I am really interested. He was a solid guy on that line, and would be good for our line. I could honestly, if we somehow signed him, only going with one lineman during the draft.

If we signed Oliva, 2009 offensive line:

LT: Starks
LG: Albert or Benedict
C: Simmons or Stapleton
RG: Colon
RT Olivia

We could also draft another guy like James Blair or Jeremy Zuttah as depth for plenty of positions, but if we signed one stable, young, expierenced guy, we could possibly go BPA with need the whole draft. It would be a good plan to take a shot at him, but I am not expecting it to happen.

Oh and for the record and the win, I would rather have Andre Dyson at this point then Ty Law.

This sounds like a good plan....i like taking Benedict later or Albert early so we can focuse on playmakers the rest of the way.

DeathbyStat
02-29-2008, 08:25 AM
WTF are the Raiders thinking? Making the average Tommy Kelly the highest paid DT in the entire league, and he is coming off of an ACL injury aswell. I just don't know WTF Al Davis is thinking. The contract he and his agent probably would have wanted wouldn't have made him anywhere near the highest paid player at his position I'd imagine, yet somehow he is now. That's a horrible re-signing for the Raiders at that price. Kelly and his agent must be laughing all the way to the bank right now.

I don't know seems dumb to me....perhaps they'll target Mcfadden or Gholston in the draft...or Jake Long its really a crap shoot.

Corey Williams to Cleveland that sucks

Hines
02-29-2008, 01:40 PM
Hell, why dont we sign Jacob Bell or Jake Scott and Shane Olivea. That then we can go BPA the whole draft and get playmakers.

Mr. Stiller
02-29-2008, 04:29 PM
Give me Chaun Thompson, Jacob Bell and A DL

Kevin Carter, Anthony Hargrove, Spencer Johnson, Darrion Scott, Josh Shaw, Tyler Brayton..........

mikehop05
02-29-2008, 04:51 PM

Kevin Carter, Anthony Hargrove, Spencer Johnson, Darrion Scott, Josh Shaw, Tyler Brayton..........

i only really like brayton, and only if he can be got cheaply

DeathbyStat
02-29-2008, 05:12 PM
Hell, why dont we sign Jacob Bell or Jake Scott and Shane Olivea. That then we can go BPA the whole draft and get playmakers.

That would be optimum

mikehop05
02-29-2008, 05:14 PM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_554808.html

we gave 2nd round tenders to washington and kemo

3rd to essex

terribletowel39
02-29-2008, 05:31 PM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_554808.html

we gave 2nd round tenders to washington and kemo

3rd to essex
how dare you leave out Gregory Warren??!!

Hines
02-29-2008, 07:15 PM
J Peezy might be cut by the Fins. While I wouldnt waste money on him now, I would bring him in as someone to fire up the troops and kick ass again. He could be a situational pass rusher for us but not start. Just a suggestion, I am not saying to go out and sign him, but it would be nice for him to finish his career here.

TheWood56
02-29-2008, 11:51 PM
This sounds like a good plan....i like taking Benedict later or Albert early so we can focuse on playmakers the rest of the way.

I'd personally rather Chilo Rachel or John Greco to Heath Benedict.

TheWood56
02-29-2008, 11:56 PM
I don't know seems dumb to me....perhaps they'll target Mcfadden or Gholston in the draft...or Jake Long its really a crap shoot.

Corey Williams to Cleveland that sucks

Yeah, that's just stupid money to throw at Kelly IMO, and it's not just stupid because he's an average player, it's stupid because of the fact that he's coming off of an ACL injury aswell. I have no idea how Kelly got that contract, because surely he and his agent wouldn't have been demanding anywhere near the money that would make him the highest paid DT in the league.

And yeah, Williams to Cleveland sucks. He's a good player IMO and will really help out their DL and defense as a whole.

TheWood56
02-29-2008, 11:59 PM

I don't really want Jake Scott honestly, and I didn't really want Ryan Lilja either. I just don't think Scott or any of the Colts linemen would fit into our offensive scheme, as I kinda think to a certain extent that they're a product of the Colts system. I'd welcome Bell with open arms though and wouldn't mind Olivea either.

TheWood56
03-01-2008, 12:02 AM

I'd be more then happy with that. Jacob Bell, Chaun Thompson, Marques Douglas, Bobby McCray and Derrick Ward are the guys I'd love to see here in Pittsburgh and think they could realy help out this football team. This is highly unlikely though and I see us signing maybe 2 lower tier FA's unfortunately.

TheWood56
03-01-2008, 12:03 AM
how dare you leave out Gregory Warren??!!

Warren, now that guys a good long snapper. And I'm serious. :D

TheWood56
03-01-2008, 12:05 AM
J Peezy might be cut by the Fins. While I wouldnt waste money on him now, I would bring him in as someone to fire up the troops and kick ass again. He could be a situational pass rusher for us but not start. Just a suggestion, I am not saying to go out and sign him, but it would be nice for him to finish his career here.

I know what you're saying, though it's not gonna happen. I can't really see him being cut, and if he does, he's not gonna come back here for back up money either. There's more of a possibilty that we re-sign Haggans and bring him back to play a back up role.

mikehop05
03-01-2008, 12:44 AM

zzzz. no.

stop it.

please.

mikehop05
03-01-2008, 12:45 AM
I'd personally rather Chilo Rachel or John Greco to Heath Benedict.

i like rachel a lot...

hes got a lot to play for

TheWood56
03-01-2008, 01:11 AM
Well, the Browns have just got better on defense. They traded for Corey Williams, and have now traded for Shaun Rogers. The Browns traded CB Bodden and a 3rd round draft pick to the Lions for DT Rogers. Thing is though, it's going to be a very boring draft for Browns fans, as they have no 1st round draft pick (Brady Quinn), no 2nd round draft pick (Corey Williams), and now no 3rd round draft pick (Shaun Rogers).

Also, Isaac Bruce has signed with the 49ers.

brat316
03-01-2008, 01:26 AM
Well the browns went with the win now approach and instead of drafting for draft pool they justed drafted vets. Except Quinn.

TheWood56
03-01-2008, 02:20 AM
Raiders have signed safety Gibril Wilson (Giants).

Hines
03-01-2008, 03:23 AM
The Browns front gets better, but their secondary is suspect. They will probably be like the Vikings, great against the run, bad against the pass. Should be fun this year playing them.

Jakey
03-01-2008, 09:28 AM
New Mock

Tade back with someone (i dont know who yet)...for an extra 2nd and 4th :D

2: Sam Baker - LT - USC
2: Brandon Flowers - CB - Virginia Tech
3: Red Bryant - DE - Texas A&M
4: Beau Bell - ILB - UNLV
4: Eric Young - OG/OT - Tennessee
5: Keenan Burton - WR - Kentucky
6: Chase Ortiz - OLB/ST - TCU

Please ask if you have got any questions...i am particulaly interested in your opinions of Sam Baker. Thanks yall!

ryanrayne
03-01-2008, 10:04 AM
I agree with you Hines. The Browns D will be better against the run, but they will get killed by the play action. The AFC North has good runners wich is what Romeo would like to stop. Cincy/Pgh and if Baltimore can generate a pass offense..the Browns will be hurting.

Hines
03-01-2008, 10:08 AM
Im interested in Daryl Blackstock, recently untendered by the Cards. He will be a good pass rusher if given a chance.

DeathbyStat
03-01-2008, 10:12 AM
The Browns front gets better, but their secondary is suspect. They will probably be like the Vikings, great against the run, bad against the pass. Should be fun this year playing them.

They are putting alot of faith in Eric Wright.

One of their remaining picks in the draft will be a corner plus they might sign someone.

Hines
03-01-2008, 10:53 AM
They are putting alot of faith in Eric Wright.

One of their remaining picks in the draft will be a corner plus they might sign someone.

Eric Wright did well last year, but at the number 2 spot. I dont know how well he will covering the Moss', Owens', Harrisons' of the world. I could see them getting a speedy reciever and could start Daven Holley or McDonald. But, their secondary will be suspect, so I think teams will be able to pass all day on them.

mikehop05
03-01-2008, 12:08 PM
as expected...

steelers arnt doing a damn thing in FA.

good stuff.

Santonio10
03-01-2008, 03:25 PM
as expected...

steelers arnt doing a damn thing in FA.

good stuff.

Yeah its not like we every do anyway. We like to get better through the draft and hey it seems to be working so im fine with that.

Hines
03-01-2008, 05:01 PM
I want to sign some damn free agents. The Clowns are getting better everyday and we are not. This is a problem as we cant let the damn Browns take our crown.

mikehop05
03-01-2008, 06:12 PM
I want to sign some damn free agents. The Clowns are getting better everyday and we are not. This is a problem as we cant let the damn Browns take our crown.

yeah cuz we all know signing a bunch of free agents automatically means success...

this isnt madden, you cant just buy some players and win..

steelersfan27
03-01-2008, 06:20 PM
New Mock

Tade back with someone (i dont know who yet)...for an extra 2nd and 4th :D

2: Sam Baker - LT - USC
2: Brandon Flowers - CB - Virginia Tech
3: Red Bryant - DE - Texas A&M
4: Beau Bell - ILB - UNLV
4: Eric Young - OG/OT - Tennessee
5: Keenan Burton - WR - Kentucky
6: Chase Ortiz - OLB/ST - TCU

Please ask if you have got any questions...i am particulaly interested in your opinions of Sam Baker. Thanks yall!

we'd be lucky to see flowers at 23.

Hines
03-01-2008, 07:09 PM
yeah cuz we all know signing a bunch of free agents automatically means success...

this isnt madden, you cant just buy some players and win..

I am not saying that. I am saying that it wouldnt hurt to throw money at a player that fits a need. Just go after free agents and I bet the players would want to come here.

brat316
03-01-2008, 11:01 PM
How about tall WR FA, E. Wilford.

mikehop05
03-02-2008, 12:44 AM
How about tall WR FA, E. Wilford.

zzz..

already signed with miami

TheWood56
03-02-2008, 01:19 AM
OMG, some Steelers FA news!!! :eek:

We're apparently interested in Bengals LB Landon Johnson.

Wow, what a signing he'd be. He'd just put us over the top and make us early SB favorites. ;)

TheWood56
03-02-2008, 06:48 AM
Not really breaking news, but haven't seen it posted yet, so:

-The Browns have signed WR Donte Stallworth (Patriots). I've heard it's a 7yr deal, for 35m, with 10m guaranteed.

Pretty big contract for an average WR I'd say who can't seem to stay with any team for more then a couple of seasons. If it wasn't for so much money, yeah, it would be a pretty good signing, though at that price, that's a horrible signing in my opinion.

Jakey
03-02-2008, 06:51 AM
^ Man that sig stinks! I'll make you a new one soon :)

TheWood56
03-02-2008, 07:04 AM
Im interested in Daryl Blackstock, recently untendered by the Cards. He will be a good pass rusher if given a chance.

I wouldn't mind Calvin Pace honestly. I didn't think he played too bad last season, and think he'd be a pretty good addition here. He'd fill a couple of needs, being good OLB depth, and also playing ST's, where we also need some help. I'd be more then happy if the Steelers signed him, if it was for the right price of course. He may be looking for a starting position though, so he'd more then likely demand that kind of money on the open market and would most likely price himself out of our price range unfortunately.

The one guy I'd love to sign though would be Bobby McCray from the Jags. I really like him as a player and think he's a great pass rusher. I think he'd do wonders for our pass rush here, though I'd say he's easily out of our price range, as I'd imagine he'd be looking for a starting position aswell and will probably demand that kind of contract. I'd imagine a few teams around the league would want his services though as I think he played great last season and is only going to get better as he's still relatively young. I think he'll be a great addition to whoever picks him up, and I just wish we had some room under the cap to make a play for him.

TheWood56
03-02-2008, 07:05 AM
^ Man that sig stinks! I'll make you a new one soon :)

Sounds good man. This is the only one I have. :(

DeathbyStat
03-02-2008, 08:19 AM

Wow, what a signing he'd be. He'd just put us over the top and make us early SB favorites. ;)

Can he play special teams?

mikehop05
03-02-2008, 12:15 PM
Can he play special teams?

he better, prolly wont see the field any other way

Smooth Criminal
03-02-2008, 03:56 PM
WILSON THE NEXT PAT TO GO?

With cornerbacks Asante Samuel and Randall *** already gone from the Patriots, another defensive back could soon be following the trail out of town.

Specifically, free-agent safety Eugene Wilson is lining up visits.

According to Adam Schefter of NFL Network, Wilson will pay a visit to the Tampa toga party on Sunday. He'll thereafter visit with the Steelers and the Titans.

Wilson has spent five seasons with the Pats. After appearing in every game but one during his first three years, Wilson played in only four games in 2006, starting all four of them, and eleven in 2007, starting six.

From PFT. I wouldn't mind him getting a shot at the starting job. If we can sign him cheap enough he'd be great to have for depth at safety.

Smooth Criminal
03-02-2008, 03:57 PM

I wouldn't like this signing at all. His only real purpose would be on special teams and we can get guys that can play special teams way cheaper than he'll come.

mikehop05
03-02-2008, 04:33 PM
WILSON THE NEXT PAT TO GO?

With cornerbacks Asante Samuel and Randall *** already gone from the Patriots, another defensive back could soon be following the trail out of town.

Specifically, free-agent safety Eugene Wilson is lining up visits.

According to Adam Schefter of NFL Network, Wilson will pay a visit to the Tampa toga party on Sunday. He'll thereafter visit with the Steelers and the Titans.

Wilson has spent five seasons with the Pats. After appearing in every game but one during his first three years, Wilson played in only four games in 2006, starting all four of them, and eleven in 2007, starting six.

From PFT. I wouldn't mind him getting a shot at the starting job. If we can sign him cheap enough he'd be great to have for depth at safety.

yeah, i wonder if clark will be healthy this season..

skarocksoi
03-02-2008, 05:00 PM
yeah, i wonder if clark will be healthy this season..

Have we heard any word on him at all? I haven't seen a thing good or bad. If he can't go this season, picking up a veteran safety would be a good idea, otherwise I dont think we really need it.

TheWood56
03-02-2008, 05:36 PM
he better, prolly wont see the field any other way

Yeah, he better be able to play ST's if we end up signing.

TheWood56
03-02-2008, 05:37 PM
The Falcons have signed RB Michael Turner (Chargers).

TheWood56
03-02-2008, 05:42 PM
Sure everyone must know this by now, but thought I'd just put it out there:

- Vikings signed WR Bernard Berrian (Bears)
- Bills trade 3rd and 5th to Jags for DT Marcus Stroud

Just in case someone hasn't heard it yet, I got your back. :cool:

DeathbyStat
03-02-2008, 06:06 PM
Mort on espn just said that the Browns are poised for a Super Bowl run.

I have never laughed harder in my life.

They sure have improved....i bet alot of publications will pick them to win our division.

Hell I'm thinking about it.

mikehop05
03-02-2008, 06:53 PM
Mort on espn just said that the Browns are poised for a Super Bowl run.

I have never laughed harder in my life.

They sure have improved....i bet alot of publications will pick them to win our division.

Hell I'm thinking about it.

mort... hahahaha

hes almost as dumb as sean salsibury

TheWood56
03-02-2008, 07:13 PM
The Titans have signed TE Alge Crumpler (Falcons).

Also, unfortunately, I think the Saints have signed DE Bobby McCray (Jags). I say unfortunately because I wanted the Steelers to sign him, even though I know we wouldn't have even looked at him. :(

brat316
03-02-2008, 08:01 PM
well at least we are making one move, signing Ben to a big contract.

mikehop05
03-02-2008, 09:34 PM
well at least we are making one move, signing Ben to a big contract.

dare i say..

best move of the offseason?

Mr. Stiller
03-02-2008, 10:05 PM
Question is...

Would Ben sign about 7.5-10M Less to sign a complimentary player.

Word is 8 for 90M for Ben. Would he sign 8 for 80-82.5 to sign a player like Randy Moss?

Ruken
03-03-2008, 12:23 AM
its gonna be close between us and you guys next year. Your schedule is slightly harder but it should come down to the wire. Im looking forward to it its very refreshing having meaningful browns steelers games again.. BTW what are you guys going to do to replace to losses on your O-line?

brat316
03-03-2008, 12:27 AM
its gonna be close between us and you guys next year. Your schedule is slightly harder but it should come down to the wire. Im looking forward to it its very refreshing having meaningful browns steelers games again.. BTW what are you guys going to do to replace to losses on your O-line?

its a secret cant tell u

TheWood56
03-03-2008, 12:33 AM
The Jets and the Bengals have apparently agreed to a deal that would send DT Dewayne Robertson to the Bengals in exchange for their 4th and 5th round draft picks.

Looks like both the Browns and the Bengals are upgrading (trying to anyways) their DL, while it looks like the Steelers have down graded their OL.

Mr. Stiller
03-03-2008, 05:06 AM
The Jets and the Bengals have apparently agreed to a deal that would send DT Dewayne Robertson to the Bengals in exchange for their 4th and 5th round draft picks.

Looks like both the Browns and the Bengals are upgrading (trying to anyways) their DL, while it looks like the Steelers have down graded their OL.

That was a steal for the Bengals

TheWood56
03-03-2008, 05:44 AM
It's fun to stay at the Y.M.C.A. Why? Why do you ask? Because Ben just signed for 8yrs, $102m, $36m guaranteed.

Yes, that's right, I said it. I stay at the Y.M.C.A, and it's fun aswell, but that's besides the point. The point is that we have a franchise QB for the next 8 years!!! :D

steel man
03-03-2008, 08:02 AM
It's fun to stay at the Y.M.C.A. Why? Why do you ask? Because Ben just signed for 8yrs, $102m, $36m guaranteed.

Yes, that's right, I said it. I stay at the Y.M.C.A, and it's fun aswell, but that's besides the point. The point is that we have a franchise QB for the next 8 years!!! :D

where did you hear that at?

steel man
03-03-2008, 08:07 AM
i just heard it on ESPN radio....awsome.....i am so happy

Jakey
03-03-2008, 08:14 AM
Ye this is a great move...im expecting even bigger things from Ben next year.

brat316
03-03-2008, 08:31 AM
Man that is crazy i thought it would be a little longer for 102 million, but still our first offseason move, hopefully this leads us to bigger things.

glennjamen3
03-03-2008, 09:56 AM
I love the Big Ben deal... I just hope he's willing to restructure it down the road if we ever need the cap space. I can't wait to see what he does with some protection. I really hate to see Faneca go but I'm happy as hell we didn't pay him the money that the jets did, merry christmas alan spend it well. Has anybody heard anything about us possibly signing Mewelde Moore??? Does that mean we send Davenport the byway?

ryanrayne
03-03-2008, 11:03 AM
Mewelde Moore-RB- Vikings Mar. 3 - 10:11 am et

The Steelers hosted free agent RB Mewelde Moore on Sunday, and "his signing appears imminent," according to ESPN's Michael Smith.

He'd be an upgrade over 2007 third-down option Verron Haynes and supply added punt and kick return value. The deal may be announced this afternoon.
Source: ESPN.com
Related: Steelers

Mr. Stiller
03-03-2008, 01:01 PM
Mewelde Moore-RB- Vikings Mar. 3 - 10:11 am et

The Steelers hosted free agent RB Mewelde Moore on Sunday, and "his signing appears imminent," according to ESPN's Michael Smith.

He'd be an upgrade over 2007 third-down option Verron Haynes and supply added punt and kick return value. The deal may be announced this afternoon.
Source: ESPN.com
Related: Steelers

I was looking forward to this.

DeathbyStat
03-03-2008, 01:26 PM
I was looking forward to this.

is he solid kick returner

Mr. Stiller
03-03-2008, 01:29 PM
is he solid kick returner

He's only returned 5 kicks in 3 years.

But he averages something like 10.5 Yards a punt return and is an exceptional receiving & Blocking RB.

It's official though.

3 Years: http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/breaking/s_555322.html

ryanrayne
03-03-2008, 02:20 PM
He didn't do a great deal of return work last year because of A P and Deaundrae Ellison

Steelers sign RB
Monday, March 03, 2008
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
The Steelers this afternoon signed running back Mewelde Moore, an unrestricted free agent from the Minnesota Vikings.

Moore, 25, is 5-11, 209 and will get a chance to return kickoffs and punts and to become their third-down back next season.

mikehop05
03-03-2008, 04:01 PM
whats this mean about najeh and gary's future?

CDub
03-03-2008, 04:29 PM
I think this means that Haynes is gone and Willie Reid is on notice.

I think next yr's backfield looks like this: Parker - Davenport - Moore - Russell

mikehop05
03-03-2008, 05:05 PM
im thinking dookie gets cut actually

moore signed a 3 year 5 mil contract...

and najeh is due to earn 1mil this season.. im thinkin hes gone

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

terribletowel39
03-03-2008, 05:35 PM
Dookie gone and Hester picked up to be the truest 3rd and short/goal back presently and later in the game let them have it. Let Moore return punts I guess, not a real big fan of this pick up. And let Russell spell Parker from time.

Smooth Criminal
03-03-2008, 05:38 PM
I think najeh is fine. He's in his last year of his deal I think so he'll probably just get let go after that.

Reid should be on the lookout. We have Bloom now too and well add another this offseason somewhere.

Mr. Stiller
03-03-2008, 06:19 PM
Dookie gone and Hester picked up to be the truest 3rd and short/goal back presently and later in the game let them have it. Let Moore return punts I guess, not a real big fan of this pick up. And let Russell spell Parker from time.

I'm not quite sure I understand this, but I doubt Jacob Hester could return Punts, and he's not nearly the receiver/speedster Moore is.

Moore is an exceptional blocking RB that makes plays more oft than not, just got buried.

He'll give us a viable return option and 3rd down back. He's a better receiver, blocker and rusher than Haynes was.

terribletowel39
03-03-2008, 06:36 PM
Yes, I was talking about Moore returning the punts. And Hester being the 3rd down back because he would be a better at it than Moore would. Speed is overrated. I'd be willing to bet a buttload of money that Hester gets the first down 10x more than Moore gets it regardless of the yardage needed.

It's like that one guys sig around here: "You can take the milk drinkers and I will take the whiskey drinkers everytime." or something like that. He just doesn't quit.

brat316
03-03-2008, 06:55 PM
At training camp there will be plenty of competition at Return spot, I think we might even draft someone.

Reid, Bloom, Moore, maybe one more person Dexter Jackson.

Reid didn't do to good when he was given the chance at returning, and he doesn't do to much as a WR anyways, so I doubt he makes it. Cut

Bloom I think he was just brought in to push Reid to do better, he got cut from Eagles and I think was with Denver next. He was out of football shape, maybe he can get it together, but in the end....

Moore might end up returning punts he did do pretty good two-three years back. I think 3rd down and change of pace Rb are going to be Davenport and Russel. He is a good receiver so maybe he might get lined up time to time in slot or back field on definite passing downs.

Drafted guy- who knows, maybe he ends up returning kicks along with Moore and ends up being the fifth or fourth WR.

But I do think Reid is going to get cut come either training camp or before that.

TheWood56
03-03-2008, 07:07 PM
Just heard that Calvin Pace (Cardinals) signed with the Jets for 6yrs, $42m, $22m guaranteed.

That's a pretty big contract for a guy who's somewhat unproven and has only really had one decent season, last season. I actually wanted him, as he's still relatively young and has some potential IMO, though not at that price.

Mr. Stiller
03-03-2008, 07:11 PM
Yes, I was talking about Moore returning the punts. And Hester being the 3rd down back because he would be a better at it than Moore would. Speed is overrated. I'd be willing to bet a buttload of money that Hester gets the first down 10x more than Moore gets it regardless of the yardage needed.

It's like that one guys sig around here: "You can take the milk drinkers and I will take the whiskey drinkers everytime." or something like that. He just doesn't quit.

I disagree. I think Hester is overrated. He's a slow, big heart RB. But he's not the end all be all RB that some make him out to be.

Speed is overrated? Speed is what this is all about. Does it matter if you get your yardage running over people or around them?

Maybe not, but at the same time, Mewelde averages 4.9yards per carry.. CAREER.

I don't care thats Impressive in the NFL.

TheWood56
03-03-2008, 09:18 PM
I agree that speed is definately not overrated. It's certainly not the be all, end all of a RB's abilities, but speed is a huge factor IMO. Look at Parker's long TD run in the SB. Was speed overrated then? Look at AD for the Vikings for example. He has some serious talent. He has great vision, great cutting ability, and also has great power. The thing about him is though, he's fast aswell, and that's what makes him great. If he gets to the 2nd level, there's a great chance that he takes it to the house, as he can run over DB's, or he can simply run right by them. Look at Devin Hester aswell. You can't tell me that his game speed is overrated. If he never had that speed, he probably doesn't even have a job in the NFL right now.

Hines
03-04-2008, 08:09 AM
The Steelers are hosting free agent DB Eugene Wilson for a visit on Tuesday, but are not expected to sign him.

The Steelers are tight up against the cap after extending their QB. "We'll see what happens," coach Mike Tomlin said. "Don't hold your breath, though."

Jakey
03-04-2008, 08:10 AM
^ Ye man...Max Starks's tender is taking up $7 million in cap space. So thats our free agency over.

terribletowel39
03-04-2008, 10:50 AM
I disagree. I think Hester is overrated. He's a slow, big heart RB. But he's not the end all be all RB that some make him out to be.

Speed is overrated? Speed is what this is all about. Does it matter if you get your yardage running over people or around them?

Maybe not, but at the same time, Mewelde averages 4.9yards per carry.. CAREER.

I don't care thats Impressive in the NFL.

I agree that speed is definately not overrated. It's certainly not the be all, end all of a RB's abilities, but speed is a huge factor IMO. Look at Parker's long TD run in the SB. Was speed overrated then? Look at AD for the Vikings for example. He has some serious talent. He has great vision, great cutting ability, and also has great power. The thing about him is though, he's fast aswell, and that's what makes him great. If he gets to the 2nd level, there's a great chance that he takes it to the house, as he can run over DB's, or he can simply run right by them. Look at Devin Hester aswell. You can't tell me that his game speed is overrated. If he never had that speed, he probably doesn't even have a job in the NFL right now.
Sorry guys, let me clarify. I agree with yall for the most part. I was saying speed is overrated when it comes to being a 3rd down and short/goal back, which is how I was talking about using Hester. When you need to put your head down and get 1 or 2 yards. Stiller, you can't say he is overrated in that department. He is the best in this draft at getting you a yard or two when you need it. In the Florida game, four 4th down and 1's and all four times they gave it to Hester. By the second one, don't you think that Florida was looking for Hester to get it, probably, but they still couldn't stop him. Maybe I am in the minority but I would love for him to be on the Steelers team. He is a guy like Heath Miller and when Heath Miller gets the ball in his hands (on the rare occasion) you know after he has made contact with a defender, it will be atleast another 2 or 3 yards before he is brought down.

Mr. Stiller
03-04-2008, 11:18 AM
Sorry guys, let me clarify. I agree with yall for the most part. I was saying speed is overrated when it comes to being a 3rd down and short/goal back, which is how I was talking about using Hester. When you need to put your head down and get 1 or 2 yards. Stiller, you can't say he is overrated in that department. He is the best in this draft at getting you a yard or two when you need it. In the Florida game, four 4th down and 1's and all four times they gave it to Hester. By the second one, don't you think that Florida was looking for Hester to get it, probably, but they still couldn't stop him. Maybe I am in the minority but I would love for him to be on the Steelers team. He is a guy like Heath Miller and when Heath Miller gets the ball in his hands (on the rare occasion) you know after he has made contact with a defender, it will be atleast another 2 or 3 yards before he is brought down.

Yeah but you can't say that Hester wasn't running behind one of the best OL's in college football..

The #1 LT, the #1-3 LG.. I mean, their C/RG could also be drafted as well.

Not to mention that Florida defensive front was terribly inexperienced losing 5 draft picks to the NFL last year. (4?)

terribletowel39
03-04-2008, 11:25 AM
Yes it is and was a very good O-line but you can see that Hester knows how to find the holes ,even if they are the smallest, that the O-line creates for him. He also has really good drive with his legs and can push a pile. And I would also like to think that even the worst of NFL lines are still better than the best college ones. I hope to god, even though it isn't out of the question, that LSU's O-Line isn't better than our O-Line. haha

vikes_28
03-04-2008, 11:52 AM
lucky boys in pittsburgh...you guys signed mewelde moore. when he is healthy he is an awesome player

mikehop05
03-04-2008, 12:43 PM
lucky boys in pittsburgh...you guys signed mewelde moore. when he is healthy he is an awesome player

glad to hear it

mikehop05
03-04-2008, 12:45 PM
Yes it is and was a very good O-line but you can see that Hester knows how to find the holes ,even if they are the smallest, that the O-line creates for him. He also has really good drive with his legs and can push a pile. And I would also like to think that even the worst of NFL lines are still better than the best college ones. I hope to god, even though it isn't out of the question, that LSU's O-Line isn't better than our O-Line. haha

is lsu's line that good?

steel man
03-04-2008, 12:46 PM
have you guys heard anyone going after and/or do you think anyone will go after Clark Haggans and if no one does do you think we will resign him cheap since he does know the system and he was a starter and to have him as a back up would be nice if it did not cost to much, what have you guys heard and what do you guys think about him as a cheap back up?

terribletowel39
03-04-2008, 12:54 PM
is lsu's line that good?
the left side is to college football what the vikings left side is to NFL. Herman Johnson is the biggest baby ever born in Louisiana, even bigger than Shaqs big ass. He is the LG. I think he stands at like 6'9 and 340-350. something like that. you really can't move him. they have there moments but when they are on, there isn't much you can do to them.

mikehop05
03-04-2008, 03:55 PM
have you guys heard anyone going after and/or do you think anyone will go after Clark Haggans and if no one does do you think we will resign him cheap since he does know the system and he was a starter and to have him as a back up would be nice if it did not cost to much, what have you guys heard and what do you guys think about him as a cheap back up?

thats the longest sentence ever

but no we wont resgin him for cheap, hes being looked at by the pats, jets, and a couple other teams

Mr. Stiller
03-04-2008, 04:03 PM

Agreed, but LSU doesn't see the DL's we do.

Hester is a decent player, but he's got pedestrian speed, and though he's a fighter, he's not exactly gifted with a Bruiser ability..

I mean, if you're going to go for a guy in that range, draft Peyton Hillis... Why?

Because he can be your Short Yardage back, your FB, He can return kicks, excellent receiver, is more explosive and is harder to tackle than Hester.

I'd rather get Hillis as that multi-faceted weapon in the 5th than Hester who is slower, weaker and smaller in the 6th.

ryanrayne
03-04-2008, 08:30 PM
Haven't heard about Haggans, but another former Steeler has found his way to the deser

Arizona also signed tight end Jerame Tuman to a two-year contract. He appeared in six games, one as a starter, for the Pittsburgh Steelers last season before going on injured reserve Nov. 14. Primarily a blocking tight end, he had spent his entire nine-year NFL career with Pittsburgh. He appeared in 121 games, 56 starts, with 43 catches for 500 yards and a touchdown. He also appeared in 10 postseason games with six starts. He caught seven passes for 57 yards and a touchdown in his playoff career.

Tuman was released by the Steelers on Feb. 8.

Ken Whisenhunt was offensive coordinator for the Steelers before being named head coach at Arizona a year ago.

Hines
03-04-2008, 08:48 PM
Clark Haggans was visiting the Cheaters, Browns(or Bengals, one of the two) and the Giants.

TheWood56
03-04-2008, 10:30 PM
Yeah, I heard Haggans was scheduled to visit the Pats and Browns I believe.

TheWood56
03-04-2008, 10:35 PM
On Hester, I think he's a great college player, and I actually really enjoyed watching him at LSU, though I have to question how he'll make the transition into the NFL. I think the best way to describe him would be to say he's just a football player. I'm just not sure if he's going to be one of those guys where he's great in college, though struggles at the next level. I guess we'll have to wait and see, though I did really like him in college, just not sure if he'll succeed in the NFL. Not saying he won't, not saying he will, just saying I'm not sure.

steel man
03-04-2008, 11:00 PM
i have said it all along get Owen Schmitt and you will have the best short yardage / fullback in the NFL. he is perfect for Pittsburgh. you tell me a team the he would fit better with and you tell me a player that would fit us better.

steel man
03-04-2008, 11:03 PM
he is use to blocking for a spead back, he can catch, and you will not bring him down on the 1st hit and he would be worth using a pick on if he would open up holes for Parker and if it cause Parker to get 3-5 more long TD runs then that could be a championship for us.

TheWood56
03-05-2008, 03:49 AM
Think I read somewhere that Haggans was to sign with Browns. Anyone else heard this?

steel man
03-05-2008, 09:00 AM
will Haggans still play outside if he goes to a team that plays a 4-3?

Mr. Stiller
03-05-2008, 09:08 AM
i have said it all along get Owen Schmitt and you will have the best short yardage / fullback in the NFL. he is perfect for Pittsburgh. you tell me a team the he would fit better with and you tell me a player that would fit us better.

Hillis.

Faster, better run blocker, more explosive, better receiver.

Owen Schmitt is a good FB, but Hillis is superior IMO.

Mr. Stiller
03-05-2008, 09:09 AM
will Haggans still play outside if he goes to a team that plays a 4-3?

He'd probably have to, not big or physical enough to handle end. Unless it were a Tampa2 like Scheme.

steel man
03-05-2008, 09:23 AM
He'd probably have to, not big or physical enough to handle end. Unless it were a Tampa2 like Scheme.

the reason i brought Haggans up is i have a feeling that no one will want him (and i understand why) and that we will end up signing him back and he will take the place of Clint Kriewaldt(since we let him go) on ST and as the #1 back up . just to set the record stright i am not a big fan of his and with us having Woodley there is no way that anyone should be starting except Woodley, but i have that feeling and i wanted to see if you guys think the same thing.

steel man
03-05-2008, 09:31 AM
Hillis.

Faster, better run blocker, more explosive, better receiver.

Owen Schmitt is a good FB, but Hillis is superior IMO.

i just like Owens toughness, and i went to every home game and ever since i saw this kid i was a fan. his toughness is one of a kind. his toughness is like the toughness that my favorite player of all time had - Jack Lambert - he has Jack Lambert toughness and i just like to see him punish people, it is a site to see. i had not saw much of Hillis but compared to Hester Schmitt is a tenth(0.1)of a sec slower but is a lot bigger and harder to bring down, so it is no question IMO that Schmitt would be a better pick then Hester, as far as Hillis goes the more i see of him i really like him also, but i can not help it i am an Owen Schmitt fan and want him in the Black and Gold.

DeathbyStat
03-05-2008, 11:09 AM
Haven't heard about Haggans, but another former Steeler has found his way to the deser

Arizona also signed tight end Jerame Tuman to a two-year contract. He appeared in six games, one as a starter, for the Pittsburgh Steelers last season before going on injured reserve Nov. 14. Primarily a blocking tight end, he had spent his entire nine-year NFL career with Pittsburgh. He appeared in 121 games, 56 starts, with 43 catches for 500 yards and a touchdown. He also appeared in 10 postseason games with six starts. He caught seven passes for 57 yards and a touchdown in his playoff career.

Tuman was released by the Steelers on Feb. 8.

Ken Whisenhunt was offensive coordinator for the Steelers before being named head coach at Arizona a year ago.

Arizona is our farm team

ryanrayne
03-05-2008, 11:19 AM
Back up written all over this guy

Steelers check out guard to replace Faneca
Wednesday, March 05, 2008
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Rex Hadnot, a 6-2, 325-pound starting guard from the Miami Dolphins, is visiting the Steelers today as an unrestricted free agent.

Hadnot started all 16 games for Miami last season.

The Steelers have a dire need at guard after the loss of Alan Faneca to the New York Jets in free agency. Chris Kemoeatu will replace Faneca at left guard; Kendall Simmons starts at right guard but there's no other experienced guard on their roster.

First published on March

Jakey
03-05-2008, 11:30 AM
Backup! I think if Max Starks resigns, Willie Colon will be moved to guard anyways. Simmons, Kemo, Colon, Mahan and a draft pick would be enough depth as it is. But i guess it couldnt hurt to have more O-Linemen.

mikehop05
03-05-2008, 11:38 AM
Arizona is our farm team

except that they beat us..

terribletowel39
03-05-2008, 11:48 AM
i don't know the truth to that article but i love hearing that Kemo will take over for Faneca. Not so much a fan of Simmons still have the starting RG spot. but whatever.

Mr. Stiller
03-05-2008, 02:43 PM
i just like Owens toughness, and i went to every home game and ever since i saw this kid i was a fan. his toughness is one of a kind. his toughness is like the toughness that my favorite player of all time had - Jack Lambert - he has Jack Lambert toughness and i just like to see him punish people, it is a site to see. i had not saw much of Hillis but compared to Hester Schmitt is a tenth(0.1)of a sec slower but is a lot bigger and harder to bring down, so it is no question IMO that Schmitt would be a better pick then Hester, as far as Hillis goes the more i see of him i really like him also, but i can not help it i am an Owen Schmitt fan and want him in the Black and Gold.

Schmitt is more physical a runner, true. But at the same time, he's going to be running against more powerful defenders. He lacks the initial speed and explosion to make a play. Hillis has that explosion to make it into the LB's where he can utilize his strength.

SteelCityNightmare
03-05-2008, 02:50 PM
Rex Hadnot also has experience at center. May not be a bad pick up.

Mr. Stiller
03-05-2008, 03:02 PM
Rex Hadnot also has experience at center. May not be a bad pick up.

No he wouldn't.. I talked about it on another site.

Should be fairly cheap (2-3M a year I'm thinking).

Played C all of 2006.

He's not going to drive anyone often, but he can hold the point and he is great on the move.

Jakey
03-05-2008, 03:09 PM
Im guessing no rook is gonna be starting on the o-line next season (bar injuries)...so out of the guys we have got, what do you think the depth chart would look like on the O-Line???

My guess would be...

LT: Marvel Smith - Max Starks - Trai Essex
LG: Kendall Simmons - Willie Colon - Sean Mahan
C: Darnell Stapleton - Willie Colon - Sean Mahan
RG: Chris Kemoeatu - Willie Colon - Sean Mahan
RT: Max Starks - Willie Colon - Jason Capizzi

terribletowel39
03-05-2008, 03:16 PM
Kemo on the left and Simmons on the right would probably be correct but i hope and pray, and i'm not even religious, that Colon beats out Simmons. he is worthless against anything that can bench press 100 lbs.

Jakey
03-05-2008, 03:50 PM
^ Lol i'll second that. The only reason i put Kemo at right guard is, he is too slow to pull and trap which is usually the job of the LG...and he is strong enough to take on the big nose tackles, which usually line up over the RG. I think Colon could be a better guard than Simmons ever has been, and i wouldnt be suprised to see him get a shot at playing guard in training camp.

Jakey
03-05-2008, 03:52 PM
In fact my ideal line would be...

LT: Chris Williams/Sam Baker etc... (round1)
LG: Chilo Rachal (round2)
C: Willie Colon
RG: Chris Kemoeatu
RT: Max Starks

That would be a monster O-Line, the lightest player would be Rachal at 315lbs!!!

Hines
03-05-2008, 04:00 PM
Hadnot would be a good pick up in my opinion. Way better then Mahan actually. I am kinda dissapointed that we didnt give Eugene Wilson a contract at the visit. I hope we do because we could use him.

Jakey
03-05-2008, 04:02 PM
Hadnot would be a good pick up in my opinion. Way better then Mahan actually. I am kinda dissapointed that we didnt give Eugene Wilson a contract at the visit. I hope we do because we could use him.

We havnt got the cap space bro, apparently we had to restructure some contracts just to get Big Ben and MeMo signed.

Hines
03-05-2008, 04:04 PM
We havnt got the cap space bro, apparently we had to restructure some contracts just to get Big Ben and MeMo signed.

**** it then, release Mahan, Ced, and Carter and then we will have cap room.

CDub
03-05-2008, 04:54 PM
For the record - I don't want anyone who has had any association whatsoever with the Dolphins, especially their o-line! Over the last three years the Dolphins have had the second worst o-line in the NFL (second only to the Texans). We all know what happened last yr when we picked up a FA from a team with a bad o-line....WE GOT SEAN MAHAN!!!!! We better not sign this guy or I'll be pissed. Seriously, it's like driving down a road and hitting a huge pothole that blows your tire and throws your allignment out of whack, then driving down that road again and hitting the same freakin pothole! Wasn't the scouting report on Mahan last yr the same as the one for Hadnot.....

Jakey
03-05-2008, 05:08 PM
The following are a list of players who i believe are a waste of roster room/cap space...

Charlie Batch, Tyrone Carter, Ryan Clark, Marquis Cooper, Nejeh Davenport, Nick Eason, Andre Frazier, Arnold Harrison, Travis Kirschke, Sean Mahan, Willie Reid, Deshea Townsend and Cedrick Wilson.

You will notice, barring Townsend (age/cost) and Mahan (crappyness/money), that these are all backups/special teams players. That obviously shows our most glaring weaknesses...special teams, and lack of depth. With that in mind, i thought i would do a breakdown of our depth by position.

QB: Big Ben, Charlie Batch, Brian St Pierre, Jared Zabransky (Top 5 starter, Batch is a trusted veteren, Frenchy is gone, Zebransky is an interesting player...a developmental type who could eventually be the top backup)

Overall depth: B (Elite starter, but depth could be improved)

FB: Carey Davis, Dan Kreider, Billy Latsko (Davis was servicable this year...but he could be upgraded, Kreider is coming off a serious knee injury and he is likely not returning, Latsko is just camp fodder)

Overall depth: D (Average overall talent, but the FB is becoming obsolete)

RB: Willie Parker, Najeh Davenport, Mewelde Moore, Gary Rusell (When healthy Willie is a top 10 back...but he is coming off a broken leg, Najeh is a good short yardage back...but he is overpayed and inconsistent, Mewelde Moore is a great recieving back and shows great vision, Gary Russell is my sleeper player...could be a star, but could be a flop)

Overall depth: B (Elite starter, no clear cut No2, Najeh should be watching his back)

TE: Heath Miller, Matt Spaeth, Jon Dekker, Cody Boyd (Heath is a great all round TE, Spaeth should develop further and is a great redzone target, Dekker showed promise in preseason but never made it in the reg' season, Byd is practice squad material)

Overall depth: B+ (Top 10 starter, Solid No2, No3 TE has no great importance)

WR: Hines Ward, Santonio Holmes, Nate Washington, Cedrick Wilson, Willie Reid, Dallas Baker, Matt Trannon, Gerran Walker (Awesome 1,2 punch...but Hines is slowing down rapidly, Nate is the most polarizing player on the team...awesome one game...poop the next...needs to be more consistant but he is a solid No3, Ced is hated by every1 it seems...he is a solid No4, but he is overpaid, Reid is in the last chance saloon, Baker is an intriguing prospect, he could make the team next year as the No4, Trannon is in the same boat as Baker, Walker is lightning fast, but has likely only got a chance as a KR/Special Teamer)

Overall depth: C- (Great 1/2 combo, but Hines will need an heir to the throne sooner rather than later. Nate should make the team, but he is more suited as a No4 reciever. Ced is taking up too much money, he should be cut. Baker and Trannon will likely fight it out in camp, it is likely that only 1 will make the roster...if that. Willie Reid has got to fight for his life this offseason, he prolly wont make the team)

OT: Marvel Smith, Max Starks, Willie Colon, Trai Essex, Jason Capizzi, Matt Lentz, Jeremy Parquet (Marvel Smith ahs seen better days, but when healthy he is a solid LT...he gets paid a TON though. Max Starks will prolly sign long term, or hit the market...he is an average/good RT, who has shown LT potential, IMO he should be resigned. Willie Colon is a tough cookie, and played well in his first year, but he is better suited at guard and will likely be moved there in the near future. Trai Essex is a difficult one to analyse, he has looked good in the games he has played, but he has never been given a legitemate shot to play...would prolly be better suited at RT. Capizzi is a local boy, and a fan favourite, he definately has the size, but he is likely a backup at best. Lentz and Parquet, i have not seen play...but the things i have read about them sound promising, so watch out for them in camp.

Overall depth: D+ (Marvel, Starks and Colon are all capable of starting...but they could all be improved on. Marvel will likely need a replacement next year anyways. Essex is good/cheap depth)

OG/C: Sean Mahan, Darnell Stapleton, Kendall Simmons, Chris Kemoeatu (Mahan stunk it up last year, and he is getting paid fair whack...he would be solid depth as a C/G swingman, but he is not starting material. Stapleton is a major unknown, the coaches apparently love him, but i have never seen him play. He is apparently very strong in the lower body and has good leverage, which is something Mahan is not! Kendall Simmons is a bum in my eyes, he got a major deal last year but still only played averagly...he could be/should be upgraded. Kemoeatu is a load! He allways looks good in spot action, but he has not been given a fair shot to start, mainly because of Simmons' deal last year. I think he will be starting next year regardless of if we draft an OG early, he should be a solid player.

Overall depth: D- (Mahan and Simmons are bums, and Kemo and Stapleton are unproven. The interior O-Line could be upgraded across the board...but i think Kemo will be a great player)

Please remember these rankings are only on depth, if i was doing starters Big ben would get A+...Willie A, Heath A- etc...So please dont tink i am being really negative about the team, cuz i'm not. Just the lack of depth :D

I will do a write up on the defence tomorrow :)

Mr. Stiller
03-06-2008, 01:06 AM
The following are a list of players who i believe are a waste of roster room/cap space...

Charlie Batch, Tyrone Carter, Ryan Clark, Marquis Cooper, Nejeh Davenport, Nick Eason, Andre Frazier, Arnold Harrison, Travis Kirschke, Sean Mahan, Willie Reid, Deshea Townsend and Cedrick Wilson.

I agree on Wilson. Carter, Batch are playing for the near Vet minimum, Najeh is better RB than we'd get with a similar salary. Harrison is a RFA, Kirschke is an option if we have a viable replacement. Mahan would cost an additional 225K, to cut this season. Willie Reid is still on his small rookie contract. The two bolded aren't even on the roster nor count towards the cap.

Jakey
03-06-2008, 01:13 PM
Free agent Safety/Corner Chris Crocker is visiting today. He wouldnt be bad depth, and could help on special teams...so if he can be had at the right price, i'd be all for it.

brat316
03-06-2008, 03:31 PM
We honestly are not going to be signing anyone. We are going through draft for all of our players.

Do we get any comp picks. I would think maybe a 6th or 5th round for Joey. He didn't preform well but had a giant contract so I am going 5th. Could have been 4th or 3rd if he did better.

mikehop05
03-06-2008, 04:18 PM
We honestly are not going to be signing anyone. We are going through draft for all of our players.

Do we get any comp picks. I would think maybe a 6th or 5th round for Joey. He didn't preform well but had a giant contract so I am going 5th. Could have been 4th or 3rd if he did better.

nah we cut joey so we dont get any comp picks

steelersfan27
03-06-2008, 05:10 PM
^^^he played for the browns a couple years back. would be good ST help. and is there a link or something that has a list of the free agent visits? or something like that?

Hines
03-06-2008, 07:27 PM
A little mock draft I did:

1) Kentwan Balmer DT/DE North Carolina
2) Heath Benedict G/T Newberry
3) Kennan Burton WR Kentucky
4) Jeremy Zuttah G/T/C Rutgers
5) Gary Guyton LB Georgia Tech
6) Bryan Smith OLB McNeese State

Jakey
03-07-2008, 11:47 AM
A little mock draft I did:

1) Kentwan Balmer DT/DE North Carolina
2) Heath Benedict G/T Newberry
4) Jeremy Zuttah G/T/C Rutgers
5) Gary Guyton LB Georgia Tech

- I like Balmer allot, he might not be the flashiest pick but he would upgrade the d-line almost instantly...Smith and Balmer would prolly be the starters, with Keisel and McBean being good depth. Good pick.

- I also like Bennedict, but i think this is a reach here for him. I also dont see where he would play anyways...i cant see him replacing Marvel next year at LT, i dont think he will beat out Kemo, Colon or Simmons at guard, and we are already investing a fair bit of money in Max Starks at RT. 2nd round is a lil' bit high for a backup in my eyes.

- I LOVE Burton, IMO he is the most underrated WR in this draft!(except maybe Earl Bennett) He does it all; runs good routes, has solid hands, jumps a mile high, blocks hard, has good long speed. I really like the kid...good pick.

- Zuttah is a good prospect mainly just because of his versitility. He can play tackle, guard and centre, and he would bring great depth to the o-line, which is something we are deffinately lacking! Good pick.

- Guyton will probably get overdrafted due to his combine numbers, but he would bring good depth and he would be a special teams ace...which is something we definately need. Good pick, but the value might not be there.

- Smith is an undersized LB by any standards, and he is probably maxed out at 231...therefore he will likely be a special teams player exclusivly. If we draft Guyton the round before this pick makes no sence to me. The value is not really there either. Bad pick IMO.

Overall not a bad draft brother...B+

steelersgirl5
03-07-2008, 01:13 PM
what does everyone think of David Roach as at late round draft pick up for some depth, i heard he had some good combine numbers.

mikehop05
03-07-2008, 01:32 PM
balmer wont start as a rookie... unless there are some injuries or something

rookies rarely start on defense for the steelers, our defense is too complex to learn sufficiently enough during camp

Hines
03-07-2008, 01:54 PM
- I like Balmer allot, he might not be the flashiest pick but he would upgrade the d-line almost instantly...Smith and Balmer would prolly be the starters, with Keisel and McBean being good depth. Good pick.

- I also like Bennedict, but i think this is a reach here for him. I also dont see where he would play anyways...i cant see him replacing Marvel next year at LT, i dont think he will beat out Kemo, Colon or Simmons at guard, and we are already investing a fair bit of money in Max Starks at RT. 2nd round is a lil' bit high for a backup in my eyes.

- I LOVE Burton, IMO he is the most underrated WR in this draft!(except maybe Earl Bennett) He does it all; runs good routes, has solid hands, jumps a mile high, blocks hard, has good long speed. I really like the kid...good pick.

- Zuttah is a good prospect mainly just because of his versitility. He can play tackle, guard and centre, and he would bring great depth to the o-line, which is something we are deffinately lacking! Good pick.

- Guyton will probably get overdrafted due to his combine numbers, but he would bring good depth and he would be a special teams ace...which is something we definately need. Good pick, but the value might not be there.

- Smith is an undersized LB by any standards, and he is probably maxed out at 231...therefore he will likely be a special teams player exclusivly. If we draft Guyton the round before this pick makes no sence to me. The value is not really there either. Bad pick IMO.

Overall not a bad draft brother...B+

I had all this analys written out on paper, but too lazy to type it but here is a little overview of why I chose the players....

Balmer will provide needed help at the tackle and end positions and we are going BPA that fits a need. I can see him starting if he gets motivated and gets that fire. Benedict can play LG, RG, and LT. I project him as a LG and I read somewhere that they think he is the best pull blocker in this draft and he will start right away IMO. I compare Burton to a more polished Nate Washington. The only thing that Burton has over Washington is the level of competition and Burton hands are better, but they have the same skillset IMO. Zuttah can provide a lot of depth and could start at either RT, RG, C, LG, or LT in the future. Plus he is stronger then an ox and can run. I chose Guyton because he is fast, and agressive ala James Farrior. We move Guyton to MLB and learn from Farrior and in a few years have Woodley-Timmons-Guyton-Harrison/draft pick in future. Thats pretty scary. Guyton will play ST his first couple of seasons. I chose Bryan Smith because he can flat out get after the quarterback. He is raw and needs to develop strength and all that, but there is no doubt in my mind that he can and will be special.

Hines
03-07-2008, 02:03 PM
Chris Crocker wants to play for us.. I say we sign him and he could be good depth/starter. I dont think he would costs too much. He says he wants to play for a winner and he had nothing but great things to say about us. So what the hell, lets sign him. Plus, we signed Andre Frazier.

mikehop05
03-07-2008, 02:32 PM
Chris Crocker wants to play for us.. I say we sign him and he could be good depth/starter. I dont think he would costs too much. He says he wants to play for a winner and he had nothing but great things to say about us. So what the hell, lets sign him. Plus, we signed Andre Frazier.

with what money do we sign him with

all 1.8mil we have?

Mr. Stiller
03-07-2008, 07:03 PM
balmer wont start as a rookie... unless there are some injuries or something

rookies rarely start on defense for the steelers, our defense is too complex to learn sufficiently enough during camp

True but whens the last time we drafted a Day 1 3-4 DE let alone a first rounder?

I dont' think RDE is that complicated of a position to learn per se.

mikehop05
03-08-2008, 12:34 AM
True but whens the last time we drafted a Day 1 3-4 DE let alone a first rounder?

I dont' think RDE is that complicated of a position to learn per se.

well hampton wasa first round DT

he didnt start i believe

but true not a DE... so ur right i guess we dont know

Mr. Stiller
03-08-2008, 01:49 AM
well hampton wasa first round DT

he didnt start i believe

but true not a DE... so ur right i guess we dont know

Hampton Started the last 9 games of the Season IIRC.

Jakey
03-08-2008, 04:36 AM
I know the concesus is that we will be taking o-line in round 1, either a guard like Albert or Rachal, or a tackle like Otah etc...But what position do you guys think they will go if they don't go o-line in round 1??? My guess would be DE, CB or WR. What about you guys?

DeathbyStat
03-08-2008, 09:04 AM
I know the concesus is that we will be taking o-line in round 1, either a guard like Albert or Rachal, or a tackle like Otah etc...But what position do you guys think they will go if they don't go o-line in round 1??? My guess would be DE, CB or WR. What about you guys?

I thinks its wide out or running back.

Maybe because Seattle picked up Julius Jones we have a better chance at getting Stewart or Medenhall..but neither will probly last that long

steelersfan27
03-08-2008, 10:38 AM

i think the pick is definitely corner. some names that could be options at 1.23: DRC, mike jenkins, brandon flowers, antoine cason, aqib talib. if its DE i could see us picking phillip merling or kentwan balmer, but thats about it for DE. if we go WR: Malcom Kelly, Limas Sweed, or James Hardy. i think if thres not a good o-lineman at 23 we definitely pick corner.

skarocksoi
03-08-2008, 11:02 AM
There will have to be some sort of lineman available at 23, whether it be a tackle like chris williams or a guard like albert. The only other player I would find acceptable instead of a lineman would be Jonathan Stewart. Anything else, and I would be incredibly upset.

DeathbyStat
03-08-2008, 11:19 AM
I think the secondary really played well last year...but corner wouldn't be a bad move Cason had a pretty good forty time so a wouln't hate that. I know alot of you guys like flowers but i think he will fall to the second

DeathbyStat
03-08-2008, 11:19 AM
There will have to be some sort of lineman available at 23, whether it be a tackle like chris williams or a guard like albert. The only other player I would find acceptable instead of a lineman would be Jonathan Stewart. Anything else, and I would be incredibly upset.

I agree or Medenhall but there is no way

Hines
03-08-2008, 12:14 PM
I agree or Medenhall but there is no way

I think there is a way one of them falls to us. The only teams I can see chosing Medenhall or Stewert is Detroit, Chicago, Houston. But those three teams have way bigger needs then running back. Hell, I could see Carolina pick one of them, but still, one of them most likely will fall to us.

PittPete
03-08-2008, 12:45 PM
Why in the world would we ever take either a running back or wideout early when we have significant needs elsewhere. Tomlin has stated very emphatically that we need young muscle on both sides of the line and I agree. I think if you look up my posts prior to both of the last two drafts, I was hoping we would bulk up then. This is a draft somewhat deep in lineman such that if we went defensive end in round one that I think we could still score in round two for the offensive line. After how impressive both Starks(I know, I blasted him all last year) and Essex were, I think we are ok at tackle but need some oomph inside. Apparently we are stuck with Simmons(Colbert's worst mistake ever) but could bump Mahan without too much of a hit. thing is, we need another allpro center, otherwise our line looks like crap. And when Smith went down last year, notice how our whole defense fell apart. We definately need a stud at de.

Hines
03-08-2008, 12:55 PM
Why in the world would we ever take either a running back or wideout early when we have significant needs elsewhere. Tomlin has stated very emphatically that we need young muscle on both sides of the line and I agree. I think if you look up my posts prior to both of the last two drafts, I was hoping we would bulk up then. This is a draft somewhat deep in lineman such that if we went defensive end in round one that I think we could still score in round two for the offensive line. After how impressive both Starks(I know, I blasted him all last year) and Essex were, I think we are ok at tackle but need some oomph inside. Apparently we are stuck with Simmons(Colbert's worst mistake ever) but could bump Mahan without too much of a hit. thing is, we need another allpro center, otherwise our line looks like crap. And when Smith went down last year, notice how our whole defense fell apart. We definately need a stud at de.

You basically answered the question you asked in there. Since the draft is so deep on the lines, we can and will be able to go BPA in round one. While the only positions we dotn need are QB, and TE, I wouldnt be apposed to go WR, CB, LB, DL, OL, or RB in the first. If Sweed, Kelly, or Hardy are there in the first, you have to take a huge look at them because they are excellant players and will help Ben out right away. We can go BPA in round one, then need in round two, three and four. I have Dline or WR in the first, then Oline in the second, WR, CB, or Dline in the third, then Oline in the fourth. We just have to wait and see.

DeathbyStat
03-08-2008, 01:50 PM

Its something called the theory of taking the best player available regardless of need.

Your point about Smith is kinda moot because the type of D end we need isn't the type that people take in the first round unless we convert a player like Antuan Balmer into a DE or get Dre Moore or Trevor Laws in the second

Smooth Criminal
03-08-2008, 03:09 PM
There is no way we will take a RB in round 1. We have our star in Willie and Najeh/Moore/Russell is more than suffecient depth. No need to use a pick, and the cap, on a player that will see limited action and only have a depth role.

I think OL, DL, CB, or WR are the only positions we will end up taking in the first.

mikehop05
03-08-2008, 03:10 PM
something tells me that if chris williams is there we take him regardless of whether mendenhall or stewart are there or not

Jakey
03-08-2008, 03:53 PM
There is no way we will take a RB in round 1. We have our star in Willie and Najeh/Moore/Russell is more than suffecient depth. No need to use a pick, and the cap, on a player that will see limited action and only have a depth role.

I think OL, DL, CB, or WR are the only positions we will end up taking in the first.

I agree, also ppl were calling for us to take a RB early last year...and we didnt take one at all! I think that proves the coaching staff are pretty content with our RB situation. The only reason i would take an RB at all, is if a good player drops, like; Kevin Smith in round 3, Ray Rice in round 3, Mike Hart in round 6 etc...

Hines
03-08-2008, 05:03 PM
I read that we are asking Simmons to reconstructure his contract. That means we could have money to sign Crocker who I believe we will offer playing time too. If I were the Steelers, I would release Carter and Clark to get more cap room and draft or sign Jaime Silva to bring in with Crocker. Perfect plan for me actually.

skarocksoi
03-08-2008, 08:40 PM
something tells me that if chris williams is there we take him regardless of whether mendenhall or stewart are there or not

I hope that is the case. I think Williams is the smart kind of player that Tomlin craves.

ryanrayne
03-08-2008, 11:10 PM
Steelers' Harrison Arrested On Assault Charge
PITTSBURGH (KDKA) ― Steelers' linebacker James Harrison was arrested earlier today for allegedly assaulting his girlfriend at her residence.

Officials say Harrison is facing two charges, one count of simple assault for intentionally, knowingly or recklessly causing bodily harm, and one count of criminal mischief, for intentionally or recklessly tampering with tangible property of another.

According to the criminal complaint filed in night court and obtained by KDKA, Harrison allegedly got into an argument with his girlfriend and she locked herself in her bedroom to call 911.

Police say Harrison allegedly broke through the door, broke her cell phone in half and slapped her in the face.

He was arrested on his way back to his residence, police say.

Harrison was taken to Allegheny County Jail, arraigned and released. He is scheduled to appear in court on March 13th.

Hines
03-08-2008, 11:16 PM
If it turns out bad, I would want to spend a mid round pass rusher on someone who can take his spot. I dont think our backups can contribute. This news really sucks. We all knew he had a temper, I just hoped it didnt translate outside of football.

mikehop05
03-09-2008, 01:19 AM
Steelers' Harrison Arrested On Assault Charge
PITTSBURGH (KDKA) ― Steelers' linebacker James Harrison was arrested earlier today for allegedly assaulting his girlfriend at her residence.

Officials say Harrison is facing two charges, one count of simple assault for intentionally, knowingly or recklessly causing bodily harm, and one count of criminal mischief, for intentionally or recklessly tampering with tangible property of another.

According to the criminal complaint filed in night court and obtained by KDKA, Harrison allegedly got into an argument with his girlfriend and she locked herself in her bedroom to call 911.

Police say Harrison allegedly broke through the door, broke her cell phone in half and slapped her in the face.

He was arrested on his way back to his residence, police say.

Harrison was taken to Allegheny County Jail, arraigned and released. He is scheduled to appear in court on March 13th.

****** prolly deserved it.

mikehop05
03-09-2008, 01:19 AM
why the **** do we get our words censored?

are we ******* 12?

brat316
03-09-2008, 01:21 AM
i am guessing you are currently PUI or is it PWI posting while influenced.

mikehop05
03-09-2008, 01:24 AM
good guess.

TheWood56
03-09-2008, 07:23 AM
If it turns out bad, I would want to spend a mid round pass rusher on someone who can take his spot. I dont think our backups can contribute. This news really sucks. We all knew he had a temper, I just hoped it didnt translate outside of football.

Don't know what's going on with Haggans, as I thought I read somewhere that he was set to sign with the Browns or something, but haven't heard anything yet, so if he's still available, maybe the Steelers will consider bringing Haggans back for depth purposes, especially if it looks like Harrison may have to serve a suspension from the league.

Hines
03-09-2008, 09:27 AM
Don't know what's going on with Haggans, as I thought I read somewhere that he was set to sign with the Browns or something, but haven't heard anything yet, so if he's still available, maybe the Steelers will consider bringing Haggans back for depth purposes, especially if it looks like Harrison may have to serve a suspension from the league.

Or even better then that, I would like Rosey Colvin from the Patsies. If he can stay healthy, he could be a great pass rusher for us. Shouldnt cost that much.

TheWood56
03-09-2008, 09:44 AM
Or even better then that, I would like Rosey Colvin from the Patsies. If he can stay healthy, he could be a great pass rusher for us. Shouldnt cost that much.

I don't think he'd come that cheaply honestly. Look at the type of money that's been thrown around in free agency so far. Just look at the contract Calvin Pace received, and he's only really had 1 decent season, where as even though Colvin's older, he's experienced and has proven himself.

The only reason I could think of why Colvin would come cheaply is possibly because most of the teams have spent the majority of their money already in free agency and in re-signing their own players, and there may not be that much interest in Colvin and not much money being thrown at him because teams simply don't have the cap space anymore.

If the Steelers want to make any moves in free agency though, I'm pretty sure they have to remove the t-tag from Starks so they get that $7 million in cap space back.

Hines
03-09-2008, 09:47 AM
I don't think he'd come that cheaply honestly. Look at the type of money that's been thrown around in free agency so far. Just look at the contract Calvin Pace received, and he's only really had 1 decent season, where as even though Colvin's older, he's experienced and has proven himself.

The only reason I could think of why Colvin would come cheaply is possibly because most of the teams have spent the majority of their money already in free agency and in re-signing their own players, and there may not be that much interest in Colvin and not much money being thrown at him because teams simply don't have the cap space anymore.

If the Steelers want to make any moves in free agency though, I'm pretty sure they have to remove the t-tag from Starks so they get that $7 million in cap space back.

I think he would come cheaply because he is 30, injured, and going past his prime. He is a good pass rusher for sure, but if he cant stay healthy, then teams dont want him. Thats why I think he will come cheaply. But I would rather throw out that money for Chris Crocker then Colvin.

Hines
03-09-2008, 09:55 AM
We might approach Marvel Smith with a contract extension if we dont draft a tackle.

Jakey
03-09-2008, 10:03 AM
I wouldnt mind taking a shot a Rosie...he is a high character vet, and would be much improved depth over what we have at the minute. It would also make OLB less of a priority this year, which is a good thing because it isnt a great class for 3-4 OLB's.

Hines
03-09-2008, 10:05 AM
I wouldnt mind taking a shot a Rosie...he is a high character vet, and would be much improved depth over what we have at the minute. It would also make OLB less of a priority this year, which is a good thing because it isnt a great class for 3-4 OLB's.

Agreed, but I honestly would take a second for Avril, a fourth for Curtis Johnson, and a 6th for Bryan Smith. I would also like Angelo Craig as well.

Jakey
03-09-2008, 10:16 AM
I like allot of these players...i would take; Quentin Groves(1), Cliff Avril(2), Shaun Crable(2-3), Bruce Davis(3), Lawrence Jackson(2), Johnny Dingle(3)(questionable), Chris Ellis(3-4), Jeremy Thompson(4-5), Chase Ortiz(5-6), Rudolph Hardie(6).

...i like all of those prospects, but when i look at the talent at OT, CB, WR etc...i think we should hold off for a year.

p.s. But know i'm thinking about it, i'd be abit dissapionted if we didnt draft at least one of these players :D Im a sucker for OLB's!

Hines
03-09-2008, 10:22 AM
I like allot of these players...i would take; Quentin Groves(1), Cliff Avril(2), Shaun Crable(2-3), Bruce Davis(3), Lawrence Jackson(2), Johnny Dingle(3)(questionable), Chris Ellis(3-4), Jeremy Thompson(4-5), Chase Ortiz(5-6), Rudolph Hardie(6).

...i like all of those prospects, but when i look at the talent at OT, CB, WR etc...i think we should hold off for a year.

p.s. But know i'm thinking about it, i'd be abit dissapionted if we didnt draft at least one of these players :D Im a sucker for OLB's!

OH please believe I am a sucker for a passrusher as well, but we do have a lot of needs in other areas where I could live without a pass rushing OLB this year as next years class looks stacked as well.

ryanrayne
03-09-2008, 10:22 AM
Jakey, I agree with your choices. The FO should make an effort to draft at least one of these guys. Back ups can't hurt. If HArrison is suspended. 1st offense id what? 4 games?

Hines
03-09-2008, 10:24 AM
Jakey, I agree with your choices. The FO should make an effort to draft at least one of these guys. Back ups can't hurt. If HArrison is suspended. 1st offense id what? 4 games?

I believe it will be a 2-3 game suspension. I mean I think Harrison is a good man for at least admitting he did it.

ryanrayne
03-09-2008, 10:27 AM
The Steelers will stay on him about cleaning up his act. That doesn't fly with the Rooneys. You don't hear anything about Holmes anymore. He seems to have gotten his act together.

Hines
03-09-2008, 10:34 AM
QB coach Ken Anderson was at Kentuckys Pro Day. I bet they were looking at Burton, Johnson, Woodyard, Little.

Jakey
03-09-2008, 12:53 PM
QB coach Ken Anderson was at Kentuckys Pro Day. I bet they were looking at Burton, Johnson, Woodyard, Little.

Burton is a beaster...i would love to land him at some point. Round 3-5 probably.

Hines
03-09-2008, 01:11 PM
Burton is a beaster...i would love to land him at some point. Round 3-5 probably.

Yeah thats where I would want him. Then get Orlando Scandrick in the fourth and we will be set.

Hines
03-09-2008, 01:14 PM
If the Jets didnt trade up last year, Darelle Revis would've been a Pittsburgh Steeler. Just imagine Ike and Revis back there. Would be beastly.

Jakey
03-09-2008, 01:39 PM
^ Dont sleep on Timmons, i think he will still shock some people. People say he is undersized??? Even though he weighs more than Larry Foote, and he is far more athletic than Foote. I think a good comparison for the type of player Timmons can be, is Donnie Edwards. He was a terror playing Mack in the Chargers 3-4, i think Timmons can be the same.

Hines
03-09-2008, 01:44 PM
^ Dont sleep on Timmons, i think he will still shock some people. People say he is undersized??? Even though he weighs more than Larry Foote, and he is far more athletic than Foote. I think a good comparison for the type of player Timmons can be, is Donnie Edwards. He was a terror playing Mack in the Chargers 3-4, i think Timmons can be the same.

Yeah that is true, but we could find a linebacker and produce him like nothing like we always do. But I believe Revis is a true shutdown playmaking corner that we can use. Clearly the best corner in that draft by far.

mikehop05
03-09-2008, 02:16 PM
new type of mock...

Round 1 pick 23
Chris Williams, OT, Vandy
http://graphics.fansonly.com/schools/vand/graphics/auto/150200williams.jpg
We need to protect our 100mil investment in Big Ben. Williams is going to be a premier left tackle, and that is arguably the most important position on the offensive line for a right handed quarterback.

TRADE
Now i know most people like to trade down, get a lot of picks, etc... and i mean why not? It looks great for a mock and usually the more players you have the better. But, I propose we trade up. Trade our future first round pick (which in trade value terms would be the lowest of first round picks, or 590 points) and a future third round pick (116 points[we will get a third next year with faneca leaving]) with the Miami Dolphins (pick 32, 590 points).

The Dolphins are clearly re-building. Having two first round picks next year and an extra third will be very appealing to Bill Parcels as he can evaluate his team for a whole year before having to make personnel decisions. His job won't be on the line if the Dolphins don't win for a couple of years. To me, this trade is very realistic.

Round 2 Pick 32
James Hardy, WR, Indiana
http://www.idsnews.com/news/images/photoholder/P_6933.jpeg

Hardy is a huge guy, he can jump, his 40 is good enough, and he is strong. Ben is absolutely ecstatic... He got the 100mil contract, a great LT, and now his tall WR. IMO, Hardy will only play when the Steelers are in the redzone, thus limiting him to only needing to know a section of the playbook thoroughly enough to get on the field. I don't think anyone can argue that his presence in the redzone is huge.

TRADE

When the Bears are picking at 44 and we see that Groves is still on the table, I think the Steelers FO beings to salivate a little. Groves will be strictly a 3 - 4 OLB. He is only 260 pounds, and though he is fast, he wasn't the most productive player in college. Though he is perfect for a 3-4 OLB and we cannot believe that San Fran passed him up. We Trade with Chicago (who is eyeing Flacco, but knows he will be there later in the second and are happy to trade down) We Trade our 2nd (pick 53, 370 points), our 4th (117*, 60) and our 6th (181* 20) to get the 44th overall pick (460).

Round 2 Pick 44
Quentin Groves, OLB, Auburn
http://trevorusken.com/sitebuilder/images/Auburn_QuentinGroves2-260x309.jpg

While OLB isn't a need per say, the thought of putting Harrison at ILB with Timmons in 2009, and having Groves and Woodley on the outside would probably make us the best LB core... at least on paper.

Round 3 pick 88
Kendall Langford, DE, Hampton
http://www.nfldraftdog.com/images/Kendall-Langford.jpg

Langford is a prototypical 3 - 4 DE. His combination of size, strength, and speed make him a great fit. Will sit as a rookie, but will challenge McBean for the other DE spot, and provide depth if Smith goes down again.

Round 6 pick ?
Andrew Crummey, OG, UMD
http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/md/sports/m-footbl/auto_action/1422882.jpeg

It sucks for Crummey that he was unable to work out at the combine due to injury. He probably won't work out at the pro day either. But when healthy he could be, arguably, a round 3 selection. But, I say we take a chance on him. He may not pan out, but theres a better chance that he will.

Impact of the Draft

I think we are a good team. I think that if we upgrade in a few positions we will be a great team. I feel that by trading our future 1st and 3rd, we achieve that status, if not in 2008 then definitely by 2009.

Hines
03-09-2008, 02:36 PM
A little mock I just made up:

1) Brandon Albert G/T Virginia
2) Dre Moore DT Maryland
4) Orlando Scandrick CB Boise State
5) Ezra Butler Lb Nevada
6) Mackenzy Bernadeau G/T Bentley

brat316
03-09-2008, 07:27 PM
I like Hops its a little more realistic, Steelers going after players. And we don't have huge holes where we need all of our picks. I think the third round pick they might move back to pick up a 5th round. Try and get a corner or WR for return ability. Dexter Jackson.

Mr. Stiller
03-09-2008, 07:42 PM
23 Overall) Brandon Abert, OG/OT, Virginia ~ 6'5 5/8" 308lbs 5.22

Albert is a guy I see as having pro bowl and all pro talent. Strong, powerful, quick on the move, great blocker on the move, great anchor. Solidifies the line for the next 10+ Years.

2~ Traded to Minnesota for 2 - 3rds

76 Overall) Red Bryant, NT/LDE, Texas A&M ~ 6'4 1/8" 318lbs 4.98

Bryant is a guy that could play NT and Left Defensive end in this scheme. He could also be our wedgebuster.

81 Overall) Jordy Nelson, W/RS, Kansas State ~ 6'2 5/8" 217lbs 4.48

Nelson is a guy I see following Wards Career Path. St's and minimal exposure as a rookie, then working his way up to #1 after Ward retires. Guy catching everything.

87 Overall) Bruce Davis, ROLB, UCLA ~ 6'2 5/8" 252lbs 4.72

Bruce is an extraordinary athlete. He's been shifted back and forth between defensive end and WLB at UCLA. He has the experience we're looking for and Could give us a ST demon, and future at ROLB.

119 Overall) Antwuan Molden, CB/FS, Eastern Kentucky ~ 6'0 6/8" 198lbs 4.44

Molden is a physical corner and could play Man to man, Zone or Free safety. A young guy that brings depth, ST's help and could give us depth at 2 positions.

151 Overall) Peyton Hillis, FB/RB, Arkansas ~ 6'0 6/8" 240lbs 4.58

Hillis is a versatile do it all player. He can play FB, #2 RB, Return Specialist, and a receiver. Should be able to take Carey Davis over by mid season.

183 Overall) Fernando Velasco, C/G, Georgia ~ 6'3 318lbs 5.14

Velasco is a powerful and athletic C. He could play that interior swing man and Eventually Knock Mahan off the roster. He could also Challenge Stapleton for Center.
UDFA:
Offense:

Adam Tafralis, QB, San Jose State ~ 6'1 1/8" 221lbs 4.78
Keon Lattimore, RB, Maryland ~ 5'11 218lbs 4.55
Jeremy Trimble, WR/PR, Army ~ 6'1 215lbs 4.38
Jabari Arthur, WR, Akron ~ 6'4 225lbs 4.55
Chris Hopkins, TE, Toledo ~ 6'4 3/8" 273lbs 4.78
Steve Shidell, OT, Minnesota ~ 6'5 298lbs 5.19
Ian-Yates Cunningham, OG/C, Virginia ~ 6'3 298lbs 5.18
Kirk Elder, OG, Texas A&M ~ 6' 3 6/8" 309lbs 5.17
Derrick Morse, C, Miami ~ 6'3 6/8" 325lbs 5.22

Defense:

Marcus Dixon, LDE, Hampton ~ 6'4 298lbs 5.08
Derrick Lokey, NT/LS/DE, Texas ~ 6'2 295lbs 5.02
Barry Booker, RDE, Virginia Tech ~ 6'3 6/8" 288lbs 4.88
Hilee Taylor, ROLB, North Carolina ~ 6'3 240lbs 4.64
Jeremy Leman, RILB, Illinois ~ 6'2 240lbs 4.80
Eric Foster, LILB, Rutgers, 6'1 270lbs 4.77
Titus Brown, LOLB, Mississippi State ~ 6'2 239lbs 4.70
Haruki Nakamura, FS, Cincinnati ~ 5'10 190lbs 4.45
Marcus Richardson, WLB/SS, Troy ~ 6'0 1/8" 235lbs 4.53

Jakey
03-09-2008, 07:45 PM
^ Nice, i like it allot. I would obviously prefer another WR over Nelson, but that would be solid anyways. Im really starting to like Bruce Davis, he is built much bigger than i thought he was, and i think he would be a monster ROLB. Good job!

Hines
03-09-2008, 08:41 PM
Here are players I would be happy with and what rounds I think they should be chosen in:

Round one:

Brandon Albert G/T
Kentwan Balmer DE North Carolina
Limas Sweed WR Texas
Malcolm Kelly WR Oklahoma
Devin Thomas WR Michigan State
James Hardy WR Indiana
Dominique Rogers-Cromartie CB Tennessee St
Chris Williams T Vanderbilt
Jeff Otah T Pittsburgh

Round 2:

Dre Moore DE Maryland
Trevor Laws DE Notre Dame
Brandon Flowers CB Virginia Tech
Chilo Rachal G USC
Earl Bennett WR Vanderbilt
Anthony Collins T Kansas
Carl Nicks T Nebraska
Heath Benedict G/T Newberry
Cliff Avril OLB Purdue
Marcus Harrison DT/DE Arkansas
Shawn Crable OLB Michigan
Antoine Cason CB Arizona

Round 3:

Chevis Jackson CB LSU
Kennan Burton WR Kentucky
Will Franklin WR Missouri
Mike Pollack C Arizona State
Duane Brown T Virginia Tech
John Greco T Toledo
Eric Young G Tennessee
Mike McGlynn G Pittsburgh
Bruce Davis OLB UCLA
Kendall Langford DE Hampton
Jason Jones DE Eastern Michigan
DeMario Pressley DE NC State
Beau Bell LB UNLV
Tavarres Gooden LB Miami(Fla.)
Trae Williams CB South Florida
Quienten Demps S/CB UTEP
Tyvon Branch CB Conneticut

Round 4:

Terrence Wheatley CB Colorado
Jack Williams CB Kent State
Orlando Scandrick CB Boise State
Antwaun Molden CB Eastern Kentucky
Johnathon Geoff Lb Vanderbilt
Gary Guyton LB Georgia Tech
Geno Hayes LB Florida State
Frank Okham DT Texas
Donald Thomas G UCONN
Robert Felton G Arkansas
Jeremy Zuttah G/T/C Rutgers
DJ Hall Wr Alabama
Arman Shields WR Richmond

There are other players, but I am too lazy to write them all. So if we draft any of these guys the first four rounds, you will not hear my complain.

Jakey
03-10-2008, 05:23 AM
^ Nice list Hines, i like most of them players aswell...i could prolly add more to that list, but i cant be bothered :)

Jakey
03-10-2008, 05:26 AM
One prospect i really like is Hilee Taylor out of NC State. He played DE in college, but would make an ideal OLB in the 3-4. He is 6'3" 245lbs and ran a 4.58 at his pro day. I think if we can get him in the late rounds/FA, he would be an ideal backup behind Woodley.

DeathbyStat
03-10-2008, 11:24 AM
new type of mock...

Round 1 pick 23
Chris Williams, OT, Vandy
http://graphics.fansonly.com/schools/vand/graphics/auto/150200williams.jpg
We need to protect our 100mil investment in Big Ben. Williams is going to be a premier left tackle, and that is arguably the most important position on the offensive line for a right handed quarterback.

TRADE
Now i know most people like to trade down, get a lot of picks, etc... and i mean why not? It looks great for a mock and usually the more players you have the better. But, I propose we trade up. Trade our future first round pick (which in trade value terms would be the lowest of first round picks, or 590 points) and a future third round pick (116 points[we will get a third next year with faneca leaving]) with the Miami Dolphins (pick 32, 590 points).

The Dolphins are clearly re-building. Having two first round picks next year and an extra third will be very appealing to Bill Parcels as he can evaluate his team for a whole year before having to make personnel decisions. His job won't be on the line if the Dolphins don't win for a couple of years. To me, this trade is very realistic.

Round 2 Pick 32
James Hardy, WR, Indiana
http://www.idsnews.com/news/images/photoholder/P_6933.jpeg

Hardy is a huge guy, he can jump, his 40 is good enough, and he is strong. Ben is absolutely ecstatic... He got the 100mil contract, a great LT, and now his tall WR. IMO, Hardy will only play when the Steelers are in the redzone, thus limiting him to only needing to know a section of the playbook thoroughly enough to get on the field. I don't think anyone can argue that his presence in the redzone is huge.

TRADE

When the Bears are picking at 44 and we see that Groves is still on the table, I think the Steelers FO beings to salivate a little. Groves will be strictly a 3 - 4 OLB. He is only 260 pounds, and though he is fast, he wasn't the most productive player in college. Though he is perfect for a 3-4 OLB and we cannot believe that San Fran passed him up. We Trade with Chicago (who is eyeing Flacco, but knows he will be there later in the second and are happy to trade down) We Trade our 2nd (pick 53, 370 points), our 4th (117*, 60) and our 6th (181* 20) to get the 44th overall pick (460).

Round 2 Pick 44
Quentin Groves, OLB, Auburn
http://trevorusken.com/sitebuilder/images/Auburn_QuentinGroves2-260x309.jpg

While OLB isn't a need per say, the thought of putting Harrison at ILB with Timmons in 2009, and having Groves and Woodley on the outside would probably make us the best LB core... at least on paper.

Round 3 pick 88
Kendall Langford, DE, Hampton
http://www.nfldraftdog.com/images/Kendall-Langford.jpg

Langford is a prototypical 3 - 4 DE. His combination of size, strength, and speed make him a great fit. Will sit as a rookie, but will challenge McBean for the other DE spot, and provide depth if Smith goes down again.

Round 6 pick ?
Andrew Crummey, OG, UMD
http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/md/sports/m-footbl/auto_action/1422882.jpeg

It sucks for Crummey that he was unable to work out at the combine due to injury. He probably won't work out at the pro day either. But when healthy he could be, arguably, a round 3 selection. But, I say we take a chance on him. He may not pan out, but theres a better chance that he will.

Impact of the Draft

I think we are a good team. I think that if we upgrade in a few positions we will be a great team. I feel that by trading our future 1st and 3rd, we achieve that status, if not in 2008 then definitely by 2009.

I really love this draft...but i don't think it can happen

But it would be superb

mikehop05
03-10-2008, 11:25 AM
I really love this draft...but i don't think it can happen

But it would be superb

yeah its kind of unrealistic

but fun to think about nonetheless

Jakey
03-10-2008, 11:26 AM

lol ye its is tad unrealistic...but if we landed Williams, Hardy and Groves i would be doing backflips! :)

DeathbyStat
03-10-2008, 03:05 PM

Good effort though this would be bloody fantastic.

skarocksoi
03-10-2008, 05:21 PM
I've read that Hardy is slipping a little bit and people have him ranked as a second rounder. So maybe we wouldnt have to make as drastic a trade for him in the second. But I agree that mock is awesome. Stiller your mock is awesome too. I'd be happy with either situation.

Hines
03-10-2008, 05:29 PM
I've read that Hardy is slipping a little bit and people have him ranked as a second rounder. So maybe we wouldnt have to make as drastic a trade for him in the second. But I agree that mock is awesome. Stiller your mock is awesome too. I'd be happy with either situation.

Why would Hardy be slipping? The man ran a low 4.5 and showed great hands and can jump at 6'5.

Mr. Goosemahn
03-10-2008, 09:37 PM
Rex Hadnot signs with browns

:S

Seems they get stronger every single day, and this time with a player we were considering to sign...

Mr. Goosemahn
03-10-2008, 09:47 PM
Regarding the free agency, it's very frustrating we have almost no cap room.

We could be signing O-line guys like Reuben Brown, Floyd Womack, Todd Steusssie as veterans while we get some younger talent.

We could also have signed S Eugene Wilson, S Chris Crocker, WR Bryant Johnson, WR Drew Carter, and maybe even WR Malcolm Floyd.

All these guys would add great depth, and could maybe even be starters.

We might still sign one or two though.

Gotta remain hopeful. :D

mikehop05
03-10-2008, 11:20 PM
Regarding the free agency, it's very frustrating we have almost no cap room.

We could be signing O-line guys like Reuben Brown, Floyd Womack, Todd Steusssie as veterans while we get some younger talent.

We could also have signed S Eugene Wilson, S Chris Crocker, WR Bryant Johnson, WR Drew Carter, and maybe even WR Malcolm Floyd.

All these guys would add great depth, and could maybe even be starters.

We might still sign one or two though.

Gotta remain hopeful. :D

welcome to the boards,

while i agree that signing a few key FA's might benefit a team.. i prefer the way the steelers do it, and thats building through the draft..

I think that maybe if we had a lot of cap room we mighta went out and got a safety... not necessarily to start but to give smith a kick in the pants, which i still think he got by seeing us bring in all the FA safeties.

I really like our off season so far, I really like the Moore pickup, he makes guys like dookie expendable, and can help some on the return game hopefully.

Also, our #1 priority was to lock up big ben, i think we all agree he deserves it and I think with one or two key moves via draft, we will have a great team.

steel man
03-11-2008, 12:10 AM
do you guys know anything about

WR-Evan Moore
WR- Lance Legget

Mr. Stiller
03-11-2008, 01:30 AM
Yeah that is true, but we could find a linebacker and produce him like nothing like we always do. But I believe Revis is a true shutdown playmaking corner that we can use. Clearly the best corner in that draft by far.

Revis was a smokescreen. Timmons was always the Target.

steel man
03-11-2008, 07:44 AM

WR-Evan Moore
WR- Lance Legget

i like these 2 guys as a good steal in the late rds and i know that some of you think that Moore will be a TE before it's over and that may be the case but i think he could make it as a good red zone/over the middle guy and he is faster then a TE so i think he could stay at WR IMO.

steel man
03-11-2008, 07:44 AM
............................ i just did not want to be stuck on 666.

TheWood56
03-11-2008, 08:01 AM
Revis was a smokescreen. Timmons was always the Target.

Yes, I've also heard this. Timmons was always our main target, though who knows, if Timmons was gone and Revis was on the board, I think they'd have selected Revis, though if they were both on the board, I still think they would have selected Timmons.

Realistically, I think Timmons was their #1 and Revis was their #2.

TheWood56
03-11-2008, 08:10 AM
Hmmm, interesting. Tomlin attends Auburns pro day:

http://blog.al.com/trackingtigers/2008/03/dozens_of_nfl_scouts_assistant.html

I think he must've been there to personally look at Quentin Groves, Pat Sims and Patrick Lee first hand. Personally, I think this is good news. Those are 3 really good players IMO, and if I had to guess, those are the 3 guys I'd imagine he was there to look at.

steel man
03-11-2008, 11:03 AM
i would really like getting Groves and Lee. i have noticed that after talking about Groves a while back more people is starting to talk about him. he is a Steelers type IMO. i may be wrong but i think he would really help give us one of the best LB'ing core in the NFL

steel man
03-11-2008, 11:06 AM

WR- Evan Moore
WR- Lance Legget
WR- Mario Urrutia

and what rd do you think they will go in?

steel man
03-11-2008, 11:11 AM
which one of these guys would we get the best value for(ex. one guy may be better then the other but if you have to use a 3rd pick on him and you can get the other guy for a 5th rd pick and he is almost as good then the 5th rd pick would have a better value) ?

WR- Evan Moore
WR- Lance Legget
WR- Mario Urrutia
WR -Paul Hubbard
WR- Adrian Arrington

DeathbyStat
03-11-2008, 12:06 PM
which one of these guys would we get the best value for(ex. one guy may be better then the other but if you have to use a 3rd pick on him and you can get the other guy for a 5th rd pick and he is almost as good then the 5th rd pick would have a better value) ?

WR- Evan Moore
WR- Lance Legget
WR- Mario Urrutia
WR -Paul Hubbard
WR- Adrian Arrington

I think Hubbard is the best player and will go in the 4th or 5th but all these guys are 4th-7th rounders at best.

mikehop05
03-11-2008, 12:39 PM
Hmmm, interesting. Tomlin attends Auburns pro day:

http://blog.al.com/trackingtigers/2008/03/dozens_of_nfl_scouts_assistant.html

I think he must've been there to personally look at Quentin Groves, Pat Sims and Patrick Lee first hand. Personally, I think this is good news. Those are 3 really good players IMO, and if I had to guess, those are the 3 guys I'd imagine he was there to look at.

that is interesting...do you think we would take groves at 23 though?

Jakey
03-11-2008, 01:04 PM
^ Yeah for sure...some people have him going No7 to the pats. But i really cant see him going that early!

steel man
03-11-2008, 01:23 PM
I think Hubbard is the best player and will go in the 4th or 5th but all these guys are 4th-7th rounders at best.

Hubbard or Marcus Monk ?

steel man
03-11-2008, 01:33 PM
what do you guys think if this mock happened?

1)Chris Williams - OT
2)Chilo Rachal - OG ...... (if not there then Roy Schuening - OG)
3)Milke Pollack - C ....(may have to switch 2rd and 3rd if we get Roy)
4)Antwaun Molden - CB...(Darnell Terrell - CB) i like Owen Schmitt - FB/RB here but i know i will get raged if i pick him
5)Paul Hubbard/Marcus Monk - WR
6)Johnny Dingle - DE

mikehop05
03-11-2008, 03:26 PM
i dont think we need 3 first day O linemen

id rather grab langford from hampton in the 3rd

Hines
03-11-2008, 03:32 PM
OLB Keyaron Fox visited with the Steelers on Tuesday.

Fox, formerly of the Chiefs, would be a backup linebacker and a special teamer if he ends up in Pittsburgh.

DeathbyStat
03-11-2008, 04:04 PM
Hubbard or Marcus Monk ?

Hubbard.........

Hines
03-11-2008, 04:08 PM
I would take a flyer on Mario Urruita. He is big and has sneeky speed. Could be Plex or a major bust. I like his potential as he has great hands and great leaping ability.

steel man
03-11-2008, 04:20 PM
i dont think we need 3 first day O linemen

id rather grab langford from hampton in the 3rd

when you have a great QB and you have a $100mil. man then i do not see how that could be a bad investment.

steel man
03-11-2008, 04:21 PM
I would take a flyer on Mario Urruita. He is big and has sneeky speed. Could be Plex or a major bust. I like his potential as he has great hands and great leaping ability.

thats why i put him in there. i really like him and IMO i think he will be at least a starter and he is one of the tallest and still has a big frame and fast.

mikehop05
03-11-2008, 05:17 PM
when you have a great QB and you have a $100mil. man then i do not see how that could be a bad investment.

its not bad per say but i would argue that for this draft our aging d-line is of more concern than our relatively young o-line...

steel man
03-11-2008, 06:17 PM
its not bad per say but i would argue that for this draft our aging d-line is of more concern than our relatively young o-line...
the only reason that i am not to concern about the D-Line is because Smith prob will not get hurt again ,and the main reason, is with Woodly taking over for Haggans i think that will draw more blocking and he will apply more pressure so that will help the D-Line out and on a side note i also think that will help out the DB's if we get more pressure.

Hines
03-11-2008, 10:19 PM
This is what I think we will do. I think we will pull the transition tag away from Starks, which means we can sign one or two more free agents. I say Keyaron Fox and Euguene Wilson or Chris Crocker. We reconstructure Kendall Simmons which gives us an extra few million to work with.

This is what our draft could look like:

1) Brandon Albert G Virginia
2) Antoine Cason CB Arizona
3) Kendall Langford DE Hampton
4) Paul Hubbard WR Wisconsin
5) Fernando Velasco G/C Georgia

I see us resigning Marvel Smith to a multi year deal. We draft a first round tackle next year as Marvel is injury prone and getting older.

I see our line as this next year:

Smith-Albert-Simmons-Kemoeatu-Colon

I bet as soon as we pull that transition tag, Starks is gone, unless we resign him long term, but I dont think we have enough money for that.

I could see Wilson or Crocker starting for us, but I would rather have Wilson as he can also play some corner. But since we get Cason in the draft, I want Crocker.

mikehop05
03-11-2008, 10:32 PM
This is what I think we will do. I think we will pull the transition tag away from Starks, which means we can sign one or two more free agents. I say Keyaron Fox and Euguene Wilson or Chris Crocker. We reconstructure Kendall Simmons which gives us an extra few million to work with.

This is what our draft could look like:

1) Brandon Albert G Virginia
2) Antoine Cason CB Arizona
3) Kendall Langford DE Hampton
4) Paul Hubbard WR Wisconsin
5) Fernando Velasco G/C Georgia

I see us resigning Marvel Smith to a multi year deal. We draft a first round tackle next year as Marvel is injury prone and getting older.

I see our line as this next year:

Smith-Albert-Simmons-Kemoeatu-Colon

I bet as soon as we pull that transition tag, Starks is gone, unless we resign him long term, but I dont think we have enough money for that.

I could see Wilson or Crocker starting for us, but I would rather have Wilson as he can also play some corner. But since we get Cason in the draft, I want Crocker.

decent draft

many other questions though...

why do you think we will pull the tag from starks?

what makes you think we will RESTRUCTURE simmons contract?

and why do you think we will re-sign smith... who as you said, is old and injury prone... not to mention will probably look for about 7mil/year

TheWood56
03-11-2008, 11:05 PM
For the record, I don't like Crocker and really hope the Steelers don't sign him. I could certainly live with Wilson though.

TheWood56
03-11-2008, 11:13 PM
that is interesting...do you think we would take groves at 23 though?

Honestly, I can't see it. I can't see us going LB in rounds 1 and 2 last year, and going LB once again in round 1 this year. I just can't see it.

Saying that though, we don't have a 3rd OLB, and if Harrison does have to serve a couple of games from suspension, who's gonna start opposite Woodley at OLB for us? Andre Farzier? I don't think so. I'm not saying we will draft him at 23 because Harrison may possibly serve a suspension from the league, but we don't have a future ROLB to pair up with Woodley, and we have no OLB depth either. Also, with Tomlin personally attendeing Auburns pro day, I think that at least accounts for something.

If we drafted Groves, in 2009, I could see our LB core looking like:

Groves - Timmons - Harrison - Woodley

That would be awesome IMO. All we'd need to worry about would be slowly grooming an ILB to eventually replace Harrison. I could certainly live with this scenario.

Hines
03-11-2008, 11:25 PM
decent draft

many other questions though...

why do you think we will pull the tag from starks?

what makes you think we will RESTRUCTURE simmons contract?

and why do you think we will re-sign smith... who as you said, is old and injury prone... not to mention will probably look for about 7mil/year

I read that we could remove it so we can get more money under the cap to sign free agents, ect. I also read that the STeelers are talking to Simmons about restructure his contract, I dont know for sure if he will do it or not, but I read that they will talk to him about it. The Trib and Gazette both said that the Steelers are going to approach Smith about a contract extension. Why I have no idea, but I guess they are. I don think Smith will demand 7 million, but it could be the same.

TheWood56
03-12-2008, 05:20 AM
Yeah, I heard that the Steelers will eventually remove the t-tag from Starks, and I also heard somewhere that they're thinking about or talking to Smith about possibly extending his contract.

I haven't heard anything about the Steelers talking to Simmons and possibly restructuring his contract though.

steel man
03-12-2008, 07:56 AM
i know that this will not happen but i would love to see our draft look like this

1)James Hardy - WR
2)Chilo Rachal - OG
3)Mike Pollack - C
4)Owen Schmitt - FB/RB
5)Darnell Terrell - CB
6)Johnny Dingle - DE

this is a draft that i would be happy with
if we resign Starks then our O-Line could look like this

LT-Starks
LG-Rachal
C-Pollack
RG-Kemo
RT-Colon

with Simmons, Smith, Essex as good back ups, but i know that we do not play rookies most of the time so that prob. would be our line in '09' but you never know.

Hines
03-12-2008, 08:15 AM
i know that this will not happen but i would love to see our draft look like this

1)James Hardy - WR
2)Chilo Rachal - OG
3)Mike Pollack - C
4)Owen Schmitt - FB/RB
5)Darnell Terrell - CB
6)Johnny Dingle - DE

LT-Starks
LG-Rachal
C-Pollack
RG-Kemo
RT-Colon

with Simmons, Smith, Essex as good back ups, but i know that we do not play rookies most of the time so that prob. would be our line in '09' but you never know.

I heard on the NFL Network that the Steelers wont go WR in round 1, but in the later rounds. It will be a tall reciever too.

Jakey
03-12-2008, 08:31 AM
Prospects videos

Chris Williams - http://video.msn.com/video.aspx?mkt=en-US&brand=foxsports&vid=537a2e69-6926-4974-9bfe-b522a8efdc95

Jeff Otah - http://video.msn.com/video.aspx?mkt=en-US&brand=foxsports&vid=d699c4b8-65bd-483d-bb44-317db4cd07db

Branden Albert - http://video.msn.com/video.aspx?mkt=en-US&brand=foxsports&vid=33eda11f-028e-4840-9fc2-e5c2817bc25d

Carl Nicks - http://video.msn.com/video.aspx?mkt=en-US&brand=foxsports&vid=fb79fe46-0c8d-4070-8432-a996f2706c0f

Kentwan Balmer - http://video.msn.com/video.aspx?mkt=en-US&brand=foxsports&vid=97243b46-ddac-4a9c-85d6-26153b91be5e

Keith Rivers - http://video.msn.com/video.aspx?mkt=en-US&brand=foxsports&vid=0ced5af5-9c7a-431e-b391-44651166ecb3

Leodis McKelvin - http://video.msn.com/video.aspx?mkt=en-US&brand=foxsports&vid=0c903e37-1131-483e-b92c-91bef1af1e54

Brandon Flowers - http://video.msn.com/video.aspx?mkt=en-US&brand=foxsports&vid=a80775e4-9ae6-49cf-9e18-19c0c5f247e2

Kenny Phillips - http://video.msn.com/video.aspx?mkt=en-US&brand=foxsports&vid=ef48214c-9bb1-4773-992b-8695e6315144

Mario Manningham - http://video.msn.com/video.aspx?mkt=en-US&brand=foxsports&vid=43a431a3-0470-412a-ae60-171f5f975dd9

Malcom Kelly - http://video.msn.com/video.aspx?mkt=en-US&brand=foxsports&vid=d0ca84b9-b9d6-4a53-9f38-15d81cfb1fc3

Early Doucet - http://video.msn.com/video.aspx?mkt=en-US&brand=foxsports&vid=b91ba272-bb0d-483c-a284-e8997a2a9e3a

Devin Thomas - http://video.msn.com/video.aspx?mkt=en-US&brand=foxsports&vid=d61a9c18-59d3-4e7d-abeb-2e89e314c879

Andre Caldwell - http://video.msn.com/video.aspx?mkt=en-US&brand=foxsports&vid=c66053ac-08b6-4b30-98f9-28ea5f24e9d3

James Hardy - http://video.msn.com/video.aspx?mkt=en-US&brand=foxsports&vid=44607160-be97-433c-87c2-186ca826e953

Limas Sweed - http://video.msn.com/video.aspx?mkt=en-US&brand=foxsports&vid=2e1da1a2-ef5d-4fa7-968b-6b960a908a7d

Desean Jackson - http://video.msn.com/video.aspx?mkt=en-US&brand=foxsports&vid=29f656f1-e1f9-4540-a24a-19326ef5767c

Lawrence Jackson - http://video.msn.com/video.aspx?mkt=en-US&brand=foxsports&vid=cd87a052-1e81-4ebe-98ac-ff3b7a4c6150

Quentin Groves - http://video.msn.com/video.aspx?mkt=en-US&brand=foxsports&vid=91c25418-8836-46d5-b83f-a03ef0f1fa70

Red Bryant - http://video.msn.com/video.aspx?mkt=en-US&brand=foxsports&vid=c44d2b47-2c01-4e94-9123-bea1ae533af1

Beau Bell - http://video.msn.com/video.aspx?mkt=en-US&brand=foxsports&vid=7b1c84cc-0986-403b-89e9-5cbabcfd01b1

Curtis Lofton - http://video.msn.com/video.aspx?mkt=en-US&brand=foxsports&vid=d7716089-4904-41e4-8f3e-dcc254894c7b

Erin Henderson - http://video.msn.com/video.aspx?mkt=en-US&brand=foxsports&vid=9baf9dfc-1cdf-44e1-95b4-64bb17e9b2a6

Shawn Crable - http://video.msn.com/video.aspx?mkt=en-US&brand=foxsports&vid=f4bc5e74-c232-4166-9f77-b2d33fc29ad9

Dejuan Tribble - http://video.msn.com/video.aspx?mkt=en-US&brand=foxsports&vid=d3cff2f0-8c41-4f11-8e35-e1a01cb864f0

steel man
03-12-2008, 09:02 AM
http://news.steelers.com/article/87520/

we signed Keyaron Fox-LB for back up

Jakey
03-12-2008, 09:07 AM
^ I think that is a good move...he will add depth at ILB and he is a trusted special teams player. And they are both things we need. I think we can cross off ILB as a draft pick now...with Farrior, Timmons, Foote and Fox, we have a solid group there!

steel man
03-12-2008, 09:10 AM
what do you guys think if this mock happened?

1)Chris Williams - OT
2)Chilo Rachal - OG ...... (if not there then Roy Schuening - OG)
3)Milke Pollack - C ....(may have to switch 2rd and 3rd if we get Roy)
4)Antwaun Molden - CB...(Darnell Terrell - CB) i like Owen Schmitt - FB/RB here but i know i will get raged if i pick him
5)Paul Hubbard/Marcus Monk - WR
6)Johnny Dingle - DE

1)James Hardy - WR
2)Chilo Rachal - OG
3)Mike Pollack - C
4)Owen Schmitt - FB/RB
5)Darnell Terrell - CB
6)Johnny Dingle - DE

LT-Starks
LG-Rachal
C-Pollack
RG-Kemo
RT-Colon

I heard on the NFL Network that the Steelers wont go WR in round 1, but in the later rounds. It will be a tall reciever too.

the 1st one is the mock that i said that i think could very well happen. the 2nd if you read it i said that thats what i would LIKE to happen. i know they will not go WR in the 1st when our O-Line is so bad, we have a lot bigger needs then WR, but it would be nice to have someone in the Randy Moss mode.

steel man
03-12-2008, 09:16 AM
i think that we will have a good pick up with Matt Trannon. i think he will make the team and end up being our 4th WR on the depth chart to start the season and could very well move up to 3rd beating Washington out, once him and Ben get on the same page and i think Ben will want to work with him a lot to try and make that connection.

ryanrayne
03-12-2008, 11:30 AM
Fox is a nice addition. He will definately help on ST. At 6'3 235 that makes him the tallest of the linebackers now that 6'4 Hagans is OUT. At 26 he is still young enough to stay around for a few years in the Clint Kreiwalt mode. Maybe the Steelers do not have to draft a LB this year. The might find a late flyer of another UDFA gem (ie. Harrison-James)

Hines
03-12-2008, 03:12 PM
If Fox plays well this year, I could possibly see him taking Farriors spot when its all said and done. Him and Daryl Smith were really productive linebackers coming out of Georgia Tech, but hasnt produced right. I think with our success of developing linebackers, we could have ourselves a gem. But for now, he is our ST ace. In other news, if you guys didnt report this, Donnie Nickey is visiting us for special teams as well. I dont really like him as I would rather have Eugune Wilson or Chris Crocker instead of Nickey.

mikehop05
03-12-2008, 05:44 PM
why is everyone talking about fox asa ILB?

he isa OLB

TheWood56
03-13-2008, 01:04 AM
why is everyone talking about fox asa ILB?

he isa OLB

4-3 OLB. I'd say he's easily best suited for ILB in a 3-4 defense. He's certainly no pass rusher, though he may have some potential at ILB. I'd say he's purely for ST's purposes and for some solid depth also, though it wouldn't totally surprise me if they may have bigger things in mind for him down the track.

Mr. Stiller
03-13-2008, 03:50 AM
Hubbard or Marcus Monk ?

Paul Hubbard is like Ike taylor playing WR.

Santonio10
03-13-2008, 12:31 PM

That wouldn't be good haha

steel man
03-13-2008, 03:47 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3291948

would it be worth taking a look at Kevin Jones since he is being released?

steel man
03-13-2008, 03:48 PM

what doe that mean great talent but no hands....lol

mikehop05
03-13-2008, 04:28 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3291948

would it be worth taking a look at Kevin Jones since he is being released?

no

10char

DeathbyStat
03-13-2008, 10:14 PM
no

10char

Dude can't stay healthy...i agree its a no

Hines
03-13-2008, 10:18 PM
We already have Mwelde Moore, we dont need another running back IMO.

steel man
03-13-2008, 10:37 PM
i was just seeing what you guys thought and i agree that we do not need anymore RB's except Owen Schmitt (and i guess he is really a FB anyway..lol)

Hines
03-14-2008, 02:54 PM
The Steelers met free agent C Justin Hartwig and S Donnie Nickey on Friday.

Nickey is a special teamer. The Steelers want competition for Sean Mahan at center, but after Ben Roethlisberger's signing, have less cap room than any other team. They may only be able to offer deals for around the minimum.

Hines
03-14-2008, 03:02 PM
Our coaches were at Clark Atlantas pro day to watch Curtis Johnson, and they were also at Georgia Tech watching Phillip Wheeler and Gary Guyton. I guess this means we will be looking at linebackers at the draft even with the signing of Fox.

steelersfan27
03-14-2008, 05:09 PM
Our coaches were at Clark Atlantas pro day to watch Curtis Johnson, and they were also at Georgia Tech watching Phillip Wheeler and Gary Guyton. I guess this means we will be looking at linebackers at the draft even with the signing of Fox.

if fox is an ILB, we definitely need some solid depth at OLB IMO.

steel man
03-14-2008, 10:29 PM
do you guys think we need a S in the draft?

if so what do you guys know about Josh Barrett and about what round do you guys think he will be drafted in?

TheWood56
03-15-2008, 02:48 AM
I just wanna say Jakey's new Ike Taylor sig is awesome. :cool:

I wouldn't be totally upset either if I found a LaMarr Woodley sig like that in my PM box. ;)

Hines
03-15-2008, 12:42 PM
I hope we sign Justin Hartwig. Reason is if we sign him, we move Mahan to LG where he was a pretty good guard in Tampa. That means we really dont have to go oline in the draft. I could see us spending a third rounder or fourth rounder on a lineman, but thats it. The rest we can spend on improving our defense and giving Ben more weapons.

PittPete
03-15-2008, 01:25 PM
I'd like to see us sign Hartwig and put him right in at center. the only place I'd like to see Mahan is starting for one of the other afc north teams. Imagine him trying to block Casey!

steelersfan27
03-15-2008, 04:35 PM
ya, about sigs jakey. could you make me one? James Harrison?

Jakey
03-15-2008, 04:50 PM
ya, about sigs jakey. could you make me one? James Harrison?

Yup no probs! Do you want it the same as mine and TheWoods (which are very similar) or something abit different???