85 Overall) Jeremy Thompson, DE/OLB, Wake Forest ~ 6'5 265lbs
117 Overall) Doug Legursky, C/G, Marshall ~ 6'3 312lbs
149 Overall) Keilen Dykes, DE, WVU ~ 6'4 305lbs
181 Overall) Mario Urrutia, WR, Louisville ~ 6'6 232lbs

Additions:

Thompson, Urrutia, Legursky, Dykes

Subtractions:

I don't feel like lookingit up

Oh no CB is missing.. 2009 Draft. Malcolm Jenkins.

Amen he would have been the first corner taken this year if he came out

AllDayFootball724
03-29-2008, 11:39 PM
Jenkins damn he was a top 10 pick this year probably next year its almost a lock. Also with that Lb, James Laturistus i slaughtered his name, is going to be top 10 as well.

Mr. Stiller wat would our draft look like if we stayed put in the first and second moved up in the third, or drop back in the second.

Mr. Stiller
03-30-2008, 01:54 AM
Jenkins damn he was a top 10 pick this year probably next year its almost a lock. Also with that Lb, James Laturistus i slaughtered his name, is going to be top 10 as well.

Mr. Stiller wat would our draft look like if we stayed put in the first and second moved up in the third, or drop back in the second.

I honestly can't say what it would definitely look like. I could speculate but i'll do it after a night of rest.

Jakey
03-30-2008, 07:02 PM
I have officially made Chilo Rachal my favouritre OG prospect in the draft! After watching footge of both Albert and Rachal, i have come to the conclusion that Rachal would be a better fit in the burgh...he is much stronger at the POA, and gets a monster push in the run game, he has a badass 1st puch and plays with a nasty demeanor. Albert is more athletic, but Rachal has above average athletisism for an OG, and he is more than adequate at trapping and pulling. My only questio would be...where to draft him??? 23 is a touch too early, and he will be gone in round 2.

Mr. Stiller
03-30-2008, 07:04 PM
I have officially made Chilo Rachal my favouritre OG prospect in the draft! After watching footge of both Albert and Rachal, i have come to the conclusion that Rachal would be a better fit in the burgh...he is much stronger at the POA, and gets a monster push in the run game, he has a badass 1st puch and plays with a nasty demeanor. Albert is more athletic, but Rachal has above average athletisism for an OG, and he is more than adequate at trapping and pulling. My only questio would be...where to draft him??? 23 is a touch too early, and he will be gone in round 2.

Add the fact that Simmons could look really good next to Marvel Smith and Hartwig (And possibly a better C/LT in the future. Rachal is the epitomy of RG's)

Jakey
03-30-2008, 07:08 PM
I agree, and i see he is high on your big board. Would you draft him at 23???

mikehop05
03-30-2008, 07:44 PM
i think it would be a shame to draft him that high... especially with some of the talent still available

though having said that i wouldnt hate that pick.

Hines
03-30-2008, 07:50 PM

I think Mike McGlyn from Pittsburgh and Roy Scheuning are great fits for Pittsburgh as they are some tough SOB.

mikehop05
03-30-2008, 08:30 PM
the thing i like about rachael is that hes coming out for a reason... he has a reason to play well and to give it all hes got

not saying that other players won't, its just that rachael is playing basically professionally so he can pay for, i believe, his mothers medical treatment?

AllDayFootball724
03-30-2008, 08:33 PM
Well we could always go WR in the first and then move up in the second. Third we could go DE or Cb with either a 5 or 6 round pick left we could go cb or De if we go corner in the third.
That way we could have WR, OG, CB and De, probably one more other pick if we get any compensation picks.

Mr. Stiller
03-30-2008, 10:57 PM
I agree, and i see he is high on your big board. Would you draft him at 23???

No.. I'd take him anywhere between 35-50 though.

mikehop05
03-30-2008, 11:02 PM
No.. I'd take him anywhere between 35-50 though.

interesting you would say this...

i was just thinking it could be a good possibility that we trade up for him in the second...

we have a history of moving up to get guys we want

DeathbyStat
03-31-2008, 10:41 AM

It depends on Jame's forty time....and if he test postive for steroids

Hines
03-31-2008, 03:32 PM
Coach Mike Tomlin suggested that the Steelers are high on second-year wideout Dallas Baker.

Baker spent his rookie season on the practice squad. "He made plays on a daily basis (in practice) that raised some eyebrows," Tomlin noted. Baker could emerge as Pittsburgh's fourth receiver, replacing Cedrick Wilson.

Hines
03-31-2008, 03:33 PM
Steelers coach Mike Tomlin says he hasn't given up on S Anthony Smith.

Smith was promising as a rookie in '06, but became a big liability in '07 after his failed guarantee of a win over the Patriots. He enters the spring behind Ryan Clark at free safety. Smith needs to regain his confidence to pass him.

Hines
03-31-2008, 03:33 PM
Hines Ward (knee scope) will rejoin the Steelers for their offseason conditioning program on Monday.

The Steelers and a few other clubs begin their program today. Ward has been running on his own and is likely close to fully recovered from the surgery. "Things are going well with him," coach Mike Tomlin confirmed.

Willie Parker (broken fibula) has been doing running on his own at his home in North Carolina since last season ended.The Steelers said in January that if

Parker had broken his leg earlier in the season, he could've played in their last few games. They're "optimistic" that Parker will return at full speed, but he figures to be limited during OTAs.

Mr. Goosemahn
03-31-2008, 10:23 PM
Cardinals have signed QB Brian St. Pierre.

Mr. Stiller
03-31-2008, 11:54 PM
interesting you would say this...

i was just thinking it could be a good possibility that we trade up for him in the second...

we have a history of moving up to get guys we want

I'd rather find a dance partner to move down with than to fight to move up with.

if we had a 7th or a few comps, I'd be more inclined, but, with 6 picks we can't afford to trade up.

Hines
04-01-2008, 12:04 AM
I like that the Steelers are happy with Dallas "Touchdown Maker" Baker. He could make a better impact then Cedrick did and provide that tall reciever Ben wants. I do want to improve our recieving corps, but I dont think we go tall WR.

TheWood56
04-01-2008, 12:14 AM
I'd rather find a dance partner to move down with than to fight to move up with.

if we had a 7th or a few comps, I'd be more inclined, but, with 6 picks we can't afford to trade up.

I'd much rather trade down also and pick up a couple of extra picks then try and trade up and lose a couple of picks, especially seeing as though we only have 6 picks to begin with.

mikehop05
04-01-2008, 01:41 PM
I'd much rather trade down also and pick up a couple of extra picks then try and trade up and lose a couple of picks, especially seeing as though we only have 6 picks to begin with.

yeah i mean who wouldnt rather trade down but thats not as likely

and given our history theres a greater chance of us trading up than down

terribletowel39
04-01-2008, 01:43 PM
yeah i mean who wouldnt rather trade down but thats not as likely

and given our history theres a greater chance of us trading up than down
F that. we better atleast stay put and grab Groves. that would be absolutely sexual with those two rushing the QB. well depending on if Groves reaches his potential.

AllDayFootball724
04-01-2008, 02:59 PM
Honestly though how many of our late round picks work out, I think we need more quality then bodies.

Hines
04-01-2008, 03:15 PM
I want Dennis Dixon and/or Bernard Morris as my number 3 qb or as a reciever who can provide a trick play ability.

AllDayFootball724
04-01-2008, 03:17 PM
Xavier Lee

DeathbyStat
04-01-2008, 03:18 PM
I want Dennis Dixon and/or Bernard Morris as my number 3 qb or as a reciever who can provide a trick play ability.

Yeah if Dixon can pick his knee ligiments of the turf he could be a good 6th round pick

AllDayFootball724
04-01-2008, 03:20 PM
No way Xavier Lee would be way better for trick plays

terribletowel39
04-01-2008, 03:21 PM
we should just find some way to manipulate the system and draft McFadden in the 4th and he could be trick play guy. He can throw.

Hines
04-01-2008, 03:23 PM
Since he will be a late round pick now, anyone want to take a flyer on Colt Brennan?

AllDayFootball724
04-01-2008, 03:23 PM
Talk to Al Davis to go crazy draft McFadden and then trade him for a 4th round pick.

AllDayFootball724
04-01-2008, 03:24 PM
I want to see Colt do good or start somewhere some time so I think no Colt for us

terribletowel39
04-01-2008, 03:24 PM
Since he will be a late round pick now, anyone want to take a flyer on Colt Brennan?
Hasn't he been a late round pick, you sly devil you.

mikehop05
04-01-2008, 04:25 PM
i dont think brennan will succeed in anything other than a west coast offense

Santonio10
04-01-2008, 07:36 PM
i dont think brennan will succeed in anything other than a west coast offense

I agree 100%

TheWood56
04-01-2008, 11:10 PM

I reckon we should take a flyer on Matt Jones who'll most likely be cut by the Jags after the draft, as I think he has the potential to at least beat out Nate Washington if he wanted to, and considering he was a former QB, he'd give us that trick play option. He'd cost very little IMO, and I really think a change of scenary is what he needs, and considering he would be somewhat fighting for his life in the NFL if he does indeed get cut by the Jags, that may light a fire under him. Definately worth a flyer IMO if he becomes available, and IIRC, we were interested in him when he came out also, so it could be a possibility.

AllDayFootball724
04-01-2008, 11:21 PM
Matt Jones needed better coaching, and the Jags aren't to great at developing WRs, or at least it seems that way. Since they have very little luck with there WRs.

mikehop05
04-01-2008, 11:35 PM
Yeah I know we were really interested in Jones when he came out...

Though apparently we are really impressed with Baker, and he has a good shot at being our #4 receiver.

Hines
04-01-2008, 11:40 PM
I would love to pick up Matt Jones. Hines-Holmes-Jones-Baker-Washington is pretty good IMO and we have Jones and Baker who can team with Heath and Spaeth in the redzone.

TheWood56
04-02-2008, 06:29 AM
Yeah I know we were really interested in Jones when he came out...

Though apparently we are really impressed with Baker, and he has a good shot at being our #4 receiver.

Nothing wrong with a little competition though.

Mr. Stiller
04-02-2008, 08:31 AM
I reckon we should take a flyer on Matt Jones who'll most likely be cut by the Jags after the draft, as I think he has the potential to at least beat out Nate Washington if he wanted to, and considering he was a former QB, he'd give us that trick play option. He'd cost very little IMO, and I really think a change of scenary is what he needs, and considering he would be somewhat fighting for his life in the NFL if he does indeed get cut by the Jags, that may light a fire under him. Definately worth a flyer IMO if he becomes available, and IIRC, we were interested in him when he came out also, so it could be a possibility.

He's lazy. Word is he has a worse work ethic than Trai Essex.

He got his pay and now he doesn't want to play. Ricardo Colclough?

AllDayFootball724
04-02-2008, 08:31 AM
nothing wrong having 5 wrs

Mr. Stiller
04-02-2008, 08:32 AM
No way Xavier Lee would be way better for trick plays

Xavier Lee isn't mechanically consistent like Morris though Similar Speed. Dennis Dixon ran a 4.42 last spring.. so.. he would certainly be the better option in my eyes.

Hines
04-02-2008, 10:42 PM
Cardinals restricted free agent DE Antonio Smith reportedly wants to be traded.

He'll skip Arizona's offseason program. The Cards gave Smith a lofty first-round tender for $2.017 million, but that apparently wasn't enough. Due to the team's cap issues, Smith likely realizes he won't get an extension soon

I would love to give up a second rounder and pay him. He really progressed last season and I think he could be a nice player for us.

brat316
04-02-2008, 11:03 PM
I don't know he is going to be a backup here. And he is holding out because he probably knows they are going to bring in another DE to challenge him in that 3-4.

I would rather try and get someone through the draft then him.

Hines
04-02-2008, 11:26 PM
I don't know he is going to be a backup here. And he is holding out because he probably knows they are going to bring in another DE to challenge him in that 3-4.

I would rather try and get someone through the draft then him.

He is better then Keisel. I am sure he would start. Plus, he is only 26 and I would love to get him as he really impressed me last season.

Mr. Stiller
04-03-2008, 09:13 AM
Cardinals restricted free agent DE Antonio Smith reportedly wants to be traded.

He'll skip Arizona's offseason program. The Cards gave Smith a lofty first-round tender for $2.017 million, but that apparently wasn't enough. Due to the team's cap issues, Smith likely realizes he won't get an extension soon

I would love to give up a second rounder and pay him. He really progressed last season and I think he could be a nice player for us.

Is there a player in the NFL or NCAA that you don't like or wouldn't be a great player for us??

Hines
04-03-2008, 02:39 PM
Is there a player in the NFL or NCAA that you don't like or wouldn't be a great player for us??

Actually there is...I dont want or like Chris Henry nor do I like or want TJ Housh. I dont like Gosder Cherlius and I would hate if we picked him.

terribletowel39
04-03-2008, 02:42 PM
Oh Seth. I'm guessing his question was rhetorical and in addition to that you only gave three options. There has to be more. We want them all listed. Go.

Hines
04-03-2008, 02:56 PM
Oh Seth. I'm guessing his question was rhetorical and in addition to that you only gave three options. There has to be more. We want them all listed. Go.

Dont call me by my real name on this forum. I have a whole bunch that I dont feel like listing.

terribletowel39
04-03-2008, 02:58 PM
Dont call me by my real name on this forum. I have a whole bunch that I dont feel like listing.
Oh calm yourself. Everyone knows thats your real name on the forum already. And I gotcha.

Hines
04-03-2008, 03:04 PM
Oh calm yourself. Everyone knows thats your real name on the forum already. And I gotcha.

But you dont have to call me it...

TheWood56
04-04-2008, 03:05 AM

I didn't ..... but now I do. :)

Mr. Stiller
04-04-2008, 04:07 AM
My ATL Trade (1.23 for 2.37+3.69)

2a) Cliff Avril, OLB, Purdue
2b) Chilo Rachal, OG, USC
3a) Kendall Langford, DE, Hampton
3b ~ Trade down for a 4th and 2 5ths.
4a) Martin Rucker, WR/TE, Missouri
4b) Gary Guyton, ILB, Georgia Tech
5a) Doug Legursky, C/G, Marshall
5b) Marcus Monk, WR, Arkansas
5c) Orlando Scandrick, CB, Boise State
6) Vincent Redd, OLB, Liberty

Jakey
04-04-2008, 04:39 AM
I just saw an interview with Kentwan Balmer, he was talking about how Mean Joe Green inspired him to play football, and that is who he tries to mold his game around. Sounds like he would be motivated to play in the 'burgh, what do yall think???

TheWood56
04-04-2008, 05:27 AM
Stiller, I thought you weren't too high on Avril, and I thought you said the only reason he's a 2nd rounder now is because of his 40 time. I also thought you said you'd much rather Jeremy Thompson in the 3rd. What's going on? :confused:

DeathbyStat
04-04-2008, 08:05 AM
I just saw an interview with Kentwan Balmer, he was talking about how Mean Joe Green inspired him to play football, and that is who he tries to mold his game around. Sounds like he would be motivated to play in the 'burgh, what do yall think???

I don't know anything about Balmer...I haven't seen the man play so I can't make an assessment. I haven't even seen highlights

Hines
04-04-2008, 08:25 AM
I read that the Steelers are really, really interested in Avril. Its on the Trib.

TheWood56
04-04-2008, 08:53 AM
I read that the Steelers are really, really interested in Avril. Its on the Trib.

Yeah, IIRC, they apparently really like his skill set and his athletic ability. I think he'd be a good pick up for us in the 2nd round.

DeathbyStat
04-05-2008, 12:31 PM
Do you guys think that that if Kenny Phillips falls to us would we take him?

mikehop05
04-05-2008, 02:07 PM
Do you guys think that that if Kenny Phillips falls to us would we take him?

i really don't know, part of me wants to say yes, part of me wants to hold on to the hope that anthony smith brings..

honestly if i had to choose i would say no.

along those lines, what about keith rivers?

Hines
04-05-2008, 02:09 PM
i really don't know, part of me wants to say yes, part of me wants to hold on to the hope that anthony smith brings..

If Rivers was on the board at 23 and we did not select him, I would be plenty upset.

DeathbyStat
04-05-2008, 03:45 PM

I don't think he could fall that far

TheWood56
04-06-2008, 02:18 AM
No way Rivers falls to 23. He won't get past Denver at 12 IMO.

mikehop05
04-06-2008, 03:06 PM
No way Rivers falls to 23. He won't get past Denver at 12 IMO.

who knows? crazier things have happened

but i dont think i would take him now that i think about it more... i dont thnk he projects well to our scheme

Mr. Stiller
04-06-2008, 11:42 PM

but i dont think i would take him now that i think about it more... i dont thnk he projects well to our scheme

I think he does... just that we alreayd have Timmons where he projects.

mikehop05
04-07-2008, 12:15 AM
i dont think he "thumps" as well as timmons can.. i dont know i just see him as a 4 - 3 will

steelernation77
04-07-2008, 12:22 AM
Steelers apparently really like Groves
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribunereview/sports/steelers/s_560987.html

Auburn defensive end/outside linebacker Quentin Groves sacks quarterbacks, which is why the Steelers attended his Pro Day last month and arranged for his official interview today at the team's South Side facility.

"Ever since I was little, I was always a Steeler fan,'' said Groves, who grew up in Mississippi and told people at the NFL Scouting Combine in February that he wants the Steelers to draft him. "When I saw that black and gold for the first time, it was like, 'man, I love the way those guys play defense.'

"Coach Tomlin was giving me some words of inspiration because I was the only one doing the linebacker drills. He was urging me from the sideline,'' Groves said. "He was saying, 'C'mon, Big Q, don't let them see you tired.' I said, 'I got you coach.' For a head coach to do that speaks volumes for him as a person.''

This is the same guy who wrote about how much the Steelers liked Timmons leading up to last year's draft.
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/blairsvilledispatch/s_500438.html

TheWood56
04-07-2008, 01:24 AM

Crazier things have happened, but if everyone stays put, which is unlikely as there'll most likely be a couple of trades in the 1st, I honestly can't see him making it past Denver, and if he does, I'm sure someone will trade up and pick him up before he makes it to 23.

TheWood56
04-07-2008, 01:37 AM
Steelers apparently really like Groves
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribunereview/sports/steelers/s_560987.html

Auburn defensive end/outside linebacker Quentin Groves sacks quarterbacks, which is why the Steelers attended his Pro Day last month and arranged for his official interview today at the team's South Side facility.

"Ever since I was little, I was always a Steeler fan,'' said Groves, who grew up in Mississippi and told people at the NFL Scouting Combine in February that he wants the Steelers to draft him. "When I saw that black and gold for the first time, it was like, 'man, I love the way those guys play defense.'

"Coach Tomlin was giving me some words of inspiration because I was the only one doing the linebacker drills. He was urging me from the sideline,'' Groves said. "He was saying, 'C'mon, Big Q, don't let them see you tired.' I said, 'I got you coach.' For a head coach to do that speaks volumes for him as a person.''

This is the same guy who wrote about how much the Steelers liked Timmons leading up to last year's draft.
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/blairsvilledispatch/s_500438.html

Very interesting. Reading that, you'd think there'd be a very good chance that if he's sitting there at 23, he'd be the pick, but Jim Wexell said that the Steelers don't feel he has the ability to drop and play in pass coverage, and he also went on to say that no one was suppose to hear it, thus ruling out the chance of it purely being a smokescreen. I just wonder what that would do to his chances of becoming a Steeler if the Steelers really do feel this way and thought enough of it to be talking about it for Jim Wexell to over hear it.

Hines
04-07-2008, 08:20 AM
I think he would be an excellent pick up. He might be raw going into coverage, but so was Woodley and look at what he has become. I would be happy with the Groves pick.

ryanrayne
04-07-2008, 05:51 PM
More draft prospects visit Steelers
Monday, April 07, 2008
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Two more college prospects paid visits to the Steelers today: quarterback Dennis Dixon of Oregon and linebacker Quentin Groves of Auburn.

TheWood56
04-08-2008, 12:01 AM
I think he would be an excellent pick up. He might be raw going into coverage, but so was Woodley and look at what he has become. I would be happy with the Groves pick.

I think he'd be a pretty good pick up too, but Jim Wexell doesn't seem to think he'll be the pick.

ryanrayne
04-08-2008, 12:17 AM
I think the line needs a stud to groom first. UNLESS..a CB or highly touted LB falls

Hines
04-08-2008, 08:37 AM
I dont think we pick him either, but if we did, I wouldnt be mad or anything. But I dont understand why since we have Timmons, Woodley, Harrison, Farrior.

brat316
04-08-2008, 08:39 AM
who's contract is going to end also think of depth and ST value

Hines
04-08-2008, 08:43 AM
who's contract is going to end also think of depth and ST value

Farriors, but I would like to see Aaron Curry from next year to take his spot. I see him as a future Farrior. Other then that nobody. I dont see Harrison moving to the inside because he is an All-Pro outside linebacker. Draft is in like 2 weeks, I guess we will just have to wait and see how the cookie crumbles.

brat316
04-08-2008, 08:50 AM
Also we need ST bodies having Groves wouldn't be a bad idea would be just a bit of a reach I think. I see him more as a high second round.

Jakey
04-08-2008, 09:03 AM
No way...some people have groves going as early as Carolina...i think 23 would be good value!

TheWood56
04-08-2008, 09:10 AM
No way...some people have groves going as early as Carolina...i think 23 would be good value!

Yeah, I agree. I think Groves is pretty good value at 23.

Hines
04-08-2008, 09:37 AM
I think its good value, but do we really need ANOTHER first round LB? CB, OL, DL, WR are bigger needs then LB IMO.

Jakey
04-08-2008, 09:39 AM
With those LBers...our secondary would prolly be standing around bored all day, the quaterback would be on his ass every down!

brat316
04-08-2008, 09:40 AM
Yeah Cb is a need, with D. Town being what now 34. McFadden's in the contract year. Cb is a possible place to go, I hope though we don't pick Talib. If we do that is another step closer to that cover 2 scheme.

TheWood56
04-08-2008, 10:05 AM
I think its good value, but do we really need ANOTHER first round LB? CB, OL, DL, WR are bigger needs then LB IMO.

Honestly, I think we could use another 1st round LB, especially a top notch pass rusher. You list other positions that you think are bigger needs, but in the 1st round, would players at those positions be better picks then Groves at 23? Also, you have to think about who'll realistically be available at 23. Anyways, lets have a look:

CB:

Antoine Cason - Maybe (Really like both players)

Aqib Talib - No (Would prefer Groves and he maybe more of a FS anyways)

Flowers - No (More of a 2nd rounder now)

OL:

Albert - Yes (Pretty obvious, but won't be available at 23 anyways IMO)

Otah - No (Would prefer Groves as he may strictly be a RT only and also has a big bust factor)

Cherilus - No (Would prefer Groves and may strictly be a RT only)

DL:

Balmer - No (Would prefer Groves and also has a big bust factor aswell)

Merling - No (Would prefer Groves and may have trouble converting to 3-4 DE anyways)

WR:

Thomas - Yes (Really like Thomas, but won't be available at 23 anyways IMO)

Sweed - No (Was injured last season and would prefer Groves anyways)

Kelly - No (Really like him, but his knee problems scare me and he may be a reach at 23 anyways now)

Hardy - No (Maybe off the Steelers radar anyways given his off field problems in the past)

These are all players who could possibly be available when we're selecting at 23, and 2, possibly 3 players would be better selections then Groves at 23 IMO, and that's counting both Albert and Thomas aswell, who'll most likely be off the board by 23 anyways. That's just my opinion though.

Hines
04-08-2008, 10:20 AM
Honestly, I think we could use another. You list other positions that you think are bigger needs, but in the 1st round, would players at those positions be better picks then Groves at 23? Also, you have to think about who'll realistically be available. Anyways, lets have a look:

CB:

Antoine Cason - Maybe (Really like both players)

Aqib Talib - No (Would prefer Groves and he maybe more of a FS anyways)

Flowers - No (More of a 2nd rounder now)

OL:

Albert - Yes (Pretty obvious, but won't be available at 23 anyways IMO)

Otah - No (Would prefer Groves as he may strictly be a RT only and also has a big bust factor)

Cherilus - No (Would prefer Groves and may strictly be a RT only)

DL:

Balmer - No (Would prefer Groves and also has a big bust factor aswell)

Merling - No (Would prefer Groves and he may not be able to successfully transition to 3-4 DE anyways)

WR:

Thomas - Yes (Really like Thomas)

Sweed - No (Was injured last season and would prefer Groves anyways)

Kelly - No (Liked him before his knee problems, but you never know when it comes to knees and he may be a reach at 23 anyways now)

Hardy - No (Maybe off the Steelers radar anyways given his off field problems in the past)

These are all players who could possibly be available when we're selecting at 23, and only 2, maybe 3 players would be better selections then Groves at 23 IMO. I counted Albert aswell, who'll most likely be off the board by 23 anyways. Just my take on it though.

Ok, let me do it for you with the same players...

CB:

Cason- Yes I would take Cason over Groves in the first because Cason brings a playmaker with hands in that secondary and he will form with Ike to be a great 1-2 punch IMO.

Talib- If he can get his head on straight and play to his physical tools and ability, then yes. But in the mean time, I am not sure. I am neutrual with this pick.

Flowers- Not in round one. So no.

OL:

Albert- Favorite oline prospect in the draft. If he is there, we will select him. Yes I would take Albert over Groves.

Otah- We could use a mauler and thats what Otah is, but he also could scream bust and I am not sure I would like him. So no.

Cherlius- I have never liked him, but the Steelers might. I wouldnt be happy with the pick for the reason that I dont like him, but I think he can be really good for a really long time, so yes.

DL:

Balmer- If he gets motivated, I think he can be a great one. He said he wants to be the next Mean Joe, and all the great DTs in the league. He gets motivated, he could be special. I say yes.

Merling- Great run stuffer and could provide a good pass rush in time. I say yes. Would need to add weight though.

WR:

Thomas- Of course. Self explanatory.

Sweed- The best WR in this draft IMO. Yes.

Kelly- Before his injury, could make case for best WR in class. Has a great size, speed ratio. Yes.

Hardy- Against strong competiton, he didnt show up. I like him a lot though, so I say yes.

TheWood56
04-08-2008, 10:34 AM
Wow, I wasn't expecting you to select the majority of them over Groves, but oh well, different opinions I guess.

Hines
04-08-2008, 10:39 AM
Wow, I wasn't expecting you to select the majority of them over Groves, but oh well, different opinions I guess.

Its not like I dont like Groves nor would I want him, because I do. But we also have to look at need along with BPA at the same time. I could see us spending a 3rd or fourth rounder on a OLB but not the first.

Shane P. Hallam
04-08-2008, 10:41 AM
Also we need ST bodies having Groves wouldn't be a bad idea would be just a bit of a reach I think. I see him more as a high second round.

We absolutely do not need Groves. Do you remember last year? Either Timmons of Woodley will be on the bench this year in a similar role Groves would play. If we want to waste a pick, then we pick Groves.

Hines
04-08-2008, 10:46 AM
We absolutely do not need Groves. Do you remember last year? Either Timmons of Woodley will be on the bench this year in a similar role Groves would play. If we want to waste a pick, then we pick Groves.

Also on that note, Harrison is still 29 and has at least 3 full time seasons left before he declines IMO. Why would we want a first rounder to sit on the bench for 3 years then play?

TheWood56
04-08-2008, 11:02 AM
Also on that note, Harrison is still 29 and has at least 3 full time seasons left before he declines IMO. Why would we want a first rounder to sit on the bench for 3 years then play?

It wouldn't be 3 years. Groves would be a situational pass rusher in 08, then in 09, I could see Harrison shifting inside to replace Farrior and pair up with Timmons. After all, Harrison did apparently play some ILB when he was with us before, not necessarily come game day, but at training and stuff.

Hines
04-08-2008, 11:09 AM
It wouldn't be 3 years. Groves would be a situational pass rusher in 08, then in 09, I could see Harrison shifting inside to replace Farrior and pair up with Timmons. After all, Harrison did apparently play some ILB when he was with us before, not necessarily come game day, but at training and stuff.

Just because he played there a few times in practice, doesnt mean he will be ideal there. I think he has a few more high quality years left which means there wont be room for a first round OLB. I really dont think Harrison moves inside in all honesty.

Shane P. Hallam
04-08-2008, 11:17 AM

NO WAY do we move Harrison away from a Pro Bowl position, lol. And Timmons is still playing outside for the most part right now.

Groves is not the pick.

Hines
04-08-2008, 11:19 AM
NO WAY do we move Harrison away from a Pro Bowl position, lol. And Timmons is still playing outside for the most part right now.

Groves is not the pick.

Tomlin said himself that they are moving Timmons inside to compete with Foote for the job. I can see him taking the job IMO.

ryanrayne
04-08-2008, 11:56 AM
4 prospects visit Steelers

Tuesday, April 08, 2008

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Four more college prospects paid visits to the Steelers today: linebacker Bryan Smith of McNees State, cornerback Tracy Porter of Indiana, kick returner Matthew Slater of UCLA who is the son of former NFL tackle and Hall of Famer Jackie Slater, and defensive back Ryan Mundy of West Virgina.

First published on April 8, 2008 at 12:09 pm

Hines
04-08-2008, 11:58 AM
Smith and Porter are two players I like a lot. I dont know who Mathew Slater or Ryan Mundy are. Interesting.

mikehop05
04-08-2008, 11:59 AM

Groves is not the pick.

groves has more potential as a pass rusher than harrison does

harrison's stats were inflated with 3.5 of his 9 sacks coming against that dreaded bmore line

he also didnt have a sack in the last 5 regular season games..

he is not dominant.. he is a good olb but in a year he will be better inside

Mr. Stiller
04-08-2008, 12:00 PM
groves has more potential as a pass rusher than harrison does

harrison's stats were inflated with 3.5 of his 9 sacks coming against that dreaded bmore line

he also didnt have a sack in the last 5 regular season games..

he is not dominant.. he is a good olb but in a year he will be better inside

Yeah. He gets swallowed by bigger OT's.

It's pretty much looking like a lock for Harrison to be the LILB after this season.

Hines
04-08-2008, 12:06 PM
Matthew Slater looks good. Had a 29 return average with 3 tds last year. Not bad.

Shane P. Hallam
04-08-2008, 12:11 PM

It's pretty much looking like a lock for Harrison to be the LILB after this season.

Apparently he doesn't get swallowed up too much if he made the Pro Bowl, lol.

Hines
04-08-2008, 12:29 PM

According to who?

mikehop05
04-08-2008, 12:29 PM
Apparently he doesn't get swallowed up too much if he made the Pro Bowl, lol.

yeah and we all know that pro bowls are the ONLY WAY to measure success accurately

take away that baltimore game when he was up against practically nobody and he is just an everage 5 sack OLB and everyone here is loving the groves pick

half the reason harrison made the probowl was the ravens game which was on MNF where he had his only pick, 3 forced fumbles and 3.5 sacks against a banged up and down ravens team

Shane P. Hallam
04-08-2008, 12:34 PM
yeah and we all know that pro bowls are the ONLY WAY to measure success accurately

take away that baltimore game when he was up against practically nobody and he is just an everage 5 sack OLB and everyone here is loving the groves pick

half the reason harrison made the probowl was the ravens game which was on MNF where he had his only pick, 3 forced fumbles and 3.5 sacks against a banged up and down ravens team

I'm just saying, he made the Pro Bowl legit passed on play. It is ridiculous to think that we would move our best LB away from the spot he flourished in to put in a rookie. We won't draft Groves, enough said.

mikehop05
04-08-2008, 12:39 PM
I'm just saying, he made the Pro Bowl legit passed on play. It is ridiculous to think that we would move our best LB away from the spot he flourished in to put in a rookie. We won't draft Groves, enough said.

im not saying groves will start as a rookie... rookies rarely do start on defense anyways

but i do think that in a year groves will have a legit shot at taking over from harrison

Santonio10
04-08-2008, 12:53 PM
im not saying groves will start as a rookie... rookies rarely do start on defense anyways

but i do think that in a year groves will have a legit shot at taking over from harrison

I agree, theres no way he's gonna start as a rookie, especially over a pro bowler. But Harrisons stats were a little inflated due to a couple of really good games though.

DeathbyStat
04-08-2008, 12:53 PM
I don't know this looks good to me

Timmons MLB Harrison MLB

Groves OLB Woodley OLB

Hines
04-08-2008, 01:16 PM
We have greater needs then OLB. Next year we can look at one, but this year, lets get our **** oline fixed. Get a tall reciever. Get better backups on the dline then Kirchke and Eason. Get a corner to take over for Townsend and McFadden. Hell, get a saftey to knock Carter off the roster.

terribletowel39
04-08-2008, 02:05 PM
We have greater needs then OLB. Next year we can look at one, but this year, lets get our **** oline fixed. Get a tall reciever. Get better backups on the dline then Kirchke and Eason. Get a corner to take over for Townsend and McFadden. Hell, get a saftey to knock Carter off the roster.
There isn't gonna be an O-lineman available at 23. Williams and Albert are the only two that really interest me and they both will be gone. We don't need a WR in the first those are expected to start in the 2nd year. Ward isn't gonna retired after this year and we don't need a tall WR. We have Miller and Spaeth but our OC won't utilize them. You want to get better backups in the first?? We were 3rd against the pass last year. We aren't in any dire need of CB help right now either. Get a safety in the first just to knock Tyrone Carter off the roster?? And you think Groves will be a waste??

Hines
04-08-2008, 02:16 PM
There isn't gonna be an O-lineman available at 23. Williams and Albert are the only two that really interest me and they both will be gone. We don't need a WR in the first those are expected to start in the 2nd year. Ward isn't gonna retired after this year and we don't need a tall WR. We have Miller and Spaeth but our OC won't utilize them. You want to get better backups in the first?? We were 3rd against the pass last year. We aren't in any dire need of CB help right now either. Get a safety in the first just to knock Tyrone Carter off the roster?? And you think Groves will be a waste??

Why not reciever in the first? Ward is getting old, Washington is inconsistant, Reid cant stay healthy, Baker is a noname. Holmes and Hines are the only ones i feel comfortable with. The rookie can play 3rd reciever then his second year, go to number 1 and move Hines to the slot. Just because other oline dont interest you in the first, doesnt mean the Steelers arent interested. I wouldnt be happy, but I will live with the Gosder Cherlius pick. We need a corner because Deshea is ******* 34 years old, McFadden wants starter money and he is a FA. Do you want William *** to start? No, he is better as a nickle and dime. I mean saftey in general is a need, not in first round.

Outside linebacker is not a first round need for this football team. Third, fourth round would be good, but not first. I never said it would be a waste, because I would love the pick, but we have way more needs in the first then another olb.

If we trade down, then I would like it, but if we are still at 23 with no trade, Oline, Dline, WR, CB before Groves.

terribletowel39
04-08-2008, 02:28 PM
Why not reciever in the first? Ward is getting old, Washington is inconsistant, Reid cant stay healthy, Baker is a noname. Holmes and Hines are the only ones i feel comfortable with. The rookie can play 3rd reciever then his second year, go to number 1 and move Hines to the slot. Just because other oline dont interest you in the first, doesnt mean the Steelers arent interested. I wouldnt be happy, but I will live with the Gosder Cherlius pick. We need a corner because Deshea is ******* 34 years old, McFadden wants starter money and he is a FA. Do you want William *** to start? No, he is better as a nickle and dime. I mean saftey in general is a need, not in first round.

Outside linebacker is not a first round need for this football team. Third, fourth round would be good, but not first. I never said it would be a waste, because I would love the pick, but we have way more needs in the first then another olb.

If we trade down, then I would like it, but if we are still at 23 with no trade, Oline, Dline, WR, CB before Groves.
a WR isn't a need right now because Ben broke the Steelers TD record so our WR's are obviously doing something right.

I would be kinda upset if we got Cherilus, he is 2nd grade and we get him at 23?? naw i'll pass.

Townsend is still getting it done though. Don't fix what ain't broken. And Townsend has started for us for a long while now, and everyone has spoken of William *** as a Townsend clone, why couldn't *** start for us??

I agree with you that OLB isn't a desperate need right now. But Groves to me just has the potential to make you regret not signing him. 1-5 last year are kickin' themselves for not grabbing AD. Groves has the same potential to just manhandle OTs for years. I just don't see much better value.

Everyone that I would like over Groves, I just think will already be gone and he will be the best pick for the value when #23 rolls around.

Hines
04-08-2008, 02:38 PM
a WR isn't a need right now because Ben broke the Steelers TD record so our WR's are obviously doing something right.

I would be kinda upset if we got Cherilus, he is 2nd grade and we get him at 23?? naw i'll pass.

Townsend is still getting it done though. Don't fix what ain't broken. And Townsend has started for us for a long while now, and everyone has spoken of William *** as a Townsend clone, why couldn't *** start for us??

I agree with you that OLB isn't a desperate need right now. But Groves to me just has the potential to make you regret not signing him. 1-5 last year are kickin' themselves for not grabbing AD. Groves has the same potential to just manhandle OTs for years. I just don't see much better value.

Everyone that I would like over Groves, I just think will already be gone and he will be the best pick for the value when #23 rolls around.

I would feel a whole lot better if we had Kelly, Sweed, Thomas, Hardy over Washington. Those four have all higer value then Groves IMO. Yeah Ben broke records with our recievers, but imagine his numbers if Sweed, Kelly, Thomas, or Hardy were there for him to throw to with Moore, Parker, Ward, Holmes, Miller, Spaeth. Makes our offense more scary then it already is.

Cherlius dominated everything he did. Senior Bowl, Combine, Pro Day, everything. I think he is a legit lineman and a great pick for us. Sure fire first rounder, and yes I do not like him, but I am not going to knock him and say he isnt good when he is.

*** just screams zone corner and nickle and dime back. If Jenkins, Talib, Cason were there, I take them in a heartbeat over Groves. I would rather have those three then *** starting anyday.

Its a matter of value and need at the same time. I think we chose BPA with need involved in it.

terribletowel39
04-08-2008, 02:48 PM
I would feel a whole lot better if we had Kelly, Sweed, Thomas, Hardy over Washington. Those four have all higer value then Groves IMO. Yeah Ben broke records with our recievers, but imagine his numbers if Sweed, Kelly, Thomas, or Hardy were there for him to throw to with Moore, Parker, Ward, Holmes, Miller, Spaeth. Makes our offense more scary then it already is.

Cherlius dominated everything he did. Senior Bowl, Combine, Pro Day, everything. I think he is a legit lineman and a great pick for us. Sure fire first rounder, and yes I do not like him, but I am not going to knock him and say he isnt good when he is.

*** just screams zone corner and nickle and dime back. If Jenkins, Talib, Cason were there, I take them in a heartbeat over Groves. I would rather have those three then *** starting anyday.

Its a matter of value and need at the same time. I think we chose BPA with need involved in it.
I like Sweed and Thomas over Groves but like I said, I feel like they both wll be gone. And I agree with you on Sweed or Thomas, it would be an amazing offense.

Eh...on Cherilus. Agree to disagree.

I would do Jenkins over Groves as well. He shouldn't be there because he is the best corner in the draft but he might. I don't think Talib or Cason will have as much of an impact as Groves could, so going on that, I wouldn't take them over Groves but Jenkins, hell ya, I love him. He has done absolutely nothing to deserve the fall he has taken. He was the #1 CB coming into the offseason and nowadays I am seeing him as #4 & 5. Its dumb.

Hines
04-08-2008, 02:52 PM
I like Sweed and Thomas over Groves but like I said, I feel like they both wll be gone. And I agree with you on Sweed or Thomas, it would be an amazing offense.

Eh...on Cherilus. Agree to disagree.

I would do Jenkins over Groves as well. He shouldn't be there because he is the best corner in the draft but he might. I don't think Talib or Cason will have as much of an impact as Groves could, so going on that, I wouldn't take them over Groves but Jenkins, hell ya, I love him. He has done absolutely nothing to deserve the fall he has taken. He was the #1 CB coming into the offseason and nowadays I am seeing him as #4 & 5. Its dumb.

Why wont Sweed or Thomas be there? Not many teams need WRs this year. If Kelly runs a great time, he will be a top 15 pick, probably going to Cinci or Buffalo. Other then that, Philly could also go tackle or saftey if one is there. Washington could go dline. Tampa doesnt need a reciever after their signings, but could go after DJack as well. I think one of the top 4 will be there, and I would be dissapointed if we dont swipe one up.

brat316
04-08-2008, 02:54 PM
Why not take Balmar and move him to DE have you seen how he looked at the combine he looked nothing like a DT.

brat316
04-08-2008, 02:54 PM
What about Kenny Phillips for us.

Hines
04-08-2008, 02:56 PM
Why not take Balmar and move him to DE have you seen how he looked at the combine he looked nothing like a DT.

He has a huge bust stamp written all over his forehead. He doesnt have the fire to play at a top level which people believe he has. He may play great for a season or two to earn his pay, then fall off.

What about Kenny Phillips for us.

Anthony Smith says hello.

Santonio10
04-08-2008, 09:19 PM
Im not a huge fan of getting Groves either, i would rather have Cason or even Hardy at 23 and hopefully get Rachal in the second. I wouldn't hate the Groves pick if we did get him because he's a good player, but OLBs definately not our biggest need.

Santonio10
04-08-2008, 09:20 PM
As for getting Phillips, im still a believer in Anthony Smith

TheWood56
04-09-2008, 12:49 AM
Our 2 back up OLB's are Arnold Harrison and Andre Frazier. James Harrison has a history of getting injured, and even Woodley got injured last season, and he wasn't even starting. If either Harrison or Woodley go down, who's gonna step in at OLB? Harrison? Frazier? I don't think so. The Giants showed everyone in the SB that pass rush can win you a championship, and we have one good pass rusher at best who's somewhat injury prone and much better against the run, and another who has a heap of potential who I'm sure everyone's expecting big things from, but IMO needs a top notch speed rusher playing opposite him to really compliment him. At OLB, we need someone who can step in if need be and someone who can be an effective situational pass rusher, not to mention someone who's going to have to take over for Harrison in a season or two.

I really think Harrison would make a better ILB then OLB, and Groves is the true speed rusher we need off the edge to compliment the power of Woodley on the other side. On the inside, Harrison could be the thumper and Timmons could be the sideline to sideline coverage guy in the middle, not to mention Harrison would be great blitzing from the middle IMO because he's just got so much raw power and could just push the pocket. IMO, he doesn't really have the speed to be a great pass rushing ROLB. He was very good last year, but as a pass rusher, he was too inconsistant IMO. He was great against the run though, and I think he'd make a great thumper on the inside. Thunder to Timmons lightning. Same with Groves and Woodley. Groves would be lightning to Woodley's thunder. We'd have LB's both inside and outside with raw power and strength (Harrison and Woodley) and amazing athletic ability and speed (Timmons and Groves). I think those 4 could wreak havoc and could potentially be the best LB unit in all of football. You just don't know how good of an ILB I think Harrison could be.

TheWood56
04-09-2008, 04:27 AM
Just because he played there a few times in practice, doesnt mean he will be ideal there. I think he has a few more high quality years left which means there wont be room for a first round OLB. I really dont think Harrison moves inside in all honesty.

Not sure about the current coaching staff, but the old coaching staff had him at ILB as they thought he would make a better ILB then OLB. It wasn't just a few times in practice, he was actually an ILB before as the old coaching staff thought that was his best position.

A big reason why he may have shifted to OLB was because they may have needed him to. We didn't really have any decent OLB depth, and at ILB we had Farrior, Foote, Kriewaldt and I believe Wallace at the time. The coaching staff may have shifted him out to OLB to better the team and to provide the team with some decent depth.

As I said, I'm not sure what the current coaching staff think about Harrison at ILB, but in my eyes, Harrison would make a better ILB and that's where I'd eventually shift him if we had another capable pass rusher on the roster. Also, the coaching staff appear to be looking at LB's in the draft, most notably pass rushers, and they seem very keen on both Groves and Avril who are 1st and 2nd rounders respectively, so unless that's a big smokescreen, I know what that tells me. They're looking for a future pass rusher to eventually pair up with Woodley, and with Farrior a couple of years into his 30's and coming off contract very soon, Harrison may be a serious consideration IMO to be his eventual replacement, as it appears as though Timmons will be Foote's eventual replacement, even as early as next season.

Hines
04-09-2008, 01:32 PM
Kiss Albert goodbye fellas. He is garnishing interest and will be a top 20 pick. I know yall knew already, but I just wanted to tell you. I still expect them to go WR, CB, or Cherlius with this pick, but who knows.

mikehop05
04-09-2008, 02:09 PM
Kiss Albert goodbye fellas. He is garnishing interest and will be a top 20 pick. I know yall knew already, but I just wanted to tell you. I still expect them to go WR, CB, or Cherlius with this pick, but who knows.

If we pick Cherlius I will cry.

DeathbyStat
04-09-2008, 04:04 PM
Not sure about the current coaching staff, but the old coaching staff had him at ILB as they thought he would make a better ILB then OLB. It wasn't just a few times in practice, he was actually an ILB before as the old coaching staff thought that was his best position.

A big reason why he may have shifted to OLB was because they may have needed him to. We didn't really have any decent OLB depth, and at ILB we had Farrior, Foote, Kriewaldt and I believe Wallace at the time. The coaching staff may have shifted him out to OLB to better the team and to provide the team with some decent depth.

As I said, I'm not sure what the current coaching staff think about Harrison at ILB, but in my eyes, Harrison would make a better ILB and that's where I'd eventually shift him if we had another capable pass rusher on the roster. Also, the coaching staff appear to be looking at LB's in the draft, most notably pass rushers, and they seem very keen on both Groves and Avril who are 1st and 2nd rounders respectively, so unless that's a big smokescreen, I know what that tells me. They're looking for a future pass rusher to eventually pair up with Woodley, and with Farrior a couple of years into his 30's and coming off contract very soon, Harrison may be a serious consideration IMO to be his eventual replacement, as it appears as though Timmons will be Foote's eventual replacement, even as early as next season.

I would agree

Hines
04-09-2008, 04:05 PM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_561456.html

brat316
04-09-2008, 04:06 PM
why are we turning into the bungles

terribletowel39
04-09-2008, 04:48 PM
Screw that punk mascot. We shouldn't have one anyway. Its dumb.

ryanrayne
04-09-2008, 09:43 PM
http://thefootballexpert.com/coxmockdraft080009.html

bunson
04-09-2008, 10:57 PM
If we pick Cherlius I will cry.

We will be.

TheWood56
04-09-2008, 11:58 PM
Deleted Post

brat316
04-10-2008, 12:05 AM
Wanker ahahha you crazy Aussis. Well your either going to get and infraction or be banned for a while. Sorry to see you go man for like a week.

TheWood56
04-10-2008, 12:12 AM
Wanker ahahha you crazy Aussis. Well your either going to get and infraction or be banned for a while. Sorry to see you go man for like a week.

What are you talking about? This guys already been banned and is just a crappy poster and spams the board. I better delete my post though just in case.

bunson
04-10-2008, 12:15 AM
What are you talking about? This guys already been banned and is just a crappy poster and spams the board. I better delete my post though just in case.

I got what you said and has been sent. You are a terrible person.

TheWood56
04-10-2008, 12:18 AM
I'm not the one in the wrong here buddy, you are. I won't be banned, you will, yet once again.

bunson
04-10-2008, 12:26 AM

Even bhaarat316 knows he crossed the line!

Mr. Stiller
04-10-2008, 12:53 AM
Even bhaarat316 knows he crossed the line!

bhaarat316 doesn't know you're history and how lousy of a poster you've been on other forums..

Hines
04-10-2008, 02:55 PM
What happend??

Santonio10
04-10-2008, 06:46 PM
yeah whats going on?

Mr. Stiller
04-10-2008, 10:04 PM
yeah whats going on?

Bunson is a poster, who, if you guys were on teh SCI forums would know.

He comes back about once or twice a month and just starts a bunch of flame threads attacking me and Wood on another site.

He's about worthless when it comes to posting. He'll post a 45 page article and regardless of the holes in his logic he'll attack anyone that puts any TRUE logic to it.

He's followed us over here. In fact he came back to SCI last night as well attacking Wood and I. I pm'd D-Unit explaing the details, but because of Bunson Wood has a 7 day temp ban.

And If he keeps coming back, eventually anyone that disagrees with him he'll provoke into a fight.

The sad thing is even if they ban his IP Address, through the use of Proxies he always comes back.

I'm not going into much more information than that other than he's a nuisance and provides nothing but provokative material and attacks posters because he is not open to other peoples ideas. Especially if they don't fit in his narrow field of logic.

Hines
04-10-2008, 10:13 PM
Damn, what a loser. Alright, lets get back to talking about the draft. I am going to do two more mocks. I am working on one now, and then another one the day before the draft.

DeathbyStat
04-11-2008, 08:10 AM
Cherilus and Nelson in scott's new mock.

I like nelson alot but do we need to take him the second round.

And explain to be what postion Cherilous will play?

I'm assuming he wouldn't even play this year and would take over right tackle after this year

steelernation77
04-11-2008, 09:54 AM
I like Cherlius. He'd play RT, with Colon moving to LG. He's a tough SOB and by all accounts a pretty safe pick.

The Nelson pick is a bit baffling to me. This is what I wrote to Scott:

However, I'm not sold on the Nelson pick. Yes, Ben did say he would like a big receiver, but I believe that was Ben thinking nostalgically of Plaxico. Nelson is bigger, but I don't believe he's what Ben had in mind.

What I do see is that there are ALOT of guys that you have picked after us that the Steelers have invited for visits (the Steelers usually pick those guys) and that would fill needs.

Cliff Avril, Charles Godfrey, Dre Moore, and Tracy Porter are all guys who play positions we lack depth at, and they could start in the next year or so.

Erin Henderson hasn't been in for a visit but is also a possibility.

The darkhorse is Chris Johnson, who has been in for a visit, and would not be the "tall WR' that Ben wants, but would certainly add another dimension to our offense.

mikehop05
04-11-2008, 10:35 AM
yeah honestly the new mock sucks for us

gosder is not what we need on the line

jordy is decent but like steelernation said, if those other guys are available they would be better picks for us

Santonio10
04-11-2008, 10:39 AM
I like Cherlius. He'd play RT, with Colon moving to LG. He's a tough SOB and by all accounts a pretty safe pick.

The Nelson pick is a bit baffling to me. This is what I wrote to Scott:

However, I'm not sold on the Nelson pick. Yes, Ben did say he would like a big receiver, but I believe that was Ben thinking nostalgically of Plaxico. Nelson is bigger, but I don't believe he's what Ben had in mind.

What I do see is that there are ALOT of guys that you have picked after us that the Steelers have invited for visits (the Steelers usually pick those guys) and that would fill needs.

Cliff Avril, Charles Godfrey, Dre Moore, and Tracy Porter are all guys who play positions we lack depth at, and they could start in the next year or so.

Erin Henderson hasn't been in for a visit but is also a possibility.

The darkhorse is Chris Johnson, who has been in for a visit, and would not be the "tall WR' that Ben wants, but would certainly add another dimension to our offense.

I agree with you on Nelson. I don't like him in the second when he'll probably be there in the third. I would prefer a corner, or Cliff Avril if we were to get Cherilus in the first. I think Cherilus will be a good RT for us but i would prefer a guy who could play LT, but no one will be there at 23 who can play LT. Hopefully we can get a good LT next year.

Mr. Stiller
04-11-2008, 12:33 PM
Mos just IMd me saying this...

Yo, were gonna take Stewart Rd1 if hes there, we just brought him in for a visit, my mock from way back is nail.

To which I reply.. we bring in 30 guys every year.

We have 6 picks. Thats about 5 guys that could be had per pick. I don't see us drafting Stewart.

Unless we trade Willie Parker. If We trade Parker, be my guest. But if we don't. I don't see us drafting a CAREER BACKUP in round 1.

Hines
04-11-2008, 05:00 PM
A little mock I made:

1) Quentin Groves OLB Auburn
2) Charles Godfrey CB Iowa
3) Mike McGlyn G Pittsburgh
4) Carlton Powell DE Virginia Tech
5) Marcus Monk WR Arkansas
6) Lamar Myles LB Lousiville

DeathbyStat
04-11-2008, 09:11 PM
A little mock I made:

1) Quentin Groves OLB Auburn
2) Charles Godfrey CB Iowa
3) Mike McGlyn G Pittsburgh
4) Carlton Powell DE Virginia Tech
5) Marcus Monk WR Arkansas
6) Lamar Myles LB Lousiville

Looks solid to me but I'm missing Langford as well as a quality return man

Hines
04-11-2008, 09:15 PM
Looks solid to me but I'm missing Langford as well as a quality return man

I like Powell a whole bunch and think he will be a stud at the next level. He is way better then McBean and could start his sophmore year. We have Moore and Reid as return men. I am not too worried about that as we can find one with a FA.

Mr. Stiller
04-12-2008, 07:33 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=En6cTw1nGSo

Ben Roethlisberger on FSN Sports Science

Hines
04-12-2008, 08:40 PM
Here is a guy I would like to look at in the late rounds, or UDFA. You can not say he is not Steeler material when you watch this.

http://www.onnetworks.com/videos/draftguys-tv/profile---thaddeus-coleman---ol

Mr. Stiller
04-12-2008, 11:21 PM
Here is a guy I would like to look at in the late rounds, or UDFA. You can not say he is not Steeler material when you watch this.

http://www.onnetworks.com/videos/draftguys-tv/profile---thaddeus-coleman---ol

He's got potential.

Hines
04-13-2008, 11:04 AM
He's got potential.

I think he has loads of potential. Never had a oline coach and can throw defenders around like that. I mean he wasnt going against great competition in the Texas vs The Nation game, but I think he could be worth a flyer.

Jakey
04-13-2008, 12:12 PM
He's got allot of potential...anywhere after round 4 i wouldnt be dissapointed. But we allready have a similar player in Jason Capizzi...who is now huge!

mikehop05
04-13-2008, 12:18 PM
He's got allot of potential...anywhere after round 4 i wouldnt be dissapointed. But we allready have a similar player in Jason Capizzi...who is now huge!

oh man i forgot all about my neezie capizzi

Jakey
04-13-2008, 12:20 PM
Haha...i've seen pics of him this offseason, he looks like he is up to about 330lbs. 6'9" 330lbs is F'n huge...if he has kept his athletisism, he could have allot of potential!

mikehop05
04-13-2008, 01:28 PM
Haha...i've seen pics of him this offseason, he looks like he is up to about 330lbs. 6'9" 330lbs is F'n huge...if he has kept his athletisism, he could have allot of potential!

ah that nasty 'p' word

i really hope to see what the steelers have in store for him, and if he can earn any PT during camp..

Mr. Stiller
04-13-2008, 04:35 PM
I think he has loads of potential. Never had a oline coach and can throw defenders around like that. I mean he wasnt going against great competition in the Texas vs The Nation game, but I think he could be worth a flyer.

I was talking to my buddy who's dad knows a LOT about OLine play.... Here's what he had to say.:

Coleman does not look like he has the best feet. He also gets to wide in his base and has poor technique. If it was not for his strength and punch he would get beat on that tape. He is impressive physically. I would love to see him get some actual coaching and learn the position. If I were a coach I would take a long look at him and would love to be able to stash him on a practice squad for a year or two and work with him.

Hines
04-13-2008, 05:08 PM
Yeah of course he has bad feet and technique because he never had an oline coach. If Z would get his hands on him, he would be a monster IMO. Capizzi is nice, but I think I would like Coleman a whole lot more.

DeathbyStat
04-14-2008, 01:52 PM
I guess the pick will be Cherilous of Groves.

Whitch one will it be?

brat316
04-14-2008, 01:54 PM
I don't know maybe Stewart if he falls.

DeathbyStat
04-14-2008, 01:59 PM
I don't know maybe Stewart if he falls.

Yeah it could be someone else...like Cason, Stewart or Devin Thomas.

But if its between Gosder and Groves..who do we take?

Gosder is safer but i think i'd rather take a chance on groves

brat316
04-14-2008, 02:14 PM
Do we need another RT. If we get O-line guys I think we need them to be ready to start and have an impact. We really don't need potential guys, we have a few of them already. I hope our O-line doesn't suck, but I have a bad feeling about it.

Who do we have?

RT- Starks, Max - Colon, Willie- Capizzi, Jason
RG-Simmons, Kendall - Kemoeatu, Chris
C-Hartwig, Justin - Mahan, Sean - Stapleton, Darnell
LG-
LT-Smith, Marvel - Essex, Trai - Parquet, Jeremy

This is the roster players from the team website. Also if you think I missed LG well i didn't we don't have any listed LGs. Also we don't know if Smith will still be able to return at 100% after his back surgery, and he is in contract year.

It might be up for grabs between Mahan and Kemo. So we could still be after at LG in the draft. And if Smith is iffy then Starks is LT with Colon at RT.

If you guys say Kemo is good when you saw him play a few snaps hopefully he ends up being the LG.

Hines
04-14-2008, 02:39 PM
Stapleton is going to be the backup center as Mahan switches to LG. I see Kemo or Mahan starting and we bring in a third or fourth rounder to compete for depth. Next year we can start looking at tackles.

Hines
04-14-2008, 03:21 PM
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/story/573519.html

Washburn CB Cary Williams. Has great size, speed, and kick return ability. I would use a 3-4 rounder to grab him.

DeathbyStat
04-14-2008, 03:43 PM
Do we need another RT. If we get O-line guys I think we need them to be ready to start and have an impact. We really don't need potential guys, we have a few of them already. I hope our O-line doesn't suck, but I have a bad feeling about it.

Who do we have?

RT- Starks, Max - Colon, Willie- Capizzi, Jason
RG-Simmons, Kendall - Kemoeatu, Chris
C-Hartwig, Justin - Mahan, Sean - Stapleton, Darnell
LG-
LT-Smith, Marvel - Essex, Trai - Parquet, Jeremy

This is the roster players from the team website. Also if you think I missed LG well i didn't we don't have any listed LGs. Also we don't know if Smith will still be able to return at 100% after his back surgery, and he is in contract year.

It might be up for grabs between Mahan and Kemo. So we could still be after at LG in the draft. And if Smith is iffy then Starks is LT with Colon at RT.

If you guys say Kemo is good when you saw him play a few snaps hopefully he ends up being the LG.

I tend to agree we need a pure left tackle.....even if we need to endure a really bad season to obtain one

mikehop05
04-14-2008, 03:59 PM
I like groves and the possibilities he provides for the defense

Smooth Criminal
04-14-2008, 05:12 PM
I want Gosder. I think he is going to be a dominating RT in this league. If we draft him it allows us to slide Colon into guard which he is much better suited for. And if we sign Starks to a 3-4 year deal we'll have him as depth at either tackle next year and the starter at LT after Marvel is gone.

Smith-Colon-Hartwig-Simmons-Cherilus
Starks-Mahan-Stapleton-Kemeatu-Starks

Thats not a bad line at all. Very much improved over the one we had last year.

steelernation77
04-14-2008, 08:02 PM
I want Gosder. I think he is going to be a dominating RT in this league. If we draft him it allows us to slide Colon into guard which he is much better suited for. And if we sign Starks to a 3-4 year deal we'll have him as depth at either tackle next year and the starter at LT after Marvel is gone.

I'm with you on this one.

Mr. Stiller
04-14-2008, 08:02 PM

Add a LT and LG in the 2009 draft where LG/LTs' are stacked and you have a great team ahead of you.

mikehop05
04-15-2008, 01:13 AM
I am going to have to respectfully disagree

while gosder may be a "great" RT in the pros, I just don't see much difference between he and our current tackles

all of them are strong at the point of attack, but all of them lack the footwork and quickness to be a legit LT (marvel was a couple years ago before injury and age caught up)

this is where i see groves being a better pick

defense does win championships, its been proven time and time again, and adding groves to or LB mix only makes us stronger as a defense... he gives us 2 (omg two rushing lb'ers the first since... green/gildon?) to add to our front 7, the pressure we will put on the QB would be undeniable

I am growing not to HATE the gosder pick... but i really don't like it, we need a pure LT, end of story, we also need continuity on the line, i think we will see improvements with this squad from a year ago

brat316
04-15-2008, 01:20 AM
Groves only if we have to, we need people for ST as well, your first round pick playing ST not always a good thing, but with his speed he could be a killer in ST. Also how many rookies play in our D anyways. Groves would be a good pick there, he can come in on pass only situations. Though I am hoping for Stewart to be at out pick.

Mr. Stiller
04-15-2008, 02:31 AM
Groves only if we have to, we need people for ST as well, your first round pick playing ST not always a good thing, but with his speed he could be a killer in ST. Also how many rookies play in our D anyways. Groves would be a good pick there, he can come in on pass only situations. Though I am hoping for Stewart to be at out pick.

You don't want Groves cause he wouldn't start, but you want to draft a backup RB?

Strongside
04-15-2008, 06:58 AM
I don't think any rookie we draft would start, at least not right away anyway

brat316
04-15-2008, 11:03 AM
You don't want Groves cause he wouldn't start, but you want to draft a backup RB?

I wouldn't mind the Groves pick though I would rather have the rb.

steelernation77
04-15-2008, 11:23 AM

while gosder may be a "great" RT in the pros, I just don't see much difference between he and our current tackles

all of them are strong at the point of attack, but all of them lack the footwork and quickness to be a legit LT (marvel was a couple years ago before injury and age caught up)

defense does win championships, its been proven time and time again, and adding groves to or LB mix only makes us stronger as a defense... he gives us 2 (omg two rushing lb'ers the first since... green/gildon?) to add to our front 7, the pressure we will put on the QB would be undeniable

I am growing not to HATE the gosder pick... but i really don't like it, we need a pure LT, end of story, we also need continuity on the line, i think we will see improvements with this squad from a year ago

Cherlius is a much better prospect than Starks was. He may not be the fastest, but he has good feet. If this draft weren't so deep with OTs, he'd probably go in the top 15.

We can draft an LT later in the draft to develop, maybe a guy like Brown, Dunlap or Hills. Then, when Marvel is done, they'll take over. Or we can go LT next year.

Steeler Nation
04-15-2008, 11:27 AM
What all the talk is that the Steelers are looking at Jonathan Stewart from Oregon at RB. The insiders are saying he could even step right in and split carries w/ Fast Willie. I want us going after the immediate needs like 2 beastly O-Lineman like Gosder Cherilus out of BC and Albert out of VA and Mammont Otath out of Pitt any of those 2 would be great to grab late and could come right in and protect our $100+ million QB investment and get Fast Willie some holes. These picks were courtesy of Troy's War Room.

terribletowel39
04-15-2008, 12:00 PM
What all the talk is that the Steelers are looking at Jonathan Stewart from Oregon at RB. The insiders are saying he could even step right in and split carries w/ Fast Willie. I want us going after the immediate needs like 2 beastly O-Lineman like Gosder Cherilus out of BC and Albert out of VA and Mammont Otath out of Pitt any of those 2 would be great to grab late and could come right in and protect our $100+ million QB investment and get Fast Willie some holes. These picks were courtesy of Troy's War Room.
i think we can all agree that Otah and Albert will be gone by our pick. and most all of us wouldn't mind Cherilus, there are just some of us that would like Groves over Cherilus. I think Stewart would be a dumb pick when we basically had the NFL leading rusher last year on our team with one of the top 10 crappiest O-lines.

also, welcome to the board.

DeathbyStat
04-15-2008, 12:13 PM
Add a LT and LG in the 2009 draft where LG/LTs' are stacked and you have a great team ahead of you.

I agree I think our our season next year is going to me miserable so I'm all grabbing a purer left tackle next year than Godsder this year

DeathbyStat
04-15-2008, 12:15 PM

I agree I don't really want Gosder but i wouldn't be extremely upset with it. I would feel a general sense of apathy as I did with the Timmons pick last year

steel man
04-15-2008, 12:45 PM
at 2:00pm today they will be announcing our schedule. i will post it ASAP

steel man
04-15-2008, 01:03 PM
we have the toughest schedule
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3347716

steel man
04-15-2008, 01:07 PM
Sunday, Sept. 7 vs. Texans 1 p.m. (CBS)
Sunday, Sept 14 @ Browns 8:15 p.m. (NBC)
Sunday, Sept. 21 @ Eagles 4:15 p.m. (CBS)
Monday, Sept. 29 vs. Ravens 8:30 p.m. (ESPN)
Sunday, Oct. 5 @ Jaguars 8:15 p.m. (NBC)
Sunday, Oct. 12 Bye Week
Sunday, Oct. 19 @ Bengals 1 p.m. (CBS)
Sunday, Oct. 26 vs. Giants 4:15 p.m. (FOX)
Monday, Nov. 3 @ Redskins 8:30 p.m. (ESPN)
Sunday, Nov. 9 vs. Colts 4:15 p.m. (CBS)
Sunday, Nov. 16 vs. Chargers * 4:15 p.m. (CBS)
Thursday, Nov. 20 vs. Bengals 8:15 p.m. (NFL Network)
Sunday, Nov. 30 @ Patriots * 4:15 p.m. (CBS)
Sunday, Dec. 7 vs. Cowboys * 4:15 p.m. (FOX)
Sunday, Dec. 14 @ Ravens * 1 p.m .(CBS)
Sunday, Dec. 21 @ Titans * 1 p.m. (CBS)
Sunday, Dec. 28 vs. Browns * 1 p.m. (CBS)

steel man
04-15-2008, 01:10 PM
The Steelers will play five nationally televised primetime games, and will open the season at home on Sunday, Sept. 7 against the Houston Texans, it was announced today when the National Football League released its 2008 regular season schedule.

The Steelers will host two nationally televised primetime games against division rivals, including a Monday Night game on Sept. 29 against the Baltimore Ravens (8:30 p.m.) and a Thursday Night game Nov. 20 against the Cincinnati Bengals (8:15 p.m.). Pittsburgh’s three primetime road games will be on Sunday, Sept. 14 at the Cleveland Browns (8:15 p.m.), Sunday, Oct. 5 at the Jacksonville Jaguars (8:15 p.m.) and a Monday Night game on Nov. 3 at the Washington Redskins.

terribletowel39
04-15-2008, 01:44 PM
can someone tell me how the Patriots have the easiest schedule next year?? that is such ********.

mikehop05
04-15-2008, 02:16 PM
that worked out pretty much as well for us as it could

gettin indy, cowboys, giants, chargers at home

on the road for ne, and jax

Hines
04-15-2008, 02:32 PM
Colts and Chargers back to back, painful. Patriots and Cowboys back to back, brutal.

Strongside
04-15-2008, 02:43 PM
Wow we got 3 prime time games in the first 5 weeks.

It doesn't seem as bad now as it did when it was just the home/away opponents. Still pretty brutal though.

brat316
04-15-2008, 03:11 PM
Looking at the Schedule we can sweep Bungles and Ravens win against Texans and split with the browns.

thats 6 wins right there.

Then these games are up in the air.

Eagles, Jags, Titans, Redskins, Giants, Cowboys

These games are not in our favor.

Colt, Chargers, Pats.

Also I hate games on NFL Network.

steel man
04-15-2008, 03:27 PM
we are hosting Kyle Brady....what do you guys think ...a waste of money or good pick up?

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/breaking/s_562499.html

steel man
04-15-2008, 03:28 PM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_562311.html

we are also hosting WR Urrutia...so we might be looking to get our tall WR in the later rounds. Which i like this kid and would like to get him. what are your thoughts on him?

Steeler Nation
04-15-2008, 04:46 PM
We had the best defense last year already w/ the LB's we had and the new ones we drafted. The defense is not the immediate need. It's our offensive line which has been suspect for 2 seasons now. Big Ben was sacked more than lunches last year. We need put some faith in our draft picks last year (Woodley and Timmons) it was their first year in a complex defense. We all know Dick's the Godfather of the blitz, you just don't come in your rookie year and start getting alot of PT and reaking havoc in it. We just lost our probowl stud Faneca, and we have nothing to fill that gap.

Steeler Nation
04-15-2008, 05:02 PM
They gave us the toughest schedule b/c we are The Steelers and not some busters in New England or any of the other 3rd rate organizations in the league that need to cheat or try and buy a championship. It doesn't matter they went undefeated until the met the 7th Giants I bet Tom Brady is still seeing OSI in his sleep. My complaint is not their easy schedule it's why do we have to travel to Foxboro back to back years. Why can't they bring their monkey aces to Heinz.

mikehop05
04-15-2008, 05:28 PM
We had the best defense last year already w/ the LB's we had and the new ones we drafted. The defense is not the immediate need. It's our offensive line which has been suspect for 2 seasons now. Big Ben was sacked more than lunches last year. We need put some faith in our draft picks last year (Woodley and Timmons) it was their first year in a complex defense. We all know Dick's the Godfather of the blitz, you just don't come in your rookie year and start getting alot of PT and reaking havoc in it. We just lost our probowl stud Faneca, and we have nothing to fill that gap.

I am going to go out on a limb and say Faneca was undeserving of his last 2 probowls and is not longer a 'stud'.

I clearly remember at least 7 times when Ben would be on his ass and faneca would be sitting there with his finger in his butt not doing a damn thing.

Also, our defense was rated #1 in some things, and it helped that our schedule was so soft in the beginning and the Ravens / Bengals coulnd't get their act together, but it coulnd't get the job done several times down the stretch in big games.

Harrison can maybe preform at a high level for one more full year at OLB, where then he would be better suited for a year or two inside.

Groves gives us an experienced starter in 2009, and a situation pass rusher in 2008 that, when teamed with woodley and timmons forms one of the most athletic linebacking cores in the NFL.

Santonio10
04-15-2008, 06:43 PM
we are hosting Kyle Brady....what do you guys think ...a waste of money or good pick up?

I dont think this would be a big waste of money, but it depends on what hes asking for. He's a really good, tough blocker so i wouldn't mind him. I mean Heaths a pretty good blocker, and im not sure about Spaeths blocking this year cuz i didn't really watch him too much, but from what i saw i though he was pretty good too. If he's not asking for too much, bring him in.

Strongside
04-15-2008, 07:56 PM
I dont think this would be a big waste of money, but it depends on what hes asking for. He's a really good, tough blocker so i wouldn't mind him. I mean Heaths a pretty good blocker, and im not sure about Spaeths blocking this year cuz i didn't really watch him too much, but from what i saw i though he was pretty good too. If he's not asking for too much, bring him in.

I agree it would depend what he's asking for. It would be nice to have a good blocking TE so Miller could catch some more balls. Anyone know if Brady's any good at special teams?

DeathbyStat
04-16-2008, 08:25 AM

What a bloody waste...well i guess if he can still block

DeathbyStat
04-16-2008, 08:29 AM
Lets see........Way too early to perdict but I'll give it a go

Sunday, Sept. 7 vs. Texans 1 p.m. W

Sunday, Sept 14 @ Browns 8:15 p.m. W

Sunday, Sept. 21 @ Eagles 4:15 p.m. W

Monday, Sept. 29 vs. Ravens 8:30 p.m. W

Sunday, Oct. 5 @ Jaguars 8:15 p.m. L

Sunday, Oct. 12 Bye Week

Sunday, Oct. 19 @ Bengals 1 p.m. W

Sunday, Oct. 26 vs. Giants 4:15 p.m. W

Monday, Nov. 3 @ Redskins 8:30 p.m. W

Sunday, Nov. 9 vs. Colts 4:15 p.m. L

Sunday, Nov. 16 vs. Chargers * 4:15 p.m. L

Thursday, Nov. 20 vs. Bengals 8:15 p.m. W

Sunday, Nov. 30 @ Patriots * 4:15 p.m. L

Sunday, Dec. 7 vs. Cowboys * 4:15 p.m. L

Sunday, Dec. 14 @ Ravens * 1 p.m . L

Sunday, Dec. 21 @ Titans * 1 p.m. W

Sunday, Dec. 28 vs. Browns * 1 p.m. L

so i predict our record will be 9-7 and I think that is quite generous.

Hines
04-16-2008, 08:49 AM
Sunday, Sept. 7 vs. Texans 1 p.m. W

Sunday, Sept 14 @ Browns 8:15 p.m. W

Sunday, Sept. 21 @ Eagles 4:15 p.m. W

Monday, Sept. 29 vs. Ravens 8:30 p.m. W

Sunday, Oct. 5 @ Jaguars 8:15 p.m. L

Sunday, Oct. 12 Bye Week

Sunday, Oct. 19 @ Bengals 1 p.m. W

Sunday, Oct. 26 vs. Giants 4:15 p.m. W

Monday, Nov. 3 @ Redskins 8:30 p.m. W

Sunday, Nov. 9 vs. Colts 4:15 p.m. L

Sunday, Nov. 16 vs. Chargers * 4:15 p.m. L

Thursday, Nov. 20 vs. Bengals 8:15 p.m. W

Sunday, Nov. 30 @ Patriots * 4:15 p.m. L

Sunday, Dec. 7 vs. Cowboys * 4:15 p.m. W

Sunday, Dec. 14 @ Ravens * 1 p.m . W

Sunday, Dec. 21 @ Titans * 1 p.m. W

Sunday, Dec. 28 vs. Browns * 1 p.m. L

I have us at 11-5 at best, possibly at 10-6. I think if we can win 2 of 4 from NE, DAL, SD, and Indy we will be in good shape. I can see us beating SD and Dallas but not Indy or NE.

terribletowel39
04-16-2008, 10:09 AM
I don't know about you two but I would much rather lose the first game with the Browns than the last. Its the last game and could make or break both teams for the playoffs.

Is it not weird for anyone else talking about how the Browns are actually a good team again??

Jakey
04-16-2008, 10:11 AM
^ I would rather win them both :p

And nah, im kinda glad there good, its allways fun to watch close-knit games!

terribletowel39
04-16-2008, 10:13 AM
Well yea, I'm glad we finally have competition other than the Ravens but its still a little weird.

DeathbyStat
04-16-2008, 10:40 AM
I don't know about you two but I would much rather lose the first game with the Browns than the last. Its the last game and could make or break both teams for the playoffs.

Is it not weird for anyone else talking about how the Browns are actually a good team again??

They are good but I can't completely buy into them. They will be getting all the hype in the offseason and I don't know if they can handle that pressure.

And I'm still not sold on Derek Anderson if you apply any pressure to this guy he folds.

I hope he sticks around much longer than anticipated and keeps Brady Quinn on the bench.

Our division is very unpredictable it has the potental to be the very worst or the very best division in football depending on how the Ravens and Bengals choose to rectify their offseason troubles.

Hines
04-16-2008, 02:31 PM
If we picked Desean Jackson somehow, how would yall feel? I honestly would love it. Devin Hester type of return ability, but a better reciever.

Jakey
04-16-2008, 02:33 PM
I would love it Hines...i dont care how small he is...Holmes and Jackson would scare the shiz out of any opposing CB's! Possetion recievers can be found later on...we allready have Hines, Baker, Trannon, Heath and Spaeth...thats enough size for any team :)

terribletowel39
04-16-2008, 02:34 PM
I wouldn't like it. At all. I don't think he is gonna be able to stay healthy in the NFL. He is by far the lightest receiver I have heard of, I don't care if Steve Smith and Joey Galloway can hang, this guy doesn't break 170. thats ridiculous. If anyone hits Jackson the way Anthony Smith hit TJ that onetime in Jakey's sig. He might die.

mikehop05
04-16-2008, 02:43 PM
I would hate it. I can't put into words how much I would hate it. I can't even think of anything anyone would say that would make me like it.

Strongside
04-16-2008, 04:04 PM
Washington accepted his tender offer

Link (http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d807cbd65&template=without-video&confirm=true)

Jakey
04-16-2008, 04:07 PM
Good, i love Nate! If he was more consistant he would be a stud.

ryanrayne
04-16-2008, 05:59 PM
I agree with 9-7..I actually think that wins the AFC North..We all pretty much have the same schedule..Give or take 2 games

brat316
04-16-2008, 06:09 PM
I would hate it. I can't put into words how much I would hate it. I can't even think of anything anyone would say that would make me like it.

KR and PR TDs

terribletowel39
04-16-2008, 06:27 PM
KR and PR TDs
except its not the returner that does that 90% of time, its the coverage units. and ours suck. he would get hit by some 260 lb man running as fast as he can and he would die. i don't want to watch that.

mikehop05
04-16-2008, 07:34 PM
except its not the returner that does that 90% of time, its the coverage units. and ours suck. he would get hit by some 260 lb man running as fast as he can and he would die. i don't want to watch that.

exactly.

and also we can get a guy in the later rounds that can get decent returns

brat316
04-16-2008, 10:31 PM
So we need guys like Groves to help on coverage perfect. I am all in for Groves

My first round picks depending on who is there
1.Stewart
2.Groves
3.Jordy Nelson
4.Trade
5.Kenny Phillips
6. .....

mikehop05
04-16-2008, 10:45 PM
So we need guys like Groves to help on coverage perfect. I am all in for Groves

My first round picks depending on who is there
1.Stewart
2.Groves
3.Jordy Nelson
4.Trade
5.Kenny Phillips
6. .....

Jordy Nelson in the first? Really?

I am all for groves, im iffy on stewart.. not a huggge fan of phillips

If we are out of top options and cannot trade down.. this is my list:

1.GROVES
2.Flowers
3.Stewart
4.Kelly
5.Cherilus

I am thiking all of those guys will be there when we pick... with the exception maybe of stewart

SCSteeler
04-16-2008, 11:52 PM
anyone think we're smokescreening to grab Limas Sweed in the 1st?

mikehop05
04-16-2008, 11:58 PM
anyone think we're smokescreening to grab Limas Sweed in the 1st?

I think it is possible...

I think this year is pretty difficult to narrow down what the steelers may do, considering their position, needs, and who will likely be available.

SCSteeler
04-17-2008, 12:08 AM
i really think OL, DL and CB are what we really need, but I would love a big tall receiver!
do you think Sweed is fast enough for a 1st round pick?

brat316
04-17-2008, 12:24 AM
Jordy Nelson in the first? Really?

I am all for groves, im iffy on stewart.. not a huggge fan of phillips

If we are out of top options and cannot trade down.. this is my list:

1.GROVES
2.Flowers
3.Stewart
4.Kelly
5.Cherilus

I am thiking all of those guys will be there when we pick... with the exception maybe of stewart

I forgot all about Flowers

1. Stewart
2. Groves
3. Flowers
4. Rachal
5. Cherilus
6. Sweed
7. Cason
8. Hardy

Mr. Stiller
04-17-2008, 12:40 AM
I think It's Groves.

I honestly think we're moving towards a Tampa2.

LeBeau's time is limited.

Woodley/Groves off the edge, with a 3-tech and Hampton would be monster.

Timmons at WLB and the next 2 drafts to get a MLB+SLB(Foote).

I think when LeBeau leaves Tomlin will take us to the 4-3. and I think LeBeau is sticking around 2 years to make that transition easier.

We've been drafting on the premise of Versatililty. Maybe thats because we're looking for a seamless transition?

brat316
04-17-2008, 12:45 AM
Man if that is true which it is we are looking for those players. I don't know how good Troy is going to be. Will he have the Roy Williams effect where Roy went from Pro Bowler in the 4-3 to ahhahahah in the 3-4. In the Tampa 2 would he be limited to roaming the field.

SCSteeler
04-17-2008, 01:06 AM
if we do take Groves 1st, what comes 2nd? OL, DL, or CB?
i'm scared that by the time we pick in the 2nd, all the impact players at those positions will be gone!
i also think we need a true LT before a guard.

Hines
04-17-2008, 01:10 AM
I want Jack Ike in round 4 or 5. Put him on IR for next season and we got ourselves a steal.

terribletowel39
04-17-2008, 01:15 AM
Troy is nowhere near as bad as Roy Williams in coverage. Troy is actually pretty damn good in coverage. No one thinks he is though because he is always blitzing and doing other things. He has a very fast break on the ball and reads the eyes of a QB really really well.

SCSteeler
04-17-2008, 01:19 AM
Troy is nowhere near as bad as Roy Williams in coverage. Troy is actually pretty damn good in coverage. No one thinks he is though because he is always blitzing and doing other things. He has a very fast break on the ball and reads the eyes of a QB really really well.
your right! Troy is near the ball on EVERY play, run or pass.

LonghornsLegend
04-17-2008, 01:27 AM
I think It's Groves.

I honestly think we're moving towards a Tampa2.

LeBeau's time is limited.

Woodley/Groves off the edge, with a 3-tech and Hampton would be monster.

Timmons at WLB and the next 2 drafts to get a MLB+SLB(Foote).

I think when LeBeau leaves Tomlin will take us to the 4-3. and I think LeBeau is sticking around 2 years to make that transition easier.

We've been drafting on the premise of Versatililty. Maybe thats because we're looking for a seamless transition?

How long have you guys been currently running the 3-4 system? Seems like its been a while since I've seen the Steelers run anything other then a 3-4.

terribletowel39
04-17-2008, 01:32 AM
First year Cowher was hired wasn't it?? Or his second, I can't remember which exactly.

brat316
04-17-2008, 07:27 AM
For at least 15 years then.

steelernation77
04-17-2008, 10:03 AM
First year Cowher was hired wasn't it?? Or his second, I can't remember which exactly.

No, Noll put it in the 3-4 in 1983.

As far as drafting guys with versatility goes, that's kind of always been the 3-4. 3-4 OLBs are usually DE/OLB and 3-4 DEs are generally guys that would play 4-3 DT.

I wouldn't read too much in to that.

Santonio10
04-17-2008, 06:23 PM
Anyone think that its interesting that Scott compared Quentin Groves to Lamarr Woodley? Maybe he's starting to think that the steelers take Groves in the first

Santonio10
04-17-2008, 06:25 PM
I want Jack Ike in round 4 or 5. Put him on IR for next season and we got ourselves a steal.

I definately want this guy. He's a playmaker and would be steal. Looking back a few years from now he might possibly be one of the biggest steals of this draft. Hopefully no one else will take a risk on him before us...

Hines
04-18-2008, 01:08 AM
Citing league sources, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports Rams coach Scott Linehan "likes (DeSean) Jackson a lot."

There are rumblings that St. Louis might trade back into the latter half of the first round to take him. At 5'9/169, Jackson fits the profile of speedy light bodied receivers that new offensive coordinator Al Saunders is fond of.

I think they would come up to us and ask us to trade with them. We could get their second and an extra fourth or third to pick Jack Ike and improve our team a lot. I hope they come to us about it.

DeathbyStat
04-18-2008, 08:02 AM
Sounds good that would be sweet

DeathbyStat
04-18-2008, 11:52 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/specials/draft/2008/video/

I came across Red Bryant's highlight tape video....and I'm pretty sure thats him smashing Adrian Petterson and Vince Young in the back field.

Jakey
04-18-2008, 11:55 AM
^ He smashes everyone in the backfield!!! :)

He looks like he is around 350lbs...but he playes like he is 300!!! I like his style!

DeathbyStat
04-18-2008, 12:17 PM
^ He smashes everyone in the backfield!!! :)

He looks like he is around 350lbs...but he playes like he is 300!!! I like his style!

And he is quite agile for his size

brat316
04-18-2008, 12:23 PM
I don't know he looked good as a 4-3 DT. The one play he looked good in where he held the point and once the Rb was right near him he got off his guy, instead of running right through the blocker. If can have a consistent rush like that all the time on pass plays, he would be a terror. 1 on 1s he would be able to blow through, but then again college linemen vs Nfl linemen big difference.

DeathbyStat
04-18-2008, 12:37 PM
Scott's New Mock is Up.

1.Gosder

2.Tyvon Branch

3. Jerome Simpson

I don't love or hate it.....I'm adrift in my apathy

brat316
04-18-2008, 01:01 PM
I hope we get Simpson

Hines
04-18-2008, 03:19 PM
With Sweed on the board still, I would grab him instead of Cherlius even though I understand why we would chose Gosder. I love Branch, but I dont want another Ike Taylor, meaning I dont want one with stone hands. Give us Porter since he was still on the board, or even Antwaun Molden. I love the Jerome Simpson pick and he would be beastly with us.

SCSteeler
04-18-2008, 09:58 PM
i'm starting to like Jerome Simpson, but i really want to address the DL before WR?

Mr. Stiller
04-20-2008, 02:16 AM
No, Noll put it in the 3-4 in 1983.

As far as drafting guys with versatility goes, that's kind of always been the 3-4. 3-4 OLBs are usually DE/OLB and 3-4 DEs are generally guys that would play 4-3 DT.

I wouldn't read too much in to that.

I'm almost 100% sure Noll instituted the 3-4 Front 7 alignment in 1982 to Battle the West Coast offense style.

Mr. Stiller
04-20-2008, 02:16 AM
I have a weird feeling it's going to be:

Gosder, Moore and Simpson.

steelernation77
04-20-2008, 12:41 PM
I'm almost 100% sure Noll instituted the 3-4 Front 7 alignment in 1982 to Battle the West Coast offense style.

"The Steelers have run the 3-4 defense since 1983, when Chuck Noll abandoned the four-man front that became famous as the Steel Curtain in the 1970s."
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07017/754295-66.stm

Also, ESPN and Lolley are reporting the Steelers signed Starks 6.9 million tender, but neither of the two big papers are reporting it.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3354694

SCSteeler
04-20-2008, 01:11 PM
I have a weird feeling it's going to be:

Gosder, Moore and Simpson.
That would be cool, IF we could get a good CB in the 4th? do you think Jack Ike will be there for us in the 4th? and what DE/OLB prospects are there for us in the later rounds?

SCSteeler
04-20-2008, 01:55 PM
I like what Bouchette said this morning, about us going for OL and DL in the 1st 2 rounds, and then getting RB,WR, and CB in the later rounds!!!

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08111/874987-66.stm

i do believe the lineman we need are solely in the 1st 2 rounds, since Heath Benedict is no longer with us.

but i'm really curious as to what you guru's would do in the 3rd, 4th and 5th?
the "bangin" RB's appear to be available in the 3rd, but so do the "tall Ward type" recievers? if there is an awesome RB there, do we take him over a WR?

and if Jack Ike is there do we take him over an RB or WR that can contribute right away? would we really move Deshea to saftey?

Jakey
04-20-2008, 02:03 PM
No way we draft a RB...unless we get a great one fall to us! With Parker, MeMo, Dookie and Russell...that is more depth than most teams have! :)

SCSteeler
04-20-2008, 02:33 PM
No way we draft a RB...unless we get a great one fall to us! With Parker, MeMo, Dookie and Russell...that is more depth than most teams have! :)

i'm still a BIG fan of Russell and Davenport! I just thought it was weird that the guy who's job is to cover the Steelers 24/7 thinks we're gonna go for an RB?

mikehop05
04-20-2008, 03:48 PM
i'm still a BIG fan of Russell and Davenport! I just thought it was weird that the guy who's job is to cover the Steelers 24/7 thinks we're gonna go for an RB?

Well Bouchette isn't always entirely reliable...

ryanrayne
04-20-2008, 06:03 PM
I like the idea of drafting Jack Ike in the 3rd ..Typically rookies don't start on D year one anyway. Why not draft him, let him recover and learn the system. If he drops that would be nice. Who knows, he may be able to contribute later in the year on ST if he doesn't go on the PUP list or IR..I say OL and Dl in the first 2 rounds. I think we can get a "tall" eceiver in the 4th or 5th. I don't see any trades this year. We only have 6 and trading out of the first round might not get us the quality O lineman we need. But, then again these are just my opinions.

mikehop05
04-20-2008, 09:32 PM
I like the idea of drafting Jack Ike in the 3rd ..Typically rookies don't start on D year one anyway. Why not draft him, let him recover and learn the system. If he drops that would be nice. Who knows, he may be able to contribute later in the year on ST if he doesn't go on the PUP list or IR..I say OL and Dl in the first 2 rounds. I think we can get a "tall" eceiver in the 4th or 5th. I don't see any trades this year. We only have 6 and trading out of the first round might not get us the quality O lineman we need. But, then again these are just my opinions.

Colbert said this is the deepest draft class for tackles in 24 years... I am pretty sure we can find a quality offensive lineman later than the first.

Smooth Criminal
04-20-2008, 09:32 PM
Updated visit list:
30 official visits confirmed by the Post Gazette.
1. DE Dre Moore - Maryland
2. DE Red Bryant - Texas A&M
3. DE Jason Jones - E. Mich
4. DE Kendall Langford - Hampton
5. OLB Quentin Groves - Auburn
6. OLB Shawn Crable - Michigan
7. OLB Bryan Smith - McNeese State
8. OLB Cliff Avril - Purdue
9. ILB Jerod Mayo - Tennessee
10. ILB Phil Wheeler - Ga Tech
11. S/KR Matthew Slater - UCLA
12. CB Aqib Talib - Kansas
13. CB Charles Godfrey - Iowa
14. CB Tracy Porter - Indiana
15. CB Antwaun Molden - Eastern Kentucky
16. CB Orlando Scandrick - Boise State
17. CB Mike Jenkins - South Florida
18. FB Brandon McAnderson - Kansas
19. RB Ryan Torain - Arizona State
20. RB Jonathan Stewart - Oregon
21. RB Chris Johnson - East Carolina
22. RB Jehuu Caulcrick - Michigan St
23. OT Gosder Cherilus - Boston College
24. OG Branden Albert - Virginia
25. WR James Hardy - Indiana
26. WR Malcolm Kelly - Oklahoma
27. WR Pierre Garcon - Mount Union
28. WR/QB Dennis Dixon - Oregon
29. WR Mario Urrutia - Louisville
30. WR Jerome Simpson - Costal Carolina

Also, 4 "local" Pitt players that dont count against the 30.
29. OT Jeff Otah - Pitt
30. OG Mike McGlynn - Pitt
31. FS Ryan Mundy - WVU
32. DE Keilen Dykes - WVU

I think this list is interesting. We have had players at LB, OL, RB, WR, and CB that are all first round prospects. Now OL prospects other than the locals are projected for any round other than the first.

SCSteeler
04-20-2008, 10:28 PM
Updated visit list:
30 official visits confirmed by the Post Gazette.
1. DE Dre Moore - Maryland
2. DE Red Bryant - Texas A&M
3. DE Jason Jones - E. Mich
4. DE Kendall Langford - Hampton
5. OLB Quentin Groves - Auburn
6. OLB Shawn Crable - Michigan
7. OLB Bryan Smith - McNeese State
8. OLB Cliff Avril - Purdue
9. ILB Jerod Mayo - Tennessee
10. ILB Phil Wheeler - Ga Tech
11. S/KR Matthew Slater - UCLA
12. CB Aqib Talib - Kansas
13. CB Charles Godfrey - Iowa
14. CB Tracy Porter - Indiana
15. CB Antwaun Molden - Eastern Kentucky
16. CB Orlando Scandrick - Boise State
17. CB Mike Jenkins - South Florida
18. FB Brandon McAnderson - Kansas
19. RB Ryan Torain - Arizona State
20. RB Jonathan Stewart - Oregon
21. RB Chris Johnson - East Carolina
22. RB Jehuu Caulcrick - Michigan St
23. OT Gosder Cherilus - Boston College
24. OG Branden Albert - Virginia
25. WR James Hardy - Indiana
26. WR Malcolm Kelly - Oklahoma
27. WR Pierre Garcon - Mount Union
28. WR/QB Dennis Dixon - Oregon
29. WR Mario Urrutia - Louisville
30. WR Jerome Simpson - Costal Carolina

Also, 4 "local" Pitt players that dont count against the 30.
29. OT Jeff Otah - Pitt
30. OG Mike McGlynn - Pitt
31. FS Ryan Mundy - WVU
32. DE Keilen Dykes - WVU

I think this list is interesting. We have had players at LB, OL, RB, WR, and CB that are all first round prospects. Now OL prospects other than the locals are projected for any round other than the first.

would we use Dre Moore and Red Bryant as Ends or Tackles?
and what do you guys think we need more, DE or DT?

mikehop05
04-20-2008, 10:44 PM
would we use Dre Moore and Red Bryant as Ends or Tackles?
and what do you guys think we need more, DE or DT?

I think they could both play either

and i think we need a DE more