PDA

View Full Version : What OTs go in the two first rounds?

Wavy77
01-01-2008, 05:54 PM
I imagine quite a lot of tackles will be picked in the first two rounds, but behind Jake Long, how do you rate the rest?

Since I don't have a chance to watch college football I'd like to see what people think is the second best choice.

The OTs who're often mentioned to go in the first two rounds include:

Jake Long
Sam Baker
Ryan Clady
Gosder Cherilus
Chris Williams
Michael Oher
Jeff Otah
Tony Hills

Personally (I'm a Bears-fan) I'd like to see us take Tony Hills in the 2. round as he's fast, athletic and has a good attittude. So do you think he'll be there at the 48. overall pick??

toonsterwu
01-01-2008, 06:26 PM
Off the top, my take (I'm going to put in a lot of the juniors, obviously some won't declare; random order within tiers)

1st tier - Range from early 1st to maybe the 20's

Jake Long - Has been overanalyzed a bit and is a solid player, but workouts will be big.

Ryan Clady - Don't be stunned if Clady pushes for the top OT slot.

Jeff Otah - I think everyone's waiting on the workouts.

Michael Oher - A lot of talk about him workinig his way up the boards it seems.

2nd tier - Range from maybe 20's - 2nd

Chris Williams - I'm a fan of his and wouldn't stun me to see him push into that first tier.

Sam Baker - Workouts will be big.

Gosder Cherilus - RT ability should prevent a big fall.

Alex Boone - If he declares, should get a lot of teams intrigued with his upside.

Phillip Loadholt - IMO, another year would really benefit him, but I could see him bolting.

Anthony Collins -See above.

3rd tier - Range maybe Late 2nd - mid 4th

Branden Albert - wouldn't surprise me if NFL teams thought about trying him at OT)

Mike McGlynn - could go higher as a guard, although not that much.

Chad Rinehart - Small school guy could force his way up a bit.

John Greco - Probably a bit overlooked right now and is a solid talent in his own right, although I'm not sure about him at LT.

Oniel Cousins - I'd like to come up with something to say, but I don't have anything coming to mind right now.

Carl Nicks - Athletic potential could slide him up a bit.

4th tier - Range maybe 4th - early 6th?

Kirk Barton - Solid steady guy who can produce in the right situation.

Tony Hills - For all his athletic potential, seems more of a RT.

Barry Richardson - The definition of an underachiever. Could go higher if some team falls in love with the potential.

Duane Brown - Athletic potential is there, but needs work. May be better as a guard.

Heath Benedict - A lot of folks seem to slate him as a guard already for some reason. If a team develops him, I can see him as a solid pro RT.

I think I'm missing some guys, but I'm too lazy to go dig up any of my lists right now.

Wavy77
01-01-2008, 06:52 PM
Why do you rank Tony Hills that low?

Hasn't he played mostly LT with the Longhorns? He seems to have a lot of upside if he can grow a little still. I mean, yeah, he has been injured, but he'll be pretty healthy in time.

doingthisinsteadofwork
01-01-2008, 08:18 PM
I still dont get why people like Clady that much.He doesnt do that well on the field.

BeerBaron
01-01-2008, 09:01 PM
for the bears i like BIG tackles...otah is my guy. hills isnt big enough for my liking

keylime_5
01-01-2008, 09:31 PM
Jake Long, Ryan Clady, Jeff Otah, and Sam Baker for sure. If Michael Oher, Phil Loadholt, and Alex Boone declare they will all have a shot at the late first round and no later than the 2nd round. Chris Williams is in the mix too. I think Kirk Barton could go in round 2.

foozball
01-01-2008, 10:01 PM
hills isnt all that strong or physical. needs to gain weight. he has the athleticism, but not the demeanor.

DaBear89
01-01-2008, 10:24 PM
clady or otah are fine with me at 14. more than likely otah will be the one available.