PDA

View Full Version : McFadden a Dolphin?

darnik44two
01-01-2008, 10:11 PM
I wrote this piece for another site, but I figured I'd post it in here for your opinions...

McFadden a Dolphin?

After a dismal 2007 season, the Miami Dolphins hold the top pick in this year's NFL Draft. As always, there is much speculation over who will or should be this year's top pick. As always you start hearing about each teams needs. To me, the Dolphins have only one need. That one need is to get more talent on their roster. Bad teams can't afford to draft based on "need," they need to draft with an attempt to get the best available football players to increase the teams overall talent level. The Dolphins have so many "holes" that drafting one particular player or position isn't going to fix their problems. Let's face it, the Dolphins aren't going to get good over night or with just one draft.

The direction I feel would best serve the Dolphins would be to take the draft's best player in Arkansas running back Darren McFadden. McFadden is a rare talent with a tremendous combination of size, speed, vision, and power. McFadden is the type of player an offense can be built around. Generally the running back position is the easiest position to have an immediate impact when making the jump from college to the NFL. After seeing the success Adrian Peterson had this season in Minnesota, I think that makes the McFadden pick all that more logical. As I earlier stated, the Dolphins aren't going to right the ship over night or with just this years draft. I'm sure there will be a 2-3 year plan put in place, which will allow plenty of time to sure up the offensive line, defensive line, and secondary. They won't have nearly as many chances to land a game-breaking talent like McFadden. Another aspect to look at is their quarterback situation. Last year the Dolphins spent a second round pick on BYU quarterback John Beck. The Dolphins hope they have finally found an heir apparent to Dan Marino in Beck. What better way to take the pressure off a young quarterback than to have a strong running game?

So you say, "What about Ronnie Brown?" Believe me, I'm not ready to sell Brown up the river, but there is no guarantee he will be 100% next season or ever again after tearing up his knee early this season. Prior to this season Brown was average at best, although he did look very good early this season prior to getting hurt. If Brown is Ok, that's all the better for the Dolphins. Two back system's are all the craze right now in the copy-cat league that is the NFL. New team president Bill Parcell's has shown in the past he favors a 2 back system.

-darnik44

yo123
01-01-2008, 10:16 PM
It would be a nice luxury to have two RB's like that in the same backfield, but for a team that went 1-15 this year, can you really afford to have a luxury like that?

They need D-line help, and badly. Teams run on them at will. I would go with either Chris Long or Glenn Dorsey, I personally prefer Long by a little bit.

BeerBaron
01-01-2008, 10:18 PM
how much money would that be if you invest two top 5 picks in RB? waaaay too much....especially in a position where one awkward hit turns you from a game changer into just some other guy.

if parcells, who says he wants to let who he hires as GM And coach handle the team anyway, really wants to go back to a 2 back system, he can bring in a guy hes coached before in julius jones when he doesn't get resigned by the cowboys.

no, the dolphins wouldn't put that much of an investment into that position without a proven QB to throw and a sufficient line to protect.

darnik44two
01-01-2008, 10:22 PM
It would be a nice luxury to have two RB's like that in the same backfield, but for a team that went 1-15 this year, can you really afford to have a luxury like that?

They need D-line help, and badly. Teams run on them at will. I would go with either Chris Long or Glenn Dorsey, I personally prefer Long by a little bit.

you must not have read a word...

01-01-2008, 10:25 PM
Remember Ronnie Brown was the best RB in the league before he got injured. The only way I could see them taking McFadden is if he absolutely tears up the combine and puts on a legendary performance but even then Id take my chances with them opting to trade down instead.

yo123
01-01-2008, 10:26 PM
you must not have read a word...

How do you figure that? I read every word. Just because you dont write something about how teams shouldnt draft on need means I immediately have to take your opinion?

49er Fan #1
01-01-2008, 10:30 PM
Dolphins really need to trade down about a couple spots and pick up some more picks. They can trade down a few spots and possibly get Dorsey or Jake Long and add more picks, one player will not fix there team right now

darnik44two
01-01-2008, 10:33 PM
Trading down always sounds good, but how often does it actually happen? The problem is, teams within striking range all have "too many needs too" so they can't afford the trade.

BeerBaron
01-01-2008, 10:33 PM
Remember Ronnie Brown was the best RB in the league before he got injured. The only way I could see them taking McFadden is if he absolutely tears up the combine and puts on a legendary performance but even then Id take my chances with them opting to trade down instead.

the dolphins are probably hoping that mcfadden does indeed have god like performaces leading up to the draft because then teams will have increased interest in trading up to get him. (maybe the cowboys. they have 2 first rounders this year and have few enough needs IMO that they can throw in next years as well possibly to get him)

foozball
01-01-2008, 10:36 PM
i wouldnt be surprised. remember, john beck is an inexperienced QB, what better way to take pressure off of him than having 2 dominant RB's? Brown and Mcfadden are both powerful backs which would tire down defenses with 45+ rushing attempts per game between the two of them. running that many times with 2 big RB's limits the chances of turnovers by a young QB and takes pressure off of Beck so he can run the playaction all day.

thebow305
01-01-2008, 10:37 PM
I know it is the consensus right now, but isn't Dorsey right up there with DMac when it comes to the best player in this draft. So why not choose him? He fills a need and is arguably the best defensive player in the draft, possibly even best player overall. Although not a great fit and not my first choice, it makes a ton more sense than McFadden at this point. Sorry bro, I get what you're saying, but your reasoning is all off.

Flyboy
01-01-2008, 10:38 PM
Remember Ronnie Brown was the best RB in the league before he got injured..

... He was?

01-01-2008, 10:39 PM
... He was?

Numbers dont lie.

BehrenMan007
01-01-2008, 10:50 PM
Well Parcells doesn't like to take RBs in the first round and we also have Lorenzo Booker- our 3rd rounder who's been looking really good in the few games he has played. I don't think we would spend #2 on a RB, a 3rd roundeer on a RB and then the #1 overall on a RB 3 out of 4 years. And, Parcells has mentioned he wants to retain Jesse Chatman.

BroadwayJoe10
01-01-2008, 10:52 PM
I understand the point of view, but i still can't see putting the money into him. I know the dolphins need to add talent, but i'd rather add talent in a position of greater need. After seeing c.long play today i think he could possibly be the pick over dorsey. He seems like a very solid and safe pick. The only way i see him not having a succesful NFL career is injury. I'm not saying he's a gauranteed HOFer or better than his pops, but there isn't anything i dont like about him, except for maybe not weighing 310 lbs.

diabsoule
01-01-2008, 11:06 PM
I agree with everything you said. You make a very convincing argument as to why the Dolphins should take McFadden, however, I disagree. Parcells, known to be a 3-4 system guy, knows how important it is to have a 3-4 DE/OLB and I think that he will invest the pick in Chris Long in order to build the defense up to his liking.

Rich Jr
01-01-2008, 11:12 PM
I agree with everything you said. You make a very convincing argument as to why the Dolphins should take McFadden, however, I disagree. Parcells, known to be a 3-4 system guy, knows how important it is to have a 3-4 DE/OLB and I think that he will invest the pick in Chris Long in order to build the defense up to his liking.They can trade down (they won't ask the farm i'm sure, they need help and will take a decent offer) and can draft Long. He isn't worth the #1 overall pick IMO.

Paranoidmoonduck
01-01-2008, 11:24 PM
Depending on how much stock you put in prior draft's, it would appear that Parcell's is far more likely to pick a dominant lineman over a runningback. The Dolphins might take steps to solidify their backfield depending on the progress of Brown, but I'd be a bit surprised if McFadden goes to the Dolphins on draft day.

finsfan4life
01-02-2008, 09:45 AM
It won't happen. Ronnie Brown is THE runningback, and Ricky Williams is the top backup. Say what you will about Ricky but he can still play football.

comahan
01-02-2008, 10:35 AM
Wild Dolphin formation with McFadden and Ronnie... woo!

draftguru151
01-02-2008, 12:42 PM
Wild Dolphin formation with McFadden and Ronnie... woo!

Don't forget Ginn!

scottyboy
01-02-2008, 12:49 PM
I think Parcells is going to build up the D in this years draft. With a very good D, and a top 5 RB in Ronnie Brown, you can win games by holding the other team off the board and kill clock with Ronnie. I just don't think a team will invest that much $ into to RB's.

grushcow
01-02-2008, 12:56 PM
alright i'll give you reasons he won't be drafted. Runningback is the only positive thing happening on our roster, Ronnie is already walking around and chatman and booker have been very productive. Parcells has addressed publicly that he doesn't want to risk spending all the guaranteed money it costs to pay a #1 overall running back. Miami has too many holes on defense and parcells is known to build through the defensive side of the ball. He has a history of taking players sons and has taken a ton of players from virginia and virginia tech. He has said he wants players that fit his system as well. Miami is in great position to trade down too with the raiders or the falcons. DMac is just not going to happen unless he falls into the second round haha.