PDA

View Full Version : How would a Plus One System work?

Shane P. Hallam
01-01-2008, 11:36 PM
Call me stupid, but I was thinking about this after seeing Georgia and USC dominate. How would a Plus One System work if it was instituted?

Would it be 1 vs. 4 and 2 vs. 3 in BCS Bowl games, the winners play in a NC Game? What would happen to Bowl tie-ins?

Would you just play the Bowl Games as usual, with Bowl tie-ins as such, and have a new poll afterwards, top two place in BCS Championship?

Is there another way to do it? I'm just wondering. I'm going to google it now, but figured I'd post here for a discussion.

porter20
01-01-2008, 11:40 PM
Plus-1 wouldn't work now if LSU, USC, Georgia, Virginia Tech and Oklahoma are all winners of their bowl games. We'd still have a 5-way tie between 2-loss teams.

I wonder how the Plus One system would work? Hopefully it'll prevent USC vs Illinois and Georgia vs Hawaii from ever happening again!

jballa838
01-01-2008, 11:43 PM
i dont know if this will ever happen.

Shane P. Hallam
01-01-2008, 11:47 PM
I didn't mean specifically this year, but in general. Would two bowls rotate 1 vs. 4 and 2 vs. 3?

Say the Bowls shook down like this this year:

Rose:
USC vs. OSU-Winner: USC

Fiesta: Oklahoma vs. West Virginia Winner: Oklahoma

Orange: Georgia vs. Virginia Tech Winner: Georgia

Sugar: LSU vs. Hawaii Winner: LSU

Do you do a new poll and the top 2 play for the NC?

Or does it go like this:

Sugar Bowl: LSU vs. Oklahoma

Rose Bowl: Ohio State vs. Georgia

Winners play in NC Game.

bustabinary
01-02-2008, 12:20 AM
I think the easiest way is to put 8 teams (6 conference winners plus 2 at large) in the 4 BCS bowls on New Years Day and then you have 4 teams left, then finish the playoffs from there.

I guess I'm being optimistic. I doubt a playoff is coming soon.

cdobry1991
01-02-2008, 02:25 PM
Easiest to me would go with the 4 BCS Bowls and their tie-ins. Then after the 4 Bowls, take another BCS Poll. Have the Top 2 in that Poll play in the National Title Game. That would make the Rose Bowl happy most of all, because they could keep the Big 10-Pac 10 champions playing.

Shane P. Hallam
01-05-2008, 04:24 PM
No one has given me an answer on this. Just what they want. I want to know the actual answer.

Shane P. Hallam
01-05-2008, 05:00 PM
A plus one won't work, and I doubt we'll ever see one. It would mean that fans would have to put their time and money around one game in one big city not necessarily near their campus one week, and then a week later do it again the next week for another big game in some other city. The only way a playoff would work in college football is if there was home games for one team, which is kinda not fair. There is no way a whole fanbase can go to say Miami for their team one week and then make plans right away to go to Los Angeles or New Orleans to watch their team the next. Its not like the NFL where they have home games and only 1 neutral game the whole postseason

Okay, I DON'T CARE IF IT WOULD BE GOOD OR NOT

All I want to know is, if instituted, how would it be executed? Which of the two scenarios above would happen?

keylime_5
01-05-2008, 05:05 PM
Well if they had a plus one this year then they'd probably not have a BCS NC game and this would've happened:

Rose-Ohio State vs USC
Sugar- LSU vs Missouri or Kansas
Orange- WVU vs Va Tech
Fiesta- Oklahoma vs Georgia

After that they'd just decide who was #1 and #2 and then they'd play in the BCS National Championship. The USC/OSU winner would go for sure, and LSU or Georgia would've went depending if LSU lost or not. If LSU beat their opponent they would get in, if not then Georgia if they won. If Georgia and LSU both lost then it'd be Oklahoma if they won or the VT/WVU winner.

Shane P. Hallam
01-05-2008, 05:08 PM
So they would play the Bowls as usual and then decide the Top 2 instead of doing 1 vs. 4 and 2 vs. 3?

energizerbunny
01-05-2008, 06:10 PM
I think so, its so screwed up year because this has been the definition of parody in college football.

Shane P. Hallam
01-05-2008, 06:31 PM
I don't care about this year. I'm asking how a Plus One would work in general, every year.

jballa838
01-05-2008, 06:34 PM
i dont think it would. people who be snubbed and not happy. kinda like the bcs.

on second thought it would.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
01-06-2008, 04:48 PM
Good question JB. I never really thought of it before. But thinking about it, I have a possibility. Okay, so you have the top-4 seeds. Let's say, LSU, OSU, USC, OU(as examples for now). Before bowl season(but after conference championships), have the 1 seed play the 4, and the 2 play the 3. The games could be at the 1 and 2 seed's homefield, or a neutral venue that doesn't change, or even at the field the NC game will be played*. The winners of the games would play for the NC, and the losers would go to their standard conference tied bowl game.

*This would offer a new situation, as perhaps the games could be played on New Year's day or thereabouts, and it could be made a big event. "AllState presents Final Four Football" or something. And obviously it would change to "FedEx Final Four Football," "Tostitos Final Four Football," depending on where the game was. Then, the losers would play in(this year) the Sugar Bowl, or whatever bowl was "hosting" the championship. The winners would play in the NC game.

It isn't a perfect solution, but I feel it could make things interesting. They could always add bowl games for this kind of thing, though.

Shane P. Hallam
01-06-2008, 05:35 PM
I like it Chris. People talk about Plus One so much. We really don't know what it would be for sure though?