PDA

View Full Version : Darren McFadden is good, but overrated.

Halsey
01-02-2008, 12:04 AM
When I say 'overrated' I mean I don't think he's the easy #1 rated prospect, franchise changing player that so many seem to think he is. I have little doubt that he can be a very good NFL back, but that doesn't mean he should be the consensus #1 prospect in the draft. Here are the reasons I think he's overrated.

Reason 1: He's played in a RB friendly offense at Arkansas. He's not even the only productive back on his own team. Every single one of Arkansas' top 5 rushers averaged well over 5ypc this season. 4 of thier lineman were named All SEC by the coaches. Rivals.com named 2 of thier O-lineman All Americans. Arkansas has become an O-line factory in recent years with guys like Jason Peters, Shawn Andrews and Tony Ugoh doing very well in the NFL.

Reason 2: He reminds me a little of Reggie Bush in that he's had a lot of big holes to run through and uses his elite speed to outrun LB's and DB's. Getting into the open field won't happen as much in the pros. I'm not convinced he's all that special when he has to grind out yards between the tackles.

Reason 3: His minor off field issues should not be simply ignored. He hurt himself in a bar fight and is being linked to an agent. Where there's smoke there might just be fire.

adschofield
01-02-2008, 12:11 AM
I actually agree...Today was the first that I sat down and watched him specifically, and I didn't think his vision was that great...He's got great explosiveness, no doubt, but isn't quite on Adrian Peterson's level

SchizophrenicBatman
01-02-2008, 12:22 AM
To me, there are very few RB prospects worth taking in the top 10 picks of a draft. Ignoring his injury concerns, Adrian Peterson was one of them. Darren McFadden is right on the cusp

BrabbitMcRabbit
01-02-2008, 12:54 AM
Agreed. He isn't as good as his hype would indicate.

energizerbunny
01-02-2008, 03:25 AM
When you run like that in the SEC your good, sure he has a great line, but alot of the time OLine won't get pub unless they are blocking for a high-quality back like DMC or Felix.

When you consider what he and Felix have done in the best conference in football with probally one of the worst passing attacks around its quite impressive.

He isn't on the same level as AD, but we probally won't see another prospect like him for another decade.

Comparing him to Bush is ludacris, Bush had about 4-5 other skills to take the pressure off him and ensure he wasn't the featured guy every play by the D.

Sportsfan486
01-02-2008, 10:21 AM
Reason 1: He's played in a RB friendly offense at Arkansas. He's not even the only productive back on his own team. Every single one of Arkansas' top 5 rushers averaged well over 5ypc this season. 4 of thier lineman were named All SEC by the coaches. Rivals.com named 2 of thier O-lineman All Americans. Arkansas has become an O-line factory in recent years with guys like Jason Peters, Shawn Andrews and Tony Ugoh doing very well in the NFL.

He also runs entirely against 8-9 man fronts.

BamaFalcon59
01-02-2008, 10:34 AM
When you run like that in the SEC your good, sure he has a great line, but alot of the time OLine won't get pub unless they are blocking for a high-quality back like DMC or Felix.

Very true and often overlooked.

Halsey
01-02-2008, 01:08 PM
The SEC is not the NFL. If it was, Rex Grossman would be a Pro Bowler.

bored of education
01-02-2008, 01:11 PM

that made me laugh!

T.Smith
01-02-2008, 04:31 PM
While McFadden is the best RB(by Default imo, the RB class sucks out loud. I have always thought he was overrated as hell. He will be nothing but average imo. Why? Arkansas zone Block makes him look far greater then he is, McFadden never has to work to get to the line of scrimmage, it is a given that he will have giant ass holes, and With McFaddens ability he makes the best of them giant ass holes on every play, but when he dosn't have giant holes to run through, like what he will see in the NFL, he struggles and making anything happen.

Shiver
01-02-2008, 04:52 PM
McFadden is a great player, but I definitely do not think he is as good as Adrian Peterson was. It is nearly impossible for a RB to justify a top-5 selection. To do so you need to be a hall of fame caliber player, and more often than not you can get a good back later in the draft. I think the teams that take Rashard Mendenhall and Jonathan Stewart in the mid-1st will end up with better value than the team who takes McFadden in the top-5.

ATLDirtyBirds
01-02-2008, 04:57 PM
I think McFadden is an amazing player and most certainly not overrated. The man can fly. He can run to the inside unlike Bush, and hits the holes. He won't barrel you Adrian Peterson style, but he can lay a good stiff arm when he needs to. I think he is more then worthy of a top 5 pick.

Rich Jr
01-02-2008, 05:05 PM
IMO, If Jonathan Stewart comes out he's the best RB.

jbooshey
01-02-2008, 05:12 PM
I actually agree...Today was the first that I sat down and watched him specifically, and I didn't think his vision was that great...He's got great explosiveness, no doubt, but isn't quite on Adrian Peterson's level

Yes...so let's base our opinion on the one game you saw him play in over his career.

no love
01-02-2008, 05:34 PM
Overrated, because most running backs not named Adrian Peterson in the top 5 are.

I would try to get one of those freak LT's, DT's or DE's with a top 5 pick, despite the probability of busting, games are won and lost on the line.

There are always good backs with less than ideal measurables in rounds 2-Undrafted:
Frank Gore, Brian Westbrook, Willie Parker, Clinton Portis, Lendale White, Justin Fargas, Brandon Jacobs, Marion Barber, Ryan Grant, Earnest Graham, Travis Henry, Rudi Johnson....

Babylon
01-02-2008, 05:44 PM
When I say 'overrated' I mean I don't think he's the easy #1 rated prospect, franchise changing player that so many seem to think he is. I have little doubt that he can be a very good NFL back, but that doesn't mean he should be the consensus #1 prospect in the draft. Here are the reasons I think he's overrated.

Reason 2: He reminds me a little of Reggie Bush in that he's had a lot of big holes to run through and uses his elite speed to outrun LB's and DB's. Getting into the open field won't happen as much in the pros. I'm not convinced he's all that special when he has to grind out yards between the tackles.

Reason 3: His minor off field issues should not be simply ignored. He hurt himself in a bar fight and is being linked to an agent. Where there's smoke there might just be fire.

I wouldnt pay too much attention to the off field stuff, he seems like a pretty soft spoken kid and who knows what his contact with agents is if at all.

I too think he's a little overrated but will probably go high according to team need. I might be just as high on Mendenhall and Stewart and as was pointed out those guys will probably be better value where they're picked.

BeerBaron
01-02-2008, 05:54 PM
doesnt this conversation take place with every elite running back at one point or another?

heck, just last year i know a good number of people were saying that AP shouldn't be taken as high as he did because he was "injury prone" (after 1 significant injury no less) and that he hurt himself showboating and that should be a character concern and all that....

I don't like DMAC as a prospect because i dont think he has a good NFL RB build. he seems too tall and lanky for my liking, and sure he can add some more weight with a pro regiment, but that can come back to hurt sometimes because an increase in weight can mean a decrease in speed and agility...

adschofield
01-02-2008, 06:00 PM
Yes...so let's base our opinion on the one game you saw him play in over his career.

Is vision hit or miss? No. It's not like Arkansas wasn't opening up holes, it's that McFadden didn't see many of them. Felix Jones had a good game, but McFadden didn't look too great...I'm not saying that he won't become a good back, he's just overrated and doesn't warrant a top-5 pick

energizerbunny
01-02-2008, 07:02 PM

THe SEC is alot more talented then it was back when Rex played in it, at this point the SEC is the closest thing we have to the nfl talent wise. I'll ever say Rex was a gunslinger in a system offence, making him alot better then he in reality was.

McFadden outrunning SEC defenders means something, its not like he is thrashing WAC, or C-USA defences here. Were talking about a conference that sends several defensive players to the nfl each year.

That said, I feel DMC is being touted as elite only because of such a weak top end of the draft. In other years he is a 10-20 type guy.

ATLDirtyBirds
01-02-2008, 07:10 PM
Is vision hit or miss? No. It's not like Arkansas wasn't opening up holes, it's that McFadden didn't see many of them. Felix Jones had a good game, but McFadden didn't look too great...I'm not saying that he won't become a good back, he's just overrated and doesn't warrant a top-5 pick

That's making me question if you seriously watched the game.

DMac: 21 rushes for 105 yards and a TD. 5.0 AVG

Felix Jones: 10 rushes for 45 yards. 4.5 AVG

What makes Jones have a good game and DMac not look great?

Gay Ork Wang
01-02-2008, 08:03 PM
Overrated, because most running backs not named Adrian Peterson in the top 5 are.

I would try to get one of those freak LT's, DT's or DE's with a top 5 pick, despite the probability of busting, games are won and lost on the line.

There are always good backs with less than ideal measurables in rounds 2-Undrafted:
Frank Gore, Brian Westbrook, Willie Parker, Clinton Portis, Lendale White, Justin Fargas, Brandon Jacobs, Marion Barber, Ryan Grant, Earnest Graham, Travis Henry, Rudi Johnson....
How many guys are picked in Round 2 - Undrafted? i mean seriously thats not really an argument...i mean u still have guys like LT, AP, Ronnie Brown, Willis McGahee, Steven Jackson, Jamal Lewis, Shaun Alexander, Deuce McAlister. And ultimately: Ron Dayne..okay bad one. But u wanna tell me how many 2nd Round RBs didnt make it?

adschofield
01-02-2008, 08:50 PM
That's making me question if you seriously watched the game.

DMac: 21 rushes for 105 yards and a TD. 5.0 AVG

Felix Jones: 10 rushes for 45 yards. 4.5 AVG

What makes Jones have a good game and DMac not look great?

I didn't mean that he didn't have a great game, I meant that I came away from the game thinking that DMC was not the elite back that everyone was saying...I came away impressed by Jones and his great vision...There were a lot of holes, but I felt as though DMac didn't see them

Flyboy
01-02-2008, 10:24 PM
I didn't mean that he didn't have a great game, I meant that I came away from the game thinking that DMC was not the elite back that everyone was saying...I came away impressed by Jones and his great vision...There were a lot of holes, but I felt as though DMac didn't see them

So, you're basing a prospect simply off of one game? Nice.

Halsey
01-02-2008, 10:36 PM
I don't seny that the SEC has the most talent of any conference. In fact, i'm a UGA fan. I live 2 miles from the campus. However, the NFL is just a different game with players on a different level. The players aren't just talented, but also full grown men who eat and sleep football. Some players translate better into the NFL than they did college and some not quite as well. I just don't think McFadden translates as well as so many seem to think he will. I could be wrong. Time will tell.

furiousgod
01-02-2008, 11:45 PM
im having an insanely hard time trying to say non positive things about run DMC without a potential flame war =D Does anyone else feel that his upright running style GREATLY affects his escapability behind the los and overall elusiveness? He reminds me of a Justin Fargas with a 6th gear and a stiff arm. He is similar in regard to upright run style, limited elusiveness and average vision. If i were a gm and i was on the clock with dmc available id be calling up mr jones and setting up a trade and acquiring mendenhall or stewart with one of those 1st rounders =)

RaiderNation420
01-03-2008, 12:47 AM
Do you people not realize Casey Dick was his QB.

Average OT LB
01-03-2008, 02:03 AM
so wait a second.. hes got a great offensive line and his backup is just as good.. where have a seen this before...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/college/stats/2001/mmiteamstats.html

you got to learn that there are other backs doing the same thing in the same situations.. its the individual performances and outstanding talents displayed by Mcfadden that have set him apart.. hes a big strong fast back... and a workhorse

Turtlepower
01-03-2008, 02:06 AM
My only knock against him is that he runs too upright and could end up getting a serious injury in the NFL unless he lowers his center of gravity a bit. Also, he did play in a system offense. He is the best RB prospect this season without a doubt, but not as elite as passed years' RB prospects. I personally like Marshawn Lynch better than him, but McFadden will still have a good pro career.

BamaFalcon59
01-03-2008, 03:57 PM
Clinton Portis
Frank Gore
Willis Mcgahee
Najeh Davenport

That is crazy.

energizerbunny
01-03-2008, 06:16 PM
Clinton Portis
Frank Gore
Willis Mcgahee
Najeh Davenport

That is crazy.

ironic thing about that is if Frank Gore never blew his knee the next year you never,ever would have heard of Willis McGahee. Frank Gore was so explosive that year many thought he was better than Portis, one reason why Portis decided to bolt for the nfl that year.
Najeh was primarily a fb/short yardage guy.

BamaFalcon59
01-03-2008, 06:18 PM
Willis would have been top 5 if he had not blew his knee, right? I did not follow the draft or college football back then.

energizerbunny
01-03-2008, 06:25 PM
Willis would have been top 5 if he had not blew his knee, right? I did not follow the draft or college football back then.

That was the consensus. Many had him going to the Texans...

That hit still gives me goose bumps.

Halsey
01-10-2008, 12:19 PM

^

It really comes across to me as rather stupid that the guy would even be at a bar when he knows scouts will be putting him under a microscope looking for any flaws. The teams at the very top of the draft are trying to decide who they want to throw $60 million dollars at...

GET LOOSE
01-10-2008, 12:23 PM
i think McFadden is and will be a great back. He will be a pro bowl back sometime in his career

Halsey
01-10-2008, 12:30 PM
i think McFadden is and will be a great back. He will be a pro bowl back sometime in his career

That doesn't mean he's worth a top 5 pick.

GET LOOSE
01-10-2008, 12:43 PM
That doesn't mean he's worth a top 5 pick.

well your not always gonna get a HOF player in the top 5 so i would say a guy who makes the pro-bowl 3 or 4 times is worth a top 5 pick

Halsey
01-10-2008, 12:51 PM
well your not always gonna get a HOF player in the top 5 so i would say a guy who makes the pro-bowl 3 or 4 times is worth a top 5 pick

I'm not going to pretend, like you, that I know how many Pro Bowls a player will go to before he ever sets foot on an NFL practice field, much less if he'll be a HoFer. I just know that he isn't a guy I would want my team spending a top 5 pick on.

GET LOOSE
01-10-2008, 01:03 PM
im saying thats how much i think he will make

Blatz
01-10-2008, 01:17 PM
IMO, If Jonathan Stewart comes out he's the best RB.

I agree.

Like the thread starter, I am not saying that McFadden isn't a great player, I just don't think he is the end-all, be-all #1 prospect people are making him out to be.