PDA

View Full Version : Four Rounds - No Trade

toonsterwu
02-21-2007, 04:43 PM
Four round, no-trade. Cleveland ahead of Tampa Bay in round 1. Had been meaning to get out 2 mocks before the combine, but will have to push off the mock with trade for post-combine. Probably will get a few more “intriguing” comments, but it’s early, so who knows, and the offseason movement should change a lot. Just watch, by this time next week, everything may be blown out of the water already.

1st Round

1. Oakland Raiders

Doingthisinsteadofowrk: Horrible Raiders pick. I will say that, if the slowly developing talk of them looking into acquiring a young veteran QB is true, then this nod would probably go to Calvin Johnson. Until then, the pick is still a franchise QB. Make no mistake about it, I believe Jamarcus Russell to be a deserving top pick. When you combine the physical tools with the mechanics, along with the snap and steady development he’s shown, he is one of two legitimate elite prospects in this draft, in my opinion (the other being Calvin Johnson). There is a definite need for a franchise QB there.

Pick: QB Jamarcus Russell, LSU

2. Detroit Lions

A bevy of different rumors floating around gives one signal – if they had a preference, it would be to move down and accumulate picks. I’m not sure there’s a trade partner I see, but anyhow, it’s a no-trade mock. With the recent personnel announcements, one position finally takes a small lead over the other. For a long time, I was tossing DE/OT back and forth. While they could definitely use OL talent, with James Hall on the way out, they need an impact defensive end. Gaines Adams has the pass rushing potential to be a star, but relative to his draft value, he needs to run at least a low 4.7 number to maintain such a high positioning. If they fail to sign a WR, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Calvin Johnson emerge as an option.

Pick: DE Gaines Adams, Clemson

3. Cleveland Browns

This is a make-or-break offseason for the current leadership. They need to get immediate help that still parlays into long term impact. For me, that rules out QB. There’s four key areas that I see: CB, RB, OL, DL. CB isn’t that big of a concern relatively, so it can wait. Phil Savage was involved in the drafting of Jonathan Ogden and knows the value of elite OL talent, so Joe Thomas is a thought. But the feeling for now is that, while Thomas is a good OT talent, he’s not an elite OT talent, and that might not be the move that’s made. Carriker was a long thought here … but in the end, I’m not that bold. Haloti Ngata makes me think that Alan Branch is not a fit, and Jamaal Anderson is going the direction of slimming down, so I don’t see that either. As such, the nod right now is towards a RB, even though there does seem to be some growing rumors against that. In 2000, Phil Savage was involved in the decision to select Jamal Lewis. Yes, Jamal was a durability concern as well, but what led to him rising was the fact that he had a stellar workout. It’s easy to forget that Thomas Jones was easily the top back throughout most of that draft season. Marshawn Lynch’s claims of a 4.3ish time seems to be garnering support. It’s not something that surprises me, as I thought he had the top end speed, but a lot of people questioned it (heck, I see somewhere where they have him as 4.55). Now, I don’t think anyone buys the low 4.3 time he claims, but mid-high 4.3’s seem possible. If he runs that well, he’ll soar up the boards. As I’ve long noted, I’ve felt he was the best back in the draft. If it wasn’t for the ankle this year, I think his status would’ve been defined as a top pick very early. To me, he’s a combination of Laurence Maroney and Joseph Addai. If he doesn’t come in with a 4.3 time, then the nod would go to Adrian Peterson over Joe Thomas. Why not Peterson, considering I expect Peterson to run a low-mid 4.4 time? In the end, will Savage take a guy that, based on similar talents, will likely start to decline in 4-5 years?

Pick: RB Marshawn Lynch, California

4. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Another team that’s facing a make-or-break offseason for the current leadership. In a no trade scenario, this one is the easiest one on the board. While there’s plenty of defensive needs, along with offensive line needs, the nod goes to the much needed WR talent in Calvin Johnson. He is a legit elite talent and should allow Michael Clayton to settle into a more comfortable role as the number 3 guy.

Pick: WR Calvin Johnson, Georgia Tech

5. Arizona Cardinals

Whisenhunt could go a number of ways with this pick, but if Joe Thomas is on the board, the nod goes there. I’ve never been a big believer that Joe Thomas is an elite tackle. That said, he is a good tackle prospect. While Levi Brown is working his way up, he isn’t here yet, and Thomas fills a big need. I wouldn’t rule out the Cardinals passing on Thomas/Brown and going DE here … but for now, the nod is OT.

Pick: OT Joe Thomas, Wisconsin

6. Washington Redskins

A number of ways Washington could go here, with the nod towards the DL. One school of thought is that, with Gregg Williams playing more cover 2, a speed end makes more sense. I’d counter with that Gregg is a very flexible DC that has played in a variety of different ways based on the personnel. When you look at the Redskins needs at DL, they could use a base end and an interior pass rusher. There’s one talent that could fit both roles, and that’s Adam Carriker. At 290-300 pounds, he has freakish talent and I do think could work his way up this high. If a CB works his way up here and the Redskins haven’t addressed it in the offseason, that becomes a valid option.

Pick: DL Adam Carriker, Nebraska

7. Minnesota Vikings

The feeling is still that they won’t reach for a WR … and as such … I don’t see the WR move here. That leaves defensive end and safety as potential options. The nod, in the end, goes to safety, where someone might be needed right away. Reggie Nelson has the playmaking abilities that could lead to his nod here over a defensive end such as Charles Johnson.

Pick: S Reggie Nelson, Florida

8. Houston Texans

It’s odd how the areas being discussed (RB and OL) are areas that usually, a team with such a scheme, wouldn’t draft early. They could use some DL help … but a third DL pick in the first round with so many other needs? Possible, but as of now, leaning against it. While LB, CB could use help, it’s not likely with the 8th pick. S is a thought, but with Nelson off, Landry isn’t of value here as of now. On offense, outside of RB and OL, WR can wait, TE isn’t a need. That leaves QB. In the end, I think Smith and Kubiak work hard as heck to deal down. As of now, the lean is still against Brady Quinn … and thus it comes down to RB and OL. The feeling of late that I’ve gotten seems to be that, they will consider RB early in the draft, but they might not lean for it first round. It’s close … but the nod here goes to Levi Brown to help the OL. Brown has been steadily rising after dropping off for awhile. He has LT potential … but has to be utilized and developed correctly.

Pick: OL Levi Brown, Penn State

9. Miami Dolphins

With OL value off the board, they are left looking at WR, QB and top defensive players. I’m still not sold on all the increasing Brady Quinn talk, as it seems more of a diversionary tactic. That said, who knows, and I could understand drafting Quinn. But as of now, not leaning that way. Secondary help can wait … although if they go secondary here, I won’t be stunned. I’m left with Alan Branch, edge talent, and WR. I’m just not a huge fan of the Alan Branch fit for Capers … although he could work. Would a raw Ginn Jr. or Bowe get consideration? Perhaps … but I’m not sure they jump for it. Thus, in the end, I opt to go back to an old pick that I made a month or so ago. The nod is to Jarvis Moss, who has dynamic edge abilities and grades closer to Demarcus Ware than is given credit for, and post-Mayock, has seen his support in the message board rise. Could be an ideal fit for the scheme, akin to Jason Taylor, and gives them a young edge talent to mold. Yes … they did generate 47 sacks last year … so it isn’t a pressing need, but only 4.5 sacks came from guys younger than 29.

Pick: OLB/DE Jarvis Moss, Florida

10. Atlanta

Ideally, I think they’d like to find offensive line talent. But the top talents are off the board, and I don’t think anyone really buys someone working his way up here. What’s left? They could opt for defensive line talent, running back, safety help, and arguably, they could even go WR. I don’t buy WR … as of now, because the skillset needed can likely be addressed later (and the return of Brian “Dwayne Jarrett” Finneran should boost things in terms of consistency). I don’t believe Landry is of value. That leaves defensive line, where options like Branch, Johnson, Anderson could all be considered and RB, with Peterson. As of now, this is the floor for Peterson that I see. While defensive line may be tempting, Peterson may be too good to pass up. Let me state my position on Peterson clearly. I think he could be a good back. The problem is, based on past history of similar backs, there’s a strong likelihood that Peterson will start declining in 4-5 years (not saying he’ll take a sharp drop in ability, but I do believe signs of his decline could happen at that time). If I’m drafting high, even at a position that goes through as much turnover these days as RB, that’s a big risk, on top of his already existent durability issues, especially since RB’s drafted high are usually asked to be workhorses sooner than later. That said, it might make sense for a team like Atlanta because, well, they are close in the weaker NFC and they could view their window as being the next, well, 4-5 years.

Pick: RB Adrian Peterson, Oklahoma

11. San Francisco 49ers

In my trade mock, I’m working with a Niners trade down. First, let’s look at the Niners. They could use DL talent … in particular, at NT. DE talent should be considered, but it isn’t as glaring. An edge talent is a possibility along with interior backers. Secondary help could be added. Offensively, the main focus would be on finding a lead WR. Pre-Turner moving to San Diego, the buzz seemed to be against WR, although I would personally go that route. We’ll see what happens with the buzz post-Turner. That means defense, where Alan Branch sticks out. But I’m just not sold that I buy it. He’s best utilized as a 3-4 DE for them, but it’s not a pressing need, and I’m just not sold that he’s the type of guy Manusky, and Nolan, would want. They need edge help, but I don’t see it through the draft, and the LB move here would be a reach. At the end of the day, I’m looking secondary here. I just don’t believe Landry is considered value here. There’s a growing belief that Chris Houston’s claim of low 4.3, potential sub 4.3 is legit. Make no mistake, though, Houston rising wouldn’t be the case of simply a top 40 time (see Fabian Washington), as Chris is a well-rounded CB. I do believe a CB will go higher than most anticipate, I’m just not sure where. Oh, and I don’t see Amobi Okoye as a fit either. I love Houston, but I can see the booing come from this, as CB isn’t a pressing need.

Pick: CB Chris Houston, Arkansas

12. Buffalo Bills

They need to shore up their run D, and while that is a product of the entire defense playing better (see Indianapolis Colts playoffs), front 7 help could be used. The most immediate area where it could be looked at is LB, where Fletcher-Baker is gone and Spikes is declining, and could be gone. Crowell is the only definite starting LB, although Ellison, by all accounts, impressed. The defensive tackle play was subpar. Kyle Williams still seems more of a number 3 DT, and Tripplet was disappointment, McCargo is coming off injury. An end could be considered, but I’m still not sold on that move this high with Hargrove there. While CB is a need overall, it shouldn’t be a high drafting need based on scheme. But you can’t rule it out. Offensive help will likely wait a bit, as there aren’t any glaring needs. While LB is tempting, I’m just not sold Timmons/Willis work their way up enough for the Bills to reach on it. Keep in mind that Whitner was considered, at lowest, as a potential mid-first. I’m not sold Timmons/Willis will rise high enough for them to take that gamble. Thus, the nod here is Amobi Okoye over Alan Branch. Branch is tempting, but I’m just not sold on them opting that route. I still think Okoye looks more Booger McFarland than Warren Sapp long run.

Pick: DT Amobi Okoye, Louisville

13. St. Louis Rams

They’ve drafted DT’s in the first a lot in recent history (Lewis, Pickett, Kennedy). Would they be gunshy? Branch has some concerns … but DT is arguably their most pressing need, considering Glover’s age, Kennedy’s struggles, and Wroten being an unknown. The nod here is going back to the well and drafting Branch. They could look a top edge talent if one is of value. LB can likely wait.

Pick: DT Alan Branch, Michigan

14. Carolina Panthers

Coming off a poor year, this is a leadership that’s facing a make-or-break situation. They could use another receiver, potentially a TE, a DE, LB, and S. At the end of the day, I still can’t see them passing on Brady Quinn. They need a QB of the future. Quinn could very well work his way back up the boards a bit, but this is about where his value is right now.

Pick: QB Brady Quinn, Notre Dame

15. Pittsburgh Steelers

What’s the nod? Tomlin is intentionally trying to murky things up. With the RB’s off and OL likely a reach here, the only offensive area they might consider is WR … but I’m not sure the need warrants a first round move. Thus, the look is defensive, with the idea that they’ll keep the 3-4 base but eventually, some day, likely move to a 4-3 look. Where do they go? They could use an edge talent, CB, and a guy who could perhaps be a 3-tech down the line. The nod here as of now, is a slight, slight lean towards CB coming off the subpar play last year of Ike Taylor and their overall lack of depth at the position. No, a CB isn’t usually a top consideration for the 4-3 cover 2 look that Tomlin might go to someday, but he knows that he has a team that with their 3-4 personnel, has a window right now. Improving the secondary play could be critical in their success. The nod goes away from the local CB and goes to Aaron Ross, if he can run a good mid-4.4ish time.

Pick: CB Aaron Ross, Texas

16. Green Bay Packers

The running backs are off the board. Offensively, that leaves WR as a potential look. Defensively, they could use a safety, CB depth, and there’s rumblings that they are considering DL. DL certainly has value here, but is it pressing enough? CB depth can be addressed later. I’m left with two LSU guys, Landry and Bowe. In the end, the nod goes to the WR. Bowe could be a tremendous fit for the offense. He provides immediate help for Favre, and when Rodgers steps in, he has, potentially, a good WR trio to work with in Bowe/Jennings/Driver.

Pick: WR Dwayne Bowe, LSU

17. Jacksonville Jaguars

There’s a lot of talk about WR here, but I’m not sure I buy it. For their needs, they could likely find a solid WR in the 2nd or 3rd round. I’m looking defense here. They could use some pass rush help, and that could come at DE. They could use some CB depth, and perhaps an impact safety. At the end of the day, I’m looking at Charles Johnson, who has a slipped a bit, Jamaal Anderson, and Laron Landry. Safety talent can be found but top pass rushers are harder to find. I prefer Johnson, but the feeling here is that they would prefer Anderson. I’m still on a wait and see mode with Anderson, who has risen more because of the idea that he will have an excellent workout. He played well this past year … but I don’t think, based on his play alone, that would be enough to warrant a top 10 pick if he didn’t have a stellar workout.

Pick: DE Jamaal Anderson, Arkansas

18. Cincinnati Bengals

With the tagging of Justin Smith, defensive end takes a backseat here. If there’s an impact DT, they might look, but there isn’t. A lot of talk on LB’s … but I just don’t see it here as of now. They could use a pass-catching TE … but it can wait and the value this high would be iffy. That leaves the secondary, where CB and safety help could both be used. The nod goes to Laron Landry here. It’s about where I have his value (a couple spots high … but close).

Pick: S Laron Landry, LSU

19. Tennessee Titans

They could go a number of directions. The feeling for now is that LB isn’t that pressing with Tulloch there, and safety likely won’t be looked this high (and the value is likely not here). Defensive tackle value is likely lacking. They could use defensive end help. Offensively, they could use a WR. Thus, I’m looking WR/DE. I don’t like this pick, but the nod goes to Ted Ginn Jr. I don’t like it because I’m not sure how much immediate help Ted Ginn Jr. provides to Vince Young. When you look at the WR skillset that they are lacking, it’s an explosive talent like Ginn Jr. Charles Johnson/Anthony Spencer could get consideration here.

Pick: WR Ted Ginn Jr., the Ohio State

20. New York Giants

The team has several areas of need. If there was OL value, they could consider it. Heck, they could use another target for Eli, and RB is a clear area of concern. Defensively, they could use an impact DT if there was one. A playmaking LB is a thought. At the end of the day, for Spagnuolo to run the aggressive scheme that is being anticipated, he needs top CB play, which they lack. Revis could very well go higher, but I’m not sold on his speed warranting it, which could lead to a drop. The nod, though, is to Josh Wilson making a big rise at the combine. He’s already shown his abilities at the Senior Bowl, and he has better toughness than people would think with his size. He’s got the skills to be the man up on the edges.

Pick: CB Josh Wilson, Maryland

21. Denver Broncos

I expect the Broncos to be active on draft day, either charging up for someone, or dealing down and potentially accumulating future picks. But it’s no-trade for now. They could use defensive line help, end or tackle. Getting youth at safety is a thought. I wouldn’t rule out a WR pick … but with Ginn Jr. off the board, I find that less likely. RB value is off, and OL can wait. Without tackle value here, and with safety something that can be dealt with later, the focus is on DE. A lot of options, but the nod goes to Charles Johnson, who I love, but slips a bit in this mock. If he works out as well as some expect, he could be long gone though.

Pick: DE Charles Johnson, Georgia

22. Dallas Cowboys

The hiring of Wade Phillips keeps the 3-4, which was the right move. Offensively, with T.O. likely returning, the main offensive concern is on the OL. Defensively, they could use secondary help. The nod still goes to CB, but that could change. Darrelle Revis may be the type of big corner that Wade likes, allowing Henry to move to safety.

Pick: CB Darrelle Revis, Pittsburgh

23. Kansas City Chiefs

With Ginn Jr. and Bowe off the board, I’m not sold on a move for WR here for now. They could use offensive line help. Defensively, LB/DT would be thoughts. DT value is iffy here, and LB can likely wait in this draft. The nod here goes to Joe Staley. The mistake would be to think that Staley is just an athlete playing OT. Yes, he’s raw, but the overall package is there. If he was simply an athlete, I’m not sold on a potential rise, as 40 times mean little for the OL. But the tools and awareness are there to be a top tackle, and I think he could be good value here come draft time.

Pick: OT Joe Staley, Central Michigan

24. New England Patriots

The franchising of Asante Samuel removes CB from a first round thought. That said, I wasn’t thinking CB anyways. They need to add CB talent … but that can be done later. A lot of talk on safety … but I think James Sanders improvement down the stretch, no matter what happens with Harrison, may push this focus aside … and I’m not sure there’s value here either. They could use OL help, but recent history suggests that this will be done later … and it’s iffy if there is value anyways. Thus, it’s LB or WR I’m looking at. The WR options aren’t the ones that would be expected, but LB is a more pressing need. They could go inside or out. Banta-Cain is a FA, and an uncertain return, but Vrabel’s versatility is better suited on the edge. The nod goes to an ILB. There’s mixed opinions on how well Brandon Siler runs, but if he runs well enough (high 4.5/low 4.6), I think he solidifies a first round grade. If he runs much lower, watch him tumble. But if he has the footspeed, he’s a LB that’s solid against the run and decent enough in coverage, with good potential to improve their. Belichick seems to have a good rapport with Urban Meyer, and Siler can probably play in the 240-245 range without losing much.

Pick: ILB Brandon Siler, Florida

25. New York Jets

The Jets could use impact 3-4 DL talent, pass rushing help, CB talent, and a big RB. Those seem to be the top areas, with TE/OL potentially drawing consideration depending on value. Ideally, they would find a NT, but the value isn’t here. My guess is that Mangini waits on CB talent based on his history and the talent available, and big RB value is a slight reach here. That leads me looking at Justin Harrell as an impact 3-4 DL option or an edge talent like Abiamiri or Spencer. The nod goes to Anthony Spencer, who could be an excellent 3-4 OLB that can put his hands down in pass-rushing situations. He could arguably go higher.

Pick: OLB/DE Anthony Spencer, Purdue

26. Philadelphia Eagles

Mocking for the Eagles is always a chore. OL/QB/RB aren’t likely here. I don’t buy the safety fits … and not sold on the value either. Do they buck the trend and go LB here? Current guess is no. Willis is a thought, but he might not see the field as a starter as a rookie, and he might just be a 2-down backer. CB was a long thought, and a previous option, but is it a first round move? WR was the second option, as someone like Jarrett may intrigue for the system … but history leads me against that for now. DT value, relative to what they need, is likely lacking unless Tank Tyler works his way back up. As such, the nod is to Abiamiri. They are looking to get more stout on the DL, and Abiamiri has the potential to be a dominant 2-way end. Howard is aging, Kearse is a durability question (and aging), and Thomas is a FA. This could fit into their drafting for the future trend as well. The darkhorse pick was Ikaika Alama-Francis … and it was a tough call.

Pick: DE Victor Abiamiri, Notre Dame

27. New Orleans Saints

There are few offensive needs warranting a top look. At best, the only thing that comes to mind is TE. Defensively, they could use help in the interior of the line. Grant’s tagging protects the edges, but a DT is a thought. LB talent could be upgraded, and CB talent is needed. The nod here goes to Patrick Willis, who might only be a 2-down backer which is why he doesn’t get graded highly, but could very well fit their needs and is rumored to be the guy they are targeting, and potentially, willing to move up for.

Pick: MLB Patrick Willis, Mississippi

28. New England Patriots

I don’t think the Patriots keep both picks. But it’s a no-trade mock. After adding Siler, they could still look to LB, but with Abiamiri off, I don’t see the OLB fit here. CB can wait, safety value is a bit better here, but the feeling is they still wait, along with OL. That leaves WR. Gaffney/Caldwell, in ideal situations, are secondary options. Chad Jackson did very little last year, Troy Brown could be gone. Kelvin Kight/Brandon Childress – well, they are what they are. Drafting a receiving option makes sense, especially someone that can be a deep threat. The big concern about Chad Jackson was that, despite his physical tools, he has questionable football speed, and in turn, is a questionable deep threat option. Along with a deep threat, they also like fluid guys with good quickness. Based on the 2-sample view of Ben Watson and Chad Jackson, I raise the value of overall tools. Finally, solid hands are needed. There’s only one guy that rises to meet the criteria listed that could merit a late first/early 2nd grade. The nod here goes to the Buster Davis from LSU.

Pick: WR Craig Davis, LSU

29. Baltimore Ravens

For a team coming off an excellent campaign, they have a lot of areas they could look. With Mason aging, WR can’t be ruled out, as it could be arguably the best value on the board. OL is a consideration. A QB of the future is a thought, and a young lead back is needed. Defensively, they could use a cornerback to slide Rolle into the slot role, and they could use LB depth. Where do they go? The nod here is to RB, and in particular, Tony Hunt. First, I don’t see this as a reach, as I have Hunt as a late first/early 2nd grade. 2nd, he does somewhat fit the mold of a highly productive, smart talent that they usually take early in the draft. He’s a versatile talent that reminds me a bit of Steven Jackson, without the shake. His 40 time will determine if this ends up being solid value. A low 4.5ish time would probably be fine.

Pick: RB Tony Hunt, Penn State

30. San Diego Chargers

The hiring of Norv gives them their offensive coach needed to develop Phillip Rivers, and the hiring of Cottrell keeps the 3-4, which is what they were better suited for. They could look for OL talent, tackle or guard, as Olivea could slide inside. They could look for another receiver to help Rivers develop. They could look for a safety. It comes down to Michael Griffin or Dwayne Jarrett here. At the end of the day, developing Rivers should rank as the top priority, and with McCardell not certain to return, they really only have Jackson/Parker at WR, with Gates at TE. Adding someone like Jarrett would upgrade things, and Jarrett fits the mold of WR’s that Norv likes. Safeties can be found, and Michael Griffin isn’t a slam dunk value here to force the moe.

Pick: WR Dwayne Jarrett, Southern California

31. Chicago Bears

With Briggs franchised, I don’t see LB here as of now. DL isn’t likely here, and if we sign an OG (or keep Brown, per the rumors indicate), I don’t see OL, as I don’t see Angelo drafting someone who would have no shot to start in year 1. Not sold on WR, although it is possible I guess. CB is a likely no. I’m looking TE or safety, and developing Rex is still the priority. The nod goes to Zach Miller over Greg Olsen, as I think Miller has a higher floor. To be real honest, I’m not a big fan of taking any TE this year in the top 2 rounds, as I don’t see the differential in talent, nor the top level talent itself. I’m a fan of Desmond Clark, having seen him in his days at Wake Forest. But he will be in his 30’s next year, and his contract expires after 2008.

Pick: TE Zach Miller, Arizona State

32. Indianapolis Colts

As they gear up for their defense, they are limited with only 2 day 1 picks. Thus, they need to get value. RB/QB seem unlikely. TE is a thought, but it can likely wait. A young number 3 receiver to develop has to be considered an option. Offensive line is a thought, as Saturday is aging, and Lilja/Scott are both RFA’s. Defensively, a DT is a thought. LB could draw consideration, although they do have Keiaho/Hagler. CB might draw some consideration. A lot of intriguing values on the board. The nod here goes to the Vols Justin Harrell, who I think could work his way into this area. His skillset fits, and he offers some more size inside while still able to get a push.

Pick: DT Justin Harrell, Tennessee

toonsterwu
02-21-2007, 04:44 PM
2nd round

33. Oakland Raiders

After adding their franchise QB, a number of ways they could go. RB value here is iffy. WR is a thought, as is OL. Defensively, they could use an impact safety. A lot of tempting options. The nod goes to refurbishing the OL. Tackle value is tempting, but Gallery may get another go around and Ugoh is a risk. Someone like Ben Grubbs can step in right away and help shore the interior.

Pick: OG Ben Grubbs, Auburn

34. Detroit Lions

After adding a pass rusher, they could look Mebane here if Redding is gone. A CB is a thought. They seem to desire a LB through FA, so I’ll lean against that for now. OL help is needed. While I don’t think that CB tops the chart as a need, at this point, the value may be too good to pass up. The nod goes to Leon Hall, who drops because of some talk about a 4.6 40 talk. If he can run in the 4.4’s, then he’ll be up there as the top corner off the board.

Pick: CB Leon Hall, Michigan

35. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

I’ve long been a huge fan of Mebane, who I feel is underrated on account of not doing anything great. But he does a little of everything, and he does it well. He could be the disrupting 3-tech for the Buccaneers, and he reportedly made a good impression with them at the Senior Bowl.

Pick: DT Brandon Mebane, California

36. Cleveland Browns

After adding a RB, they could look OL/DL here, along with CB. If there’s potential impact DL talent, I think they have to consider it. Ikaika Alama-Francis could well work his way up on account of his workouts, and he has the potential to be a top 3-4 DL talent. OL was a long thought, but it can wait, and this draft has CB depth.

Pick: DL Ikaika Alama-Francis, Hawaii

37. New York Jets f/ Washington

They added an edge talent early on. They could conceivably look ILB, but I don’t buy it here, as a good, big ILB can likely be found later. CB is a consideration, and they could use impact DL talent. OL could be a thought, as could a big back and TE. The nod here goes to Daymeion Hughes, who could be an excellent fit for the scheme due to his awareness and instincts.

Pick: CB Daymeion Hughes, California

38. Arizona Cardinals

After adding their OT, that pretty much settles the offense, unless they look for a RB of the future. As of now, I lean against that. They could use defensive line help, a playmaking LB, and a playmaking safety. The nod here goes to Lawrence Timmons, who slips somewhat.

Pick: LB Lawrence Timmons, Florida State

39. Houston Texans

After adding OL earlier, RB/WR/QB could draw offensive consideration. Defensively, they could use a DE/DT/CB/S help, and adding another LB wouldn’t hurt. The nod here goes to local kid Michael Griffin as the playmaking safety they might desire.

Pick: S Michael Griffin, Texas

40. Miami Dolphins

After adding an edge talent, they could look OL/DL/CB/S/WR. This could go a number of ways, but Robert Meachem could be too good to pass. He can run better than say, a 4.45 (which seems to be what’s rumored), he could go much higher.

Pick: WR Robert Meachem, Tennessee

41. Minnesota Vikings

After adding a playmaking safety, they could look WR/TE/OL here. I don’t see the WR that would stand out as a fit for what Childress wants. Thus, I’m looking OL/TE. While I think OL has better value with Arron Sears or Tony Ugoh, the nod goes to Greg Olsen to give them a better receiving option.

Pick: TE Greg Olsen, Miami

42. San Francisco 49ers

They could go a number of directions after opting for CB earlier. S is a thought, an edge talent could be added, and a NT would be nice. Also, they could use a WR. If he checks out background wise, the nod goes to Brandon Meriweather, who the staff got to know at the Senior Bowl. Rice was tempting, but not sold on it.

Pick: S Brandon Meriweather, Miami

43. Buffalo Bills

After opting for DT earlier, they could look LB/CB/OL here potentially. The nod goes to LB and Paul Posluszny, with Crowell probably sliding to the middle. There’s likely going to be a good OL talent in the 3rd/4th range that could help soon. Rice garnered some consideration.

Pick: LB Paul Posluszny, Penn State

44. Atlanta

After adding a lead back earlier, they’ll likely go back looking at the lines. OL talent upgrade is needed, and Tony Ugoh or Arron Sears could draw consideration. The nod goes to Arron Sears, who grades higher for me and offers much needed size and some versatility.

Pick: OL Arron Sears, Tennessee

45. Carolina Panthers

After adding their QB of the future, they now focus on more immediate needs. Tanard Jackson might draw consideration at safety, a position he does project well to. There are several potential LB options, and a couple end options. WR talent could be added. I’m not sold on Jackson here, and I considered Crowder here for end, but not sold. Thus, I look WR or LB. The nod goes to Jon Beason, who is very versatile (which could help), and also plays bigger than his size. Sidney Rice is tempting, but not sold.

Pick: LB Jon Beason, Miami

46. Pittsburgh Steelers

After adding a corner, they could look for an edge talent, offensive line help, perhaps a WR. Guard value will likely be good till the 3rd/4th, so I wait on that for now. I’m looking WR/Edge here, and the nod goes to Sidney Rice as the tall, jump ball receiver to help Ben Rothlisberger. I like Rice, but if he doesn’t run a top 40 time, his weaknesses right now would get magnified. Plan B was Dan Bazuin.

Pick: WR Sidney Rice, South Carolina

47. Green Bay Packers

After adding a WR earlier, they could contemplate RB/S/CB here. Safety value is iffy, and CB is a depth move, so the nod goes to RB, where Lorenzo Booker could be an explosive talent that could excel in the scheme.

Pick: RB Lorenzo Booker, Florida State

48. Jacksonville Jaguars

After adding a DE earlier, they could look S/CB, and perhaps WR as well. Johnnie Lee Higgins could offer the explosiveness that is lacking with their current core, while perhaps offering a bit more consistency as well.

Pick: WR Johnnie Lee Higgins, UTEP

49. Cincinnati Bengals

After adding Landry earlier, CB could be a thought here. I think Eric Wright is the best talent, but they could be wary of the background. A lot of options exist, and a smooth athlete like Jonathan Wade could draw consideration here.

Pick: CB Jonathan Wade, Tennessee

50. Tennessee Titans

They added Ted Ginn Jr. earlier, which means most of the rest of the picks likely will go defense. They could use help almost everywhere. As promising as Cortland Finnegan is, they could probably use another talent there. It comes down to CB/DE here, and the nod goes to CB. Cortland Finngean is promising, but still an unknown, and Adam Jones can’t avoid trouble. If his background check is good, then Eric Wright gets the nod here. He’s a very complete corner, who talent wise, in my opinion, is one of the top 5 CB’s in the draft.

Pick: CB Eric Wright, UNLV

51. New York Giants

After adding a CB earlier, they could look LB/OL/RB. The belief here is that they will be fine going into the year giving Gerris Wilkinson a shot. They may grab a challenger, but it won’t be glaring. That leaves RB/OL, and the value of Tony Ugoh may be too good to pass up here.

Pick: OL Tony Ugoh, Arkansas

52. St. Louis Rams

After adding a DT earlier, they could look at MLB/DE/WR. The move here is to continue the improvement against the run with the selection of David Harris at MLB.

Pick: MLB David Harris, Michigan

53. Dallas Cowboys

They addressed the secondary earlier and now could look towards the OL/DL. Demarcus Tyler may be a gamble they take, as NT talent is hard to find, and they could use an improvement there.

Pick: NT Demarcus Tyler, NC State

54. Kansas City Chiefs

They added Staley earlier. While I think they could use more OL help, that’ll do for now. They could look WR/DT/LB. The nod here is to WR and Anthony Gonzalez … if he can run as well as some project. He was utilized as a possession target at Ohio State, but he does have the speed to be a big play threat. His “polish” might be attractive to them as well.

Pick: WR Anthony Gonzalez, the Ohio State

55. Seattle Seahawks

It’s a critical draft and offseason for Tim Ruskell because he has to add the necessary talent to help extend the window for the Seahawks chances as their core begins to age. They could use talent at a lot of places, ranging from OL to DL to DB and TE. The nod here goes to Ryan Kalil, as Chris Spencer can stay at guard.

Pick: C Ryan Kalil, Southern California

56. Denver Broncos

After selecting a DE earlier, they could look a number of directions. DT value seems iffy here. OL doesn’t seem necessary, and same goes for TE. I wonder about a move for a LB, but lean against that for now. Thus, I’m looking S and RB. If Antonio Pittman can run in the low 4.4’s, high 4.3’s, he might be off the board already. Safety talent was tempting, but safeties can be found, and the value is iffy here.

Pick: RB Antonio Pittman, the Ohio State

57. Philadelphia Eagles

After going DE earlier, they could go a couple directions here. Adding a LB might be a thought. S help would be nice as well. The nod here goes to Stewart Bradley, a big LB that runs well for his size and could be a consideration at MLB down the road.

Pick: LB Stewart Bradley, Nebraska

58. New Orleans Saints

After adding a key LB earlier, they could still look LB again. But that likely can wait. CB needs to upgraded, TE value is iffy, and DT value is iffy. The look here for now is at CB. The nod here, though, goes to Travarous Bain, whose top notch athleticism could lead to him rising up the boards a bit.

Pick: CB Travarous Bain, Hampton

59. New York Jets

After adding an edge talent and a CB earlier, where do they go? A big back is still needed, additional OL help could be considered, a TE is a thought, defensive line talent would be nice. The nod here goes to Brian Leonard, who very well could be off the board already, but I’m just not sure where.

Pick: RB Brian Leonard, Rutgers

60. New England Patriots

They added an ILB/WR earlier. They could look almost anywhere now. OL value and fit seems iffy, and that can likely wait. Had Brian Leonard fallen another spot, he would’ve garnered long consideration here, but without him, the backfield can likely wait. I’m looking edge talent or secondary, and the nod in the end goes to the secondary, where Michael Coe may have the requisite instincts and awareness to garner some contemplation here. He can play corner in the NFL, but he could also project some to safety.

Pick: DB Michael Coe, Alabama State

61. Baltimore Ravens

After adding a RB, they could look at a number of options. CB would draw some consideration here. Same goes for LB. OL help could get a look. WR can’t be ruled out. QB of the future deserves some consideration. The nod goes towards taking a gamble here, as Marcus McCauley’s toolset may have him on top of the board here. They’ve done well coaching up guys there with good tools.

Pick: CB Marcus McCauley, Fresno State

62. San Diego Chargers

After adding a WR earlier, they could look at OL/S here. There are some tempting OL options, but the nod here goes to Eric Weddle, who could help improve their secondary play.

Pick: DB Eric Weddle, Utah

63. Chicago Bears

They added a TE earlier. They could look at a number of options now. OL help is possible, a WR could draw consideration. DL depth could be added, as could LB talent. A safety is a thought, and CB depth can’t be ruled out. The nod here is to John Wendling shooting up the boards post-workouts and garnering consideration as a late 2nd/early 3rd grade, and being the type of guy that could be molded by this coaching staff.

Pick: S John Wendling, Wyoming

64. Tampa Bay Buccaneers f/ Indianapolis Colts

After adding a WR/DT, they could look OL, DE, LB, DB. The need for pass-rushing help has to rank highly, and the nod here goes to Dan Bazuin, who is an excellent athlete that could potentially go higher, and could very well excel in the scheme. Lamarr Woodley was tempting, but Bazuin’s upside is a bit better.

Pick: DE Dan Bazuin, Central Michigan

toonsterwu
02-21-2007, 04:44 PM
3rd Round

65. Oakland Raiders

They could look WR/RB/TE/LB/S here potentially. The nod here goes to Dwayne Wright as the big, between the tackles RB that can wear down opposing defenses and open up the vertical game.

Pick: RB Dwayne Wright, Fresno State

66. Detroit Lions

They took the falling Leon Hall earlier to go with Gaines Adams. That’s a lot of defensive help. The nod here now goes to the offensive side, where offensive line help would be nice. Someone like Andy Alleman could work his way here and be a guy that starts sooner, than later.

Pick: OL Andy Alleman, Akron

67. Cleveland Browns

They added Ikaika Alama-Francis to go with Marshawn Lynch earlier. They could look for offensive line help, defensive line help, and cornerback. The nod here goes to Tanard Jackson, who could have the instincts and awareness necessary. Background check will be big.

Pick: CB Tanard Jackson, Syracuse

68. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

They’ve added a DE to go with Mebane, and they got their WR earlier. Offensive line help could be sought here, along with LB/S considerations. The nod goes to Rufus Alexander as a talent that could fit well for the scheme.

Pick: LB Rufus Alexander, Oklahoma

69. Arizona Cardinals

They’ve down their usual job of adding some top names in Joe Thomas and Lawrence Timmons. They could look to the defensive line or safety here. The nod goes to Lamarr Woodley.

Pick: DE LaMarr Woodley, Michigan

70. Denver f/ Washington

They’ve added a RB/DE so far. The nod here turns to safety, where Michael Johnson’s upside could draw the nod.

Pick: S Michael Johnson, Arizona

71. Miami Dolphins

They added an edge talent to go along with a WR. They could look offensive line, QB, defensive line, and secondary here. A QB will likely be brought in to protect against Daunte Culpepper not regaining his former skill level. The nod here goes to Trent Edwards, who might end up going higher, and seems to be the type of QB that might intrigue Cam Cameron.

Pick: QB Trent Edwards, Stanford

72. Minnesota Vikings

A TE and a playmaking safety helps address some key areas, but they still could use a WR and maybe better pass rushing help, along with perhaps looking at the OL. The nod goes to WR, where Paul Williams tools may be too tempting to pass up.

Pick: WR Paul Williams, Fresno State

73. Houston Texans

They’ve added an impact safety and potential OL help. More OL help could be added, a QB could be looked at, a RB is a thought, WR help is warranted, pass rushing help would be nice, and CB depth could get consideration. In short … almost anything. The QB of the future has to be brought in at some point, and the belief here has always been that they’ve been looking at Kevin Kolb, just not sure where. There stands to be a good chance that Kolb, who has the tools to eventually be a stellar QB for the offense, is gone by their next pick, so the nod goes QB here.

Pick: QB Kevin Kolb, Houston

74. Buffalo Bills

They added a LB to go with the DT. CB could be a thought here, but offensive line value may be too good to pass up. The nod goes Justin Blalock, who is arguably the BPA.

Pick: OG Justin Blalock, Texas

75. Atlanta Falcons

Sears and Peterson help begin the process of reshaping this offense. They could use more OL help, defensive line help, perhaps a WR, and secondary help. If there’s DL help, I would think it would rank at the top of their charts, and the nod goes to Tim Crowder.

Pick: DE Tim Crowder, Texas

76. San Francisco 49ers

They Niners are hoping that Meriweather and Houston dramatically improve the secondary. What next? They could use edge help, DL help, and a WR. The nod goes to another guy they met at the Senior Bowl in Quentin Moses, who has taken a tumble.

Pick: OLB/DE Quentin Moses, Georgia

77. Pittsburgh Steelers

They’ve added Sidney Rice and Aaron Ross. Offensive line help, a big back, and edge help could be sought. The edge value seems iffy here, so I’m looking at Michael Bush or Manuel Ramirez. Michael Bush isn’t Jerome Bettis in any way shape or form, but he might draw some consideration here as a complement to Willie Parker if he works out well enough.

Pick: RB Michael Bush, Louisville

78. Green Bay Packers

A running back was added earlier to go with WR. This pick likely would go defense, with safety, cornerback, and potentially DL drawing considerations. A high potential safety like Marvin White could get the nod here.

Pick: S Marvin White, TCU

79. Jacksonville Jaguars

Johnnie Lee Higgins and Jamaal Anderson are two intriguing talents to start with. They could look CB or S here. Tough call here, but the nod goes to Dashon Goldson as a versatile defensive back. Kevin Payne was a thought.

Pick: S Dashon Goldson, Washington

80. Cincinnati Bengals – forfeited to get Ahmad Brooks

81. Tennessee Titans

They’ve gone CB and WR so far. They could look to a number of places. A TE might draw consideration. Defensive line help is much needed, inside and out. A LB and safety could also get some nods. The nod here goes to Antonio Johnson here as a DT to develop. That said, Robaire Smith and Haynesworth will decide if DT goes here, because if both come back, then DT isn’t likely, IMO.

Pick: DT Antonio Johnson, Mississippi State

82. New York Giants

They’ve added corner and OL so far. A RB and a playmaking LB to fight for PT could get some consideration. The nod here goes to Ahmad Bradshaw … if he can run the mid 4.4 time that some believe.

Pick: RB Ahmad Bradshaw, Marshall

83. St. Louis Rams

They’ve added DT/MLB. They could look for a pass rushing threat or a 3rd receiver here. The versatility and upside of Chansi Stuckey, and potential return help, gets the nod here.

Pick: WR Chansi Stuckey, Clemson

84. Carolina Panthers

After adding Quinn and Beason, they could look DE/S/TE and perhaps OL here. A WR could draw consideration as well. The nod goes to the defensive line, where an end like Jay Moore could fit the mold of talent they want at DE.

Pick: DE Jay Moore, Nebraska

85. Kansas City Chiefs

After adding OL help and a WR, they could still look at OL, perhaps DL, and perhaps LB. The nod here goes to Ryan McBean over Quinn Pitcock.

Pick: DT Ryan McBean, Oklahoma State

86. Seattle Seahawks

The Seahawks added interior OL help earlier. They could look TE, DL, DB here. It comes down to Eric Frampton or Scott Chandler. I think they could use someone a bit better in coverage than Frampton, so the nod goes to Chandler.

Pick: TE Scott Chandler, Iowa

87. Denver Broncos

They’ve added Charles Johnson, Antonio Pittman, and Michael Johnson so far. What’s next? A CB could be a thought. If there’s DT value, then they might look. Marcus Thomas has major questions, but his talent is so great that the feeling here is that someone will still gamble on him earlier than expected. The nod here goes to Denver taking that gamble with their 2nd 3rd rounder and hoping that he learns his lesson. If he did, it’s a potentially great steal.

Pick: DT Marcus Thomas, Florida

88. Dallas Cowboys

They’ve added a CB and a NT. While more defensive help could be sought, it’s likely this pick is on offense, and in particular, on the OL. The nod goes to the tough, but sound, Dustin Fry, who can play guard.

Pick: OL Dustin Fry, Clemson

89. New Orleans Saints

They’ve added CB and LB. Another CB could draw consideration. A DT could get a look. A pass catching TE is a thought. While I’m not big on Quinn Pitcock, he could be a solid value and fit here that’s worth considering. That said, the nod goes to Mason Crosby.

Pick: K Mason Crosby, Colorado

90. New York Jets

They added their big back complement (Brian Leonard), their CB (Daymeion Hughes), and an edge talent (Anthony Spencer). They could use more DL help, perhaps a big ILB, a TE, perhaps more OL help, and WR can’t be ruled out. The nod goes to Ray McDonald, who has taken a tumble, but could be an excellent 3-4 DE option.

Pick: DL Ray McDonald, Florida

91. Philadelphia Eagles

They keep their third in this iteration. They’ve added a big linebacker in Stewart Bradley and a defensive end in Victor Abiamiri. A safety could be sought, a NT could be an option, and TE depth could be looked for. A WR can’t be ruled out. The nod here goes to Eric Frampton as the option to challenge Sean Considine.

Pick: S Eric Frampton, Washington State

92. New England Patriots

They added Brandon Siler, Craig Davis, and Michael Coe so far. They could perhaps use an edge option to develop, more DL help could be a thought, OL could get a look, and another RB might be a consideration. The nod here goes to Brian Robison, who might be the type of guy that Belichick would like to mold for the OLB spot.

Pick: OLB/DE Brian Robison, Texas

93. Baltimore Ravens

They’ve gone RB and CB to start the show. What’s next? A QB could get consideration. LB depth could be sought. A WR could get a look, and so could offensive line. Debating a number of options, but I end up at QB, with Drew Stanton or Troy Smith. Back and forth, and the nod goes to Troy Smith this time around.

Pick: QB Troy Smith, the Ohio State

94. San Diego Chargers

They added a safety to go along with Dwayne Jarrett. They could look a number of directions here, but the offensive line could use more work. A big, physical tackle like Chase Johnson and James Marten, who I like a lot, could get the nod and slide Shane Olivea end, or they could go with a guard like Manuel Ramirez and keep Olivea outside. The nod goes to tackle here, and the option is the size of Chase Johnson over James Marten.

Pick: OT Chase Johnson, Wyoming

95. Chicago Bears

The Bears added Zach Miller and John Wendling. WR/OL/QB/LB/CB/DL could all get looks here. The nod goes to Earl Everett as a potential system fit and quality value.

Pick: LB Earl Everett, Florida

96. Indianapolis Colts

They added Justin Harrell earlier. They could look a lot of places here, OL/CB/LB/WR all as possibilities that come to mind. The nod here goes to David Irons as a polished player that could come in and help sooner than later.

Pick: CB David Irons, Auburn

toonsterwu
02-21-2007, 04:45 PM
4th Round

97. Oakland Raiders

The Raiders have added Dwayne Wright, Ben Grubbs, and Jamarcus Russell so far. What’s next? WR could draw some looks, as could safety, and perhaps linebacker. More OL help could be a thought. TE could be a possibility. The nod here goes to Ben Patrick.

Pick: TE Ben Patrick, Delaware

98. Detroit Lions

Gaines Adams, Leon Hall, Andy Alleman take care of some key needs. The nod here goes to Kenny Irons as a RB to protect against Kevin Jones perhaps being out.

Pick: RB Kenny Irons, Auburn

99. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Dan Bazuin and Brandon Mebane addressed the DL. Calvin Johnson added the much needed WR. Rufus Alexander added a potential top LB. What’s next? DB and OL help could be sought. But … with Drew Stanton on the board, I have to wonder if Jon Gruden takes a peek. Stanton has all the tools and has slipped a bit here, and he could be the project that Gruden desires.

Pick: QB Drew Stanton, Michigan State

100. Cleveland Browns

They added a CB in the last round, to go along with DL and RB help added earlier. They could use more DL help and perhaps OL help. The value of someone like Josh Beekman may be too good to pass up here.

Pick: OL Josh Beekman, Boston College

101. San Francisco 49ers f/ Washington Redskins

The Niners have added Houston and Meriweather for the secondary, and Quentin Moses as potential edge help. They could look at ILB, 3-4 DL, WR, and perhaps OL here. With additional 4th rounders, they may opt for the best value as well. The nod here is a gamble in the hopes that Kareem Brown reaches his potential.

Pick: DL Kareem Brown, Miami

102. Arizona Cardinals

They’ve done a good job at adding some quality names like Lamarr Woodley, Lawrence Timmons, and Joe Thomas. They could look for safety help here. The nod goes to CJ Gaddis as a potential free safety to pair with Adrian Wilson.

Pick: DB CJ Gaddis, Clemson

103. Minnesota Vikings

They’ve added Reggie Nelson, Greg Olsen, and Paul Williams. What’s next? Potentially, OL help. A talent like Marshall Yanda, who can project inside, might be an interesting fit, but the nod here goes to the big Manuel Ramirez.

Pick: OG Manuel Ramirez, Texas Tech

104. Houston Texans

They’ve added Levi Brown, Michael Griffin, and Kevin Kolb so far. What’s next? A RB will be a look at some point, and Brandon Jackson might end up going higher. Jackson is a guy that zone teams seem to be targeting, and if he’s here, I think they jump on it.

Pick: RB Brandon Jackson, Nebraska

105. Miami Dolphins

They’ve added Trent Edwards, Robert Meachem, and Jarvis Moss. They could look OL/DL/secondary. The guess here is OL, with Marshall Yanda’s OT potential.

Pick: OT Marshall Yanda, Iowa

106. Atlanta Falcons

They’ve added their lead back in Peterson, some offensive line help in Sears, and some defensive line help in Crowder. They could go any number of directions here, with OL/WR/DT/DB at the top. The nod is additional OL help with the big, physical James Marten, who can be a decent LT option.

Pick: OT James Marten, Boston College

107. San Francisco 49ers

The Niners have added Houston, Meriweather, Moses, Kareem Brown. What’s next? I lean WR here, with the nod going to Jason Hill. Last year, Hill might’ve garnered late first/early 2nd consideration, and he could be a steal here.

Pick: WR Jason Hill, Washington State

108. Buffalo Bills

They’ve added Blalock, Posluszny, and Okoye. What’s next? CB could be sought after, and Fred Bennett fell a bit and could get the nod here.

Pick: CB Fred Bennett, South Carolina

109. Green Bay Packers

They’ve added Bowe, Booker, and White. They could use CB depth here, maybe someone like AJ Davis.

Pick: CB AJ Davis, NC State

110. Jacksonville Jaguars

The Jacksonville Jaguars picked up Jamaal Anderson, Johnnie Lee Higgins, and Dashon Goldson to start. CB depth could be sought, but this pick could go a number of directions. I’ll lean corner and gambling on Tim Mixon here.

Pick: CB Tim Mixon, California

111. Cincinnati Bengals

They attempted to shore up the secondary with their first two picks in Laron Landry and Jonathan Wade. Perhaps a pass catching TE gets the nod here, someone like Martrez Milner, who I really like out of this year’s TE crop.

Pick: TE Martrez Milner, Georgia

112. Tennessee Titans

Wright, Ginn Jr., and Antonio Johnson meet some key needs. A defensive end could be looked at here, as could LB/S. The nod here goes to Tim Shaw, who I believe could potentially work as a middle linebacker for them, and offers a potential pass rusher in situational usage.

Pick: LB Tim Shaw, Penn State

113. New York Giants

The Giants added Wilson, Ugoh, and Bradshaw so far. What’s next? Perhaps a linebacker like Justin Durant, who could arguably go higher.

Pick: LB Justin Durant, Hampton

114. St. Louis Rams

Branch, Harris, and Stuckey address key areas. A pass rusher to add to the mix is still a possibility, and I wonder if Justin Hickman may get the nod here.

Pick: DE Justin Hickman, UCLA

115. Carolina Panthers

They’ve added Quinn, Beason, and Jay Moore. What’s next? They could look to safety, perhaps another LB, perhaps OL, perhaps WR, perhaps TE. The nod here goes to Kevin Payne.

Pick: S Kevin Payne, University of Louisiana-Monroe

116. Pittsburgh Steelers

They’ve added Rice, Ross, and Bush. They could use OL help and perhaps edge help. The nod here goes to Allen Barbre as a rising OG.

Pick: OG Allen Barbre, Missouri Southern State

117. Seattle Seahawks

The Seahawks went Kalil/Chandler earlier. They could use DL help, perhaps a RB, perhaps safety. Safety value is questionable, and the line needs likely can’t be met here. Thus, I look to a RB, where Darius Walker might have the versatility to excel in the scheme.

Pick: RB Darius Walker, Notre Dame

118. Denver Broncos

They took a gamble on Marcus Thomas earlier, and along with Charles Johnson, the DL could be upgraded. A safety like Michael Johnson adds options for them, and a RB like Pittman addresses a potential need. They could look a million and one directions here. The nod goes to adding offensive line depth with Purdue’s Mike Otto.

Pick: OL Mike Otto, Purdue

119. Dallas Cowboys

They’ve added Revis/Tyler/Fry, which addresses their key offseason concerns. What’s next? The nod goes to providing help on offense, with the addition of Aundrae Allison as an option for Tony Romo. Another OL is a consideration here.

Pick: WR Aundrae Allison, East Carolina

120. New Orleans Saints f/ Kansas City Chiefs

They’ve added Patrick Willis, Travarous Bain, and Mason Crosby. They could go with numerous options here, but the nod goes to Turk McBride as a potential impact DT.

Pick: DT Turk McBride, Tennessee

121. San Francisco 49ers f/ New York Jets

They’ve added Houston, Meriweather, Moses, Brown, and Hill. A number of options here. The nod goes to the bigger Zak DeOssie as someone to help suck up the junk inside.

Pick: LB Zak DeOssie, Brown

122. New Orleans Saints f/ Philadelphia Eagles

Willis/Bain/Crosby/McBride addresses some key areas. They could look another DT and perhaps a pass catching TE here. The nod goes to Whitworth’s Michael Allan making a rise here.

Pick: TE Michael Allan, Whitworth

123. New Orleans Saints

Btw, I do think that, with all these picks, New Orleans probably moves up to target someone. Anyhow, what’s next for the Saints? If Anthony Waters works out well enough, he could reclaim a value around here. He certainly has the top tier tools.

Pick: LB Anthony Waters, Clemson

124. New England Patriots

Siler, Davis, Coe, and Robison were the previous picks. They could look secondary here again. Additional OL help could be sought. If Doug Free is here, I think he might draw an inquisitive eye.

Pick: OT Doug Free, Northern Illinois

125. Tennessee Titans f/ Baltimore Ravens

Wright, Ginn Jr. Antonio Johnson, Tim Shaw addresses some key areas. They could look safety/DE here. Could Baraka Atkins get a look?

Pick: DL Baraka Atkins, Miami

126. San Diego Chargers

Jarrett, Weddle, and Chase Johnson all targeted needs. Now, they have a bit more flexibility with what they go after. I wonder if another safety could get a nod, someone like Piscitelli to pair with Weddle.

Pick: S Sabby Piscitelli, Oregon State

127. Chicago Bears

The Bears have added Zach Miller, John Wendling, and Earl Everett. Offensive line could garner consideration here. A QB value could get a look. The nod here goes to Adam Koets.

Pick: OT Adam Koets, Oregon State

128. Indianapolis Colts

After adding Harrell and Irons, they could perhaps look at LB/OL/WR here. The nod goes to Samson Satele to be groomed as an interior OL talent.

Pick: OL Samson Satele, Hawaii

PalmerToCJ
02-21-2007, 04:55 PM
That's the dream 1st round pick... He's exactly what our defense needs.

Round 2 CB is a must and I could see Wade happening so great pick there.

Round 4 I don't see happening though, our coaches have stated they want a TE that can already block and teach them how to catch. I'd rather see RB/OL/DL/S.

rchrd
02-21-2007, 04:59 PM
Interesting mock, nicely written up. I'd definitely take it from a Vikings perspective.

DBeebe82
02-21-2007, 05:02 PM
Love all four of the Bills picks. Dont mind Okoye and would love to grab poz ikn the second considering i believe he has last round one talent while getting blalock in the thrid and fred bennett are great values respectedly. Great mock for a bills fan that is for sure.

Only skimmed the rest of the mock other than Buffalo's picks and my only disagreement is Marshawn Lynch to the Browns. I can see them possibly trading down and grabbing him but selecting him with the thrid pick in the draft is an enormous reach.

Overall great mock!

'cuse-213
02-21-2007, 05:04 PM
very nice jets mock, good analysis!

asmitty45
02-21-2007, 05:05 PM
I think this draft is incredibly unrealistic, adn that there are some MAJOR reaches. But, that being said, I LOVE the Lions draft.

Gaines is great at 2.
There's NO WAY Leon hall falls into the second round but id love to have him there.
Id MUCH rather have Blalock, a first round talent, over Alleman, a 4th/5th round type talent.

BehrenMan007
02-21-2007, 05:06 PM
moss may be a reach but a solid pick. love the meachem pick and the edwards and yanda picks are good. B+ for miami.

Chucky
02-21-2007, 05:15 PM
I really dont think the bucs would pick a QB in the top four, even though stanton would be great value, also i think michael griffin would be a way better fit over mebane plus he fills a bigger need

toonsterwu
02-21-2007, 05:16 PM
I think this draft is incredibly unrealistic, adn that there are some MAJOR reaches. But, that being said, I LOVE the Lions draft.

Gaines is great at 2.
There's NO WAY Leon hall falls into the second round but id love to have him there.
Id MUCH rather have Blalock, a first round talent, over Alleman, a 4th/5th round type talent.

How is it unrealistic? I am, as always, projecting. How can there be reaches when the values are far from set. Which pick do you disagree with then.

If Hall runs the high 4.5 time/low 4.6 time that many are now saying, watch him tumble. Now, if he runs a 4.4 time, yes, then he'll be in the top mix. As for Blalock, I like Alleman overall as a guard better, and there's enough momentum right now with Alleman to be looked at as a 2nd/3rd round talent. Blalock isn't a first round talent. At best, 2nd.

toonsterwu
02-21-2007, 05:18 PM
I really dont think the bucs would pick a QB in the top four, even though stanton would be great value, also i think michael griffin would be a way better fit over mebane plus he fills a bigger need

I disagree in that, depth on the DL is much more significant, especially when the defense lacks a top notch 3-tech option. Safety help can be filled later or found. But certainly could go the other way.

toonsterwu
02-21-2007, 05:20 PM
Some of the key names left on board and short comments on why they are still around IMO.

DT Quinn Pitcock – Nearly had him in the 3rd, so this was a tough one. But he’s just not that great in any particular area. That said, he’ll be one guy that’s revisited at a later date.
CB Ryan Smith – Size, or the lack thereof.
WR David Clowney –Blazing speed could warrant higher nod, but just isn’t that good in, well, anything.
CB Kenny Scott – Could go higher, but deep corner class and the late season issue could hurt.
LB Buster Davis – Footspeed concerns.
CB Tarell Brown – Off-field concerns in a deep CB class could hurt him.
TE Matt Spaeth – Not really dynamic enough to warrant a definite nod earlier.
WR Steve Smith – Drops because of speed concerns
S Josh Gattis – Coverage concerns.
S Aaron Rouse – Can he cover well enough?
LB HB Blades – Undersized, and some speed concerns.
LB Jon Abbate – Undersized.

02-21-2007, 05:21 PM
Can the niners get just 1 WR?

toonsterwu
02-21-2007, 05:21 PM

They did - Jason Hill in the 4th.

RaiderNation
02-21-2007, 05:23 PM
really bad 2nd. we need a RT and C. we have 2 young G's allready

toonsterwu
02-21-2007, 05:25 PM
really bad 2nd. we need a RT and C. we have 2 young G's allready

I think McQuistan could go to RT. Boothe is there, and while Jake Grove didn't pan out as well as some expected at center, he could certainly stay at center with Grubbs slotting in at guard.

GermanSaint
1. :D
2. :(
3. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
4.1: :?
4.2: reach

PalmerToCJ

Gaines is great at 2.

How is it unrealistic? I am, as always, projecting. How can there be reaches when the values are far from set. Which pick do you disagree with then.

If Hall runs the high 4.5 time/low 4.6 time that many are now saying, watch him tumble. Now, if he runs a 4.4 time, yes, then he'll be in the top mix. As for Blalock, I like Alleman overall as a guard better, and there's enough momentum right now with Alleman to be looked at as a 2nd/3rd round talent. Blalock isn't a first round talent. At best, 2nd.

:lol: I love how people hate when someone goes against the norm. I wish we could see the reactions to the actual 2006 draft this time last year and see all the people laughing/complaining at Whitner to the Bills and the fall of Justice/Jimmy Williams and no Gabe Watson.

AZ9er
02-21-2007, 05:27 PM
Nice KC Draft.

I see staley moving up to the first round, and becomming a solid starter in a year or two. Nice long arms, good foot work, strong. I like it.

Tony G- I like it because he could go in and get 70 receptions without looking, nice a quiet, hard work, great hands, good speed. Good value esp when he will may run a sub 4.41 40 at the combine.

mcbean goood value in the 3rd

TOONSTER, what are the chances of KC addressing CB at all the first day?

toonsterwu
02-21-2007, 05:29 PM
1. :D
2. :(
3. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
4.1: :?
4.2: reach

Let's see - that's a plus on Willis, a frown on CB, an evil on K. There's 3 4th rounders, so I'm assuming it's a question mark on McBride and a reach on Michael Allan with a no comment on Waters?

I could see Bain moving up. He's going to run a top time and is a very fluid cover option. As for kicker, I understand the boos from the fans. A question mark on McBride mildly surprises me. It should be solid value at that point, and it adds a potential impact player inside, which would be nice. As for Allan, some are touting a sub 4.6 time for him. if he can run even a mid-4.6 time, that'll kick him up IMO.

toonsterwu
02-21-2007, 05:30 PM
Nice KC Draft.

I see staley moving up to the first round, and becomming a solid starter in a year or two. Nice long arms, good foot work, strong. I like it.

Tony G- I like it because he could go in and get 70 receptions without looking, nice a quiet, hard work, great hands, good speed. Good value esp when he will may run a sub 4.41 40 at the combine.

mcbean goood value in the 3rd

TOONSTER, what are the chances of KC addressing CB at all the first day?

I think they'll look KC but the issue is, they've got so many other needs to address that I'm not sold they can afford to look at it early. Of course, if they address needs in FA, that changes things, then. If they can land, say, a Kevin Curtis, then WR drops down. A Ian Scott could be a nice pairing inside and reduce the DT need. About the only thing I definitely think they'll look day 1 is OT.

princefielder28
02-21-2007, 05:31 PM
Not a big fan of Pack draft :cry:

toonsterwu
02-21-2007, 05:34 PM

Can you give me a reason why? Not that I didn't expect such a response ...

If the RB's are off ... that makes the move in round 1 likely WR or secondary, IMO, unless they opt for DL, which I still can't see at this moment. Safeties can be found, and Bowe is an ideal WR for the scheme and is a worthy value there.

In round 2, I guess I could've gone a number of directions. But Booker looks to be solidifying a 2nd round spot, and he could fit well in the scheme.

Marvin White could move up based on workouts, and AJ Davis is a nice looking corner to develop.

LB51
02-21-2007, 05:35 PM
Revis over Wilson in first, second is good, third we'd take Everette, fourth we'd take darius walker or lorenzo booker

02-21-2007, 05:37 PM

They did - Jason Hill in the 4th.
My bad. forgot to check our real pick. just saw the one from wash.

toonsterwu
02-21-2007, 05:39 PM
Revis over Wilson in first, second is good, third we'd take Everette, fourth we'd take darius walker or lorenzo booker

I can understand the sentiments about the first pick, but I think Wilson is a better fit for Spagnuolo and if he runs as well as expected, I think he could be solid value there. As necessary as LB might be ... I think they are going to give Wilkinson the chance to win the weakside spot, and that would push RB ahead. Booker went off the board in the 2nd round.

kwilliamsfa
02-21-2007, 06:16 PM
Pick: DE Charles Johnson, Georgia
Pick: RB Antonio Pittman, the Ohio State
Pick: S Michael Johnson, Arizona
Pick: DT Marcus Thomas, Florida

Interesting Denver draft. Quite a few "ifs" in there...

Thomas is intriguing - he has the potential to be really disruptive in the backfield and Denver *really* needs an impact player at this position. The DT pool falls off quickly after Branch/Okoye, so a gamble here makes a lot of sense.

Vikes99ej
02-21-2007, 06:17 PM
I would take the Vikings draft. I think we could maybe even go with Jarvis Moss with that pick, depending on his workout.

TNewFan41
02-21-2007, 06:19 PM
:D 2 THUMBS UP FOR cOWBOYS DRAFT!

draftguru151
02-21-2007, 06:26 PM
Love the Josh Wilson love. Good Miami draft, not so sure about Meachem lasting until round 2 because the training facility guy mentioned him as a 4.3 guy. Don't really like Yanda in round 4 because I don't see us taking another development guy after Toledo last year and Alabi the year before.

toonsterwu
02-21-2007, 06:35 PM
Love the Josh Wilson love. Good Miami draft, not so sure about Meachem lasting until round 2 because the training facility guy mentioned him as a 4.3 guy. Don't really like Yanda in round 4 because I don't see us taking another development guy after Toledo last year and Alabi the year before.

Have to admit, I forgot about Toledo. Albeit, Yanda might project better inside and could provide depth there.

As for Meachem ... if he runs a 4.3 time, then yes, he'd go much higher. But I'm starting to be highly doubtful of that. I think the best case scenario is a low 4.4 time. If he's around mid-4.4 or higher, I think he could be there for the Fins pick, as the limitations wuold be somewhat magnified.

portis_clinton
02-21-2007, 06:41 PM
Interesting with Carriker shooting to the 6th pick. Based on the projections of this mock, do you think he would be a reach at 6 for the Redskins, or would he shoot up most draftboards too?

JT Jag
02-21-2007, 06:46 PM
This is the worst of your drafts so far for the Jaguars.

Pure hits in the first two rounds, but I'm not at all thrilled with the 3rd or 4th rounders. The Jaguars shoot for potential starters the entire draft, not depth guys. It's why they're so stacked at nearly every position. I don't see those last two picks as anything else but backups.

jdcozart
02-21-2007, 06:50 PM
Wow. How many hours/days/weeks did you spend writing that. "A" for effort buddy.

draftguru151
02-21-2007, 06:57 PM
Wow. How many hours/days/weeks did you spend writing that. "A" for effort buddy.

That takes him like 5 minutes. Seriously.

toonsterwu
02-21-2007, 07:01 PM
Interesting with Carriker shooting to the 6th pick. Based on the projections of this mock, do you think he would be a reach at 6 for the Redskins, or would he shoot up most draftboards too?

I expect Carriker's value to be in that range.

toonsterwu
02-21-2007, 07:05 PM

Pure hits in the first two rounds, but I'm not at all thrilled with the 3rd or 4th rounders. The Jaguars shoot for potential starters the entire draft, not depth guys. It's why they're so stacked at nearly every position. I don't see those last two picks as anything else but backups.

I disagree. I think Goldson is a potential starting caliber safety. He's got good size/range and is strong in support. I think he's a case where, he moved to corner this past year, and people sort of forget about him. But 2 years ago, he had a very strong year at safety.

As for Tim Mixon, there's no doubting that he has the top tools. At that point in the draft, he's one of the few guys that have starting caliber potential. No, he's not a slam dunk, but at that point in the draft, few are. Reminds me a bit of Nathan Vasher coming out.

toonsterwu
02-21-2007, 07:05 PM

That takes him like 5 minutes. Seriously.

actually, this one was being worked on a little bit each day for a couple weeks. just never had the time to fully spend on it, otherwise I would've gotten it out sooner as well as a mock with trade.

ThePudge
02-21-2007, 07:08 PM
One of the few mock makers that still interests me. You do a great job at mixing things up and keeping all of your options open.

I won't comment so much on the Bengals draft, as I see at as very solid, but kind of odd that we take 3 SEC guys from 3 different schools. Not a bad thing, just interesting. I, like the other Bengals fan, am not a big fan of Milner, but I see great potential there and it's not like he'd be forced into action right away (assuming Kelly and Stewart are resigned). I'll take it. I like the fit with Wade in the second and he's a guy I like as a sleeper to raise his stock at least a round or two at the Combine with his track star speed and athleticism, let's just hope he measures in at 5'10 at the Combine. No complaints with Landry in the first round.

The draft as a whole is very solid, but there are some shaky things that you decided tho throw in there.

I still find it hard on the eyes to see Gaines Adams the #2 pick as I see the value not being all there. It makes sense, don't get me wrong, but you have the 2nd pick in the draft, picking a second tier player that early, with a Franchise LT and Franchise QB on the board, just seems a bit, well, dumb...especially considering the depth of the DE class in this draft that will likely send a guy like Victor Abiamiri or Anthony Spencer sliding to them in the 2nd. I see the logic, I just think when you have the #2 pick in the draft that you should be grabbing a top-tier player. Logic says that a trade down would be great, but logic also tells us that that is highly unlikely as it's a very high price to pay for a team trying to move up. The team I'd keep an eye on though, is the Arizona Cardinals, in search of hopping Cleveland and Tampa Bay to get Joe Thomas. The Cardinals are a team that don't have too many glaring holes and may be a player or two away from being the next Cincinnati Bengals story.

As for the third pick, I simply don't agree with it. If Peterson checks out poorly at the Combine and is proven to be an injury-prone guy that will have problems staying healthy, and carrying the load at the next level, it will make a little more sense. Rumors have told us that Lynch may be sliding now. Though I don't completely buy that and it's probably likely you or one of your buddies have done the same thing he did, it's really not a big deal and I still consider him more of a high character guy than a problem. I still see him peaking at #8 to the Texans. He has an excellent all around game and has been a durable back, but he's never been a playing like Adrian Peterson, who could take 30 carries in a game, still break the big run and not wear down, and do it the next week. I think the Browns need that kind of guy, someone to carry the offense, not so much a 17 carry, 3 receptions, etc, type of a guy.

I like the fact that someone is showing balls around here though and your pick at #6 shows that as well. Not only did Carriker light it up at the Senior Bowl, he should have a big Combine too. He has the ability to move inside on passing downs as well if needed there and I see him as a pretty good fit down there in Washington.

I also like the guts you showed at #9 with Miami, though I personally think it's between Brady Quinn and Alan Branch there. The team needs a face on offense and a true leader, Quinn has been a leader and is a Franchise QB prospect. I, personally, like him more than Russell and have him at #2 on my big board. He's a pro ready player, though he does remind you of Eli Manning at times in the sense that he gets happy feet and makes some erratic decisions under pressure. As for Alan Branch, I think he's just a dominating prospect as a 3-4 DE and it may ultimately be his best fit. As for Moss, if he can show at the Combine that he can cover, I can see him with a Top 10-15 draft stock, though right now I have him between 15 and 25.

I love Chris Houston and I can see this. I see him as a fourth option for you there at #9. I think he could easily be this year's Donte Whitner story, Second Round prospect to start ending up in the Top 10-15. I already have him as the #1 CB on my board and ranked 18 overall.

I can see Ross in Pittsburgh as they seem to like the bigger corners due to their defensive system. I am not a big Aaron Ross fan, but I like the fit and the player is growing on me. I'd say a bit of a reach right now, though some may disagree.

I think Josh Wilson could rise too, though I am not so sure it'd be that high. I believe I had this same pick in an earlier mock draft of mine, but then looked at him a bit closer. A 5'9 corner with terrific speed, but I don't see anything incredible. He's smart, he's tough, but I'd still give the edge to Revis. I think Revis runs in the 4.43-4.48 range, which isn't nearly as fast as Wilson, but Revis proved he was a true playmaker as a corner and PR in college. I'm not saying it can't happen, and I'm not saying it won't. I, too, see him rising due to showing off his speed and athleticism at the Combine... but in a crowded Corner class, especially in that Late First-Mid Second round range, I don't see him impressing enough to overcome his lack of size. He wasn't spectacular at the Senior Bowl, though he had a decent week. Some say his speed is exaggerated.

I don't know about Abiamiri to the Eagles. With Kearse, Howard, Cole, and Thomas, I don't see DE that big of a need. Abiamiri is not necessarily a bad value there, and as for alternate picks, my only suggestion at this point would be Brandon Meriweather, Lawrence Timmons, Jon Beason, or Paul Posluszny. However, the Eagles aren't known for drafting questionable characters and the team has some young LB's already, though none very good. It's a strange pick there at 26. The team can afford to trade up or down, something Andy Reid is not shy at all about doing.

I see the Baltimore pick as questionable, but if Hunt can show more athleticism and speed at the Combine than he gets credit for, I won't put it past them.

Briggs will only be in Chicago for likely one more year, as he's going to quickly find himself as one of the highest paid LB's in the league, as well as Urlacher. That being said, I think the slightly better value is at LB with Timmons, Posluszny, or Beason. Take your pick there. Timmons and Beason are both a bit more raw than Posluszny and could use that extra year to develop their game before stepping in in 2008. Beason and Posluszny are the two best fits at WLB, which is Briggs' spot, though Timmons could be groomed to play it. Posluszny is the smartest and most experienced of the bunch. It all would depend on what Chicago wants to do there. I just don't see a First Round Tight End this year.

Of course, I have a lot more to say, my eyes just hurt from staring at the screen right now. I'll be back to talk some more though. Once again, great job mixing things up. Your Mock Drafts are the only ones I consistently read and you're not afraid to show some balls and make the unpopular pick, or make that reach, or predict the future a little bit (Combine).

BUSTKUNTLAWL
02-21-2007, 07:09 PM
Lynch #3?

I highly doubt it.

I don't like the Bears taking Miller in the first either.. The rest of the picks are solid.

Damix
02-21-2007, 07:09 PM
Interesting Giants picks, different but I like it

Matthew Jones
02-21-2007, 07:19 PM
Eh, the Patriots mock was decent, I guess. There was the potential to have a great one. First round could've been Willis/Jarrett, Weddle in the second, David Irons in the third, and then Free. That addresses all of New England's big needs with productive players.

toonsterwu
02-21-2007, 07:23 PM
Thanks for the comments, the Pudge.

Lions, Gaines Adams, Cardinals - I'm not sure what you mean by 2nd tier player? I think Gaines Adams will be a tremendous end in the league, and while he isn't an elite player for me (only Russell/CJ are), I think he's in that next tier. Furthermore, with the recent Hall move, a DE shoots up as a top priority. I'll grant that it was close. I was never a big fan of Joe Thomas as an elite tackle (very good, yes). But the hole at end is much more glaring than OT. This was a no-trade mock ... but even if it wasn't, I'm not sure who deals up? People talk about Arizona, but they hired a very good OL guy, and I'm not sold they would sell up, as it would take their 1st/2nd and at least a 2nd next year, if not more, unless Detroit undersells. Furthermore, Levi Brown is getting close to top 5 consideration (he's 10 for me right now in terms of overall grade). I also believe that Cardinals need to revitalize their defensive line (they could use an end), add a safety, add a playmaking linebacker, and address some depth concerns. In short, I'm not sure that moving up would make sense. That said, it's early, and we'll have to see what happens in the offseason.

Lynch, Peterson, Cleveland - I understand the complaint there, and I could fully see Peterson there. Here's the thing that made me jump Lynch in this final iteration. There's a growing belief that his 4.3 time is very legit, and that's home run speed. People forget that he had a nagging ankle injury, and while that is a "durability" concern, he has a running style that, outside of a freak injury, projects to make him a very durable back. He's a well-rounded, explosive low to the ground back. I think he is a very capable 20-25 carry a game back that can consistently be explosive and make the big plays. THe main reason I lean away from Peterson and Cleveland comes down to this: btoh are excellent backs, but can they afford to draft someone that, based on similar backs, is liable to start breaking down in 4-5 years? They may very well be willing to do that, but as of now, I lean against it. Truth to be told, there does seem to be a growing opinion that they are bluffing about RB early ... so we'll have to see how that plays out.

Revis, Wilson, and the Giants - If Revis can run a mid-4.4 time, he would get the nod there. But while a high 4.4/low 4.5 time isn't bad, I'm not sure if that would be enough to entice a Giants team that needs guys that can man up on the edges.

Eagles - I could definitely see them making a move on draft day with their first rounder. I just can't see safety there as of now, unless they are drafting with the idea of replacing Brian Dawkins in the near future. None of the safeties there have the requisite size that they prefer for their strong safeties. While LB was a strong thought, history led me against that, but also because they need to add size. Eagles are a definitely a tough figure at this early stage.

Hunt, Ravens - Certainly, that's a questionable call. If he can run in the mid-4.5's, I think he has the value there to warrant the nod. If he runs high 4.5's or more, then no, I would've gone another route.

Bears - I will start with that I think Beason is very comparable to Briggs. Versatile guys that can play inside and out. That said, with Briggs back and Jamar Williams healthy, I just can't see a LB there. There's enough depth at LB to find some competition later.

toonsterwu
02-21-2007, 07:26 PM
Lynch #3?

I highly doubt it.

I don't like the Bears taking Miller in the first either.. The rest of the picks are solid.

As noted, I am projecting a bit. There's a growing belief in the 4.3 time for Lynch, and if that's the case, watch him move up. As I noted, in 2000, Jamal Lewis was trailing Thomas Jones for much of the draft season. In 2001, LaDainian Tomlinson was trailing Deuce McAllister for much of the draft season. Strong workouts pushed Lewis and Tomlinson ahead. Lynch and Peterson have fairly close grades right now, and if Lynch can push out a 4.3 time, I could see him going higher.

That said, if he doesn't run the 4.3ish time, then there's no shot of that. ANd if the Browns are willing to gamble on Peterson, then they could go there. Or they could go Joe Thomas. It's early.

Cwood8899
02-21-2007, 07:27 PM
1) :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(
2) :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(
3):( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(
4) :)

toonsterwu
02-21-2007, 07:27 PM

As for my Bears, I don't see LB early with Briggs back, and if the rumors are correct and we sign an OL guy, I don't see us drafting a guy that has no shot to start in year 1 barring injury. That leaves a receiving option (WR or TE) and safety as the top bets. I think TE is more likely than WR as Desmond CLark is older and his contract ends after 2008. S is possible, but I leaned TE there. I don't like it either, but I think it's possible.

toonsterwu
02-21-2007, 07:31 PM
Eh, the Patriots mock was decent, I guess. There was the potential to have a great one. First round could've been Willis/Jarrett, Weddle in the second, David Irons in the third, and then Free. That addresses all of New England's big needs with productive players.

I think Siler is a better ILB fit than Willis anyways, but the reason people are doubting him resolves around his 40 time. Willis lacks the coverage ability to really be anything more than a more athletic Ted Johnson for the scheme ... is that harsh? Perhaps. And maybe he develops his coverage ability, but do they take that gamble? I don't see it as of now. I think Davis is a better WR fit than Jarrett and has much better upside. But we've had this discussion before, or a close variant to it. I think Coe is better than Weddle as both a corner and a safety option, but sure, I could see Weddle there. With the improvement of James Sanders down the stretch, I just think safety is not as important as adding depth to the CB spot. Just not sold on the fit either. I think they'll look for an edge guy at some point.

toonsterwu
02-21-2007, 07:36 PM
1) :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(
2) :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(
3):( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(
4) :)

I'm assuming you are a Browns fan. Leaving the Lynch move alone for a second, what don't you like about Ikaika Alama-Francis and Tanard Jackson? There's no doubt that DL and CB are potential areas to address. Tanard Jackson has the instincts and skillset to potentially excel at the spot and IMO is solid value there in the early 3rd right now anyways. Alama-Francis has top end tools and could move his way up based on the postseason. If the numbers are true and he's a 6'5" 290 pounder that runs in the low 4.8 range, that's freakish potential and a potential dominant 3-4 DL fit.

Philliez01
02-21-2007, 07:43 PM
I love the 4th-round pick in Samson Satele, I actually think with Saturday slowly getting up there in age that Satele could be a future C. Granted, Saturday hasn't exactly slowed down neither. I'm willing to bet Dylan Gandy cracks the starting OL at the expense of Lilja, but that essentially leaves the untested Ullrich and perhaps Toudouze as the only depth. Satele easily upgrades that.

David Irons would definitely work for me. Here's something I want to ask you for my own curiousity. With Dexter Reid being released, the Colts only have Matt Giordano as a backup S. The depth there is thin, do you think that they go after a S of some sort in Round 3? Just curious there.

Love Harrell so I can't say much after that.

Oh yeah, great job as always :!:

toonsterwu
02-21-2007, 07:45 PM
I could see them looking at safety potentially. Depends on how the offseason goes. But I think Marlin Jackson provides a depth option for safety, which is why I personally wouldn't think of it as a focus with their 2nd day 1 pick. But that's me.

djmakaveli
02-21-2007, 07:51 PM
solid denver draft

SDSupaChargers
02-21-2007, 07:53 PM
Interesting mock. I like a lot of the picks, but not sure I agree with some of your first rounders, but very interesting nonetheless. Pretty nice chargers picks. Drafting two safeties, especially with Weddle's ability to play corner is definitely a possibility. What about ILB at some point though?

toonsterwu
02-21-2007, 07:58 PM
Interesting mock. I like a lot of the picks, but not sure I agree with some of your first rounders, but very interesting nonetheless. Pretty nice chargers picks. Drafting two safeties, especially with Weddle's ability to play corner is definitely a possibility. What about ILB at some point though?

I tend to think that they are pleased enough with Cooper/Wilhelm/Dobbins that it wouldn't be a top concern unless there is immense value, but certainly in the 4th round, it might be an option.

thule
02-21-2007, 08:07 PM
Just got a general question for you. Does what part of the game to Revis excel at. In all honesty I have a feeling Ross or McCauley are the two best fits for Phillips defense. Revis is such a question mark for me. He is clearly top tier in this draft...but I'm not sure exact what type of corner he is slated in to be. BTW don't jump on me for the McCauley thing...me and you are actually pretty close on how we see him. I wouldn't touch him before the late second...and I believe you said you might take him on the first day. But McCauley can man up and play with anyone on the LOS. We all know how draft positions are affected by upside. I just think with a strong pro-day someone will bite. I mean hell Matt Jones went in the first round. Antonio Cromartie went in the first round (although on a completely different level then McCauley imo). I guess I just have McCauley as a darkhorse at this point...and could easily see him fitting into Phillips scheme.

SFbear
02-21-2007, 08:11 PM
Youve mentioned Tank Tyler for the Bears in the first if he falls that far. In case he doesnt do you not see us addressing NT in the first four picks at all even if Scott and Boone leave.

toonsterwu
02-21-2007, 08:15 PM
Just got a general question for you. Does what part of the game to Revis excel at. In all honesty I have a feeling Ross or McCauley are the two best fits for Phillips defense. Revis is such a question mark for me. He is clearly top tier in this draft...but I'm not sure exact what type of corner he is slated in to be. BTW don't jump on me for the McCauley thing...me and you are actually pretty close on how we see him. I wouldn't touch him before the late second...and I believe you said you might take him on the first day. But McCauley can man up and play with anyone on the LOS. We all know how draft positions are affected by upside. I just think with a strong pro-day someone will bite. I mean hell Matt Jones went in the first round. Antonio Cromartie went in the first round (although on a completely different level then McCauley imo). I guess I just have McCauley as a darkhorse at this point...and could easily see him fitting into Phillips scheme.

I can see someone gambling on McCauley in round 1. personally, I wouldn't, as you remembered, touch him until the 3rd, but that's me. I ended up having him go 2nd round.

The conundrum with Revis is his speed. I would argue that he has football speed, but I'm not sold on straight line speed. I think he could play in man or zone schemes, but he might never be a star lead corner if asked to play man consistently, but I think he could do a solid job at it. I think he's a solid press cover potential type, but how good, I'm not certain. A good mid-4.4 time would certainly go a long way in changing some perceptions about him.

Btw, I think Chris Houston fits for Dallas as he plays physical. I agree on the Ross fit.

toonsterwu
02-21-2007, 08:18 PM
Youve mentioned Tank Tyler for the Bears in the first if he falls that far. In case he doesnt do you not see us addressing NT in the first four picks at all even if Scott and Boone leave.

I just don't believe Tank Tyler has value at 31 right now. I expect Scott and Boone to both leave, and I expect we'll look at adding a DT, but sometime in day 2. Now, if Tank Johnson is out, then that would kick DT up several notches, but with Tommie, Tank, and Dusty, even though all three have issues of some sort (harris coming off injury, Tank being, well, Tank, and Dusty coming off injury), I'm not certain that it's a top need. I guess I could see us looking that way in the 3rd/4th, and maybe someone like Quinn Pitcock would end up being an option as I have him around in the 4th.

cunningham06
02-21-2007, 08:23 PM
Don't like Levi Brown to the Texans in round one. Charles Spencer was very good for us when he was in last season, and should be back for this season despite what some reports say. He is our LT and we are probably going to stick with Eric Winston for a few more seasons to see what he's got. If we took Levi we would probably play him at RT.

For the Eagles, I'm not a fan of going DE in round one. DE is a need, but could be well addressed in the second round because there would still be value there. If we don't take Willis there then we would most likely take Michael Griffin.

bucknut12
02-21-2007, 08:25 PM
Good draft except I would like Medlock the kicker from UCLA over Crosby. He's overrated.

toonsterwu
02-21-2007, 08:34 PM
Don't like Levi Brown to the Texans in round one. Charles Spencer was very good for us when he was in last season, and should be back for this season despite what some reports say. He is our LT and we are probably going to stick with Eric Winston for a few more seasons to see what he's got. If we took Levi we would probably play him at RT.

For the Eagles, I'm not a fan of going DE in round one. DE is a need, but could be well addressed in the second round because there would still be value there. If we don't take Willis there then we would most likely take Michael Griffin.

Well, a healthy Spencer would change perceptions. Personally, I would go RB there, whoever is available, and one would be. But there seems to be a growing lean that OL would be considered, which is why I opted for Brown, who is considered of value there. That said, Brown is, if coached up, a better LT fit than Spencer, and there was talk of sliding Winston inside to guard. We'll have to see how things play out this offseason.

As for the Eagles, I don't see Michael Griffin as a fit for the strong safety spot for them. Maybe I'm wrong and they are amenable to adjusting their usage of their strong safeties, but I don't see Griffin. If they were considering drafting to find a replacement for Brian Dawkins, then I could see Griffin, but I don't think they are looking for Dawkins replacement there. As for Willis, do they take a 2-down backer when they could easily add someone like a Bradley/Harris later, both of whom do as good a job in run support, and Bradley having the versatility to slide outside? But who knows. We'll have to see. They do seem focused on getting bigger on the DL. A NT would be nice, but that might have to be addressed through FA. Stouter defensive ends could be used as well. It's early.

toonsterwu
02-21-2007, 08:35 PM
Good draft except I would like Medlock the kicker from UCLA over Crosby. He's overrated.

I certainly wouldn't take Medlock day 1. I agree that Crosby is a bit overrated (I don't see him as a 2nd round value, although someone could take him late 2nd I think if they fear missing him). That said, I think he (Crosby) is a deserving day 1 selection.

etk
02-21-2007, 08:38 PM
That's not a conventional mock, but good for the Bucs up until the Drew Stanton pick. People who aren't Bucs fans don't understand how we don't need/have room for another QB.

bucknut12
02-21-2007, 08:39 PM

I certainly wouldn't take Medlock day 1. I agree that Crosby is a bit overrated (I don't see him as a 2nd round value, although someone could take him late 2nd I think if they fear missing him). That said, I think he (Crosby) is a deserving day 1 selection.Did you see him compete in Miami?

He was horrible. It looked like all his kicks were helped by the altitude in Colorado.

toonsterwu
02-21-2007, 08:48 PM
That's not a conventional mock, but good for the Bucs up until the Drew Stanton pick. People who aren't Bucs fans don't understand how we don't need/have room for another QB.

I like Gradkowski, but his star has certainly fallen withiin the Bucs world and he faces an uphill climb next year. I don't think anyone expects Chris Simms to be the long term answer for Gruden, and Luke McCown is more of a backup type. So yes, while QB isn't a pressing need, I think if there's someone of value, and Stanton is good value in the 4th, I think they would consider it.

toonsterwu
02-21-2007, 08:51 PM

I certainly wouldn't take Medlock day 1. I agree that Crosby is a bit overrated (I don't see him as a 2nd round value, although someone could take him late 2nd I think if they fear missing him). That said, I think he (Crosby) is a deserving day 1 selection.Did you see him compete in Miami?

He was horrible. It looked like all his kicks were helped by the altitude in Colorado.

I'm assuming Miami would be the All-Star competition, which I didn't see. But, while he did have a down year missing 9 kicks, 7 were 50 yards or more. I think his leg strength is legitimate, and he needs some technique brush up. It's possible he is in day 1, but I can still see him in day 1.

bucknut12
02-21-2007, 08:54 PM
The Bucs need a QB

Simms=Career backup

Gradkowski=Career backup

Beans
02-21-2007, 08:56 PM
Ahhh, toon... you had a great Bucs mock going, but then you ruined it with Stanton. Fo' shame.

doingthisinsteadofwork
02-21-2007, 08:59 PM
Kalil is much more likely in the 2nd round.Oakland needs a C badly.Hes a good fit for the ZBS.Kiffen coached him at USC.G really isnt a need on the Oline.Oakland drafted Boothe and McQuistan last year.Boothe played pretty dang well by the end of the season and was the only bright spot on Oaklands Oline.McQUistan is still developing.THe only way Oakland goes G is if they wanna move McQUistan out to RT.But then they could just as easily move Grove to LG where he played well during the last ZBS we had.
Good 3rd and 4th round picks though.assuming Oakland doesnt go AD in the 1st.

KILLERSANTA
02-21-2007, 09:49 PM
First round :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D who cares about the other rounds..I love the first round for dallas.......

LocCsta
02-21-2007, 10:22 PM
I respect your mock, but where is Desmond Bishop?

toonsterwu
02-21-2007, 10:34 PM
1. Oakland - I guess I had always thought Paul McQuistan would be moved to RT, and while Grove isn't great as a center, I think the value of Grubbs is better than Kalil. But if McQuistan ends up staying inside, then I wouldn't take Grubbs.

2. Desmond Bishop - Like him, and could very well get consideration in the 4th round by some teams. But just lacks the top speed to make him a lock to go in the top 4 rounds, IMO, but he could prove us wrong.

JT Jag
02-21-2007, 10:43 PM

Pure hits in the first two rounds, but I'm not at all thrilled with the 3rd or 4th rounders. The Jaguars shoot for potential starters the entire draft, not depth guys. It's why they're so stacked at nearly every position. I don't see those last two picks as anything else but backups.I disagree. I think Goldson is a potential starting caliber safety. He's got good size/range and is strong in support. I think he's a case where, he moved to corner this past year, and people sort of forget about him. But 2 years ago, he had a very strong year at safety.

As for Tim Mixon, there's no doubting that he has the top tools. At that point in the draft, he's one of the few guys that have starting caliber potential. No, he's not a slam dunk, but at that point in the draft, few are. Reminds me a bit of Nathan Vasher coming out.Good points. Most Jaguars fans think that getting quality depth at linebacker and developing a future replacement to Mike Peterson is a higher priority then drafting another cornerback. There are several quality options at linebacker at the Jaguars' 4th-round slot, like Justin Hampton, Anthony Waters, Stephen Nicholas or Zak DeOssie.

Pit Bull #53
02-21-2007, 10:50 PM
Do you think Craig Davis will crack rd 1 if he runs well? I've been long hoping that he would be around at our pick in the 2nd, but that is seeming less and less likely. I think he has elite potential.

Anyway, I like the Titans draft alright, even though I'm not crazy about Ginn, I could definately see teams (maybe us) thinking that his potential is too great to pass up.

I love Eric Wright as a player, but hopefully his character concerns check out fully. Starting to get a bit sick of the off the field (and on the field in Haynesworth's case) crap some of our players are getting in to.

JT Jag
02-21-2007, 10:51 PM
Do you think Craig Davis will crack rd 1 if he runs well? I've been long hoping that he would be around at our pick in the 2nd, but that is seeming less and less likely. I think he has elite potential.He's EXPECTED to run a 4.4 or less 40. I don't see why it would increase his stock so much.

Only so many WRs can be taken in the first round.

mpindo3
02-21-2007, 11:20 PM
i absolutely despise the jarrett pick, but other than that i love the carolina and san diego drafts. wendling & piscitelli would be a great 1/2 punch at ss/fs.

diabsoule
02-21-2007, 11:39 PM
Patrick Willis, Anthony Waters, and Mason Crosby are dream guys for the Saints. I really like both Willis and Waters and think that they would make and outstanding addition to the Saints D.

I was hoping Ben Patrick would fall to us but that didn't happen. I don't know much about Bain or Allan and I haven't formed an opinion on McBride.

toonsterwu
02-21-2007, 11:46 PM
Do you think Craig Davis will crack rd 1 if he runs well? I've been long hoping that he would be around at our pick in the 2nd, but that is seeming less and less likely. I think he has elite potential.

Anyway, I like the Titans draft alright, even though I'm not crazy about Ginn, I could definately see teams (maybe us) thinking that his potential is too great to pass up.

I love Eric Wright as a player, but hopefully his character concerns check out fully. Starting to get a bit sick of the off the field (and on the field in Haynesworth's case) crap some of our players are getting in to.

I think a sub 4.4 time, which is rumored to be possible, could push Davis up into round 1. He's early-mid round 2 for me right now, but I am expecting a good time pushing him up to be a solid late first grade. We'll see what happens.

toonsterwu
02-21-2007, 11:48 PM
i absolutely despise the jarrett pick, but other than that i love the carolina and san diego drafts. wendling & piscitelli would be a great 1/2 punch at ss/fs.

Um, I had Weddle/Piscitelli, not Wendling.

doingthisinsteadofwork
02-22-2007, 12:39 AM
1. Oakland - I guess I had always thought Paul McQuistan would be moved to RT, and while Grove isn't great as a center, I think the value of Grubbs is better than Kalil. But if McQuistan ends up staying inside, then I wouldn't take Grubbs.

2. Desmond Bishop - Like him, and could very well get consideration in the 4th round by some teams. But just lacks the top speed to make him a lock to go in the top 4 rounds, IMO, but he could prove us wrong.thats also what they said about Kirk Morrison.

toonsterwu
02-22-2007, 12:41 AM
True, so I wouldn't be surprised with Bishop going higher. I just don't think it's a certainty, and as of now, I have him on the outside looking in. There's a lot of linebackers with good tools this year, and that may end up hurting him some. But who knows. All it takes is one team.

themaninblack
02-22-2007, 12:45 AM
Bengals draft is solid. I like Milner in the 4th even though were supposedly so against drafting a pass catching TE. Milner is a decent blocker and last year he was second team all SEC while being on the same team as Leonard Pope.

Romyrick
02-22-2007, 05:41 AM
Props for the effort this must have taken. Very thorough, and you explained your picks well, so great job there.

As far as the picks themselves for the 49ers, if the draft were to go down tomorrow I think I and every other SF fan would be flat out enraged with the first two picks, no two ways about it. Houston is a guy who could rise, and I understand you're doing this based on your predictions for what will happen to his stock in the upcoming months. But nevertheless, I think you're vastly underrating SF's need in the front 7. Make no mistake, the biggest problem with the 49ers' pass D last year was the pass rush, not the coverage. Given that, and Bryant Young's age, there's no way SF passes on Alan Branch to play DE if the first ten picks go down like that.

In the second round, I'm torn between two Nolan-isms. For one, it's a pretty well known fact that he likes Miami guys. He just thinks they are well prepared to be pros, and why wouldn't he after coaching Ed Reed and Ray Lewis in Baltimore. But Nolan has also avoided drafting players with major character issues like the plague in his first two years in charge. Seriously, name me one player drafted by SF in the past two years who has been dogged by even a hint of off-field trouble. There just really isn't any precedent for it, because I think Nolan's biggest fear is fielding a team like the Bengals-- talented but not trustworthy to stay out of trouble. So given Merriweather's gun and on field fight issues, I doubt he'd be a pick Nolan would go for here.

As for the rest of SF's draft, I've got no real problems with it. I especially like the Jason Hill, Quentin Moses, and Kareem Brown picks.

toonsterwu
02-22-2007, 06:04 AM
Props for the effort this must have taken. Very thorough, and you explained your picks well, so great job there.

As far as the picks themselves for the 49ers, if the draft were to go down tomorrow I think I and every other SF fan would be flat out enraged with the first two picks, no two ways about it. Houston is a guy who could rise, and I understand you're doing this based on your predictions for what will happen to his stock in the upcoming months. But nevertheless, I think you're vastly underrating SF's need in the front 7. Make no mistake, the biggest problem with the 49ers' pass D last year was the pass rush, not the coverage. Given that, and Bryant Young's age, there's no way SF passes on Alan Branch to play DE if the first ten picks go down like that.

In the second round, I'm torn between two Nolan-isms. For one, it's a pretty well known fact that he likes Miami guys. He just thinks they are well prepared to be pros, and why wouldn't he after coaching Ed Reed and Ray Lewis in Baltimore. But Nolan has also avoided drafting players with major character issues like the plague in his first two years in charge. Seriously, name me one player drafted by SF in the past two years who has been dogged by even a hint of off-field trouble. There just really isn't any precedent for it, because I think Nolan's biggest fear is fielding a team like the Bengals-- talented but not trustworthy to stay out of trouble. So given Merriweather's gun and on field fight issues, I doubt he'd be a pick Nolan would go for here.

As for the rest of SF's draft, I've got no real problems with it. I especially like the Jason Hill, Quentin Moses, and Kareem Brown picks.

On Meriweather - I agree. If the background check comes out poorly, then he's not likely to be an option. I'm not sure the gun issue is as significant as it may be made out to be. Yes, it's a concern, but he returned fire to protect people, and the gun was legal, if I remember correctly. Nevertheless, if the background comes up poorly, I could see Meriweather slipping some more.

On Branch - Not sold that he's the type of guy that Nolan would take. We'll have to wait and see on that, but when you factor in the type of talent that Manuksy, and to a lesser extent, Nolan, have typically used, I think Branch's flaws makes him less likely to be an option there. Certainly, everyone will point to how Haloti Ngata was used in Baltimore, but it's time to realize a couple things. Baltimore used him as creatively as possible for the position, but more importantly, while Ngata/Branch is a decent comparison, they are, at the end of it, slightly different types of talents. But only time will tell.

Now, yes, I did expect unhappiness about the first move. I do expect a CB will go higher than expected, likely to a team whose fans won't like it (Houston/Miami/Atlanta/San Francisco/Buffalo - I don't think any of the fans of those teams would want it, and I can't lame them). Also, I do understand that the pass rush is a more significant issue. The edge value would be guys like Spencer/Abiamiri, and it's questionable if they can get up there, along with what type of impact they would provide. If I was doing a mock with trades, I have a couple trade scenarios with the Niners that I am working with, either up or down. BUt I would say that, if Laron Landry worked himself up to become an acceptable value there, he would've gotten the nod, as safety is a clear position that will likely get addressed early.

BUt it's early.

Jensen
02-22-2007, 08:15 AM
Best Cardinals mock ever.

BamaFalcon59
02-22-2007, 10:02 AM
from a bills stand point great draft. To many people think Lb and CB are the most pressing needs and they are not.

Bohleive
02-22-2007, 12:27 PM
Obviously that ravens draft all hinges on Hunt's 40. If you're right about that then I love this Ravens draft. I might prefer Moses in the second because LB needs more depth than CB, but still I love the value in that pick. Same goes with Smith, as a 3rd rdr and not before, I think he's a very good pick for the Ravens as they can afford to spend the pick to see if he pans out and it may light a fire under Boller. All together, like I said, if Hunt runs in the low 4.5's or better, I love the mock for Baltimore.

T-Rat42
02-22-2007, 12:59 PM
There is absolutely no way in hell the Vikings would ever take Greg Olsen over Sidney Rice in the 2nd round. Never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever would that happen.

thebow305
02-22-2007, 03:36 PM
A+ for the phins draft! Not a huge fan of Yanda or Edwards being picked in the 3rd, but I absolutely love Moss in the first and Meachem in the second, that is my dream draft! If Saban was here I would almost say it would be a sure thing for those 2 SEC picks, but now I'm not so sure. But hey, I can dream can't I!?

ftbl88
02-22-2007, 04:01 PM
This is not the bes Eagles draft. With Willis and Griffin left, one of them is certain to be picked by the Eagles. Most likely Willis, he is an every down LB and would fit perfectly in our system. In the second, Brian Leonard is an option or another DE, and depending on the first, S as well. In the third (If Willis is gone by the Eagles' first pick, which he probably will, and we select Griffin.) Anthony Waters is the pick or DE or S

toonsterwu
02-22-2007, 04:04 PM
There is absolutely no way in hell the Vikings would ever take Greg Olsen over Sidney Rice in the 2nd round. Never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever would that happen.

Why not? Sidney Rice is not a particularly good fit for what Childress wants. Rice is best used in a vertical scheme, which doesn't exactly work with how Childress utilizes his WR's. Maybe Childress changes, but to say that it would never happen seems a bit odd when Rice is, as of now, a poor fit for that offense.

toonsterwu
02-22-2007, 04:07 PM
This is not the bes Eagles draft. With Willis and Griffin left, one of them is certain to be picked by the Eagles. Most likely Willis, he is an every down LB and would fit perfectly in our system. In the second, Brian Leonard is an option or another DE, and depending on the first, S as well. In the third (If Willis is gone by the Eagles' first pick, which he probably will, and we select Griffin.) Anthony Waters is the pick or DE or S

Griffin - Still don't see the fit for the Eagles, and as of now, I project that to be a reach at the Eagles spot in the first round. The only way it's a fit is if he's drafted to be the free safety replacement for Dawkins in the future, which I don't see them doing that early. Maybe Jim Johnson changes how he utilizes his strong safeties, but I can't see them doing that.

Willis - Do you draft a 2-down LB at that spot, especially one that would likely be coming off the bench unless Trotter gets hurt? Willis isn't going to challenge for the strongside role there, and it's questionable if he could challenge for the weakside role.

Waters - While I did a lot of projecting in this mock ... I'm not bold enough to project him into the third round. The recovery has gone well, but most people anticipate Waters being a 5th-7th round gamble right now, and it'll be hard for him to move up. It's not impossible, but I'm not that bold.

And then there's the drafting philosophy that they've spelled out often about not going for LB and S early.

Anyhow, tis early.

GB12
02-22-2007, 04:19 PM

Can you give me a reason why? Not that I didn't expect such a response ...

If the RB's are off ... that makes the move in round 1 likely WR or secondary, IMO, unless they opt for DL, which I still can't see at this moment. Safeties can be found, and Bowe is an ideal WR for the scheme and is a worthy value there.

In round 2, I guess I could've gone a number of directions. But Booker looks to be solidifying a 2nd round spot, and he could fit well in the scheme.

Marvin White could move up based on workouts, and AJ Davis is a nice looking corner to develop.
The only one that I really don't like is Booker in round two. For some reason I'm just not big on him. Demarcus Tyler would be good there.

toonsterwu
02-22-2007, 04:34 PM
Interesting, because the talk seems more focused on getting a DE than a DT.

Anyhow, tis early so we'll have to see how free agency shakes things out.

ftbl88
02-22-2007, 04:39 PM
A lot of drafts have Willis going in the top 15. There is no teamin the league that would draft a two down LB in the top 15. He is the best LB prospect this year, and I see no one passing him by. Willis is versatile enough to be any position on our LB corp and would get playing time no matter what, he is that good. Griffin is in the top 3 Safeties this year. And Griffin is expected to go in the 20-40 range as of now. After the combine, he will be solidified as a first round talent, if not EARLY second. Griffin is versatile as well. He could be our SS and either him or Considine could take over FS after Dawkins retires, probably Considine, because he is not all that good against the run, to say the least. Griffin would probably stay at SS because he is great in both run and pass coverage.
If both are gone at our pick, a DE would be the most likely pick. In the second, if either of those two players would be picked, expect DE or S if we pick Willis. Weddle or Wendling or Rouse would be good options. If the Eagles would pick Leonard, defense will be the rest of the Eagles picks most likely, except for a possible late round O-linemen. If the Eagles would fill the major needs except MLB by round three, Waters is a very good pick. He was an All-Amaerican and a first round talent before he tore his ACL. Yes he is a risk, but with the Eagles not having a fourth, and him likely being gone by then, he would be a pick worthy of a stretch. I don't think he is a 5-7 round pick, maybe a 5th at the most because of his speed, athleticism, and talent. He is sort of like the Antonio Cromartie Pick of last year. High risk, with the possibility of great rewards.

GB12
02-22-2007, 04:41 PM
Interesting, because the talk seems more focused on getting a DE than a DT.

Anyhow, tis early so we'll have to see how free agency shakes things out.

Well we need to get one of them. DE is prefered but there isn't any that would be available worth taking. I like Tyler and wouldn't be surprised if he went higher. If we don't get a DE Jenkins will stay there with KGB for the pass rush.

toonsterwu
02-22-2007, 04:48 PM
A lot of drafts have Willis going in the top 15. There is no teamin the league that would draft a two down LB in the top 15. He is the best LB prospect this year, and I see no one passing him by. Willis is versatile enough to be any position on our LB corp and would get playing time no matter what, he is that good. Griffin is in the top 3 Safeties this year. And Griffin is expected to go in the 20-40 range as of now. After the combine, he will be solidified as a first round talent, if not EARLY second. Griffin is versatile as well. He could be our SS and either him or Considine could take over FS after Dawkins retires, probably Considine, because he is not all that good against the run, to say the least. Griffin would probably stay at SS because he is great in both run and pass coverage.
If both are gone at our pick, a DE would be the most likely pick. In the second, if either of those two players would be picked, expect DE or S if we pick Willis. Weddle or Wendling or Rouse would be good options. If the Eagles would pick Leonard, defense will be the rest of the Eagles picks most likely, except for a possible late round O-linemen. If the Eagles would fill the major needs except MLB by round three, Waters is a very good pick. He was an All-Amaerican and a first round talent before he tore his ACL. Yes he is a risk, but with the Eagles not having a fourth, and him likely being gone by then, he would be a pick worthy of a stretch. I don't think he is a 5-7 round pick, maybe a 5th at the most because of his speed, athleticism, and talent. He is sort of like the Antonio Cromartie Pick of last year. High risk, with the possibility of great rewards.

Willis is really poor in coverage, and he'll have to get a lot of technique work to improve that area. As he enters the NFL, he is a 2-down backer right now unless the coverage requirements are immensely simplified. The one scenario I could see is if he is utilized in a chase role that doesn't require major coverage requirements out of him.

For all the people mocking Willis in the top 15, and I've done that before, the reality is, as of now, that's a reach, and his value is still more late first because of his limitations. If Siler runs a good time, I think Siler goes ahead of him as they have similar builds but Siler is better in coverage. Now, maybe Willis shows the agility at the combine that turns some heads. It is possible. Not saying he can't go top 15, but in terms of general value, that is a reach at this moment. That said, all it takes is one team.

If I was to mock a LB to the Eagles early, I would go with Lawrence Timmons athleticism. He has the frame to handle a few more pounds, and has the potential to be a solid cover guy. Instincts are the huge knock against him right now, because while he has more tools than Ernie Sims to work with, Ernie was a much smarter football player. Now, that being said, maybe the Eagles are willing to draft a 2-down backer and try and develop him, with the idea that he'd eventually take Trotter's spot.

I'm not arguing Griffin's skillset, as it's a very well-rounded skillset. I'm arguing on the size. For the diverse responsibilities that the Eagles use their strong safeties, it takes a wear and tear on the guys. Griffin is fairly maxed out on his frame, and I'm not sure a 190ish SS can cut it for how they use them. It's not impossible, but it's hard to see, especially since they've publically stated an aversion to go safety early in the draft in the past.

I could see Wendling and Weddle. Rouse's problems are the same as Michael Lewis, and Rouse has a lot of work to do to prove to people that he can cover.

Yes, Waters was a potential first round talent, but the difference is, Cromartie had a knee injury ... Waters tore his ACL. Huge difference. It's possible Waters works his way up, but that'll require a lot of testing and work. When you factor in the depth of LB in this year's drat for the 2nd tier, and it's a long road for him.

steelernation77
02-22-2007, 04:49 PM
It disappoints me that the Steelers do not get a good pass rusher, since that is IMO our biggest need.

toonsterwu
02-22-2007, 04:56 PM
It disappoints me that the Steelers do not get a good pass rusher, since that is IMO our biggest need.

I agree, and that was one of the most disappointing things in the mock for me. I had, in previous mocks, gone with Anthony Spencer in the first, and I could still see that, as Spencer can be a 4-3 end whenever they transition. But a lot of momentum seems to be behind addressing the secondary, which is why I tabbed Ross. Definitely could see Spencer.

In the 2nd, I considered Bazuin, who would be a real nice fit. He's got better athleticism than he's given credit for. That said, Rice seemed like too good of a value to pass up.

In the 3rd, Robison and Moore were given thoughts, but Michael Bush seemed too good of a value to pass up there either. That said, Moore makes sense there if he shows the ability to handle the role.

In the 4th, Pittman/Burchette and a couple other sleeper names were given thoughts ... but I'm just not sure they go there. It's possible, though.

Rayford Mcdaniel
02-22-2007, 04:57 PM
I like this mock alot as its how most NFL Drafts turn out, unexpected. Theres two picks that I dont like for the packers and its in the first two rounds. If Landry wasnt still on the board id see us making that pick but for the fact he is I would like to see him be a packer over a wr because of the glaring weakness.

Lorenzo Booker is the other one i dont like. I see him as that prototypical college back and not being able to handle the NFL load as there are still questions as to where Ahman Green will be.

Other than that Id like your opinion on a couple things...

Ryne Robinson. Where do you think a guy like this will go round wise and what is your take on him? A Punt return specialist if thats what you wanna call him is often overlooked in a game which values field possession. Im not too sure on his reciever skills based on the competetion hes faced in the MAC but from what ive read hes fundamentally gifted.

Josh Gattis. Whats you take on him as well? I see him being a better pro prospect than say Merriweather.

jetsfan3
02-22-2007, 04:59 PM
AMAZING Jets draft.

toonsterwu
02-22-2007, 05:05 PM
I like this mock alot as its how most NFL Drafts turn out, unexpected. Theres two picks that I dont like for the packers and its in the first two rounds. If Landry wasnt still on the board id see us making that pick but for the fact he is I would like to see him be a packer over a wr because of the glaring weakness.

Lorenzo Booker is the other one i dont like. I see him as that prototypical college back and not being able to handle the NFL load as there are still questions as to where Ahman Green will be.

Other than that Id like your opinion on a couple things...

Ryne Robinson. Where do you think a guy like this will go round wise and what is your take on him? A Punt return specialist if thats what you wanna call him is often overlooked in a game which values field possession. Im not too sure on his reciever skills based on the competetion hes faced in the MAC but from what ive read hes fundamentally gifted.

Josh Gattis. Whats you take on him as well? I see him being a better pro prospect than say Merriweather.

I gave long thought to Landry in the first, and it's possible. I leaned Bowe because I think they need another offensive weapon for the offense to move forward, whereas, I think defensively, they are a bit more sound at this stage. Jamaal Anderson was still on the board for me, and I could see the Packers going that route as well.

As for Booker, I think he's tougher than he plays and fits well for the system. The apprehension is certainly warranted, though.

Short of it -

Ryne Robinson - More quick than top end speed from the rumors. As such, I look for him mid day 2. Could see him in the 4th, but also could see him much later.

Josh Gattis - Was a tough slip, as I could see him going in the 4th ... best case scenario, late 3rd. That said, the momentum has been going the opposite way for him. Now, that being said, I think one of the problems is that he's being thought of more as a free safety. As a strong safety target, I think he could be a solid pickup. In short, I could see him anywhere from late 3rd to mid-day 2, but safeties have a tendency to slip unless they standout.

Go_Eagles77
02-22-2007, 05:19 PM
Pretty good eagles mock, I'm not too happy with passing on Willis but all your picks were needs. Frampton might be a reach though.

ftbl88
02-22-2007, 05:56 PM
I knew I wasn't the only Eagles fan who wanted Willis, and trust me, there are plenty more where that came from. Willis will have two or so years to learn how to cover properly while he is behind Trotter, who knows OLB isn't out of the question as a starter as a rookie either. He is good enough to learn and would be willing to. He has enough athleticism to be able to cover in the NFL. Plus, the Eagles don't rely on their MLB to cover too much anyway. Just thought you would like to know Griffin is 6' and 210, a little bit higher than your 190ish. I think you were thinking of Brandon Meriweather. Griffin would be the Eagles second option if Willis was gone, and most Eagles fans would agree. I agree with you on Rouse, but he has plenty of speed that he could learn the nuances of coverage a little better. I would rather have Weddle or Wendling, but Rouse would be fine as well. I am beginning to suspect the Eagles benched Lewis because it was his contract year and didn't want to pay him all that much, but I really hope thats not the case. If that were true though, I could see Rouse as a pick in the second.

Tubby
02-22-2007, 06:04 PM
You just love giving us RB's, dont you?

WE DONT NEED ONE

KILLERSANTA
02-22-2007, 06:23 PM
22. Dallas Cowboys

The hiring of Wade Phillips keeps the 3-4, which was the right move. Offensively, with T.O. likely returning, the main offensive concern is on the OL. Defensively, they could use secondary help. The nod still goes to CB, but that could change. Darrelle Revis may be the type of big corner that Wade likes, allowing Henry to move to safety.

Pick: CB Darrelle Revis, Pittsburgh

Love this pick, I'm guess you been reading my other comments.(Jerry Jones Doesn't Value OL's as First Round Talent)

53. Dallas Cowboys

They addressed the secondary earlier and now could look towards the OL/DL. Demarcus Tyler may be a gamble they take, as NT talent is hard to find, and they could use an improvement there.

Pick: NT Demarcus Tyler, NC State

If Bill Parcells was still here, This would be a very bad pick. But he's gone, This is a soild pick as long as Tyler can put on 10-15 lbs.

88. Dallas Cowboys

They’ve added a CB and a NT. While more defensive help could be sought, it’s likely this pick is on offense, and in particular, on the OL. The nod goes to the tough, but sound, Dustin Fry, who can play guard.

Pick: OL Dustin Fry, Clemson

Ain't this a bit early for him? With Manuel Ramirez still on the board, I would be willing to bet that's who Jerry would want. He strong, Can bench press a small house..Not the fastest OL, But fast enough....Remind you of someone? Like larry Allen, I think we all know how that worked out.

119. Dallas Cowboys

They’ve added Revis/Tyler/Fry, which addresses their key offseason concerns. What’s next? The nod goes to providing help on offense, with the addition of Aundrae Allison as an option for Tony Romo. Another OL is a consideration here.

Pick: WR Aundrae Allison, East Carolina

Good pick, Paul Williams would also work here!

Overall Very Very Good cowboys draft..I give it a A! :D

GB12
02-22-2007, 06:24 PM
You just love giving us RB's, dont you?

WE DONT NEED ONE

It's not like he gave you one in the first round(not that you have a pick there anyway). Do you seriously think that there is no chance the Seahawks take a RB.

02-22-2007, 06:27 PM
That has got to be the most amazing Cardinals' mock I've ever seem. Colts' is very good as well.

toonsterwu
02-22-2007, 06:51 PM
I knew I wasn't the only Eagles fan who wanted Willis, and trust me, there are plenty more where that came from. Willis will have two or so years to learn how to cover properly while he is behind Trotter, who knows OLB isn't out of the question as a starter as a rookie either. He is good enough to learn and would be willing to. He has enough athleticism to be able to cover in the NFL. Plus, the Eagles don't rely on their MLB to cover too much anyway. Just thought you would like to know Griffin is 6' and 210, a little bit higher than your 190ish. I think you were thinking of Brandon Meriweather. Griffin would be the Eagles second option if Willis was gone, and most Eagles fans would agree. I agree with you on Rouse, but he has plenty of speed that he could learn the nuances of coverage a little better. I would rather have Weddle or Wendling, but Rouse would be fine as well. I am beginning to suspect the Eagles benched Lewis because it was his contract year and didn't want to pay him all that much, but I really hope thats not the case. If that were true though, I could see Rouse as a pick in the second.

As for Griffin, check the Senior Bowl weigh ins. I'm fairly certain that Scott still has it up. He came in around 195.

Speed isn't the issue with Rouse. His flexibility to adjust ... that's just not something that's going to improve much. Whereas, for Wendling, the issues in coverage are more technique. Rouse's coverage is pretty much what it is.

pickles
02-22-2007, 06:53 PM
If Alan Branch is there the 49ers take him, their biggest need in this draft is a NT and Branch has played NT so he would be the Ideal Pick. I like Houston in the second round but the first is too much of a reach.

toonsterwu
02-22-2007, 06:56 PM
Seahawks - I gave them a RB as there are indications that it's something that will be looked at this offseason. Despite what you may want, RB and S are both offseason concerns that will be looked at. I would've preferred going safety in the 4th, but the value relative to need wasn't the best at this moment in time.

Tank Tyler - Not sure he needs to put on 10-15 pounds. I think at the 320ish number he was at the Senior Bowl, he'll be okay.

Fry - I think late 3rd/early 4th is where he's at right now. I don't see much mobility for him, though, and I expect he'll stay in that area.

toonsterwu
02-22-2007, 06:57 PM
If Alan Branch is there the 49ers take him, their biggest need in this draft is a NT and Branch has played NT so he would be the Ideal Pick. I like Houston in the second round but the first is too much of a reach.

Houston isn't going to be there in the 2nd round if he runs a mid 4.3 number ... and if he runs a low 4.3, then no. As for Branch, he's not a 3-4 NT projection. In the 3-4, he's a DE projection. I think Houston is a late first grade right now, and as such, I think it's fully possible that a 4.3 time bumps him up to the early-mid first. I've been saying that for awhile. Heck, even Mayock said Houston was a possibility for Buffalo at 12 the other day.

KILLERSANTA
02-22-2007, 07:08 PM
Seahawks - I gave them a RB as there are indications that it's something that will be looked at this offseason. Despite what you may want, RB and S are both offseason concerns that will be looked at. I would've preferred going safety in the 4th, but the value relative to need wasn't the best at this moment in time.

Tank Tyler - Not sure he needs to put on 10-15 pounds. I think at the 320ish number he was at the Senior Bowl, he'll be okay.

Fry - I think late 3rd/early 4th is where he's at right now. I don't see much mobility for him, though, and I expect he'll stay in that area.

My bad......I was told he was at 308..My bad...320 is good........

D-Unit
02-22-2007, 08:48 PM
Wow... I have browsed this forum in a while....

Interesting Dallas picks Toonster. You know I'm lovin' Tyler in the second round. Revis is nice too. When I saw Mason Crosby go one pick after us in the 3rd round, I had to cringe. Dallas has had Kicker problems for a very long time now. ...and bad Kicking luck too! Recently in the Cowboys thread I have been stating how I think we should draft him in round 2. ...I mean supposedly he's been kicking 70 yard FGs in practice. I wanna see that with my own eyes! If true, that's who I'd want. Allison would be good value there in the 4th, but I think between Patrick Crayton, Miles Austin and Sam Hurd...a future #2 should arise. Hopefully that guy is Austin. I really like what he's shown.

kevin148
02-22-2007, 09:45 PM
Vikings picks.....

The Good.

Reggie Nelson / S / Florida (1st round )

Not my favorite pick...and I'm not sure we'd pass on Landry should
we go FS. Landry's a bit taller and a bit heavier yet just as fast.
Plus I believe Landry is the better all around FS....Nelson is probably
more athletic..but he's had 1 good year where Landry's had more than
1. I wouldn't cry if we took Nelson...just would rather have Nelson in that spot.

Greg Olsen / TE / Miami (2nd round ) Just Love this pick.
It's safe to say that the Vikings need playmakers and many feel Olsen hasn't come anywhere near his potential...his last year at Da U showed he can be more than just an occasional weapon. The Vikings really have to get faster and younger at the TE spot , but honestly what are the odds we give big money again to a TE (We just gave Richard Angulo a huge 3 year deal last year) ?
and b. what are the odds we pass on a WR. I like Olsen and would love to see him in purple...but I just don't see it happening.

The bad.
Paul Williams / WR / Fresno State (3rd Round)
We already have our burner (and a boatload of money invested in) Troy Williamson. What this team needs is guys who can catch the ball and get a couple yards after the catch. The last thing we need is another guy who has blazing speed and a rep for having stone hands.
Give us a Dallas Baker in the 4th...oh and this is "the bad" because we need to address WR in the first 2 rounds...though we don't have to do it at 7 ...there is no reason we can't trade down in the first..get a DeWayne
Bowe / Robert Meachem and pick up a 2nd rounder and take a DE there.

The Ugly
OG Manuel Ramirez, Texas Tech

To me Ramirez doesn't make a ton of sense. Ryan Cook was a high draft pick who Childress thought enough of to start on the line over another O-Lineman 2nd rounder (Marcus Johnson) from the year before.
This pick means 2 things...1 that M.Johnson is going to be given up on and b.) Ryan Cook stays at RT...a position that handled him and he looked terrible at. His skills don't translate to T at all. He was owned in the 4 games he started and his lack of pure athletisism should be the warning to Viking coaches that this position just doesn't suit his body / skill. I'd much rather have a tackle prospect here who isn't a project as much as he is a "solid" player ...seeing as this would be in the 4th round
that means a Big 10 guy or B.C.'s Marten.

Overall I wouldn't hate this draft...but it's very average and really only makes the secondary (not the problem) younger and more athletic.
We'd then have 4 TE's with big money (the already mentioned Angulo then Kleinsauser and Wiggins are the other 2)

I respect the time and effort into the draft.. Hopefully you'll do another after the combine.

toonsterwu
02-22-2007, 10:47 PM
Wow... I have browsed this forum in a while....

Interesting Dallas picks Toonster. You know I'm lovin' Tyler in the second round. Revis is nice too. When I saw Mason Crosby go one pick after us in the 3rd round, I had to cringe. Dallas has had Kicker problems for a very long time now. ...and bad Kicking luck too! Recently in the Cowboys thread I have been stating how I think we should draft him in round 2. ...I mean supposedly he's been kicking 70 yard FGs in practice. I wanna see that with my own eyes! If true, that's who I'd want. Allison would be good value there in the 4th, but I think between Patrick Crayton, Miles Austin and Sam Hurd...a future #2 should arise. Hopefully that guy is Austin. I really like what he's shown.

If Crayton sticks around ... then i'd probably rule out a 4th for a WR. Isn't he a RFA? If Crayton sticks, then they are set with the top 3 and can afford to wait as Crayton's fine at 3.

As for Crosby, I have mixed feelings about him in the 2nd. I could see it ... but he does have some inconsistencies and potentially some technique work needed.

toonsterwu
02-22-2007, 11:00 PM
Vikings picks.....

The Good.

Reggie Nelson / S / Florida (1st round )

Not my favorite pick...and I'm not sure we'd pass on Landry should
we go FS. Landry's a bit taller and a bit heavier yet just as fast.
Plus I believe Landry is the better all around FS....Nelson is probably
more athletic..but he's had 1 good year where Landry's had more than
1. I wouldn't cry if we took Nelson...just would rather have Nelson in that spot.

Greg Olsen / TE / Miami (2nd round ) Just Love this pick.
It's safe to say that the Vikings need playmakers and many feel Olsen hasn't come anywhere near his potential...his last year at Da U showed he can be more than just an occasional weapon. The Vikings really have to get faster and younger at the TE spot , but honestly what are the odds we give big money again to a TE (We just gave Richard Angulo a huge 3 year deal last year) ?
and b. what are the odds we pass on a WR. I like Olsen and would love to see him in purple...but I just don't see it happening.

The bad.
Paul Williams / WR / Fresno State (3rd Round)
We already have our burner (and a boatload of money invested in) Troy Williamson. What this team needs is guys who can catch the ball and get a couple yards after the catch. The last thing we need is another guy who has blazing speed and a rep for having stone hands.
Give us a Dallas Baker in the 4th...oh and this is "the bad" because we need to address WR in the first 2 rounds...though we don't have to do it at 7 ...there is no reason we can't trade down in the first..get a DeWayne
Bowe / Robert Meachem and pick up a 2nd rounder and take a DE there.

The Ugly
OG Manuel Ramirez, Texas Tech

To me Ramirez doesn't make a ton of sense. Ryan Cook was a high draft pick who Childress thought enough of to start on the line over another O-Lineman 2nd rounder (Marcus Johnson) from the year before.
This pick means 2 things...1 that M.Johnson is going to be given up on and b.) Ryan Cook stays at RT...a position that handled him and he looked terrible at. His skills don't translate to T at all. He was owned in the 4 games he started and his lack of pure athletisism should be the warning to Viking coaches that this position just doesn't suit his body / skill. I'd much rather have a tackle prospect here who isn't a project as much as he is a "solid" player ...seeing as this would be in the 4th round
that means a Big 10 guy or B.C.'s Marten.

Overall I wouldn't hate this draft...but it's very average and really only makes the secondary (not the problem) younger and more athletic.
We'd then have 4 TE's with big money (the already mentioned Angulo then Kleinsauser and Wiggins are the other 2)

I respect the time and effort into the draft.. Hopefully you'll do another after the combine.

Thanks for the comment. I'll probably do a mock after I get back from Switzerland.

I'm not sure Landry has top 10 value. Nelson has the "playmaking" ability, versatility to potentially move to 7. It's possible for Landry to be there ... but I'm hesistant right now.

As for Angulo, he's not on your team anymore last I checked. He's on the Bears practice squad. I think you guys need a receiving TE for Childress to really work his scheme. Kleinsasser and Wiggins both seem at risk to not be back.

I wasn't mocking trades, otherwise I probably would've positioned them for a WR. That said, there is a thought that they'll try and target someone in FA (perhaps Drew Bennett), as learning the scheme takes time. If Williams develops, he is a guy that will provides yards after catcher.

As for Ramirez, I can understand that. I'll be curious to see where Ryan Cook is placed, although I don't disagree as I think he's probably better off at guard.

The OUTLAW
02-23-2007, 09:49 AM
This is one of the worst mocks I've ever seen.

toonsterwu
02-23-2007, 01:11 PM

Not that I care, but you want to give a reason? Let me guess, you are one of those that will tell me all my values are wrong because so and so isn't worth a pick or so and so won't fall down to a spot. Because we all know that values are set already ... :roll:

mpindo3
02-23-2007, 02:01 PM

you haven't looked at too many mocks around here then.

josh07039
02-23-2007, 02:08 PM
Jets draft is close to perfect

ftbl88
02-23-2007, 05:31 PM
Rouse is on the bottom of my list for second round Safeties, I agree with you there, but Griffin is at least 200 lbs last I saw, and he DOES have room to fill. He could get up in the 210 range if he had to. But he doesn't, Dawkins is only 205ish and he is awesome in our system. Granted he is our FS, but in our defensive scheme, it is pretty balanced between run and pass coverage for our safeties.

Tubby
02-24-2007, 01:33 AM

Unless you know something about my hometown team that I dont, there havent been any indications that we will go after a RB.

Shiver
02-24-2007, 01:57 AM
No one makes me more pleased with mocks than Toonster.

kevin148
02-24-2007, 02:00 AM
"toonsterwu"
Thanks for the comment. I'll probably do a mock after I get back from Switzerland.

I'm not sure Landry has top 10 value. Nelson has the "playmaking" ability, versatility to potentially move to 7. It's possible for Landry to be there ... but I'm hesistant right now. Yeah, I can see that
not showing up for the Senior Bowl hurt his stock...but I have a feeling
that after the combine...LaRon will re-establish himself as the leader of the S group. To be he's more consistent and not looking for the Sean Taylor hit...he's just in good position for 95% of the time and can make plays as well Nelson's 6 picks look great on paper...but Landry is the better tackler and to me the better pass defender ...maybe not as far as turning swated balls into picks...but he won't miss. That's something the Vikes would love to have...consistency against the pass.

As for Angulo, he's not on your team anymore last I checked. He's on the Bears practice squad. I think you guys need a receiving TE for Childress to really work his scheme. Kleinsasser and Wiggins both seem at risk to not be back.
This is my fault...I was very tired and wasn't thinking...it was
Jeff Dugan who I was thinking about.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2696698
This is a pretty big contract for a TE that's proven nothing.
he's big and physical...and was sent out on a lot of deep routes near the end of the year (a few bounced off his shoulders and into the arms of defenders...helping Brad Johnson lose his job)
I'd love Olsen, just don't see that happening with Owens / Dugan and the other 2 stiffs still under contract (looks probable that Wiggins will get cut, not sure about Kliensauser just yet)

I wasn't mocking trades, otherwise I probably would've positioned them for a WR. That said, there is a thought that they'll try and target someone in FA (perhaps Drew Bennett), as learning the scheme takes time. If Williams develops, he is a guy that will provides yards after catcher. Totally agree about Troy Williamson. Typically WR's "breakout" in the 3rd season...Williamson will be entering that 3rd year (as will Bethel Johnson who could return because he won't cost a ton) I also think Drew Bennett will be brought in...as should Kevin Curtis and Ernest Wilford (should he get cut) Trading down is what I think most Viking fans want...if not Anthony Gonzalez or Robert Meachem or Craig Davis in the 2nd would be as good as Ted Ginn Jr or DeWayne Jarett in the first....there's only so much impact a WR can make.
When they're all bad though (the situation we're currently in) your team just can't move the ball.

As for Ramirez, I can understand that. I'll be curious to see where Ryan Cook is placed, although I don't disagree as I think he's probably better off at guard. Okay, then what late round prospects (3rd or 4th round) tackles would be the best RT for a team that can't figure out if they want to run a ZBS or man ?
Because last year we ran both...and neither very well.

I look forward to your next mock....keep up the great work ! :D