PDA

View Full Version : Jake Long Question

DWilliams2IndyColts
01-02-2008, 02:40 AM
What I don't understand is that most of people's mocks have him going to the Rams at number two to replace Orlando Pace at Left Tackle and move Baron back to the right side. Jake Long is a Right Tackle. Some one please explain.

energizerbunny
01-02-2008, 02:51 AM
In theory, Long is seen as a better LT prospect then Barron.... even though Barron is currently playing there. Its debatable but I really don't see the rams going that direction anyway.

Long's stock is currently probaly a little higher than it will be around draft time, as teams will try to really figure him out here in the next couple of months.

He isn't quite the prospect Joe Thomas was, but very few are.

I see him as a mix between Jon Runyan and Jon Tait......

WildDude
01-02-2008, 03:11 AM
I'm not sold on taking a Tackle high they tend to be either great or a bust, Great- Orlando Pace, Joe Thomas... Bust- D'brick, Gallery

im a jets fan and i really really hope they dont take him if he falls to them which is why im kinda glad in a way we beat KC so hes not likely to drop to us...

DWilliams2IndyColts
01-02-2008, 03:13 AM
I'm not sold on taking a Tackle high they tend to be either great or a bust, Great- Orlando Pace, Joe Thomas... Bust- D'brick, Gallery

im a jets fan and i really really hope they dont take him if he falls to them which is why im kinda glad in a way we beat KC so hes not likely to drop to us...I wouldn't say Brick is a bust.

energizerbunny
01-02-2008, 03:18 AM

im a jets fan and i really really hope they dont take him if he falls to them which is why im kinda glad in a way we beat KC so hes not likely to drop to us...

This isn't a great draft to begin with so selecting further down really doesn't matter as much as it would in most years... the jets will get a similar talent now that they would have at 3, only at a much reduced price.

I wouldn't say D'Brick is a bust but I don't think his ceiling is as high as many around here had it pegged.
He is never going to be a great run blocker or pass blocker and he probally will never be able to hold the mass to become one, but he can be a servicable LT in this league.

Of course you could say drafting OTs high is always a risk but you can say that for any position. For every Orlando Pace there is a Tony Mandarich, for every Tony Boselli there is a Mike Williams.

The risk/reward is worth it though, if you pick right your QB basically doesn't have to worry about who is going to hit him in the back for a decade. That kind of security will make any QB better, as well as opening huge holes for RBs.

BamaFalcon59
01-02-2008, 09:39 AM
Jake Long looked great against Florida.

DWilliams2IndyColts
01-02-2008, 02:15 PM
Jake Long looked great against Florida.I'm not saying he didn't. I'm just saying that if Jake Long is a Right Tackle why would the Rams draft him to replace Pace.

BamaFalcon59
01-02-2008, 02:58 PM
Eh, I think he could line up on the left. He isn't as bad an athlete as given credit for. He moved pretty well and can usually get a hand on someone on the jet or edge rush. And on inside moves he will dominate you.

Paranoidmoonduck
01-02-2008, 03:35 PM
While Long certainly looks the part of the bruising right tackle, I don't think he's done anything this year to make anyone think he cannot play left tackle at the next level. He might not be a great pass blocker and he might occasionally struggle with speed rushers, but I don't think he is incapable of protecting a quarterback's blindside.

energizerbunny
01-02-2008, 07:07 PM
While Long certainly looks the part of the bruising right tackle, I don't think he's done anything this year to make anyone think he cannot play left tackle at the next level. He might not be a great pass blocker and he might occasionally struggle with speed rushers, but I don't think he is incapable of protecting a quarterback's blindside.

Whereever he plays in the nfl, he'll be there for 10 years. Elite RT or Good/solid LT, he brings almost everything to the table that you want in a tackle. Michigan breeds NFL olineman, he is just another stud, He is a much better prospect then Backus was.

george_allen
01-02-2008, 09:41 PM
What I don't understand is that most of people's mocks have him going to the Rams at number two to replace Orlando Pace at Left Tackle and move Baron back to the right side. Jake Long is a Right Tackle. Some one please explain.

good question. as a rams fan i've been wondering the same thing. what's funny is barron actually played better on the left when he moved over to cover for pace. if it turns out pace won't heal - which we have no indication of at this point - i would think barron would move permanently to the left . . .
and then the would need a right tackle - but : brandon gorin did pretty well in relief of barron - is he a long term answer, don't know. as far as j.long to the rams, i just don't see spending #2 on a rt.

adschofield
01-02-2008, 09:44 PM

To put it in laments terms, Jake Long is a Left Tackle

DWilliams2IndyColts
01-03-2008, 01:12 AM
To put it in laments terms, Jake Long is a Left TackleI'm saying I would like him better at RT.

sodar21
01-03-2008, 01:19 AM
I'm saying I would like him better at RT.

The Rams could probably use him at both. If Pace is healthy then Long can play RT but at least they can be somewhat comfortable in knowing they have a better option than Barron for LT in case Pace goes down.

Thread Killer
01-03-2008, 09:10 PM
The Rams could probably use him at both. If Pace is healthy then Long can play RT but at least they can be somewhat comfortable in knowing they have a better option than Barron for LT in case Pace goes down.

No they wouldn't. Barron makes some bonehead mistakes sometimes with the snap count (better this year), but he's look pretty good at LT this year.

bored of education
01-03-2008, 09:13 PM
YOU may like him more at RT. but he could play LT.

he could play LT in a ZBS, he has decent footwork, very high football IQ which are important.

Finsfan79
01-04-2008, 07:54 AM
he would look good in miami perhaps if they can drop down a few spots

Iamcanadian
01-04-2008, 08:29 AM
The Rams are a pass 1st team, they are not going to draft Jake Long at #2. Jake Long can be an effective LT for a team that has a run first philosophy but he is never going to be an All Pro playing LT. He can be an All Pro RT for any team.
As long as he is only asked to pass block 30-40% of the time, he can be an above average LT but if you expect him to pass block the majority of the time, he will play badly. I really think he will be drafted by a team looking to run the football maybe Kansas City.

PossumBoy9
01-04-2008, 03:45 PM

Is he really a better option than Barron at LT? I'm not so sure.

gangGREENinsider
01-04-2008, 05:55 PM
Some people like Long better at RT because Long has this reputation for being a mauler, when in reality, he doesn't really blow people off the ball in Michigan's zone-blocking scheme. I'd be surprised if a team took him where's slated to go in order to have him play on the right side.

And D'Brick is not a bust. This is the learning curve young OT's go through. He goes up against some of the best DE's in the AFC East in Taylor, Seymour, and Schobel. He's shown flashes of brilliance- especially against the smaller speedy edge rusher- and has also had his bad moments- usually against two-gappers who can overpower him at the POA. As he gets stronger and more experience, I'm confident he'll be the pro many thought he'd be.

NGSeiler
01-05-2008, 01:18 AM
No they wouldn't. Barron makes some bonehead mistakes sometimes with the snap count (better this year), but he's look pretty good at LT this year.

Not entirely sure about that one...