PDA

View Full Version : Hitem's first mock draft of the year.

Hitemhard05
01-02-2008, 01:33 PM
1. Miami Dolphins (1-15) – Glenn Dorsey | DT | LSU
Miami will probably look to trade down here, but since I hate predicting trades, taking Dorsey #1 would be their best bet. They can’t stop the run for anything on defense, and getting stacked up front is the first step in fixing that problem. Dorsey has been an animal on LSU’s physical front for the last two years, even garnering Heisman attention.

2. St. Louis Rams (3-13) – Vernon Gholston | DE | Ohio State
This surely isn’t the popular pick, but I see Gholston rising above Long after the combine and offseason work-outs. He’s a beast, with muscles on top of muscles and athleticism to match. Both Jake and Chris Long will be intriguing for the Rams, but Gholston’s ability off the edge will be enough to not let them pass him up.

3. Atlanta Falcons (4-12) – Darren McFadden | RB | Arkansas
It looks like Buddy Nix and Marty Schottenheimer will be in Atlanta sometime soon, which makes the McFadden pick even more likely. If they can get their hands on him, I don’t see them passing on talent like that. In Buddy’s first year in San Diego they drafted LaDainian Tomlinson, and McFadden is the same type of can’t-miss back that LT was.

4. Oakland Raiders (4-12) – Chris Long | DE | Virginia
Al Davis won’t pass on Howie’s son here. It’s the perfect fit for more reasons than one.

5. Kansas City Chiefs (4-12) – Jake Long | OT | Michigan
Kansas City’s offensive line was awful this year, they desperately need someone to anchor their line. Long is one of the best OT prospects I’ve seen in the last few years, KC would be lucky to get him.

6. New York Jets (4-12) – Ryan Clady | OT | Boise St.
Clady has boatloads of potential, and New York would have bookend tackles for years to come. If McFadden is off the board, and there are no valuable pass-rushers I could definitely see them taking Clady.

7. New England Patriots (f/SF[5-11]) – Rey Maualuga | ILB | USC
Rey fits New England’s 3-4 scheme perfectly, and should declare after a spectacular Rose Bowl performance. The rich get richer, lame.

8. Baltimore Ravens (5-11) – Calias Campbell | DE | Miami
While I think they should take a quarterback, many feel that Troy Smith has a future in Baltimore. Oh well, different strokes I guess. Campbell would be a solid option if Baltimore believes in Smith. He’s got lots of potential to be a great pass-rusher.

9. Cincinnati Bengals (7-9) – James Laurinaitis | LB | Ohio State
This works well for Cincinnati because they have Ahmad Brooks coming back, so he can fill the MLB role while Laurinaitis, being a flexible linebacker, can move to OLB.

10. New Orleans Saints (7-9) – Malcolm Jenkins | CB | Ohio State
Jason David played terribly all year, and we all know this. They need a corner like Vick needs a get out of jail free card.

11. Buffalo Bills (7-9) – Malcolm Kelly | WR | Oklahoma
Lee Evans has proven he can be a starter for years to come, but they lack any other solid option for Trent Edwards to throw to. Malcolm Kelly has risen very high over the course of this season with his great play, and his size will make him very attractive to Buffalo.

12. Denver Broncos (7-9) – Sedrick Ellis | DT | USC
Kenny Phillips would be very tempting, but their defensive line was awful this year (besides Dumervil). Ellis can have an impact on their defense like Okoye had on Houston’s this year.

13. Carolina Panthers (7-9) – Kenny Phillips | S | Miami
Despite having Keith Rivers and Dan Connor on the board, and an empty OLB spot, Phillips is too talented for them to pass on. They have serious holes all over the defense, so why not improve it with a playmaker.

14. Chicago Bears (7-9) – Matt Ryan | QB | Boston College
I don’t care if Lovie Smith is faithful to Grossman, the higher-ups aren’t. If they know what’s best for them they will take a quarterback. If they’re lucky enough to have Ryan fall into their laps, they better snatch him up.

15. Detroit Lions (7-9) – Mike Jenkins | CB | South Florida
The Lions secondary is pathetic, but Jenkins can provide a spark. He’s got great tools, and could be a very good player for Detroit.

16. Arizona Cardinals (8-8) - Leodis McKelvin | CB | Troy
McKelvin has very high potential, and with his great 40 yard dash time he will move up boards. He’s also a threat as a return man, and with teams looking for the Hester-type player, it only makes McKelvin that much more valuable.

17. Minnesota Vikings (8-8) – DeSean Jackson | WR | Cal
It looks like they will give Tarvaris Jackson one more season to get his game together, so they better look to give him another target. Coupling Jackson with Sidney Rice could be a great wide out duo in the future.

18. Houston Texans (8-8) – Jonathan Stewart | RB | Oregon
With Stewarts Sun Bowl record 253 rushing yards he finished the season on a very high note, and will most likely declare for the draft soon enough. Stewart has great measurables, as he is a big back but reportedly runs in the 4.3s. He was great all season for the Ducks, and Houston would miss out if they didn’t take Stewart.

19. Philadelphia Eagles (8-8) – Sam Baker | OT | USC
The Eagles offensive line played very poorly this year, and would benefit by bringing in some youth behind their old offensive tackles. Runyan will retire soon, so Baker is a logical option.

20. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (9-7) – Keith Rivers | OLB | USC
If Rivers is on the board here, the Bucs would be getting a very nice steal. He’s got top 10 talent, and learning behind Derrick Brooks for one year would give him a real boost. He and Barrett Ruud would dominate in the future.

21. Washington Redskins (9-7) – Phillip Merling | DE | Clemson
The Redskins would flirt with the idea of a pass rusher like Derrick Harvey, but Phillip Merling is a better fit. He’s a bigger defensive end that would help against the run. But don’t doubt Merling rushing the passer either, because he’s got a mean bull-rush.

22. Dallas Cowboys (f/CLE[10-6]) – Antoine Cason | CB | Arizona
Other than Terrance Newman, the Cowboys corners are getting old. The team doesn’t have too many needs, and Cason could learn for a year or two before taking a starting role.

23. Seattle Seahawks (10-6) – Rashard Mendenhall | RB | Illinois
Shaun Alexander is obviously slowing down, and Maurice Morris doesn’t look like he can carry the load by himself. Mendenhall has really raised his stock with a great season, and Seattle should take a long, hard look at him here.

24. Pittsburgh Steelers (10-6) – Jeff Otah | OT | Pittsburgh
The Steelers need depth on their offensive line, and Otah is a hometown boy who would fit well.

25. Tennessee Titans (10-6) – Limas Sweed | WR | Texas
The Titans receivers have to be the worst corps in the league. It’s not helping Vince Young any when his wide outs drop passes all the time. Young already has chemistry with Sweed, which could be a great thing for Tennessee.

26. New York Giants (10-6) – Dan Connor | OLB | Penn St
The Giants would be very happy if Connor were to fall to them here, as he would fill a big hole in their defense.

27. San Diego Chargers (11-5) – Kentwan Balmer | DT | North Carolina
Balmer looks to be a good fit in the 3-4 defense, which would make San Diego very interested. He’s quick off the snap and has the potential to be great.

28. Jacksonville Jaguars (11-5) – Early Doucet | WR | LSU
Jacksonville has wasted too many early picks on receivers, but this year they really don’t need much else. Doucet has a lot of talent, and could be the burner in a group of tall, slower receivers.

29. Green Bay Packers (13-3) – Michael Oher | OL | Ole Miss
The Packers need some depth and help on the O-line, and Oher would benefit from sitting a year and learning.

30. San Francisco 49ers (f/IND[13-3]) – Adarius Bowman | WR | Oklahoma St
They tried to fix their wide out problems this offseason with Darrell Jackson, but he failed just as their last few other experiments have at wide out. He is a big, physical receiver with a T.O.-like frame that could a lot of attention.

31. Dallas Cowboys (13-3) – Tony Hills | OT | Texas
Tony Hills is a very interesting prospect, as he hasn’t played well on some occasions, but at other times he shows flashes of brilliance, and looks like a top 5 pick. He’s got the capability to be a top-tier left tackle, and Dallas would love to have a guy like that behind an aging Adams.

32. New England Patriots (16-0) – Forfeited

fenikz
01-02-2008, 01:37 PM
That fact that McKelvin is a return man means nothing to the Cardinals we are set with Steve Breaston, why did he rise up everyone's boards so quick, he didn't have a good senior year and his junior year isn't any better, give us Cason or Stewart in this situation.

skinzzfan25
01-02-2008, 02:00 PM
Never heard of Merling, interesting pick. Big guy with a very nice 40 time.

Jakey
01-02-2008, 02:16 PM
Never heard of Merling, interesting pick. Big guy with a very nice 40 time.

Merling is underrated!!! He will be a good player at the next level...clever pick that one.

For the Steelers, Otah is a great pick :)

DiG
01-02-2008, 02:33 PM
merling to me is still a second round guy but he could rise come draft day with a good combine/pro day. at this point it seems early for him though. still the right kinda end we need just not the best value.

Bills2083
01-02-2008, 04:19 PM
Good Bills pick and good explanation

T-RICH49
01-02-2008, 04:30 PM
awesome KC pick

hugegmenfan
01-02-2008, 04:43 PM
although i like the value of connor, LB is not the giants biggest issue: its the secondary- give us a CB.

bored of education
01-02-2008, 05:12 PM
nice pick for KC

Yung Flippa
01-02-2008, 05:13 PM
Solid Ravens pick, Malcolm Jenkins would be nice too. Solid Texans pick, Mendenhall would also be nice.

Eaglez.Fan
01-02-2008, 05:40 PM
Okay, the eagles line wasn't that abd this year. And Baker is a LT while Runyan is a RT. Still a good pick but bad explanation.

BeerBaron
01-02-2008, 06:25 PM
so only 1 qb is drafted in the entire first round huh...

i think your just a falcon fan sick of me giving them ryan so you stuck him on the bears. i dont want him. im a woodson fan if they have to go QB...

RaiderNation
01-02-2008, 06:34 PM
one of the Longs sounds good for me

Caddy
01-02-2008, 06:35 PM
Sorry but Linebacker is not a day one need for the Buccaneers. Tampa has a back-up WLB already waiting in the wings who was drafted at the top of round 3 last year.

jdb1972
01-02-2008, 08:54 PM
Carolina doesn't have an empty OLB spot; Davis and Beason are two of the past three drafts' #1s, and Diggs just got extended three years at weak side. Diggs was probably as good as Davis this year, which was a pleasant surprise.

As far as holes on the Carolina D, they have two before cuts: RDE and FS. Free safety (Fox will tell you there's no difference between FS and SS in their system) will probably be filled with the usual veteran waiver wire garbage they always seem to like. RDE could be an early draft pick, or they could be content to let McClover and Johnson fight for the spot (assuming Rucker retires).

Beans
01-02-2008, 09:03 PM
Sorry but Linebacker is not a day one need for the Buccaneers. Tampa has a back-up WLB already waiting in the wings who was drafted at the top of round 3 last year.

quoted for truth

thebow305
01-02-2008, 10:07 PM
ughh... dorsey will not be the pick... itll be either chris long or vernon gholston

eaglesalltheway
01-03-2008, 10:52 AM
Good Eagles pick considering who is available, if Phillips was available I would say go for him, but it seems as though the Eagles will have to trade up to get him.

urinemonkey
01-03-2008, 11:03 AM
Ellis isn't really a run stuffer. I'd much rather see Denver take Phillips.

d34ng3l021
01-03-2008, 01:38 PM
Good pick with McFadden, but I think Jake Long would be a better pick.

johbur
01-03-2008, 08:46 PM
GB might go OL, but not with a guy like Oher, unless they think he can drop some weight. They have been choosing OL that weigh around 300 pounds and are athletic and fast enough in space to get their shoulder pads in front of the defender to cut block them.

neko4
01-04-2008, 07:20 PM
GB has a ton of young OL already, no need for a first rounder

toddmlazarchick
01-04-2008, 08:03 PM
a so so redskins pick.....Jackson or Campbell are better valued picks.

Milky-Tit-Juice
01-04-2008, 08:30 PM
OK Vikings pick. WR is a need as is a returner but we need a WR that is big probably either Kelly or Bowman in the first round.

ancoin
01-05-2008, 09:44 AM
OK Vikings pick. WR is a need as is a returner but we need a WR that is big probably either Kelly or Bowman in the first round.

I think DeSean would be great. T-Will is gone and we need someone who can strech the field and give us a playmaker treat. He would help us open the 8-9 man fronts we have seen.

IMO Great vikings pick!

Milky-Tit-Juice
01-05-2008, 10:44 AM
I think DeSean would be great. T-Will is gone and we need someone who can strech the field and give us a playmaker treat. He would help us open the 8-9 man fronts we have seen.

IMO Great vikings pick!
While this is true, DeSean Jackson has a smaller frame than the ones that hold my baby pictures. He will get lit up in this league, if they can catch him that is.