PDA

View Full Version : Who should be the new D Cooridinator?

Bengals78
01-02-2008, 08:10 PM
My choice is Ron Rivera or Mike Singletary if possible. I think those two guys would be best bet.

PalmerToCJ
01-02-2008, 08:14 PM
Singletary in a heartbeat but I doubt he'd take it.

No to Rivera because of his Cover 2 setup, nothing we're set up to do or should do... I don't think he's that great anyway.

If Rex Ryan doesn't take a HC job somewhere he is a MUST. Don't care what the cost, our players have seen his defenses and I love the different setups he uses.

Other than that I really don't have anyone I favor, it'll be more of a wait and see then learn about them after hired unless some more are rumored.

Gay Ork Wang
01-02-2008, 08:15 PM
I doubt Mike Singletary is starting the next season not as a HC

I_C_DeadPeople
01-02-2008, 08:17 PM
I think Singeltary is an assistant HC? Therefore, he can only move to the HC job.

Bengals78
01-02-2008, 08:18 PM
Im just assuming Ryan is gonna be tied up as a HC either in Baltimore or elsewhere. But yeah if he isnt, we need to pursue him like no other. I will write letters to the man if I have to

Bengals78
01-02-2008, 08:21 PM
yeah but he is also in SF. No offense because I am a fan of theirs. Maybe not a fan but respect them because we cant beat them in a super bowl. But they are a long ways out and the Bengals are on the brink of playoffs

PalmerToCJ
01-02-2008, 08:27 PM
From the Bengals.com article they list the following as potential:

Rex Ryan
Donnie Henderson
Tim Lewis
Kevin Coyle (secondary coach)

I would much rather hire from outside, I think it's best to promote from within when you're coming off of success... Eases the transition but we need new blood.

Lewis has had success, don't know much about Henderson. Please, please, please make Rex Ryan not get a HC job and come here.

Bengals78
01-02-2008, 08:34 PM
I would be highly upset if Coyle gets promoted. I think he is doing a fine job with our young DBs. Lets leave it at that. Everyone pray Rex Ryan.

derza222
01-02-2008, 08:42 PM
Donnie Henderson was solid with the Jets the one season he was with us. Really was able to fire up our guy and if I'm correct did a great job adjusting at the half. I was very disappointed when we didn't retain him after bringing in Mangini as the head coach but while he was with us (before we hired Mangini so 2 years ago I guess) he was great as a DC in his one year. Very aggressive which I think would work wonders for you guys with your strong young secondary. Speaking of the secondary, does it look like White and Ndukwe will be starting next year?

Bengals78
01-02-2008, 08:55 PM
Ndukwe will most likely start. White is a toss up. Didnt see as much of him as i hoped

PalmerToCJ
01-02-2008, 09:18 PM
Very interesting on Henderson, sounds good to me.

You'd have to think Chinny will get the start, coaches have been ravving about him since mini camp and he did well out there this year.

I'm still not sure if we'll even keep Madieu. White didn't look bad out there which is great for a rookie.

themaninblack
01-02-2008, 09:53 PM
chinny and white could be a fantastic duo.

Damix
01-02-2008, 10:12 PM
Tim Lewis will make your defense suck even worse.

And yes, its possible.

PalmerToCJ
01-03-2008, 11:35 AM
The '06 MNF game vs. the Colts is easily the worst defensive scheme ever devised in the history of football... It cannot be topped.

Too bad for Breshnahan he started to get aggressive towards the very end, that's what we needed. Now that we've got the corners we can afford to send that extra guy.

rickscott
01-03-2008, 12:08 PM
I actually think Ryan is a real longshot and Henderson seems to have been brought in more as an adviser so I bet it does end up being Lewis. If that happens, does that mean a 3-4 is likely? I think we would be set at LBer if Thurman comes back. Not that we couldn't always use improvement but Jeanty, Henderson, Brooks and Geathers all provide real good size in the area of 250-260 range and if we can plug Thurman in there we'd be looking pretty good for awhile. Now where is that 330 lb NT?

Why the Bengals
01-03-2008, 12:56 PM
I live in the NEw York and see Jets/Giants games all the times. These guys are nice position coaches not great coordinators. If they are so good why is it no one else thinking about them? We need a guy that will change this defense. A guy unlike Marvin who will give the D an identity, swagger and attitude. Go spend big bucks on Ryan! DO NOT HIRE FROM WITHIN!! Ryan is the answer

themaninblack
01-03-2008, 02:45 PM
i'd be very surprised if we got ryan. he just seems out of reach even if mikey somehow would give him a big salary.

PalmerToCJ
01-03-2008, 08:46 PM
Definetely don't hire from within, that would be terrible. Not much out there to be had, I'm always a fan of LB coaches getting promoted to DC but I don't know of any good ones out there.

And I agree that Ryan probably won't happen but it's worth dreaming about. He'll probably get a HC job and if not I would be surprised if we were the highest bidders.

Bengals78
01-03-2008, 09:47 PM
What about Ray Hamilton the Dline coach from the Jags? I dont know much, but he seems like he could really help us fix our biggest issue
I think we might go outside the box and higher an unknown or atleast unknown as a coordinator. Like a former pro or something.

PalmerToCJ
01-03-2008, 09:52 PM
Don't know a thing about him but that's the kind of hire I would actually like to see. Instead of getting some washed up coach who we know what we're getting into I'd rather take a chance on a high energy guy that knows his way around a defense but hasn't been a DC. Marvin has said he can't run the defense which is understandable but he could guide a LB/Dline/Secondary coach into becoming a good D coordinator.

Bengals78
01-03-2008, 09:57 PM
Im trying to think feesable coaches aside from the Rex Ryan dream. I was looking at teams that seem to have stable and successful defenses yearly and Jacksonville was what came to mind. Or maybe the LB coach from Pittsburgh whose name evades me right now.

Hines
01-04-2008, 10:55 AM
Falcons defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer has emerged as a new candidate to replace fired Bengals defensive coordinator Chuck Bresnahan.

Zimmer is still under contract with the Falcons, but was given permission by the team to pursue other opportunities while the Falcons' coaching situation remains in flux.

Thought you guys would enjoy this.

rickscott
01-04-2008, 11:04 AM
The latest on Bengals.com mentions that if all works out; Ryan is who Marvin wants. We could all celebrate.

PalmerToCJ
01-04-2008, 11:58 AM
Yeah, here's the quote:

And look for this thing to play out for a couple of weeks. With no immediate interviews seemingly on tap, could that mean that Rex Ryan looks to be Lewis' guy and the Bengals are simply waiting?

There could be a contractual hangup for Ryan, the highly-regarded Ravens defensive coordinator who worked under Lewis for three seasons in Baltimore and led the Ravens to a No. 1 and No. 5 ranking during the last three seasons in Baltimore.

That would just be so completely sweet. I loved watching the Ravens defense play, I think Ryan could really take advantage of some of our players with his various schemes.

The only drawback with hiring him is how much it would shoot my hopes up for next year haha.

Thanks for posting that up Hines, I haven't been able to find much info on candidates other than Bengals.com which is lame.

PalmerToCJ
01-04-2008, 05:31 PM
On the news they just said Zimmer may be coming in for an interview.

Also that rumblings are still that Ryan is the top choice but there are obviously strings attached. Basically said it'll probably be a while.

PalmerToCJ
01-05-2008, 12:23 PM
Dom Capers mentioned on Bengals.com, it's also being reported that Zimmer was indeed interviewed yesterday.

Everything I've read to this point has Ryan as the favorite and I'm guessing they'll wait it out to see what happens to him first.

themaninblack
01-06-2008, 12:30 AM
getting ryan would be huge. it would be a good job for him to take aswell. he's getting a young defense with some talent that he can add to and they are opposite of a very high powered offense. hopefully he doesn't want to be a HC.

PalmerToCJ
01-06-2008, 07:47 PM
The beauty of it is although he'd likely only be around a year or two his ideas could still rub off on our position coaches. Then (if successful obviously) we would be able to promote from within. Plus, I think the one real problem with this defense is confidence more than anything.

There's a reason we can plug guys in our offense and they all the sudden do well for the same reason the Ravens can put anyone at LB and be successful... Confidence.

Hopefully these coaching jobs fill up quickly. I'm hoping Sporano to Miami, Marty to Baltimore and someone other than Ryan to Atlanta. I'm more than sure we'll at least give a push for Ryan, that's obviously not to say we'll get him if he remains a DC but there's a pretty decent chance IMO. This would be better than signing any top defensive FA IMO.

Quote stolen off another board:
According to Curnutte in today's paper, Ryan will be interviewing for the Atlanta job soon. He (Curnutte) says that the Bengals are willing to wait to see how that shakes out. If he doesn't get the job they want to interview him for our vacancy. Therefore there probably won't be a decision made until later next week.

Despite Ryan being fired from Baltimore, due to his 1 year left on the contract the Ravens could block him from coming here. Wouldn't be great PR but it would be understandable.

Why the Bengals
01-07-2008, 08:35 AM
Another name I was thinking of is Monte Kiffin from Tampa. I believe his contract is up and rumors persist he might join his son in Oakland. This guy can coach D. I do not know if his philosophy fits with Marvin's and the Bengals players but change could be a good thing if they can't get Ryan.
I think the D needs a big name with a big rep to get the players confidence and believing in the system he will put in. I think the team is still void of leaders and immature to follow a coach with no experience.

rickscott
01-07-2008, 10:38 AM
I'd like to see the Raiders axe Rex Ryan to throw another name into our options but now it seems unlikely

PalmerToCJ
01-07-2008, 11:15 AM
Yeah Kiffin wouldn't work here, it'd be wasting the talents of Johnathan Joseph and Hall to a certain extent.

It has to be a base 3-4 or 4-3 guy, we don't have the players to move to a cover 2 or Tampa 2.

Why the Bengals
01-11-2008, 10:31 AM
This draft looks real deep at many positions. I hope the Bengals get some extra picks by trade to capitalize on it. We need more defensive talent and building through the draft is the right way to build depth and skill. Hopeful our scouting department picks some winners.

PalmerToCJ
01-11-2008, 11:42 AM
I hope our GM knows what he's doing... Oh wait.