PDA

View Full Version : Scott, I have a question...

Smokey Joe
01-02-2008, 09:01 PM
What is your view on RB for the Bears? Benson so far has been a disappointment but the QB and OL play did not help him out much. He looked good in his previous 2 years but the OLine play was much better and Thomas Jones was there. As I recall, you were a big fan of his and thought he was a sure thing in the 05 draft. Would you consider him a bust now, or do you still think he has the potential to be a feature back for the Bears? Also, do you think that maybe the Bears should look RB first day in the draft?

I personally still have hope, but I want to see what you think... others can reply to this question as well ;)

Scott Wright
01-02-2008, 10:32 PM
I was a huge fan of Benson's when he was coming out and still think he can be a good NFL running back. Looking back it was a mistake to deal Thomas Jones but at the same time they have much bigger concerns than running back right now.

Once they get a quarterback, rebuild 40% of that offensive line and find another wideout then we can talk about upgrading Benson.

EDIT: Just to clear up I mentioned wideout because Bernard Berrian is going to be a free agent. If they re-sign him that would obviously lessen the need there.

toonsterwu
01-02-2008, 10:38 PM
I tend to think RB is about on level with WR in regards to our focus/needs, and that S is probably on par with both of those. The staff's high support for Devin Hester is what leads me to feel that way. I really wasn't a big fan of Benson coming out, but I thought he'd be a decent starter. That said, by most accounts, he's gotten bigger and doesn't have the pop he used to, which is definitely a negative.

I think our draft plans will be heavily impacted by our FA moves. We'll likely make one or two signings, which may reduce needs at other key positions.

Halsey
01-02-2008, 10:43 PM
One thing that scared me about Benson before he entered the NFL was the amount of carries he got in college. I think Scott mentioned that in his scouting report. If I was running a draft I would be very wary of RB's with a lot of carries in college. Mike Hart is someone that I would be wary of in the upcoming draft.

DaBear89
01-02-2008, 10:50 PM
out of all our needs, i think RB can be the easiest solved. we dont need to outright replace Benson we just need a very capable back to challenge/push him and switch things up a bit. i'ld love to sign Julius Jones in the offseason as he doesn't have the inflated price tag like others do this year

BamaFalcon59
01-03-2008, 03:46 PM
[http://assets.chicagobears.com/UserFiles/Image/story_photos/Wolfe_inside083107.jpg

Give him the ball!

regoob2
01-03-2008, 04:46 PM
^ I actually like what I saw from Wolfe this season, IMO he's #2 on the depth chart come 08.

pellepelle_10
01-04-2008, 02:21 AM
One thing that scared me about Benson before he entered the NFL was the amount of carries he got in college. I think Scott mentioned that in his scouting report. If I was running a draft I would be very wary of RB's with a lot of carries in college. Mike Hart is someone that I would be wary of in the upcoming draft.

I wouldn't stress it as much as many think. While many guys have become later problems we have also seen many of the latest great rushers have heavy college workloads as well.

Steven Jackson
Ricky Williams (before he lost it)
LaDainian Tomlinson
Deuce McAllister
Tiki Barber
Marshall Faulk

DiG
01-04-2008, 07:45 AM

lost it!?!?! http://www.ldstalk.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/gestures.nownow.gif

Iamcanadian
01-04-2008, 08:33 AM
I wouldn't stress it as much as many think. While many guys have become later problems we have also seen many of the latest great rushers have heavy college workloads as well.

Steven Jackson
LaDainian Tomlinson
Deuce McAllister
Tiki Barber
Marshall Faulk

When you add in the fact that Benson had 2 years when he road the bench with Chicago, I don't think overuse was the problem.