PDA

View Full Version : Jamaal Charles

evershot
01-02-2008, 09:48 PM
Since he has declared he is going pro. Where do you guys see him being drafted? I like his speed but he's not as consistent enough between the tackles. Sort of reminds me of Blair Thomas.

Texas Homer
01-02-2008, 10:12 PM
I think he runs a 4.31 at the combine and blows away the scouts. He def. needs to improve his running in between the tackles and he needs to work on securing the ball more, but I think he sneaks into the 1st round.

Scott Wright
01-02-2008, 10:33 PM
To be honest I guess I didn't even realize the type of production he had this year. 1,600+ yards and like 17 TD's...

Assuming all of the underclassmen we think will come out do I see Charles as a 2nd or 3rd rounder.

jbeans187
01-02-2008, 10:35 PM
Can he return kicks/punts?

foozball
01-02-2008, 10:36 PM
i think he's a solid 2nd rounder right now with the chance to move up with his combine numbers

1st round
DMC
Stewart
Mendenhall

2nd round
Felix
Charles
Davis
Rice

3rd round
All the crappy seniors

Matthew Jones
01-02-2008, 10:45 PM
I think he'll be a late first rounder, actually, but once more running backs and underclassmen declare, he might move into the second. I don't think he gets past there, though.

PACKmanN
01-02-2008, 11:40 PM
wow, this guy is nothing more then a speed back who wont carry the load, he should have stayed for one more year and get more exposure so his stock would have gone up further.

DaBear89
01-02-2008, 11:49 PM
how many "speed" backs can carry the load? you find one who can, and you should redefine them as "elite" backs.

foozball
01-02-2008, 11:51 PM
wow, this guy is nothing more then a speed back who wont carry the load, he should have stayed for one more year and get more exposure so his stock would have gone up further.

like chris henry from arizona right?

sarcasm

if henry can be taken in the 2nd round, charles can go pretty high. especially if he weighs in around 210lbs and runs a 4.35 or so. he definitely has the upside to be an every down back

PACKmanN
01-02-2008, 11:55 PM
like chris henry from arizona right?

sarcasm

if henry can be taken in the 2nd round, charles can go pretty high. especially if he weighs in around 210lbs and runs a 4.35 or so. he definitely has the upside to be an every down back

Henry hasn't even proven anything but being a bust. Charles need a lot of work, he needs to add weight(he listed at 190), and he was never a pass blocker. A team like the Seahawks might take a reach at him to be a 1-2 with Alexander, but I don't see many.

Sportsfan486
01-02-2008, 11:56 PM

I have to disagree.. he got quite a few carries this year, averaging about 20 per game. That's a rather good number and it's not really a run oriented team; pretty balanced.

His size, 6'1 205-210 pounds isn't what you'd like to see but he definitely has the frame to add a little more bulk, maybe 10-15 pounds, without losing much speed.

Hugely productive this year when he finally got the spotlight, but also looked great in his first two years (especially his Freshman year.)

Incredible speed... unless he tries to bulk up for the combine he's got a legitimate shot at a 4.2 time, low 4.3 at the worst.

When you carried the ball 20 times a game with eye-popping production in college, have at least manageable size and run a 4.2 to low 4.3 you tend to get drafted in the first round. Things are strange like that. :P

Oh, the other thing that impresses me was his consistency this year! He only had ONE *bad* game and even then had 90 some yards of offense.

The only problem I see is if Felix Jones declares Charles might ceiling as the 4th best back and suddenly there is just nowhere for him to go in the 1st. I like him better than Felix but he may not have the same versatility which could be something that a team like Dallas, with an established #1 back, values more than a proven featured back. I either see him going to Dallas in the 1st or dropping to the early 2nd.

foozball
01-03-2008, 12:10 AM
Henry hasn't even proven anything but being a bust. Charles need a lot of work, he needs to add weight(he listed at 190), and he was never a pass blocker. A team like the Seahawks might take a reach at him to be a 1-2 with Alexander, but I don't see many.

i was commenting on the fact that you said he needed to stay to up his exposure. henry hardly played at all, wowed at the combine, and went in the 2nd round.

he's up around 205lbs right now since giving up track if not more

evershot
01-03-2008, 12:12 AM
I think what will really help is his stock is if he can show if he can catch the ball out of the backfield. I see him as a very good space player and I'm sure a creative OC will be able to put him into their game plans.

D-Unit
01-03-2008, 12:16 AM
I have to disagree.. he got quite a few carries this year, averaging about 20 per game. That's a rather good number and it's not really a run oriented team; pretty balanced.

His size, 6'1 205-210 pounds isn't what you'd like to see but he definitely has the frame to add a little more bulk, maybe 10-15 pounds, without losing much speed.

Hugely productive this year when he finally got the spotlight, but also looked great in his first two years (especially his Freshman year.)

Incredible speed... unless he tries to bulk up for the combine he's got a legitimate shot at a 4.2 time, low 4.3 at the worst.

When you carried the ball 20 times a game with eye-popping production in college, have at least manageable size and run a 4.2 to low 4.3 you tend to get drafted in the first round. Things are strange like that. :P

Oh, the other thing that impresses me was his consistency this year! He only had ONE *bad* game and even then had 90 some yards of offense.

The only problem I see is if Felix Jones declares Charles might ceiling as the 4th best back and suddenly there is just nowhere for him to go in the 1st. I like him better than Felix but he may not have the same versatility which could be something that a team like Dallas, with an established #1 back, values more than a proven featured back. I either see him going to Dallas in the 1st or dropping to the early 2nd.
I don't think you guys realize how fast 4.2 speed is. You talk as if guys run it all the time. Until I see it, I can't believe Charles is that fast.

I don't think there is a corner or wide receiver in the draft that will run a 4.2.

jbeans187
01-03-2008, 12:19 AM
I don't think you guys realize how fast 4.2 speed is. You talk as if guys run it all the time. Until I see it, I can't believe Charles is that fast.

I don't think there is a corner or wide receiver in the draft that will run a 4.2.

He won the big 12 100m in 10.23, im not saying he will run a 4.2 but he will be very close

Sportsfan486
01-03-2008, 12:33 AM

No, I do.. but.. he's a track star. He finished 4th in the 60m NCAA championship finals. Won the Big 12 100m. Was leading and probably would have won the 200m. 60m and 40 yard aren't the same, obviously, but they're not terribly far off.

I'm not saying a 4.20 here but a 4.28/4.29 seems realistic for someone with those track skills to his credit, no? Do I think he'll run that fast? No, I'm betting on a low 4.3. Could he? If anyone has a shot this year, he does.

foozball
01-03-2008, 12:36 AM
what would be more impressive? staying at his current 6'1 205lbs and running 4.25 or bulking up to 215lbs and running 4.35?

WCH
01-03-2008, 12:44 AM
IMO, definitely bulking up to 215 and running a 4.35. Either way he would most likely be the fastest RB in the draft, or at least extremely close to it.

In one situation he is the fastest RB in the draft and will be tagged "has a frame to carry more weight, but is currently too small to carry the load."

In the other he'll be the fastest RB in the draft and have a "great size/speed combination."

energizerbunny
01-03-2008, 12:50 AM
he'll be in that high 4.3 range, I'll have to watch some more tape on him, but my impression of him in previous years is he has always been a better athlete than football player and is more of a track guy. From what I remember he isn't a very successful runner up the middle and breaks quite a few long runs because of his speed.

Is this still true? I haven't seen him play yet this year.

D-Unit
01-03-2008, 12:55 AM
IMO, definitely bulking up to 215 and running a 4.35. Either way he would most likely be the fastest RB in the draft, or at least extremely close to it.

In one situation he is the fastest RB in the draft and will be tagged "has a frame to carry more weight, but is currently too small to carry the load."

In the other he'll be the fastest RB in the draft and have a "great size/speed combination."
I think Chris Johnson and Anthony Alridge are faster.

jasonatchley
01-03-2008, 03:39 AM
J Charles is most likely the fastest man in college football this year. He ran an electronically timed 10.1 100m. I think the only other guy close to him is the guy from LSU. J Charles ran the 60m .5 seconds faster than Michael Huff who ran the 40 in 4.35. After playing in the 2006 Rose Bowl, M Huff stated that J Charles is much faster than R Bush and is the fastest back he has ever played against.

He will no doubt run a 4.3 and could run a 4.2. I would be shocked if there is anyone faster than him in this year's draft. His speed is WORLD CLASS. He could be a pro sprinter if he chose to be.

But that is where people have JC all wrong. He is a running back with world class speed not a sprinter playing football. He is fluid and bends at the hips. He makes people miss in small spaces and contrary to what most think, he is at his absolute best running in between the tackles. He is like a whisk of smoke in there. He is a north-south runner who can make tacklers miss in the hole, bounce off and spin off defenders and then take it to the house. He is not a reggie bush type who wants or needs to take it to the outside. he is a great inside runner. he just isnt a road grader.

he also has great hands out of the backfield. he has been used this way ever since UT's 2005 national championship year. He was the starter as a true freshman that year and his catches out of the backfield most likely won or kept UT in the game against Ohio State. His wheel route against Iowa last year was awesome.

He has an ideal frame. 6'1 210 lbs and should be able to naturally add a few more pounds over the years without losing speed. He is not a small back.

he also is an every down back. he carried the ball on average 20 times a game for UT this year and was at his best during the games when he carried 20+. He is not a third down back or change of pace guy. He is a running back that gets better and better every time he touches the ball. It took some time for UT to figure this out but once they did, he dominated and gained over 1000 yards in 5 games. His YPC over his career is 6.3 with over 500 carries in 3 years. He is 4th all time leading rusher in UT history behind Ricky, Ced and Earl. The guy has all the numbers, production and style you could ever want from a running back.

if he had come back and had an ever better year next year, he would have been a top 10 pick. he received a mid first round grade from the NFL advisory board so he decided to come out.

I wish him all the best in the NFL.

Jason

Buffalo M
01-03-2008, 05:42 AM
I can think of worst stabs in Round 2 than Charles. He is lightning when turning the corner. If doubts persist about his durability inside, then throw him swing passes.

The point is, Defenses would have to account for him, opening it up for other skill players.

HorusKing
01-03-2008, 11:49 AM
I think Charles is a borderline 1st rounder and when he turn in that 4.2 40 yard dash he will cash in. Remember he was one of the fastest track athletes in college I think he will run between 4.22 & 4.28.

Macarthur
01-03-2008, 12:00 PM
I'm somewhat in between the doubters and the Horns fans.

I don't think he's a 25 carry a game guy, but he got some unique skills. He's a stronger runner than he gets credit for. He's not just a track guy. The thing I love about him is his running style. He is a glider and his legs don't look like they're moving that fast, but he just runs away from everyone. He almost always gets the corner.

I don't know if he will run a 4.2, but If there's ever been a legit 4.35 guy, he's it.

Macarthur
01-03-2008, 12:01 PM
I think Chris Johnson and Anthony Alridge are faster.

That would be one hell of a race. I'd pay money to see that!

01-03-2008, 12:25 PM
Hes very underrated in many aspects. He was given the load this year and did a lot more than some may have expected at first and still somewhat flew under the radar. Should we be surprised? No, hes been electric and very productive when handed the opportunity since his freshman season. I actually believe he will be one of the most talked about guys at the combine and will probably help his stock as much as anyone. Once its all said and done he will find his way into the first round.

jasonatchley
01-03-2008, 01:13 PM
I did some research and here are the results of each player's personal best:

---------------------- 60m ---------------------- 100m---------------------

Jamaal Charles --------6.65 -----------------------10.23 -------------------

Chris Johnson ---------6.83 -----------------------10.35 -------------------

I cant find any data on Anthony Alridge.

comahan
01-03-2008, 01:19 PM
He definitely isnt just a track guy. The guy can break tackles and run hard and in between the tackles. Trouble is, hes inconsistent.

But when he's on, hes amazing.

Like I said in another post, he was up and down all year, was benched for some fumbles, and so on, and still had 1600 yards and 18 TD.

And hes money in the 4th quarter.

I see him as an early to mid 2nd.

SuperKevin
01-03-2008, 01:50 PM
It seems some scouts disagree with the NFL Advisory Panel and feel Jamaal Charles is a 3rd round pick at best.

http://www.star-telegram.com/329/story/387615.html

BeerBaron
01-03-2008, 01:54 PM
It seems some scouts disagree with the NFL Advisory Panel and feel Jamaal Charles is a 3rd round pick at best.

http://www.star-telegram.com/329/story/387615.html

as much as I'm usually against this thought process, 40 times really can be the difference in a skill position player going a round higher or lower..

if he burns it up, watch for him in the late 1st round. if not, 3rd at best

01-03-2008, 02:39 PM
He would certainly be an intriguing pick for the Cowboys on the first day.

D-Unit
01-03-2008, 03:11 PM
I did some research and here are the results of each player's personal best:

---------------------- 60m ---------------------- 100m---------------------

Jamaal Charles --------6.65 -----------------------10.23 -------------------

Chris Johnson ---------6.83 -----------------------10.35 -------------------

I cant find any data on Anthony Alridge.
That's very interesting. Nice research.