PDA

View Full Version : Scott, your thoughts on the Vikings

giver17
01-02-2008, 11:06 PM
I was just wondering what you thought about the situation the Vikings are in right now. How do you feel about T-Jack, and his future with this team, who should we go after in the free agency and, also, what is the most you feel Chester Taylor would be worth in a trade if we chose to turn AD into a feature back?

Scott Wright
01-02-2008, 11:31 PM
* Tarvaris Jackson - He has some tools that are very enticing. Quick release, strong arm, good athlete. However, he has a lot of issues with his mechanics and does a lot of dumb things when it comes to ball security and turnovers. If the Vikings had even gotten average player out of the quarterback position this year they would have won 2-3 more games and been in the playoffs. If I am them I do whatever it takes to land Donovan McNabb if he's available, outside of dealing the 1st rounder. As a Plan B I would look at Chad Pennington. If they go with Jackson again next year you can expect a similar type of 7 or 8 win season in my opinion.

* I think Taylor would probably be worth a 3rd round pick in a trade, MAYBE a 2nd. I wouldn't trade him if I were them though. He is signed to a reasonable deal and Peterson still has those durability issues.

diabsoule
01-02-2008, 11:54 PM
And that answers that.

swagger
01-03-2008, 02:42 AM
* Tarvaris Jackson - He has some tools that are very enticing. Quick release, strong arm, good athlete. However, he has a lot of issues with his mechanics and does a lot of dumb things when it comes to ball security and turnovers. If the Vikings had even gotten average player out of the quarterback position this year they would have won 2-3 more games and been in the playoffs. If I am them I do whatever it takes to land Donovan McNabb if he's available, outside of dealing the 1st rounder. As a Plan B I would look at Chad Pennington. If they go with Jackson again next year you can expect a similar type of 7 or 8 win season in my opinion.

* I think Taylor would probably be worth a 3rd round pick in a trade, MAYBE a 2nd. I wouldn't trade him if I were them though. He is signed to a reasonable deal and Peterson still has those durability issues.Thanks for that, I agree with it all...

Obviously, he has some tools and has flashed some potential. But I believe he is the type that should have not seen the field the first 2-3 years of his career. He was a project and probably should have followed the career path of Tony Romo (sit on the bench for 3-4 seasons). Definitely, he is not a guy that should begin starting games his rookie year and get the treatment of a 1st round pick NFL-ready quarterback.

Totally agree about winning 2-3 more games with even an average quarterback. What really startled me was at the end of the year during the playoff push, defenses really started to play deep cover-1's with a single deep safety and single coverage in the secondary, and Tarvaris either couldn't make the proper reads and/or execute.

I don't think the Eagles will trade McNabb, personally. I'd like to see us nab Pennington and have an open competition, even if it means Childress will have to curb his ego and admit his guy isn't the best option.

Regardless, the Vike's need a competent and capable, legitimate backup quarterback... which is something that Childress has neglected for two seasons. Mike McMahon and then scrambling to trade for Brooks Bollinger in year one, Brooks Bollinger and then scrambling to trade for Kelly Holcomb in year two. It's pretty telling that we had to scramble to trade for guys that would have been cut...

Crazy_Chris
01-03-2008, 09:28 PM
Well lets not forget there were 4 games that Jackson didn't even start and we lost all 4 of them so a good back-up QB is definatly a need but who knows what our record would be now if Jackson had played in those games I think we would have won 1 or 2 of them.