PDA

View Full Version : Joe Flacco YouTube video

Farva
01-03-2008, 04:07 AM
Just a few clips I threw together. This is by no means "Joe Flacco's best throws" or anything like that, I don't even have all the games, but just wanted to give the people that haven't seen anything on him yet a little something. Nothing fancy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxW_RdJjtos

The Legend
01-03-2008, 11:31 AM
he look like Derek Anderson

Scotty D
01-03-2008, 11:38 AM
I like that TD at the start where he moves up in the pocket and throws on the run. His escapability is very impressive. He has that Romo esque make something out of nothing when all hell is breaking loose. This is of course a highlight reel though and I'd like to see his interceptions and just more of his game. He has really good accuracy though, but you also have to worry about level of competition.

D-Rod
01-03-2008, 11:44 AM
Is it just me, or is his angle of delivery somewhat odd?

JT Jag
01-03-2008, 12:37 PM
Is it just me, or is his angle of delivery somewhat odd?It's about 2/5ths quarter sidearm. Not perfect but not bad, and it won't have to be changed when he hits the pros.

regoob2
01-03-2008, 12:38 PM
He gets all day to throw and yes he delivery will lead to sailed throws. He needs to change his release point or he's gonna throw a lot of picks.

49er Fan #1
01-03-2008, 03:42 PM
Seems to have a powerful arm, but needs to work on mechanics a little

Smokey Joe
01-03-2008, 03:50 PM
pure stud...

d34ng3l021
01-03-2008, 09:41 PM
I just watched a highlight tape of him and he looks pretty solid. Can anyone give me a scouting report of him? He looks accurate and has a great arm, but seems to stay in the pocket for a while, and somewhat stare down his receiver.

Thanks.

regoob2
01-03-2008, 09:46 PM
Flacco is turning into Jordy Nelson part 2.

toonsterwu
01-04-2008, 02:39 AM

I don't think that's really a fair comparison. There's a lot of love coming for Flacco. Certainly, Nelson has risen from a few months ago, but not to the extent that Flacco has. No disrespect to the Nelson fans on this board, but they've probably overdone it a bit and the love for Nelson, who has risen, isn't as widespread as the intrigue people have with Flacco's upside. Part of it is positional. QB's will get intrigue. That said, a lot of the love for Flacco is coming from a lot more "established" areas though, and I think many folks consider Flacco a top 5 QB this year. Certainly, I'm sure there are those that still don't buy it. I like Flacco. I've said he'd be my personal number 1 QB (not that I expect him to go that high, just my personal list). Certainly, things to work on, as there's a small hitch in the delivery, IMO, from what I've seen, which worries me a tad more than his release point, although that's a bit of a concern as well. Rocket arm and gets the ball out of there, and his athleticism is better than stated. Needs time, i've said it before, but some of the windows he gets in the FCS aren't going to be there in D-I let alone the NFL. In other years, there's probably minimal talk of Flacco sniffing round 1. It's not really a normal year, in some respects (thin top, iffy QB class at the top, but if as many juniors leave as expected, you could see talent from, say, #8 or so down to the early 2nd have minimal, minimal difference).

WildDude
01-04-2008, 02:42 AM
why did pittsburgh ever let him go!? haha they certainly dont have anyone better now or last year for tha matter, Bill Stull isnt this guy

PACKmanN
01-04-2008, 03:49 AM

more like that TE from Delaware in last year draft. I don't understand how a qb can be taken high if they need work on there mechanics....look at Rodgers as an example, he feel because he needed work on his, and same with many... Don't be surprised if he fell.

Farva
01-04-2008, 06:27 PM
more like that TE from Delaware in last year draft.

That TE is now starting for the Cardinals and has a couple TDs.

I think sometimes the NFL overthinks things like the level of competition.

The last four years I've picked out a I-AA guy I had seen play and said "This guy will make it in the NFL." 2005 was Jerome Mathis who fell to Day 2 and went to the Pro Bowl as a rookie, 2006 was Marques Colston who fell to the 7th for reasons beyond my comprehension, 2007 was Ben Patrick who also fell to the 7th for God knows why.

If Flacco falls to the second day, I'll just be that much more confident of his future success.

gangGREENinsider
01-04-2008, 06:48 PM
why did pittsburgh ever let him go!? haha they certainly dont have anyone better now or last year for tha matter, Bill Stull isnt this guy

Apparently, Wannstedt "begged" him to stay...

D2 competition or not- Flacco's sticking some throws into tight windows(the throw that sticks out most to me is the seam route in between three defenders around 2 minutes in) At Delaware, he also had like 5 drops a game...

It's the Cutler phenomenon...correct or not...

But I do love the kid. His pocket presence, size, and arm strength are all at or near the top of the class...

Farva
01-04-2008, 08:08 PM
Interesting tidbit: In his two years at Delaware, Flacco never had a senior wide receiver to throw to. Our starting receivers in 2008, barring injury, will be the same as our starters in 2006. So while we like our receivers here, they're still improving and definitely dropped a number of passes. It's too bad Flacco won't be around next year with us stacked at WR and TE, especially since we open with Maryland.

Farva
01-04-2008, 08:09 PM
And Pitt definitely didn't want Flacco to leave. They even refused to release him from his scholarship even though he transferred down a division, so Flacco paid his own way at Delaware while running the scout team in 2005.

CARDIAC CAT 7
01-05-2008, 01:44 AM
Nice Tape, havent really seen much of him, I can see why scouts like him. I think his release is ok, and how fast he gets rid of the ball, I dont think anyone will mess with it too much. Hopefully somehow he can work into the senior bowl.

soybean
01-05-2008, 02:23 AM
he looked good.

NDfootball
01-05-2008, 02:37 AM
Flacco has the two things you cant teach, a big arm and great size. The mechanics definitely need work, but they're not awful. I think he would really benefit from a few years as a backup. Someone said he was reminiscent of Derek Anderson, and I like that comparison. I would say Flacco is a 4th-5th round guy with the upside of a starter. I can imagine a team picking him earlier if they fall in love with the measurables though.

PACKmanN
01-05-2008, 04:56 AM
That TE is now starting for the Cardinals and has a couple TDs.

I think sometimes the NFL overthinks things like the level of competition.

The last four years I've picked out a I-AA guy I had seen play and said "This guy will make it in the NFL." 2005 was Jerome Mathis who fell to Day 2 and went to the Pro Bowl as a rookie, 2006 was Marques Colston who fell to the 7th for reasons beyond my comprehension, 2007 was Ben Patrick who also fell to the 7th for God knows why.

If Flacco falls to the second day, I'll just be that much more confident of his future success.

Mathis went to the pro bowl as a KR/PR nothing more, imo he got drafted were he should have, in the fourth round, Pope got injured so Patrick starting, and Colston was a TE in College. If you thought that Colston had a chance in the NFL then there are 31 other teams waiting to hire you.

Also not only did Ben Patrick get released and resign because no one wanted him but he has done nothing to be worth a third round pick like many thought....

also some of these throws he made could have been picked off in higher competition or in the NFL.

Buffalo M
01-05-2008, 09:09 AM
Very impressive. He spells Poise with a Capital P, which some other highly touted QB's don't have yet.

Farva
01-05-2008, 02:09 PM
If you thought that Colston had a chance in the NFL then there are 31 other teams waiting to hire you.

I wish there were. He wasn't a tight end at Hofstra, people were just projecting him as a tight end because they didn't know what they were talking about. They saw his size and "Hofstra" and thought "Gee, this kid looks like a tight end project. Since he's at a lower level, he's probably underdeveloped and could put on 30 pounds." When in reality, he was a sick wide receiver and that was that.

After he tore it up at the East-West game, I was running my mouth about "no later than the fourth round" and I felt like an idiot when he fell to seven. Same with Patrick. Oh, well.

ljk2171
01-05-2008, 04:04 PM
I don't particularly like this QB class, I think there are some decent options, but you won't find a Peyton Manning, Donovan McNabb, or Carson Palmer type prospect in this draft. I thought the Flacco-Derek Anderson comparison was pretty fair.

oldLibid21
01-05-2008, 05:09 PM
Joe Flacco's been the quarterback that's been the most impressive this year, and I think he'd be considered better than any of the first rounders (maybe not Matt Ryan) if he played for a big-time school instead of a 1-AA like Delaware.

WildDude
01-05-2008, 05:53 PM
well rich gannon one of the NFL greats went to Delaware so that definately helps and ben patrick really isnt a good comparison cause he did play alot and started for Duke i believe

bspen4
01-06-2008, 04:43 PM
Do you think he will be available when the Chiefs 2nd rounder rolls around?

ljk2171
01-06-2008, 04:54 PM
Yes, the top three (Ryan, Brohm, and Woodson) aren't all going to go top 20. One of them will fall to the end of round one or the beginning of round two. So I would expect Flacco to go middle of round two at the earliest and end of round three at the latest.

Smokey Joe
01-06-2008, 04:57 PM
A lot of people see Woodson falling, but of the big 3, I see Ryan the one taking a big drop. I see some team falling in love w/ Woodson's upside, and teams shying away from Ryan basically because he doesn't offer a whole lot except "intangibles".

ljk2171
01-06-2008, 07:23 PM
A lot of people see Woodson falling, but of the big 3, I see Ryan the one taking a big drop. I see some team falling in love w/ Woodson's upside, and teams shying away from Ryan basically because he doesn't offer a whole lot except "intangibles".

I agree completely.

Paranoidmoonduck
01-06-2008, 07:35 PM

I agree with this, and I've been toying with the idea of Ryan falling to the 2nd round in my latest mock draft. Of course, it's going to depend on what teams end up targeting quarterbacks.

falconsrule
01-07-2008, 01:39 PM
The thing I notice about Flacco is that he took all the snaps in the shootgun formation so im guessing he would have to work on taking the snap directly from center but besides that he looked decent.

art vandelay
01-08-2008, 01:10 PM
I wasn't all that impressed, actually. I think alot of you are overestimating his escapibility and athleticism. He seems too slow and will not be able to make the plays he made in college against much faster ends and LB'ers in the NFL.

SRK85
01-08-2008, 04:56 PM
So how does he compare to Andy Hall? Better or worse.

Farva
01-08-2008, 05:03 PM
So how does he compare to Andy Hall? Better or worse.

As a Delaware fan, I never thought Andy Hall was going to be an NFL QB. He was one of the toughest kids I've ever seen and a great college QB, but he just didn't have the tools.

Flacco has the tools.