PDA

View Full Version : Will Rams take the other Long?

KCStud
01-03-2008, 03:33 PM
Seems to me like they have bigger problems on their DL to take Jake Long. Seems like Chris Long is the better option. Leonard Little is 33 and their first round pick last year, Carriker, got hurt. Seems like with the return of Orlando Pace next season, they could get a DE instead of an OT.

AlexDown
01-03-2008, 03:34 PM
Wonder why a KC fan would think that.....

PossumBoy9
01-03-2008, 03:45 PM
The Rams take Gholston or Chris Long, IMO.

I doubt they'll take a guy who doesn't even really project to be a LT in the NFL at #2 overall.

Thread Killer
01-03-2008, 09:03 PM
With the 2nd pick in the NFL Draft the St. Louis Rams select Vernon Gholston, DE, Ohio State.

Or Chris Long DE, Virginia.

Jake Long won't even be an option.

Not only do they like Carriker at UT, Little is 33-34, coming off an injury, and has about a $7 million roster bonus due in March.

The other starter James Hall produced 2.5 sacks for the $3 million salary got and is in danger of being a cap cut if he doesn't take a paycut (And 2 of his sacks were against Ogden's backup when the Rams were blitzing and whomever plays LT for the 49ers).

Iamcanadian
01-04-2008, 09:13 AM
With the 2nd pick in the NFL Draft the St. Louis Rams select Vernon Gholston, DE, Ohio State.

Or Chris Long DE, Virginia.

Jake Long won't even be an option.

Not only do they like Carriker at UT, Little is 33-34, coming off an injury, and has about a $7 million roster bonus due in March.

The other starter James Hall produced 2.5 sacks for the $3 million salary got and is in danger of being a cap cut if he doesn't take a paycut (And 2 of his sacks were against Ogden's backup when the Rams were blitzing and whomever plays LT for the 49ers).

Since I believe Miami will take Gholston before either Dorsey or Chris Long, I think you'll see Dorsey in a Ram's uniform next year.

keylime_5
01-04-2008, 09:48 AM
I'm skeptic about St.Louis taking J.Long over C.Long or Dorsey. Where would Jake play until Pace retires? Barron is their future left tackle, they can get a future right tackle elsewhere. Chris Long playing with Carriker and Leonard LIttle would be a good thing for STL.

picklefork
01-04-2008, 10:18 AM
Being in STL, we have already beat this topic to death and we havent even reach the day to declare.

So yea, it going to be a long draft season in STL, so many problems, a lame duck head coach, a team on the verge of being sold, a front office with no football GM and a President who lives on the other side of the country and is only doing the job b/c his friend asked him to.

Its a mess and the Rams draft like that too...a mess

In the end trading down and picking up a 2nd or 3rd rounder makes the most sense considering the needs, but the Rams arent that smart...so they will stand pat and pick at #2

If Chris Long is there....he will be a Ram...that is what you hear out of the Rams beat writers who at Rams Park all the time (i.e. Jim Thomas).

Jake Long is a fine player, but Pace is only 32, Barron besides not being able to count and remember the snap is a decent NFL RT.

So with dire needs at DE, MLB, SS, WR and Center.....taking a 3rd tackle at #2 would be like putting 2,000 rims on a Yugo.

Rams are also moving to 3-4 in 2008....so keep that in mind with your selections.

BeerBaron
01-04-2008, 10:25 AM
Since I believe Miami will take Gholston before either Dorsey or Chris Long, I think you'll see Dorsey in a Ram's uniform next year.

gholstons possible but i see chris long as a bill parcells kind of guy...

anyway, i agree that the rams probably wont take jake long unless orlando pace were to retire or something....

with a healthy pace at LT and a healthy alex barron at RT, theres simply no where for long to get in and play right away. and they're a team with too many needs to take a guy whos going to be benched

etk
01-04-2008, 10:26 AM

Dorsey? The Rams just took a UT in the 1st round last year.

Thread Killer
01-04-2008, 09:06 PM
Dorsey? The Rams just took a UT in the 1st round last year.

http://bellevillenewsdemocrat.typepad.com/ramblings/
DT-DE Adam Carriker, first round:
Carriker started out at nose tackle, but ended up playing every position on the defensive line. Rams coach Scott Linehan noted that Carrikerís best future position is the three-technique DT, though itís likely that the Rams will continue to move him around to take advantage of his versatility. Carriker had some ups and downs this season, but he looks like the real deal. He should quickly develop into a solid player. Having played mostly at DE in college, heís still learning the nuances of playing DT. Heís also learning how to fully utilize his strength and leverage.

Yeah, unless they move Carriker, Dorsey will only see Rams Park from the visiting locker room.

With the 2nd pick in the NFL draft, the St. Louis Rams select................Vernon Gholston, DE, OSU.

kingjames
01-04-2008, 09:53 PM
Miami, unless they can trade, will go either Long IMHO but more likely Chris. Dorsey No, McFadden no.

Chris IMHO if he shows bulk that Parcells wants in a DE can play two-gap and pass rush, rather special skills for a guy so young and something Miami is sorely lacking. How many other impact 3-4 DE are there in this draft? Zip. How many LT, a few.

The Miami OL in addition was not as bad as the D in Miami. So why go OT when there are plenty later in the draft. Essentially at 32 Miami can get a franchise caliber LT or kick butt RT.

So, if the Rams want Jake, I think he will be there. Don't think Chris is there unless Miami trades (which is possible).

But ? to Rams fans -- why go either Long at #2? You need LB and CB help. You need Tackles. Let someone else grab a Long or a McFadden or a Dorsey. Trade and use the extra picks at LB or CB or WR.

I think the 2-4 picks are just as valuable trade bait as the #1 this since there is no consensus QB at the #1.

PossumBoy9
01-04-2008, 11:40 PM
But ? to Rams fans -- why go either Long at #2? You need LB and CB help. You need Tackles. Let someone else grab a Long or a McFadden or a Dorsey. Trade and use the extra picks at LB or CB or WR.

CB isn't really a need for the Rams, not a high priority one at the very least. They could use a SLB.

DE is the primary need for St. Louis. The Rams are guaranteed at #2 overall to have a shot at either Vernon Gholston or Chris Long, and I think one of them will be the pick.

NGSeiler
01-05-2008, 01:16 AM
Being in STL, we have already beat this topic to death and we havent even reach the day to declare.

So yea, it going to be a long draft season in STL, so many problems, a lame duck head coach, a team on the verge of being sold, a front office with no football GM and a President who lives on the other side of the country and is only doing the job b/c his friend asked him to.

In the end trading down and picking up a 2nd or 3rd rounder makes the most sense considering the needs, but the Rams arent that smart...so they will stand pat and pick at #2

If Chris Long is there....he will be a Ram...that is what you hear out of the Rams beat writers who at Rams Park all the time (i.e. Jim Thomas).

Jake Long is a fine player, but Pace is only 32, Barron besides not being able to count and remember the snap is a decent NFL RT.

So with dire needs at DE, MLB, SS, WR and Center.....taking a 3rd tackle at #2 would be like putting 2,000 rims on a Yugo.

Rams are also moving to 3-4 in 2008....so keep that in mind with your selections.

Sums it up pretty well, but I don't think a move to the 3-4 as a base defense has been confirmed for 2008.

indyfan1985
01-06-2008, 09:03 PM
Nah the Rams need to take Jake Long with their pick. Orlando Pace is nearing the end of his career and they were decimated on OL this year. They already drafted a DL high last year in Adam Carriker. If they were for some reason to go DL it should be Glenn Dorsey instead if he was there.

PossumBoy9
01-06-2008, 09:23 PM
Nah the Rams need to take Jake Long with their pick. Orlando Pace is nearing the end of his career and they were decimated on OL this year.

Why would they "need" to take Jake Long, though? They can get better value at OT later.

It might be a different story if Jake Long was an elite left tackle prospect.

VAfy-ya
01-06-2008, 09:50 PM

Well being a Niners fan.....and a UVA fan, hopefully Nolan and Scotty Mac could put together some picks to and move to your spot. Even if we are in the same division, we could both benefit in the Long run(pun intended).

IMHO, Long is the missing piece to make our defense scary good. Our pass rush is horrible to say the least, but if we could move up a nab Long, he makes the whole front seven better. Groh says that if he were still a NFL coach that he would move Long to OLB in a 3-4 once he turned pro so he wouldn't get worn down like he would playing DE in a 4-3, and that's just where I envision him......another Merriman(big, athletic, strong, fast and with a terrific motor). I doubt Long will play in the Senior Bowl, if he does, Nolan will be there again coaching(this makes 3 years straight) to get a up close and personal look at CL. But a LBs corps including Long, Willis, and Lawson would be insane! But I fear Parcells will nab CL with the first pick. Groh and Parcells are long-time buds and Groh has been singing the praises of Chris Long to anyone who will listen for 2 years now.

adschofield
01-06-2008, 10:47 PM
I'm skeptic about St.Louis taking J.Long over C.Long or Dorsey. Where would Jake play until Pace retires? Barron is their future left tackle, they can get a future right tackle elsewhere. Chris Long playing with Carriker and Leonard LIttle would be a good thing for STL.

I agree...It seems insane for STL to pay big bucks for 3 1st round tackles

WMD
01-06-2008, 10:59 PM
STL would be smart to go with Chris Long, if he's there.. and then an OT in Round 2.

I don't buy Miami taking Gholston #1 at all. I can't see it happening. I'd almost guarantee it!

757Dawg
01-07-2008, 12:19 AM
Vernon Gholston #1 overall? Heh..

Don't get me wrong; Gholston is a monster. He's the type of individual whose stock will skyrocket through workouts as he's an unbelievable physical specimen.

But the first pick of the draft? Don't get carried way.....

PossumBoy9
01-07-2008, 01:32 AM
Vernon Gholston #1 overall? Heh..

Don't get me wrong; Gholston is a monster. He's the type of individual whose stock will skyrocket through workouts as he's an unbelievable physical specimen.

But the first pick of the draft? Don't get carried way.....

Even in this year's draft, which I'm sure nobody thinks is strong at the top?

NGSeiler
01-07-2008, 11:31 AM
They already drafted a DL high last year in Adam Carriker.

...who is playing DT, meaning you can still spend a first round pick on a DE like Long in an effort to shore up your DL for the future. Did the Houston Texans not just spend two first round picks on DL the last two years?

If they were for some reason to go DL it should be Glenn Dorsey instead if he was there.

LOL, why? As you pointed out, they just drafted Carriker and he's playing inside at tackle. If they need DL it's at end where Little and Hall are aging and they have little depth.

gsoturf
01-07-2008, 01:21 PM
I agree...It seems insane for STL to pay big bucks for 3 1st round tackles

It may seem insanse but considering pace has started around 8 games in the last two seasons it may just be worth it.

BTW for the poster who said the Rams are switching to 3-4 next season I have read nothing about that in the post or any other local sources. If we did switch to 3-4 what linebackers do we possible have that could actually play that. All we have is small cover 2 linebackers like Witherspoon and Pisa. The fact that we will most likely be losing Brandon Chillar doesn't help either.

I do however see the Rams taking Chris Long in the first and going after O linemen in the 2nd or 3rd rounds.

george_allen
01-07-2008, 07:37 PM
Seems to me like they have bigger problems on their DL to take Jake Long. Seems like Chris Long is the better option. Leonard Little is 33 and their first round pick last year, Carriker, got hurt. Seems like with the return of Orlando Pace next season, they could get a DE instead of an OT.

let's flip the question -
if jake long is available at the second pick, do you think kansas city would be motivated to trade up to get him ?

kmartin575
01-08-2008, 12:20 AM
let's flip the question -
if jake long is available at the second pick, do you think kansas city would be motivated to trade up to get him ?

Nope we have too many needs.