PDA

View Full Version : 3 round, no-trade

toonsterwu
01-03-2008, 04:39 PM
Juniors considered (thus, hopefully, avoiding any “did you consider” comments, obviously some of these will go and some won’t, and there will be others that go):

QB – No one.
RB – Darren McFadden, Jamaal Charles, Rashard Mendenhall, Jonathan Stewart
TE – Cornelius Ingram, Martellus Bennett, Brandon Pettigrew
OT – Ryan Clady, Michael Oher, Phillip Loadholt, Anthony Collins, Franklin Dunbar
WR – Desean Jackson, Malcolm Kelly, Mario Manningham, Devin Thomas, Davone Bess, James Hardy, Mario Urrutia, James Banks, Taj Smith
OG – Duke Robinson, Branden Albert, Chilo Rachal, Alex Fletcher
C – Alex Mack
DE – Vernon Gholston, Derrick Harvey, Calais Campbell, Phillip Merling, Johnny Dingle
DT – Fili Moala, Terrance Taylor
LB – James Laurinaitis, Jerod Mayo, Curtis Lofton, Erin Henderson, Marcus Freeman, Geno Hayes
CB – Malcolm Jenkins, Aqib Talib, Justin King, Victor Harris, Darren Banks, Christopher Owens
S – Kenny Phillips, William Moore, Patrick Chung
K/P –

Quick three round mock, no trade. Next mock likely won’t happen until 1/15 and
declarations. I’ll ponder adding a 4th/5th to this, but I tend to not do that until compensatory picks are announced.

1. Miami

There’s a rumor of Maurice Carthon floating around, and I’m not sure what to think of that exactly. I think the Dolphins will be rooting hard for the Raiders to win the coin toss, as I think that may give them their best shot at a trade (with the Falcons). That said, this is a no-trade mock. A lot of possibilities exist in a year where there isn’t a standout guy for the first overall spot. The name of the game for Parcells has always been versatility, and I’d imagine that Ireland would hold similar feelings. With Al Groh selling Chris Long as a potential 3-4 OLB, this may be the route they go. Long has the hunger, desire, and work ethic that Parcells might desire. The versatility is there. He can be a 3-4 end, akin to Phil Hansen perhaps. He can be a 3-4 OLB, perhaps akin to Vrabel or Greg Ellis. He could even slide inside on 40 fronts in passing situations.

Miami Dolphins pick: OLB/DE Chris Long, Virginia

2. St. Louis Rams

Their decision on this pick may rest with two veterans. Orlando Pace is rumored to be thinking about retirement. Perhaps not this year, but it seems to be something in the back of his mind. Leonard Little is aging and his contract has 2 years left. It’ll be worth watching to see what happens with their scouting department and who is their GM/decision maker on personnel. I think Vernon Gholston would be the right move here, but if Little is there, it seems more likely that they wait on the young edge guy as they have some time to develop them. I don’t like this nod, but the nod goes to Jake Long as someone who is best equipped to step in at guard next year and potentially slide out to a tackle spot in a year or two, whether it be to take Pace’s spot, or Alex Barron’s spot, as Barron only has 2 years left on his deal and hasn’t exactly torn it up.

St. Louis Rams pick: OT Jake Long, Michigan

3. Atlanta Falcons

If McFadden is there, I don’t think this will take that long. Sure, Dorsey and Ryan could get some thoughts, but McFadden would be the franchise back, the back to give them a controlled run game to play to their defense, the guy to give regular fans hope.

Atlanta Falcons pick: RB Darren McFadden, Arkansas

4. Oakland Raiders

The Monte’ Kiffin talk is certainly interesting. It makes some sense, to the extent that their safeties have struggled and moving to a cover 2 may help in that regards. They have some pieces in place for it, but they are lacking that dominant interior player. While OT/RB may get consideration, if McFadden is off, I think they’ll wait on those spots on account of the system. WR lacks value here, and a dominant interior player is as much a need as an end, and Dorsey has better value.

Oakland Raiders pick: DT Glenn Dorsey, LSU

5. Kansas City Chiefs

Sedrick Ellis would be quite tempting here. But I’m not sure Ellis would be the guy to get them to pass on OT. They desperately need help there and there’s solid value. Ryan Clady gets the nod as someone that can step right in at LT.

Kansas City Chiefs pick: OT Ryan Clady, Boise State

6. New York Jets

Some of their preferred options may be off the board, but Vernon Gholston gives them that potential top edge pass rusher that they’ve been seeking. They still need to rework the lines.

New York Jets pick: OLB/DE Vernon Gholston, the Ohio State

7. New England Patriots f/ San Francisco 49ers

Gholston would’ve been tempting. Laurinaitis or a CB? The lean, considering the no-trade, is to fill the position where age is creeping in.

New England Patriots pick: LB James Laurinaitis, the Ohio State

8. Baltimore Ravens

Ravens fans won’t like this. I think there’s a good chance Matt Ryan is the top value on the board here, and as intriguing as Troy Smith is, you can’t bank your future on him just yet. Sure, there are secondary concerns, but a good one can likely be found early round 2. If Suggs leaves, that opens up a big hole on the defense, but other than that, there aren’t that many pressing, absolutely must fill that spot in the first round needs for the defense. Offensively, they seem liable to give their current guys like Gaither and Terry a shot at replacing Ogden, if Ogden retires.

Baltimore Ravens pick: QB Matt Ryan, Boston College

9. Cincinnati Bengals

A lot of their “ideal” targets are off the board, and Sedrick Ellis could be gone in some scenarios in my mind. But he’s here, and he’s what they need, someone to help with the interior pass rush. Certainly, LB deserves some consideration, but with all their efforts to create a pass rush late in the year, Ellis may be a quick way to address the problem.

Cincinnati Bengals pick: DT Sedrick Ellis, Southern California

10. New Orleans Saints

Their secondary is still not up to snuff, and with no CB’s off, they have their pick of who to try and fill their hole. The nod goes to the immensely talented Mike Jenkins. LB could be a thought, but I don’t like Rivers here all that much.

New Orleans Saints pick: CB Mike Jenkins, South Florida

11. Buffalo Bills

If Ellis gets within shouting range, I think they make a play. They could use that dominant interior player. If not, they are in a bit of a quandary on who to take. Will a WR be worth it here that would be markedly better than a mid-2nd receiver? Does a DB make sense here? This isn’t a great spot for them. I’m really looking at three guys, Keith Rivers as the weakside backer, Kentwan Balmer as the UT, and Derrick Harvey as a pass rushing end. The development of McCargo down the stretch slides Balmer to third, so I’m thinking Rivers or Harvey here. I may hear it somewhat, but I’m going Harvey. He was downgraded on the boards, but talk is his value is still quite high as a 4-3 end or a 3-4 OLB. Yes, Kelsay is signed down, but they need to up the pass rush a bit, and weakside cover 2 LB is something that this draft has some depth with.

Buffalo Bills pick: DE Derrick Harvey, Florida

12. Denver Broncos

A lot of questions could be answered if their young DL talent develop. They could still use a DT, but it seems unlikely here. LB/S/OL? As tempting as OL is with Lepsis retiring, I can see them waiting. If they did pick here, don’t be surprised if someone like Otah is on their minds. That said, I’m going S or LB here, and the nod goes to Kenny Phillips over Keith Rivers.

Denver Broncos pick: S Kenny Phillips, the U

13. Carolina Panthers

I am working on this pick with the idea Fox returns. If he doesn’t, it opens the door up a bit. If Fox returns, it probably signals a win-now mentality, so QB may be slid down a bit. I think DT would garner consideration with Kentwan Balmer, and DE may garner thought with Phillip Merling and Calais Campbell. That said, at DE, they do have Charles Johnson from last year, along with McClover, so maybe the better route is to wait at DE and add someone later. LB seems a fallback thought. Just don’t buy it here. Same goes for DB. Yes, I know, there’s talk of Ken Lucas being cut, and I don’t know their financial situation. But with Chris Harris in one spot, they could move Lucas/Gamble to FS (preferably Gamble) and slide Marshall into the starting lineup if they wanted. OT will get long thoughts here. I expect one of them to stay, probably Gross. I’ve never bought Wharton as a LT, and they do need to add one. A 3rd OT edges out Kentwan Balmer here.

Carolina Panthers pick: OT Michael Oher, Mississippi

14. Chicago Bears

Win now, or build a new window? That’ll be a tough one to answer. Briggs is likely out the door, but replacements are on hand. S value is off. DT? Balmer? DE is unlikely, as is CB. On the other side, there’s OT, where someone like Jeff Otah will be on the board. Brohm is a thought. WR? Definitely a possibility, as Berrian is a question mark on whether or not he stays. Even a RB pop here wouldn’t stun me depending on the offseason. I don’t like this one bit, but in a no-trade, I have a tough time seeing the Bears pass on Brohm here. Speculation is increasing on the DT front, so if someone falls, that’s worth watching, along with Balmer.

Chicago Bears pick: QB Brian Brohm, Louisville

15. Detroit Lions

I’m never a huge fan of an OC and a passing game coordinator. That said, the signal is we are going to run more, while maintaining the same attack. Here’s my question – Do they have that RB to achieve this? Defensively, Harvey would’ve been nice. Merling could still be on the radar. I don’t buy Campbell here. Balmer may make some noise as well. A LB is a thought, as Rivers could slot inside. CB is likely a position that, based on scheme, they will wait on. OT is another area of concern. A lot of possibilities and while I’m tempted in a lot of directions, the best value on the board, for me, is Jeff Otah, and that’s where the nod goes.

Detroit Lions pick: OT Jeff Otah, Pittsburgh

16. Arizona Cardinals

I think the possibilities are more wide open than acknowledged. I could see them go OL if they buy value/fit here. That said, Otah went off, so it seems unlikely. I could see them go with Kentwan Balmer here as a hybrid DL talent. A RB wouldn’t stun me. An ILB or edge guy wouldn’t surprise. That said, DB is an area of need, and Malcolm Jenkins could be their free safety. They could try him at corner first as well. He might be getting overanalyzed right now.

Arizona Cardinals pick: DB Malcolm Jenkins, the Ohio State

17. Minnesota Vikings

What’s the look here? It seems clear that they are unlikely to add a young QB. Veteran QB is a different equation. Right side of the OL could be a thought. A WR is still a focus. TE is a possibility. DE might still be a thought. They have a lot of DE’s, but do they have the elite pass rusher for the scheme yet? Everything else on defense can likely wait. I’m thinking they wait on WR. Right side of OL value is a reach here (Cherilus comes to mind, along with the juniors. Thus, I’m looking TE and DE, and the athletic Phillip Merling at 6’4” 270 could be enticing.

Minnesota Vikings pick: DE Phillip Merling, Clemson

18. Houston Texans

They could still use an upgrade at LT. A RB is a need. There are defensive needs. Another pass rusher is on the radar. A better playmaking LB could garner interest. A NT is another focus area. S could use an upgrade. S value seems off right now. NT value is lacking. Pass rusher can wait. They seem liable to wait on OL on account of scheme. RB? They could wait. LB? With the failure of Ahman Green and the fact that Morlon Greenwood isn’t bad by any means, I’m leaning RB here in a no-trade even though I have my doubts at it. I’ve used this pick before, as I think Mendenhall has the best combination of power and speed out there after McFadden.

Houston Texans pick: RB Rashard Mendenhall, Illinois

19. Philadelphia Eagles

The secondary comes to mind when doing these mocks. McKelvin and Talib could both garner some level of consideration. LB doesn’t seem likely here, and same goes for DT. I can see DE, though. There’s no guarantee of Howard/Kearse returning, and both are aging anyways. The rotation left is Cole/Thomas/Abiamiri, and another body could be used. OL could use a LT thought. WR is a possibility, but based on history, I tend to think they wait (I’m assuming Reid returns). RB/QB are no, but TE could be a thought. I thought Calais Campbell here for a long time, but not sold his value is worth it here. I’m looking at OL and DB primarily, and with Winston Justice looking like a RT, and Tra Thomas closing in on the end, the nod goes to nabbing a young LT to groom.

Philadelphia Eagles pick: OT Chris Williams, Vanderbilt

20. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

OT seems less of a first round need now, although it should still garner consideration. WR is definitely a thought as youth and speed could be used. QB is a possibility, although it seems fringy to me. TE is a no. LB can probably wait, unless they love someone. DL could probably use another piece, inside or out. Secondary could use some help but they likely wait. I’m looking at Desean Jackson and Kentwan Balmer in particular, with a dash of Calais Campbell on the side. I’m wondering if I’m guessing too hard on WR for them, but that’s the route.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers pick: WR Desean Jackson, California

21. Washington Redskins

The interesting thing to watch this offseason is what happens with Todd Collins. I could see a team bring him in with the idea that he’s a stopgap. DE could be a focus, and Washington has gone to the U plenty. DT seems unlikely, and same goes for LB. S lacks value and can probably wait. CB is a need. Springs is no lock to be back, Rogers was banged up, and Smoot is not the Smoot of younger days. WR can likely wait another round, and same goes for OL … unless they cut someone. Calais Campbell or a CB? I’m more inclined to believe that a CB would have higher value here and that the Redskins may wait on DE as Phillip Daniels is a likely starter next year.

Washington Redskins pick: CB Leodis McKelvin, Troy

22. Dallas Cowboys f/ Cleveland Browns

I think folks expect them to move around, so it’ll be interesting to see what happens here. Beyond that, who’s on the coaching staff is certainly an issue. From a talent perspective, another DB could be added, even if Hamlin returns, and particularly if he leaves. LB isn’t needed. DL depth is always a thought for 3-4 teams. Offensively, OL is a thought, but rumors point to Adams being resigned. Crayton being resigned seems to weaken the possibility of WR, although it’s still a thought. A RB to pair with Marion Barber III has to cross the mind. I’m leaning CB and Aqib Talib here.

Dallas Cowboys pick: CB Aqib Talib, Kansas

23. Seattle

TE has to cross their mind. A young runner is definitely something to look to. OL could be a possibility. I’m looking more to offense here than defense, as there doesn’t seem to be a glaring defensive need that warrants first round consideration. RB or TE is tougher than I thought, but the nod goes to the oft-used Jonathan Stewart pick.

Seattle Seahawks pick: RB Jonathan Stewart, Oregon

24. Pittsburgh

Ideally, Pittsburgh would look for an OT to plug in and slide Colon over, although an OG could be on the menu as well. That’s the only offensive spot that, IMO, merits a first round focus unless they fall in love with someone. I guess WR is a fringe possibility. More DL value could be entertained. LB depth could be looked at. Secondary could be a look, but it seems more liable they wait. I’m thinking Balmer or OL here. At the end, I lean Balmer, who some are talking about as a top 4-3 UT talent, and he certainly could fit in the 3-4.

Pittsburgh Steelers pick: DL Kentwan Balmer, North Carolina

25. Tennessee

What does Tennessee do here? They need weapons for Vince Young and TE/WR could garner looks. RB seems a tad unlikely with 3 off anyways. OL could be a sleeper option here. DE could receive consideration, and depending on what happens with Haynesworth, same with DT (although value seems off). DB can wait. LB can probably wait, although if they love someone, who knows. Benji Olson is rumored to be retiring, Jacob Bell is a FA, and David Stewart is a RFA. I want to give them offensive weapons, but part of me just wonders if they go that route in the first. In a mild surprise perhaps, the nod goes to Duke Robinson to shore up any potential issues in the middle of the OL.

Tennessee picks: OG Duke Robinson, Oklahoma

26. New York Giants

He really should be off the board already. I like Keith Rivers. He was a bridesmaid on several picks earlier. If he’s still on the board, I think he’s too tempting to pass here.

New York Giants pick: LB Keith Rivers, Southern California

27. San Diego Chargers

They’ll likely look to move down on draft day in an attempt to gain extra assets, of any variety. There isn’t really a huge pressing need on the team, as AJ Smith has built good depth. WR seems unlikely. About the only offensive position that seems likely, if they only have one pick in the first 3 rounds, is OT, where they could use an upgrade to the Olivea/Clary tandem there this year (and perhaps slide Olivea in, which is where he probably should be). Defensively, they’ve resigned some DL guys which makes that seem unlikely. LB depth is there already as is CB depth. I guess they could fall in love with someone. They added Weddle last year. While I don’t think Cherilus grades this high, he is a ready RT in all likelihood and could be the nod here.

San Diego Chargers pick: OT Gosder Cherilus, Boston College

28. Jacksonville Jaguars

Offensively, WR is definitely a possibility. Defensively, they could look DE. Those seem to be the main two areas. Sleeper options could emerge, but there’s value at both spots. Nod goes to the raw but talented Calais Campbell.

Jacksonville picks: DE Calais Campbell, the U

29. Green Bay Packers

With RB a bit settled, there isn’t really a major offensive need. They could go for a luxury, say another WR/TE, but that seems fringy. OL seems fringy as well, as they have some depth unless some guys get lopped off. DT depth has been horded. So even if Corey Williams leaves, I’m hard pressed to see a pick there. DE seems unlikely as well. LB is a passing thought, but it can likely wait. They could use a DB pick. Nod goes to a CB and Charles Godfrey.

Green Bay Packers pick: CB Charles Godfrey, Iowa

30. San Francisco f/ Indianapolis

The significance of the Nolan return lies with the fact that they’ll likely keep the 3-4. Thus, we know the type of DL talent to look for. That said, value seems a bit fringy here on that. A rush backer could be a look. Offensively, considering the ups and downs of this past year, you couldn’t fault them if they looked OL again, but that seems unlikely. A big play WR is a thought, and QB has to be on the mind as well. With the WR’s having fallen this time, the nod goes to Malcolm Kelly.

San Francisco 49ers pick: WR Malcolm Kelly, Oklahoma

31. Dallas

They potentially added CB help earlier. What now? I wouldn’t rule out a 3-4 DE. WR could get a look, as could RB. Same goes for OL. The nod goes to the speedy Chris Johnson.

Dallas Cowboys pick: RB Chris Johnson, East Carolina

32. New England – forfeited

2nd Round

33. Miami

A lot of options for the Dolphins here. They could look OL. DL could be a thought. I think Parcells will look to shore up the trenches, and the nod goes to the wide body of Phillip Loadholt as an OT to develop.

Miami Dolphins pick: OT Phillip Loadholt, Oklahoma

34. St. Louis Rams

They added OL earlier. A WR pick here wouldn’t stun me. No guarantee of Bruce being back. RB wouldn’t stun either, with Jackson’s contract winding down. A pass rusher of some form is a thought. I’m going to pass on defense again and go with Mario Manningham.

St. Louis Rams pick: WR Mario Manningham, Michigan

35. Oakland Raiders

After adding an interior player, what’s next? OL/RB/WR could be offensive thoughts. A DE could garner a look. I think they are willing to wait on OL, but if someone like Sam Baker is still on the board, I think they pick him up here as Lane should know him pretty well.

Oakland Raiders pick: OT Sam Baker, Southern California

36. Kansas City Chiefs

They picked up their LT earlier. An OG wouldn’t be a bad idea, especially considering Waters could slide to C. A WR can’t be ruled out. Heck, even a QB can’t be ruled out. Defensively, a corner could be a thought. I really wonder if someone like Limas Sweed might get the attention here.

Kansas City Chiefs pick: WR Limas Sweed, Texas

37. New York Jets

Gholston should help their pass rush. 3-4 DL help is still needed. A DB can’t be ruled out. OL work is definitely a thought. A TE can’t be crossed off the list. Chris Baker’s a decent TE, but I can’t help but wonder if someone like Cornelius Ingram could excite them, particularly considering both Mangini and Schottenheimer came from teams that used the TE a lot, and Ingram’s been compared by many to Antonio Gates.

New York Jets pick: TE Cornelius Ingram, Florida

38. Atlanta Falcons

They added a franchise RB earlier. OL could get a look. A DT is a passing thought. QB is definitely still on the radar and that’s the nod here.

Atlanta Falcons pick: QB Joe Flacco, Delaware

39. Baltimore Ravens

The Ravens hope they added their franchise QB earlier. Offensively, maybe OT gets a look, but if they pass in round 1, I doubt it here. Defensively, DL is a thought. LB could be a possibility. That said, CB needs help. Antoine Cason may not have a huge upside, but he’s a ready player.

Baltimore Ravens pick: CB Antoine Cason, Arizona

40. San Francisco 49ers

They added a playmaking WR earlier. I’m looking defense here and focusing on DL help or an edge rusher. Nod goes to Quentin Groves.

San Francisco 49ers pick: OLB/DE Quentin Groves, Auburn

41. New Orleans Saints

They added a corner earlier. OL could be a thought. I wouldn’t rule out RB, although that’s probably fringy. DL is probably on the radar. A LB could draw some consideration, and safety could be a fringe thought. I could see Dan Connor as the type of player Sean Payton really likes.

New Orleans Saints pick: LB Dan Connor, Penn State

42. Buffalo Bills

Derrick Harvey could boost their pass rush. DT is a thought, but unlikely. LB and CB both could use help. A TE or WR could be on the menu. Yeah, I’ll probably get booed for this, or at least, I think I will. Well, maybe not. Some have Erin Henderson slated as a possible weakside backer and I wonder if he could excel here. That said, the nod goes to Geno Hayes, who I have bolting.

Buffalo Bills pick: LB Geno Hayes, Florida State

43. Denver Broncos

Kenny Phillips can likely address a big issue for them. LB could be a strong look here. OL could be a possibility. I wouldn’t be shocked with an offensive skill guy. Nod goes to a LB in Curtis Lofton, moving DJ Williams back to an outside spot.

Denver Broncos pick: MLB Curtis Lofton, Oklahoma

44. Carolina Panthers

Offensively, WR could be a passing thought. I wouldn’t rule our RB or QB. Defensively, DT is on the radar. I wouldn’t be stunned with a LB. That said, the nod goes to a safety here.

Carolina Panther pick: S William Moore, Missouri

45. Chicago Bears

After adding their QB earlier, OL is a possible area of focus now. WR/RB can’t be ruled out. DT is on the menu. S is a possibility. I want to go OL here, but who? Anthony Collins just doesn’t strike me as a Jerry Angelo type pick. S value is iffy here. Thus, I’m looking at a surprising positional look of DT/WR/RB. There’s a lot of rising talk on the Bears looking DT, which is understandable, as Dvoracek has missed basically 2 years due to injury, Walker was a flop, and Adams is more of a backup. The loss of Tank Johnson hurt, and I wonder if they look to Dre’ Moore here as a NT option.

Chicago Bears pick: DT Dre’ Moore, Maryland

46. Detroit Lions

They added an OT earlier. RB could be on the agenda. A TE could be on the menu. A defensive end could use some consideration. LB/CB could be thoughts. I’m leaning Erin Henderson here, although a lot of options are possible. He’d be playing the same role as his brother.

Detroit Lions pick: LB Erin Henderson, Maryland

47. Cincinnati Bengals

Ellis could help their interior pass rush. DE could get a look. LB is definitely a thought. OL could be pondered, as could WR. I’m wondering if local LB Marcus Freeman perhaps gets a look, but the nod goes to restructuring the DL with the addition of Lawrence Jackson, thus, back to back USC guys.

Cincinnati Bengals pick: DE Lawrence Jackson, USC

48. Minnesota Vikings

I think this pick is offense. It could be OL, WR, or QB. With Andre’ Woodson still hanging around, I think they might be too tempted to pass up as they have 2 3rd rounders. I’m a fan of Woodson, btw. He’d be 2nd on a personal list (with Flacco first)

Minnesota Vikings pick: QB Andre’ Woodson, Kentucky

49. Atlanta Falcons f/ Houston

QB and RB begins the rebuilding process. OL could get a look as could DT. Nod goes OL and the big Carl Nicks. Granted, we have to wait and see on coaching to see what kind of OL philosophy/style may be desired.

Atlanta Falcons pick: OL Carl Nicks, Nebraska

50. Philadelphia Eagles

DE could be a thought here. TE could get some consideration. WR is on the radar. If there is DB value, I think they have to go that route. Tough choice debating on the who here. Lean goes to Patrick Lee, but a lot of options.

Philadelphia Eagles pick: CB Patrick Lee, Auburn

51. Arizona Cardinals

They added DB help with Jenkins earlier. What now? A RB could be considered. OL is a thought. I wouldn’t rule out DL either. Some sort of LB could be an idea. Nod goes OL and the rising Oniel Cousins.

Arizona Cardinals pick: OL Oniel Cousins, UTEP

52. Washington Redskins

The secondary was addressed earlier. DE could be a thought, as could OL and WR. Chris Ellis has first round ability and could be a look here. That said, the nod goes to Jason Jones, who could get first round consideration as well.

Washington Redskins pick: DE Jason Jones, Eastern Michigan

53. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

WR was addressed earlier. DT could get some thoughts. DE could as well. CB could be on the radar. I think Gruden has never shied away from players with strong personalities, and someone like Chris Ellis might be a tempting nod here go pair with Gaines Adams.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers pick: DE Chris Ellis, Virginia Tech

54. Seattle Seahawks

After adding a RB earlier, OL and TE could get looks. I look towards TE. Martellus Bennett or Fred Davis? Two tempting possibilities. Nod goes Davis.

Seattle Seahawks pick: TE Fred Davis, Southern California

55. Pittsburgh Steelers

I’m thinking OL here. I’m wondering about Anthony Collins, starting at RT and eventually perhaps being Marvel Smith’s replacement.

Pittsburgh Steelers pick: OT Anthony Collins, Kansas

56. Tennessee Titans

WR? DE? TE? Nod goes to Martellus Bennett here.

Tennessee Titans pick: TE Martellus Bennett, Texas A&M

57. New York Giants

CB gets thought here. So could OT. WR as a sleeper nod? Hmm … not sure why I’m picking this corner to be honest, outside of value.

New York Giants pick: CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Tennessee State

58. Cleveland Browns

The defense should get a lot of focus, particularly up front. One of the biggest rumored rises right now is Ahtyba Rubin, with some talking first round for him. I’m still wary. I think I picked this earlier for Rubin. I don’t remember anything great about him, but then again, I don’t remember anything bad, and for a NT, the latter statement may be the more telling one.

Cleveland Browns pick: NT Ahtyba Rubin, Iowa State

59. Jacksonville Jaguars

They added an end earlier, and I’m thinking WR. I’ll probably hear it from the James Hardy fans. He may deserve to go a tad higher, but I’m just not sure he’s this late first/early 2nd pick that his fans suggest.

Jacksonville Jaguars pick: WR James Hardy, Indiana

60. Miami Dolphins f/ San Diego Chargers

I may hear it from Michigan fans as well. What is Terrance Taylor? I mean, 5’11” NT’s don’t occur much, for dimension reasons.

Miami Dolphins pick: NT Terrance Taylor, Michigan

61. Indianapolis Colts

I’m admittedly not too sure on this pick. I thought DT, but then I asked, who? Attention turned to OL, but is it a 2nd round necessity? A young pass rushing end perhaps? LB/CB seem unlikely, but you never know. WR? With both OG’s as FA’s, the nod goes OL where Alex Mack can play guard and eventually take over for Saturday.

Indianapolis Colts pick: OL Alex Mack, California

62. Green Bay Packers

Sure, RB probably isn’t as pressing of a need. But a raw talent like Jamaal Charles may be too hard to pass up here.

Green Bay Packers pick: RB Jamaal Charles, Texas

63. Dallas Cowboys

Early Doucet is still hanging around and might be too good to pass up here.

Dallas Cowboys pick: WR Early Doucet, LSU

64. New England Patriots

The secondary could use some help here. A smart, instinctive player like Trae Williams could be the answer.

New England Patriots pick: CB Trae Williams, South Florida

3rd Round

65. Miami Dolphins

NT, OL, OLB/DE seems like a way to restart the Dolphins. What now? QB wouldn’t shock me. RB wouldn’t be a surprise either. I wouldn’t necessarily rule out WR. I wonder about Fili Moala as a 3-4 end.

Miami Dolphins pick: DL Fili Moala, USC

66. St. Louis Rams

It’s probably time to look defense to go with the OT/WR earlier. They moved Little to DE. Could they do that with Crable?

St. Louis Rams pick: OLB/DE Shawn Crable, Michigan

67. Kansas City Chiefs

OT and WR were added. An OG could be a look here. CB could be a consideration. I’m leaning CB. I could see Harris bolting as his stock is high.

Kansas City Chiefs: CB Victor Harris, Virginia Tech

68. New York Jets

Gholston ups the pass rush and Ingram offers a safety valve for Clemens. What now? RB could garner some consideration. DL definitely needs work. CB? Nod goes to Branden Albert, who could play next to UVA teammate D’Brickashaw Ferguson, or perhaps be their RT.

New York Jets pick: OL Branden Albert, Virginia

69. Atlanta Falcons

A lot’s been added offensively. More could still be sought. Ugh. Not sure which route to go. I don’t like the DT value here. I’m leaning more offense, I guess, with John Carlson as a guy who might be Crumpler’s replacement in a year or two.

Atlanta Falcons pick: TE John Carlson, Notre Dame

70. New England Patriots f/ Oakland Raiders

Secondary and LB have been addressed. There’s some options now on which way to go. A rush backer? DL? OL? RB? I’m leaning the athletic Ezra Butler here as a guy to develop inside and out.

New England Patriots pick: LB Ezra Butler, Nevada

71. San Francisco 49ers

They added a playmaking WR potentially and a potential rush backer. DL help could be sought. But … Colt Brennan seems too tempting here to pass up. Nolan’s coming back, and considering the issues with Alex Smith this past year, their relationship will bear watching. It very well could lead to both guys being gone after next year.

San Francisco 49ers pick: QB Colt Brennan, Hawaii

72. Buffalo Bills f/ Baltimore Ravens

They could still use a NT and a CB on defense. Offensively, a WR and a TE could be sought. I’m leaning WR here with Andre Caldwell.

Buffalo Bills pick: WR Andre’ Caldwell, Florida

73. Buffalo Bills

Well, back to back picks. TE/NT/CB? Leaning TE here, as there will be some solid cover 2 corner options late ron.

Buffalo Bills pick: TE Brad Cottam, Tennessee

74. Minnesota Vikings f/ Denver Broncos

DE and QB so far. What now? A WR and TE could be looked at. Same goes for OL. DT depth is an option. Going WR here and the explosive Donnie Avery.

Minnesota Vikings pick: WR Donnie Avery, Houston

75. Carolina Panthers

S and OL have been addressed. DL could use a look if there’s talent. LB is a passing thought. WR can’t be ruled out. Nod goes to DeMario Pressley if he works out well.

Carolina Panthers pick: DT Demario Pressley, NC State

76. Chicago Bears

Brohm and Moore. What’s next? S? OL? WR? RB? A lot of options. John Greco could perhaps slide in at RT or guard, depending on what we do in free agency.

Chicago Bears pick: OL John Greco, Toledo

77. Detroit Lions

OT and LB earlier. What now? CB? DE? DT? RB? I’m thinking Lowery or DE? Nod goes to the DE.

Detroit Lions pick: DE Darrell Robertson, Georgia Tech

78. Cincinnati Bengals

The DL’s been addressed. LB could get a look. Mayo should go higher. One thing I’ll definitely have to revisit.

Cincinnati Bengals pick: LB Jerod Mayo, Tennessee

79. New Orleans Saints

Jenkins/Connor fills some defensive holes. S? DL? OL? A sleeper nod? Hmm, tossed this one around a lot, but Kirk Barton might be someone that can step in at RT soon.

New Orleans Saints pick: OT Kirk Barton, the Ohio State

80. Houston Texans

OL? DL? LB? S? Nod goes free safety here.

Houston Texans pick: S Quintin Demps, UTEP

81. Philadelphia Eagles

They added Lee and OL. S? DE? WR? Nod goes S here.

Philadelphia Eagles pick: S Patrick Chung, Oregon

82. Arizona Cardinals

Jenkins and Cousins were added earlier. A young RB? DL? A LB of some sort? I’m going with the young runner and the big Matt Forte.

Arizona Cardinals pick: RB Matt Forte, Tulane

83. Minnesota Vikings

DE/QB/WR so far. What now? DT? OT? I’m leaning OT here.

Minnesota Vikings pick: OT Chad Rinehart, Northern Iowa

84. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Ellis should help the pass rush and Jackson helps stretch the field. What now? CB could get a look.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers pick: CB Dwight Lowery, San Jose State

85. Washington Redskins

End and CB address their two biggest defensive concerns. OL? WR? Leaning WR here and the raw, but talented, Devin Thomas.

Washington Redskins pick: WR Devin Thomas, Michigan State

86. Pittsburgh Steelers

They’ve added trench help. CB? LB? WR? I’m leaning towards Beau Bell as a 3-4 ILB and 4-3 Mike.

Pittsburgh Steelers pick: LB Beau Bell, UNLV

87. Tennessee Titans

They’ve added one option for Vince. They’ve also picked up OL help to protect Vince. WR? DE? Going WR here and debating Jordy Nelson or Adarius Bowman. Leaning towards Bowman here.

Tennessee Titans pick: WR Adarius Bowman, Oklahoma State

88. New York Giants

CB/LB were added. Is it time to look offense? Perhaps a WR like a Jordy Nelson?

New York Giants pick: WR Jordy Nelson, Kansas State

89. Cleveland Browns

They added a NT earlier. Another 3-4 DL piece could be utilized. A lot of other options are possible. CB? WR? RB? I’m thinking another rush backer could be considered.

Cleveland Browns pick: OLB/DE Titus Brown, Mississippi State

90. Seattle Seahawks

TE/RB earlier. What now? OL? CB? Perhaps someone that can be developed, like a Heath Benedict.

Seattle Seahawks pick: OL Heath Benedict, Newberry

91. Chicago Bears f/ San Diego Chargers

Brohm, Moore, Greco so far. Not exactly the dream draft I had in mind for the Bears. Anyhow, S? WR? RB? Nod goes S and Tyrell Johnson.

Chicago Bears pick: S Tyrell Johnson, Arkansas State

92. Jacksonville Jaguars

They’ve looked WR/DE so far. What’s next? It isn’t the most pressing need, but a raw talent like Justin King might be too tempting here.

Jacksonville Jaguars pick: CB Justin King, Penn State

93. Green Bay Packers

He really should be off the board. Not sure why he’s still on.

Green Bay Packers pick: LB Marcus Freeman, the Ohio State

94. Indianapolis Colts

They added OL earlier. I wouldn’t be shocked if they went OL again. That said, I’m going with my own sleeper pick. They have a tendency to take guys that fit for them. I remember the Kentucky guy they took, the DL guy. Forget his name right now. I wonder if the stout, strong, and explosive Richard Clebert might draw their attention. He is raw, though.

Indianapolis Colts pick: DT Richard Clebert, South Florida

95. Dallas Cowboys

Doucet, Johnson, and Talib address some key areas and give good value along with physical potential. What now? S? DL? OL? I don’t know why I’m going this route, to be honest. He probably should’ve come off earlier.

Dallas Cowboys pick: OL Mike McGlynn, Pittsburgh

96. New England Patriots

Laurinaitis, Williams, Butler really help that defense. Another DB wouldn’t stun. DL? WR? RB? I’m leaning WR and Lavelle Hawkins, although this may be sort of a “Let’s finish this mock” type pick.

New England Patriots pick: WR Lavelle Hawkins, California

Let’s see, some names that pop to mind (stand out for me) that are still hanging around and making me wonder if I should move them into the first 3 rounds:

Mike Hart – Someone’s bound to fall in love with him and grab him in the first 3 rounds, I think.

Martin Rucker/Dustin Keller/Jacob Tamme – While I wouldn’t be surprised if someof them falls, gut feeling says at least 1, if not 2, make it into the top 3 rounds.

Robert Felton/Roy Schuening – I’m not huge on him, but they are solid guards and one of them, if not both, should have a solid grade.

Jeremy Thompson – A lot of upwards momentum with him, so I’m a bit mystified on how I let him slip.

Phillip Wheeler/Tavares Gooden/Xavier Adibi/Ali Highsmith/Cliff Avril – Some of them have to be in the top 3 rounds. I can see a couple falling, but not all.

Terrell Thomas/Tracy Porter/DeJuan Tribble – You’d imagine 1, if not 2, would be in the top 3 rounds.

Thomas DeCoud/Jamar Adams – I like both. Why aren’t they in? I could see one falling, but both?

thebow305
01-03-2008, 04:47 PM
Brad Cottam???

Are you serious???

I'm a dolphins fan... but thats just a stupid pick.

ok phins draft

toonsterwu
01-03-2008, 04:49 PM
There's been a lot of talk about Cottam moving up the boards. Some folks like his combination of size and athleticsm a lot.

BeerBaron
01-03-2008, 04:49 PM
whoa whoa whoa...

if woodsons likely to fall THAT far, the bears go Otah in round 1 and pick up a HUGE STEAL in woodson that late in the draft. I prefer woodson over brohm even in round 1.

DT is acceptable in that situation in round 2. and you got the positions right for needs in round 3 but i don't have a lot of knowledge on the players there...

but wow...give the bears otah in round 1 and woodson in round 2 in that situation.

i had to elaborate further:

if the bears did take brohm in round 1 and woodson re-fell past them.....g*damn...id be sooooooo upset. so so upset......

toonsterwu
01-03-2008, 04:51 PM
Why would I do that? That would assume that, when the Bears pick in the first round, they know who is going to be there in the 2nd round. They may be my team, but I'm not going to have my mock benefit the Bears just because I'm a fan.

bored of education
01-03-2008, 04:55 PM
Clady isa reach but is perfect for the new zbs system the Chiefs are bringing in. Sweed is a solid pick, i want to see how he does at the combine before I say that its a great pick. he could be a very solid number 2 to Bowe. Macho Harris=solid. I would like Tracy Porter more, since he doesnt get lazy sometimes like macho does. herm doesnt like lazy

comahan
01-03-2008, 04:56 PM
As you know, I personally like the Mendenhall pick.

The more I think though, the more I doubt we'll take a RB at all on day one. We have a lot of money invested into Ahman, who is good when healthy, Dayne is solid, if nothing else, and Darius Walker emerged as being a lot better then anyone thought. We also have Chris Taylor, who Kubiak loved before he was injured in the pre-season. Plus, we have arrogant broncos guys all over our staff that feel anyone can fill the running game needs.

I believe I've seen you give us Rivers before, If we dont go RB, could you see the Rivers pick happening and Morlon being moved to the Strong side? Or would you think we'd lean elsewhere?

BeerBaron
01-03-2008, 04:56 PM
Why would I do that? That would assume that, when the Bears pick in the first round, they know who is going to be there in the 2nd round. They may be my team, but I'm not going to have my mock benefit the Bears just because I'm a fan.

i understand that.but im just a fan of woodson over brohm. im kind of shocked to see him go that far really....

with the bears "win now" window still open with a healthy D and revamped oline, they can afford to take the unpolished but higher ceiling prospect woodson since they can bench him for a year behind orton or a FA and still try to win that season.

btw, fred miller has to go. immediately...im not sure a 3rd round pick can step right in though...

toonsterwu
01-03-2008, 04:59 PM
As you know, I personally like the Mendenhall pick.

The more I think though, the more I doubt we'll take a RB at all on day one. We have a lot of money invested into Ahman, who is good when healthy, Dayne is solid, if nothing else, and Darius Walker emerged as being a lot better then anyone thought. We also have Chris Taylor, who Kubiak loved before he was injured in the pre-season. Plus, we have arrogant broncos guys all over our staff that feel anyone can fill the running game needs.

I believe I've seen you give us Rivers before, If we dont go RB, could you see the Rivers pick happening and Morlon being moved to the Strong side? Or would you think we'd lean elsewhere?

Yeah, I don't buy RB there either. I like it, I don't buy it. The problem I have with Greenwood to SAM and Rivers at weak is that, well, Danny Clark was decent-solid for what was asked. That said, that might be something to revisit, as more rumors start to head out. Ideally, a DB is there, or they deal down.

PACKmanN
01-03-2008, 05:19 PM
love the packers mock. A++++++

scottyboy
01-03-2008, 05:22 PM
the first 2 giants picks are outstanding. Although I'd prefer Cason in round one, Rivers talent is way too good there and an outstanding value pick that is a position of IMO our 2nd/3rd most pressing need. Great pick.

You may say Rodgers-Cromartie is a slight reach of value, but I like the pick. Think he'd be a great fit with the Giants, and at that point, I really like the pick.

3rd round is a bit iffy to me. I'm not a Jordy Nelson fan at all. WR is a bit of a need that would be pick in rounds 2-5 to solve, but I don't like the kid that much. I think OL depth could be an option with a LG or LT, and Decoud, Safety out of Cal would be another good option.

All in all, very nice Giants pick, and another excellent read via toonster

princefielder28
01-03-2008, 05:25 PM
love the packers mock. A++++++

I like the second and third round picks but I am not a big fan of Godfrey

Scotty D
01-03-2008, 05:37 PM
First two Lions picks are very good, I would have gone another direction in the third though. I think Terrell Thomas is a great cover 2 prospect.

Could you tell me anything about Darrell Robertson though? I haven't heard much about him.

gdamac
01-03-2008, 05:40 PM
good Raiders picks

nemesis3394
01-03-2008, 05:49 PM
the only vikes pick i like is woodson...and why not campbell in the first?

BamaFalcon59
01-03-2008, 05:50 PM
Falcons-

1. Darren McFadden, RB Arkansas B+
Preferred pick- Jake Long, OT Michigan

2. Joe Flacco, QB Delaware C
I don't like him much. And round 2, almost 1 for JOE FLACCO?

2. Carl Nicks, OT Nebraska B+
Big, and we are going that direction.

3. John Carlson, TE Notre Dame F+
What? We need a lot more things than tight end. Martrez Milner looked fine before injury last year and Crumpler is not done yet. We need a future RT, challenging RG, future C, soon future MLB, maybe a SS, nickle/ dime CB, 4th/5th WR who can be a 3rd in 2 years, return specialist, backup passrushing defensive end, and competing noze tackle all more than tight end.

While most of the listed positions were for successors or backups it is more than tight end where a player might not make the roster. I like the player hence the +, but the need is not there. Also, our problem on offense is everything except the ball catchers.

Twinblade
01-03-2008, 05:50 PM
Good Falcons draft

neko4
01-03-2008, 05:52 PM
Dont know much about Godfrey, love Charles and Freeman.

Regarding the first pick, I just cant see Dorsey being passed up, I think hes far and away the best talent. Though I think Long maybe a better fit for the 34

Also cant see Woodson dropping that far, seen a few of Flacco's games, looked good, but against I-AA opponets so still a bit of a mystery to me.

toonsterwu
01-03-2008, 05:57 PM
the only vikes pick i like is woodson...and why not campbell in the first?

Largely because the talk seems to point to Calais as more of a late first/early 2nd value right now. There's a chance he has a huge workout, but some of the numbers that I've heard don't scream "workout stud". Btw, Merling is a very good athlete and might put up better numbers, relatively, than Calais. That said, I'll be the first to say the difference between the two isn't great, but Merling had a better junior year so he gets the nod.

toonsterwu
01-03-2008, 05:58 PM
Dont know much about Godfrey, love Charles and Freeman.

Regarding the first pick, I just cant see Dorsey being passed up, I think hes far and away the best talent. Though I think Long maybe a better fit for the 34

Also cant see Woodson dropping that far, seen a few of Flacco's games, looked good, but against I-AA opponets so still a bit of a mystery to me.

I like Woodson. I've said that he would be my personal number 2 QB. But I think a lot of people are waiting to see how his individual workouts go as the mechanical adjustments are often a potential indicator of bust factor. The difference between the top 4 QB's isn't as much as people suggest, though.

toonsterwu
01-03-2008, 05:59 PM
Falcons-

1. Darren McFadden, RB Arkansas B+
Preferred pick- Jake Long, OT Michigan

2. Joe Flacco, QB Delaware C
I don't like him much. And round 2, almost 1 for JOE FLACCO?

2. Carl Nicks, OT Nebraska B+
Big, and we are going that direction.

3. John Carlson, TE Notre Dame F+
What? We need a lot more things than tight end. Martrez Milner looked fine before injury last year and Crumpler is not done yet. We need a future RT, challenging RG, future C, soon future MLB, maybe a SS, nickle/ dime CB, 4th/5th WR who can be a 3rd in 2 years, return specialist, backup passrushing defensive end, and competing noze tackle all more than tight end.

While most of the listed positions were for successors or backups it is more than tight end where a player might not make the roster. I like the player hence the +, but the need is not there. Also, our problem on offense is everything except the ball catchers.

Starting backwards -

To be honest, I forgot Milner. Had I remembered, I would've done a different pick there.

I think the top 4 QB's aren't all that separated, but I think a lot of folks have Flacco as the number 3 QB right now and a potential late first/early 2nd.

Jake Long was off the board already.

D-Unit
01-03-2008, 06:13 PM
OK mock for Dallas. I think Chris Johnson could be the pick there. Talib could also be the selection despite my not liking him. Doucet in Round 2 is makes sense if he's there. Unless you're projecting McGlynn at OG, I'm not sure this selection matches. We drafted Marten in the 3rd last year to inherit the RT spot if Columbo bolts in '09. I don't like McGlynn as a LT prospect. Do you?

saintsfan912
01-03-2008, 06:14 PM
Haven't seen much of Jenkins but I love the thought of picking up Connor in round 2. Also would like to pick up Jacob Hester in round 3, would be the perfect compliment to Deuce (If we finally smarten up and make Reggie a WR) and Payton loves guys that are great football players. He will be drafted in the first 3 rounds. And Early falling that far is probably not gonna happen but who knows.

BamaFalcon59
01-03-2008, 06:16 PM
Starting backwards -

To be honest, I forgot Milner. Had I remembered, I would've done a different pick there.

I think the top 4 QB's aren't all that separated, but I think a lot of folks have Flacco as the number 3 QB right now and a potential late first/early 2nd.

Jake Long was off the board already.

I know, I was just saying what the ideal pick would be.

toonsterwu
01-03-2008, 06:28 PM
OK mock for Dallas. I think Chris Johnson could be the pick there. Talib could also be the selection despite my not liking him. Doucet in Round 2 is makes sense if he's there. Unless you're projecting McGlynn at OG, I'm not sure this selection matches. We drafted Marten in the 3rd last year to inherit the RT spot if Columbo bolts in '09. I don't like McGlynn as a LT prospect. Do you?

Actually, I was projecting McGlynn to take over for Kosier.

brat316
01-03-2008, 06:30 PM
I think the Steelers could have gone OT in the first with whats his name from boston, and then D-line in the second, and Lb or Cb in the third.

O line is a mess, losing Faneca, Center sucks, RT is leaving, LT is injured. DE is a need and so is Lb depth, Woodely will be starting and Timmons is there for inside. Depth is the only problem for Lb and DE, unless Aaron Smith decides to retire.

Cb, I think one is needed, with Taylor can't catch a ball thrown at him for ****, and Deshaw just slow.

toonsterwu
01-03-2008, 06:31 PM
Haven't seen much of Jenkins but I love the thought of picking up Connor in round 2. Also would like to pick up Jacob Hester in round 3, would be the perfect compliment to Deuce (If we finally smarten up and make Reggie a WR) and Payton loves guys that are great football players. He will be drafted in the first 3 rounds. And Early falling that far is probably not gonna happen but who knows.

The WR's did fall a bit, but that said, as much as I like Doucet (and I do, I know there has to be a post somewhere where I've said it), the talk is round 2/3 right now. That said, he's a case where a top workout might push him up, but if the junior WR's come out en masse (3 or more), as many are predicting, I can see Doucet falling.

As for Hester, I think he's more of a 4th-6th pick. Solid heady player, and a lot of people like him. But a guy like Matt Forte probably ranks ahead of him and I don't see Hester as good enough as a FB to get a top 3 round rating. Keep in mind a guy like Jason Snelling went late last year ... and skillwise, Hester isn't much better, if at all.

toonsterwu
01-03-2008, 06:32 PM
I think the Steelers could have gone OT in the first with whats his name from boston, and then D-line in the second, and Lb or Cb in the third.

O line is a mess, losing Faneca, Center sucks, RT is leaving, LT is injured. DE is a need and so is Lb depth, Woodely will be starting and Timmons is there for inside. Depth is the only problem for Lb and DE, unless Aaron Smith decides to retire.

Cb, I think one is needed, with Taylor can't catch a ball thrown at him for ****, and Deshaw just slow.

I thought about Cherilus. I did ... and I might revisit that since I had San Diego pick him up.

I just wonder if Tomlin is the type that will wait on CB if he had the sway to convince, um, who's your personnel guy right now? Name's slipping me.

D-Unit
01-03-2008, 06:35 PM
Actually, I was projecting McGlynn to take over for Kosier.
Gotta like any battle tested Big East lineman that can handle duties at all 5 OL positions. Will be interesting to see if this pick happens.

toonsterwu
01-03-2008, 06:36 PM
First two Lions picks are very good, I would have gone another direction in the third though. I think Terrell Thomas is a great cover 2 prospect.

Could you tell me anything about Darrell Robertson though? I haven't heard much about him.

Very productive, but undersized edge rusher (16 TFL/6.5 sacks). If he's over 250, it won't be by much. Long, lean, has good quickness. Think, hmm ... Gaines Adams but needs more development against the run. Granted, probably conjures up Kalimba Edwards, but with Edwards, you know what you have already. Actually, Mark Anderson might be a decent comp, although Anderson probably is a better raw athlete.

Getting back to the Vikings for a sec, I also tend to wonder if Merling has the better edge quickness that's desired for the system (in comparison to Campbell).

toonsterwu
01-03-2008, 06:38 PM
Clady isa reach but is perfect for the new zbs system the Chiefs are bringing in. Sweed is a solid pick, i want to see how he does at the combine before I say that its a great pick. he could be a very solid number 2 to Bowe. Macho Harris=solid. I would like Tracy Porter more, since he doesnt get lazy sometimes like macho does. herm doesnt like lazy

I like Porter a lot (I remember saying earlier in the year that I thought he could be a late first option). In this case, I wonder if he's physical enough for what Herm wants.

saintsfan912
01-03-2008, 06:40 PM
The WR's did fall a bit, but that said, as much as I like Doucet (and I do, I know there has to be a post somewhere where I've said it), the talk is round 2/3 right now. That said, he's a case where a top workout might push him up, but if the junior WR's come out en masse (3 or more), as many are predicting, I can see Doucet falling.

As for Hester, I think he's more of a 4th-6th pick. Solid heady player, and a lot of people like him. But a guy like Matt Forte probably ranks ahead of him and I don't see Hester as good enough as a FB to get a top 3 round rating. Keep in mind a guy like Jason Snelling went late last year ... and skillwise, Hester isn't much better, if at all.

I hear ya man. Just watching Hester week in and week out it's hard to say he isn't a first day guy. He does EVERYTHING great and gives his all every single down. He's just a football player, if you know what I mean. Great blocker, great runner (Never goes backwards, always falls forward), never gets taken down by one guy, damn good receiver, not to mention a stud on special teams. I would love to have him in a Saints uni next year. By the way, Hester was a nose tackle in high school. Frickin beast!

toonsterwu
01-03-2008, 06:42 PM
I hear ya man. Just watching Hester week in and week out it's hard to say he isn't a first day guy. He does EVERYTHING great and gives his all every single down. He's just a football player, if you know what I mean. Great blocker, great runner (Never goes backwards, always falls forward), never gets taken down by one guy, damn good receiver, not to mention a stud on special teams. I would love to have him in a Saints uni next year. By the way, Hester was a nose tackle in high school. Frickin beast!

I did have Hester loosely pegged for the late 4th, btw, if you were curious where I ended up having him.

brat316
01-03-2008, 06:46 PM
The Eagles I like the first pick at OT, with Williams he is read to play. The second pick I thought safety is a more pressing need rather than Cb depth. I thought the second and third round pick could be flip flopped. Also I was thinking about the idea of a tall possession WR for Mcnabb, if it doesn't happen with FA.

toonsterwu
01-03-2008, 06:48 PM
I might've missed something, but I thought the Eagles were decently pleased with Hank Baskett as the tall possession option. They also have Jason Avant as a possession option.

TitanHope
01-03-2008, 06:49 PM
Martellus Bennett and Adarius Bowman are both perfect. Fill needs and are great values. But, Duke Robinson in the 1st would worry me a tad. Benji Olsen will probably retire and Jacob Bell is a FA, so OL is a need. But, Robinson seems like a reach and he didn't perform well in the Fiesta Bowl. Ultimately, it would depend on the status of Bell and Olsen, but since we landed Bennett and Bowman, I'm cool with it. Dre Moore would also be good in the 1st RD as we need DT help with Randy Starks likely leaving in FA and Albert Haynesworth's injury problems.

Good Titans Draft!

JT Jag
01-03-2008, 06:52 PM
Toonster, you're too good. Far too good. It feels like every time you mock, the Jags picks get a little better.

I like all the positions. WR isn't a main concern, but I conceed that it is more then possible that we take value in the second. No way we pick a wide-out in the first round, though... unless maybe DeSean Jackson is available.

Overall, good solid draft. DE, secondary help for the future, wide-out. Well-rounded.

toonsterwu
01-03-2008, 06:53 PM
I like Dre' Moore a lot, but I'm not sure he's in the first right now. For him, it'll be an issue of meetings, I think, with folks trying to get to know him and see about him. Everyone knows the athletic ability is there. It's possible I move him back up again.

brat316
01-03-2008, 07:00 PM
How about a FB like Schmidt in the third for the eagles, maybe the 4th round but what do you think

TitanHope
01-03-2008, 07:00 PM
I'm just high on Dre Moore for the Titans, personally. Right now, I think DT may be our biggest need on defense. Of course, Free Agency will change that. But in the Titans' defensive scheme, we need our DT's to be athletic. We're not a 2-Gap defense, so big, fat DT's will not be brought in. Some mock makers give us Okam and Bryant to fill our DT need, but as I said, they don't fit. I think Moore has the ability to fill the void Haynesworth leaves when he's injured, and in the meantime, can play next to him in rotation with Tony Brown, who's more of a situational/rotational guy rather than full time starter.

It would be a reach, but I think it's a good fit and it seems Reinfeldt favors better athletes over football players.

junior2430
01-03-2008, 07:04 PM
Love the Broncos first rounder. Denver has been lacking a playmaker at S since Steve Atwater. Lynch is still good, but he's not a playmaker anymore, and is in fact a liability in coverage now.

The second rounder, Curtis Lofton. Know the name but don't know much about him. I really like Beau Bell, but how would you compare the two. I'm actually concerned with moving DJ back outside and have to go through another learning curve in the middle. By the end of the season, DJ had progressed very well in the middle. I like the versatility that Bell brings. He would be an upgrade at the SAM, or could play MIKE if they decide to go that route. What's your thoughts on the two? Also, how do you compare Philip Wheeler in there.

One more question. Where do you think Marcus Smith will go? My initial thought is about 3-4, but I think he could really fly up the boards once teams find out how fast he really is.

toonsterwu
01-03-2008, 07:05 PM
How about a FB like Schmidt in the third for the eagles, maybe the 4th round but what do you think

Sure, that sounds like a potential possibility in the 4th. I had loosely pegged a WR there.

toonsterwu
01-03-2008, 07:11 PM
Love the Broncos first rounder. Denver has been lacking a playmaker at S since Steve Atwater. Lynch is still good, but he's not a playmaker anymore, and is in fact a liability in coverage now.

The second rounder, Curtis Lofton. Know the name but don't know much about him. I really like Beau Bell, but how would you compare the two. I'm actually concerned with moving DJ back outside and have to go through another learning curve in the middle. By the end of the season, DJ had progressed very well in the middle. I like the versatility that Bell brings. He would be an upgrade at the SAM, or could play MIKE if they decide to go that route. What's your thoughts on the two? Also, how do you compare Philip Wheeler in there.

One more question. Where do you think Marcus Smith will go? My initial thought is about 3-4, but I think he could really fly up the boards once teams find out how fast he really is.

Marcus Smith, the New Mexico WR right? Nice player, could see anywhere from the 3rd-5th. Part of it depends on how many junior WR's turn pro. If a lot do, he might tumble a bit. I've heard mid-4.4's for him. Is that about what you are hinting at, or do you think he'll run better than that?

I think Curtis Lofton is a bit more instinctive and a tougher player than Bell at this point. That said, if they decided to keep DJ in the middle, then sure, I could see a Bell pick on the outside (or another linebacker). Wheeler fell out for some reason. He really should be somewhere in the 3rd. I don't think he's as instinctive and tough as Lofton is in the middle, although he's a bit more versatile.

Caddy
01-03-2008, 07:15 PM
I always love your mocks Toonster. Well thought out and address 3 positions of need for the Buccaneers. Good Job.

Matthew Jones
01-03-2008, 07:24 PM
Pretty nice job with New England.

Babylon
01-03-2008, 07:29 PM
Not just a good mock for Seattle but a great mock. Getting Jonathon Stewart, Fred Davis and Health Benedict are not only major need picks but you would be getting two potential number ones and a potential number 2. Outstanding.

Pit Bull #53
01-03-2008, 07:44 PM
I think this draft is great for Tennessee. Don't mine Duke in the 1st at all, and Bennett and Bowman are fantastic picks. Especially Bowman. He seems like he would fit Fisher's style perfectly. I thought that about Bowe last year too, though.

Babylon
01-03-2008, 07:47 PM
the first 2 giants picks are outstanding. Although I'd prefer Cason in round one, Rivers talent is way too good there and an outstanding value pick that is a position of IMO our 2nd/3rd most pressing need. Great pick.

You may say Rodgers-Cromartie is a slight reach of value, but I like the pick. Think he'd be a great fit with the Giants, and at that point, I really like the pick.

3rd round is a bit iffy to me. I'm not a Jordy Nelson fan at all. WR is a bit of a need that would be pick in rounds 2-5 to solve, but I don't like the kid that much. I think OL depth could be an option with a LG or LT, and Decoud, Safety out of Cal would be another good option.

All in all, very nice Giants pick, and another excellent read via toonster

Jordy Nelson in the 3rd is iffy?, what am i missing with this guy?

junior2430
01-03-2008, 07:54 PM
Marcus Smith, the New Mexico WR right? Nice player, could see anywhere from the 3rd-5th. Part of it depends on how many junior WR's turn pro. If a lot do, he might tumble a bit. I've heard mid-4.4's for him. Is that about what you are hinting at, or do you think he'll run better than that?

I think Curtis Lofton is a bit more instinctive and a tougher player than Bell at this point. That said, if they decided to keep DJ in the middle, then sure, I could see a Bell pick on the outside (or another linebacker). Wheeler fell out for some reason. He really should be somewhere in the 3rd. I don't think he's as instinctive and tough as Lofton is in the middle, although he's a bit more versatile.

I think he could run a bit lower than that. Probably low 4.4, maybe, just maybe a high 4.3. I think he has a ton of upside as well. Only been playing WR for a few years now. Was a RB in HS. He and Reggie Bush were both in HS in San Diego at the same time, and were track rivals, each having one a head to head competition.

jdb1972
01-03-2008, 08:30 PM
Carolina thoughts:

1) Yep, looks like Fox will be back. Yep, that means win now. Yep, that means no QB (of course, with three QBs under contract they like, one a Pro Bowler, another who just got the offensive rookie of the month, it wasn't anyway).

2) DT could be a consideration. It's a fair guess one of Kemo and Jenkins will be a cap casualty, and both the backups are UFAs.

3) LB will not be a consideration. All three starters played well (or better) this year and are now under contract for several years to come. LB depth is already okay, meaning it's not likely to be a first day pick

4) I'd like a DE, but I suspect they'll platoon McClover and Johnson. Maybe add a minor vet for the #4 spot.

5) Lucas being cut is a possibility. A strong one, I think, though a mistake as well. As for the cap, they have almost the fewest players under contract and almost the highest amount of $$$ committed already. Several someones are going to go (Jenkins and Lucas probably being at the top).

6) Fox says there's no difference between SS and FS in the Panther system. What this actually means is that they play two SSs. The only two ball hawk safeties they've had (Deon Grant and Idrees Brashir) were run out of town on a rail. Also, no chance Gamble moves to safety; he's as contact-shy as they come.

7) Oher wouldn't be a third OT. Both Gross and Wharton are unrestricted free agents as of next month. I suspect they'll hang onto Gross and draft an LT.

toonsterwu
01-03-2008, 08:36 PM
Carolina thoughts:

7) Oher wouldn't be a third OT. Both Gross and Wharton are unrestricted free agents as of next month. I suspect they'll hang onto Gross and draft an LT.

You are misreading my comment. By 3rd OT, I meant off the board (Jake Long and Ryan Clady gone already).

go_ravens94
01-03-2008, 08:46 PM
Ozzie looks like a genius if he snabs both Ryan and a top-flight CB in the first 2 rounds, but if a CB doesn't fall, Ozzie's getting it.

johbur
01-03-2008, 09:12 PM
Sign me up for that Packers draft, even with another second round RB. The other two guys are solid enough that it would be worth it.

Not a big fan of taking any RB in this draft, as I'm happy with Ryan Grant starting, back-up is Brandon Jackson (last year's second rounder who ran for 120 yards against the Lions) and Morency as the third down back. Toss in the usual assortment of UDFA guys in camp, Noah Herron and PJ Pope and there's enough competition for three spots to fill. Taking Jamaal Charles would be solid value, though, and he could compete with Grant and Jackson. I still would rather have a safety, TE or SLB. Even depth on the OL better IMO.

jetsfanrg52
01-03-2008, 09:22 PM
i like where ur head is at with the jets first pick but im not liking the second and third round choices, last time i checked we didnt have a qb......we still dont, i wouldnt be surprised if we snag someone with our 2nd or 3rd pick from that position. We could also use some d-linemen....big d-linemen!

toonsterwu
01-03-2008, 09:27 PM
Jets

The problem comes down to value in the 2nd/3rd. Yes, there is a huge need for 3-4 DL, but who. Maybe Rubin, his stock is just soaring right now and a NT is definitely needed. I'm a bit cautious on that front, as I'm still not completely sold as to why his stock is soaring. Taylor and Moala just don't seem like early 2nd picks/fits to me. Dunno ... Taylor ... what is he? 5'11"/6'0" is a bit undersized for a NT, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but you'd like them slightly longer. I know, quibbling on an inch or two. As for Moala, maybe I'm off on him. He could be that guy. There are options, but I have to wait and see on the postseason. Maybe I should've gone with Dre' Moore as a 3-4 end. That's the one I'll give most thought to.

QB - If you don't take a QB in the first, which I don't expect, I really don't expect you to take a QB at all. Clemens hasn't been great, but he hasn't been bad. They probably should've played him earlier to get an accurate gauge, but the QB's in the 2nd/3rd were Flacco/Woodson/Brennan, all of whom would need a year in all likelihood, and Clemens physically is more than capable of being a solid starter.

BaLLiN
01-03-2008, 09:44 PM
this giants mock pleases me

Number 10
01-03-2008, 09:47 PM
Not liking the Giants draft as much as some of your work in the past.

Rivers...although a fine player, isn't physical enough for my liking and I tend to think Spags likes bigger guys there as well. If we're going LB in that spot, I'd prefer Connor. However if Loadholt declares and is still available at our pick, I would not take more than 10 seconds to send in my card with his name on it. I'm really high on him.

I like the Cromartie pick...I have the Giants taking him in the 2nd in my mock as well. Have read some reports on him though...about how he is Deion Sanders-esque when it comes to avoiding contact. Not sure I like that, but his cover ability and speed is worth it.

If we're going WR...has to be someone faster/quicker than Nelson. But I would prefer DeCoud there...he is exactly what we need at safety.

doingthisinsteadofwork
01-03-2008, 09:56 PM
I dont get how both of our S's have struggled.Its more of the front sevens fault.Our S's shouldnt be having to make as many tackles as they've had this year.But getting Dorsey and Baker makes me extremely happy.Good Oakland mock.

dozshea
01-03-2008, 09:57 PM
in terms of the Jets I think Gholston in the 1st is perfect considering winding up with the #6 pick. If he isn't there I might look at Kenny Phillips at a plan B - I still get sick when thinking about the last Miami safety that the Jets passed on for no good reason (taking Bryan Thomas over Ed Reed, then taking Jon McGraw in the 2nd round, this is why Jets draft give me nightmares). Round 2 this year I think is available Early Doucet would be a really strong option. This is a weak receiver draft and with really no playmakers on offense, a WR who could stretch the field would be very helpful. The offense this year was by far worse than the defense. Also at that spot I would be thinking about the usual suspects on the DLine (Balmer, Moore, etc), Sam Baker or Andre Woodson as value guys if they fell or maybe even Jamaal Charles. Round 3 I like the idea of like a John Carlson type, who Mangini undoubtedly will fall in love with. That being said its still early on and a lot can happen.

DiG
01-03-2008, 10:07 PM
ok skins mock. i think that it is too early for leodis and the cb class is really deep so id rather go oline or de in the first cb in the second and then oline or de again in the third. or owen scmitt.

im not big on wr. caldwell has actually performed decent considering he was thrown in. i think he may be a decent #3 with an offseason to learn saunders system more. campbell and collins have been able to find receivers when they had time this year which isnt all that often.

PACKmanN
01-03-2008, 10:09 PM
the only thing about this mock is that i don't see Freeman falling to the third or coming out.

Geo
01-03-2008, 10:17 PM
Nice job as usual, toon. I look forward to digesting it all when I have time.

94. Indianapolis Colts

They added OL earlier. I wouldn’t be shocked if they went OL again. That said, I’m going with my own sleeper pick. They have a tendency to take guys that fit for them. I remember the Kentucky guy they took, the DL guy. Forget his name right now. I wonder if the stout, strong, and explosive Richard Clebert might draw their attention. He is raw, though.

Indianapolis Colts pick: DT Richard Clebert, South Florida
Ah yes, Vincent "Sweet Pea" Burns. I was never a big fan of the pick, even at the time, and he didn't stick with the team unfortunately. One of Polian's day one picks that didn't prove productive.

Interesting pick, Clebert.

Bobo
01-03-2008, 11:18 PM
I only watched Duke close once, the other night. Didn't look like a dominant type I'd spend a first round pick on. Maybe his whole body of work says otherwise, and if so, I wouldn't have a problem with the pick. BUT, I'd be very surprised. The Titans generally don't use high picks on o-line, and have gotten decent to very good guys in mid to late rounds.

Bennett in the 2nd looks good.

If Bowman was there in the 3rd, that sounds great.

Again, nice job and knowledge.

george_allen
01-03-2008, 11:18 PM
2. St. Louis Rams

Their decision on this pick may rest with two veterans. Orlando Pace is rumored to be thinking about retirement . Perhaps not this year, but it seems to be something in the back of his mind . Leonard Little is aging and his contract has 2 years left. It’ll be worth watching to see what happens with their scouting department and who is their GM/decision maker on personnel. I think Vernon Gholston would be the right move here, but if Little is there, it seems more likely that they wait on the young edge guy as they have some time to develop them. I don’t like this nod, but the nod goes to Jake Long as someone who is best equipped to step in at guard next year and potentially slide out to a tackle spot in a year or two, whether it be to take Pace’s spot, or Alex Barron’s spot, as Barron only has 2 years left on his deal and hasn’t exactly torn it up.

St. Louis Rams pick: OT Jake Long, Michigan

is there any more you can share about this rumor - source, is it because he's not healing as fast as he should be, other issues?

barron clearly has a false start problem but i thought he looked good this year and he looked particularly good on the left side. he gave up 3.5 sacks in 16 games which compares favorably to the 6 pro bowl tackles this year - and i believe a disproportionate amount of his sacks and false starts came earlier in the year while on the right side. i'll be thrilled if they re-sign gorin as well.

little's due 10mm in 2008 - something's gotta give there.

i don't like jake long there - i want gholston then chris long, i think i'd rather see them take mcfadden or dorsey than jake long - but : the more this owner/front office/coaching staff pergatory draws on for the rams the more i believe there's a possibility that linehan will do something desperate in the draft in an ill-fate attempt to spark his offense and save his career - that would include taking jake long, when what he really needs to start with is getting a bonafide oc.

34. St. Louis Rams

They added OL earlier. A WR pick here wouldn’t stun me. No guarantee of Bruce being back. RB wouldn’t stun either, with Jackson’s contract winding down. A pass rusher of some form is a thought. I’m going to pass on defense again and go with Mario Manningham.

St. Louis Rams pick: WR Mario Manningham, Michigan

this would fit right in with linehan getting desperate in april to try to jump start the offense. they just laid out most of their free agency/trade money on bennett, mcmicheal and d.hall last off-season but the way linehan unravels under pressure i could defineately see manningham go here.
in and of himself, manningham leaves me feeling unsettled, i just don't feel quite right about him. given who you have going to the rams in round one, i'd rather see chris ellis or erin henderson here but i'm just a tortured fan.

66. St. Louis Rams

It’s probably time to look defense to go with the OT/WR earlier. They moved Little to DE. Could they do that with Crable?

St. Louis Rams pick: OLB/DE Shawn Crable, Michigan

crable in round 3 would be a home run . . .
but linehan will probably look for a te here, i think he collects them as a hobby.

Terrell Thomas/Tracy Porter/DeJuan Tribble – You’d imagine 1, if not 2, would be in the top 3 rounds.

Thomas DeCoud/Jamar Adams – I like both. Why aren’t they in? I could see one falling, but both?

looks like the rams would have plenty of opportunity to pick well in round four.
i'd be content with any of those five there.

toonsterwu
01-03-2008, 11:34 PM
George Allen

There's just been murmurs, nothing substantive, that Pace isn't planning on playing for too long. I don't think it has much to do with the injuries. Didn't Pace come out and say the injuries would spur him to play next year? more speculative than anything. Barron was better as the season went on, but he does only have 2 years left. I think Gholston is the right pick there, but as of now, I just wonder if they go Long there.

I don't like Manningham. That said, if he comes out, he should go somewhere late first/early 2nd. I could see them visiting that if Bruce isn't there.

I had loosely penciled in a 4th round with DeCoud there for the Rams.

george_allen
01-03-2008, 11:47 PM
yes, early after the injury pace was quoted as saying he was frustrated by not playing and shot down the notion of him retiring after this season - but that was some time ago at this point. i was wondering if you had heard something recent that he's had a change of heart . . .

little, on the other hand, was rumored over a year ago to be looking forward to retirement after this current contract ends - but at 10mm in 2008, i could see his contract being extended past 2009 or him getting moved or cut(depending on the injury status) if he won't budge.

what is that you don't like about manningham? i just can't pinpoint what bothers me about him . . .

mcoud would be good, i prefer j.adams but any of those 5 would be a good 4th round value, no?

toonsterwu
01-03-2008, 11:57 PM
Outside of the obvious on Mario (the size/physicality issue), I just tend to think he's still a little too sloppy at times. That's me, though, and admittedly, I didn't catch Michigan much down the stretch outside of bits and pieces. Very correctable, and he could perhaps be a Torry Holt. Just needs work, and in a year with a lot of small, quick receivers, just not a huge fan (for example, I love Donnie Avery ... he really should've been in the 2nd, although I guess early 3rd isn't a big difference)

FrankTheTank
01-03-2008, 11:59 PM
no way do jets go TE in rd 2 with huge holes at OL and DL

Tampa 2 4 life
01-04-2008, 12:02 AM
A+ Bucs Mock.

Clebert: You really think he'll jump into the third? I know he has the ability to put up a 4.9 40 with 43-50 Bench Reps(If he gets a combine invite), but he's had injury issues and IMO will need to be in a rotation.

toonsterwu
01-04-2008, 12:16 AM
no way do jets go TE in rd 2 with huge holes at OL and DL

Who do you go with there? Maybe I should give Moore more thought there, along with Rubin.

toonsterwu
01-04-2008, 12:18 AM
A+ Bucs Mock.

Clebert: You really think he'll jump into the third? I know he has the ability to put up a 4.9 40 with 43-50 Bench Reps(If he gets a combine invite), but he's had injury issues and IMO will need to be in a rotation.

I think he's got an outside shot, but I will admit, I went that route in this case on account of Indy's history in going after guys that fit their style. Furthermore, it was also dragging (the time it took), and I wanted to get in some sleepers I liked, and I like Clebert. Clebert will need some time. He's a bit raw. But he could be an ideal DT for that scheme. 6'0" 305 or so right? Stout and quick.

diabsoule
01-04-2008, 12:29 AM
Do you think there is a real possibility of Conner falling that far into Round 2?

toonsterwu
01-04-2008, 12:34 AM
I think there's a solid chance of Connor falling into round 2. Now, this was a no-trade mock. I could see a team bolting for him, a la Posluszny last year, early round 2.

Vikes99ej
01-04-2008, 12:39 AM
I like the Vikings pick. Does he project well into the Cover 2?

RaiderNation
01-04-2008, 02:01 AM
great 1st pick. solid 2nd but Limas Sweed could also be considered since Porter is expected to leave

Flyboy
01-04-2008, 02:07 AM
The first & second round Saint picks were orgasmic.

Borat
01-04-2008, 02:35 AM
Loving the Niners draft Toonster. Kelly, Groves and Brennan is a nice haul. Although I think when the draft rolls around, the DL will need to be addressed. The Niners may lose all 3 of their DL starters from this past year.

toonsterwu
01-04-2008, 02:40 AM
Loving the Niners draft Toonster. Kelly, Groves and Brennan is a nice haul. Although I think when the draft rolls around, the DL will need to be addressed. The Niners may lose all 3 of their DL starters from this past year.

I wanted to get DL in somewhere ... If Rubin's rise is legit, that may make more sense.

toonsterwu
01-04-2008, 02:40 AM
The first & second round Saint picks were orgasmic.

That's a little disturbing.

toonsterwu
01-04-2008, 02:41 AM
I like the Vikings pick. Does he project well into the Cover 2?

He'd need some work, but yes, I think Merling could be a solid cover 2 DE.

01-04-2008, 02:44 AM
Awesome draft, I really like the great value on our second rounder there Baker who many insist carries a first round grade.

KCStud
01-04-2008, 02:56 AM
I would be pleased with Limas Sweed in the round 2, but I think that Herm gets Antoine Cason there. He would be perfect for the cover 2 and KC needs starting caliber CB's badly

derza222
01-04-2008, 11:49 AM
The Jets mock is really fine. You're not going to get any complaining on Gholston in the first.

Ingram in the second was an interesting pick. Most Jets fans thought we might go TE for the same reasons last year. We do like Baker at the spot and don't use him all that much, but he wants an extension so that will be an interesting situation to follow. Regardless, a safety net for Clemens would be nice and Ingram does have some nice potential, so it's tough to really argue the pick. We certainly have bigger needs but it's possible and intriguing. Moore or Rubin as you said could be interesting, depending on how much they rise. We certainly need help on the DL and I wouldn't be surprised at all for us to reach for it, especially NT although Pouha showed progress late in the season.

Love Albert in the third because of his versatility, we definitely have a big need at both spots.

Overall great mock as usual and nice work with the Jets.

jdb1972
01-04-2008, 12:17 PM
You are misreading my comment. By 3rd OT, I meant off the board (Jake Long and Ryan Clady gone already).
Ah, gotcha. Makes sense now.

All in all, probably the most well-thought-out Panther draft I've seen here.

Bills2083
01-04-2008, 02:42 PM
We have $74 million invested in Kelsay, and Schobel. If we draft a DE in round 1, I will flip! I don't want the Bills to owe 3 DEs close to $100 million.

asmitty45
01-04-2008, 02:47 PM
Not a fan of Otah, I think we'd take Jenkins in a heartbeat. Henderson is a solid pick but i'm really thinking that if lawrence jackson were to fall to the second round the Lions would be hard-pressed to take him to couple with Dewayne white at DE.

toonsterwu
01-04-2008, 02:51 PM
We have $74 million invested in Kelsay, and Schobel. If we draft a DE in round 1, I will flip! I don't want the Bills to owe 3 DEs close to $100 million.

1. The pass rush still isn't dominant enough for the scheme.

2. Who would you suggest in that spot? LB/CB certainly are need areas, but they are also areas that, more often than not, teams that run similar schemes wait on, particularly when you have two solid linebackers. 11 seems awfully high for WR for any WR. I guess it's possible, but if any WR is valued that high, I tend to think it would be Desean Jackson. I can see an outside chance of a TE working up that high so that may be something to watch. I did think long and hard on Kentwan Balmer, but with McCargo's improvement down the stretch, I leaned against it.

toonsterwu
01-04-2008, 02:52 PM
Not a fan of Otah, I think we'd take Jenkins in a heartbeat. Henderson is a solid pick but i'm really thinking that if lawrence jackson were to fall to the second round the Lions would be hard-pressed to take him to couple with Dewayne white at DE.

In regards to the first, I guess part of me still falls into the scheme thinking, in that, more often than not, similar schemed teams don't take CB's that high. Beyond the fact that Jenkins may be better off as a free safety.

Go_Eagles77
01-04-2008, 03:49 PM
I like the positions for the eagles, just not sure I like the players.

PACKmanN
01-04-2008, 03:53 PM
toonster can you explain how Freeman will fall to the third round?

toonsterwu
01-04-2008, 06:42 PM
toonster can you explain how Freeman will fall to the third round?

No not really. That was more a matter of he just slipped as I was working through it. I will say I have him as a late 2nd/early 3rd right now, but I would also fully admit that he should've gone before. By no means do I ever claim my mock is perfect on values or anything of the sort (as evidenced by my end commentary). Surprises do happen, but in this case, it just worked out that way, even though with his versatility, Freeman should go higher, if he came out.

The LB class will be interesting to watch. I do expect some "big names" to slip to day 2 if enough juniors declare (say 4-5).

Yung Flippa
01-04-2008, 07:15 PM
Okay 1st Round pick for the Ravens & i LOVE their 2nd Round pick.
Good 1st round for the Texans and okay 3rd for them, they would have both Demps on the roster.

Milky-Tit-Juice
01-04-2008, 08:39 PM
The whole entire Vikings draft is anus.

Don Killuminati
01-04-2008, 08:58 PM
I dunno why, but I keep associating Sam Baker with a move inside to guard.

Either way, with no one at all to play next to Dorsey on the D-line, Dre Moore sure would look good there. Truth be told, any DL would make a lot of sense there.

I expect Oakland will go the FA route for OLs again. Much easier and much more effective to plug-n-play OLs in this scheme than to do the same thing on a DL...especially when the team's idiot owner cockblocks the defensive coordinator from blitzing. Put Dorsey and Moore inside, and the Burgess/Clemons DE combo could do some legit damage.

toonsterwu
01-04-2008, 11:21 PM
The whole entire Vikings draft is anus.

Okay, what would you rather see in those spots, then, based on how my mock fell? Early talk is that QB/WR isn't going to be an early look for the Vikings. Granted, it's just early talk. Would you rather see a TE in round 1? Doesn't seem to fit Childress' MO, assuming he has any voice in personnel. DB isn't a need there, and neither is LB.

toonsterwu
01-04-2008, 11:22 PM
I dunno why, but I keep associating Sam Baker with a move inside to guard.

Either way, with no one at all to play next to Dorsey on the D-line, Dre Moore sure would look good there. Truth be told, any DL would make a lot of sense there.

I expect Oakland will go the FA route for OLs again. Much easier and much more effective to plug-n-play OLs in this scheme than to do the same thing on a DL...especially when the team's idiot owner cockblocks the defensive coordinator from blitzing. Put Dorsey and Moore inside, and the Burgess/Clemons DE combo could do some legit damage.

It's definitely an intriguing possibility. But with so many needs, I just have a hard time seeing them go DT back to back, without a 3rd rounder. Only time will tell.

Milky-Tit-Juice
01-04-2008, 11:59 PM
Okay, what would you rather see in those spots, then, based on how my mock fell? Early talk is that QB/WR isn't going to be an early look for the Vikings. Granted, it's just early talk. Would you rather see a TE in round 1? Doesn't seem to fit Childress' MO, assuming he has any voice in personnel. DB isn't a need there, and neither is LB.
I thought that the position you picked was fine but the player was too early. We are not going to take a QB to be the future Jackson is the future of this team and he is going to start next year. Our needs are WR, DE, TE, DB, OL. I doubt we take a QB on the first day in the draft. Maybe a QB in the later rounds like we did with Thigpen but nobody is taking over Jackson's spot. Look for the Vikes to be active in Free Agency this year aswell.

toonsterwu
01-05-2008, 12:11 AM
I thought that the position you picked was fine but the player was too early. We are not going to take a QB to be the future Jackson is the future of this team and he is going to start next year. Our needs are WR, DE, TE, DB, OL. I doubt we take a QB on the first day in the draft. Maybe a QB in the later rounds like we did with Thigpen but nobody is taking over Jackson's spot. Look for the Vikes to be active in Free Agency this year aswell.

Okay, then which DE in round 1? Derrick Harvey came off the board already and he probably would be the preference there. Calais Campbell and Phillip Merling seem to both be 2nd rounders right now with the potential to move up. Merling's really got good athleticism, perhaps even better than Calais and there are folks talking up top 20 potential for Merling, something I buy more than Campbell. I guess an outside option there could be someone like Chris Ellis, who might have the edge ability sought.

As for Woodson in round 2, I just thought that was too much value to pass on. It very could be someone else. Perhaps a WR like Donnie Avery, who is probably 2nd rounder which leads to

Avery in round 3 would be a steal. There are still folks out there talking about him as a late first possibility.

Rinehart is about where he should go. With Ryan Cook having some ups and downs, I figured RT there might be a look.

That said, I could see a TE instead somewhere.

You really think DB is a potential top 3 round need? I've got a hard time buying that unless folks are getting cut. Maybe a safety I guess.

Don Killuminati
01-05-2008, 10:08 AM
It's definitely an intriguing possibility. But with so many needs, I just have a hard time seeing them go DT back to back, without a 3rd rounder. Only time will tell.
The Bears did it in '04 and it took their defense to the next level. I think the same could happen for Oakland...unless they luck into a Ryan Pickett/Jimmy Kennedy combo. That'd be just our luck.

Milky-Tit-Juice
01-05-2008, 10:41 AM
Okay, then which DE in round 1? Derrick Harvey came off the board already and he probably would be the preference there. Calais Campbell and Phillip Merling seem to both be 2nd rounders right now with the potential to move up. Merling's really got good athleticism, perhaps even better than Calais and there are folks talking up top 20 potential for Merling, something I buy more than Campbell. I guess an outside option there could be someone like Chris Ellis, who might have the edge ability sought.

As for Woodson in round 2, I just thought that was too much value to pass on. It very could be someone else. Perhaps a WR like Donnie Avery, who is probably 2nd rounder which leads to

Avery in round 3 would be a steal. There are still folks out there talking about him as a late first possibility.

Rinehart is about where he should go. With Ryan Cook having some ups and downs, I figured RT there might be a look.

That said, I could see a TE instead somewhere.

You really think DB is a potential top 3 round need? I've got a hard time buying that unless folks are getting cut. Maybe a safety I guess.
Yeah safety. We need one in the first three rounds. Dwight Smith is a ***** ass punk, excuse my language, but it's true. He should be cut IMO and that is why we need another safety. Strong or Free because Sharper can play both but is getting up there in age. If Smith or Phillips is there when we pick we should jump on it. CB depth is a kinda need too. I mean we have 1 great CB 1 good one and the remaining 2 are so-so. I don't count Whitaker because he blows. We need a fourth corner and we could take him in the 3rd round or maybe the second day but depth is needed.

The OUTLAW
01-05-2008, 08:00 PM
I don't see anyone projecting Ahtyba Rubin at going higher than the 4th round. I think you could say that saying the Browns take him in the 2nd is a bit of a reach.

TACKLE
01-06-2008, 01:51 AM
Why did Shawn Crable fall so far? He has had an outstanding season with 26.5tfl and 7.5 sacks in the regular season. He's 6'5 250 and runs in the 4.6's. I can see a team taking him as a 3-4 DE/OLB or a 4-3 DE. I know he has mental lapses from time to time but his size/speed/production combo will be too tempting for him to fall into the 3rd.

Addict
01-07-2008, 07:44 PM
as a lions fan I'm praying you're right toonster.

Nitschke-Hawk
01-08-2008, 09:54 PM
Love Jamaal Charles in the 2nd... explosive back to complement Ryan Grant who has been explosive in his own right. Charles is a good receiver too and we need that.

brat316
01-08-2008, 11:58 PM
when are you updating this

Spectre
01-10-2008, 09:35 PM
No Frank Okam at all? I think he's overrated as a 1st rounder, but not even putting him on the fringe of Day One... any reasoning?

YoJoeBucsFan
01-11-2008, 09:46 AM
I love that Bucs mock, especially Lowery in the 3rd.

PalmerToCJ
01-11-2008, 10:04 AM
I am all about that Bengals mock.