PDA

View Full Version : Leodis McKelvin

D-Unit
01-03-2008, 06:47 PM
Who has actually seen this guy play?

Is he just the hot small school prospect that people like to hype up or does he have legit NFL talent?

Who does he compare to?

What are his strengths and weaknesses?

Hines
01-03-2008, 06:50 PM
Theres a scouting report about him. Scott did it.

SuperKevin
01-03-2008, 06:51 PM
I've really had the same questions. I watched a few Troy games the past two years but honestly didn't look out for anyone so its hard to remember how Mckelvin looked.

D-Unit
01-03-2008, 07:05 PM
Theres a scouting report about him. Scott did it.
For me, I like to see a more domination stats wise from players coming from small schools. 4 INTs in his entire career? You can stumble across that as a marginal player lining up at CB. I have a feeling that his return skills have boosted up his stock to a level it shouldn't be at, grading from purely a defensive cornerback view. 22 Passes Defensed and 4 INTs in 48 games played just does not shout "playmaker" to me. That said, it's impossible to grade a player based off stats, especially at the CB position. So that's why I ask. Is there anyone here who has followed his career closely who can share their opinion?

I hate jumping on the bandwagon on guys like these because usually it's guys like Mel Kiper who bring up names like these and overhype them just to show the world that "he said it first"... sorta deal.

McKelvin... Legit or Fraud?

Comparisons anyone?

SuperKevin
01-03-2008, 07:07 PM
For me, I like to see a more domination stats wise from players coming from small schools. 4 INTs in his entire career? You can stumble across that as a marginal player lining up at CB. I have a feeling that his return skills have boosted up his stock to a level it shouldn't be at, grading from purely a defensive cornerback view. 22 Passes Defensed and 4 INTs in 48 games played just does not shout "playmaker" to me. That said, it's impossible to grade a player based off stats, especially at the CB position. So that's why I ask. Is there anyone here who has followed his career closely who can share their opinion?

I hate jumping on the bandwagon on guys like these because usually it's guys like Mel Kiper who bring up names like these and overhype them just to show the world that "he said it first"... sorta deal.

Comparisons anyone?

You have to realize the Sun Belt is a predominantly running conference for the most part. But I agree I would have liked to see more production from him in his career to warrant being a late 1st round/early 2nd round guy

Hines
01-03-2008, 07:10 PM

Comparisons anyone?

He possibly is the best corner or defensive players in the conference. I dont think quarterbacks wanted to test him.

SuperKevin
01-03-2008, 07:11 PM
He possibly is the best corner or defensive players in the conference. I dont think quarterbacks wanted to test him.

yeah but he didn't really have the numbers early in his career to warrant being avoided either.

D-Unit
01-03-2008, 07:11 PM
Why not? Not like he proved to be some sort of interception machine. I don't buy that.

toonsterwu
01-03-2008, 07:17 PM
I've only seen him a couple times (that said, I'm a big Sun Belt fan, which some older posters may know, names like The Tree, Mr. Guillory, and Calvin "I am stupid" Dawson".) From what I've seen, he's willing to stick his nose in there, which is always a plus. His instincts are good. If I had to label a comp, I'd go with either Lito Sheppard or Dunta Robinson in a positive scenario (obviously, negative scenario is a bust). I think people want to see how he does at the Senior Bowl to see how his speed and instincts translate, although a lot of people are sold.

SuperKevin
01-03-2008, 07:19 PM
I've only seen him a couple times (that said, I'm a big Sun Belt fan, which some older posters may know, names like The Tree, Mr. Guillory, and Calvin "I am stupid" Dawson".) From what I've seen, he's willing to stick his nose in there, which is always a plus. His instincts are good. If I had to label a comp, I'd go with either Lito Sheppard or Dunta Robinson in a positive scenario (obviously, negative scenario is a bust). I think people want to see how he does at the Senior Bowl to see how his speed and instincts translate, although a lot of people are sold.

Yeah you were the first person to hype up Drouzen Quillen. Too bad that didn't really work out too well

toonsterwu
01-03-2008, 07:22 PM
Ha I know. He did get drafted though.

There was that Wyoming receiver that I really liked. Can't remember his name right now. Bouknight?

I've always fully admitted that I have my biases and hit or miss on guys. It's a shame Guillory has a medical condition (heart?). I thought a couple years of production in the CFL and someone might've given him a look, a la Rashad Jeanty.

I like the Sun Belt. How can you not? Dunno, just a soft spot for the Sun Belt with me.

SuperKevin
01-03-2008, 07:24 PM
Ha I know. He did get drafted though.

There was that Wyoming receiver that I really liked. Can't remember his name right now. Bouknight?

I've always fully admitted that I have my biases and hit or miss on guys. It's a shame Guillory has a medical condition (heart?). I thought a couple years of production in the CFL and someone might've given him a look, a la Rashad Jeanty.

I like the Sun Belt. How can you not? Dunno, just a soft spot for the Sun Belt with me.

I've always liked the Sun Belt too. Brandon Cox was a big time prospect for me but he didn't seem to catch on in the pros

toonsterwu
01-03-2008, 07:27 PM
I think it's cuz I'm a Southern country boy at heart. Did spend a couple years down in Louisiana and rural Virginia.

Okay, this is probably drifting a bit. Hmm ... a comment on Leodis ... uh ... cool name. I wonder the origins of Leodis.

scottyboy
01-03-2008, 07:29 PM
I think it's cuz I'm a Southern country boy at heart. Did spend a couple years down in Louisiana and rural Virginia.

Okay, this is probably drifting a bit. Hmm ... a comment on Leodis ... uh ... cool name. I wonder the origins of Leodis.

it is close to Leonidis... perhaps a relative of the king? if so, he's got bloodthirsty killer instincts in his blood. which could be good, unless you're a team mate who angers him..

toonsterwu
01-03-2008, 07:44 PM
I think Leodis is Scottish ... not sure if it descends from Leonidas, although I have my doubts on that one. Ah, oh well ... not really the biggest deal for me.

SuperKevin
01-03-2008, 07:46 PM
Leodis isn't even mentioned as a name at babynames.com I think it's another fine example of black people making up names

Travis 24
01-03-2008, 07:58 PM
I've seen him a few times...could easily make a case that he is the best corner.

SuperKevin
01-03-2008, 07:59 PM
I've seen him a few times...could easily make a case that he is the best corner.

Nobody takes your opinion seriously

Travis 24
01-03-2008, 08:01 PM
Nobody takes your opinion seriously

Thats nice...I don't take anyone on this site seriously after some of the garbage I've seen posted on the rankings and forum in the past 2 years.

princefielder28
01-03-2008, 08:04 PM
Thats nice...I don't take anyone on this site seriously after some of the garbage I've seen posted on the rankings and forum in the past 2 years.

then please leave

Travis 24
01-03-2008, 08:07 PM
then please leave

Nope..I'm gonna stay so I can laugh at everyone...again...happens every year, its pretty entertaining saying "I told ya so". :)

Hines
01-03-2008, 08:13 PM
Nope..I'm gonna stay so I can laugh at everyone...again...happens every year, its pretty entertaining saying "I told ya so". :)

Damn and I thought everyone hated me, guess I was wrong. You totally get so much hate that it makes me look good on here. Thanks man!!

badgerbacker
01-03-2008, 08:16 PM
So why were you laughing at everyone last year?

Travis 24
01-03-2008, 08:22 PM
So why were you laughing at everyone last year?

Eh...I had basically everyone tell me I'm stupid for thinking John Beck should be a first/second round pick. I don't think I heard 1 person (I asked multiple writers, etc) his strengths, keep in mind I watched about 8 BYU games live the last 2 years, and how he projects into the NFL..and I heard "He has a weak arm, isn't mobile, too old, blah blah blah" from everyone...Not only does he not have a weak arm (61 mph, was tops at the combine), but also ran a 40 time a tenth of a second slower than Russell and Quinn...then proceeded to get picked 40th overall...after I had him in that range since about August of 2006, and everyone else I saw had him as a 5th round pick and barely in the top 10...So yeah, thats basically why.

badgerbacker
01-03-2008, 08:29 PM
Well, this site has a cool archives feature where you can look at previous year's rankings and mock drafts. Scott had him as the 5th best QB prospect and predicted he would be drafted by Miami in the 2nd round...

Travis 24
01-03-2008, 08:35 PM
Well, this site has a cool archives feature where you can look at previous year's rankings and mock drafts. Scott had him as the 5th best QB prospect and predicted he would be drafted by Miami in the 2nd round...

Not before the combine...I believe he had him ranked 8th or 9th around this time last year..Scout.com had him 10th. Remember it pretty well. :)

SuperKevin
01-03-2008, 08:42 PM
Not before the combine...I believe he had him ranked 8th or 9th around this time last year..Scout.com had him 10th. Remember it pretty well. :)

It's funny because beck played horribly in limited duty this year and probably won't last another season with the Dolphins now that parcells is there

badgerbacker
01-03-2008, 08:45 PM
I would argue that the last set of rankings is the only one that matters, but if you want to brag about pegging him early, go for it. By his NFL performance so far though, I wouldn't be bragging about picking him out as a good QB prospect.

Travis 24
01-03-2008, 10:18 PM
It's funny because beck played horribly in limited duty this year and probably won't last another season with the Dolphins now that parcells is there

...Ah yes, with an offense that traded away Chris Chambers, lost Ronnie Brown to injury, and released Randy McMichael...I'm sure so many rookie QB's could stepped into that disaster and played well.

He didn't play horribly, either..Funny...People called Jamarcus Russell the best player in the draft, and he has been far from stellar too.

Stash
01-03-2008, 10:35 PM
...Ah yes, with an offense that traded away Chris Chambers, lost Ronnie Brown to injury, and released Randy McMichael...I'm sure so many rookie QB's could stepped into that disaster and played well.

He didn't play horribly, either..Funny...People called Jamarcus Russell the best player in the draft, and he has been far from stellar too.

Russell went 23-31 for 224 yds 1 TD and 1 INT against SD. Not bad for a rookie making his first ever start.