01-03-2008, 08:51 PM
Well, can/will he?

bored of education
01-03-2008, 08:52 PM
He can and he will.

You make alot of threads.

toonsterwu
01-03-2008, 08:54 PM
I buy it if he gets the coaching. The footwork/quickness looks to be potentially there. Certainly needs some polishing up, but all the raw tools are there.

Iamcanadian
01-04-2008, 09:18 AM
I'd rate his potential right up there with Pace and Ogden but he is raw. Will he ever reach that potential, that's the million dollar question?
He's only played football since his senior year in high school and has a long way to go. However, he has the feet and size for LT but don't expect much success for a couple of years. Once he matures and gets more coaching, some team could have another of the above 2.

Number 10
01-04-2008, 09:38 AM
No question....I think he will be a fine LT in the league as well. Scouts love his feet and long arms...he is set up perfectly to be an outstanding pass blocker. I think he could take a Levi Brown type leap in the draft this year...meaning I would not at all be surprised to see him in the top 10.

BeerBaron
01-04-2008, 10:21 AM
he would be my favorite pick for the bears to make in round 1. he can replace fred miller right away at RT and be developed long term to take over for tait at LT.

i think a situation where he can develop like that would be ideal for him. If hes plugged in at LT right away, he may struggle with some of the speed rushers around the league while he adjusts to the nfl

Hines
01-04-2008, 11:02 AM
I think he could potentially play both. He has the raw potential that teams love. If he doesnt work out at LT, which I think he would, he could switch over to RT and be an all pro IMO.

Jonny
01-04-2008, 12:51 PM
How many people here have actually watched him this season?

I saw the Long game, but after seeing other performances, I was raising the alarm about his pass-protection skills long before the inevitable backlash. Perhaps his raw athleticism will let him play it eventually, but he looks absolutely lost right now. Teams drafting that high need a player who can start right away.

TACKLE
01-04-2008, 02:05 PM
How many people here have actually watched him this season?

I saw the Long game, but after seeing other performances, I was raising the alarm about his pass-protection skills long before the inevitable backlash. Perhaps his raw athleticism will let him play it eventually, but he looks absolutely lost right now. Teams drafting that high need a player who can start right away.

Honestly haven't actually seen him play this year. I've seen LeSean McCoy vids and was very impressed with his run blocking and was surprised by his athletisism. That being said I haven't seen his pass pro. If a team drafts him they may start him out at RT or G and than work him into a LT spot. He actually kind of reminds me of a slightly smaller version of Leonard Davis but I think his raw athletisism may allow him to be better than Davis at the NFL level.

toonsterwu
01-04-2008, 02:13 PM
I don't think there's been many signs of a backlash against Otah yet. It may develop, but for the most part, he's still considered a top 3 or 4 OT prospect and a guy that can go anywhere from early first to the early 20's. That's held pretty firm for awhile now.

foozball
01-04-2008, 04:21 PM
how does he compare to former Pitt Panther Charles Spencer? Spencer was 6'5 350lbs coming out, lost about 25lbs and was hailed as the answer to the Texans LT woes before going down with a career threatening injury.

spencer was also relatively inexperienced, having played DT and then moving to OG his junior year and only 1 season at LT his senior year.

Jonny
01-05-2008, 12:52 AM
Spencer was terrible in college. I am a major Big East aficiando, and was slamming that pick as moronic.

CARDIAC CAT 7
01-05-2008, 01:33 AM
His mechanics need work, right now hes a mauler, he does show he has quick feet though, which potentially makes him a premier left tackle. I dont know if he can step in year one. Has the potential to be the best Offensive Tackle to come out this year if he lands on a good team, probably not a Top 10 pick simply because he is still a raw player.

DaBear89
01-05-2008, 02:20 AM
With the 14th overall pick in the 2008 NFL Draft, the Chicago Bears select Jeff Otah, Offensive Tackle from Pittsburgh.

I can only hope.

ljk2171
01-05-2008, 03:50 PM
I actually saw Jeff play while he was at Valley Forge Military Academy and tried to watch him when Pitt was on television in the Philly area. The general consensus is correct he is still raw, but did do a fantastic job on George Selvie in their match up this season. To be honest, he strikes me as a very unpolished John Runyan, which is not a bad thing. Runyan is far superior run-blocker than Otah, but I think in the long-term Otah can develop into a dominant all-around blocker and make the move to the left side in the NFL. I would expect him to play at least a year or two on the right side, because his lack of experience could get a quarterback killed early in his career. With good workout numbers, I would think 10-20 seems to be an accurate range.

BeerBaron
01-05-2008, 11:57 PM
With the 14th overall pick in the 2008 NFL Draft, the Chicago Bears select Jeff Otah, Offensive Tackle from Pittsburgh.

I can only hope.

hope to god....hope....to....god

that would be a good pickup. bye-bye fred miller.

his athleticism would let him play RT there right away while letting him develop to take over for tait in a few years