PDA

View Full Version : moffit "living a lie"

BeerBaron
01-03-2008, 10:34 PM
"MOFFITT'S WIFE SAYS "HE'S LIVING A LIE"

South Florida linebacker Ben Moffitt was supposed to be one of the feel-good stories of the college football season.

During South Florida's 6-0 run to start the season, it was impossible to watch a game without hearing about what a mature, responsible family man Moffitt was. Moffitt, TV announcers said repeatedly, made a 55-mile commute to and from campus so that he could be in class and at practice every day and with his wife and children every night.

But Moffitt's wife now says that story is fiction.

The St. Petersburg Times reports that Shauna Moffitt says Ben left her with their 5-year-old and 3-year-old kids on Nov. 11 and has had limited contact and done nothing to support them.

He is living a lie, Shauna Moffitt told the Times. Hes lying to everyone. Hes not helping (us) with anything.

Shauna also claims that she took online courses for Ben and did his class work so that he could stay eligible.

I have written every single paper he has ever written in five years at USF, she told the Times.

Ben Moffitt declined to talk to the paper about his marriage, but his lawyer said the linebacker was filing for divorce today.

Moffitt, who is expected to be a mid-round selection in April's NFL draft, has been a big part of USF's efforts to market its football program, and the squeaky-clean, family man image has been prominently featured. The school used the phrase "Linebacker. Leader. Husband. Father" in its promotional materials.

Shauna Moffitt's side of the story isn't the whole story. But it's a reminder that the puff pieces that come along every year about the supposedly perfect student-athlete need to be viewed with skepticism."

http://www.collegefootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

wow, thats really dissapointing if true

bored of education
01-03-2008, 10:37 PM
Wow, that is not good for him.

scar988
01-03-2008, 10:38 PM
well he just fell a round or 2.

DiG
01-03-2008, 10:40 PM
he had to know shed say something. unless he was playin her not to.

badgerbacker
01-03-2008, 10:44 PM
Not good news for him that she is coming out with this, but I'm skeptical about everything a girl says about her ex-significant other.

BeerBaron
01-03-2008, 11:10 PM
Not good news for him that she is coming out with this, but I'm skeptical about everything a girl says about her ex-significant other.

especially one whos ex stands to have a shot at the nfl....even a late round pick makes a few hundred grand, which im sure she wouldn't mind a piece of

but theres some nugget of truth to all rumors it seems, and he shouldn't have been playing up what hes been doing if its not true

etk
01-03-2008, 11:26 PM
well he just fell a round or 2.

Why's that? Divorcing your wife now drops your stock...what has this world come to?

scar988
01-03-2008, 11:28 PM
Why's that? Divorcing your wife now drops your stock...what has this world come to?

no, lying to the world and saying you are this great family man and that she is saying she did his school work is what would drop him.

Tampa 2 4 life
01-03-2008, 11:30 PM
Well, that sucks. I'd be willing to wager everything she said about doing every paper for him in untrue though.

etk
01-03-2008, 11:30 PM
no, lying to the world and saying you are this great family man and that she is saying she did his school work is what would drop him.

That could hurt him as far as an NCAA violation, but I highly doubt it changes his draft stock very much. It drops his character grade, but that's not really a red flag IMO.

scar988
01-03-2008, 11:33 PM
That could hurt him as far as an NCAA violation, but I highly doubt it changes his draft stock very much. It drops his character grade, but that's not really a red flag IMO.
if he's lying aboutthat wht else could belying abou. it's a big red flag. especially with orgnizations like hte Pats who value character.

etk
01-03-2008, 11:39 PM
if he's lying aboutthat wht else could belying abou. it's a big red flag. especially with orgnizations like hte Pats who value character.

The Pats drafted Brandon Meriweather in the 1st round despite two "red character flags". No one knows the context of his lies either. How do we know he didn't say these things before they hit rough times? I just don't see this as a big issue. It's a family issue and it should be left that way, but if the wife did indeed write his papers, that's bad news. I wouldn't be surprised if she did, knowing USF and their academic standards, or lack thereof.

yourfavestoner
01-04-2008, 12:31 AM
Probably just a lying ***** trying to get his future money.

DaBear89
01-04-2008, 01:11 AM
moffit deserves to be labeled a genius from now on. getting a divorce before you make money and she gets half. good move :P

WildDude
01-04-2008, 02:32 AM
maybe it wasnt him that lied, people assumed that he did all that cause he has 2 children and he occasionaly visits his kids all the time but still, that wife is wow typical woman, hopefully he has a shot at the NFL and then he can really laugh at her especially since the divorce will b in effect but im sure shes gonna ask her lawyer for half after he gets the first NFL contract, she just wants attention and whats he gonna say nooo its not true... too late now

kwilk103
01-04-2008, 03:42 AM
story from tampa paper---more details

http://sports.tboblogs.com/index.php/sports/related/C127/

j05son
01-04-2008, 04:22 AM

Pats value character?

They'll take anyone since they believe they have enough veteran leadership to represent the "ideal player" that red flag player should become, and put pressure not to be a distraction. A la, Brandon Meriweather and Randy Moss.

Also, proof reading real fast can help you spell words like "about," "organizations," "what" and "the" right.

Agreed. I doubt any of it will be proved, the university doesn't want to be investigated and there really is no claim in court. Twin sister and mother being the potential plaintiff's witnesses; That doesn't seem like anything with any merit. I can see a slander lawsuit against the paper [most likely going nowhere but an "attempt to clear his good name"] and soon to be ex-wife in a divorce that will be delayed as much as possible.

He'll get some questions in his Q and A but he'll be coached through them first and it won't effect him at all [unless real evidence comes out]. Colt Brennen will have more difficult questions to answer as Meriweather and Eric Wright did a year ago.

reigle9
01-04-2008, 05:21 AM
Shauna also claims that she took online courses for Ben and did his class work so that he could stay eligible.

I have written every single paper he has ever written in five years at USF, she told the Times.

Who cares. I got my gf to do the same thing as much as possible while I was in college. Ben, keep that pimp hand strong.

RyanLeaf#1
01-04-2008, 09:23 AM
I dont think this will have any affect on his draft status.

BeerBaron
01-04-2008, 10:42 AM
I dont think this will have any affect on his draft status.

i agree. in fact, if all of this is BS, i hope he uses this as motivation and performs well leading up to it and gets drafted higher because of it

that might rub it into her face

SuperKevin
01-04-2008, 02:24 PM
moffit deserves to be labeled a genius from now on. getting a divorce before you make money and she gets half. good move :P

She's going to get a fortune in child support though.

Nitschke-Hawk
01-08-2008, 01:57 AM
Wow hadn't heard about this yet...

jbeans187
01-08-2008, 02:08 AM
Not a big deal at all, they should interview one of Travis Henry's 8 baby's mommas, im sure what they have to say would be more interesting

BroadwayJoe10
01-08-2008, 06:32 PM

Haha seriously or she'll go down as the biggest idiot of all time. She was 5 months from being gauranteed half of his + allimony for the next 15 years of her life. Even if she found he was cheating on her or whatever, she just had to keep her mouth shut for a few more months, becuase basically she just lost herself money. Granted she'll get allimony no matter what, but if he gets the divorce she won't get any of that money for herself.

I wanna hear his point of view as well, because anytime something like this comes out i almost never side with the girl. To me they are all gold diggers until proven innocent.

Matthew Jones
01-10-2008, 05:43 PM
Ouch. That's not good.

Tampa 2 4 life
01-10-2008, 05:46 PM
Update: http://blogs.tampabay.com/usf/2008/01/shauna-moffitt.html

Its Ya Boy
01-10-2008, 05:50 PM
Update: http://blogs.tampabay.com/usf/2008/01/shauna-moffitt.html

so she lied cause she was gettin divorced? wow way to drag someone down there, that chick is crazy

Mr. Stiller
01-11-2008, 01:35 AM
Probably just a lying ***** trying to get his future money.

Marshawn Lynch part Deux?

I have a question here. Isn't that spousal priviledge and illegal for her to disclose?

Add to the fact he's actually trying to get FULL custody of his children.. seems like he's taking a lot of responsibility that a lot of NFL Stars wouldn't.

Sportsfan486
01-11-2008, 08:53 AM
I have a question here. Isn't that spousal priviledge and illegal for her to disclose?

...huh...? Just 'cuz you're married doesn't mean you can't talk crap about your husband/wife. It's not illegal, lol.

Spousal privilege is that a spouse can't be forced to testify against their husband/wife involving matters that were said during the marriage and assumed confidential by both parties. They can still do so if they choose, they just can't be FORCED to.

As added to the story very minutely because it makes it far less scandalous, everything about him commuting was true until NOVEMBER. So for one month out of the year he didn't commute. Big deal. The rest is just a woman getting divorced and maybe losing her kids, which there has to be a reason for.