PDA

View Full Version : Jaguars 2008 Draft Thread

hornjbob
01-03-2008, 11:55 PM
Im a die hard Jags fan and frequent this site often and at first when I saw Mario Manningham in Scotts mock I said "Not again" But I think hes right about the Jags swallowing their pride and taking another WR if not maybe a CB. But if they do decide on a WR who do you think they should take and who fits their mould, Ex. Manningham (If he declares), Doucet, Bowman maybe Sweed

Mr. Stiller
01-04-2008, 12:06 AM
Quentin Groves.

4-3 WLB and 3rd down edge rusher.

JagHombre22
01-04-2008, 04:29 AM
Quentin Groves.

4-3 WLB and 3rd down edge rusher.

why would we need a lazy pass rusher that chooses when he goes after the quarterback? and why would we need a hybrid? Groves is a projected second rounder...

I would not mind Manningham but WR is not an absolute need anymore...Derrick Harvey or Aqib Talib...

The Unseen
01-04-2008, 09:57 AM
Defensive end should be #1 priority, IMO. I'd say if we want to get a WR, it should be in FA as the FA wideout market is gonna be good and they are proven, while we don't wanna be stuck with another underachieving pick.

JagHombre22
01-04-2008, 03:17 PM
Defensive end should be #1 priority, IMO. I'd say if we want to get a WR, it should be in FA as the FA wideout market is gonna be good and they are proven, while we don't wanna be stuck with another underachieving pick.

who do you like at the WR position in FA?

Personally I think Bernard Berrian should be a guy that we go after...

01-04-2008, 03:24 PM
Bryant Johnson looks like a good fit in FA for the Jags.

The Unseen
01-04-2008, 05:41 PM
I'm not quite sure yet who I like, but I know it's a good market to find a good choice. I'm also not sure if I actually want to get one, considering the strange current situation.

TitanHope
01-04-2008, 08:48 PM
...Two threads in the Jags forum?!

Anyway, with the Jaguar OL playing better now, is OL in the Draft now strictly a 2nd Day need?

The Unseen
01-04-2008, 09:16 PM
...Two threads in the Jags forum?!

Anyway, with the Jaguar OL playing better now, is OL in the Draft now strictly a 2nd Day need?

Yeah, I was thinking of enforced That Unwritten Rule, but I'll pass for now.

And yes, the OL is probably day 2. While the line has played very well, there is some instability at a few positions that competition from a mid-level draft pick could help sort out.

JagHombre22
01-05-2008, 04:00 AM
I'm not quite sure yet who I like, but I know it's a good market to find a good choice. I'm also not sure if I actually want to get one, considering the strange current situation.

I know it seems like we may not need one...but we still need that one guy that can change the game for us...I don't know who that would be but I know he's not currently on the roster....not from what I've seen...

The Unseen
01-06-2008, 12:44 PM
Let's make this the Official Jaguars Draft Thread. I can't edit titles, so I'll ask a mod/admin to.

Geo
01-06-2008, 12:52 PM
I'm like a genie, I grant wishes.

Also, stop drafting good players, Jags.

The Unseen
01-06-2008, 01:04 PM
Well, if you're a genie, I expect two more wishes. One has to do with oodles of cash and the other has to do with the Jaguars winning the Super Bowl. Make it quick.

Geo
01-06-2008, 01:17 PM
I can only grant wishes that don't hurt the Colts. Sorry, amigo.

So, defensive end is the biggest need for the Jags? I've actually thought their DEs have played better this season than in recent years, from what I've seen, although I can see the need for a consistently dominant guy to harass opposing quarterbacks and help out the secondary.

Has Brent Hawkins played much? He seems like he could come off the edge and cause some havoc. He was coached by John Teerlink's son at Illinois State and studied Freeney and Mathis, I recall reading.

Also, I think we can all agree that the Jags need to bolster the secondary a bit, probably at cornerback primarily. Maybe some depth at safety, which can also improve special teams.

kingjames
01-06-2008, 01:46 PM
Im a die hard Jags fan and frequent this site often and at first when I saw Mario Manningham in Scotts mock I said "Not again" But I think hes right about the Jags swallowing their pride and taking another WR if not maybe a CB. But if they do decide on a WR who do you think they should take and who fits their mould, Ex. Manningham (If he declares), Doucet, Bowman maybe Sweed

We in the MidWest watch lots of Michigan -- take my advice, skip on Manningham and take Arrington. You'll likely save 1 first and invest a 3rd on that swap.

Arrington has better hands and concentration plus he is fast enuff at 6'3.

The Unseen
01-06-2008, 03:14 PM
I can only grant wishes that don't hurt the Colts. Sorry, amigo.

So, defensive end is the biggest need for the Jags? I've actually thought their DEs have played better this season than in recent years, from what I've seen, although I can see the need for a consistently dominant guy to harass opposing quarterbacks and help out the secondary.

Has Brent Hawkins played much? He seems like he could come off the edge and cause some havoc. He was coached by John Teerlink's son at Illinois State and studied Freeney and Mathis, I recall reading.

Also, I think we can all agree that the Jags need to bolster the secondary a bit, probably at cornerback primarily. Maybe some depth at safety, which can also improve special teams.

Paul Spicer has been the big guy moreso. Like you said, I think we should look for a consistenly dominant pass-rusher. Bobby McCray dropped off the map this year (except for last night...BOOOYAH), going from 10 sacks to 3. Reggie Hayward came off the injury, and had 3.5 sacks in a down year. And I agree with your points on the secondary: I think depth is key, although experience for the starters is crucial.

To be honest, I don't know how much Brent has really played. He has good speed and shows flashes of talent, but he's a third down pass-rush type. And I think that's what he's done this season, but I don't have an estimate of how much he's actually played.

hornjbob
01-06-2008, 03:22 PM
If Calais Campbell is somehow still on the board at our pick we should take him if not I think Aqib Talib would be a good fit at CB

JagHombre22
01-06-2008, 05:47 PM
I really think the only way we're going to bolster the defensive secondary is if we draft a CB and move Brian Williams to SS...that's the only I can envision us truly being better back there....

other than that...Defensive End...Paul Spicer is like 33 years old and while he's had an amazing year he's just getting plain old and we need a young stud that can rush the passer and stop the run....

if Campbell was still on the board, by some unknown reason, when we were picking I'd kill for us to pick him...I do like Aqib Talib though...Derrick Harvey says hello as well...

leftwich7
01-10-2008, 10:09 AM
when do we start thinking about MLB. Mike Peterson is getting up there is age and has been injured a little more frequently the past several years

The Unseen
01-10-2008, 11:39 AM
when do we start thinking about MLB. Mike Peterson is getting up there is age and has been injured a little more frequently the past several years

Daryl Smith would probably stay there, and Durant would fill Daryl's spot. I could have that reversed, but the idea's the same: we have the fill-ins, it's just depth after that.

JagHombre22
01-10-2008, 12:13 PM
Daryl Smith would probably stay there, and Durant would fill Daryl's spot. I could have that reversed, but the idea's the same: we have the fill-ins, it's just depth after that.

Daryl is a better MLB than he is OLB...it's the natural position he played in college and he's played lights out the past two seasons there....I believe we will look at not bringing Peterson back in the offseason...he's getting old and the injuries are starting to take their toll....

Durant has been lights out this season in the OLB spot...I think our Linebackers right now are very underrated...

TheSchmidt
01-13-2008, 12:33 AM
After watching tonight's game it's clear that the biggest need is DE. Spicer is getting old, and Hayward has been a bust since he signed with us. Not sure McCray is the guy either.

Good thing the draft has some good players with Chris Long, Vernon Gholston, Calais Campbell, Lawrence Jackson, Derrick Harvey and Phillip Merling.

We obviously won't get some of those guys unless we trade up, but trading up isn't a bad idea either. Probably should go the way of defensive back in the 2nd round.

If they acquire a WR, it needs to be a Larry Fitzgerald type, we have enough of those #2/#3 type. WR is the least of my worries right now.

diabsoule
03-19-2008, 10:15 PM
I'm doing a mock draft on another forum as the Jags and here are the results through four rounds. Tell me what you guys think.

Round 1 - DE Calais Campbell, The U
Round 2 - DT Red Bryant, Texas A&M
Round 3 - LB Beau Bell, UNLV
Round 4 - S Tyrell Johnson, Arkansas St.

JagHombre22
03-20-2008, 05:04 PM
well....I think you forgot a third rounder but that is a solid draft...

diabsoule
03-21-2008, 07:45 PM
well....I think you forgot a third rounder but that is a solid draft...

Yeah, I think they got it wrong in the draft.

Here's the complete mock draft I did for you guys on another forum:

Round 1 DE Calais Campbell
Round 2 DT Red Bryant
Round 3 LB Beau Bell
Round 4 S Tyrell Johnson
Round 5 RB Justin Forsett
Round 5 DE Titus Brown
Round 7 CB Justin Tyron

JagHombre22
03-22-2008, 12:24 PM
haha...not to nit pick again...we have three 5ths...

JagHombre22
03-22-2008, 12:26 PM
I don't really like that draft all too much...Calais Campbell is a high second rounder at this point...you probably could have gotten Trevor Laws or Kentwan Balmer with the #26 pick...which, IMO, would have been a better 1st rounder...and then gotten Jackson, Groves or Langford in the second....mainly because I see Red Bryant as a 3-4 round pick...

chad72
04-17-2008, 10:31 AM
Maybe some depth at safety, which can also improve special teams.

I am a Colts fan, just hear me out:) .

You probably know that the Jags just released safety Lamont Thompson. Jacksonville has three safeties remaining: Jamaal Fudge, Gerald Sensabaugh and last year’s top pick, Reggie Nelson. The Jags need more depth at safety. After a premier DE probably in the first round, I expect the Jags to go after DaJuan Morgan of North Carolina State possibly to add quality depth to safety. I believe they have even tried him out (based on new era scouting website), I expect them to go that direction. I think they have bolstered their CB position with Drayton Florence and might go CB with a later pick but as far as an earlier quality pick, safety will be a better choice, IMO.

JT Jag
04-28-2008, 03:07 PM
ok...if Andre Caldwell was available at #58 (our second rounder) and he was the best available player...would you pick him?

considering we take either Phillip Merling or Kentwan Balmer in the first...I'd take another D-lineman.

And another in the third, too.

THEN we can start thinking about WRs or whatnot.

homg called it