PDA

View Full Version : Well Well, great year RIGHT!

bored of education
01-04-2008, 12:30 PM
1st things first, this upcomming year is the last chance I will give CP and of course HE.

Instead of having a write up of the terrible seasonthe Chiefs had, I took the time writing a moving forward focused post.

Moving forward, we need to address the offensive line. Any blubbering idiot can realize the offensive line was maybe the worst in the NFL, giving up 55 sacks. THAT SUCKS, Tom Brady and Peyton Manning could maybe get 10 wins getting sacked 55 times. I will use that last sentence as a segway to another point I will make later. So with 10 draft picks I would hope to spend 3 of those picks on a future LT, a guard and another of G or T. Plus the Chiefs are brining in the ZBS system. Need more intelligent linemen, with great experience and solid footwork. ZBS does not mean athletic per se.

This is how I rank future LT prospects in the draft.
1. Jake Long
2. Chris Williams
3. Ryan Clady
4. Jeff Otah

Only one of those are worthy of a top 5 pick...that is Jake Long.

Other prospects I would keep an eye out for include: Shannon Boatman (RT), Mike Gibson(RT), Duane Brown (RT), Andrew Crummey (G), Drew Radovich (G), Jeremy Zuttah (G), Andrew Bain (G).

Those are guys with a solid resume experience wise, and have decent footwork. I esp like Bain, Zuttah, Gibson and Martin O'Donnell Guard from Illinois. check the link for the write up on him.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16157

That is how I feel about the O line. Herb Taylor, Niswanger, McIntosh, Tre Stallings, Will Svitek, Brian Waters and some draft picks and maybe someone via FA will be the depth of the O Line. Stallings, Taylor, Niswanger, Svitek are very solid ZBS type guys. Be interesting how well the line shapes in the next year or two.

Defense.

Well their were improvements across the board. I think the progress and development of young DTs takes a year or two so I think we are set there (unless Long is gone and Ellis is available or Laurenitis) Napoleon Harris sucked the last 8 games of the season. Ty Law has to go he is old, Surtain should have his contract restructured.

Cornerback is another need for KC. Barksdale, Sapp, Patterson, Brackenridge and Surtain are ok at CB. Surtain is the only legit cover 2 starter unless one of the other guys progress this off season and pre season. 2nd or 3rd round is where this position can be addressed. i thave a list of a few guys I would like.

1. Charles Godfrey
2. Trae Williams
3. DeJuan Tribble
4. Patrick Lee
5. Tracy Porter

Those 5 guys are very solid cover 2 prospects who can come in right away and contribute. Maybe getting a corner with return abilties would be nice as well.

Some linebacker depth may help, and getting rid of Harris might be nice.

NOW NOW!

Quarterback.

Brodie Croyle and Damon Huard. As I said working behind a line that gave up 55 sacks would not allow anyone to be successful. But, I like how Brodie looked in several games but is he the future? I do not know and don't have enough evidence to determine that. But I think that next years class of QBs SUCKS. Well you get my point.

Bowe looked solid, Webb is developing into a solid number 3 type WR, Kennison is old and fragile. So drafting another WR early may be nice.

Ideally, this is the best draft for the 1st 4 rounds.

1. Jake Long
2. Charles Godfrey
3. Lavelle Hawkins, DJ Hall, Keenan Burton, Jordy Nelson, William Franklin, Dorien Bryant
4. Zuttah, O'Donnell, Gibson, Boatman, Bain

Address line, CB, and some holes on D and maybe an early WR would help the team going forward.

But my thoughts could change if something drastic happens.

I also like Andre Woodson alot, bring him in late 1st round. Croyle our starter next year, but he will be pushed by Huard and Woodson. Woodson in a year or two will be a very solid QB in the NFL.

He is the most intriguing prospect this draft for me and someone I will keep an eye out for during the Senior Bowls and Combine and work outs.

villagewarrior
01-04-2008, 12:58 PM
Fascinating. I think we are all assuming the ZBS will be brought in and implemented, but right now that is all speculation. We don't know what system we will be running, no new offensive coordinator has been hired yet. Interesting analysis though, and I would also like to point out that though Jake Long is the only guy worthy of a top ten pick at this point in time, that doesn't preclude the possibility that one of the other guys may rise to that level due to workouts and the Combine, etc.

bored of education
01-04-2008, 01:15 PM
true. But Clady won't be at any of the All Star games I don't think since he is only a junior. A work out alone doesn't move a guy up like him. he needs to be shut down against Prime comp in one of the all star games. I'll look around to see who will be participating in those even some like Otah.

BPhilb
01-04-2008, 01:29 PM
I never see Michael Oher listed on anyone's list. I love this guy and think he could be a great NFL LT right away. I don't know if he is going to declare of not but I'm just suprised I have never seen him mentioned by anyone.

Also, unlike most on the forum I am in love with Mario Manningham. I doubt by the time draft time rolls around he will be available to us in the 2nd round, but I would love if we had a shot at this guy as he would be our depp threat opposite of Bowe. What's your guys thoughts on him?

Nice writeup BTW.

bored of education
01-04-2008, 01:54 PM
I think he is leaning towards staying that is why I don't have him on the lists. If he does declare then I would love to see him in KC. Trading back of course would be the best. but not alot of players out there worth trading up for.

villagewarrior
01-05-2008, 09:31 AM
true. But Clady won't be at any of the All Star games I don't think since he is only a junior. A work out alone doesn't move a guy up like him. he needs to be shut down against Prime comp in one of the all star games. I'll look around to see who will be participating in those even some like Otah.

Maybe not Clady, but a guy like Williams from Vandy or Oher if he declares has a legit chance at being like Levi Brown and being severely overdrafted by a team in need of an offensive tackle. Ideally, if the Chiefs could move back to 8 or 9, get an extra 2nd round pick, and take Clady or Otah or Oher or someone like that, I think it would be a good pick.

bored of education
01-05-2008, 10:03 AM
yeah ideally, moving back 3-4 spots picking up a future 2nd and 3rd or something would be nice. I like Otah, Oher and Clady but I'm still HOPING Long is there at KC's pick.

bored of education
01-06-2008, 04:52 PM
of course alot has to do with what KC brings in for Coordinators!

T-RICH49
01-06-2008, 06:42 PM
I agree that Long is the only OT worth a top 5/But assuminhg he is gone where do we go then?Malcolm Jenkins, Sedric Ellis or where?

adschofield
01-06-2008, 07:16 PM
I say if Long is not there, trade down to about #10-12 and grab Otah or Oher

T-RICH49
01-06-2008, 07:18 PM
if noone wants to trae up though then what?I say Ellis or Jenkins since we still need to upgrade DT and especially at CB

BPhilb
01-06-2008, 08:12 PM
if noone wants to trae up though then what?I say Ellis or Jenkins since we still need to upgrade DT and especially at CB

I say Ellis as he just appears awesome. Also one of the tackles will probably seperate themselves in the combine and all-star process. I wouldn't touch a CB before pick 15 or 20. I'm not sure the facination with the DB's early on. One other option could be Desean Jackson. We have a major need for a good return man and he can definetly fit the bill, plus I think he could make a decent number 2 reciever in time and would at least fill two needs. Would rather not go that route but it might be an option to at least consider.

bored of education
01-07-2008, 11:32 AM
I say Ellis as he just appears awesome. Also one of the tackles will probably seperate themselves in the combine and all-star process. I wouldn't touch a CB before pick 15 or 20. I'm not sure the facination with the DB's early on. One other option could be Desean Jackson. We have a major need for a good return man and he can definetly fit the bill, plus I think he could make a decent number 2 reciever in time and would at least fill two needs. Would rather not go that route but it might be an option to at least consider.

I think Ellis will have a Sapp like career. He could get anywhere from 5-9 sakcs a season and 50 tackles. he gets alot of pressure onthe qb and a solid run stuffer. him jared allen and hali wow. Hali can get 10-12 sacks, Allen around 12-15 and another 5-8 from ellis wow. and he is a stout run stuffer.

villagewarrior
01-07-2008, 12:02 PM
I don't know, I think Ellis will be a good player, but unless it's Dorsey, I don't think the Chiefs should take a DT given the fact that they took two last year and their track record with taking DTs this high. Maybe if the team was a dominant DT away from being complete I could see it, but they just have so many other holes to deal with.

If we can't trade down I'm kind of liking the idea of taking a LB like Laurinaitis or Maualuga, assuming that they come out of course. Edwards is old and on his last leg, Harris sucks, Bell should be finally gone, Key Fox can't stay healthy...some of the young cats have potential but are unproven - Nate Harris? If we can't go OT or trade back I'm all for taking a LB.

BPhilb
01-07-2008, 12:06 PM
I don't know, I think Ellis will be a good player, but unless it's Dorsey, I don't think the Chiefs should take a DT given the fact that they took two last year and their track record with taking DTs this high. Maybe if the team was a dominant DT away from being complete I could see it, but they just have so many other holes to deal with.

If we can't trade down I'm kind of liking the idea of taking a LB like Laurinaitis or Maualuga, assuming that they come out of course. Edwards is old and on his last leg, Harris sucks, Bell should be finally gone, Key Fox can't stay healthy...some of the young cats have potential but are unproven - Nate Harris? If we can't go OT or trade back I'm all for taking a LB.

I'm not disagreeing, for the most part we just need to ensure we get the best player possible. That said today's NFL usually comes down to the team that does the best job of allocating it's funds and having two 1st round linebackers scares me some. With the NFL moving more and more to the spread package we could end up with a lot of money not even on the field for a lot of plays. You could make the same argument for DT I guess too, but that would be my big concern from the LB standpoint. I can't wait for the combine as that will probably help sort some of this out as we go.

bored of education
01-07-2008, 12:41 PM
I hope another linemen comes in and tears it up at the combine or scouting day or what not. I feel some like Clady, Otah, Oher could be taken early but none have prioven that to me yet.

dukies9101
01-07-2008, 01:54 PM
Even though i hate KU, i think their tackle anthony collins could be a pretty solid left tackle in the nfl. i also think we could get him in the top of the 2nd which would be nice.

SAGA45
01-07-2008, 02:20 PM
I hope another linemen comes in and tears it up at the combine or scouting day or what not.

If Texas' Tony Hills gets back to 100%, or at least healthy enough to hold an individual workout prior to the draft, he'll put up some really impressive numbers in agility drills - likely the best amongst OT's.

bored of education
01-07-2008, 03:22 PM
word on the street is that collins is declaring.

I would love Chris Williams to fall to KC in the 2nd. I find him to the be the 2nd best LT prospect in this class. Behind him for LTs in order:

3. Clady
4. Hills
5. Collins