PDA

View Full Version : Year Of The De?

Thunder&Lightning
01-04-2008, 12:34 PM
This year i cant help my self to observe that there are 5-6 potential Defensive Ends that could be drafted in the 1st round. Is the DE the dominant postion in the NFL Draft this year?

The Legend
01-04-2008, 12:46 PM
This year i cant help my self to observe that there are 5-6 potential Defensive Ends that could be drafted in the 1st round. Is the DE the dominant postion in the NFL Draft this year?

i think its the Years of the LB

James Laurinaitis*, Ohio State

Rey Maualuga*, USC

Jerod Mayo*, Tennessee

Dan Connor, Penn State

Keith Rivers, USC

Erin Henderson*, Maryland

Xavier Adibi, Virginia Tech

Brian Cushing*, USC

Darry Beckwith*, LSU

Ali Highsmith, LSU

All Possiable 1st Rounders

not to metion that 3 of the top DE could be LB

Vernon Gholston*, Ohio State

Quentin Groves, Auburn

Derrick Harvey*, Florida

toonsterwu
01-04-2008, 12:49 PM
A case could be made for DE. I'd probably still rank OT ahead.

But at DE

Chris Long and Vernon Gholston seem like top 10 picks

I think the one that everyone overlooked, for one reason or another, was Derrick Harvey, including myself. Seems like a lot of people, including myself, dropped him during the year, but folks still love him a lot, and if he has a plus offseason, is probably a mid-first.

Calais Campbell is probably a mid-late first right now, with the potential to move up.

Chris Ellis has the athleticism to potentially move into the late first, but other areas will have to be checked out.

Lawrence Jackson is probably a 2nd rounder, but I guess he has an outside shot at late first. A lot of folks are probably waiting on the numbers.

If Phillip Merling comes out, he could perhaps be the 3rd or 4th end off the board due to his athletic upside.

Guys like Jason Jones/Jeremy Thompson and others are all intriguing guys.

All that being said, OT probably still has a better combination of quality up top and depth. CB has good depth. I think those are probably the top 3 positions in the draft.

Thunder&Lightning
01-04-2008, 01:00 PM
Ya but the top 2 LB's might not even declare

D-Unit
01-04-2008, 01:14 PM
Year of the OT is definitely right with CB right behind. We won't see a class of OTs like this in a long time.

bored of education
01-04-2008, 01:16 PM
OTs then CBs.

etk
01-04-2008, 01:33 PM
Year of the OT is definitely right with CB right behind. We won't see a class of OTs like this in a long time.

Problem is there isn't one clear cut stud in this year's class. I wasn't a big Joe Thomas fan last year but he's still a significant amount better than anyone in this class. I really like the RBs, TEs, OTs, LBs & CBs in this draft. I think the QBs are pretty good despite the lack of an elite one, and the WR class has depth. I really dislike the DT class.

Jakey
01-04-2008, 01:55 PM
All that being said, OT probably still has a better combination of quality up top and depth. CB has good depth. I think those are probably the top 3 positions in the draft.

What top tier OT prospect is most likely to fall to the Steelers in round 2...i have a feeling with Clady and posssibly Loadholt coming out, a player like Chris Williams could be knocked down. Whats your thoughts on this??? Thanks

toonsterwu
01-04-2008, 02:21 PM
I have high doubts that Chris Williams falls all the way to late round 2. He, as of now, seems more of a late first/early 2nd type. You could see Anthony Collins be there if he comes out. There's an outside shot, IMO, that Loadholt is there, but that seems very unlikely. A guy like John Greco isn't going to be much of a LT, IMO, but could be solid on the right side. If you buy Mike McGlynn as a tackle, he could be an option. If you buy Heath Benedict as an OT, he should be there, although that's high as of now. I wouldn't be stunned if Cherilus fell, but that's a really longshot as well. I like Chad Rinehart. A smidge high there perhaps, but not that unreasonable. The fast risers, guys like Cousins and Nicks, could be there. A Tony Hills has an outside shot of working his way back and is a potentially solid RT look. I think some teams will look at Branden Albert as an OT, or at least consider it, and he's probably slated there.

bored of education
01-04-2008, 02:27 PM
Williams is one of my favorite LT prospects. Great footwork, nice long arms, high football IQ, a beast. Just like him alot!

keylime_5
01-04-2008, 02:33 PM
Ya but the top 2 LB's might not even declare

In fact I'd put my money on James and Rey sticking around for their senior years.

Smokey Joe
01-04-2008, 05:43 PM
last year was the year of the DE's.

gangGREENinsider
01-04-2008, 05:51 PM
Williams is one of my favorite LT prospects. Great footwork, nice long arms, high football IQ, a beast. Just like him alot!

As do I, but he needs to get nasty. He needs to get more aggressive both in pass blocking and run blocking. But like you said, he has the athleticism and smarts to excel...

toonsterwu
01-04-2008, 06:36 PM
You know, one of the hardest things to figure out right now, for me, is where Calais Campbell values at. I placed him late first in my mock, which I thought was low, but then I read on PFW's nfl draft blog that the guy thinks Calais might be a 2nd/3rd rounder. Just caught my eye. Um ... it's the first entry on the blog right now if you go to pfw's nfl draft blog.

iloxygenil
01-04-2008, 06:39 PM
I'd be looking for teams like the Falcons to pick up possibly TWO of those OTs in the first 2 rounds...

Babylon
01-04-2008, 06:55 PM
I like the depth of the OL, besides some names that have been talked about most you have others like a Heath Benedict that could make a name at the combine and an early entry like an Alex Boone who could find himself in round 1 if he comes out.

DL looks good with some hybrid types that could make it even better and WR is a deep group, maybe not the superstar at the top but there will be some pro bowlers out of that group in years to come, just my take.

49er Fan #1
01-06-2008, 05:20 PM
I think the Rb class is pretty deep and solid

aheineken
01-06-2008, 05:44 PM
In fact I'd put my money on James and Rey sticking around for their senior years.

Rumor is Cushing is almost a lock to stay as well. Losing those three guys will significantly weaking the LB class.

Depending on the juniors, this could be the year of the RB. McFadden gives AD a run for his money as a prospect, and then you have Mendenhall and Stewart who are both better prospects than Lynch. James Davis and Felix Jones (if they declare) give this class two more potential first rounders. Who knows, maybe a team will fall in love with Chris Johnson's combine performance and take him in the late 1st. Then you also have Mike Hart, Allen Patrick, Jamaal Charles, and Ray Rice (if he declares) who could all go in the 2nd.