01-04-2008, 06:06 PM
1) Chris Long DE
2) Tracy Porter CB
2) Tony Hills LT
3) Adarius Bowman WR
4) Vince hall LB
6) Will Arnold G
7) Darrien Williams S

chris long creates the pass rush we need to stop the run.

tracy porter provides speed and athletiscm to our dying SECONDARY.

tony hills gives us good depth and may be our starting RT, could be great with coaching.

ADarius Bowman falls to us luckly. Provides speed body frame and good game experience at our weak WR posistion.

Vince Hall is a proven LB who played against tough RBs.. hits like wood has speed and has vision.

will arnold falls because of game play but fits us perfect because is a proven GUARD woh played good DLman.

darrien williams falls to us because of injuries and playing time but gives us a sleeper S who gives us depth and can start.. has good body movement and plays strong

Joeyjr09
01-04-2008, 11:14 PM
1) Chris Long DE
2) Tracy Porter CB
2) Tony Hills LT
3) Adarius Bowman WR
4) Vince hall LB
6) Will Arnold G
7) Darrien Williams S

chris long creates the pass rush we need to stop the run.

tracy porter provides speed and athletiscm to our dying SECONDARY.

tony hills gives us good depth and may be our starting RT, could be great with coaching.

ADarius Bowman falls to us luckly. Provides speed body frame and good game experience at our weak WR posistion.

Vince Hall is a proven LB who played against tough RBs.. hits like wood has speed and has vision.

will arnold falls because of game play but fits us perfect because is a proven GUARD woh played good DLman.

darrien williams falls to us because of injuries and playing time but gives us a sleeper S who gives us depth and can start.. has good body movement and plays strong

I dont see any way Vince Hall falls out of the 2nd round, and at the very least he's a mid 3rd rounder. No way he drops to the 4th.

Will Arnold in the 6th? Please. He could go going as high as the 3rd/4th at this point.

Darien Williams has too much upside to last til round 7. He's another mid round candidate.

You have way, way too many guys falling way to far for this to be realistic. I mean, Porter, Hills, Bowman and Hall are all guys that are looking right now like they could line up to be taken in the 2nd round. Yet you have us getting all those guys as low as the 4th.

I think something more realistic goes like this:

1- Chris Long, DE/OLB, Virginia
2a- Chris Williams, LT, Vanderbilt
2b- Leodis McKelvin, CB, Troy
3- DJ Hall, WR, Alabama
4- Jason Shirley, DT, Frenso State
6- Curtis Gatewood, LB, Vanderbilt
7- Andrew Bain, OG, Miami (FL)

thebow305
01-05-2008, 01:12 AM
Hall doesn't fit our system, almost no way bowman falls out of 2nd round, hills doesn't look like the big offensive tackle type we usually go after, will arnold will probably go undrafted because he cannot play every snap anymore because he has very bad knees, and darien williams lost his starting FS spot this season and when he is in there he gets burned way more often than not.

Other than that its GREAT!

Really man, I would probably shank myself if we drafted like that.

My more realistic draft goes like this:

Round 1) Vernon Gholston, OLB, Ohio State
Round 2a) Dre Moore, NT, Maryland
Round 2b) Chris Williams, OT, Vanderbilt
Round 3) Trae Williams, CB, South Florida
Round 4) Tavares Gooden, ILB, Miami
Round 6) Steve Johnson, WR, Kentucky
Round 7) Derrick Morse, OG, Miami

Joeyjr09
01-05-2008, 09:01 AM
Hall doesn't fit our system, almost no way bowman falls out of 2nd round, hills doesn't look like the big offensive tackle type we usually go after, will arnold will probably go undrafted because he cannot play every snap anymore because he has very bad knees, and darien williams lost his starting FS spot this season and when he is in there he gets burned way more often than not.

Please, tell me, what exactly is realistic about Gholston going number 2 overall? Not gonna happen. Tavares Gooden? Is that serious? He's a cover 2 WLB in the NFL. Parcells loves the 3-4 and loves having big LBs. No way we draft Gooden. Last I checked, Derrick Morse was going back to Miami because he got a medical redshirt. He's not even gonna be in this draft.
Steve Johnson is going way before round 6.

The only realistic picks you have are Dre Moore, Chris Williams and Trae Williams.

Can't believe you told that guy Hall doesn't fit our system and then left the need to list Tavares Gooden. Neither fit our system but Hall is far and away closer then Gooden is. At least Hall can play ILB. Oh and you do realise that Gooden is going in the 1st day.

thebow305
01-05-2008, 10:24 AM
Please, tell me, what exactly is realistic about Gholston going number 2 overall? Not gonna happen. Tavares Gooden? Is that serious? He's a cover 2 WLB in the NFL. Parcells loves the 3-4 and loves having big LBs. No way we draft Gooden. Last I checked, Derrick Morse was going back to Miami because he got a medical redshirt. He's not even gonna be in this draft.
Steve Johnson is going way before round 6.

The only realistic picks you have are Dre Moore, Chris Williams and Trae Williams.

Can't believe you told that guy Hall doesn't fit our system and then left the need to list Tavares Gooden. Neither fit our system but Hall is far and away closer then Gooden is. At least Hall can play ILB. Oh and you do realise that Gooden is going in the 1st day.

You have to be one of the most unknowledgeable posters on this site....and you prove it time and time again.

Gooden is not a weakside backer, he is strongside is anything. But he has played all three positions at Miami. He has the speed to do it, as I believe he ran as fast as in the high 4.4's this past offseason in workouts at UM. He played Weakside his sophomore year, then he gained some weight and played strongside his junior year, then got even bigger and played MLB at Miami this year, and did a DAMN good job at it. He isn't a good fit at MLB in a 3-4 like Parcells likes? Ok... who was one of Parcells MLB's in Dallas in HIS 3-4?? Bradie James, who happens to be one of the best in the league. What is his size you ask??? 6'2" 239 lbs. What is Gooden's size?? I'll answer that one for you. 6'2" 238. And yes he may go sooner than that, but players always fall that you don't expect, that is being realistic, if you don't get that, you are far more ignorant than I thought, and THAT is saying something. That also goes for Steve Johnson as well, who no one nows exactly at this point where he might end up. Scott has him ranked as the number 17 wideout right now and that would put him squarely around the 4-6 round range possibly.

You want me to tell you what is realistic about Gholston going to us at number 1?? The question I propose to you is, what isn't realistic about it?? He is Parcell's favorite type of player, the hybrid, who he drafted in NE with McGinest, who he had in New York with LT, and who he drafted in Dallas at number 10 with DaMarcus Ware. And judging on how successful they have been, combined with the recent success of more hybrids such as Merriman, our own Joey Porter, or Julian Peterson to name a few, it isn't hard to see why this could be the choice. Throw in the fact you have Chris Long as our possible pick and have him listed the same as a DE/OLB, and Gholston is much faster and stronger, it only seems the most realistic to me, but you be the judge, I guess.

Real smart post, you continue to amaze me. Just stop.

Finsfan79
01-05-2008, 05:41 PM

I dont see Gholston as a number 1 overall type talent. Honestly I would rather have Jake Long and be sure of our oline for the next decade then Gholston reached for. Even though I think he is a nice player but too many ??? for him there but maybe that is me personally. Still I would like him there better then Chris Long at least.

Dre Moore makes my "toes tingle"

Joeyjr09
01-05-2008, 08:18 PM
You have to be one of the most unknowledgeable posters on this site....and you prove it time and time again.

Gooden is not a weakside backer, he is strongside is anything. But he has played all three positions at Miami. He has the speed to do it, as I believe he ran as fast as in the high 4.4's this past offseason in workouts at UM. He played Weakside his sophomore year, then he gained some weight and played strongside his junior year, then got even bigger and played MLB at Miami this year, and did a DAMN good job at it. He isn't a good fit at MLB in a 3-4 like Parcells likes? Ok... who was one of Parcells MLB's in Dallas in HIS 3-4?? Bradie James, who happens to be one of the best in the league. What is his size you ask??? 6'2" 239 lbs. What is Gooden's size?? I'll answer that one for you. 6'2" 238.

So just because Bradie James and Tavares Gooden are the same size, suddenly they are the same player. Playing MLB at Miami and playing ILB in Bill Parcells 3-4 are two completely different things. Ask Jon Vilma, he'll show you. Gooden is a cover-2 OLB in the NFL. WLB or SLB can be debated but he is a cover-2 OLB. Look at the recent tradition of Cane backers, Vilma, DJ, Morgan, Beason are all excelling in cover 2 style systems. As soon as the Jets went to a 3-4, Vilma game dropped off. That is the type of backer the Canes use and the type of backer they produce. Gooden isn't a 3-4 backer, plain and simple. Bradie James while smaller then a typical 3-4 LB has a style of play that fits well in the 3-4. Gooden doesn't fit with it at all.

That also goes for Steve Johnson as well, who no one nows exactly at this point where he might end up. Scott has him ranked as the number 17 wideout right now and that would put him squarely around the 4-6 round range possibly.

You wanna know where the 17th WR went last season? Round 3. But good job, this year you have him going all the way in round 6. Very realistic.

You want me to tell you what is realistic about Gholston going to us at number 1?? The question I propose to you is, what isn't realistic about it?? He is Parcell's favorite type of player, the hybrid, who he drafted in NE with McGinest, who he had in New York with LT, and who he drafted in Dallas at number 10 with DaMarcus Ware. And judging on how successful they have been, combined with the recent success of more hybrids such as Merriman, our own Joey Porter, or Julian Peterson to name a few, it isn't hard to see why this could be the choice. Throw in the fact you have Chris Long as our possible pick and have him listed the same as a DE/OLB, and Gholston is much faster and stronger, it only seems the most realistic to me, but you be the judge, I guess.

I haven't seen a mock draft by anyone all season that has Gholston in the top 5. Much less at number 1. Chris Long on the other hand has been going consistently in the top 3 and has been number 1 overall several different times. Let's you know what people are thinking about these guys. Not to mention Chris Long is coming off a better season, arguably the best season by a D player this year. And he has NFL ties which will help him handle the change in way of life better which makes him a safer pick and the fact he is seen as a better prospect all around. You can see why Chris Long is rated as the better prospect.

Besides don't act like you really thought Gholston is a number 1 overall guy. You were pulling for him after last year's draft after you thought we were gonna have a decent season and a middle of the 1st pick.

draftguru151
01-05-2008, 08:50 PM
Do you have a link or something to Morse coming back? I didn't hear anything about that.

As for some of the other stuff, I'd be very shocked to see Vince Hall go in the 2nd, 3/4 makes much more sense and depending on which junior backers come out I'd expect he should be there around the top of the 4th.

I'd be shocked to see Arnold drafted. Some one might take a shot on Williams in the 5th/6th area but 7th seems reasonable.

Bowman seems like a solid 2nd rounder, shuffling Bowman up to the first 2nd, Porter to the other 2nd and Hills to the third makes a lot more sense (though that may be a bit high for Hills depending on his health).

While Gooden isn't a great fit for our defense he isn't a cover/tampa 2 style only guy either. He could fit in any type of 4-3 defense, but I'd keep him away from 3-4s. As for UM backers, Beason is a guy that would have worked in a 3-4 (there was a lot of talk about him with the Pats I think) and the only backer that is more of a cover 2 guy is Vilma.

thebow305
01-05-2008, 09:14 PM
So just because Bradie James and Tavares Gooden are the same size, suddenly they are the same player. Playing MLB at Miami and playing ILB in Bill Parcells 3-4 are two completely different things. Ask Jon Vilma, he'll show you. Gooden is a cover-2 OLB in the NFL. WLB or SLB can be debated but he is a cover-2 OLB. Look at the recent tradition of Cane backers, Vilma, DJ, Morgan, Beason are all excelling in cover 2 style systems. As soon as the Jets went to a 3-4, Vilma game dropped off. That is the type of backer the Canes use and the type of backer they produce. Gooden isn't a 3-4 backer, plain and simple. Bradie James while smaller then a typical 3-4 LB has a style of play that fits well in the 3-4. Gooden doesn't fit with it at all.

You wanna know where the 17th WR went last season? Round 3. But good job, this year you have him going all the way in round 6. Very realistic.

I haven't seen a mock draft by anyone all season that has Gholston in the top 5. Much less at number 1. Chris Long on the other hand has been going consistently in the top 3 and has been number 1 overall several different times. Let's you know what people are thinking about these guys. Not to mention Chris Long is coming off a better season, arguably the best season by a D player this year. And he has NFL ties which will help him handle the change in way of life better which makes him a safer pick and the fact he is seen as a better prospect all around. You can see why Chris Long is rated as the better prospect.

Besides don't act like you really thought Gholston is a number 1 overall guy. You were pulling for him after last year's draft after you thought we were gonna have a decent season and a middle of the 1st pick.

Just because Gooden is from the same school as Vilma, Williams, Morgan, and Beason, it doesn't mean he is the same type of player. That is a TERRIBLE argument. He is much better suited, IMO, to play ILB in the 3-4 than any of them with the exception of of DJ, who is the closest player to him in comparison of their skills. It's not just Bradie James, Akin Ayodele is the same size as him as are Foote and Farrior from Pitt's 3-4. He is strong enough and fast enough to play inside in the 3-4, or outside/inside in the 4-3. Although he isn't my favorite choice for the spot (Maualuga or Laurinaitis), we could get him a lot later and at better value.

I said the 4-6 round range for Johnson, and he could fall a little bit, because good players always do, and I'm not the realistic one? Good argument once again.

Joeyjr09
01-07-2008, 01:16 PM
Just because Gooden is from the same school as Vilma, Williams, Morgan, and Beason, it doesn't mean he is the same type of player. That is a TERRIBLE argument. He is much better suited, IMO, to play ILB in the 3-4 than any of them with the exception of of DJ, who is the closest player to him in comparison of their skills. It's not just Bradie James, Akin Ayodele is the same size as him as are Foote and Farrior from Pitt's 3-4. He is strong enough and fast enough to play inside in the 3-4, or outside/inside in the 4-3. Although he isn't my favorite choice for the spot (Maualuga or Laurinaitis), we could get him a lot later and at better value.

I said the 4-6 round range for Johnson, and he could fall a little bit, because good players always do, and I'm not the realistic one? Good argument once again.

Ok, bro. This is pointless. When the draft comes around and Gooden goes to a team that plays cover-2 and he's an OLB, I'm gonna come back and here point it out.

BroadwayJoe10
01-07-2008, 11:52 PM
So what's the general consensus here on where the dolphins will be going with their first round pick; dorsey, long or gholston? Gholston to me didn't seem to have a good enough game to warrant a first overal selection, but than dorsey didn't play lights out either. However, i do feel a DT with dorsey's ability is more of a rarity in general.

thebow305
01-08-2008, 03:17 PM
Ok, bro. This is pointless. When the draft comes around and Gooden goes to a team that plays cover-2 and he's an OLB, I'm gonna come back and here point it out.

wouldn't make a difference. Doesn't matter, if he goes to a cover-2 team, what would that prove? He doesn't choose where he goes or what system he fits in best, Carriker was projected as a 3-4 end by everyone, and looked like a damn good prospect there, someone like Aaron Smith in Pittsburgh. Yet, he got drafted into a 4-3 in St. Louis where he is a tackle now, which is fine, but IMO, a little out of position and is being misused..because the 3-4 would have suited him much better. You just don't get it I guess. So yes, this argument is pointless, think what you want.

kingjames
01-08-2008, 09:32 PM
Here is my take based on what Parcells and Ireland usually do .... no trades .... they love established school players ...

1. Chris Long (DE)
2a. Shawn Crable (OLB)
2b. Chris Williams (OT)
3. Adrian Arrington (WR)
4. Kendall Langford (DE)
5. DeJuan Tribble (CB)
6. Red Bryant (NT)
7. Kyle Wright (QB)

thebow305
01-08-2008, 11:02 PM
Here is my take based on what Parcells and Ireland usually do .... no trades .... they love established school players ...

1. Chris Long (DE)
2a. Shawn Crable (OLB)
2b. Chris Williams (OT)
3. Adrian Arrington (WR)
4. Kendall Langford (DE)
5. DeJuan Tribble (CB)
6. Red Bryant (NT)
7. Kyle Wright (QB)

Wouldn't be a bad draft at all. Not a big fan of Crable, so I would like to see what other OLB's are there, but it could work. If we draft Kyle Wright, I might shank myself.

thebow305
01-08-2008, 11:03 PM

1. Chris Long (DE)
2a. Shawn Crable (OLB)
2b. Chris Williams (OT)
3. Adrian Arrington (WR)
4. Kendall Langford (DE)
5. DeJuan Tribble (CB)
6. Red Bryant (NT)
7. Kyle Wright (QB)

Wouldn't be a bad draft at all. Not a big fan of Crable, so I would like to see what other OLB's are there, but it could work. I doubt Tribble and Bryant fall that far though. If we draft Kyle Wright, I might shank myself.

thebow305
01-08-2008, 11:03 PM

1. Chris Long (DE)
2a. Shawn Crable (OLB)
2b. Chris Williams (OT)
3. Adrian Arrington (WR)
4. Kendall Langford (DE)
5. DeJuan Tribble (CB)
6. Red Bryant (NT)
7. Kyle Wright (QB)

Wouldn't be a bad draft at all. Not a big fan of Crable, so I would like to see what other OLB's are there, but it could work. I doubt Tribble and Bryant fall that far though. If we draft Kyle Wright though, I might shank myself.

thebow305
01-08-2008, 11:15 PM
I want Gholston at number one, not Dorsey, although I wouldn't hate Dorsey, just would like Gholston more. I kinda don't want Chris Long though, that pick would be very unexciting. I would love to just trade down though and nab Gholston a couple picks lower and stockpile a third and maybe a second as well to try to trade back up into the middle of the first and nab either one of the Jenkins corners as well, that would be something special, add in Dre Moore, Red Bryant, or Terrance Taylor at NT later in draft and an OL like Branden Albert or Barry Richardson and it would be a WRAP!!

Something like this:

1a) Vernon Gholston, DE/OLB, Ohio State
1b) Mike Jenkins, CB, South Florida
3) Dre Moore, NT, Maryland
4) Steve Johnson, WR, Kentucky
6) Branden Albert, OL, Virginia
7) Louis Holmes, DE, Arizona

Add in a signing of Asante Samuel or Marcus Trufant, Bobby Carpenter, and Flozell Adams and we are on our way! :)

Imagine a young secondary of:

FS Jason Allen
SS Yeremiah Bell
CB Asante Samuel
CB Mike Jenkins

...and add in Will Allen as the nickel.

That would be something! What a turnaround that would be.

Overall the new defense would look something like this:

DE - Rodrique Wright
NT - Dre Moore
DE - Vonnie Holliday
LOLB - Vernon Gholston
LILB - Zach Thomas
RILB - Channing Crowder
ROLB - Jason Taylor
CB - Asante Samuel
FS - Jason Allen
SS - Yeremiah Bell
CB - Mike Jenkins

Top Backups: OLB Joey Porter, DE Louis Holmes, NT, Paul Soliai, CB, Will Allen, S Renaldo Hill.

Much improved if you ask me.

We'll see, hope it looks similar in April.

BroadwayJoe10
01-09-2008, 08:12 PM
Hey thebow, I agree with you that gholston is gonna go top 6 and i can see first overall, but has there been any indication from the FO as to where they are leaning?

Also, i figured i'd share this little story, i had someone who runs their own draft site (not sure which one), actually say that he wouldn't draft gholston in the top 10 and would push for the first round. How can an apparant "draft expert" be this far off? Is there something about him that i'm missing? Solid against the run, can bull rush and collapse the pokcet against the Olineman with good footwark and can simply run past the lineman with bad footwork. Is a smart player with good instincts and watches film. No apparent characters problems or injuries. May not be too fluid in coverage, but that takes time.. So, is there something im missing haha?

thebow305
01-09-2008, 11:03 PM
Hey thebow, I agree with you that gholston is gonna go top 6 and i can see first overall, but has there been any indication from the FO as to where they are leaning?

Also, i figured i'd share this little story, i had someone who runs their own draft site (not sure which one), actually say that he wouldn't draft gholston in the top 10 and would push for the first round. How can an apparant "draft expert" be this far off? Is there something about him that i'm missing? Solid against the run, can bull rush and collapse the pokcet against the Olineman with good footwark and can simply run past the lineman with bad footwork. Is a smart player with good instincts and watches film. No apparent characters problems or injuries. May not be too fluid in coverage, but that takes time.. So, is there something im missing haha?

No you're not really missing anything. If someone thinks he is that far off then the only thing I could see is if they find him using performance enhancers or something like that. Gholston has to be one of the most ripped, physically gifted athletes I have ever seen and although it may be all natural, I question it a little but. Other than that, he is a little shaky in coverage, but as you said that will come in time with the right coaching. He can bull rush the best pass blockers in the game because of his incredible strengh and will be a threat to get to the QB early and often in his career because of that strength as well as a quick first step off of the snap, which could lead to him being one of the game's elite pass rushers.

thebow305
01-09-2008, 11:03 PM
He is also a film room junkie from what I have heard from numerous sources, and those are the types of players Parcells truly covets, the ones who take football very serious and truly love it. So if that is any indicator....

thebow305
01-09-2008, 11:04 PM
Duplicate post...

thebow305
01-09-2008, 11:05 PM
damn duplicate post again

BroadwayJoe10
01-10-2008, 12:16 AM
Thanks a lot man, i was pretty sure i wasn't missing anything, but just wanted to check with you, becuase you seem to be as high on him as i am. I can definately see you guys going that way, but i'll tell ya i really don't want to play him twice a year haha.

bigmac076
01-11-2008, 10:26 AM
Any reson why you Miami fans shutter at the thought of getting a top notch OT in Jake Long? I disticntly remember you all hating to see Levi Brown being taken for you guys last year. Just asking.

Finsfan79
01-11-2008, 04:25 PM
Any reson why you Miami fans shutter at the thought of getting a top notch OT in Jake Long? I disticntly remember you all hating to see Levi Brown being taken for you guys last year. Just asking.

many feel that Vernan Carey can be a top flight LT, when you look at the stats he was solid this year. They also view jake long as a Right Tackle in the future, which you cant blame them for it. Also Parcells I believe, correct me if I am wrong, likes to take later round linemen and mold them not top area ones on the o-line.

I think the primary thing we need to do is trade back(of course) if not take the best impact player we can with the Highest possible potential.

In my eyes that is one of the following 3.

Glenn Dorsey Defensive biggest talent
Jake Long O-Line
Darren McFadden RB

Now even though there is no clue if Brown comes back I dont see Mcfadden as the pick, I dont think we take a top RB with brown on the payroll and with his potential.

I still dont think Gholston is the elite type of talent some think he is, I just havent seen it.

i think dorsey or Jake Long fit best if we dont trade back

thebow305
01-11-2008, 07:11 PM
many feel that Vernan Carey can be a top flight LT, when you look at the stats he was solid this year. They also view jake long as a Right Tackle in the future, which you cant blame them for it. Also Parcells I believe, correct me if I am wrong, likes to take later round linemen and mold them not top area ones on the o-line.

I think the primary thing we need to do is trade back(of course) if not take the best impact player we can with the Highest possible potential.

In my eyes that is one of the following 3.

Glenn Dorsey Defensive biggest talent
Jake Long O-Line
Darren McFadden RB

Now even though there is no clue if Brown comes back I dont see Mcfadden as the pick, I dont think we take a top RB with brown on the payroll and with his potential.

I still dont think Gholston is the elite type of talent some think he is, I just havent seen it.

i think dorsey or Jake Long fit best if we dont trade back

You can rule out Darren McFadden and Jake Long right now. They will not be Dolphins in 2008, I can GUARANTEE that.

That leaves Dorsey, Chris Long, and Gholston.

Dorsey will probably not be the pick, due to his questionable stability and knee problems that have plagued him towards the end of the year, also due to the fact he just is not a great fit for our defense.

I think it is between Chris Long and Vernon Gholston. You can bank on that!

They both seem to be Parcells-type players with great work ethics and football as priority numero uno. I think Chris Long's weigh-in could be the story of the '08 draft, at least for the Phins.

If he weighs in at anything less than 280, the pick is Gholston for sure. Gholston is faster and stronger and is the prototypical 3-4 Outside Pass Rusher that Parcells covets for his defenses. (See: Lawrence Taylor, Willie McGinest, & DaMarcus Ware.)

If he weighs in at over 280, or close to 300, then he might be the pick. I still give the nod to Gholston in any situation, just because Parcells covets pass rushers more than he does gap fillers.

I've heard that he went back and forth in his decision to take either Marcus Spears or DaMarcus Ware first with the 10th pick in the '05 draft. Ware won out because he was more afraid that Ware wouldn't be there and took a chance that Spears would be there with his second 1st rounder. As it is, it worked out for him and he got both of them.

Take that for what it is, but the situation looks pretty similar to me, Chris Long = Marcus Spears in that situation, and Gholston = Ware. I believe he would do the same thing here, barring a trade down, I think this ends up happening in the '08 draft if we are forced to stay at number 1.

Here's to getting a trade with Atlanta, acquiring one of their 2nd rounders, and nabbing Gholston at 3!

gouldo
01-13-2008, 12:39 AM
Without any trades up & down the draft, my opinion is defence is the primary issue that must be addressed with the 1st 2 picks.
1. Glenn Dorsey 1st pick
2. Frank Okam with the 2nd pick. I hope he is still available, and if he is, then we should grab him.
2 b. Quentin Demps, S UTEP.
3. Martin Rucker, TE, Missouri. Has to be an upgrade over what we have.
4. Martin Castille, CB, Alabama.
6. Roy Schueing, G, Oregon State
7. Jason Rivers, WR, Hawaii.

thebow305
01-13-2008, 11:29 AM
Without any trades up & down the draft, my opinion is defence is the primary issue that must be addressed with the 1st 2 picks.
1. Glenn Dorsey 1st pick
2. Frank Okam with the 2nd pick. I hope he is still available, and if he is, then we should grab him.
2 b. Quentin Demps, S UTEP.
3. Martin Rucker, TE, Missouri. Has to be an upgrade over what we have.
4. Martin Castille, CB, Alabama.
6. Roy Schueing, G, Oregon State
7. Jason Rivers, WR, Hawaii.

No no no.... demps with our 2nd rounder, is that serious??? That's all I needed to see. Thanks but no thanks man. And its Simeon Castille, not Martin. Nice try though.

Joeyjr09
01-13-2008, 11:35 AM
You can rule out Darren McFadden and Jake Long right now. They will not be Dolphins in 2008, I can GUARANTEE that.

That leaves Dorsey, Chris Long, and Gholston.

I think it is between Chris Long and Vernon Gholston. You can bank on that!

Let's bank on Long and Gholston 4 months before the draft. One of them will be the pick.

Please, narrowing down the list to those 2 at this point is just stupid. We have yet to have the Sr bowl, combine and much more.

Not to mention, there's already a report out saying that Parcells and the Dolphins FO is interested in Matt Ryan out of BC.

Joeyjr09
01-13-2008, 11:36 AM

Just like Levi Brown, Jake Long is a RT. Please tell me what sense does it make to take a RT in the top 10 unless you got a lefty QB?

Joeyjr09
01-13-2008, 12:07 PM
many feel that Vernan Carey can be a top flight LT

Exact opposite. I know me and you have talked about this but outside of the 1st 5 games or so, Carey has looked downright awful. He gets absolutely owned by speed rushers and I've read many different reporters that cover the Dolphins wanting him to be moved inside to replace Hadnot if he leaves as a FA. Carey was not good at all this year. Servicable at best. He's not a LT. On a good OL, he has no business playing anything other then OG.

1a) Vernon Gholston, DE/OLB, Ohio State
1b) Mike Jenkins, CB, South Florida
3) Dre Moore, NT, Maryland
4) Steve Johnson, WR, Kentucky
6) Branden Albert, OL, Virginia
7) Louis Holmes, DE, Arizona

Right now we have 7 picks in the draft. There's talk on trading away JT and ZT and maybe others for more picks. If we had a draft that only included 6 players, I'd be pissed. We have way too many holes to be drafting just 6 players and the last thing we need to do is trade up for another 1st rounder.

A better strategy would be to trade down to the 3rd spot with Atlanta moving up for McFadden. You get their number 1 pick, and both their 2nd rounders.

Then while sitting at number 3 overall you can take Gholston if that's who you want, I still think that's a reach so my pick would be Chris Long.

Then with your 4 2nd rounders you can load up.

2a.) They way QBs have been falling in the draft, seeing Andre Woodson slip to the top pick of the 2nd round isn't a reach and even with Beck, I wanna see us get another QB to groom.
2b.) Chris Williams, He is a huge bodied LT that can move Carey back inside and anchor our LT spot for years. He is the type of OL that Bill Parcells loves.
2c.) Dre Moore, DT. Can replace Traylor at NT and has the frame and body to pack on more muscle and weight. IS very physical to anchor our DL on the inside.
2d.) Martellus Bennett, TE. He has a long frame and I expect him to be taken behind Fred Davis and John Carlson but for my money, Bennett is the best TE in the draft. We we can get him in round 2, I'd be pumped.

This way by the end of your 1st 2 rounds you've already got the building blocks on O and D. In the rest of the draft you can add supplementary players for specific areas. In the 3rd, I'd go with a CB. I'd try to find a guy with great pure cover skills as that's what we've really lacked. Thought somewhat short DeJuan Tribble can run with the best of them and he does have a pretty think build. Round 4 I'm looking at WR. Hopefully someone with tha big body and big frame that can move the chains and be a red zone threat. Marcus Monk seems like a perfect target at that spot. Then with round 6 and 7 we finish off with ST players, ILB Bo Ruud would be perfect in the 6th and CB Antwaun Molden is a good fit in the 7th.

Overall our draft looks like this:

1.) Chris Long, DE/OLB, Virginia
2a.) Andre Woodson, QB, Kentucky
2b.) Chris Williams, LT, Vanderbilt
2c.) Dre Moore, NT, Maryland
2d.) Martellus Bennett, TE, Texas A&M
3.) DeJuan Tribble, CB, Boston College
4.) Marcus Monk, WR, Arkansas
6.) Bo Ruud, ILB, Nebraska
7.) Antwaun Molden, CB, Eastern Kentucky

This way we get 9 players, alot of early picks and even end up with a high upside QB since we all know Parcells isn't gonna let this mess at QB last much longer. I don't this ever happens but if there was ever a perfect scenario for the Dolphins, something along the lines of this would be it.

draftguru151
01-13-2008, 01:37 PM
The only game I recall Carey really struggling was against the Bengals where Smith gave him problems all day. I still don't think he is an elite LT, but he played very well there most of the season. I don't see any reason he should be moved inside. RT maybe, but I think leaving him at LT is fine.

I don't really see the mock as very realistic. Woodson can fall to the 2nd but I think he ends up late one at worst. I think 4 QBs going in the first is more likely than 2. Williams is probably a first rounder, Moore could fall there but I doubt he does. Bennett could fall there as well, I just don't see it. 4th seems a bit early for Monk, I'd be shocked if he went before the 5th. Guys like Maurice Purify or Josh Morgan probably fit in the early 4th range.

Joeyjr09
01-13-2008, 01:51 PM
The only game I recall Carey really struggling was against the Bengals where Smith gave him problems all day. I still don't think he is an elite LT, but he played very well there most of the season. I don't see any reason he should be moved inside. RT maybe, but I think leaving him at LT is fine.

I had this same disucussion with finfan. Most people tend to think Carey played well because the OL improved so much from last season. But sit back and watch him on a play by play basis. Carey was getting beat like a drum. The sacks weren't always credited to him but he was always a big part of the breakdown.

How many times was John Beck getting nailed from behind down the stretch? There's many times where Carey got beat by his man, forcing the OG to come help and allowing someone else on the line come free and hurry the QB. I can't tell you how many times I saw a speed rusher start off the edge, have Carey get of balance, push him back inside and completely throw him off to the point where he was out of the play completely. Based on what I saw last year, Carey was definately one of the bottom 5 LTs in the league. I He's 27 to start the season and is hitting his prime and still isn't even what I would call solid at LT. His long term potential is inside preferably at RG for me where his size and run blocking will be perfectly suited. Carey to me seems like a poor man's Leonard Davis. I think Carey would be one of the better RGs in the NFL but because of need, he just has never really been put there long term. I think you could really see him take off if moved inside instead of being just a servicable LT. I could deal with a serviceable S or a serviceable TE or WR. But when it comes to the lines, I think we need top notch play. Games are won down there and Carey just isn't the type of LT that good teams have.

draftguru151
01-13-2008, 02:31 PM
Yea, I didn't watch Carey, I just assumed since the OL was better as a whole Carey was good, I mean I didn't watch Carey, no that didn't happen.

Carey a bottom 5 LT? Are you kidding me? Who beat him all these times? Beck got hit in the back a lot? I wasn't aware Carey was the only blocker on the left side. Whoever was at LG (Liwenski, can't remember the other guys name) was a complete piece of trash. TE and RB pass blocking was ridiculously sub par. I focused on Carey as much as any player on the team, and he played extremely well. Is he an elite LT or will he ever be? Probably not, but right now he is serviceable there and certainly not a liability, and with the condition this team is in right now, that is fine. Carey was a lot closer to being a top 5 LT this season than he was a bottom 5 LT.

thebow305
01-13-2008, 08:34 PM
Yea, I didn't watch Carey, I just assumed since the OL was better as a whole Carey was good, I mean I didn't watch Carey, no that didn't happen.

Carey a bottom 5 LT? Are you kidding me? Who beat him all these times? Beck got hit in the back a lot? I wasn't aware Carey was the only blocker on the left side. Whoever was at LG (Liwenski, can't remember the other guys name) was a complete piece of trash. TE and RB pass blocking was ridiculously sub par. I focused on Carey as much as any player on the team, and he played extremely well. Is he an elite LT or will he ever be? Probably not, but right now he is serviceable there and certainly not a liability, and with the condition this team is in right now, that is fine. Carey was a lot closer to being a top 5 LT this season than he was a bottom 5 LT.

Agreed. Lekkerkerker and Liwenski were much more to blame for Beck's struggles to stay upright than Vernon Carey.

I also agree with the fact that Carey would be a top notch guard in this league. If we were to somehow sign someone like Flozell Adams away from Dallas and draft a RT such as Sam Baker, Chris Williams, or Barry Richardson in the 2nd-3rd round, we could move Carey inside, where IMO, he would be a Pro Bowler.

That draft does seem a little unrealistic I agree.

1.) Vernon Gholston, DE/OLB, Ohio State
2a.) Sam Baker, OT, USC
2b.) Dre Moore, NT, Maryland
2c.) John Carlson, TE, Notre Dame
2d.) Macho Harris, CB, Virginia Tech
3.) Branden Albert, OG, Virginia
4.) Phillip Merling, DE, Clemson
6.) Bo Ruud, ILB, Nebraska
7.) Amarri Jackson, WR, South Florida

In your scenario, something like this would seem a little more realistic and productive.

That would be an awesome draft, and I see nothing about it that is unrealistic.

BamaFalcon59
01-19-2008, 01:31 PM
Here's to getting a trade with Atlanta, acquiring one of their 2nd rounders, and nabbing Gholston at 3!

There is no reason we would do that.

thebow305
01-20-2008, 12:12 AM
There is no reason we would do that.

I can dream can't I?? :D

If you guys fell in love with McFadden there's a chance!

hasane
01-20-2008, 01:22 AM
1. Sign Marcus Trufant and Issac Soppoga
2. Try to Trade Down

Draft:

1. Chris Long DE Virginia
2A. Chris Williams LT Vandy
2B. Adarius Bowman WR OK State
3. Jermichael Finley TE Texas
4. Chilo Rachal OG USC
5. Zack Bowman CB Nebraska
6. Jonathan Hefney S Tenn
7. Matt Flynn QB LSU

energizerbunny
01-20-2008, 01:48 AM
I could atleast see Jake Long as a possibility, especially with Sparano leading them. Then again i'm not sold on Long as a prospect either.

Its really not a great year to be picking first overall.

I think when it boils down it will be who has the better workout/post season... Chris Long or Vernon Gholston

thebow305
01-21-2008, 12:41 AM
1. Sign Marcus Trufant and Issac Soppoga
2. Try to Trade Down

Draft:

1. Chris Long DE Virginia
2A. Chris Williams LT Vandy
2B. Adarius Bowman WR OK State
3. Jermichael Finley TE Texas
4. Chilo Rachal OG USC
5. Zack Bowman CB Nebraska
6. Jonathan Hefney S Tenn
7. Matt Flynn QB LSU

If we could sign either Asante or Marcus at CB, i'd be ecstatic. My only worry is that these guys are going to demand BIG money after what Mr. Overrated Nate Clements got in Free Agency from the Niners. Parcells is not known for dishing out big money for free agents, and he typically likes to bring in his own guys and build through the draft, not free agency.

D-Unit
01-23-2008, 09:27 PM
Character plays a HUGE roll with Parcells and Ireland. They like BIG and STRONG too.

Dcboys94
01-24-2008, 04:38 PM
Ireland has made public your 1st overall pick is available for discussions, though it isn't a shocker. But i was wondering what you would want/expect from the Cowboys if they tried to pull off a trade. Keep in mind we have some of parcells guys, so maybe include a current player if thats wat u feel. Thx ;)

zCaddyz
01-25-2008, 11:58 AM
if i was miami ill try to get philip wheeler in round 2