PDA

View Full Version : Rod Marinelli: What do you think of him?

Xiomera
01-04-2008, 09:43 PM
This thread is for discussion of Mr. Rod Marinelli, the 4th head coach of the Matt Millen era.

How do you view Marinelli?

Xiomera
01-04-2008, 09:56 PM
Here's my take on Marinelli . . .

I find Marinelli's attitude towards his team to be completely moronic and annoying. His "one snap at a time" mentality is nice and all when we are winning, as he tries to keep his team humble (ala Bill Belichek), but when the Lions finished the season 1-7, he refused to stray from this attitude and admit that there were some problems with his team.

Watching him in press conferences makes me cringe.

It annoyed the hell out of me that Jon Kitna was behind center until the very end of the season. Kitna was playing terrible, and there was no reason he should have been in the game against Green Bay in the 2nd half. Why even have backup Quarterbacks if they aren't going to be used? Dan Orlovsky should have seen action. He's likely to be cut next season in favor of Stanton, and we will never have seen him on the field enough to know if he could play. Martz and Marinelli raved about him in the offseason and in the preseason in each of the past two years, and yet he never saw the field. In Week 15, the Lions were losing by 30 points to the Chargers. Marinelli kept Kitna in the game as our pourous offensive line let San Diego hit Kitna time after time in a game that was lost. At that point in the season, the Lions were still playing for something. I hate Marinelli for his undying loyalty to Kitna.

And now, Marinelli has hired Jim Colletto as our offensive coordinator to replace Mike Martz. A terrible choice for many obvious reasons.

I think this excerpt sums it up perfectly . . .

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2008/01/colletto_a_poor_choice_as_coor.html

I must have missed something for the past two decades, but when has Colletto EVER been regarded as some sort of an offensive genius? Anywhere?
It appears Marinelli has lost his mind.
If Colletto isn't a smashing success, Marinelli might not last the season. If the Lions get off to a bad start in 2008 and their offense isn't running smoothly, Marinelli should be fired. He already has gone through two defensive coordinators in his first two seasons, including hiring his son-in-law, Joe Barry, and now he's changed from Martz to Colletto on offense following his second season. What? His niece wasn't available to become his new offensive coordinator? A nephew, perhaps?

Bottom Line: Marinelli is not worthy of being a head coach in the NFL. He is a fool. And a year from now, when the Lions are coming off a 5-11 season, Millen will just start over with a whole new staff. It will be his fourth attempt at finding a coach capable of making some decent decisions.

detroit4life
01-05-2008, 12:08 AM
if next year goes bad marinelli will be gone but Millen will be as well. No way he gets away with bringing in a 5th coach. but i honeslty think this team can improve off of this season.

Marinelli has made interesting decisions recently. I would have liked to see him interview a couple candidates before making a move so fast. Ultimatly i think Martz hurt this team withhis play calling. So i like the move but now we need to make sure our team will be able to run effectivly or else his move will look terrible.

IMO its hard for me to put an opinion on hows hes doing because he brought new systems in and so far he still hasnt had the players to run his system and ppl are still learning the system. Next year will be the final exam for him. it will be a pass fail grade

Xiomera
01-05-2008, 10:06 AM
if next year goes bad marinelli will be gone but Millen will be as well. No way he gets away with bringing in a 5th coach. but i honeslty think this team can improve off of this season.

Marinelli has made interesting decisions recently. I would have liked to see him interview a couple candidates before making a move so fast. Ultimatly i think Martz hurt this team withhis play calling. So i like the move but now we need to make sure our team will be able to run effectivly or else his move will look terrible.

IMO its hard for me to put an opinion on hows hes doing because he brought new systems in and so far he still hasnt had the players to run his system and ppl are still learning the system. Next year will be the final exam for him. it will be a pass fail grade

Martz wasn't hurting the defense though. The defense was terrible, and Marinelli was still worried almost exclusively about the offense.

It makes no sense at all for Marinelli to rush to a decision about naming a new coordinator. Cam Cameron was out there to be had for example. Why give the job to Colletto? Even Kippy Brown would have been the better internal choice because he would at least bring new ideas to the table, as Colletto is just a retread, and not even a successful guy in past stops.

Sorry, I am gonna blame Marinelli to my death. Martz wasn't the problem. Yeah, he was a stubborn, arrogant, and pompous fool a lot of times for not running the ball, but the defense ranked 31st overall last year . . . we gave up 50+ points twice. The rest of the teams in the league combined only surrendered 50+ points like 5 other times (mostly to the Pats).

[/End Rant]

detroit4life
01-05-2008, 11:52 AM
Martz wasn't hurting the defense though. The defense was terrible, and Marinelli was still worried almost exclusively about the offense.

It makes no sense at all for Marinelli to rush to a decision about naming a new coordinator. Cam Cameron was out there to be had for example. Why give the job to Colletto? Even Kippy Brown would have been the better internal choice because he would at least bring new ideas to the table, as Colletto is just a retread, and not even a successful guy in past stops.

Sorry, I am gonna blame Marinelli to my death. Martz wasn't the problem. Yeah, he was a stubborn, arrogant, and pompous fool a lot of times for not running the ball, but the defense ranked 31st overall last year . . . we gave up 50+ points twice. The rest of the teams in the league combined only surrendered 50+ points like 5 other times (mostly to the Pats).

[/End Rant]

martz hurt this team beacause his play calling got our offense off the field so fast. Our 3rd down percentage sucked because we were mostly 3rd and long because we threw the first 2 downs. If we ran the ball more and took some time off the clock our defense would be on the field less and therefore would not have been as bad

Addict
01-05-2008, 01:15 PM
if the offense can't stay on the field, a defense bound to stink. I still think Marinelli has it in him to be a great coach, but he has GOT to improve his choice of coordinators.

WMD
01-05-2008, 05:15 PM
I blame everyone except Ernie Sims.

Lionsfan93
01-05-2008, 05:32 PM
keep him for one more year if we do not make the playoffs next year, then fire him

WMD
01-05-2008, 05:47 PM
The problem I have with firing people is that it just starts a whole new 'rebuilding' of the team.. What if the new coach doesn't want to run a Cover 2? Our defense will be worse than it was before.. It'll be ANOTHER year of 'learning the playbook' and 'learning the coaches style'.. Another year with an excuse to lose..

It's not like we have an abundance of talent and are expected to go to the Playoffs.. We need some continuity.. At some point in management somebody HAS To realize that the coach isn't always the problem. You can't fix all of your problems in 2 years.