PDA

View Full Version : With the 12th Pick in the 2008 draft the Denver Broncos select . . .

M
01-05-2008, 12:25 AM
Thoughts anyone?

With JAMES LAURINAITIS likely gone, I would like to trade out of the first round. If we had to guess as of today, before the combine and any trades, my guess is either KENNY PHILLIPS or KEITH RIVERS. Every year someone "falls" and we are now in a position to pick that person up (like JAKE LONG running a 5.15) . . . but I doubt it.

Do you not wish we had lost the Minn and were picking 9th?

scottyboy
01-07-2008, 06:41 PM
how's your O-Line looking? I was thinking of some ZBS teams, and obviously you guys came to mind. Could you use an athletic OL like Jeremy Zuttah? I think he'd excel in a ZBS like in Denver. Crazily athletic for an OL. just wondering

brat316
01-07-2008, 06:48 PM
12 th pick, I say either Line or Lb, if Javon is shipped off, you can always move up the board, Stokley can fill in, and let another WR develop by next year, to take over.

12th pick, you can trade out, but the draft doesn't have that many trades happening, usually unless some team really wants out or sees no value at the pick like Eagles. Campbell could be there, Phillips is another tricky pick he could be around where you guys are right now. Has a good combine, and can shoot up the boards like Willis.

ripdw27
01-07-2008, 06:55 PM
if phillips isnt there we should throw in walker n trade down imo.. unless jake long falls

Diehard
01-07-2008, 10:22 PM
how's your O-Line looking? I was thinking of some ZBS teams, and obviously you guys came to mind. Could you use an athletic OL like Jeremy Zuttah? I think he'd excel in a ZBS like in Denver. Crazily athletic for an OL. just wondering

Our O-Line is looking like ****, particularly if it turns out Nalen (old) and Hamilton (repeated concussions) are both done. Lepsis is gone already, which is probably a good thing as he was getting beaten like a rented mule towards the end of the season.

We'll definitely be fishing for some help in the draft, OT for sure and probably someone to take over at C. We've got a fair number of second day picks and that's when Shanahan tends to start looking for OL... the addition of Zuttah wouldn't be too much of a surprise.

As for the original question in this thread - Kenny Phillips.

M
01-08-2008, 12:00 AM
Campbell could be there, Phillips is another tricky pick he could be around where you guys are right now. Has a good combine, and can shoot up the boards like Willis.

I would actually say a better analogy would be LaRon Landry from last year. He was a first round prospect and people were arguing about who will be the first S taken until the combine and he became the clear #1 choice and eventually the #6th pick. Willis was always the best ILB on the board, just as JAMES LAURINAITIS is the best ILB this year (IMO).

Splat
01-08-2008, 12:01 PM
unless jake long falls

Jake Long won't last past the Chiefs be it at four or five if he is even lasts that long.

rascal
01-08-2008, 12:38 PM
I think we should trade down personally. I want a third rounder.

Armac
01-08-2008, 10:33 PM
The fact that Shanahan has given up so many picks to move up in the last few years proves he thought we were close. However we have to get the best offensive tackle available. Maybe the kid from boise state or the kid from pittsburgh. I didn't think the Ohio State MLB looked to great last night. The middle linebacker from USC looked like a beast in the Rose Bowl. Linebacker seems deep. Maybe a D- Tackle?

ripdw27
01-09-2008, 09:46 PM
Jake Long won't last past the Chiefs be it at four or five if he is even lasts that long.

true, i didnt mean it as a strong possibility. id like kenny phillips 1st n then pick up some solid dt n olineman later..

brat316
01-10-2008, 01:16 PM
What about Ellis the DT from USC at 12

jth1331
01-13-2008, 02:44 AM
I say trade down 5 spots or so, pick up a 3rd rounder and take Otah or Clady IMO.
2nd round, I say if a DT is available who would fit our scheme, take him. If not, LB.
3rd round, LB or S.
For one, our OL situation has me concerned. I want that addressed so badly. I have no faith in Pears or Harris at this point, and Kuper moving to tackle won't be helpful. We need a franchise LT, and in order to get one, you need to draft the right guy.

bored of education
01-14-2008, 10:04 PM
If Rey Rey declares I'd go with him!

01-14-2008, 10:07 PM
What about Ellis the DT from USC at 12

If Dorseys injury is as serious as some believe than he would have a better chance of dropping that far than Ellis. Right now Ellis looks like a top 5 pick.

junior2430
01-14-2008, 10:15 PM
I would love Kenny Phillips or Keith Rivers. I doubt Long or Clady are there, but they would be intriguing. As would Sed Ellis, but I doubt he's there either.

I wouldn't mind trading down and picking up some early picks. Javon will more than likely be dealt, so that should get us an extra pick or two as well.

I'm not as concerned with LT as most. I'm pretty high on Ryan Harris. I think out interior line is fine, but RT concerns me. Pears is only adequate at best. I wouldn't mind depth later at all spots, but RT is the only place I think we need a solid starter.

MidwayMonster31
01-17-2008, 10:14 PM
If Phillips is taken by New Orleans or someone else trades up, just trade down. If Kentwan Balmer (DT) is available in the late 1st, he could work. Depending on if they acquire another second or third round pick by that trade, Anthony Collins (OT) from Kansas could be a solid option. The early second round pick should be used on an inside linebacker. Curtis Lofton fits the scheme and allows DJ Williams to move back outside.

jth1331
01-17-2008, 11:51 PM
If Phillips is taken by New Orleans or someone else trades up, just trade down. If Kentwan Balmer (DT) is available in the late 1st, he could work. Depending on if they acquire another second or third round pick by that trade, Anthony Collins (OT) from Kansas could be a solid option. The early second round pick should be used on an inside linebacker. Curtis Lofton fits the scheme and allows DJ Williams to move back outside.

See, I think its really impossible for me to say who I want the Broncos to pick because there are so many options at different positions and it all depends on who is available.
I mean, Oher, Clady, Phillips, Rivers, etc.
Honestly, I don't want to take a DT in the 1st, I think that would be a wasted pick.
OT, Phillips and LB is what needs to be taken. From the looks of it, trade down 5-7 spots, pick up a 2nd or 3rd round pick, take the best OT available, in the 2nd take a LB and the extra pick take S/RB/WR whatever.

ripdw27
01-21-2008, 09:40 PM
ive decided id be satisfied with phillips clady or otah in the 1st and then go from there...

bored of education
01-22-2008, 10:15 AM
Phillip Wheeler might be that guy that shoots up the draft boards.

Addict
01-22-2008, 10:19 AM
... Kenny Phillips, S, The U.

ripdw27
01-22-2008, 10:28 PM
Phillip Wheeler might be that guy that shoots up the draft boards.

dont recognize the name (havent been following the draft so much this year) who is he

ripdw27
01-23-2008, 10:23 PM
i see thanks... so itd be nice to go phillips/wheeler in 1 n 2 then..

jth1331
01-24-2008, 03:30 AM
I'm starting to grow more on taking Phillips in the 1st. He might present himself as the best available player at 12.
If we take Phillips in round 1, I want to take a LB in round 2. Lofton, Wheeler are 2 that come to mind that could be available. What about Grable?
If not LB in round 2, then I'd look at OT or DT. Frank Okam is one name that comes to mind who could help the defense out, providing a big run stuffing body up front. I don't know if there would be good value at OT with our pick in the 2nd round, maybe if Baker falls that far.
I think I'm leaning towards this scenario if Phillips and Clady aren't available at pick 12:
Trade down with the Minnesota Vikings and see if we can trade pick #12 and maybe an extra late 2nd day pick for their pick #17 and both their 3rd round selections.
Question is, though, why would Minnesota want to trade up? Need to have someone at 12 so the trade up would work.

LonghornsLegend
01-24-2008, 03:46 AM
Might as well take phillips if you cant trade down, the defensive line still needs addressed of course but at least you guys will have an elite secondary, DT's will be great value in the 2nd and one of those guys will probably be an impact player for someone, Dre Moore is a guy I think could be there for your 2nd...he is a strong guy and could probably take up 2 blockers to free up the lb's...

Also if DJ is still at mike then im sure a lb will be a priority at some point to get him back outside

Chris
01-24-2008, 07:38 AM
Wheeler is the kind of linebacker Denver needs. Athletic and can blitz.

If you look at the linebackers Denver has talked to or seems to be interested in (Crable, Connor, Guyton, etc.) they are all pretty excellent blitzers. Guyton could be an interesting Day 2 guy; pretty late on Day 2 as a SAM option.

jth1331
01-26-2008, 12:47 PM
So I've been hearing mixed reviews on Phillips. One person has noted that he hasn't done anything at Miami to make him think he's a playmaker that should be going in the upper half of the 1st round. Looking at his statistics, there is no denying he made very few plays. To me, it seems he should be valued as a late 1st rather than high 1st.

ripdw27
01-26-2008, 01:34 PM
on the broncos website there was a story about wr/kr eddie royal outta gt... i think we should take a look at him later in the draft

jth1331
01-27-2008, 05:06 AM
if you'd value phillips in the late first, who would have value at our pick? at this point, sed ellis is likely long gone, as are dorsey, long and clady. otah seems highly iffy.

further, do you think, with how many safeties have been picked high or at least earlier than expected, that phillips would last till the end of the first?

Thats just what I've been hearing, that he isn't necessarily worth that high of a pick.
And if he really is valued in the 20's, then what do you do at pick 12? You trade down.
If all of those guys, Dorsey, Long, Ellis, Clady, and whoever else are gone at pick 12, trade down, pick up an extra 2nd or 3rd round pick.

brat316
01-27-2008, 05:41 PM
at 12 either you take BPA who might not even sometimes play till next year or could be traded away, very unlikely to happen being traded. Or you draft the player you want/need, even though the player is worthy of that pick, be a little aggressive.

ripdw27
01-27-2008, 09:15 PM
i think we should take kenny phillips if hes there.. theres no better safety in the draft and thats certainly a position we need so that champ bailey can focus solely on his man..

Cunningham
01-28-2008, 04:46 PM
we have a lot of possibilities, which means we're a team with a lot of holes, which is depressing

jth1331
01-29-2008, 09:14 AM
i hate when people suggest that a team should "just trade down" like office max makes an Easy Trade button or something. there is no guarantee that any other team would want to move UP in a relatively weak draft. there is no guarantee that we'd be able to get anything approaching value if we DID trade down.

so, let's again assume that phillips isn't a top half value. who do we take in the top half? i have no interest in trading down to 20 to gain an extra 5th round pick or something equally worthless. as of right now, i don't see anyone who might be available at our pick that would prompt anyone to move up, especially if new england is also looking to move down.

I'm sure there will be some player available at 12 that a team will want to move up to get, and trade a 2nd or 3rd round pick for. Sometimes I like the arguements you make, but sometimes you just go right over the top.
No, it isn't a guarantee that we will be able to trade down, but the possibility exists. Lets face it, we need more picks in the early rounds of this draft. We need to pick up at least an extra 2nd or 3rd round pick IMO. A QB may prompt someone to move up, or maybe for Rivers, maybe for a WR available.
I just think at 12, we are in an iffy situation. I don't want to spend that pick now on a safety who hasn't shown he is a playmaker, no DT will be worth that pick(assuming Dorsey and Ellis are gone), I would only want to take an OT at that spot if its Long or Clady(which probably will both be gone by then), and none of the LB's seem worth it for the Broncos to take at that high.

Diehard
01-30-2008, 02:05 AM
so, let's again assume that phillips isn't a top half value. who do we take in the top half?

Assuming there is no value at DT, OT and S (which seems to be the tone of the discussion), I'd think we'd look at:

- Keith Rivers
- Jonathan Stewart
- DeSean Jackson
- Dan Connor

I'm sure some won't like the value at LB... but there is no issue in terms of talent, it's just they are somewhat devalued by the great depth at LB available in this draft. The offensive weapons are potential replacements for two of our more troubled Broncos...

That being said, I don't really believe there can be no OT value at 12... someone good will be available for consideration (Otah, Williams, Baker, etc).

... oh, and never underestimate the Florida connection. Someway, somehow Derrick Harvey might find his way into a Broncos jersey... ;)

M
01-31-2008, 12:12 AM
"A glass half empty is indeed half full, but half a lie will never be half the truth"

Let us just take a second to realize that the draft is a LONG way away. The combine is less than one month and as we all know, players rise and fall significantly prior to, during, and after the combine.

I think we all agree 12th pick is an unfortunate position, we are truely slightly pregnant. This draft does not appear to be so deep at this time that "elite" value seems clearly available at 12; as such, why would someone trade up to number 12, conversely, what value is attainable for trading out of number 12.

I see 6 elite players in this draft (in no particular order), at this time:

1. Darren McFadden RB
2. Chris Long DE
3. Glenn Dorsey DT
4. Sedrick Ellis DT
5. Jake Long OT
6. Matt Ryan QB

I see a few players that are not elite but one or two of them could move into this elite status depending upon draft numbers, workout, and simple PR (as in buzz):

1. Ryan Clady OT
2. Vernon Gholston DE
3. Mike Jenkins CB
4. Kenny Phillips S
5. Brian Brohm QB (very doubtful)

As has been articulated on this thread, what team realistically wants to give up its first and second round pick (or even 1st and 3rd )to move up a few spaces to take Michael Oher or Rashard Mendenhall. . . Dan Snyder on the phone Coach Shanahan??

Shanahan, the GM, always seemingly believes the glass is half full. As such, our exegesis is academic as he could reach for someone. I just fear he reaches for the likes of Calais Campbell (sixe), Derrick Harvey (another Florida D-line) or Dan Connor (not a value at 12's signing price). I hope I am wrong.

The quote incidentially, not mine - written on a bottle of wine - 2003 Pinocchio Nero d' Avola from Sicily. We are half-lying to ourselves if we think we are just 1 player away. . . we want to believe but it is not true . . . but would it not be nice to see Jake Long or Glenn Dorsey in a Broncos uniform?

urinemonkey
01-31-2008, 06:18 PM
Don't rule out an OT at #12 like Clady (if he's there) or Chris Williams (whose stock is on the rise). Or Sam Baker for that matter (hopefully after trading down first).

Honestly, offense might be the way to go in round 1, whether it be OT, RB, or even WR. That's where the value seems to be. Jonathan Stewart and Rashard Mendenhall are both great RB prospects who would do well here, and a WR/KR like DeSean Jackson would impact two areas.

I can't imagine we'd take a DE in round 1. We have a lot invested at that position with Moss and Crowder, and there is plenty of depth behind him. There will be enough good prospects available at #12 at bigger need positions than to have to take a DE.

Jimmy
02-01-2008, 11:16 AM
I am truly shocked that scott would even attempt to give us some sort of End/ DT Tweener. Sure, we could use a DT, but one thing we don't need is a tweener. DT isn't our #1 priority, and anyone who thinks else can come talk to me. There is no logic in passing up on Kenny Phillips, or Clady. It's just mind blowingly absurd that he would even state that Denver is going to reach at #12 for a DE/DT Tweener, when more then half of our first day picks last year were DT's, DE's. We need to upgrade our aging and injury plaugued O-line, we have no safety of the future, and we need help at Lb he's giving us.. Merling? Also, he doesn't even mention that we might need something at another positon. It's all good though, we actually draft Merling, Shanahan will get fired. Seriously, don't drink the cool-aid. This is the equivalent of the Indianapolis Colts using a first day pick (2nd, 3rd rounder) on a QB.

DraftKidWonder
02-11-2008, 06:25 PM
I'd say Johnathan Stewart. He's crazy good and will likely fall there. He can make Jay Cutler better and they need a RELIABLE RB to stick with him in his career.

Namy
02-15-2008, 04:24 PM
We need help everywhere.

BPA

M
02-15-2008, 10:44 PM
Not true!!!

The kid that runs out onto the field and grabs the tee on every kickoff before the opposition runs it back to our 40 yard line at every home game last year was flawless! He clearly does not need to be replaced.

jaffe28
02-26-2008, 04:09 PM
Hello everyone. This is my first post here though I've been lurking around the site for a couple years now. Huge Broncos fan for a long time so I figured I'd post my wish list for the #12 pick to start with. This is in order and only contains guys I think have a good chance of being there at #12.

1. Ryan Clady, OT, Boise St. Best tackle prospect we have a chance of getting. And we need it after Lepsis' retirement.

2. Rashard Mendenhall, RB, Illinois. I didn't have him on my radar for the Broncos until the combine, but that combination of speed and size would be hard to turn down, even though RB isn't a position of need. He seems like a BAP type if he falls to #12.

3. Keith Rivers, OLB, USC. Ian Gold is going bye bye, and well he should since he forgot how to tackle. Rivers looks like the best defensive player we could take at #12 and is at a position of need.

4. DeSean Jackson, WR, Cal. I had him up a spot before the combine but his size bothers me. Still, he's fast as hell and can help in the return game. Among the receivers he looks like a better compliment to Brandon Marshall than some of the other big guys.

5. Chris Williams, OT, Vanderbilt. I had Jeff Otah in my top five before the combine but the reports aren't good. Williams, on the other hand, sounds better than expected. Williams might be a reach at #12 but I'd rather reach for a left tackle prospect with upside than a safety like Phillips just because we need a replacement for John Lynch. Also, his previous relationship with Jay Cutler may help him reach his potential a little easier.

A couple of players I'd really like to see Denver try to get in the later rounds.

1. Owen Schmitt, FB, WVU. This is so the dude I want crashing into linebackers. He also has some receiving skills out of the backfield. We haven't had a well-rounded, impact player at FB since Griffith left and I think it really shows.

2. Jordon Dizon, LB, Colorado. Just a great football player. He'll be a beast on special teams, and his 'want to' will make him quality depth. He's the kind of guy that can come in and out-hustle better athletes. At least for awhile.

jaffe28
02-27-2008, 01:02 AM
1) the value at 12 is crap.

I think this is why people (including me) are looking at offense more than defense. The value at #12 is bad, and it's worse on defense than offense. Personally, if Clady is gone, I'd rather trade down to the 20s when some of the DL, LB, or Phillips won't be as much of a reach. Everyone knows that defense was the issue last year, but if you're stuck with #12 then take a #12caliber player. That looks like it's more likely to be an offensive player than a defensive player.

I agree with your post for the most part, I just think the Broncos are going to be forced to go offense if they can't trade the pick.

rascal
02-27-2008, 04:04 PM
I think Chris Williams is just as good as Otah if not more. He has higher tangibles IMO and is also more developed right now. I'd be happy to take him at 12, but if both him and Clady are there I would trade down a couple of spots and get our third back.

Diehard
02-27-2008, 06:37 PM
I think our best hope for an advantageous trade down is if Mendenhall is still available at 12. His stock is high right now, and we're enough of a threat to take him that it might encourage some team to make an offer. Picking up a lower 1st and a 3rd would be a nice result.

jaffe28
02-28-2008, 01:26 AM
I think our best hope for an advantageous trade down is if Mendenhall is still available at 12. His stock is high right now, and we're enough of a threat to take him that it might encourage some team to make an offer. Picking up a lower 1st and a 3rd would be a nice result.

I had a similar thought, and if someone is really enamored of Mendenhall it might happen. The problem I see is that a team close enough to us so we'd only move down a few spots and pick up a third might be satisfied to just take Jonathan Stewart who is pretty similar. If a team farther back was thinking about it, say the Seahawks at #25, they'd have to give up more than a swap and a third rounder to move up as far as #12, so I still think we'd still be in a bit of jam in terms of trading down. You're right that Mendenhall has trade value there, but Stewart kind of blunts it.

rascal
02-28-2008, 09:10 AM
Are you guys serious? We are not going to take a RB in the first round. Why are you even talking about it...it's ludicrous. Henry and Young are more than capable of doing a good job. We have too many holes to blow a pick on a RB.

the decider13
02-28-2008, 09:17 AM
I really like mendenhall and am excited to see what he does in the pros, but he shouldnt be a bronco. We got a couple good backs now, and shanny has a knack for picking up late round backs who are great.

I'm all for trading down if the good DT/DE/LBs are gone. I dont really want kenny phillips at 12 either. I wouldnt mind trading up, but the only players I would be willing to go up for are gholston or ellis. I really love the way gholston plays, and I think he has a lot of potential in the league.

But I know the broncos too well...they are gonna blow the draft somehow

Diehard
02-28-2008, 10:57 AM
The problem I see is that a team close enough to us so we'd only move down a few spots and pick up a third might be satisfied to just take Jonathan Stewart who is pretty similar. If a team farther back was thinking about it, say the Seahawks at #25, they'd have to give up more than a swap and a third rounder to move up as far as #12, so I still think we'd still be in a bit of jam in terms of trading down.

The thing about Stewart is that he's not a great fit for a team that zone blocks or runs a lot of stretch / outside / cutback plays. Mendenhall is a lot more flexible in that respect... and therefore that creates a bigger market.

I don't think you can expect to really get a lot on a trade down, as the talent level in the first round is pretty stable (and moderate) once you get past the first half-dozen prospects. Swapping down into the 20's and picking up a 3rd and something else (e.g. a 3rd in '09) would be just fine. Putting too much emphasis on JJ's draft value chart is just going to hinder a mutually beneficial deal from getting done.

jaffe28
02-28-2008, 11:54 AM
Are you guys serious? We are not going to take a RB in the first round. Why are you even talking about it...it's ludicrous.

We have to talk about Mendenhall because he's very likely to be the BAP at #12. The trend in the discussion is about trading the pick to someone who wants him, not taking him ourselves.

The only other player that looks like he'll be a great value and might fall to #12 is Clady. Him I would take in a heartbeat.

Unless Keith Rivers is still there, there is going to be zero value on defense at #12. Phillips at this point is going to be a reach. Kentwan Balmer is going to be a major reach. Dan Connor is a reach. The only defensive position that might have value at #12 is CB and that's the one postion we don't actually need.

So if Clady and Rivers are gone, and if you can't trade back you either have to take Mendenhall as the BAP, make a major reach for the best available DT, LB, or S, or (and this would be my preference if we get stuck with the pick) make a smaller reach to take the best available LT prospect which will be either Williams or Otah.

Cunningham
02-28-2008, 08:33 PM
as mentioned before the value at pick 12 isn't very good but it's not horrible either. assuming we stay where we are, the best way to go in the first round would be to address the defense. i don't see ellis or dorsey falling to us, which isn't a big concern because shanny seems intent on acquiring a veteran defensive tackle via trade. this is a HUGE need for us, the play from our tackles this past season was atrocious. the addition of a legitimate tackle could do wonders for our talented, but inexperienced line.

with the defensive line set, our primary focus shifts to drafting keith rivers. not only did we have a pathetic rush defense last season, covering tight ends also proved to be a huge weakness. rivers excels in coverage and has been compared to running like a 'gazelle'. he also brings leadership to a defense that lacked an identity, as champ mentioned many times this offseason. hopefully he'll be able to become what al wilson meant to our team in years past.

if rivers is off the board then kenny phillips becomes our main target. aside from defensive tackle, safety is our most glaring need. some would argue that he's a reach but i disagree. he has excellent size at 6'2'' and over 210 pounds. his forty time of 4.54 was not mind blowing, but sean taylor ran the same time four years ago and he turned out all right. from what i've seen from game tape, phillips is a reliable tackler and an overall smart player. he's developed a relationship with ed reed which can only help him. he seems to carry himself much like champ does, a little quiet but when he says something people listen.

our defense is in need of improvement far more then the offense and the offensive prospects aren't that intriguing besides. clady and williams are possibilities for a franchise left tackle but neither one really impresses me. clady didn't play against top competition and isn't overall physically dominating. williams has been described as soft and like clady, lacks a killer instict. wide receiver value is far better in the second or even fourth round and with all of our needs we don't have the luxury of taking a running back in the first round unless by some miracle mcfadden falls to us.

should be a fun draft day

jth1331
02-29-2008, 02:12 AM
See, Phillips will be a solid safety, I just think people will "expect more" from him if he's taken in the top 15. I'm seeing a lot less people making him a guaranteed top 15 pick now too.
Ryan Clady has to be the #1 target IMO, solidify the LT spot for the next decade. If anyone thinks that LT isn't, essentially, the primary need, then have fun watching Cutler on his back and Ramsey filling in for him when he gets injured doing to our poor LT competition as it is right now.
I know the Broncos have drastic needs on defense, but I want the guy who will be QB for this team to be protected.
As for if Clady is gone, then I without a doubt want to trade down. Desean Jackson, heck no please. RB? No thanks. DE? Nope. DT? No one worthy of taking that will be available in the 1st. That leaves LB and well, S as the positions available. I'm not totally enamored about taking a LB in the 1st, I honestly don't think adding a LB will help the team that much without addressing the front 4. Now S, yes, that is different. Personally, Broncos may need to reach on Phillips at 12, kinda like the Bills did with Whitner a couple years back. He may not be the "value" at that pick, but he will be a solid(meaning good) safety for years. Nothing spectacular, fancy or special, but he won't lose us games, however he also won't win games with a game clutching interception or fumble.

urinemonkey
03-03-2008, 04:46 PM
however he also won't win games with a game clutching interception or fumble.

How do you know he won't? He has the ability to, as he proved against Clemson in that triple overtime thriller his freshman year, coming up with the game-winning INT.

At #12, my top 10 targets would be the following in order:

1. Keith Rivers (Perfect WILL and Ian Gold replacement)
2. Dan Connor (Very solid but not as athletic as Rivers)
3. Kenny Phillips
4. Chris Williams (I actually like him better than Clady - only gave up 1 sack this season playing in the SEC, a conference with far superior talent than the WAC.)
5. Ryan Clady
6. Phillip Merling (Wright compares him to Trevor Pryce - wouldn't mind having that back)
7. DeSean Jackson (brings a downfield threat and a dangerous PR, could be a great #2 receiver ala Bernard Berrian)
8. Rashard Mendenhall (just because he will be great IMO.)
9. Jonathan Stewart (just a notch below Mendenhall)
10. Derrick Harvey (kinda weak against the run but is a great pass-rusher)

Trading down is preferable though, for reasons repeated plenty of times. Get additional picks, better value, etc.

In the off-chance we trade up (probably with New England IMO), either Dorsey or Ellis would no doubt be the target.

Jimmy
03-04-2008, 07:08 AM
this is the part of the season where i become cynical and ask, does it really even ****ing matter? how many decent first round picks have we made? we'd be better off trading out of the draft entirely and just signing UDFAs.

you know... i was scrolling through, reading everyone's crazy posts. Sure, in the perfect world, some big time OT falls to us at 12. But that ain't happening. Broncos have 3 decent home grown picks on their team right now. DJ, Brandon, and Cutler. Before last year, only DJ had remotely proven himself. That's how bad we are at drafting. 1 Guy that we originally drafted on our whole team, who we'd know would make an impact week 1 to week 16. Nalen and Lepsis don't count, they were gone. Seriously, go through last years roster name me someone other then DJ who denver had drafted and had remotely proven themself by week 1

the decider13
03-04-2008, 09:06 AM
My fav pick as of late is Chris Williams. Good OT with the potential to be the franchise LT. Out of Vandy, I think he will be there at 12 for sure.

I would actually take him over clady

M
03-04-2008, 11:31 PM
I must be missing something, but please explain to me why we did not keep Walker until the draft. I thought we would try to trade him during the Draft (the same way we acquired him if you recall)? I did not think he had a bonus due until well after the draft so why did we just let him go now, as opposed to trying to pick up something for him (say a 4th round pick or even a 2nd from Crazy Al or Dan Snyder who trades away his draft picks every year)? What am I missing? Thanks!

jaffe28
03-04-2008, 11:39 PM
I must be missing something, but please explain to me why we did not keep Walker until the draft. I thought we would try to trade him during the Draft (the same way we acquired him if you recall)? I did not think he had a bonus due until well after the draft so why did we just let him go now, as opposed to trying to pick up something for him (say a 4th round pick or even a 2nd from Crazy Al or Dan Snyder who trades away his draft picks every year)? What am I missing? Thanks!

I think we owed him a $5 million roster bonus on March 4th so we cut him to not have to pay it.

keylime_5
03-05-2008, 09:16 AM
The way I see it, Clady and Rivers will be gone, Phillips will probably go late round 1, and Denver won't go RB in round 1 as usual. I gotta admit it's not the best year for you guys to be picking 12th, but if you get a guy like Chris Williams it will be worth it. Are you guys looking at an OT in round 1 possibly or are ya gonna stick with Harris at left tackle and not get Williams? Kentwan Balmer seems like a very possible Bronco pick though even though he doesn't get the hype of other top 20 picks.

Diehard
03-05-2008, 10:48 AM
Are you guys looking at an OT in round 1 possibly or are ya gonna stick with Harris at left tackle and not get Williams? Kentwan Balmer seems like a very possible Bronco pick though even though he doesn't get the hype of other top 20 picks.

One of the coaching staff (Dennison, IIRC) pretty much came out and said they were looking for an OT. The only question is whether they still feel they can do better by drafting OL in the later rounds. I think Williams would be a fine pick if we're willing to take OT early.

Balmer not getting the hype? IMO, he's way overhyped as it is if he's being considered at the 12 spot. Balmer isn't any better than Dre Moore at DT... he just does well on the eyeball test.

I think the team needs to play it relatively safe in the draft. We've pretty much been burnt on every move recently. We need to get solid guys who are going to be able to come in and contribute. No character risks, gambles or reaches... we don't have a deep enough talent pool to absorb the hit when things go wrong.

jaffe28
03-05-2008, 12:07 PM
I'd think that they would consider Williams at #12. He's a better value than either Phillips or Balmer that early. If Denver can't trade out of the #12 spot they'd certainly be best off taking the best OT prospect and then taking the best available S or DT early in the 2nd.

the decider13
03-06-2008, 09:15 AM
I'd think that they would consider Williams at #12. He's a better value than either Phillips or Balmer that early. If Denver can't trade out of the #12 spot they'd certainly be best off taking the best OT prospect and then taking the best available S or DT early in the 2nd.

hey I've been saying C. Williams for a while at #12 in all the mocks. I really think that it is gonna happen. I think I actually say it a couple posts up.

urinemonkey
03-23-2008, 02:40 PM
If Clady falls to #12 it's a no-brainer imo. If not, then it's a tough choice between Chris Williams and Mendenhall. If Shanny is sold on Harris as our LT, then the pick could very well be Mendenhall, even if Clady is there. This is assuming we don't trade up or down, which is of course possible. I wouldn't rule out DeSean Jackson at #12 either, just because of the boost to our return game and big play ability he would bring, but I think the fact that he is severely undersized will be enough to scare them away.

the decider13
03-23-2008, 04:00 PM
I dunno if I can see them passing on clady for mendenhall. I can see passing on williams, but I think if clady falls there, the broncos will trip over themselves getting there pick to the podium.

jaffe28
03-23-2008, 07:22 PM
I dunno if I can see them passing on clady for mendenhall. I can see passing on williams, but I think if clady falls there, the broncos will trip over themselves getting there pick to the podium.

I agree. I think that Williams is the most likely pick, but the guy Denver wants most is Clady.

The only way I'll be satisfied if they go away from OT is if somehow Ellis or Dorsey falls to us. but that's unlikely.

I doubt Mendenhall is going to be the pick, but you never know with Shanny...