PDA

View Full Version : Perfect Year For Playoff?

kwilk103
01-05-2008, 12:56 AM
anyone else think this would have been the perfect year for a playoff? there is no clear #1 or #2 team

usc showed they could make a case against illinois
same with uga and wvu

before the bowls started ou had a case too

think if it was 8 teams---6 bcs conference champs, and 2 wildcards

wvu, osu, usc, lsu, vt, ou are the champs
uga, and either mizzou/hawaii as the wildcards

you could have some great games

TouchdownUSC
01-05-2008, 02:23 AM
we can only hope for a play off in the future. its really frustrating to see how much of a joke college football is becoming. this is one of the few years where i am actually in favor of having a split championship title.

MaxV
01-05-2008, 08:28 AM
EVERY year is a perfect year for the playoffs.

I ALWAYS hated the BCS.

Any system that has the title game decided by voting is IDIOTIC.

Sniper
01-05-2008, 08:38 AM
think if it was 8 teams---6 bcs conference champs, and 2 wildcards

wvu, osu, usc, lsu, vt, ou are the champs
uga, and either mizzou/hawaii as the wildcards

I think it should be the top 16 teams so you could have all conference winners and then some wild cards.

So...

#1 Ohio State vs. #16 Tennessee
#2 LSU vs. #15 Clemson
#3 Virginia Tech vs. #14 Boston College
#4 Oklahoma vs. #13 Illinois
#5 Georgia vs. #12 Florida
#6 Missouri vs. #11 Arizona State
#7 USC vs. #10 Hawaii
#8 Kansas vs. #9 West Virginia

That'd be pretty nice..

Looking at those matchups....

OSU over UT, LSU over Clemson, VA Tech over BC, Oklahoma over Illinois, Georgia over Florida, Missouri over ASU, USC over Hawaii, WVU over Kansas

(Highest remaining vs. lowest remaining)

OSU over WVU, USC over LSU, Missouri over VA Tech, Georgia over Oklahoma

USC over OSU, Georgia over Missouri

USC over Georgia

Just a guess....

MaxV
01-05-2008, 08:49 AM
I think it should be the top 16 teams so you could have all conference winners and then some wild cards.

So...

#2 LSU vs. #15 Clemson
#7 USC vs. #10 Hawaii

That'd be pretty nice..

OSU over UT, LSU over Clemson, VA Tech over BC, Oklahoma over Illinois, Georgia over Florida, Missouri over ASU, USC over Hawaii, WVU over Kansas

USC over Georgia

Just a guess....

Yeah, I like that format, but one of the biggest reasons NCAAF doesn't want the playoffs is because they don't want to add games.

I think a more realistic format is having top 8 teams make it and start at the quarterfinals.

Sniper
01-05-2008, 09:02 AM
Yeah, I like that format, but one of the biggest reasons NCAAF doesn't want the playoffs is because they don't want to add games.

I think a more realistic format is having top 8 teams make it and start at the quarterfinals.

Doesn't make sense that "they don't want to add games" because they were able to do that for 1-AA, II, and III. Not saying you're wrong, but it's dumb logic by the NCAA.

I guess we do the top 8 ranked teams then, or six conference winners and 2 WC? Because if you're not the best team in your conference, how can you make a case for the best team in the country?

Turtlepower
01-05-2008, 08:27 PM
Just to say one thing, if there was a playoff, then WVU wouldn't be punished that much for losing to Pitt.

diabsoule
01-05-2008, 09:52 PM
EVERY year is a perfect year for the playoffs.

I ALWAYS hated the BCS.

Any system that has the title game decided by voting is IDIOTIC.

Same here. I think every year this is an argument as to who should be in the national championship game and who shouldn't be.

So...

#2 LSU vs. #15 Clemson
#7 USC vs. #10 Hawaii

That'd be pretty nice..

USC over Georgia

Just a guess....

I would love a 16 team playoff but I think that is a tad bit unrealistic as it would make the season far longer than it already is. You have to make room for finals, Christmas break, travel time, game planning, and everything that goes into a playoff.

I think an 8, 10, 0r 12 team playoff would be ideal. In a 10 or 12 team playoff the #1 and #2 ranked teams get bye weeks just like in the NFL.

kwilk103
01-05-2008, 10:11 PM
the only years the bcs hasnt been an issue are miami-osu; tex-usc

those are the only 2 i remember

kwilk103
01-05-2008, 10:12 PM
Just to say one thing, if there was a playoff, then WVU wouldn't be punished that much for losing to Pitt.

you could say that about usc-stanford

BeerBaron
01-06-2008, 12:14 AM
well lets think about this. the NCAA's 3 biggest reasons for saying no to playoffs is because it would add games, would make the regular season less important, and weaken the reasoning behind division championships.

so in my opinion, to lessen the addition of the games, cut out the cream-puff weeks early in the season where teams like OSU go about whomping the youngstown states of the world. theres a week. then, cut out division championships for all the divisions. its not fair that team can run their division during the regular season only to lose to a team whos like 6-6 in the division championship game. also, use up all these extra weeks in between the end of the regular season and the important games.

and to keep the regular season and division standing important, make it an 8 team playoff with the 6 "big" division winners getting automatic bids plus 2 more at large teams.

and there we'd have it settled IMO

dabears10
01-06-2008, 12:18 AM
well lets think about this. the NCAA's 3 biggest reasons for saying no to playoffs is because it would add games, would make the regular season less important, and weaken the reasoning behind division championships.

You forgot they are students and they have finals. They use that lame excuse as well.

TigerBait45
01-06-2008, 12:56 AM
Wanna know why USC doesn't have a case? They lost to a 41 point underdog. At home. Just because they beat an Illinois team that probably shouldn't have been in the BCS to begin with doesn't mean they deserve a share of the title.

I'm sick of hearing about how much they deserve a split title. Next time they need to beat Stanford.

That being said..I seriously want a playoff.

GB12
01-06-2008, 01:00 AM
I know everyone disagrees with me, but I don't want a playoff system. I like the BCS.

Turtlepower
01-06-2008, 01:38 AM
you could say that about usc-stanford

I agree with that as well, but there would be a lot of coaches that just decide to rest their starters at the last game of the season in preparation for the playoffs.

soybean
01-06-2008, 02:33 PM
Wanna know why USC doesn't have a case? They lost to a 41 point underdog. At home. Just because they beat an Illinois team that probably shouldn't have been in the BCS to begin with doesn't mean they deserve a share of the title.

I'm sick of hearing about how much they deserve a split title. Next time they need to beat Stanford.

That being said..I seriously want a playoff.

just so you know USC fans don't think they deserve a split title. It's everyone else saying it.

do we think USC is the best team in the country? of course. do we deserve/should we get a share of the title? of course not.

ps. if anyone deserves a split it's georgia.

JT Jag
01-06-2008, 02:35 PM
I know everyone disagrees with me, but I don't want a playoff system. I like the BCS.It's a witch! Burn it!

Namy
01-06-2008, 10:43 PM
i want a playoff system too, but I can understand why NCAA wants to keep the BCS. The regular season is like a playoff. Lose a game and your shot of getting to the championship game is deeply hurt (except this year). Every game matters in college football with how the BCS is set up.

However, if a playoff is instituted, teams would rest their players once they locked up their conference, meaning you would have some teams resting players during RIVALRY week, which would be a biiiiig no no. Could you imagine either UM or OSU resting its players against each other?

soybean
01-07-2008, 01:07 AM
i want a playoff system too, but I can understand why NCAA wants to keep the BCS. The regular season is like a playoff. Lose a game and your shot of getting to the championship game is deeply hurt (except this year). Every game matters in college football with how the BCS is set up.

However, if a playoff is instituted, teams would rest their players once they locked up their conference, meaning you would have some teams resting players during RIVALRY week, which would be a biiiiig no no. Could you imagine either UM or OSU resting its players against each other?

people say that but if that were true a two loss LSU team would never have made it this far.

Sniper
01-07-2008, 06:11 AM
just so you know USC fans don't think they deserve a split title. It's everyone else saying it.

do we think USC is the best team in the country? of course. do we deserve/should we get a share of the title? of course not.

ps. if anyone deserves a split it's georgia.

Georgia doesn't deserve ****. They didn't even win their own division, let alone conference.

Namy
01-08-2008, 11:08 AM
people say that but if that were true a two loss LSU team would never have made it this far.

Note that I said "except for this year". Usually one loss is the cut off, many times, one loss is enough to knock you out of the championship. And again, if the playoff were to be instituted, rivalry games at the end of the season could become "meaningless". Also, there are times where a lower seed gives a better match up in the post season... could you imagine UM or OSU purposefully losing to each other for that cause?

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
01-08-2008, 11:26 AM
The best way to go about creating a playoff system would be to take the 4 winners of the Rose, Sugar, Fiesta and Orange Bowls, re-seed them and have a 4-team playoff. It's actually the only idea I'd be in favor of. Anything more takes away from the games. Honestly, BCS has its flaws but it's still better than a 16-team playoff would be.

Jughead10
01-08-2008, 12:03 PM
There is a clear #1 this year. LSU is clearly the best team in the country. I'm not a huge fan of the BCS but they generally get the champ right in my opinion. I just don't care for how they go about doing it. I'm tired of hearing USC should be considered as the best. USC isn't nearly as good as they have been in the past. I personally think LSU beats USC worse than they did Ohio St.