PDA

View Full Version : Backup/Role Player Better Pro than the Star

kingjames
01-05-2008, 12:26 PM
Curious to see if we can identify guys who get less publicity in their position than a team mate who will make a better Pro.

Let me throw out two possibilities for discussion:

Arrington over Manningham
Jones over McFadden

Thoughts???

Gay Ork Wang
01-05-2008, 12:31 PM
I think Jones and McFadden is going to be like Portis and Gore...only that they are going to be picked higher

JagHombre22
01-05-2008, 12:43 PM
I think Jones and McFadden is going to be like Portis and Gore...only that they are going to be picked higher

that's a pretty fair assessment...although I do not think Felix Jones is as hard of a back as Gore is....

Gay Ork Wang
01-05-2008, 12:56 PM
wasnt comparing Dmas with Portis and jones with gore. I was more comparing the fact that both guys were good at College and there were discussions about them like there are about Jones and DMac now. The question being who is better

Bobo
01-05-2008, 01:04 PM
More so due to injuries, but UT TE Brad Cottam could have a more productive NFL career than his college #'s suggest. Wasn't just injuries though, the Vols hardly used TE's for awhile.

He's got eggcelent size and decent speed. Decent blocker too. Could be a steal.

01-05-2008, 01:12 PM
Hunter Cantwell over Brian Brohm? Who knows Im not so high on Brohm so I certainly think its a possibility.

kingjames
01-06-2008, 01:35 PM
Here are a few odd ones that come to mind of guys who I think could be better pros than their more heralded college team mate:

James over Harvin as a RB
Brace over Raji as NT
A little late but, Harvey over Moss as a OLB
Brandon Minor over Mike Hart

Interested in more ideas with advocating for either ....

Gatz
01-06-2008, 06:16 PM
I think there is a very very very slight chance that Jones is better than DMac as I think DMac is a better prospect than even AD but I could definitely see Arrington over Manningham.

ThePudge
01-06-2008, 07:07 PM
How about Marcus Freeman over James Laurinaitis?

JL gets all the hype, but Freeman is a superb player in his own right. He's still raw, but has had a couple of nice years and came into his own a little more this season. At roughly 6'2 236, he has the size and should run under a 4.6. If he plays well tomorrow and tests well at the combine, I think we could have a first round sleeper. As I said, he's raw. His instincts and his reads have improved every game and are starting to catch up to his athletic ability. There's a good chance, in my opinion, that he's a better pro than college player.

SuperKevin
01-06-2008, 07:51 PM
How about Marcus Freeman over James Laurinaitis?

JL gets all the hype, but Freeman is a superb player in his own right. He's still raw, but has had a couple of nice years and came into his own a little more this season. At roughly 6'2 236, he has the size and should run under a 4.6. If he plays well tomorrow and tests well at the combine, I think we could have a first round sleeper. As I said, he's raw. His instincts and his reads have improved every game and are starting to catch up to his athletic ability. There's a good chance, in my opinion, that he's a better pro than college player.

Marcus freeman is coming back to school for his senior season

ATLDirtyBirds
01-06-2008, 07:53 PM
I never have bought into the whole Jones>McFadden thing. Not that close in my mind either.

Cashmoney
01-07-2008, 12:30 PM
I could see Lavelle Hawkins being better than Desean Jackson.

etk
01-07-2008, 12:39 PM
More so due to injuries, but UT TE Brad Cottam could have a more productive NFL career than his college #'s suggest. Wasn't just injuries though, the Vols hardly used TE's for awhile.

He's got eggcelent size and decent speed. Decent blocker too. Could be a steal.

I also agree that Cottam's an underrated prospect. He has the best size of any TE in the draft and his speed is good from what I've seen. He was Tennessee's blocking TE so he must be a good blocker for a prospect. I think he could catch on with a team later in the draft like a Matt Spaeth type player. A balanced #2 TE.

bored of education
01-07-2008, 12:39 PM
Vince Carter ended up having a better career than Antawn Jamison. I know different sport and different dynamic. But it can def. happen. Lets just say Matt Cassell ends up being better than Carson Palmer which WONT happen. Felix Jones will be solid. I think it can occur with WR's and RB's. Hawkins for sure, I can see him having a better career than DeSean.

VoteLynnSwan
01-07-2008, 12:41 PM
Vince Carter ended up having a better career than Antawn Jamison. I know different sport and different dynamic. But it can def. happen. Lets just say Matt Cassell ends up being better than Carson Palmer which WONT happen. Felix Jones will be solid. I think it can occur with WR's and RB's. Hawkins for sure, I can see him having a better career than DeSean.

Matt Cassell was also a backup to Matt Leinart, and it's not impossible that Cassell could end up better than Leinart.

etk
01-07-2008, 12:42 PM
Matt Cassell was also a backup to Matt Leinart, and it's not impossible that Cassell could end up better than Leinart.

If he ever gets the chance to start in NE's QB friendly offense he will end up better than Leinart.

Patriots16-0
01-07-2008, 02:15 PM
Hunter Cantwell over Brian Brohm
Adrian Arrington over Mario Manningham
Noel Devine over Steve Slaton

Chase Coffman over Martin Rucker? I don't think so...

etk
01-07-2008, 02:17 PM

Nice one. I'm definitely in agreement with that one.

Also, Jarrett Brown over Pat White.

VoltronViking
01-07-2008, 05:06 PM

hmmmm, i thought Devine was already a legend (from all the youtube hype) and was annointed the next Barry Sanders even before he got to WVA

Turtlepower
01-07-2008, 05:19 PM
I've been saying it for a couple months now...

Derek Lokey over Frank Okam.

SuperKevin
01-07-2008, 05:25 PM
I've been saying it for a couple months now...

Derek Lokey over Frank Okam.

Roy Miller>>>>>>>>>both of them