PDA

View Full Version : Jamie Silva BC

lionsfan81
01-05-2008, 03:50 PM
I've watched this guy play and I think he's a future star in the draft. The guy just makes plays all over the field. He's a great tackler and really is able to read plays well in coverage. Had 125 tackles and 8 INTs from the FS position, well actually he might be SS I'm not really sure. He really breaks on the ball well and is always right there on every play run or pass. He's also athletic enough that he is the PR for the team. Reminds me of a poor man's Urlacher. Anyone else with a thought on him...Scott??? I don't see him on the safety rankings so I assume I'm one of the few that is high on him. If hes a late round pick I think he will end up a very good one for some team.

BamaFalcon59
01-05-2008, 03:54 PM
He is a great college player at free safety.

But as far as pro projection I have no idea.

lionsfan81
01-05-2008, 04:06 PM
He is a great college player at free safety.

But as far as pro projection I have no idea.

hes on the lighter side, 5 11 and 205-210. His 40 seems to be 4.5-4.6. Probably doesn't have the best timed speed but could make up for it with quickness and his ability to read plays.

oh and being a state fan i saw him in the Champs sports bowl. He made tackles and plays all over the field. Our qb airmailed his 2 INTs to him, but still great plays by silva none the less. Oh and on Devin Thomas's opening KR that he almost took to the house, Silva was the one who caught up to him at the end and made the touchdown saving tackle.

Babylon
01-05-2008, 04:32 PM
Reminds me a little of Tim Fox who used to play for the Patriots.

bored of education
01-05-2008, 04:33 PM
HE will be a solid Special teams contributor

01-05-2008, 04:58 PM
I like him as one of those day two type steals.

Number 10
01-05-2008, 09:35 PM
I've seen old scouting reports of John Lynch...and a lot of them are similar to what I am seeing on Silva. Just thought I'd throw it out there-

I personally like him as a prospect, think he would be worth a 4th rounder.

etk
01-05-2008, 09:42 PM
*prays this doesn't turn into another one of those threads*

Silva is one of the most underrated players of the draft. Scott sometimes baffles me with his rankings, but oh well. Silva is not only a productive playmaker against solid competition, he actually has skills that can be relayed to the next level. He reminds me of a poor man's Troy Polamalu. He's quick and closes well on passes and ballcarriers, he has good range in coverage and always seems to be in the right place at the right tame (AKA all over the field), he's a good tackler and he has a warrior mentality. He just has the instincts and passion that any team likes in a player. I think he will be a reliable starter at FS, beast on coverage units, and solid option as a punt returner. I think he fits well in two types of defenses: a Cover 2/zone defense where he can roam an area and break on the ball for sticks/picks, or a defense like Pittsburgh where he can move around in and out of the box to just use his great instincts. Watching Silva play defense and special teams gets me excited, especially in the offseason...n/h.

Number 10
01-05-2008, 10:00 PM
Another thinf about this kis that is intriguing is how much he has progessed on a yearly basis. He barely made the team his freshman year, and showed no instincts in coverage until the second half of 2006. Now, he overcomes any physical shortcomings with his ability to diagnose routes and his ability to read a QB. High ceiling here.

AkiliSmith
01-05-2008, 11:39 PM
He looks shorter than 5'10

bored of education
01-05-2008, 11:43 PM

Silva is one of the most underrated players of the draft. Scott sometimes baffles me with his rankings, but oh well. Silva is not only a productive playmaker against solid competition, he actually has skills that can be relayed to the next level. He reminds me of a poor man's Troy Polamalu. He's quick and closes well on passes and ballcarriers, he has good range in coverage and always seems to be in the right place at the right tame (AKA all over the field), he's a good tackler and he has a warrior mentality. He just has the instincts and passion that any team likes in a player. I think he will be a reliable starter at FS, beast on coverage units, and solid option as a punt returner. I think he fits well in two types of defenses: a Cover 2/zone defense where he can roam an area and break on the ball for sticks/picks, or a defense like Pittsburgh where he can move around in and out of the box to just use his great instincts. Watching Silva play defense and special teams gets me excited, especially in the offseason...n/h.

I understand that. Some good points. I seen him play 6-8 times this year. He does have great instincts that is for sure. Poor man's Polamalu? Interesting. i wonder what his overall combine stats will be if he runs even a 4.55 would be good because he has such a high football IQ his instincts and knowledge would make up for lack of speed.

Forenci
01-05-2008, 11:53 PM
I really liked seeing Silva having seen several BC games this year. He just has great instincts and plays all over the field. I'm not sure I consider him like Polamalu. Not really sure who I'd compare him to at this point. I really loved what I saw though, he just looks like a great safety all-around. A real nose for the football. Wouldn't mind the Giants spending a 3rd or 4th on him at that point in time.

Plus they even did a nice sideline story about him on ABC on how's a 'dumpster diver'. I think he gave a piece of advice we could all use, "It's best to stay away from hospital dumpsters when going dumpster diving."

Well said my friend, well said. It's advice I hope we all make good use of.

lionsfan81
01-06-2008, 12:11 AM

Nice analysis. You and I share the same opinion on him. Actually it seems like a lot of people do. I can see the Polamalu comparison now that you say that. I also think he could fit really well in a Cover 2/zone too. I really really like him as a safety, but I'm pretty sure the lions won't be drafting a safety this year. I definitely think this guy will turn out to be a good one, especially on special teams. Whoever gets him should be getting a steal. I bet he will go higher than people think though. I'm going with a 3rd round pick, but it's a little too early to tell.

lionsfan81
01-06-2008, 12:16 AM
Plus they even did a nice sideline story about him on ABC on how's a 'dumpster diver'. I think he gave a piece of advice we could all use, "It's best to stay away from hospital dumpsters when going dumpster diving."

Well said my friend, well said. It's advice I hope we all make good use of.

haha that is great advice, I will use that wisely.

Here's an article on his treasure finding.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?id=3087954

Buffalo M
01-06-2008, 06:25 AM
I understand that. Some good points. I seen him play 6-8 times this year. He does have great instincts that is for sure. Poor man's Polamalu? Interesting. i wonder what his overall combine stats will be if he runs even a 4.55 would be good because he has such a high football IQ his instincts and knowledge would make up for lack of speed.

Well stated. In the 4-5 games I've seen BC play, he's ALWAYS making plays. The measurables are probably average but it's what happens during the game that counts. Had to ignore.

DSlay4
01-06-2008, 12:05 PM
IMO he's the best safety in college football

Primetime21
01-06-2008, 12:28 PM
haha that is great advice, I will use that wisely.

Here's an article on his treasure finding.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?id=3087954

Why go dumster diving when you can go garaging?

lionsfan81
01-06-2008, 12:31 PM
Why go dumster diving when you can go garaging?

because it's actually legal lol

Marion Barber III 24
01-06-2008, 12:35 PM
Reminds me of Brian Russell. Not good time #'s... just shows up and plays great.

Babylon
01-06-2008, 12:44 PM
Would say 40 time is critical as to his draft status.