PDA

View Full Version : 1st round pick???

TACKLE
01-05-2008, 05:48 PM
I'm having a tough time figuring out who the Jets should take in the 1st in my mock. I have Chris Long, Vernon Gholston, Darren McFadden and Glenn Dorsey all going in the Top 5 picks. I thought about giving them Laurenitas but they have Vilma and Harris. They could go with Sedrick Ellis but he's not a very good fit in the 3-4. If those 4 guys are gone, what should the Jets do with their 1st round pick?

derza222
01-05-2008, 06:15 PM
Is Jake Long gone as well? It's tough taking a RT at the 6 spot but better than doing it top 5, given who's available with no trades I'd go with Long there. If he's not honestly your guess is as good as mine.

BroadwayJoe10
01-05-2008, 06:22 PM
That's one of those scenarios that we've been discussing for a while now in our discussion boards. If C.long, Gholston, McFadden, Dorsey and im assuming J.long is off the board as well than i really think i can't say anyone right now until the combine comes around. As of now the best players on the board are something that we don't need; Ellis isn't a good fit, Otah would be a beast on the right, but is too high for a RT, we do'nt need to pay big money for Kenny phillips and unless we trade Vilma laurenitas isn't needed either. I think if vilma is moved than laurenitas could be the selection, but i'll just say f*ck it and possibly otah for now. Sorry, that doesn't answer your question, but barring any trades for us i can't say who we'd select if all those guys are off the board until the combine comes around. And iff matt ryan is off the board and J.long is still available than i bet someone will want to trade up for him, but i can't say who we'll draft until the combine.

BroadwayJoe10
01-05-2008, 06:24 PM
Is Jake Long gone as well? It's tough taking a RT at the 6 spot but better than doing it top 5, given who's available with no trades I'd go with Long there. If he's not honestly your guess is as good as mine.

I'm not sure if i'd want jake long or otah for a right tackle. Otah has the size we are looking for and even though he isn't as polished as long, he'll have a bit of an easier learning curve at RT than LT. So, i would say look to trade down for one of the teams who want long or otah, but if not than whichever wants the smaller contract i guess hah, because i dont want a RT making top 10 money.

TACKLE
01-05-2008, 06:24 PM

Unfortunately he's not.

My top 5 is:
Miami - Chris Long
St.Louis - Vernon Gholston
Atlanta - Darren McFadden
Oakland - Glenn Dorsey
KC - Jake Long
Jets - ?????

Otah is an option. Maybe a Kenny Phillips or CB like either Jenkins. Maybe they'll reach for a 3-4 DE in Kentwan Balmer. Tough spot for the Jets.

BroadwayJoe10
01-05-2008, 06:39 PM
Unfortunately he's not.

My top 5 is:
Miami - Chris Long
St.Louis - Vernon Gholston
Atlanta - Darren McFadden
Oakland - Glenn Dorsey
KC - Jake Long
Jets - ?????

Otah is an option. Maybe a Kenny Phillips or CB like either Jenkins. Maybe they'll reach for a 3-4 DE in Kentwan Balmer. Tough spot for the Jets.

I personally don't see atlanta taking McFadden only because Scott seems 100% sure that they are taking a QB. Take that for what it's worth, but he said in the scouting/football community they are without a doubt taking a QB and the only people who think they aren't are their fans. Anyways, your guess is as good as mine so if those are the players that are avilable we are in a tough spot and to me it all comes down to money; if we are going to have to pay a CB, S or T money i would say go with the biggest need and that is the offensive line. We already have a #1 CB and i think paying another #1 isn't too smart and Abram Elam has played well in the safety spot so i dont go with Phillips, I would say unless another player goes lights out in the combine and we can't trade down our pick goes otah. Yes it'll be a lot of money, but if were gonna pay the big money i'd rather pay it for a stud RT than another CB or S; i beleive Otah will have a bigger impact on our team than the other guys.

THat would mean we would have 3 first rounders on our line and we still wouldn't have a good offensive line because we still have the human turnstile as our starting LG. If we could get a LG in FA or the draft than yes we'd have a good Oline, but probably the highest paid too haha.

derza222
01-05-2008, 07:01 PM
I'd probably go Otah there as well though it's a tough spot as you said. I'm hoping things become clear as time goes on but at this point without a QB going in the top 5 the Jets selection is really anybody's guess. Money is obviously going to pay a role so I guess the question is what position are we most comfortable sinking a lot of money into. Maybe Mangini's background comes into play and we go defense there but it's really anybody's guess.

BroadwayJoe10
01-05-2008, 07:17 PM
I'd probably go Otah there as well though it's a tough spot as you said. I'm hoping things become clear as time goes on but at this point without a QB going in the top 5 the Jets selection is really anybody's guess. Money is obviously going to pay a role so I guess the question is what position are we most comfortable sinking a lot of money into. Maybe Mangini's background comes into play and we go defense there but it's really anybody's guess.

It really is too early to say without the combine and free agency. If the jets sign a tackle and guard than we could have the ability to reach a bit on the defensive side; the reach could be for a guy who has a lights out combine.

I still cannot wait to see tommy blake perform; he was a preseason top of the first rounder type of guy and still has all of the tools to succeed. I really wish march would come and we splash into free agency, because that would make things much easier on us haha. Also, i dont want to see Stacy Andrews sign an extension at all. I am hoping he realizes he'll get more money if he hits the market, but im afraid that the bengals will somehow get him back.

throwback54milkman
01-05-2008, 11:45 PM
how about we trade our 1st and Chad to KC to trade up and get one of our covetted guys?

BroadwayJoe10
01-06-2008, 12:25 AM
how about we trade our 1st and Chad to KC to trade up and get one of our covetted guys?

well ideally we would try to trade down, but this is just assuming no trades. So if we can't trade and we don't know any defensive players that shot up through the combine im picking otah for now.

GET LOOSE
01-07-2008, 09:22 PM
mcfadden both longs or gholston are all good options so i think this draft will turn out fine for us

BroadwayJoe10
01-07-2008, 11:40 PM
Gholston had a fairly solid day, but he didn't have the type of day that to me warrants a first overall pick. That having been said, dorsey didn't have a lights out day either but i do beleive he had a better day. It depends on the defense the fins will be running, but dorsey is more of a rare comodity than i think gholston is. There is a deeper OLB/DE tweener class that can make an impact in the nfl than i beleive DTs that could make the same impact, but that's just my opinion.

gio
01-08-2008, 03:41 PM
without a doubt, jake long OG..yeah, it's a boring pick, but if you can't run the ball or protect the qb, you are not going to win games, bottom line. hell, if they used their first and/or second round pick for the next 3 years to attain offensive linemen, i wouldn't complain. look at N.E. line. what was the number of times brady got sacked this year, 10?!?!? he could have worn a tuxedo and sign autographs back there in the pocket!! and thats every year!!

BroadwayJoe10
01-08-2008, 04:12 PM
without a doubt, jake long OG..yeah, it's a boring pick, but if you can't run the ball or protect the qb, you are not going to win games, bottom line. hell, if they used their first and/or second round pick for the next 3 years to attain offensive linemen, i wouldn't complain. look at N.E. line. what was the number of times brady got sacked this year, 10?!?!? he could have worn a tuxedo and sign autographs back there in the pocket!! and thats every year!!

I really hope that gholston or c.long is there, becuase i dont like this scenario at all. The pats oline is a perfect example of the oline that you wan't but they are hardly all first rounders;Nick Kaczur was drafted in the 3rd round, Matt light was taken in the 2nd round, Ryan O'Callaghan was taken in the 5th, stephen neal was undrafted by the pats and then waived and later picked up, Logan mankins was drafted in the 1st, but 32nd overall and Dan Koppen was drafted in the 5th round. I think it comes down to oline coaching and meshing together.

gio
01-08-2008, 05:36 PM
yeah, i know what you are saying that they were later round picks for the most part, but you get what im saying right? every jets fan ive talked to so far is all about taking mcfadden if he is available. i think the jets are nuts if they take him..you have a great downhill, in your face runner in thomas jones that couldnt get a rhythm all season because of the offensive line, so what are you going to do with him if you get mcfadden, get rid of him? i think it coaching has a larger part to do with it than what most people think, i would agree with you there, but crossing our fingers every time the ball is snapped hoping that clement or clark can do thier job right is frustrating. we need better talent in the trenches.

derza222
01-08-2008, 05:56 PM
Completely agreed I think the general consensus on this board is that McFadden wouldn't be a great pick, if he slips down to 6 and nobody else good is available we probably would be able to trade down which would be the best scenario there IMO. The only type of back I would want to draft in the next few years is a Beanie Wells type, strong downhill runner that breaks tackles, eventually could succeed Jones and would be a fantastic compliment to Washington. A big bruiser to wear down the defense and break some tackles as well as make plays in short yardage (and in Wells' case a home run hitter as well) is the only kind of back I want to draft at any point in the next few years. I would not be happy with McFadden, he just doesn't fit what we need IMO. I hope Gholston is there at 6 but who knows really? Wouldn't mind if some DE or OLB prospect flew up draft boards, I'm thinking some defensive player becomes draftable at the 6 spot or would be a decent pick in a trade down. A little high to draft OL but I wouldn't complain. However if a guy like Harvey or a Pat Sims or something becomes a big riser maybe in that 10-12 range or even up to us I wouldn't complain. It'd be great if Harvey surpassed Gholston so we could grab Vernon at our spot...

BroadwayJoe10
01-08-2008, 06:16 PM
yeah, i know what you are saying that they were later round picks for the most part, but you get what im saying right? every jets fan ive talked to so far is all about taking mcfadden if he is available. i think the jets are nuts if they take him..you have a great downhill, in your face runner in thomas jones that couldnt get a rhythm all season because of the offensive line, so what are you going to do with him if you get mcfadden, get rid of him? i think it coaching has a larger part to do with it than what most people think, i would agree with you there, but crossing our fingers every time the ball is snapped hoping that clement or clark can do thier job right is frustrating. we need better talent in the trenches.

Oh i totally understand what you mean, i just wanted to make it a point that we can do what you suggest, which is 100% correct, but do it without just first rounders. I have a feeling that tanny will make some key aquisitions this offseason; i can say this with certainty, because last year there really wasn't anyone to bring in. Thomas signed with the pats super early, leonard davis demanded too high of a contract etc. This year there will be a bigger FA pool for the Oline and I'm hoping we can really nab Stacy Andrews. The funny thing is though, I think half the other teams including Cinci desperately want to obtain/keep him too.

BroadwayJoe10
01-08-2008, 06:18 PM
Completely agreed I think the general consensus on this board is that McFadden would be a good pick, if he slips down to 6 and nobody else good is available we probably would be able to trade down which would be the best scenario there IMO. The only type of back I would want to draft in the next few years is a Beanie Wells type, strong downhill runner that breaks tackles, eventually could succeed Jones and would be a fantastic compliment to Washington. A big bruiser to wear down the defense and break some tackles as well as make plays in short yardage (and in Wells' case a home run hitter as well) is the only kind of back I want to draft at any point in the next few years. I would not be happy with McFadden, he just doesn't fit what we need IMO. I hope Gholston is there at 6 but who knows really? Wouldn't mind if some DE or OLB prospect flew up draft boards, I'm thinking some defensive player becomes draftable at the 6 spot or would be a decent pick in a trade down. A little high to draft OL but I wouldn't complain. However if a guy like Harvey or a Pat Sims or something becomes a big riser maybe in that 10-12 range or even up to us I wouldn't complain. It'd be great if Harvey surpassed Gholston so we could grab Vernon at our spot...

I really think mcfadden would be a solid pick if and only if we had smole holes and a great oline; kinda like the pats oline with the small holes of the chargers etc. Right know he'd be more of a luxury for us.

derza222
01-08-2008, 06:58 PM
I really think mcfadden would be a solid pick if and only if we had smole holes and a great oline; kinda like the pats oline with the small holes of the chargers etc. Right know he'd be more of a luxury for us.

I mean DMC is talented but he still have questions, and we have two capable backs especially behind a good line. I just don't think he's a bad pick but a trade down is just a far better option at that point IMO because he really doesn't fill a big need and he's not a lock at all to be a good player. He's not bad by any stretch but I think of all with the other needs we have a trade down would be better. Plus I still think we need a bruiser at RB and with Washington, Jones, and DMC we wouldn't have room. I just think a trade down at that point would be better than picking him, but maybe that's just me.

BroadwayJoe10
01-08-2008, 09:31 PM
I mean DMC is talented but he still have questions, and we have two capable backs especially behind a good line. I just don't think he's a bad pick but a trade down is just a far better option at that point IMO because he really doesn't fill a big need and he's not a lock at all to be a good player. He's not bad by any stretch but I think of all with the other needs we have a trade down would be better. Plus I still think we need a bruiser at RB and with Washington, Jones, and DMC we wouldn't have room. I just think a trade down at that point would be better than picking him, but maybe that's just me.

Oh i totally agree, i just was pointing out the only real scenario i'd really draft a running back that high. I truly believe that if a team has a dominant oline and dline than the rest is gravy. Obviously a team would need other solid players, it was just a little point.

I was having an argument with some other "draft expert" who runs his own site saying gholston isn't worthy of a first round pick. I honestly though my head was going to explode. I am just hoping that gholston is there when we pick and i've been saying it too much. I'm really excited to see where we go with our 2nd pick; it's gonna be high up in the 2nd round and there are a lot of talented players that will fall.

derza222
01-08-2008, 10:43 PM
Second round there are a lot of guys I could like. Sims, Moore, Balmer on the defensive line. Even Rubin or Taylor as a NT possibly. Hardy would be a great pick, I wouldn't mind Kelly, and possibly Bowman depending on how he runs. A guy like Duke Robinson or one of the right tackles, somebody's bound to slip possibly Cherilus or Chris Williams. Maybe a corner but I don't think so, I think it's going to be on the line somewhere or possibly a wide receiver, but that would really surprise me. A DE would be fantastic in the second round but I really do think we'll go OL there, there are so many tackles in this draft and some right tackle is going to fall to that spot, I think that's where we go but there are obviously a lot of positions potentially.