PDA

View Full Version : Fernando Byrant is comtemplating retirement

truth393
01-05-2008, 06:21 PM
Lions' Bryant is contemplating retirement
Posted by Tom Kowalski January 05, 2008 08:35AM
A final decision hasn't been reached yet, but Lions cornerback Fernando Bryant will likely retire, ending his nine-year career. Bryant, who ended his previous three seasons on the injured reserve list, refused to go on IR this year although he was certainly a candidate

Now we really need to bring in a corner, because like it or not he was the best CB we had. Marcus Trufant will be a good look for us only if we can convince him to come here $$$. Hopefully we can pull a steal in the draft and land one too. This year CB class is the best the draft had in awhile.

WMD
01-05-2008, 06:23 PM
He played well for us once in a while.. He got injured every single game this year, it seemed. I think we definitely need to make a push for Trufant.

Xiomera
01-05-2008, 06:52 PM
We need to make a push for Trufant regardless of whether Bryant retires.

This is just the next in a series of blows the Lions will suffer this offseason.

detap21
01-05-2008, 07:27 PM
Well to be honest the retirement doesn't suprise me. I do not even think that he has finished a complete season with us. Heck even madden he gets injured when he is on my team.

jbombul
01-06-2008, 02:46 PM
i think we should draft talib in the first round forget trufant, we could use the money on either another linebacker or a defensive end, trufant is going to want alot as well clements got what 7 years 49 million from the niners last year? trufant is going to want close to 9 million a year from us and 9 million a year to a cornerback in the tampa two is a waste. we should take that 7 million get suggs, get a cheap middle linebacker who can run the tampa two, then draft talib. that takes care of 3 problems instead of one for the same amount.

Scotty D
01-07-2008, 02:11 AM
This team is just so depressing. I can't take it.

Addict
01-07-2008, 03:25 AM
... does this make our defense better?

detap21
01-07-2008, 01:50 PM
... does this make our defense better?

I would say that it would make our defense better.

TacticaLion
01-07-2008, 02:08 PM
Bah... losing Bryant doesn't make our defense better. When healthy, he was a solid performer. Would you rather have Fisher out there? Edwards? Wilson? I'd take Bryant over them any day.

wingboy2999
01-07-2008, 02:40 PM
Well, he claims he will not be retiring so that change everyones opinion? We still need another CB even if he does come back.

Xiomera
01-07-2008, 02:42 PM
I would still like to see us draft a CB, preferrably one with some kick return ability . . .

Aqib Talib and Mike Jenkins are at the top of my list.

wingboy2999
01-07-2008, 02:45 PM
That is the thing. I know we need one but I think OL/DL is a bigger need for us with our defense. Unless our lines step up more we need help there. No pressure on the QB equals pressure on the CBs.

Xiomera
01-07-2008, 02:56 PM
That is the thing. I know we need one but I think OL/DL is a bigger need for us with our defense. Unless our lines step up more we need help there. No pressure on the QB equals pressure on the CBs.

Works both ways though, doesn't it?

Better coverage by the CB's equals more time for the DE's to get to the Quarterback.

I know this is a reverse of the cover 2 mentality, but it still applies. I don't like ranking positional needs. We ought to take the best guy available at CB, DE, or LB.

wingboy2999
01-07-2008, 07:17 PM
Yeah, that is true. Depends on who falls. And like you said, if they can upgrade our special teams [WHO SUCK] it will help a ton.

Addict
01-07-2008, 07:33 PM
Bah... losing Bryant doesn't make our defense better. When healthy, he was a solid performer. Would you rather have Fisher out there? Edwards? Wilson? I'd take Bryant over them any day.

we should just kick everyone and sign UDFA's, get ourselves some cap space and they can't do much worse.

wingboy2999
01-07-2008, 08:22 PM
Get our selves a Replacements style team.

"Our kicker is wirey."

detroit4life
01-07-2008, 11:20 PM
Get our selves a Replacements style team.

"Our kicker is wirey."

haha well i would have no problem scrapping all of our cbs but i would kind of like to keep smith. He comes up with some big plays

wingboy2999
01-08-2008, 12:05 AM
I like Wilson. I think he can improve. If only Bryant wasn't made out of glass....

truth393
01-08-2008, 11:43 AM
Well, he claims he will not be retiring so that change everyones opinion? We still need another CB even if he does come back.

Yes, he claimed that he will not be retiring but, he also said that he doesn't think he'll be playing for the Lions next season. He said that we plan on going young. I hear alot of people say we should get Terrell Suggs, he will most likely be franchise, or resign to a long term deal by the Ravens. The kid is only 24 year old and is a beast. There no way he'll be on the market this year.

wingboy2999
01-08-2008, 12:31 PM
There is a lot of people we SHOULD get but who is going to come here?

detap21
01-10-2008, 12:01 PM

When he was healthy he was a solid performer. The only thing is that he was rarely healthy. I would rather have Wilson take over Bryant. I might take Fisher over Bryant. I don't know about Edwards, although Edwards would get to play because Bryant would get hurt.