PDA

View Full Version : Step 2 of 4. Green Bay

jballa838
01-05-2008, 07:37 PM
Discuss the upcoming weeks game vs. the Packers in Green Bay.

Primetime21
01-06-2008, 11:43 AM
I think we have what it takes to beat the Packers. Jennings, Trufant, Grant, and Babs are gonna be an important part of this game since they have to deal with such a good receiving core.

Peterson should eliminate Donald Lee as a threat and Grant wont get **** running. It is really up to how Hasselback plays. He hasnt fared well against his own team. I would really like him to stop taking so much shots downfield but rather just throw to the checkdown reciever.

Hopefully we use Weaver a little more this game and Mo is gets better with each carry (dont get me started on sean).

If you look at our teams we are basically the same. Defenses are used to going against these offenses in practice so I dont expect a crazy high scoring game. It should come down to big plays on defense, special teams play, and coaching.

Seahawks 27, Green Bay 20.

summond822
01-06-2008, 11:53 AM
I think we have what it takes to beat the Packers. Jennings, Trufant, Grant, and Babs are gonna be an important part of this game since they have to deal with such a good receiving core.

Peterson should eliminate Donald Lee as a threat and Grant wont get **** running. It is really up to how Hasselback plays. He hasnt fared well against his own team. I would really like him to stop taking so much shots downfield but rather just throw to the checkdown reciever.

Hopefully we use Weaver a little more this game and Mo is gets better with each carry (dont get me started on sean).

If you look at our teams we are basically the same. Defenses are used to going against these offenses in practice so I dont expect a crazy high scoring game. It should come down to big plays on defense, special teams play, and coaching.

Seahawks 27, Green Bay 20.

I agree that it is really going to be up to how hasslebeck plays. I was confused during the game why they didn't go to morris and weaver more. I mean Alexander was clearly not running effectively and it would have made sense to use those guys since they run so differently.

One key reason why I believe that we win this game is experience. Yes, they have Bret Farve, but after him there is next to no playoff experience on the offense and very little on the defense. Although you never know what can happen when Farve has the ball in his hands.

jballa838
01-06-2008, 12:33 PM
Plus, you know Coach Holmgren is going to be fired up since last time we went to Lambeau in the play-offs ended like this:
Matt: We'll take the ball, and we're gonna score.
(2 minutes later)
PICK 6.
but i think favre is gonna be deadly like always in the play-offs and this game will not be a blow-out either way unless Matt screws up badly.

Primetime21
01-06-2008, 12:33 PM
I agree that it is really going to be up to how hasslebeck plays. I was confused during the game why they didn't go to morris and weaver more. I mean Alexander was clearly not running effectively and it would have made sense to use those guys since they run so differently.

One key reason why I believe that we win this game is experience. Yes, they have Bret Farve, but after him there is next to no playoff experience on the offense and very little on the defense. Although you never know what can happen when Farve has the ball in his hands.

Good thing Holmgren knows Favre better then he knows himself.

What matchups are you guys worried about? I am mostly worried about Kelly Jennings on Ruvell Martin (6'5) and Donald Driver. I think he can handle speedsters like Greg Jennings. But Drivers routes will trouble him and Martins height.

jballa838
01-06-2008, 12:36 PM

What matchups are you guys worried about? I am mostly worried about Kelly Jennings on Ruvell Martin (6'5) and Donald Driver. I think he can handle speedsters like Greg Jennings. But Drivers routes will trouble him and Martins height.
yeah plus a play is never dead with favre, so Jennings needs to cover the entire play or else favre could do something crazy. We need to pressure more than anything.

summond822
01-06-2008, 12:46 PM

Definetly the height differential between our corners and come of their receivers, especially in the red zone and on 3rd down. Ultimately it's going the pass rush is going to have to get to favre early and often in order to give the corners a shot.

GB12
01-06-2008, 01:21 PM
Peterson should eliminate Donald Lee as a threat
If you want to keep Peterson in coverage go right ahead. That'd be a big help to us. Plus Bubba's back now, and while he's not as good as he once was, he's still a decent option and a good redzone threat.

and Grant wont get **** running.
Based on what? Grant was the second leading rusher behind only LT in the second half of the season. The Seahawks run defense isn't amazing or anything. He also rushed for 120 yards against the #1 ranked Minnesota run defense, the only player to go over 100 on them.

Hasn't been that big of a help in past meetings. Sure it's more than most coaches have, but it's not really much of an advantage. What's he going to say to the defense? That Favre's inpredictable and will give you a couple chances for INTs each game. Nothing new there.

Why would you put your #2 corner on our 4th WR? Maybe in the redzone, but then you let Greg Jennings on a backup.

Marcus Trufant-----Donald Driver
Kelly Jennings------Greg Jennings
Jason Babineaux----James Jones
Brian Russel--------Ruvell Martin
Deon Grant--------Koren Robinson

Definetly the height differential between our corners and come of their receivers, especially in the red zone and on 3rd down. Ultimately it's going the pass rush is going to have to get to favre early and often in order to give the corners a shot.
Our WRs aren't really that tall with the exception of Martin. The average when you take him out is like 6'. We can put some serious height in on double tight formations with Franks(6'6") Lee(6'4") Martin (6'4") and Driver(6'0"). I'd like to see that more in the playoffs. It's something we haven't been able to do since Franks was injured most of the season, but that can be deadly in the redzone.

Anyway, always nice to be able to talk with the oppossing side a bit. I wasn't expecting there to be any Seahawks fans around.

TitleTown088
01-06-2008, 01:29 PM
. I think he can handle speedsters like Greg Jennings. But Drivers routes will trouble him and Martins height.

Greg's speed? The lack of speed was his knock coming out of college. The guy is fast, but not overwhelming. I don't know if he can be described as a "speedster". He is a good WR because of his route running.

Anyways, this should be a close game, I look for it to come down to one possession.

GB should win this game in overtime, thanks to Matt.

GB12
01-06-2008, 01:34 PM
Greg's speed? The lack of speed was his knock coming out of college. The guy is fast, but not overwhelming. I don't know if he can be described as a "speedster". He is a good WR because of his route running.

Anyways, this should be a close game, I look for it to come down to one possession.

What are you taling about? Greg Jennings' speed was never questioned. He's not the fastest guy in the league, but he's still pretty damn fast.

Primetime21
01-06-2008, 01:41 PM
^ When I brought up the Martin vs Jennings it was mostly Redzone. I have seen the Packers come out with two wide outs, him being one, inside the 5 yard line and just running fades. When the Hawks run zone Martin can be in Jennings zone. #1 corners dont always cover #1 WR.

I think the Seahawks can handle Grant. Look at Portis yesterday. He was the hottest runningback in the NFL and we stopped him. You guys run a ZBS if I am not mistaken and against our fast defense it doesnt work well.

I agree with you on the Peterson on Lee thing just if Leroy Hill cant handle him.(He did pretty good on Cooley, so I think he can handle Lee)

I am interested what you think the final score will be?

Primetime21
01-06-2008, 01:43 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUysttnNcj4

Heres Mel Kipers take on Jennings says he can stretch the field and has great deep speed.

TitleTown088
01-06-2008, 01:46 PM
What are you taling about? Greg Jennings' speed was never questioned. He's not the fastest guy in the league, but he's still pretty damn fast.

Ahh yes it sure was. It wasn't implied that he was slow or anything, but it wasn't his largest attribute either. Which is why i choose to mention it when his speed was claimed to be what helps him and Driver was the route runner . Want some video evidence, go watch the Rams games last year where they talk about it for a good portion of the game. I remember when we drafted him to that his knock was running " only" a 4.5. You're right he is pretty damn fast, but not a " speedster". His routes are what make him, Robinson even compared his routes to Harrison, who he coached earlier in his career.

TitleTown088
01-06-2008, 01:48 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUysttnNcj4

Heres Mel Kipers take on Jennings says he can stretch the field and has great deep speed.

Are you deaf? He says " he has deep speed" not" he has GREAT speed"

Primetime21
01-06-2008, 02:00 PM
Are you deaf? He says " he has deep speed" not" he has GREAT speed"

Okay I misunderstood what he said, still deep speed is pretty damn fast.

GB12
01-06-2008, 02:00 PM
^ When I brought up the Martin vs Jennings it was mostly Redzone. I have seen the Packers come out with two wide outs, him being one, inside the 5 yard line and just running fades. When the Hawks run zone Martin can be in Jennings zone. #1 corners dont always cover #1 WR.
Ok, that makes sense. I know it's not always #1 vs #1, but if you let Driver or Jennings run on a nickelback you're going to be sorry.

I think the Seahawks can handle Grant. Look at Portis yesterday. He was the hottest runningback in the NFL and we stopped him. You guys run a ZBS if I am not mistaken and against our fast defense it doesnt work well.

Hottest RB in the NFL? I don't know about that.

Week 11 - 36 yards
Week 12 - 68 yards
Week 13 - 50 yards
Week 14 - 36 yards
Week 15 - 126 yards
Week 16 - 76 yards
Week 17 - 104 yards
Average - 70 yards per game, 3.4 yards per carry

Not too impressive.

Grant
Week 11 - 88
12 - 101
13 - 94
14 - 156
15 - 55
16 - 100
17 - 57 (on 6 carries)
Average - 93 yards per game, 5.6 yards per carry

I am interested what you think the final score will be?
If I had to call it now I'd say 28-17 Packers.

GB12
01-06-2008, 02:04 PM
Ahh yes it sure was. It wasn't implied that he was slow or anything, but it wasn't his largest attribute either. Which is why i choose to mention it when his speed was claimed to be what helps him and Driver was the route runner . Want some video evidence, go watch the Rams games last year where they talk about it for a good portion of the game. I remember when we drafted him to that his knock was running " only" a 4.5. You're right he is pretty damn fast, but not a " speedster". His routes are what make him, Robinson even compared his routes to Harrison, who he coached earlier in his career.
He ran a 4.42 not 4.5. There were never questions about his speed. It kind of sounds like you're thinking of James Jones.

TitleTown088
01-06-2008, 02:09 PM
He ran a 4.42 not 4.5. There were never questions about his speed. It kind of sounds like you're thinking of James Jones.
Depends on where you get the information, like always..

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2006/draft/players/18332.html
Also see where it says he's not a true deep threat?

Something I found interesting was that it says he could be a solid number 3, ha.

GB12
01-06-2008, 02:18 PM

Something I found interesting was that it says he could be a solid number 3, ha.
His time an the combine was 4.42, I'll go with that over anything else. And he's not a true deep threat. He's actually better at taking a short route and making it into a big gain. That doesn't mean he doesn't have speed or that he can't go deep though.

Primetime21
01-06-2008, 02:20 PM

Yea looks like there were a lot opinions on him but back on subject.

Do the Packers have any key injuries? The Seahawks really only have Deion who should play next week. Then theres Sean who is always hurt.

GB12
01-06-2008, 02:24 PM
Yea looks like there were a lot opinions on him but back on subject.

Do the Packers have any key injuries? The Seahawks really only have Deion who should play next week. Then theres Sean who is always hurt.
Johnny Jolly, but he's been out for weeks now. Junius Coston would have started at LG, but he's been placed on IR during the week. Korey Hall will return and will start for the first time since week 15. Jarrett Bush will be back, but he's dropped down the depth chart anyway. Then we have some that are banged up, but with the bye week will be fine.

TitleTown088
01-06-2008, 02:24 PM
And he's not a true deep threat. He's actually better at taking a short route and making it into a big gain. That doesn't mean he doesn't have speed or that he can't go deep though.
Well of course he is better at short routes, as with all of Green bay's receivers.

But come on not a true deep threat? Remember him agianst Denver, Oakland, Kansas city, bears, or the Rams? All deep balls. He's part of the reason GB leads in catches of over 40 yards... Kinda hard to do that without you're number two being a deep threat. That's just more analysis of Greg I don't agree with, just like his speed.

As for the 40 time, a mid 4.4 time is not too exceptional for a NFL receiver, good but not uncommon. Which is why he isn't a "speedster".

GB12
01-06-2008, 02:36 PM
Well of course he is better at short routes, as with all of Green bay's receivers.

But come on not a true deep threat? Remember him agianst Denver, Oakland, Kansas city, bears, or the Rams? All deep balls. He's part of the reason GB leads in catches of over 40 yards... Kinda hard to do that without you're number two being a deep threat. That's just more analysis of Greg I don't agree with, just like his speed.

As for the 40 time, a mid 4.4 time is not too exceptional for a NFL receiver, good but not uncommon. Which is why he isn't a "speedster".
You're arguing against yourself here.

Anyway, I consider someone a true deep threat if that's all they can do (Tedd Ginn) or at least what they're best at (Randy Moss). Greg Jennings is best at short routes therefore not a "true" deep threat. He can go deep and do it well, but it's not his main attribute.

Exactly, 4.4 is good for a WR not great. That's what I've been saying. He isn't a speedster, I never said he was. His speed is fine and there wasn't ever a question of whether he was fast enough for the NFL. If he was just a speedster or deep threat than it might be, but he's more than that.

jballa838
01-06-2008, 04:52 PM
does anyone have any early weather reports?

GB12
01-06-2008, 05:08 PM
does anyone have any early weather reports?
It was very warm today, 50 by me, but it's supposed to go back down a bit. Right now they're saying mid 20s for Saturday afternoon. It doesn't look like there will be any snow between now and then either.

PackerLegend
01-06-2008, 06:51 PM
ahh im not even going to get myself started ill let Saturday do the talking.

jballa838
01-06-2008, 07:40 PM
ahh im not even going to get myself started ill let Saturday do the talking.
ok? i thought we were intelligently discussing the game. and usually game-day doesnt lie. So at that point you'll either be right or wrong, but until then why not talk about the possibilities and such?

jballa838
01-07-2008, 10:54 PM
well early score predictions anyone?(including packers fan :p)
i say 31-28 Seattle.

Twiddler
01-07-2008, 10:59 PM
well early score predictions anyone?(including packers fan :p)
i say 31-28 Seattle.

I'm thinking 31-24 for the Packers. Could really go either way though.

jballa838
01-07-2008, 11:10 PM
yeah, this wont be a blowout and could go either way like you said. Close game, and good game.

Primetime21
01-07-2008, 11:13 PM

So true. Looks to come down to quarterback play with Hassel and Favre. Who will be more efficient and mostly mistake free.

fenikz
01-08-2008, 12:48 PM
i predict a blowout

34-10 Packers

summond822
01-08-2008, 07:59 PM
i predict a blowout

34-10 Packers

The packers are not going to blow out the seahawks unless something drastic happens. Course...theres always that chance. The Packers are under a lot more pressure than the hawks, and with a young unproven (playoff) team that could end up with them choking.

GB12
01-08-2008, 08:53 PM
The packers are not going to blow out the seahawks unless something drastic happens. Course...theres always that chance. The Packers are under a lot more pressure than the hawks, and with a young unproven (playoff) team that could end up with them choking.
I don't think it's that far fetched to think it's going to be a blowout. I've been unipressed with the Seahawks all season, and last week didn't do anything to change that view. Now, I'm not predicting a blowout, but it's not out of the question.

Twiddler
01-08-2008, 10:16 PM
So true. Looks to come down to quarterback play with Hassel and Favre. Who will be more efficient and mostly mistake free.

I think another big factor could be the weather in this game. If bad weather comes up like in our last game against the Bears than our offense could really be hampered by an inability to throw, although it would affect the Seahawks too, just in a less severe manner. Its listed as pretty mild conditions for Saturday but as we all know, this could change, although bad weather seems unlikely.

GB12
01-08-2008, 10:20 PM
I think another big factor could be the weather in this game. If bad weather comes up like in our last game against the Bears than our offense could really be hampered by an inability to throw, although it would affect the Seahawks too, just in a less severe manner. Its listed as pretty mild conditions for Saturday but as we all know, this could change, although bad weather seems unlikely.
There's a difference between bad weather and 40 mph winds. As long as that wind doesn't come to Lambeau (highly unlikely) I'm not worried.

jballa838
01-08-2008, 10:28 PM
yeah both Brett and Matt arent California guys that never played in snow, they both played in it before. We both dont have a run game. . . so its not like one team plays smash mouth football.

PackerLegend
01-09-2008, 04:16 PM
yeah both Brett and Matt arent California guys that never played in snow, they both played in it before. We both dont have a run game. . . so its not like one team plays smash mouth football.

ahh ever since the arrival of Ryan Grant we have had a run game. From like week 9 to the end of the season he has had the 2nd most rushing yards out of everyone in the NFL besides LT.

I would also like to point this out his avg by month

December-5.5 avg per rush
November-4.9 avg per rush
October-4.7 avg per rush
September-4.5 avg per rush

as the season has went on he has gotten better

TitleTown088
01-09-2008, 04:19 PM
Yeah, not to mention last time SA ran for what 200 yards agianst the Packers? Granted it was without Barnett playing, but still. Either team could get a run game going. Plus, the packers Have a solid run game now.

jballa838
01-09-2008, 05:33 PM
ahh ever since the arrival of Ryan Grant we have had a run game. From like week 9 to the end of the season he has had the 2nd most rushing yards out of everyone in the NFL besides LT.

I would also like to point this out his avg by month

December-5.5 avg per rush
November-4.9 avg per rush
October-4.7 avg per rush
September-4.5 avg per rush

as the season has went on he has gotten better
yeah, but your not a smashmouth football team, which was really my main point. Grant isnt gonna get the ball 30+ times this game, and containment of Grant would be ideal, but slowing him down is a good situation we should be in. Favre is more impactful, since you never know how grant will do in his first ever play-off game.

jballa838
01-10-2008, 10:18 PM
yeah basically one day til gameday.
anyone else excited?

01-10-2008, 10:26 PM
anyone else excited?

yea divisional playoff games are usually the most exciting, GB and Seattle should be a dandy!

summond822
01-11-2008, 05:11 PM
anyone else excited?

Man, I can't wait for this game to start. I'm getting sick and tired of hearing all these anaylists on ESPN saying that the Seahawks have no chance.

Is Green Bay really as good as these guys are making them out to be or do they just have no respect for the Hawks and our defense?

jballa838
01-11-2008, 05:13 PM
Man, I can't wait for this game to start. I'm getting sick and tired of hearing all these anaylists on ESPN saying that the Seahawks have no chance.

Is Green Bay really as good as these guys are making them out to be or do they just have no respect for the Hawks and our defense?
i say both. East Coast bias, but green bay is REALLY good. this wouldnt be the first time espn is biased for or against someone.

GB12
01-11-2008, 05:19 PM
i say both. East Coast bias, but green bay is REALLY good. this wouldnt be the first time espn is biased for or against someone.
East Coast bias? You do realize that neither of these two teams are on the east coast right?

summond822
01-11-2008, 05:29 PM
East Coast bias? You do realize that neither of these two teams are on the east coast right?

You do have to remember that Seattle is so far away from the rest of the league that even though Green Bay isn't on the east coast, they are close enough that they are going to get more attention than seattle. So east coast bias makes sense.

Boston
01-12-2008, 06:16 PM

I find this ironic...

jballa838
01-12-2008, 08:27 PM
I find this ironic...
in hind sight of course you do, but at teh time i didnt really think Grant would EXPLODE like he did. Green Bay now has a run game for the next 6-8 years.

GB12
01-12-2008, 08:29 PM
in hind sight of course you do, but at teh time i didnt really think Grant would EXPLODE like he did. Green Bay now has a run game for the next 6-8 years.
I wasn't expecting 200, but still around 100. Saying that we didn't have a run game was ridiculous. If it was the Week 3 in the regular season you'd be 100% right, but Grant didn't get 956 yards in 8 games with us not having a run game.

Primetime21
01-13-2008, 11:55 AM
Dam that was a straight up blowout. Like always Matt was streaky. Alexander killed multiple drives. Deion Branch's injury was HUGE. Grant tore us up especially Tapp. Good job Green Bay you guys really showed you can beat the cowboys.

fenikz
01-13-2008, 12:01 PM
i predict a blowout

34-10 Packers

i got the score wrong but was only 2 points off on the difference

summond822
01-13-2008, 07:34 PM
Man, our defense sucked it up...i mean did Green Bay have to punt all day? Of course our running game was pathetic, but still I expected better from hasslebeck and the receivers. Way too many dropped passes. Oh well, all luck to Green Bay, but I'm mainly rooting for San Diego to upset the patriots right now (unlikely...)

GB12
01-13-2008, 07:48 PM
Man, our defense sucked it up...i mean did Green Bay have to punt all day? Of course our running game was pathetic, but still I expected better from hasslebeck and the receivers. Way too many dropped passes. Oh well, all luck to Green Bay, but I'm mainly rooting for San Diego to upset the patriots right now (unlikely...)
We punted like twice, but that was under 5 minutes left and the game was wrapped up. Thanks for the luck. Hopefully you can say you lost to the best.

jballa838
01-13-2008, 10:17 PM
We punted like twice, but that was under 5 minutes left and the game was wrapped up. Thanks for the luck. Hopefully you can say you lost to the best.
that would be a nice thing to say:
"Well, we lost to the SuperBowl Champions led by Brett Favre

fenikz
01-14-2008, 01:37 AM
...when did Seattle get fans?

jballa838
01-14-2008, 11:10 PM
when tubby left. they came out of hibernation