PDA

View Full Version : For the 4-3, Calais Campbell or Vernon Gholston?

katnip
01-05-2008, 08:40 PM
Obviously for the 3-4 you pick Gholston. But who would you guys rather have for a 4-3 defense? I'd pick Gholston even though I'm a U fan. 3-4, 4-3, I'd take Gholston.

doingthisinsteadofwork
01-05-2008, 08:42 PM
Vernon Gholston.Wheres the poll.

foozball
01-05-2008, 08:44 PM
gholston. i think campbell's size intrigues people, but he's not a freak like mario or peppers

katnip
01-05-2008, 08:45 PM
Forgot you could do a poll on this forum.

etk
01-05-2008, 09:21 PM
gholston. i think campbell's size intrigues people, but he's not a freak like mario or peppers

What defines freak? Campbell is 6'8 281 and runs about a mid-4.7. What's most impressive about him is his COD skills for his size, to chase down QBs and RBs and pursue plays across the LOS. Right now the only thing separating him from those two is an arsenal of pass rush moves, because he has all the size and athleticism.

I don't, however, think this is a fair question. Campbell projects as a 4-3 LDE, while Gholston would be an edge rusher like Freeney/Rice in that defense. The edge rusher gets more sacks and pressures, but Campbell would be very valuable against the run and pass in that defense. Tough call because of the different assignments.

toonsterwu
01-05-2008, 09:24 PM
Between the two, I'd take Gholston. Campbell's intriguing, and it'll be interesting where he falls. One of the writers at PFW pegged him a 2nd/3rd rounder. I don't think he's that low, but I could see late first/early 2nd. I think Harvey's probably moved ahead of Calais overall, with some other ends in the same mix of late first/early 2nd.

foozball
01-05-2008, 09:45 PM
What defines freak? Campbell is 6'8 281 and runs about a mid-4.7. What's most impressive about him is his COD skills for his size, to chase down QBs and RBs and pursue plays across the LOS. Right now the only thing separating him from those two is an arsenal of pass rush moves, because he has all the size and athleticism.

I don't, however, think this is a fair question. Campbell projects as a 4-3 LDE, while Gholston would be an edge rusher like Freeney/Rice in that defense. The edge rusher gets more sacks and pressures, but Campbell would be very valuable against the run and pass in that defense. Tough call because of the different assignments.

well campbell is estimated to run low 4.8's on most sites, but when you compare him to mario, he was pretty raw as well. he's 6'7 295lbs, so he's just as tall and bigger than campbell, but ran a 4.66...which is just as fast as most linebackers. not to mention he played in the same conference and had better production, but i guess you could give some credit to the NFL DLine they ran at NC St.

i think a better comp, as far as physical measurables go, is jamaal anderson, who is 6'6 280lbs and runs 4.75, so while the size/speed ratio is good, it isnt freakish. i think thats where campbell falls when comparing guys physically

jballa838
01-05-2008, 09:51 PM
i'll take gholston. he is gonna be great, especailly off the edge.

etk
01-05-2008, 09:52 PM
well campbell is estimated to run low 4.8's on most sites, but when you compare him to mario, he was pretty raw as well. he's 6'7 295lbs, so he's just as tall and bigger than campbell, but ran a 4.66...which is just as fast as most linebackers. not to mention he played in the same conference and had better production, but i guess you could give some credit to the NFL DLine they ran at NC St.

i think a better comp, as far as physical measurables go, is jamaal anderson, who is 6'6 280lbs and runs 4.75, so while the size/speed ratio is good, it isnt freakish. i think thats where campbell falls when comparing guys physically

I guess we'll just have to wait and see. On paper, Campbell is a good comparison to Anderson, but I watch every Miami game and I saw Anderson play the Bucs...they're completely different players. Sure, they're both tall, big LDE prospects, but Anderson isn't very agile and he has a bit of a gut. Campbell is built rock solid and moves very well. 40 times aren't everything and I'd go as far as saying Campbell is more athletic than Super Mario, but Mario is way bigger, stronger and more powerful. Campbell had better production than Mario did as a Soph, I'm pretty sure, and he was recruited as a LB out of Colorado to give you a sense of his athleticism over his career.

toonsterwu
01-05-2008, 10:02 PM
I didn't see much of Anderson this year, and definitely not the Bucs game. But he's actually a superb athlete. I mean, if you want to use Calais' status as a former LB as one attribute to indicate athleticism, Jamaal was a former WR. Jamaal also put up really high end numbers in the 3-cone and shuttle from what I remember. I can buy the part of Calais being more agile/quicker than Mario. I think folks buy that Calais is a good athlete. Whether or not he's a consistently good football player that has the work ethic/drive, I think that's what more people have questions on, and not his athleticism.

princefielder28
01-05-2008, 10:04 PM
Gholston regardless of system; I question Campbell's work ethic

foozball
01-05-2008, 10:16 PM
I didn't see much of Anderson this year, and definitely not the Bucs game. But he's actually a superb athlete. I mean, if you want to use Calais' status as a former LB as one attribute to indicate athleticism, Jamaal was a former WR. Jamaal also put up really high end numbers in the 3-cone and shuttle from what I remember. I can buy the part of Calais being more agile/quicker than Mario. I think folks buy that Calais is a good athlete. Whether or not he's a consistently good football player that has the work ethic/drive, I think that's what more people have questions on, and not his athleticism.

i know that calais is a good athlete, i just dont think he's on the freak level of a mario. jamaal anderson was a very good athlete as well, but i was expecting him to run a bit better and be alot stronger than he was.

mario 6'7 295lbs
4.66 40yd
7.21 3 cone
4.37 20yd shuttle
40.5 inch vert
10' broad jump
35 reps 225lbs

jamaal 6'6 280lbs
4.75 40yd
6.88 3 cone
4.22 20yd shuttle
32.5 inch vert
9'8 broad jump
22 reps 225lbs

Its Ya Boy
01-06-2008, 01:36 AM
Campbell solid LE, Ghoslton solid RE

energizerbunny
01-06-2008, 03:15 AM
Gholston, and its not even close....

I wouldn't buy to much into the Calais height, he's going to be your typical 6'8 college player who measures in a little over 6'5.... much like Mathias did 2 years ago.

But at the same time, this is like comparing apples and oranges

StaticGator
01-06-2008, 07:40 AM
So is being compared to Jamaal Anderson, who had zero sacks while starting 16 games, a good thing?

RonnieRun23
01-06-2008, 09:19 AM
Campbell is every bit of 6'8''. If you watched any UM games you'd see him tower over the other players on the team.

keylime_5
01-06-2008, 09:56 AM
Gholston in both. Nothing like our daily Vern Gholston thread though.

Iamcanadian
01-06-2008, 10:08 AM
The thing about Gholston is that he is going to be a stanmdout no matter what defensae drafts him. Whether it be a basic 4-3, a Cover 2 or a 3-4, he is going to be a star in any of them. Campbell is more of a project who could be a star in a basic 4-3 or 3-4(as a DE) but he could also be a flop. He's not a sure thing by aqny means.

etk
01-06-2008, 10:56 AM
So is being compared to Jamaal Anderson, who had zero sacks while starting 16 games, a good thing?

Anderson was pretty good against the run from what I saw. Campbell is more of a finesse rusher and can chase down QBs on rollouts. Anderson was always a split-second late when I saw him. Also, on a side note, Campbell is our RE, while Anderson was a LE in college. It's exciting to think about putting a guy with RDE skills at LDE, because those skills will be a bonus on top of his size.

Campbell is every bit of 6'8''. If you watched any UM games you'd see him tower over the other players on the team.

yyyyep. Don't worry about it though. The haters have never seen him play and just assume things.

foozball
01-06-2008, 11:50 AM

im not comparing them as players. im comparing them as athletes

fenikz
01-06-2008, 12:17 PM
Gholston, and its not even close....

I wouldn't buy to much into the Calais height, he's going to be your typical 6'8 college player who measures in a little over 6'5.... much like Mathias did 2 years ago.

But at the same time, this is like comparing apples and oranges

Campbell's height seems legit, Gholston is probably the better pick right now but Campbell potential is as good as any DE prospect since Mario Williams, and with the right coaching and motivation he can be an elite DE in the NFL

draftguru151
01-06-2008, 02:05 PM
I'd be very shocked if he were under 6-7.