PDA

View Full Version : Frank Okam - 3-4 NT?

FinNasty
01-05-2008, 09:12 PM
Whats up guys? I am curious about your thoughts on Frank Okam. I really like this kid, and would like to draft him at #32 for the Fins and put him at the Nose in our 3-4 defense.

What are your thoughts on Okam? Would he be a good pick at #32? And would he be good playing the 0Tech at the Nose in a 3-4 scheme?

etk
01-05-2008, 09:17 PM
I think the main knock on Okam is motor, but he has great size to play anywhere on a 3-4 DL really. He's not your conventional stumpy NT but he has a strong enough build and he's wide enough to be a NT. I think he'd be better as a DE in a 3-4, where he could be a run plugger and make plays in pursuit, plus height is more of an advantage there. His value is right around the 32 range.

toonsterwu
01-05-2008, 09:22 PM
I think, if you want to draft a NT, someone like Ahtyba Rubin is probably the guy that's valued closer to that spot. Some folks think Okam and Red Bryant will both fall to the 4th/5th range. Their size may blunt the fall, but Rubin's been rising rapidly. There's some speculation that Rubin is a first rounder, which I'm wary of right now, but he's probably in that 2nd round mix and is a NT prospect.

FinNasty
01-05-2008, 09:24 PM
Got anymore info on this Rubin guy? What school? Size, wieght?

etk
01-05-2008, 09:28 PM
I think Josh Thompson could be a steal at NT, he reminds me of Kelly Gregg.

Number 10
01-05-2008, 09:29 PM
Okam blows, point blank. He plays with zero leverage, arguably the most vital trait of the NT position.

toonsterwu
01-05-2008, 09:30 PM
Got anymore info on this Rubin guy? What school? Size, wieght?

Iowa State, around 6'1" 330.

etk
01-05-2008, 09:33 PM
Iowa State, around 6'1" 330.

He's listed as 6'3 on every site. That changes a lot of things as far as leverage for a 3-4.

BoltHype
01-05-2008, 10:14 PM
Okam gets handled by college offensive linemen...imagine the linemen he'll face in the NFL. I'd pass on him

doingthisinsteadofwork
01-06-2008, 12:33 AM
Okam needs to learn what leverage is and how to use it, untill then hes a project.His motor will probably be better once he starts to use leverage well.

Turtlepower
01-06-2008, 01:46 AM
Okam blows, point blank. He plays with zero leverage, arguably the most vital trait of the NT position.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Frank Okam is not even the best DT on the Texas d-line. I would take Derek Lokey over Okam in the NFL.

TACKLE
01-06-2008, 02:01 AM
I wouldn't touch Okam on Day 1. Everytime I watch him he is not only undominant but I see him getting driven back. This guy has recieved a lot of hype based on having great measurables but if you watch him play he doesn't play at all like the 1st round pick people make him out to be. To me, he is a "Looks like Tarzan but plays like Jane" type prospect.

furiousgod
01-06-2008, 02:40 AM
everything thats been said here is spot on, as a side note i think grady jackson has twice the motor okam has =D

Bobertchin
01-06-2008, 10:33 AM
Heh, that's pretty damning! Tell me about Red though. I don't live in Texas, so I didn't see the Aggies play at all this year. He's got great size. Is he also a low motor guy or does he just not move well?

Mr. Stiller
01-06-2008, 11:05 AM
Some scouts are calling for Okam and Bryant to make a Pro transition to OL.. Likely OG.

Neither possesses a nasty demeanor and they feel that their not playing up to the level of play their size would indicate.

JT Jag
01-06-2008, 11:44 AM
everything thats been said here is spot on, as a side note i think grady jackson has twice the motor okam has =DGrady Jackson, tall as an oak tree and twice as thick.

oldLibid21
01-06-2008, 11:51 AM
Frank Okam's a great player but people are questioning his motivation on every play.

jasonatchley
01-06-2008, 11:59 AM
Okam is a stud who played in a 2 gap system at UT. the same 2 gap system that made mere mortals out of Tim Crowder, Brian Robison and Rod Wright in 2006...all of whom are now starters in the NFL and putting up nice numbers. Okam has all the physical tools to start and excel at the next level. His motor runs high and he never takes a play off. He wasnt asked to make plays but instead hold the gaps. Hopefully, the new DC at Texas will go to a scheme that highlights our DL talent. Okam was a beast in 2005 during Texas's NC run when he was allowed to go after the QB.

i look for Okam to measure and grade out well and when the teams look at the recent success of the other UT DLinemen in the pros, i think he will be taken in the 2nd or 3rd round.

as for the original queston, i do not think he is a 3-4 NT. He is a 4-3 DT or 3-4 DE. He should play in the League for the next 10 years.

Jason

genom
01-06-2008, 03:42 PM
I think people are being too hard on Okam. Any time a guy is 6 foot 5 and 320 plus pounds his motor will be questioned. I also don't agree with the lack of leverage people criticize him for. I think he'll make a solid 3-4 DE or a 4-3 DT with a year of NFL coaching.

The guy is also very intelligent. 4.0 student who speaks fluent French and constantly helps out in the community. This type of stuff will not hurt his stock and he will definitely be drafted on the first day. I think a team like the Jets will select him with their second round pick.

BoltHype
01-06-2008, 05:15 PM
I think people are being too hard on Okam. Any time a guy is 6 foot 5 and 320 plus pounds his motor will be questioned. I also don't agree with the lack of leverage people criticize him for. I think he'll make a solid 3-4 DE or a 4-3 DT with a year of NFL coaching.

The guy is also very intelligent. 4.0 student who speaks fluent French and constantly helps out in the community. This type of stuff will not hurt his stock and he will definitely be drafted on the first day. I think a team like the Jets will select him with their second round pick.

he wouldn't be a bad pick in the second round, but im not sure you couldn't do better with a guy like Pat Sims or Dre Moore (if those guys are still around in round 2)

in terms of financial investment, I wouldn't want to sign Okam to a round-one type deal until he proves he can play up to his capabilities on a consistent basis. Look at Luis Castillo on the Chargers...the guy was a first round pick (30th?) because he plays with a great motor that more than matches his physical tools.

etk
01-06-2008, 05:17 PM
I'm pretty sure Pat Sims is returning to Auburn.

toonsterwu
01-06-2008, 05:19 PM
Btw, there were rumors out there that Pat Sims was told he'd be a day 2 pick. Granted, these days, that could mean 3rd round.

genom
01-06-2008, 09:03 PM
Btw, there were rumors out there that Pat Sims was told he'd be a day 2 pick. Granted, these days, that could mean 3rd round.

Day 2? Wow, I thought Pat Sims outperformed Okam and also Dre Moore from the little I saw of him. Pat Sims looked like a monster this year.

BroadwayJoe10
01-06-2008, 11:04 PM
Pat Sims looked awesome, I thought with workouts he could have risen as one of the leading 34 DEs in this draft. After his meltdown in his freshman season he had really turned it around and i think he'll definately benefit by staying another year, but i'm surprised he got such a low grading.

I think this quote from tuberville basically says a lot about his character issues. It's not always ideal that a player has a situation like he had, but sometimes that's what it takes to make a player realize what a great oportunity he has been given.

"He's a leader. He's grown up, and he'll tell you that. His attitude is a lot different towards doing things in a leadership role. I'm proud of Pat," said Tommy Tuberville.

urinemonkey
01-07-2008, 05:56 AM
I love Okam. He has been very productive throughout his career despite taking on double teams most of the time. He can make plays in the backfield and get after the QB too. He was a big reason why the Longhorns run D was so good and for a team that can't stop the run (like my Denver Broncos), he is just what the doctor prescribed.

Texas Homer
01-08-2008, 02:52 PM
Poor Motor.

He played with more passion in the Bowl game and that will help him a lot.

The key for Big Frank is that he needs to show up at the combine in somewhat decent shape and he needs to convince NFL GM's that he loves playing the game of football. If he does both, he could get drafted in the 2nd rnd. If not, he will slide.

Don Killuminati
01-09-2008, 12:16 AM
I think, if you want to draft a NT, someone like Ahtyba Rubin is probably the guy that's valued closer to that spot. Some folks think Okam and Red Bryant will both fall to the 4th/5th range. Their size may blunt the fall, but Rubin's been rising rapidly. There's some speculation that Rubin is a first rounder, which I'm wary of right now, but he's probably in that 2nd round mix and is a NT prospect.
Bryant falling that far? I thought he was, at worst, early 3rd. Why the predicted plunge?

HEISMANHERSCHEL
01-10-2008, 02:28 AM
By the way, I live in Texas and watch the longhorns.

For those that dont, you need to read the following:

Stay away from Okam early. Overrated.

I cant say I see him get pushed back a lot, but it does happen. And he does not make plays.

I really think the scouts will see this, and he will fall a lot in the draft. Later in the draft, I would take him. But not even close to the first day.

Texas Homer
01-26-2008, 06:35 PM
He didn't play very well in the Shrine game in my opinion.:-(

He looked to get pushed around by smaller linemen. He didn't get very good leverage and didn't play with a high motor.
I still think if Okam could light a fire under himself and play with more passion, that he could be a force on the DL. I was disappointed with his play though at the shrine game.

He seems like a nice person though. I hope everything works out for him. He'sa Longhorn and I'm going to support him.