PDA

View Full Version : International Bowl

ljk2171
01-06-2008, 10:41 AM
I thought there were some pretty good prospects in the International Bowl yesterday, just curious on people's thoughts on the game, here are my reactions:

Ray Rice: If he comes out, probably a late first round pick, but could go higher thanks to a weak RB class outside of McFadden. If Jamaal Charles has stellar workouts, then I would think he has the size and speed to move ahead of Rice and into the latter art of round one. I'm not sure on Rice's timed speed, but I did like the Emmitt Smith comparison. I'm not saying that Rice will go on to be a top 5-10 back like Smith, but I think they both have enough and even deceptive speed, and are also powerful, yet undersized compact runners. Smith is a touch bigger, so we'll see if Ray can put on 10 pounds and not lose any speed. Staying one more year may not be a good idea due to the workload he assumes at Rutgers.

Nate Davis: In my opinion this kid is a future first round pick. Assuming he actually does measure at 6'2, he has good enough size not to deter scouts. I liked the way he threw the ball and the way he moved in the pocket as well as knowing when to run especially against a defense that was far superior to the talent he had around him. Rutgers defense was getting pressure all day and Davis delivered good crisp passes and staying with his throws. Davis reminds me somewhere between Brady Quinn and Donovan McNabb. He is definitely a prospect to keep an eye on next season.

Other Ball State Prospects: Darius Hill has great size at the Tight End position, and should get drafted next season, but needs to work on his blocking. I like the way he runs and catches the ball. With some added bulk he good be a nice player at the next level. Dante Love is a quick WR who is slightly undersized yet productive. He's not going to really get any taller, but I think he can be effective in the right system in the pros. He may be used as a kick returner and third or fourth receiver who can stretch the field.

Other Rutgers Prospects: Kenny Britt is a solid WR prospect thanks to his size and production in a run based offense when he decided to enter the draft. The same can be said for TE Kevin Brock. Rutgers offensive line was dominating, but Ball State's defense was not too impressive so it was kind of hard to evaluate them in this particular game.

My biggest surprise was the play of Davis, I left this game with very high expectations for him down the line at both the college and pro level.

Travis 24
01-06-2008, 10:54 AM
Ray Rice is a beast. :)

Kevin Brock has potential..He's already a pretty good blocker, just needs to be a little more utilized in the passing game. Kenny Britt is more than a solid prospect, IMO. I think he may be the best soph. WR in the country. The guy is 6'4" 205 lbs, and is a low 4.4 guy with superb athleticism. He will be a top 10-15 pick when he enters the draft.

Nate Davis has always impressed me...I caught 3 Ball State games this year. That guy has a hell of an arm and is somewhat mobile. 6'1"-6'2" 210-215 lbs, in that area, he has the size. He just has "it".

ljk2171
01-06-2008, 11:03 AM
Ray Rice is a beast. :)

Kevin Brock has potential..He's already a pretty good blocker, just needs to be a little more utilized in the passing game. Kenny Britt is more than a solid prospect, IMO. I think he may be the best soph. WR in the country. The guy is 6'4" 205 lbs, and is a low 4.4 guy with superb athleticism. He will be a top 10-15 pick when he enters the draft.

Nate Davis has always impressed me...I caught 3 Ball State games this year. That guy has a hell of an arm and is somewhat mobile. 6'1"-6'2" 210-215 lbs, in that area, he has the size. He just has "it".

I do agree that Britt is more than a solid prospect, I want to see him play more against constant double teams and when defenses are not forced to play 8 in the box due to Rice and the Rutgers offensive line. That being said, I do think he is one of the top sophomores in the country, If Rice stays, Rutgers is going to be very good next season.

etk
01-06-2008, 11:14 AM
There were a lot of interesting things that happened today, so why not write them up...

Starting at the top with Rutgers, Mike Teel throws a great deep ball. It will be interesting to see if they pass more next year, especially vertical and especially if Rice leaves. Underwood, Britt, and #2 (Brown I think) are all good deep receivers. Ray Rice ran wild, but shockingly I wasn't impressed. All his big runs came on simple Power O plays where the defense got sealed and he got the edge/sideline untouched. Any back can do what he did on those runs, and I'll go as far as to say that #24 would've had more yards because he's faster. Rice got caught from behind every time, except for when #1 tackled him like a girl. I think it's time for him to declare but he has nothing left to prove, but he'll be only a Day 2 prospect because of his lack of speed/explosion. Rutgers' OLine struggled early on, but improved as they pulled and moves around more. Davis is huge but he blocks way too high. Fladell is taller but he blocks lower so you wouldn't know. The two best tacklers on RU are Courtney Greene and Jeremy Ito, lol. Eric Foster looks overmatched at DT and played Dorsey inconsistent. I do like him as a prospect though. Jamaal Westerman sucked in his homecoming, but part of the reason was that he went up against Robert Brewster for most of the game. Brewster is the real deal and should be playing LT. Rutgers' linebackers looked good on blitzes but are slow and bad tacklers.

For Ball State, the story must begin and end with Dante Love. He was the player I was most looking forward to and he was the most impressive in the end. He reminds me of Steve Smith with the ball in his hands, but he doesn't have Smith's size and strength which will hurt his draft stock. He just makes people look silly in the open field, and he's a true go-to-guy despite his size, or lack thereof. He also looked great on returns as did BJ Hill (really explosive). Nate Davis was okay. He looked great just dumping the ball off to Love, but he held on way too long when Love wasn't open. He had some nice scrambles, but should've ran it in from about the 6 (bad choice not to). Darius Hill didn't really impress me. He's really lanky and doesn't move very well. His ball skills aren't great and his hands are average. He needed to step up as another weapon for Davis and he didn't. The moral of the story for Ball State was their lack of weapons and inability to contain Ray Rice on the outside or cover deep.

I wrote this yesterday...lol. Nice work though bud.

scottyboy
01-06-2008, 11:15 AM
Rutgers OL has 3 seniors, at least 2(sosa and Zuttah) expected to be drafted, and I feel Fladell will be drafted 6th-7th round. Also, Anthony Davis, the AA freshman OL is a stud, look for him to be a high pick in 2-3 years.

Courtney Greene played ok, i doubt he leaves this year.

Watc out for Eric Foster. His instincts and motor makes him an excellent prospect for the NFL. Along with his leadership. He'll be a pretty good LDE or 3-4 ILB in the NFL. His combine will shoot him up the draft boards.

etk
01-06-2008, 11:19 AM
I sat next to someone who had a booklet of pages printed out from nfldraftscout to get a sense of the top players on the field. Anthony Davis was the #1 Fr OG, Rice was the #5 Jr RB, Greene was the #3 Jr S. Foster was ranked pretty low, and Sosa and Zuttah were 14 and 17 respectively. Rutgers should have all 3 Sr. OL drafted this year.

scottyboy
01-06-2008, 11:23 AM
I sat next to someone who had a booklet of pages printed out from nfldraftscout to get a sense of the top players on the field. Anthony Davis was the #1 Fr OG, Rice was the #5 Jr RB, Greene was the #3 Jr S. Foster was ranked pretty low, and Sosa and Zuttah were 14 and 17 respectively. Rutgers should have all 3 Sr. OL drafted this year.

that all sounds about right. Zuttah, Sosa and Foster will jump up at the combine. There all VERY athletic for their respected positions and may even change positions in the NFL(Foster to LDE or Buck ILB) and perhaps Sosa or Zuttah to OG? Sosa and especially Zuttah would be great in a ZBS.

Fladell is a flat out mauler who plays with a nasty streak and he's FREAKING HUGE!!!! not very athletic though.

One guy who had a few penalties on him last game was #26 Joe Lefeged. The kid murders guys on the field. He's INSANE! he'll probably start next year for Girault when Ron graduates.

etk
01-06-2008, 11:25 AM
Zuttah is too small to play OT in the NFL. He's one of the top ZBS OGs, like you said.

scottyboy
01-06-2008, 11:28 AM
Zuttah is too small to play OT in the NFL. He's one of the top ZBS OGs, like you said.

I see him going to Denver in the 3rd or 4th. He'd be a nice fit there.

I'm anxious to see Rice's decision. Should be announced some time this week.

Greene needed a big bowl game, which he didn't have. That and his timed speed will hurt his stock, but a weak draft class would favor him entering. The only 2 guys we have who could declare early. it'll be interesting.

Billingsley26
01-06-2008, 11:43 AM
Not a ba write up etk.

Scottyboy, I could only think of you when Ito kicked the 53 yarder. And when Rice ran for like 280. Pretty good game.

To be honest, I think that WEsterman just gets a lot of hype because he is from Toronto, at least in our media. I wated hi thorougly for a lot of the season, and he didnt really stick out all year. He didnt do a lot today. I cant really say I was impressed with his play. Still, good to see a fellow GTA'er doing well.

Nate Davis has to be soo overrated. The guy cannot throw a dcent looking ball deeper than 10 yards. Every deep ball he tried was horrible. He only completed dump offs, and let the WR do the rest.

Still, pretty good game. I think there were 31,000 people there. Pretty good atmosphere, probably better than any Argos game. Pretty good to watch.

This was my write up yesterday.

I dont see anything great in Nate Davis. He cannot complete a pass deeper than 10 yards. All he does is throw little curls or ins and outs. He cannot stetch the field whatsoever.

scottyboy
01-06-2008, 11:45 AM
oh yea billingsley, thanks for reminding me...

Jeremy Ito=HOT SEX!!!!

his 53 yarders, than boots it out of the end zone. Made a tackle, oh god how I love him. DRAFT HIM GIANTS!!!!! he kicks extra points better than tynes!

ljk2171
01-06-2008, 04:22 PM
I wrote this yesterday...lol. Nice work though bud.

Guess we'll have to agree to disagree about Davis, I think he's a future first rounder and was actually impressed with his play versus a very good defense, like I said, he reminds me of Donovan McNabb without the giant arm, but a little more accurate underneath.

etk
01-06-2008, 04:40 PM
Guess we'll have to agree to disagree about Davis, I think he's a future first rounder and was actually impressed with his play versus a very good defense, like I said, he reminds me of Donovan McNabb without the giant arm, but a little more accurate underneath.

I don't understand. He didn't throw one good deep ball, and he stood way too long in the pocket. His only success came when he threw little dump offs to Dante Love, who's a beast and made them into first downs. I think he has good tools but he needs to back them up with his play.

ljk2171
01-06-2008, 04:46 PM
He really didn't have all day, there was pretty good pressure on him most of the day. He moved around in the pocket and stepped up in the pocket really well creating a bit more time than he truly had. He's a sophomore, so obviously there are still throws he needs to improve. He didn't make too many deep throws, but when he did throw down field, they had good velocity and nice touch. Love is his best receiver and they ran him underneath all day because Rutgers was rolling coverage his direction all day largely because Rutgers' front seven did not need any help in run support or need the use of anything resembling blitz packages to get in the backfield, they were just a better unit.

etk
01-06-2008, 05:06 PM
I'll agree with what you said there. He steps up in the pocket well to avoid the outside rush, but he doesn't react well to the inside rush. He has a very strong arm, that's not being disputed, but his accuracy on deep balls was shaky. He had one throw that really impressed me: he ran to his left to avoid the rush and threw a rocket out of bounds across his body. That was impressive, but like I said, he has the tools but isn't making all the throws. Good thing he's a Soph, like you said.

WildDude
01-06-2008, 08:14 PM
I doubt Anthony Davis will stick around at Guard hes got enormous potenial at the Tackle position, and Ray Rice was unbelievable its safe to say hes as good as gone

Forenci
01-06-2008, 08:24 PM
I'm just wondering, but what would you do if Rice comes out this year and for whatever reason Dallas got a hold of him? Would you be forced to cut yourself, Scotty? I would see no other alternative.

I mean, one of your favorite Rutgers players playing for one of our most hated rivals? Sure you want him to do good, but not if it means helping the Cowboys, right?

I just thought I would 'plant the seeds of horror' in your mind. I'm cruel sometimes.

Jonny
01-07-2008, 08:32 AM
Nate Davis wasn't that good I thought. He has physical tools, but no pocket presence at all. I did like Hill though, and Love showed top-tier speed.

I know a lot more about RU guys obviously, being a big fan. Teel was playing a bad defense, but it was nice to see him healthy. He throws a nice deep ball. Rice wasn't really that impressive I thought. He's still a 4.6 guy running behind a top OL. Speaking of OL, Sosa and Zuttah are the real unsung heroes of our team. These guys are criminally underrated.

Kenny Britt is indeed one of the top sophomore WR prospects. It's stunning how people are still missing the boat on him. Underwood is ok, but is more of a complementary player. Brock has come on a bit in the 2nd half, it'll be worth watching if he can improve his blocking next year.

Rice with the Cowboys would be like a boot stomping on the face of humanity for eternity. No!

etk
01-07-2008, 10:10 AM
Nate Davis wasn't that good I thought. He has physical tools, but no pocket presence at all. I did like Hill though, and Love showed top-tier speed.

I know a lot more about RU guys obviously, being a big fan. Teel was playing a bad defense, but it was nice to see him healthy. He throws a nice deep ball. Rice wasn't really that impressive I thought. He's still a 4.6 guy running behind a top OL. Speaking of OL, Sosa and Zuttah are the real unsung heroes of our team. These guys are criminally underrated.

Kenny Britt is indeed one of the top sophomore WR prospects. It's stunning how people are still missing the boat on him. Underwood is ok, but is more of a complementary player. Brock has come on a bit in the 2nd half, it'll be worth watching if he can improve his blocking next year.

Rice with the Cowboys would be like a boot stomping on the face of humanity for eternity. No!

I agree with everything you said, except for maybe Hill. I don't think he translates well to the the next level.