PDA

View Full Version : Why isnt Phillip Merling in the Rankings?

adamprez2003
01-06-2008, 03:17 PM
The guy is a sick puppy and my understanding is he's considering foregoing his junior year to enter the draft. To me he's a first day draft choice. Wonder why you dont have him ranked.

Jakey
01-06-2008, 03:25 PM
The guy is a sick puppy and my understanding is he's considering foregoing his junior year to enter the draft. To me he's a first day draft choice. Wonder why you dont have him ranked.

Becuae he's an underclassman...only the seniors are ranked

genom
01-06-2008, 03:40 PM
http://www.draftdaddy.com/blog/nfldraft.cfm

Is reporting merling has already entered the draft, after receiving a second round grade.

bored of education
01-06-2008, 04:53 PM
http://www.draftdaddy.com/blog/nfldraft.cfm

Is reporting merling has already entered the draft, after receiving a second round grade.

Once I see official reports I will buy iy. The kid is one sick human being that is for sure. A 1st round talent IMO

genom
01-06-2008, 04:59 PM
Once I see official reports I will buy iy. The kid is one sick human being that is for sure. A 1st round talent IMO

These guys are as close to official as you will find. I agree on the 1st round talent assessment, the guy will be a player.

Geo
01-06-2008, 05:02 PM
Once he or any other junior officially declares, then Scott will add him to the rankings (assuming he's good enough to be ranked). Until then, Scott sticks with players we concretely know are entering the Draft. So give it a week or two, as we see who declares and who doesn't, and then Scott can eventually update his rankings.

adamprez2003
01-06-2008, 06:46 PM
Once he or any other junior officially declares, then Scott will add him to the rankings (assuming he's good enough to be ranked). Until then, Scott sticks with players we concretely know are entering the Draft. So give it a week or two, as we see who declares and who doesn't, and then Scott can eventually update his rankings.

Thanks for the feedback. Cant wait to read his write up. I think he's going to be a steal for someone

islandboy843
01-06-2008, 06:51 PM
Clemson is turning into DE U.

After Merling there is Ricky Sapp and you can Daquan Bowers will be up there soon too.

Dawg4L21
01-06-2008, 06:53 PM
can Merling play in a 34?

islandboy843
01-06-2008, 07:13 PM
He is about 280 and played some DT so he might could put on a couple of pounds and do it.

JT Jag
01-06-2008, 07:20 PM
I'd love to have Merling on the Jags. He'd probably slot in around there too.

He fits what we look for in a pass-rusher: The whole package. Speed, agility, and quickness yes, but in a frame that gives you size and run-defense on the edge.

DiG
01-06-2008, 07:41 PM
i like merling. not sure if i see him as a 1st rounder yet. i need some more info on him but his tangibles seem promising. with a good pro day/combine he could be a late first rounder.

energizerbunny
01-06-2008, 08:11 PM
I'd love to have Merling on the Jags. He'd probably slot in around there too.

He fits what we look for in a pass-rusher: The whole package. Speed, agility, and quickness yes, but in a frame that gives you size and run-defense on the edge.

I agree, he would be a great selection for the Jags... and brings everything to the table they look for in every down DEs.

Mr. Stiller
01-06-2008, 08:13 PM
He is about 280 and played some DT so he might could put on a couple of pounds and do it.

Merling reportedly was down in the 260's this season and actually played in some coverage, he could very well play OLB in a 3-4 running in the low to mid 4.7's.

G-Men88
01-06-2008, 08:18 PM
speaking of people not being in the rankings where is Adrian Arrington?

Mr. Stiller
01-06-2008, 08:26 PM
speaking of people not being in the rankings where is Adrian Arrington?

He hasn't declared either.

JT Jag
01-06-2008, 08:31 PM
Merling reportedly was down in the 260's this season and actually played in some coverage, he could very well play OLB in a 3-4 running in the low to mid 4.7's.I think his ideal position is DE in a 4-3. He could do that weighing 270 pounds. Maybe at LDE, but he could probably play RDE too, especially if the team doesn't play Cover 2.

JT Jag
01-06-2008, 08:32 PM
speaking of people not being in the rankings where is Adrian Arrington?He hasn't declared either.He's a senior.

darnik44two
01-06-2008, 08:38 PM

After Merling there is Ricky Sapp and you can Daquan Bowers will be up there soon too.

Merling might be the best 3-4 DE prospect in the draft (if he's in).

genom
01-06-2008, 08:59 PM
I really like Merling. I don't think it's a stretch to assume he could put on 15 pounds and play DE, or possibly lose 10 pounds and play OLB in a 3-4. The guy can flat out get to the passer, and is stout against the run. He's also got a pretty good motor, he is one of my favorite prospects in the draft.

P-L
01-06-2008, 09:05 PM
He's a senior.
No, he's a RS Junior.

JT Jag
01-06-2008, 09:09 PM
No, he's a RS Junior.ESPN.com lied to me.

VoteLynnSwan
01-06-2008, 09:17 PM

you could have added Gaines Adams as well.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
01-06-2008, 09:45 PM
damn clemson sure is turning into DE U. Ricky Sapp, then DaQuan Bowers... Holy shittttttttttttttttt

islandboy843
01-06-2008, 11:35 PM
you could have added Gaines Adams as well.

Everyone knows about him thats why I didn't put him.

TheSchmidt
01-07-2008, 10:22 AM
I think Florida would have to be "DE U" right now.

Mr. Stiller
01-07-2008, 10:46 AM
I think Florida would have to be "DE U" right now.

?

Jarvis Moss..Bobby McCray.. Jevon Kearse..

I'm thinking DE U is Ohio State or Penn State..

Rodney Bailey, Kenny Peterson, Will Smith, Darrion Scott, Simon Fraser, Mike Kudla, Jay Richardson, Vernon Gholston, Lawrence Wilson, Alex Borrow, Doug Worthington, Robert Rose....

urinemonkey
01-07-2008, 01:29 PM
?

Rodney Bailey, Kenny Peterson, Will Smith, Darrion Scott, Simon Fraser, Mike Kudla, Jay Richardson, Vernon Gholston, Lawrence Wilson, Alex Borrow, Doug Worthington, Robert Rose....

Most of those names have done little or nothing in the NFL.

Clemson is becoming DE U. They're not quite at that status yet though.

TheSchmidt
01-07-2008, 02:34 PM
?

You could also add Jeremy Mincey, Kevin Carter and Alex Brown to the list for Florida.

Don't really know who has the most all time or what not, but Florida has some pretty good ones in the NFL right now, and if you want to count the future, Derrick Harvey. Could easily be Ohio State, they have a lot of solid ones in the NFL. Not sure about Clemson though, who else do they have in the NFL other than Gaines Adams?

AdropOFvenom
01-08-2008, 12:40 AM
Most of those names have done little or nothing in the NFL.

Clemson is becoming DE U. They're not quite at that status yet though.

I actually think it's Purdue recently.

Anthony Spencer
Ray Edwards
Shaun Phillips
Akin Ayodele
Chike Okeafor
Rosevelt Colvin

...to name a few.

AdropOFvenom
01-08-2008, 12:41 AM
As for Merling, word was he dropped around 10 pounds and was playing at 270ish to improve his speed. He's not playing 3-4 DE at the next level, but I believe he could be an awesome 3-4 OLB.

Cashmoney
01-08-2008, 12:43 AM
ESPN.com lied to me.

Douchebags usually are liars.