PDA

View Full Version : etk's Day One Mock, with SURPRISE!

etk
01-06-2008, 04:37 PM
If you have any comments/concerns with any of the picks feel free to post constructive criticism. For those of you who need simple english, don't just say "bad pick, we don't need him". That will get you nowhere here. Conversely, a good convincing argument could lead to a change in picks and positive rep.

Enjoy! Feel free to ask me to explain any of the picks.

Mock

1st Round

1. Miami Dolphins - Vernon Gholston, DE/OLB.
2. St. Louis Rams - Chris Long, DE.
3. Oakland Raiders - Sedrick Ellis, DT.
4. Kansas City Chiefs - Jake Long, OT.
5. Atlanta Falcons - Ryan Clady, OT.
6. New York Jets - Darren McFadden, RB.
7. New England Patriots - Kenny Phillips, S.
8. Baltimore Ravens - Malcolm Jenkins, CB.
9. Cincinnati Bengals - Glenn Dorsey, DT.
10. New Orleans Saints - Mike Jenkins, CB.
11. Buffalo Bills - Malcolm Kelly, WR.
12. Denver Broncos - Dan Connor, LB.
13. Carolina Panthers - Brian Brohm, QB.
14. Chicago Bears - Andre Woodson, QB.
15. Detroit Lions - James Laurinaitis, LB.
16. Arizona Cardinals - Quentin Groves, DE/OLB.
17. Minnesota Vikings - DeSean Jackson, WR.
18. Houston Texans - Jonathan Stewart, RB.
19. Philadelphia Eagles - Keith Rivers, LB.
20. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Calais Campbell, DE.
21. Washington Redskins - Kentwan Balmer, DL.
22. Dallas Cowboys (f/CLE) - Charles Godfrey, CB.
23. Pittsburgh Steelers - Phil Loadholt, OT.
24. Tennessee Titans - Limas Sweed, WR.
25. Seattle Seahawks - Martin Rucker, TE.
26. New York Giants - Nic Harris, S.
27. San Diego Chargers - Reggie Smith, DB.
28. Jacksonville Jaguars - Derrick Harvey, DE.
29. Dallas Cowboys - Rashard Mendenhall, RB.
30. San Francisco 49ers (f/IND) - Early Doucet.
31. Green Bay Packers - Antoine Cason, CB.

-----Forfeited Pick: New England-----

2nd Round

32. Miami Dolphins - Sam Baker, OT.
33. St. Louis Rams - Matt Ryan, QB.
34. Oakland Raiders - Phillip Merling, DE.
35. Kansas City Chiefs - Aqib Talib, CB.
36. Atlanta Falcons - Colt Brennan, QB.
37. New York Jets - Shawn Crable, OLB.
38. San Francisco 49ers - Dre Moore, DL.
39. Baltimore Ravens - James Hardy, WR.
40. Cincinnati Bengals - Martellus Bennett, TE.
41. New Orleans Saints - Jerod Mayo, LB.
42. Buffalo Bills - Erin Henderson, LB.
43. Denver Broncos - Thomas DeCoud, S.
44. Carolina Panthers - Jonathan Hefney, DB.
45. Chicago Bears - Jeff Otah, OT.
46. Detroit Lions - Brandon Flowers, CB.
47. Arizona Cardinals - Jamaal Charles, RB.
48. Minnesota Vikings - Frank Okam, DT.
49. Atlanta Falcons (f/HOU) - Josh Barrett, S.
50. Philadelphia Eagles - Gosder Cherilus, OT.
51. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Andre Caldwell, WR.
52. Washington Redskins - Adarius Bowman, WR.
53. Cleveland Browns - Kendall Langford, DE.
54. Pittsburgh Steelers - Leodis McKelvin, CB.
55. Tennessee Titans - Lawrence Jackson, DE.
56. Seattle Seahawks - Chris Ellis, DE.
57. New York Giants - Ali Highsmith, OLB.
58. Miami Dolphins (f/SD) - Tracy Porter, CB.
59. Jacksonville Jaguars - Harry Douglas, WR.
60. Dallas Cowboys - Ahtyba Rubin, DT.
61. Indianapolis Colts - Tommy Blake, DE.
62. Green Bay Packers - Tavares Gooden, OLB.
63. New England Patriots - Phillip Wheeler, LB.

http://usversusthem.files.wordpress.com/2007/07/s_nfl_goodell_060809300w.jpg

Welcome everyone to the 2nd Day of the 2008 NFL Draft. The Miami Dolphins are on the clock with the 64th pick...

With the 64th selection in the 2008 NFL Draft, the Miami Dolphins select...

http://bp0.blogger.com/_kYfk7oVb7z8/Ru4D4F7oAwI/AAAAAAAAA7o/ykZ_hKiCdwI/s1600/Jordy2.jpg

JordyZ RayZ NelsonZ, WR Kansas State

http://nbcsports.nbcunifiles.com/spts/files/nbcsports/nfl/NFL%20Week%207/dolphinsfanbag.jpg
http://youtube.com/watch?v=RaYgGSHJ5hM&feature=related

bored of education
01-06-2008, 04:39 PM
LOL CLASSIC. Best draft ever for KC. Like Talib at that pick. Would be solid across from Surtain and take over the number 1 CB position in a year

JORDYZ NELZONZZZZ!!

etk
01-06-2008, 04:41 PM
How did I know you'd be the first to post here? lol.

bored of education
01-06-2008, 04:42 PM
We got that kind of connection yo!!! JORDYZ NELZONZ GODLY!!!

Chucky
01-06-2008, 04:43 PM
To tell you the truth im not 100% sold on Calais Campbell, I know that you have a mancrush on him , but I think we would be much better off trading up for desean

Turtlepower
01-06-2008, 04:44 PM
I really really liked the Nic Harris pick for the Giants in Round 1. He is a prototypical SS which is very needed in our defense. As for Highsmith in Round 2, I have been pleasantly surprised by our OLB play the past few weeks and I think that possibly drafting a CB like McKelvin might be more practical.

Great Job with the Giants. =D

adschofield
01-06-2008, 04:44 PM
LOL...classic...great Chiefs' draft

hugegmenfan
01-06-2008, 04:46 PM
ok giants draft. a lil surprised with the 1st round pick but its a good pick b.c thats our biggest need.

2nd round give us a CB

derza222
01-06-2008, 04:50 PM
Not really much of a need at RB for the Jets but tough to pass up on McFadden there. Crable's a nice pick in the second, Dre Moore would be worth considering as well.

For the Bengals obviously there's no way they could pass on Dorsey at that point so that's a good pick. Bennett in the second is an alright pick. I'll give you that it's a good pick, but I don't think it's a realistic one. The Bengals obviously have no good receiving threats at tight end. However, they've been passing on tight ends for years now because their offense really uses the tight end for blocking and not much else which is why Reggie Kelly is perfect. They could definitely use a tight end to work the middle of the field and open things up on the outside along with helping them out in the red zone. So is it a good pick? Sure. But I'm not sure I'd see it happening, especially given the offensive staff isn't changing though I think it should. Mayo or Henderson would probably be a better and realistic pick at that spot.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Bengals consider the OL or even RB early. Marvin wants the run game to improve and though their were injuries on the line it was definitely subpar this season. I think the line is a better thing to address but they have Kenny Watson who's not really a starter, Rudi Johnson who hasn't been the same back recently, and Kenny Irons and Chris Perry both of whom have had some injury problems. Irons not so much and I don't think they'd give up on him, but I wouldn't be shocked to see them look at a bruising RB in the 3rd-5th range to compliment Irons down the road. Just a thought.

Anyways I went on a bit of a tangent there but with your mock I do think one of the LB's you have going after the second would be a solid selection and a little more realistic based on the Bengals' drafting history than Bennett.

etk
01-06-2008, 04:51 PM
To tell you the truth im not 100% sold on Calais Campbell, I know that you have a mancrush on him , but I think we would be much better off trading up for desean

LDE is arguably the biggest need on our team, and Campbell is a freakish player that would revolutionize the position for us. Our only LDE's are Kevin Carter and Greg Spires. Both are very old and neither can rush the passer. Campbell will be great vs. run and pass, while freeing up better matchups for Haye, Adams & White. Campbell is great value at 20 anyway.

Did you see Galloway get manhandled against the Giants? He's at least 180, while Jackson is listed at 166. I'm not sold on a WR that small having any impact outside of occasional deep balls and PRs, plus it would be stupid to trade up in a draft that's weak at the top and deep in the middle.

I really really liked the Nic Harris pick for the Giants in Round 1. He is a prototypical SS which is very needed in our defense. As for Highsmith in Round 2, I have been pleasantly surprised by our OLB play the past few weeks and I think that possibly drafting a CB like McKelvin might be more practical.

Great Job with the Giants. =D

Yeah, I definitely see what you're saying. Highsmith was great value, but there's no question he'd have competition to start for a while. I don't like the idea of drafting Ross in Rd. 1 then another 2 DBs in the first 2 rounds the next year, plus Webster stepped up big. McKelvin is also good value but there's more CBs available in Round 3.

bored of education
01-06-2008, 04:54 PM
etk, do you think Hefney is more of a cover 2 Cb than a safety at the next level?

etk
01-06-2008, 04:56 PM
Not really much of a need at RB for the Jets but tough to pass up on McFadden there. Crable's a nice pick in the second, Dre Moore would be worth considering as well.

For the Bengals obviously there's no way they could pass on Dorsey at that point so that's a good pick. Bennett in the second is an alright pick. I'll give you that it's a good pick, but I don't think it's a realistic one. The Bengals obviously have no good receiving threats at tight end. However, they've been passing on tight ends for years now because their offense really uses the tight end for blocking and not much else which is why Reggie Kelly is perfect. They could definitely use a tight end to work the middle of the field and open things up on the outside along with helping them out in the red zone. So is it a good pick? Sure. But I'm not sure I'd see it happening, especially given the offensive staff isn't changing though I think it should. Mayo or Henderson would probably be a better and realistic pick at that spot.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Bengals consider the OL or even RB early. Marvin wants the run game to improve and though their were injuries on the line it was definitely subpar this season. I think the line is a better thing to address but they have Kenny Watson who's not really a starter, Rudi Johnson who hasn't been the same back recently, and Kenny Irons and Chris Perry both of whom have had some injury problems. Irons not so much and I don't think they'd give up on him, but I wouldn't be shocked to see them look at a bruising RB in the 3rd-5th range to compliment Irons down the road. Just a thought.

Anyways I went on a bit of a tangent there but with your mock I do think one of the LB's you have going after the second would be a solid selection and a little more realistic based on the Bengals' drafting history than Bennett.

Agree on McFadden, and Moore. I considered Moore in the 2nd.

Spot on with the Bengals. Bennett was a tough pick for me to make and I realized how little the position is used, but who doesn't want a weapon like that for their offense? They can make room for him. LB was the first thing that came to mind, especially with the guys available, but then I realized the Bengals have good young depth there. I'm not really sure what the situation is with guys like Pollack, Thurman and Nicholson so it was difficult to give them a LB. OL is definitely another possibility, but I don't see RB considering they just took Irons in Round 2 last year, plus they have Johnson, Perry and Watson.

Good post, thanks.

Chucky
01-06-2008, 04:57 PM
Just a question about Campbell. How "NFL-ready" is he, will he be able to contribute as much as gaines did this year, more/less. Will he be able to come in right away and start for us, because clearly the Bucs are in a win-now mentality.

Caddy
01-06-2008, 04:58 PM
Your Buc draft is fine but did you drop Campbell to the Bucs on purpose :).

etk
01-06-2008, 04:58 PM
etk, do you think Hefney is more of a cover 2 Cb than a safety at the next level?

I think both are great fits for him. He closes very well and is surprisingly physical for his size, so I do believe he can play S at the next level. He's a great tackler so the size shouldn't be an issue. Overall, I'd say Hefney is better suited for FS because he can come downhill and fill more often. As a Cover 2 cornerback he would be doing similar things but he would be a bit more restricted.

etk
01-06-2008, 05:03 PM
Just a question about Campbell. How "NFL-ready" is he, will he be able to contribute as much as gaines did this year, more/less. Will he be able to come in right away and start for us, because clearly the Bucs are in a win-now mentality.

Ahh...good question. Campbell is physically ready to start in the NFL, think Jamaal Anderson. He will be a force against the run and he will make plays in pursuit (much better than Carter). The concern would be his immediate effect on 3rd downs/passing situations, where he's very raw in his pass rush moves and skills. He would learn a lot from the vets on our D, but I would lean towards taking him out on clear passing downs like we did with our LDEs this year. Luckily we have White and Adams who are great at rushing from opposite sides.

Your Buc draft is fine but did you drop Campbell to the Bucs on purpose :).

LOL...another good question. I actually couldn't find a spot for him because of his stock dropping, so he came to the Bucs naturally. I had him going to Washington initially with them picking in our spot, but then we lost so I switched us around, enabling us to draft him at 20 :D

derza222
01-06-2008, 05:06 PM
Agree on McFadden, and Moore. I considered Moore in the 2nd.

Spot on with the Bengals. Bennett was a tough pick for me to make and I realized how little the position is used, but who doesn't want a weapon like that for their offense? They can make room for him. LB was the first thing that came to mind, especially with the guys available, but then I realized the Bengals have good young depth there. I'm not really sure what the situation is with guys like Pollack, Thurman and Nicholson so it was difficult to give them a LB. OL is definitely another possibility, but I don't see RB considering they just took Irons in Round 2 last year, plus they have Johnson, Perry and Watson.

Good post, thanks.

I definitely agree that they could make room for him, I'm just not sure if they will. The LB situation is interesting, Pollack is trying to come back but may never actually do so and probably won't, and Thurman is looking to be reinstated and should find out around February. If he comes back that's great, but until then they have a lot of banged up guys. Their most consistent starter this season was probably Landon Johnson who is an unrestricted free agent. If he gets resigned and Thurman is reinstated then the LB core is solid with good depth and those 2 along with Brooks as starters, but if only one of those two returns and especially if neither does LB is a pretty big need, probably the Bengals' biggest along with DE right now.

I think OL is definitely possible and is a direction they should go in and RB while I wouldn't be a proponent of the pick is possible especially given their history with the position making picks like Chris Perry and Kenny Irons that really didn't make much sense at the time. Don't think they'd do it day 1 this year but early day 2 wouldn't be all that surprisng. I think they feel Rudi Johnson is on the decline and if a bruiser is available there that would be a good compliment to Irons I wouldn't be shocked if they pulled the trigger. Not that I think it would be a good pick but it wouldn't be surprising at all. Still prefer OL though.

junior2430
01-06-2008, 05:34 PM
Decent draft for Denver, although I don't think Connor will go that high. In the scenario you laid out, I would prefer Rivers or DeSean Jackson. But I wouldn't be unhappy with Connor.

Second round, I can't say much about. Some have DeCoud rated highly, some very lowly. I haven't seen him play, so the variance in rating has me cautious on him. But we definitely need a S, so I guess it's okay.

Cherilus in the 2nd would be sweet though too. With Lepsis retiring, it looks like Ryan Harris will take over LT. Pears is awful at RT, so someone like Cherilus would be nice at RT.

Gridiron
01-06-2008, 05:48 PM
Great Jets picks, though I'd be extremely surprised if we passed on Otah in the second round. RT is just such a huge need and I personally feel he is better value there.

The Jets probably employ the worst LG and RT in the NFL. That needs to be fixed.

Tampa 2 4 life
01-06-2008, 05:48 PM
1st Round: A++++++++

2nd Round: F. Jordy Nelson was still on the board.

adschofield
01-06-2008, 05:58 PM
I'm sorry, but I can't see Miami taking Gholston with Nelsonzzz still on the board

Jakey
01-06-2008, 06:00 PM
The Steelers might take a flier on Jordyzzz Nelsonzzz if he still there at the end of round 1. Just a heads up bro.

RaiderNation
01-06-2008, 06:03 PM
Glen Dorsey?

go_ravens94
01-06-2008, 06:18 PM
Good Ravens R1. Huh Ravens pick R2?

GB12
01-06-2008, 06:22 PM
Absolutely perfect Packers mock.

T-RICH49
01-06-2008, 06:28 PM
LOL CLASSIC. Best draft ever for KC. Like Talib at that pick. Would be solid across from Surtain and take over the number 1 CB position in a year

JORDYZ NELZONZZZZ!!

that would be my dream draft scenario

george_allen
01-06-2008, 06:41 PM
2. St. Louis Rams - Chris Long, DE.
33. St. Louis Rams - Matt Ryan, QB.

matt ryan to st louis in the 2nd . . .
interesting.

i'd rather see them take otah or hardy in that situation though.

01-06-2008, 06:47 PM
A bit of a homer pick with Campbell to the Bucs? lol.

doingthisinsteadofwork
01-06-2008, 06:53 PM
Glen Dorsey?
Ellis>Dorsey.
Good Oakland draft.

etk
01-06-2008, 07:00 PM
Decent draft for Denver, although I don't think Connor will go that high. In the scenario you laid out, I would prefer Rivers or DeSean Jackson. But I wouldn't be unhappy with Connor.

Second round, I can't say much about. Some have DeCoud rated highly, some very lowly. I haven't seen him play, so the variance in rating has me cautious on him. But we definitely need a S, so I guess it's okay.

Cherilus in the 2nd would be sweet though too. With Lepsis retiring, it looks like Ryan Harris will take over LT. Pears is awful at RT, so someone like Cherilus would be nice at RT.

I gave Connor to Denver over Rivers because of his versatility. He could play all 3 LB spots, like DJ Williams. Rivers is only a WLB prospect, and Denver seems to like Ian Gold even though he sucks. I think DJax is a reach with Marshall and Walker at 1 & 2.

I've seen DeCoud play twice. I wasn't sure about him at first, but then I saw him as a solid yet unspectacular safety prospect. He's a good cover safety.

Great Jets picks, though I'd be extremely surprised if we passed on Otah in the second round. RT is just such a huge need and I personally feel he is better value there.

The Jets probably employ the worst LG and RT in the NFL. That needs to be fixed.

It's always hard to predict which teams need OGs and RTs, because positions like that aren't easy to notice and they aren't talked about very often. I'll think of that for my next mock.

Good Ravens R1. Huh Ravens pick R2?

What's wrong with Hardy? He's a steal at that point and the Ravens need a WR for the future, especially a big target. Clayton and Williams are the only decent targets for Troy Smith or whoever QBs the Ravens, and I'm a firm believer in surrounding your young QBs with weapons to maximize their success. Who else do you think the Ravens should draft there? I know OL and LB depth are possibilities.

Seasonticketholder
01-06-2008, 07:11 PM
etk, I am one who also believes that Dorsey could slip a little bit due to injury concerns. However, if he does drop, I am sure that the Saints would trade up to #8 to select him. There is no way they don't make an effort to put him in a Saints uniform. And Baltimore may be willing to do it if they can get a third rounder out of it as well as prevent a division rival from getting Dorsey.

etk
01-06-2008, 07:13 PM
That may be the case, but I'm not cluttering my mock with trades. I try to make things as realistic as possible, except for the Bengals drafting a TE.

Babylon
01-06-2008, 07:18 PM
I think even if Ryan dropped some he would be a huge value pick for teams like Minnesota and Tampa Bay.

Chucky
01-06-2008, 07:24 PM
I think even if Ryan dropped some he would be a huge value pick for teams like Minnesota and Tampa Bay.

Dont get etk started on this one. *hides*

DiG
01-06-2008, 07:36 PM
the Redskins need on the dline isnt at DT. Griffin is great and Monte and Gholston have been awesome this year in rotation. Bowmans decent value in rd 2 but Id rather have a corner or oline. They are bigger needs.

jdb1972
01-06-2008, 07:55 PM
Hmmm... a QB and a coverage safety for the Panthers. Who still don't need a QB and who basically use two strong safeties.

Yeah. I'd look toward OT, DT, RB, DE, WR first.

superfly69
01-06-2008, 08:03 PM
Gholsten going #1 does not shock me. He is in the mold of DeMarcus Ware and we know Parcells loves guys like that. But Matt Ryan will not fall into round #2 and if he does the Dolphins would draft him immediately.

BuckNaked
01-06-2008, 08:32 PM
Love the Jackson pick, but hate the Okam pick. Makes no sense at all, I guess i'll take Lawrence Jackson there in round 2.

skinzzfan25
01-06-2008, 08:34 PM
Not feelin the Skins draft.

GB12
01-06-2008, 08:34 PM
Dont get etk started on this one. *hides*
You're doing a fantastic job hiding.

adschofield
01-06-2008, 08:36 PM
Gholsten going #1 does not shock me. He is in the mold of DeMarcus Ware and we know Parcells loves guys like that. But Matt Ryan will not fall into round #2 and if he does the Dolphins would draft him immediately.

But it doesn't make sense with Jordyzzz Nelsonzzz on the board

Billingsley26
01-06-2008, 08:39 PM
I dont think that the Bills would take a WR with both Lauriniatis and Connor on the board. I would say flip Kelly with Lauriniatis, and then in the 2nd round you could throw Fred Davis in there.

I think Buffalo will make more of a stab at a WR through FA, and draft a player in round 1 who can make a substantial impact almost immediately. The LB or DT speak to me the most, and I think that Lauriniatis is a great pick there.

Diehard
01-06-2008, 08:46 PM
I gave Connor to Denver over Rivers because of his versatility. He could play all 3 LB spots, like DJ Williams. Rivers is only a WLB prospect, and Denver seems to like Ian Gold even though he sucks. I think DJax is a reach with Marshall and Walker at 1 & 2.

I'm fine with Connor over Rivers, but I'd like to know why you chose Connor over Laurinaitis. "Little Animal" could be a fine addition to Denver's D.

etk
01-06-2008, 08:49 PM

I think his value is right in the early 2nd round, where I have him. Minnesota doesn't need a QB and he doesn't fit well in Tampa anyway. Maybe some team would trade up for him a la Quinn. I understand some teams love gunslingers so that would probably happen.

the Redskins need on the dline isnt at DT. Griffin is great and Monte and Gholston have been awesome this year in rotation. Bowmans decent value in rd 2 but Id rather have a corner or oline. They are bigger needs.

Balmer is there as a LDE. What's the average age of Phillip Daniels and Renaldo Wynn? 34? Balmer fits the prototype for that position in that system and I think that's right where his value should be. What are the Redskins needs on OLine?

Hmmm... a QB and a coverage safety for the Panthers. Who still don't need a QB and who basically use two strong safeties.

Yeah. I'd look toward OT, DT, RB, DE, WR first.

The Panthers don't need a QB? Is it still the offensive line's fault that David Carr sucks? Is Jake Delhomme not aging, declining and injury prone? Oh, right, you have an UDFA. That trio right there isn't gonna convince not to give the Panthers their choice of QB from 4 solid ones, sorry. I don't consider Jonathan Hefney a coverage safety. Have you ever seen him play or are you commenting based on his size? I think people made the same comments about Bob Sanders going into the draft...

OT & DT are positions I'd consider for the 2nd round in the future. I don't see what's wrong with DeAngelo Williams, and you just drafted Charles Johnson and Dwayne Jarrett.

etk
01-06-2008, 08:53 PM

I'm not ready to judge what the Dolphins will do with the QB situation just yet. There are too many question marks and factors with Parcells coming in. Ryan is definitely a possibility, or any QB for that matter.

Love the Jackson pick, but hate the Okam pick. Makes no sense at all, I guess i'll take Lawrence Jackson there in round 2.

I wasn't sure what to do with the Vikes right there, to be honest. I went with Okam because he could be developed as Pat Williams' replacement. I don't really think DE is a realistic pick, just by looking at the young depth at the position and the numbers of high draft picks from that group. Any other suggestions?

I dont think that the Bills would take a WR with both Lauriniatis and Connor on the board. I would say flip Kelly with Lauriniatis, and then in the 2nd round you could throw Fred Davis in there.

I think Buffalo will make more of a stab at a WR through FA, and draft a player in round 1 who can make a substantial impact almost immediately. The LB or DT speak to me the most, and I think that Lauriniatis is a great pick there.

There's no doubt LB would be the pick if they signed a WR, but it's too early to tell. At this point I see WR as a bigger need than LB, so that's what I went with.

etk
01-06-2008, 08:55 PM
I'm fine with Connor over Rivers, but I'd like to know why you chose Connor over Laurinaitis. "Little Animal" could be a fine addition to Denver's D.

To be perfectly honest, I added Laurinaitis to the mock later on. I had the Lions taking Jerod Mayo but I wasn't comfortable with the value so I plugged in Laurinaitis even though I don't think he will declare. Even so, Connor is more versatile, and Denver already has DJ at MLB I thought.

Flyboy
01-06-2008, 09:24 PM
Tell me about Jerod Mayo, etk.

thebow305
01-06-2008, 09:34 PM
awesome phins draft! id rather a D-lineman instead of a wide reciever in round 3, but its aight if we got gholston and baker to start the draft, id be thrilled!

Hines
01-06-2008, 10:00 PM
I can live with Loadholt, and if McKelvin fell to the Steelers, I would love that.

TACKLE
01-06-2008, 10:12 PM
I don't think that Seattle will pass on Mendenhall if he's there. I now TE is a big need and they already have spent a lot on Alexander but this season but the running game has been the weakness of the team. Even with a lack of great recieving options, Hasslebeck has managed to have his best season ever. All year, the ground game with really lacking a spark. Mendenhall can bring that speed. Rashard is probably the most complete back in the draft a can contribute right away.

On another note, I don't see Matt Ryan falling to the 2nd round but who knows. I don't see Connor getting picked ahead of Laurenitas. Like the Nic Harris pick. I've had him going to San Diego for a while but never thought to gie him to the Giants. Good call on that. Some interesting picks but all in all a nice mock.

etk
01-06-2008, 10:27 PM
Tell me about Jerod Mayo, etk.

Oh man, what's not to tell about Mayo, I have such a man crush on him..lol. For starters, he has optimum size for a LB coming out of college (6'3 230). He's a very fluid athlete and a true sideline-to-sideline defender. He's great at coming downhill and filling on outside runs, and he's physical enough to stop inside runs. He hits with power and drives through tackles very nicely. He uses his hands well in dragging down ballcarriers. He was an absolute monster against Wisconsin in the bowl game, and his closing speed only got more impressive as the game wore on. The article in the game program made it sound like he's also a great leader, and he's only a Junior. I think he had 140 tackles on the season, with about 10 for loss. All the rumors indicate he will declare and I'd expect him to be a huge riser in the draft, possibly as the #1 MLB.

etk
01-06-2008, 10:29 PM
I don't think that Seattle will pass on Mendenhall if he's there. I now TE is a big need and they already have spent a lot on Alexander but this season but the running game has been the weakness of the team. Even with a lack of great recieving options, Hasslebeck has managed to have his best season ever. All year, the ground game with really lacking a spark. Mendenhall can bring that speed. Rashard is probably the most complete back in the draft a can contribute right away.

On another note, I don't see Matt Ryan falling to the 2nd round but who knows. I don't see Connor getting picked ahead of Laurenitas. Like the Nic Harris pick. I've had him going to San Diego for a while but never thought to gie him to the Giants. Good call on that. Some interesting picks but all in all a nice mock.

Hey thanks for the comments, appreciate it. As far as Seattle goes...yeah Mendenhall is a great back and even better value, but Alexander is their feature guy and Morris is a solid backup. For those reasons I don't think RB is a 1st round option just yet, but it is a consideration.

DiG
01-06-2008, 10:41 PM
Balmer is there as a LDE. What's the average age of Phillip Daniels and Renaldo Wynn? 34? Balmer fits the prototype for that position in that system and I think that's right where his value should be. What are the Redskins needs on OLine?

At 295 lbs I can't imagine that Balmer has the speed/agility/pass rushing to play LDE.

On OLine we need anything but C.

etk
01-06-2008, 10:44 PM
At 295 lbs I can't imagine that Balmer has the speed/agility/pass rushing to play LDE.

On OLine we need anything but C.

Balmer is 288. Daniels and Wynn are both over 288. I haven't seen a bulk of Balmer in game situations, but everything I've seen shows enough quickness and pass rush savvy to play LDE for the Skins scheme. It's not an ideal pick but I think it's a solid fit. I'll think about OL next time around.

DiG
01-06-2008, 10:46 PM
\I think he had 140 tackles on the season, with about 10 for loss.

he had 127

etk
01-06-2008, 10:47 PM
he had 127

Not including the bowl game...

DiG
01-06-2008, 10:50 PM
Balmer is 288. Daniels and Wynn are both over 288. I haven't seen a bulk of Balmer in game situations, but everything I've seen shows enough quickness and pass rush savvy to play LDE for the Skins scheme. It's not an ideal pick but I think it's a solid fit. I'll think about OL next time around.

first off wynn isnt even on the skins and daniels is 276. Id say 275-280 is the prototypical range but its workable from 270-285.

And for Balmers weight we will see at the combine. The UNC site has him at 295 and espn has him at 297.

http://tarheelblue.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/balmer_kentwan00.html
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?id=12118&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnfl draft%2fdraft%2ftracker%2fplayer%3fid%3d12118

I just don't think its a good fit to move him to LDE. He's a natural DT and hes too big to play outside, especially if he doesnt even break a 5.0 40 which is expected.

etk
01-06-2008, 10:52 PM
first off wynn isnt even on the skins and daniels is 276. Id say 275-280 is the prototypical range but its workable from 270-285.

And for Balmers weight we will see at the combine. The UNC site has him at 295.

http://tarheelblue.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/balmer_kentwan00.html

I just don't think its a good fit to move him to LDE. He's a natural DT and hes too big to play outside, especially if he doesnt even break a 5.0 40 which is expected.

Daniels only 276? I wasn't aware of that. He's probably over the range for that defense now, so I definitely won't have him there again.

Vikes99ej
01-06-2008, 11:03 PM
I like the first round pick a lot, but I would MUCH rather have Chris Ellis in the second round. DE is a bigger need than DT depth without a doubt.

etk
01-06-2008, 11:08 PM
I like the first round pick a lot, but I would MUCH rather have Chris Ellis in the second round. DE is a bigger need than DT depth without a doubt.

Can you please explain this to me? The Vikings have so many DEs but everyone says they need another one...

Babylon
01-06-2008, 11:37 PM
[QUOTE=etk;826297]I think his value is right in the early 2nd round, where I have him. Minnesota doesn't need a QB and he doesn't fit well in Tampa anyway. Maybe some team would trade up for him a la Quinn. I understand some teams love gunslingers so that would probably happen.

His grade will be in the 9.7 range as a prospect so his value will be as a top 10 pick, early second and he becomes a great value pick. That isnt going to happen.

Vikes99ej
01-07-2008, 12:22 AM
Can you please explain this to me? The Vikings have so many DEs but everyone says they need another one...

We have several DEs, but none have the speed an end needs to succeed in the Cover 2. We tried every end we had, and still managed to get under 40 sacks. Brian Robison could play a role in the future, but we need someone to step in right now to improve the 32nd ranked pass defense.

etk
01-07-2008, 08:17 AM
We have several DEs, but none have the speed an end needs to succeed in the Cover 2. We tried every end we had, and still managed to get under 40 sacks. Brian Robison could play a role in the future, but we need someone to step in right now to improve the 32nd ranked pass defense.

That's disappointing that none of those guys can cut it, and that there are no good safeties available either.

Shane P. Hallam
01-07-2008, 09:16 AM
I like the draft overall, some different tries (Matt Ryan, Talib, Otah, etc).

Focusing on the Steelers, Loadholt looks real nice to me in the first. In the second, McKelvin is a steal there, so I'm very cool with us taking him, though we have bigger needs like WR or more O-line, but it looks like WR is cashed out, so I'm cool.

jdb1972
01-07-2008, 11:31 AM
The Panthers don't need a QB? ... Is Jake Delhomme not aging, declining and injury prone?
He's aging no more than any other player (i.e., he's 33, less than a year older than Matt Hasselbeck). No, he's not declining; he posted a 111 PR before his injury this season. No, he's not injury prone; that's Donovan McNabb and Daunte Culpepper.

The only question with Delhomme, as has been discussed ad nauseam, is the unknown impact of TJ surgery on an NFL QB. It's rare; the only other NFL QBs to have had it shouldn't have been on a roster to start with. It's possible he'll start the season on PUP. If he is, they'll bring in a vet, probably to back up and mentor Moore.

Oh, right, you have an UDFA.
Draft position is irrelevant. Performance is. AKA the Brady-Romo rule, previously the Warner-Delhomme rule.

85.6 passer rating, 62 percent accuracy, YPA of over 7 in three starts against playoff teams (well, two playoff team Ds, and one mixed starters and backups). That's potential. It's also why he was the December offensive rookie of the month. Half the teams in the NFL would kill to have a rookie QB able to do that.

Come to think of it, Derek Anderson's getting hype for putting up worse rate numbers when starting than that, with more targets, a much better OL, and a running game...

I don't consider Jonathan Hefney a coverage safety. Have you ever seen him play or are you commenting based on his size? I think people made the same comments about Bob Sanders going into the draft...
I'm a Vols fan. Hefney's a coverage safety. The Panthers prefer to play two strong safety types. Any other questions about teams and players I pay a lot of attention to? ;)

OT & DT are positions I'd consider for the 2nd round in the future. I don't see what's wrong with DeAngelo Williams, and you just drafted Charles Johnson and Dwayne Jarrett.
The coaching staff doesn't like Williams' efforts in pass blocking, he's inconsistent (long runs with a lot of stuffs in between), and he's had a list of injuries in college. Those are some of the reasons why DeShaun "3.5 YPC" Foster played ahead of him the whole season, and those are some of the reasons why it's a safe bet they'll need someone to pair him with next year, assuming they let the vastly overpaid and underwhelming Foster go.

Johnson and Jarrett didn't play almost the whole season, despite huge problems (and health issues) with the guys in front of them. Johnson wasn't even active until week 15 despite Peppers' struggles, and Jarrett from all accounts couldn't be bothered to memorize the play book. In addition, the Panthers' nominal #2 and #3 WRs are free agents, leaving only Steve Smith and the kick returner aside from Jarrett. Unless you count late-season signee Travis Taylor. :eek:

That there are holes at these positions is indisputable. The only question is if they're filled with free agents (remembering the Panthers' poor cap shape) or draft picks. I expect DE and WR will probably be free agents, and RB a draftee, but it'll be a while before that shakes out.

Vikes99ej
01-07-2008, 11:38 AM
That's disappointing that none of those guys can cut it, and that there are no good safeties available either.

I want to wait until next year for safety. I love Taylor Mays and Myron Rolle.

etk
01-07-2008, 12:04 PM
He's aging no more than any other player (i.e., he's 33, less than a year older than Matt Hasselbeck). No, he's not declining; he posted a 111 PR before his injury this season. No, he's not injury prone; that's Donovan McNabb and Daunte Culpepper.

The only question with Delhomme, as has been discussed ad nauseam, is the unknown impact of TJ surgery on an NFL QB. It's rare; the only other NFL QBs to have had it shouldn't have been on a roster to start with. It's possible he'll start the season on PUP. If he is, they'll bring in a vet, probably to back up and mentor Moore.

Draft position is irrelevant. Performance is. AKA the Brady-Romo rule, previously the Warner-Delhomme rule.

85.6 passer rating, 62 percent accuracy, YPA of over 7 in three starts against playoff teams (well, two playoff team Ds, and one mixed starters and backups). That's potential. It's also why he was the December offensive rookie of the month. Half the teams in the NFL would kill to have a rookie QB able to do that.

Come to think of it, Derek Anderson's getting hype for putting up worse rate numbers when starting than that, with more targets, a much better OL, and a running game...

I'm a Vols fan. Hefney's a coverage safety. The Panthers prefer to play two strong safety types. Any other questions about teams and players I pay a lot of attention to? ;)

The coaching staff doesn't like Williams' efforts in pass blocking, he's inconsistent (long runs with a lot of stuffs in between), and he's had a list of injuries in college. Those are some of the reasons why DeShaun "3.5 YPC" Foster played ahead of him the whole season, and those are some of the reasons why it's a safe bet they'll need someone to pair him with next year, assuming they let the vastly overpaid and underwhelming Foster go.

Johnson and Jarrett didn't play almost the whole season, despite huge problems (and health issues) with the guys in front of them. Johnson wasn't even active until week 15 despite Peppers' struggles, and Jarrett from all accounts couldn't be bothered to memorize the play book. In addition, the Panthers' nominal #2 and #3 WRs are free agents, leaving only Steve Smith and the kick returner aside from Jarrett. Unless you count late-season signee Travis Taylor. :eek:

That there are holes at these positions is indisputable. The only question is if they're filled with free agents (remembering the Panthers' poor cap shape) or draft picks. I expect DE and WR will probably be free agents, and RB a draftee, but it'll be a while before that shakes out.

You made some good points, but I can't really see the Panthers passing up their choice of QB for another position, even though they have many needs.

jdb1972
01-07-2008, 12:56 PM
You made some good points, but I can't really see the Panthers passing up their choice of QB for another position, even though they have many needs.
I suppose we'll see. Wish I were a betting man, though, 'cause I think I could really rake in the money on this one... :D

Matthew Jones
01-07-2008, 01:29 PM
Phillips isn't really a great pick - we have Meriweather, Sanders, Harrison at safety already, and possibly (but probably not) Eugene Wilson. Maybe the third or fourth round would be a good place to draft a safety. Wheeler's not bad.

etk
01-07-2008, 02:20 PM
Phillips isn't really a great pick - we have Meriweather, Sanders, Harrison at safety already, and possibly (but probably not) Eugene Wilson. Maybe the third or fourth round would be a good place to draft a safety. Wheeler's not bad.

The way I see it, Meriweather moves to corner, leaving just Sanders and Harrison at safety. Even if Wilson returns, that's still a shaky S situation especially with the age of Rodney. Phillips adds more versatility to the defense backfield and teams up with Meriweather once again. Outside of Phillips, Nic Harris & maybe Reggie Smith the safeties are shaky in this draft.

Xiomera
01-07-2008, 03:16 PM
15. Detroit Lions - James Laurinaitis, LB

Don't get my hopes up. He would never fall out of the top ten . . .

That said, I like the Lions mock a lot.

junior2430
01-07-2008, 03:22 PM

I've seen DeCoud play twice. I wasn't sure about him at first, but then I saw him as a solid yet unspectacular safety prospect. He's a good cover safety.

I do like Connor's versatility, but think the Rivers is a better prospect. Gold makes $3 million and he's most likely gone. Rivers would be a nice upgrade.

As for DJax, Walker most likely talked his way off the team recently. Stokely isn't big enough to be a starting guy. Plus, DJax would immediately upgrade the return game, which Denver has lacked for years.

Finsfan79
01-07-2008, 04:30 PM
cant say much bad for the miami draft except I dont think gholston is a number 1 overall type of talent. But i guess tonight will tell alot. I think he would be there at 3-4 if we traded back.

Finsfan79
01-07-2008, 04:36 PM
cant say much bad for the miami draft except I dont think gholston is a number 1 overall type of talent. But i guess tonight will tell alot. I think he would be there at 3-4 if we traded back.

BeerBaron
01-07-2008, 05:09 PM
thats a pretty fantastic bears draft to get otah in round 2...

although id be a little concerned about him if he fell that far, but i can't argue with the value there

etk
01-07-2008, 05:21 PM

Who in the draft do you think is a better overall talent? I actually think Gholston is the best player in the draft, but it is weak at the top.

rickscott
01-07-2008, 05:30 PM
As a Bengals fan, I Love It! but, I really can't see Dorsey falling like that but I like Rd 2 pick also.

Yung Flippa
01-07-2008, 07:17 PM
Good 1st Round for the Ravens and no way the Ravens pass on Erin Henderson, epically for a wide receiver.

Sveen
01-09-2008, 11:16 AM
9. Cincinnati Bengals - Glenn Dorsey, DT.
10. New Orleans Saints - Mike Jenkins, CB.
If Dorsey went off the board right in front of us I might cry... :(

etk
01-09-2008, 04:27 PM
If Dorsey went off the board right in front of us I might cry... :(

I had Dorsey to the Saints in my old mocks that I didn't post, but I wouldn't post that here because all the Bengals fans would kill me.

NGSeiler
01-09-2008, 04:35 PM
Not a fan of the second round pick for the Rams. They need to address a QB at some point, and I understand an argument for Ryan's value at that spot. But no QB is going to succeed until the team improves its offensive line, which they could do with either Otah or Cherilus at the top of round two.

etk
01-09-2008, 04:37 PM
Not a fan of the second round pick for the Rams. They need to address a QB at some point, and I understand an argument for Ryan's value at that spot. But no QB is going to succeed until the team improves its offensive line, which they could do with either Otah or Cherilus at the top of round two.

An OT? What's the use with a healthy Pace and Barron at RT. I don't see the logic of drafting an OT in the first 3 rounds when you have an All-Pro guy one one side and his future replacement on the other.

litlharsh
01-09-2008, 04:50 PM
After watching a DeSean Jackson highlight video, I have to say I'd cream my panties if we got him. 2nd rounder I don't really like a DT, but there isn't much to work with there...probably a pass rush specialist DE, I don't know much about prospects so I can't comment.

NGSeiler
01-09-2008, 04:53 PM
An OT? What's the use with a healthy Pace and Barron at RT.

You could ask the same question of a QB with a healthy Bulger in front of him and five years remaining on his hefty long-term contract.

I don't see the logic of drafting an OT in the first 3 rounds when you have an All-Pro guy one one side and his future replacement on the other.

People who continue to refer to Barron as Pace's future replacement confuse me. It's not an opinion I share at this point. The fact of the matter is that the Rams' offensive line coach was fired days ago in part because Alex Barron among other young players has made little if any progress over the last two years and may have actually regressed in his play.

Also, it's recognized by most people who follow the organization that Barron was one of the players Bulger called out last season for not caring about the outcomes of games and simply playing for a paycheck.

It's been my firm belief for over a year that the Rams need to bring in someone to compete for his starting job because he makes too many mental errors and doesn't block well enough to allow you to tolerate them. Over the course of this season he's not convinced me that he's our future starting LT.

iloxygenil
01-09-2008, 06:32 PM
Falcons draft is fair...but man...passing on Gosder Cherilus for Josh Barret *who i really like btw* just seems silly to me. I know Clady in round1 is a great pickup but we need more than 1 OT.

brat316
01-09-2008, 06:37 PM
I think your second round draft order is wrong IDK, some drafts i saw Cards, Eagles, Min draft positions switched around

Sniper
01-09-2008, 07:03 PM
Good Eagles first round pick with Keith Rivers. However, after watching some BC games this year Cherilus just never really impressed me. He seems lazy at times and tries to coast by on natural ability and isn't too overpowering. I'd much prefer a playmaker here in either TE Fred Davis or WR Mario Manningham

etk
01-09-2008, 09:35 PM
Falcons draft is fair...but man...passing on Gosder Cherilus for Josh Barret *who i really like btw* just seems silly to me. I know Clady in round1 is a great pickup but we need more than 1 OT.

Cherilus is probably better value than Barrett, but I think the S values might be skewed a bit in this draft because of the lack of talent and depth at the position. It also depends on what coach the Falcons hire, because not many coaches would go OT 2 rounds in a row.

I think your second round draft order is wrong IDK, some drafts i saw Cards, Eagles, Min draft positions switched around

I have no clue.

Good Eagles first round pick with Keith Rivers. However, after watching some BC games this year Cherilus just never really impressed me. He seems lazy at times and tries to coast by on natural ability and isn't too overpowering. I'd much prefer a playmaker here in either TE Fred Davis or WR Mario Manningham

I didn't have Manningham in this mock. I will in my next one of course. I don't really see TE as a need but WR could be an option over OT if the value is better.

Sniper
01-09-2008, 09:45 PM
I didn't have Manningham in this mock. I will in my next one of course. I don't really see TE as a need but WR could be an option over OT if the value is better.

LJ Smith is gone, leaving us with Brent Celek (a blocking TE) and Matt Schobel (a blocking TE) we need a playmaking TE.

etk
01-09-2008, 09:50 PM
LJ Smith is gone, leaving us with Brent Celek (a blocking TE) and Matt Schobel (a blocking TE) we need a playmaking TE.

How do you know LJ Smith is gone just yet? If that is indeed true I'd definitely give the Eagles a TE.

Sniper
01-10-2008, 06:41 AM
How do you know LJ Smith is gone just yet? If that is indeed true I'd definitely give the Eagles a TE.

Because he was repeatedly offered a contract extension and rejected it saying he wanted to go on the FA market. He's looking for top 5 TE money when he was the worst starting TE in the NFC East. 99.9% he doesn't re-sign with the Eagles.

bigmac076
01-10-2008, 10:08 AM
I'd love to see Mendenhall in Dallas

P-L
01-10-2008, 10:33 AM
Jordy Nelson went way too low. After he runs his 3.8 40 at the combine, he'll find away to get drafted before #1 overall.

PalmerToCJ
01-11-2008, 03:12 PM
Sweet first rounder for the Bengals.

Round 2 I'd rather see a LB/DE, mostly DE since Justin Smith is probably going to be allowed to walk.

etk
01-12-2008, 07:05 PM
Sweet first rounder for the Bengals.

Round 2 I'd rather see a LB/DE, mostly DE since Justin Smith is probably going to be allowed to walk.

If more Smith rumors fly around I'll definitely have the Bengals drafting a DE in the first 2 rounds.

Gay Ork Wang
01-12-2008, 07:15 PM
Jordy Nelson went way too low. After he runs his 3.8 40 at the combine, he'll find away to get drafted before #1 overall.
3.8 r u kiddin me? He is walking that

thebow305
01-13-2008, 05:33 PM
give us Macho Harris instead of Tracy Porter in the 2nd and that would be an absolutely perfect phins draft.

etk
01-13-2008, 05:34 PM
give us Macho Harris instead of Tracy Porter in the 2nd and that would be an absolutely perfect phins draft.

I'm pretty sure I posted this before Harris declared. I agree though.

brat316
01-13-2008, 05:37 PM
when are u going to update it and make the eagles not pick a Lb in the first

etk
01-13-2008, 05:39 PM
when are u going to update it and make the eagles not pick a Lb in the first

When am I going to update it? After the final date for underclassmen to declare,

When will the Eagles not take a LB in the 1st? Probably never.

thebow305
01-13-2008, 07:46 PM
I'm pretty sure I posted this before Harris declared. I agree though.

oh ok... thanks... I love Macho... where do you think he will ultimately end up? I don't think our pick we got from the Chargers in the 2nd would be too much of a reach.

The OUTLAW
01-13-2008, 07:47 PM
Kendall Langford is a bit of a reach in the second round for the Browns. I think Tyson Jackson would be a better pick in that spot.

thebow305
01-13-2008, 07:56 PM
Kendall Langford is a bit of a reach in the second round for the Browns. I think Tyson Jackson would be a better pick in that spot.

Tyson Jackson probably won't declare. And if he did, he would most likely be gone by that spot anyway.

etk
01-13-2008, 10:25 PM
oh ok... thanks... I love Macho... where do you think he will ultimately end up? I don't think our pick we got from the Chargers in the 2nd would be too much of a reach.

I think he will end up in the 45-70 range because it is a deep CB class. The combine is really what will separate about 10-15 CBs from eachother.

I agree. It was a need pick, and Jackson would replace him if he declares.

johbur
01-14-2008, 01:49 AM
Absolutely perfect Packers mock.

QFT.

I also love the AZ Cardinals picks. Groves at DE and Charles as the transition back for Edge is a great combination. Sure, they could use some secondary help, but maybe they can get Asante.

For GB, I am a huge Cason fan. The more I find out about Tavares Gooden, the more I am thinking that his selection by GB would give the Packers the best LB trio in the league.

Nice overall mock.

BamaFalcon59
01-14-2008, 07:03 PM
Falcons Draft

Ryan Clady, OT Boise State
Not a very good pick. Potential but light in the pants and likely to get pushed around due to thin legs. We are looking to bulk up on the offensive line and he just does not do the job.

Colt Brennan, QB Hawaii
Again, not a good pick. While in the Georgia performance he faced some adversity and had some issues, he still looked horrible. A doubt a senior bowl can raise him back up to the high round 2 area. Also very thin and not pro ready. We need pro ready. I like Mayo or Chad Henne there.

Josh Barrett, SS Arizona State
Depends on if he is a safety at the pro level. If not it is a bad pick, but if so it is decent. RB is a bigger need offensively but that can be found in round 3. Middle linebacker and noze tackle are bigger needs defensively and strong safety is on par with DE (backup) and CB (nickel). Darren Stone is also a good project at strong safety.

etk
01-14-2008, 07:11 PM
Falcons Draft

Ryan Clady, OT Boise State
Not a very good pick. Potential but light in the pants and likely to get pushed around due to thin legs. We are looking to bulk up on the offensive line and he just does not do the job.

Colt Brennan, QB Hawaii
Again, not a good pick. While in the Georgia performance he faced some adversity and had some issues, he still looked horrible. A doubt a senior bowl can raise him back up to the high round 2 area. Also very thin and not pro ready. We need pro ready. I like Mayo or Chad Henne there.

Josh Barrett, SS Arizona State
Depends on if he is a safety at the pro level. If not it is a bad pick, but if so it is decent. RB is a bigger need offensively but that can be found in round 3. Middle linebacker and noze tackle are bigger needs defensively and strong safety is on par with DE (backup) and CB (nickel). Darren Stone is also a good project at strong safety.

I appreciate the comments.

I'm not a big Clady fan myself, but I think upgrading the offensive line is crucial for the Falcons and he has all-world potential as a pass blocker. It doesn't get any bigger than him as Loadholt, Oher and Boone all appear to be returning.

I think you're underrating Brennan a lot. It's tough to have any kind of success against a defense when they're rushing 3 guys, dropping 8, and still getting in your face almost every play. He's the most accurate QB in the draft, and all the Falcons need is a guy who can get the ball into the hands of the Falcons playmakers accurately and on time.

I wasn't sure of the Falcons SS situation....all I know is that Lawyer Milloy is old and Barrett reminds me some of him. I will go with the best value keeping NT, MLB and RB in mind.

GaMeTiMe
01-14-2008, 08:20 PM
Not sure if anyone commented on this, but the Eagles do not need a first round linebacker. Not only do we tend to never pick one when we need it, but this is the first year that we actually don't.

Omar Gaither, Chris Gocong and Stewart Bradley are the (hopeful) starters for the long-term at each linebacker position (where each one sticks is still up for debate) and Takeo Spikes is obviously here to help out as they continue to develop. Gaither is basically there and ready to start full-time, and I hope we give Bradley more time on the field this season. Hopefully Gocong takes a step forward after his first year seeing the field.

After those four, Akeem Jordan and Pago Togafau are young linebackers that we hope to develop into top notch starters. I would be surprised if any of the six weren't on the roster to start next season, and any team that can say that shouldn't be drafting a linebacker in the first round. A veteran signing to push the young guys for a spot maybe, but not a first round talent when we have other needs.

For once, we have some promise at the linebacker position and while they're not household names, it doesn't warrant a first round pick at the position. To me, Reggie Smith would be ideal at that spot. We need depth at corner behind Lito Sheppard and Sheldon Brown, and preparation for life after Dawkins at FS.

In the second round, I like Cherilus as a prospect, but he's strictly a right tackle at the next level and I think we need someone who can project as either. Winston Justice is still in limbo right now, and may end up settling in on the right side to replace Jon Runyan. With William Thomas also ready to move on at left tackle, we need a prospect who can swing either way to play wherever Justice doesn't. That or even a guard, in order to move Todd Herremans outside, but that would be fixing what isn't broken.

etk
01-14-2008, 08:53 PM
Chris Gocong and Stewart Bradley are both SLBs. The Eagles need an athletic WLB, and Rivers has all the tools and value. I'm not convinced that CB depth is more important than WLB when you're counting on Akeem Jordan and Pago Togafau. Keith Rivers is a LB you can count on as a leader on the stat sheet and with his teammates. Having a bunch of decent young guys isn't the solution, but drafting a stud sure is.

roidrunner
01-15-2008, 01:30 AM
Love the packs mock!

asmitty45
01-17-2008, 02:02 PM
that would be the sickest lions draft ever, but laurinitis is back in school and would surely have gone higher anyway

brat316
01-17-2008, 03:23 PM
Update it Underclass men declared do it or else

etk
01-17-2008, 09:43 PM
Update it Underclass men declared do it or else

Why would I do that when I can make an altogether new mock with analysis later? I've already done the first 20 or so picks.

LonghornsLegend
01-18-2008, 08:15 AM
Do you really see Dorsey lasting until pick 9? I dont...he's arguably the 2nd best player available in the draft, dont typically see see that kind of a slide from a guy like him that far, even if Ellis did go first, he would make more sense with Atlanta to free up Jamal Anderson on the edge and start to make their D a force again

etk
01-18-2008, 12:22 PM
Do you really see Dorsey lasting until pick 9? I dont...he's arguably the 2nd best player available in the draft, dont typically see see that kind of a slide from a guy like him that far, even if Ellis did go first, he would make more sense with Atlanta to free up Jamal Anderson on the edge and start to make their D a force again

Yes, I do. I'm probably the most anti-Dorsey guy on the boards...I just don't understand the hype. With that being said, hype does exist, so it would be impossible for him to drop past UT-desperate teams like Cincy and NO. Sedrick Ellis is roughly a full grade better as a prospect and I think once teams finish their evaluations he will be at the top of most boards at the DT position.