PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Smith Declares

Bengals1690
01-06-2008, 09:34 PM
per ESPN.

what do you all think

yo123
01-06-2008, 09:36 PM
hmmmm... I thought I heard a couple days ago he was coming back. Good move I think, dont want any more wear and tear on that body before he comes out.

FinNasty
01-06-2008, 09:44 PM
Good for him! But I got to tell ya, it hurts as a UCF fan. His hype would have seriously helped our program...

Anyway, he is one of the better RBs in this class... even with how deep it is. I'd say he is a 2nd rounder right now, with the ability to climb in the first if he times well at the combine.

Flyboy
01-06-2008, 09:47 PM
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13784

toonsterwu
01-06-2008, 09:47 PM
It's a good move if he can run around a low 4.5 time. If he can't, as much as I like him and think he'll do good as a pro, his stock could tumble, particularly if all the other juniors rumored (Ray Rice, James Davis, Felix Jones) officially declare.

Paranoidmoonduck
01-06-2008, 09:49 PM
I don't think he is very much more likely to run a good 40 time in 2009 than he is in 2008, so I think this is a good move. I still like Smith quite a bit, but his workouts will be vitally important.

princefielder28
01-06-2008, 09:50 PM
Teams will be a little hesitant to invest an early pick on him due to the amount of carries he's already had but he can be a 2nd rounder

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
01-06-2008, 09:52 PM
He'd be a great fit in ATL or Pittsburgh

toonsterwu
01-06-2008, 09:53 PM
I don't think he is very much more likely to run a good 40 time in 2009 than he is in 2008, so I think this is a good move. I still like Smith quite a bit, but his workouts will be vitally important.

True, but the junior class of RB's could really get depleted by defections, and while some sophomores will bolt early next year, he could've been better positioned. Either way, what's done is done, and now he'll have to work his tuckus off to make sure he has a good 40 time. I very much do think he can be a good pro, though.

FinNasty
01-06-2008, 09:54 PM
Teams will be a little hesitant to invest an early pick on him due to the amount of carries he's already had but he can be a 2nd rounder

The amount of carries he's had is not as bad as you would think. He didnt get the ball NEAR as often as he did this year in his previous 2 years...

Now if he stayed another year... that would be different...

FinNasty
01-06-2008, 09:55 PM
He'd be a great fit in ATL or Pittsburgh

He would be PERFECT in Denver...

DJC
01-06-2008, 09:58 PM
Damn that hurts for UCF. I was excited when I heard he was coming back. Good luck to him though, I want to see him do good in the league like Marshall is doing right now. Wouldn't mind seeing him on the Bucs, but RB doesnt really sim like too big of a need right now.

01-06-2008, 09:59 PM
He would be PERFECT in Denver...

He epitomizes a Pittsburgh RB but would also be great in the one-cut ZBS there in Denver.

adschofield
01-06-2008, 10:00 PM
He epitomizes a Pittsburgh RB but would also be great in the one-cut ZBS there in Denver.

or in Houston or Green Bay

MaxV
01-06-2008, 10:02 PM
This will be a VERY deep RB class, Smith may fall to 2nd round.

princefielder28
01-06-2008, 10:10 PM
This will be a VERY deep RB class, Smith may fall to 2nd round.

1. McFadden
2. Stewart
3. Mendenhall
4. Johnson
5. Smith
6. Charles

DJC
01-06-2008, 10:17 PM
I think Denver or Pittsburgh would be great for him too, but I cant see either one taking him. Pittsburgh already has Willie and Davenport, and Denver doesn't really take RBs early in the draft and especially this year with much bigger needs. I think a good, realistic situation for him would be in Dallas with Julius Jones likely leaving. He would be a good compliment to Barber and wouldn't have to handle the full workload.

adschofield
01-06-2008, 10:29 PM
1. McFadden
2. Stewart
3. Mendenhall
4. Johnson
5. Smith
6. Charles

Am I crazy for thinking that Mendenhall is the best back in the draft?

princefielder28
01-06-2008, 10:33 PM

No, I would not be suprised if Mendenhall and Stewart end up better than McFadden, but based off of right now I would have D-Mac at #1

01-06-2008, 10:34 PM

No not at all, you can make a case for any of the top 3 guys. I can easily say its the deepest RB draft I have ever seen.

SchizophrenicBatman
01-06-2008, 10:35 PM

nope hes my favorite RB in this draft too. most complete package, as well

D-Unit
01-06-2008, 10:37 PM
Mark me down as the first guy to say, he'll pull out right at (or near) the deadline and go back to school.

adschofield
01-06-2008, 10:37 PM
Anybody else think that Jordyzzz Nelsonzzz ends up being the best runningback in this class

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
01-06-2008, 11:09 PM
He reminds me of Fred Taylor.

Primetime21
01-06-2008, 11:14 PM
Mark me down as the first guy to say, he'll pull out right at (or near) the deadline and go back to school.

Good point. When is the deadline?

FinNasty
01-06-2008, 11:16 PM

He is in the process of getting an agent... once he does he cant go back...

He is gone...

Babylon
01-06-2008, 11:27 PM
Anybody else think that Jordyzzz Nelsonzzz ends up being the best runningback in this class

Dont start.

Patriots16-0
01-07-2008, 01:53 PM
Hoping he fells to the Patriots in round 2... He would be perfect with Laurence Maroney.

hitstreak13
01-07-2008, 04:25 PM
Smith is the ideal canditate for the Broncos. His vision and patience makes him the ideal back for their zone blocking sceme. I think the Broncos will take a crack at him if he's available in the 3rd. I personally dont think he's a 2nd rounder. The only way he'll be in the second is if Rice, Stewart, or Felix Jones dont declare early.

Geo
01-07-2008, 04:36 PM
The Broncos have so many more needs than runningback, although never count out the Rat from making a bad decision as GM.

JT Jag
01-07-2008, 04:45 PM
He reminds me of Fred Taylor.He doesn't have nearly the burst and cutback ability that defined Fred Taylor in his younger days.

But yeah, I can see what you're saying. Taylor has developed into an all-around solid back as he's aged, and Kevin Smith resembles that.

junior2430
01-07-2008, 04:46 PM
Denver doesn't have a 3rd rounder at this point.

hitstreak13
01-07-2008, 05:00 PM
Denver doesn't have a 3rd rounder at this point.

Yea your right. Sorry about that

Grave Digger
01-07-2008, 05:02 PM
To me, the few times I've watched Smith, he makes some sick moves that remind me of Walter Payton. The way he plants his feet and just wiggles his body is unreal.

However, the couple games I watched, I thought I was watching Barry Sanders...and not in a good way. I remember watching Barry Sanders and always being underwhelmed. Sure, he'd break those amazing runs after making some unbelievable cuts and juke moves, but when he wasn't breaking a long one, he was getting stuffed for 1 or 2, maybe 3 yards.

Sanders was ALWAYS looking for the homerun and it cost his team. Instead of settling for getting the 1st down, he always wanted to wiggle his way for a TD. That's the way Smith runs in my opinion. Sure, he busts those big ones and they're awesome and that helps his team, but he needs to just get yards for the other 30 carries a game. That's the big complaint I have with Smith.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
01-07-2008, 06:44 PM
To me, the few times I've watched Smith, he makes some sick moves that remind me of Walter Payton. The way he plants his feet and just wiggles his body is unreal.

However, the couple games I watched, I thought I was watching Barry Sanders...and not in a good way. I remember watching Barry Sanders and always being underwhelmed. Sure, he'd break those amazing runs after making some unbelievable cuts and juke moves, but when he wasn't breaking a long one, he was getting stuffed for 1 or 2, maybe 3 yards.

Sanders was ALWAYS looking for the homerun and it cost his team. Instead of settling for getting the 1st down, he always wanted to wiggle his way for a TD. That's the way Smith runs in my opinion. Sure, he busts those big ones and they're awesome and that helps his team, but he needs to just get yards for the other 30 carries a game. That's the big complaint I have with Smith.

Whenever I watch Smith, it's the opposite of that. I don't think he ever looks for the homerun, as you can see he's always patient with his blocks. He does some jukes, but he doesn't look for the home run. he averages 5 ypc, and it seems like he always gets 5 yards every play.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
01-07-2008, 06:45 PM
He doesn't have nearly the burst and cutback ability that defined Fred Taylor in his younger days.

But yeah, I can see what you're saying. Taylor has developed into an all-around solid back as he's aged, and Kevin Smith resembles that.

The only thing is he doesn't have Taylor's explosion. He has the cutbakc ability, and the little moves, he's just a tad slower and less explosive.

Diehard
01-07-2008, 10:12 PM
The Broncos have so many more needs than runningback, although never count out the Rat from making a bad decision as GM.

Amen to that, brother.

After all the issues at running back this year, I'm sure the idea of a single workhorse back is very appealing to the Broncos organization... I think Kevin Smith now joins DeSean Jackson as a dangerous "cannot resist the temptation" pick for Mike S. Oh well, at least the fit would be excellent with our ZBS, even if the need isn't really there.

JagHombre22
01-07-2008, 10:26 PM
I would not be opposed to the Jags looking at him if we somehow get a second 2nd rounder...or maybe with our lone 2nd rounder....

01-07-2008, 10:29 PM
I would not be opposed to the Jags looking at him if we somehow get a second 2nd rounder...or maybe with our lone 2nd rounder....

whoa whoa u guys already have two elite RBs and even when Taylors playing days are done MJD can more than carry the load.

GET LOOSE
01-07-2008, 10:32 PM
getting a little running happy huh...u guys dont need a rb until another year or 2 when taylor is done to help jones

FinNasty
01-08-2008, 11:33 AM

I know what you are saying... but it isnt b/c he is looking to hit the homerun at all. As someone who has watched him throughout his career... I wouldnt even consider him a huge homerun threat at RB.

What you saw is what happens when any RB is running against 8-9 in the box every play. He is going to pound it and pound it against a wall until he finds a little crease in the defense and then makes them pay for it...

JT Jag
01-08-2008, 12:19 PM
whoa whoa u guys already have two elite RBs and even when Taylors playing days are done MJD can more than carry the load.Maybe MJD CAN carry the load. But should we force him to do it?

He's at his best as a compliment in a platoon. We could even start him over Kevin Smith... But what harm is it to have a skilled guy with an opposing style who can log 10-15 carries a game to Maurice's 15-20?

Westbrook is a guy I really think Maurice compares to. But I think these last two years are his peak--- the Eagles are overusing him and it'll show soon.

I don't want the Jags to make that mistake with Pinball.