PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Smardzija

Babylon
01-06-2008, 11:30 PM
Notice one of the posters has his name in his sig. just curious how the BB career is going and is there any chance he may hook up with an NFL team down the road. What was the consensus on him in here a year ago?

Staubach12
01-06-2008, 11:36 PM
Way to spell!

sdpads24
01-07-2008, 12:22 AM
I think he has his mind set on baseball right now. He's a decent minor league prospect with a good fastball so I think he'll get a chance in the majors eventually.

toonsterwu
01-07-2008, 01:07 AM
As a Cubs fan, it was interesting to follow this considering the money he got and the other options he had. Jeff Samardzija really had an up and down year. Too lazy to dig up the numbers, but he really scuffled in Daytona (High A). He was temporarily moved to the bullpen because of his struggles. That said, he got a promotion based on slightly better work, and he put up solid numbers in Tennessee.

So, why'd he struggle? Some explanatory factors are out there, whether or not you buy it. This is obviously his first full year focusing on baseball, and a lot of the experience and work that a college pitcher usually got, he didn't. Another could be a quick jump (last year, he was at Boise and only a cup of tea at Peoria). Another is that the Cubs had him on pitch counts in regards to which types of pitches he could throw, as they wanted to improve his secondary stuff.

He's given every indication that his career is in baseball. Jeff's a solid prospect, with a lot of upside, but a lot of questions. He'll likely start off in double A for us (probably as our "#2" down there, with Donald Veal as the ace), with a chance at a AAA promotion, or an outside chance at a late cup of tea inthe bigs, depending on how we are doing. I expect him to start 2009 in Iowa (AAA) for us, with a best case Wrigley ETA of late 2009, and an outside rotation shot in 2010.

Ness
01-07-2008, 05:56 AM
Shame. I really wanted to see what he could be as a wide receiver in the NFL.

Patriots16-0
01-07-2008, 02:07 PM
I think he plays football better than baseball...

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
01-07-2008, 02:08 PM
He should've went pro in football, =(

josh07039
01-07-2008, 03:19 PM
I think he made the right decision, even if he is more talented in football than in baseball, because baseball leaves much less chance for lingering life-long injuries that severely lessen one's quality of life. Additionally even an average innings eater at the mlb level can see 10-15 million dollars. Furthermore even if he barely sees the Majors he is already making millions of dollars to not play football.

VoltronViking
01-07-2008, 05:00 PM
I could see him being a possession type reciever...and on occasion, burn someone on a play-action call....ooh yes and a great redzone threat

kinda reminds me of Fitzgerald but with less speed

nhlkdog411
01-07-2008, 05:03 PM
id pretty much agree there except id say more similar speed and less strength..fitzgerald is pretty beastly (although not like his teammate boldin)

Babylon
01-07-2008, 05:39 PM
I think he made the right decision, even if he is more talented in football than in baseball, because baseball leaves much less chance for lingering life-long injuries that severely lessen one's quality of life. Additionally even an average innings eater at the mlb level can see 10-15 million dollars. Furthermore even if he barely sees the Majors he is already making millions of dollars to not play football.

Not sure if you mean he got millions to sign but minor league money isnt much. I think a lot of these guys think they can get people out or hit a slider and then they find out they cant. Josh Booty hosed himself up by trying baseball, Danny Ainge couldnt do it but ended up with a stellar career in hoops. Dave Winfield, Kirk Gibson of course made millions hitting the little white ball........it sures is safer to play baseball but you better make it or you may second guess yourself i would think.

energizerbunny
01-07-2008, 05:55 PM
most baseball players can walk 15 years after their career without any pain.

A huge reason why The Shark choose baseball.

toonsterwu
01-07-2008, 06:51 PM
Just to note, Samardzija had a 2 million dollar signing bonus and a 5 year dealing paying him an AAV of 2 million/year. He also got a no trade clause. If he hits all his bonuses, he can get close to 17 million dollars total through the life of the contract. There are club options that could extend the deal to 7 years. If he goes to football, he has to return most of the money.

http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2005/01/chicago-cubs_112114177768677294.html

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
01-07-2008, 07:05 PM
Just to note, Samardzija had a 2 million dollar signing bonus and a 5 year dealing paying him an AAV of 2 million/year. He also got a no trade clause. If he hits all his bonuses, he can get close to 17 million dollars total through the life of the contract. There are club options that could extend the deal to 7 years. If he goes to football, he has to return most of the money.

http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2005/01/chicago-cubs_112114177768677294.html

toonster, do you think he will develop into a starting pitcher someday? I don't follow baseball, so i don't know anything.

toonsterwu
01-07-2008, 07:26 PM
Really hate to cop out, but it's really too early to tell with Jeff. I think, by the end of the year, most Cubs fans were a bit more optimistic of his starting potential. The signs were there, and the hopes is that, with another season of full focus on baseball, he'll improve. The big concern is that for all the talk about his raw stuff, Jeff doesn't miss bats. And that's a problem. We'll see how his secondary stuff improves this year, along with his general pitching IQ. By midseason of this year, we should have a good idea on Jeff's chances of making it as a starter, or whether or not he's more suited to be a pen arm.

Addict
01-07-2008, 07:28 PM
most baseball players can walk 15 years after their career without any pain.

A huge reason why The Shark choose baseball.

I'm just guessing here but I think the big fat paycheck was a bigger factor.

JoeSixPac
01-08-2008, 05:50 PM
i believe he was ranked as about the 80th best minor league prospect for 2007 by baseball america too.