PDA

View Full Version : Jacob Hester Question

JMiah
01-07-2008, 08:49 AM
Will Jacob Hester make it into the draft this year? If not, do you think someone will take a chance on him as an NFL HB... if not, maybe a FB?

Any word on his scouting report?

Iamcanadian
01-07-2008, 08:57 AM
If he runs well at the combine, I think you'll see him on some NFL team's roster next year. He may never be a star but he could be a very useful RB possibly even a starter.

Patriots16-0
01-07-2008, 02:09 PM
If he get good numbers at combine, I believe he will be a 4th-5th round pick.

01-07-2008, 02:16 PM
Hes got great work ethic so that alone should keep him around NFL rosters and maybe teams will take a look and give him a few handoffs here and there. Either way he should be a great special teams player. I cant see him go anywhere before the very late rounds in the 6th or 7th.

katnip
01-07-2008, 04:17 PM
To me he's below what Rutgers Brian Leonard was last year.

Bobertchin
01-07-2008, 04:45 PM
I don't think he has Leonard's upside either, personally, but I see the comparison. Both are utility players. I don't think Hester goes above the 6th, but the Combine could change that. From what I've seen he does a lot of things well, but nothing great. He won't be considered that big in the NFL, so that bouncing around is less likely to happen. He doesn't have great NFL speed either. Still, he is a great guy to have on a team, if the right one drafts him.

nhlkdog411
01-07-2008, 05:15 PM
hester got timed as low as the high 4.4s (4.49 i think) at a nike combine while he was in high school i believe so i really think he is gonna surprise people with his speed at the combine. he has also had some long plays/runs this year where he showed what appeared to be good speed and this is more impressive since almost all of his carries were up the middle since lsu has other guys to run outside more ie trindon holliday or keiland williams. the guys on the team also talk about him being damn fast as well.

terribletowel39
01-07-2008, 05:24 PM
i'm gonna go out on a limb and say, Hester>Leonard. only because Hester will be running just as hard on the 60th carry in a game if he was asked to carry the rock that many times. he doesn't tire and just gets stronger every carry it seems. he has amazing heart which suprises me because he comes from a HS that used to be atleast full of douche rockets.

he also will suprise some with his speed.

jared
02-08-2008, 11:55 AM
An enjoyable article on why Jacob Hester should be a tailback:
http://saturdaysoundoffs.blogspot.com/2008/02/case-for-jacob-hester.html

Some notable points:

-"One of the things that constantly amazes me about the perception regarding Hester is the inability of the so called “experts” to even consider his attributes as a runner. I mean, here is a guy who ran for more than 1100 yards on 4.9 yards per carry in a conference which has been all but unanimously crowned the most difficult in the country, gaining yards not out of gimmicky spread offense (and I say that with the utmost respect and understanding), but a no-BS we’re-gonna-line-it-up-and-run formation."

-"Another widely accepted claim about Hester is that he lacks the ‘athleticism’ to make it on the next level. Once again, never mind that the very definition of athleticism is self fulfilling- that is to say being athletic in the true sense of the word just means you’re good at athletics- but even if we are to take this view into account we’d find Hester more than “athletic” enough to play in the NFL. How do I know this? Well because the NFL, for all its credentials, is not major college football, and does not rely on the same offensive principles that we increasingly highlight in the college game. There are no read-based spread option offenses in the NFL, and despite the frequency of three and four wide sets the game is far less horizontal than it’s become in college. Translation? Running becomes more of a downhill practice, an exercise in vision, a quick first step, and explosion. In a league where the disparity between offensive and defensive “talent” is not as great as it is in major college football, there is still value placed on getting a consistent four yards a pop up the middle, and anyone who tells you otherwise has a mistaken understanding of the game."

jasonatchley
02-08-2008, 02:13 PM
i think he could become a john riggins type player. i think he has the speed to break off long runs and he has the size and toughness to pound it up the middle. i think he could be a very productive runner in the NFL. i think his game translates well to the NFL

NMUBurner22
02-08-2008, 02:30 PM
I think Hester is the PERFECT player for the NFL...moderate speed....good size and stregnth....tough durable..has heart...hard nosed runner..gets tough yrads..doesnt fumble..catches passes..blocks...what more could you ask for???

Rich Jr
02-08-2008, 02:38 PM
I think Hester is the PERFECT player for the NFL...moderate speed....good size and stregnth....tough durable..has heart...hard nosed runner..gets tough yrads..doesnt fumble..catches passes..blocks...what more could you ask for???4.3 speed. Cuts on a dime. Great balance, great field vision. Break away speed.

I mean the fact that he does everything well and nothing great means nothing. Not that the fact that he's just like Kevin Faulk and he has 3 rings means nothing.

BuddyCHRIST
02-08-2008, 02:40 PM
I actually think he's a little underrated. He'll never be a star and will always be a HB/FB tweener but he can do everything and is the kind of guy who can find a place on any team. Alot of picks don't even make the team much less be a consistent player. I'd take him with a 4th. He's very low risk with pretty decent reward.

jared
02-08-2008, 02:55 PM
I agree more or less with the last 4 posts. I just think Hester has proved himself to be a capable runner and that's where he should play in the NFL. There's a definitely a few guys I would take before him like Stewart and Mendenhall for example but the way Hester is being listed as a FB everywhere is just silly. That would be grossly underutilizing a talented back.

jared
02-08-2008, 02:58 PM
[QUOTE=Rich Jr;885055]4.3 speed. Cuts on a dime. Great balance, great field vision. Break away speed.
QUOTE]

Keep in mind there aren't many guys who can put all those traits together. Nobody's saying Hester's the top back in the draft, just that he should be a tailback.

NMUBurner22
02-08-2008, 02:59 PM
4.3 speed. Cuts on a dime. Great balance, great field vision. Break away speed.

I mean the fact that he does everything well and nothing great means nothing. Not that the fact that he's just like Kevin Faulk and he has 3 rings means nothing.

How many RB's in the NFL run 4.3????

Parker
Bush
Peterson
Bennett

Thats all I can think of.

NMUBurner22
02-08-2008, 03:00 PM
I agree more or less with the last 4 posts. I just think Hester has proved himself to be a capable runner and that's where he should play in the NFL. There's a definitely a few guys I would take before him like Stewart and Mendenhall for example but the way Hester is being listed as a FB everywhere is just silly. That would be grossly underutilizing a talented back.

Hes a complete football player...and a leader....No one in here can say he WOULDNT be an asset to any team.

Rich Jr
02-08-2008, 03:02 PM
He's a RB. How anyone can have him as a FB is beyond me. He was the starting RB for LSU the last 2 years.

Rich Jr
02-08-2008, 03:04 PM

Parker
Bush
Peterson
Bennett

Thats all I can think of.Portis did. IDK about now. I was just making a point about how speed is pretty much overrated compared to being a football player. Give me a football player over an athlete any day.

Finding a football player who is an athlete is rare.

NMUBurner22
02-08-2008, 03:06 PM
He's a RB. How anyone can have him as a FB is beyond me. He was the starting RB for LSU the last 2 years.

hell look at the people he started over:::

Murphy
Vincent
Holliday
Scott
Broussard

Rich Jr
02-08-2008, 04:09 PM
hell look at the people he started over:::

Murphy
Vincent
Holliday
Scott
Broussard

Yeah.

Broussard-Holds the single game rushing record. Over 250 yards.

Vincent-Eh..

Holiday-A Change of pace back if anything.

Murphy-The most pure back we have.

Williams-The most talented back we have.

Scott-The most complete back we have.

constant cough
02-08-2008, 04:38 PM

Parker
Bush
Peterson
Bennett

Thats all I can think of.

Joseph Addai

no love
02-08-2008, 05:53 PM
Hes a complete football player...and a leader....No one in here can say he WOULDNT be an asset to any team.

Well you got part of that right. He IS a football player. But he is far from complete. In the pros you won't see him break runs to the outside very often - complete backs do that, he doesn't have a great burst. I think he is a situational player not a complete player. A team will find a role for him because he is the kind of guy who is willing to play special teams and do dirty work.

He will definitely be a leader... on special teams.

Not a first day pick. But he will get picked in the early 4th round I think.

jnew76
02-09-2008, 12:15 AM
Hester, IMO has a couple of routes he can go. He can be a backup RB that plays on every special teams unit and contributes very successfully to the team and has a nice NFL career... Or he can be an H-Back/3rd down pass catcher/protector/Lead Blocker/change of pace/short yardage back...

To do the latter he needs to be drafted by the right team in the right scheme. The team that drafts Hester will need to have a plan to utilize him in both 1 and 2 back sets and have plays that feature his skills as an all around weapon.

there might not be a team that sees him as capable pf filling that role, but I do know this...

Once he is in training camp he will be a tough SOB to cut. I think he could go anywhere from 3-7th round.

Thunder&Lightning
02-10-2008, 03:23 PM
he will make it in the nfl never will be a feature back. Come in for short yardage situations thats it. Cant be stopped in short yardage. Might convert to FB as the years go on... But i see him as a RB now.

DanteXavier
02-10-2008, 07:20 PM
Well, in all fairness, Jamal Lewis is sort of similar in some ways. He's a bruising runner, but he isn't particularly fast(ran a 4.58 out of college).

Hester could be used in the sort of way Lewis has been.

Staubach12
02-11-2008, 10:28 PM
I think Hester could significantly contribute to any teams' rushing attack. Honestly, who wouldn't want this guy on there team? He's just an all out damn good football player. He's got OK speed, and average agility, but he's incredibly bruising and never gives up. Not quite as fierce, but he reminds me of Marion Barber. Not to mention he's a great leader, a good special teams player, a great blocker, one hell of a receiver, and he played against stiff competition. He's going to be a very good player for somebody.

YAYareaRB
02-11-2008, 11:04 PM
In a time where this is missing in most players, Hester is a TEAM PLAYER! He's all for the team and team's success. He'll lay his life down for the team without even thinking about it. Truly an asset to have in the locker room, starter or not.

YAYareaRB
02-11-2008, 11:05 PM
In a time where this is missing in most players, Hester is a TEAM PLAYER! He's all for the team and team's success. He'll lay his life down for the team without even thinking about it. Truly an asset to have in the locker room, starter or not.

Brent
02-12-2008, 10:53 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if the Niners drafted him.

jared
02-12-2008, 11:06 AM
Hester can be a special teams gunner for my squad... we could find a spot for him out there. As far as runningback / fullback, all he did for LSU was run straight and lower his head.. not gonna work in the NFL. Blocking? Not nearly big enough. I'd take him in the 7th.

All he did was get first downs when everybody on the field knew he was going to get the ball. Since when is getting tough yards between the tackles considered a useless trait in the NFL? Hester ran the plays he was given, which were predominantly between the tackles. Doesn't mean he's incapable of running different plays. At least half of all run plays in the NFL are between the tackles anyway.

terribletowel39
02-12-2008, 11:29 AM
That "all he did was get first downs" method didn't work too well against Kentucky, did it? LSU is a fool for starting Hester over Keiland Williams. With Keiland, they could have gone undefeated with a great passing game and a gamebreaking running threat (See virginia tech game). But instead they went with politics and started the senior just to be nice. Hester is the reason they weren't undefeated.
log off, take a breath, realize how unintelligent you sound, come back, apologize.

jared
02-12-2008, 11:34 AM
That "all he did was get first downs" method didn't work too well against Kentucky, did it? LSU is a fool for starting Hester over Keiland Williams. With Keiland, they could have gone undefeated with a great passing game and a gamebreaking running threat (See virginia tech game). But instead they went with politics and started the senior just to be nice. Hester is the reason they weren't undefeated.
Hester didn't get the 4th down carry in OT, Charles Scott did. LSU lost that game because of dumb penalties, and bad QB play from Flynn and solid defense from Kentucky. Their rushing attack was not the problem. Hester had 126 rushing yards and 2 TD's in the Arkansas game! What the hell are you talking about? Did you even watch the Kentucky and Arkansas games? LSU had the 2nd best rushing attack in the SEC and the 11th best in Div 1A. They must have been doing something right.

energizerbunny
02-12-2008, 11:58 AM
Well, in all fairness, Jamal Lewis is sort of similar in some ways. He's a bruising runner, but he isn't particularly fast(ran a 4.58 out of college).

Hester could be used in the sort of way Lewis has been.

you must be thinking of another Jamal Lewis because the one out of Tennessee was a very,very fast and explosive back and was a mid-low 4.4 guy, actaully he is very similar to Jonathan Stewart.

IMO Hester will have to be drafted as a RB because I can't see anyone drafting him as a Fullback over Hillis and Schmidt... and when it comes to being an h-back he probably isn't in the top 5.

He can play in the NFL, but it will have to be covering kicks and contributing as a 3rd string rb when he gets the oppurtunity. Much better Runningbacks then him go undrafted each year and he will have to blow people away with his intagibles and have people fall in love with him to be drafted.

Gi-15
02-12-2008, 03:33 PM
Hester didn't get the 4th down carry in OT, Charles Scott did. LSU lost that game because of dumb penalties, and bad QB play from Flynn and solid defense from Kentucky. Their rushing attack was not the problem. Hester had 126 rushing yards and 2 TD's in the Arkansas game! What the hell are you talking about? Did you even watch the Kentucky and Arkansas games? LSU had the 2nd best rushing attack in the SEC and the 11th best in Div 1A. They must have been doing something right.

plus, Hester hurt his quad at the beginning of the kentucky game, that's why he was less effective and not on that 4th down carry.

For what? He has no use in that offense. None.

Niners are looking for a power complement to Frank Gore, and Nolan seems to like Hester.

Staubach12
02-12-2008, 04:50 PM

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! You've lost a ton of respect just now. Hester was one of the best players on the team. You are proving that you saw little if any of Hester on the field. He was the heart and soul of the team. You're not arguing this well, and the fact is that he's a bruising runner, no way around it.

saintsfan912
02-12-2008, 05:24 PM
Damn dude, 17 posts and already in the red. At least it took me a couple hundred to get that.

Hester is damn good, there is no getting around it dude.

energizerbunny
02-12-2008, 05:26 PM
With LSU's oline they didn't really need a game breaker like Keiland or Charles Scott.... all they needed was someone to follow the blocks and lay the lumber the odd time, the oline really did alot of the work and when your oline is really good the last thing you want is somebody back there carryin the ball who is gonna be dancin in the backfield

For LSU last year Hester was the best option they had at RB

Staubach12
02-12-2008, 10:48 PM
So you'd rather have a bruiser start over a gamebreaker? That's like saying lendale white was a better back in college then reggie bush. He was good, but you don't sit a guy who can take it the distance on any play for someone who can keep the chains moving. He will be forgotten about in the NFL.

The fact that you're comparing Keiland Williams to Reggie Bush is laughable. We all know Williams is talented, but Bush might have been the best RB prospect ever. Anyway, there are a large number of NFL RBs run with that bruising like Hester and have had success in the NFL, even if they don't have the best agility or even speed. Deuce McAllister, for example. A guy that's this good at this many things and plays with as much heart as Hester, it'll be hard for him not to succeed. Anyway, I'm done arguing this. Ignorance is ignorance and arrogance is arrogance. If that's what you believe, then I sure look forward to you seeing him play damn good football in the NFL.

nhlkdog411
02-14-2008, 03:18 PM
i think everyone is underrating hester's speed...id put money on him running low 4.5

Staubach12
02-14-2008, 03:28 PM
Deuce ran in the 4.4 range before injury and a 4.55 ish range after.

Hester would be blessed to run sub 4.6, and if he stubbed his toe he might be at a 4.7. It's one thing to be a bruising back with speed (sub 4.5) and a bruising back thats also slow (Hester).

Oh, and the Williams to Bush comparison was not an invidivual one, it was a situational comparison. Perhaps too complex for you...

Being condescending doesn't work when no one values your opinion.

jared
02-14-2008, 07:13 PM
Deuce ran in the 4.4 range before injury and a 4.55 ish range after.

Hester would be blessed to run sub 4.6, and if he stubbed his toe he might be at a 4.7. It's one thing to be a bruising back with speed (sub 4.5) and a bruising back thats also slow (Hester).

Oh, and the Williams to Bush comparison was not an invidivual one, it was a situational comparison. Perhaps too complex for you...

Ah but Deuce is still productive NOW (after the injury) at whatever his current speed is, wouldn't you say? Certainly more so than the electric, "gamebreaking" Reggie Bush.
You presume to know a lot about Hester's speed. I think it's pretty underrated, players from his own team and others have said that on more than one occasion. What game was that where he ran down that DB who made the INT/fumble recovery? Alabama maybe? He showed some jets on that play.
Have to agree with Staubach on the condescending thing. You had the ignorant audacity to suggest that LSU would be undefeated if Hester were on the bench.

youcandoit1687
02-14-2008, 07:46 PM
Marion Barber ran a 4.49 at the combine and while Barber and Hester have similar attributes, I think Hester has much stronger force in terms of his back and legs but Barber seems to have better balance. What they both have is a knack for getting the distance they need. In all likelihood, neither will ever be feature backs(remember Barber had Laurence Maroney at Minnesota) because they do not have the speed to provide a changeup to the outside but they certainly have their places on teams in the league.

An added bonus about Hester is his outstanding blocking skills. He may not have Kevin Faulk's great receiving abilities but in terms of total package the two LSU Tigers are eerily similar.