PDA

View Full Version : First Round Mock - Other Rounds Coming Soon

rockio42
01-07-2008, 11:32 AM
1. Miami Dolphins - Chris Long, DE – My main reason for this pick is because the 3-4 defense that Parcels wants this team to run Glenn Dorsey will not fit in as well as Long, Long on the other hand fits in perfect at 3-4 end where he played his entire college career.

2. St. Louis Rams - Jake Long, OT – I’m a rams fan and this pick does not sit all that well with me, but I believe it’s the smartest pick because it gives the rams the option of moving him inside to guard if Pace does not retire or get injured or if Pace retire or gets hurt they can just as easily slide him outside.
3. Oakland Raiders - Glenn Dorsey, DT – Even with McFadden still on the board I think the Raiders go with another rare physical prospect in Glenn Dorsey because Sapp is retiring and there will be a new scheme on the defense next year and Dorsey can adapt to most 4-3 schemes, another reason being the Raiders have Domonic Rhodes, Lamont Jordan, and Justin Fargus already at RB.

4. Atlanta Falcons – Darren McFadden, RB – I think this is an obvious pick, but one that still might not pan out, despite that I still give DMC the nod because they need an obvious playmaker and Matt Ryan is not a home-run hitter like DMC.

5. Kansas City Chiefs - Ryan Clady, OT – KC used to have one of the best O-Lines in the league and now it is one of their worst and Ryan Clady is a rare prospect who is coming out early and will fit in very well to the run-blocking scheme that KC is going to use. DT is also a possibility but anyone other than Dorsey is not worth it this high so Clady gets the nod.

6. New York Jets – Vernon Gholston, OLB/DE – The Jets are committed to running a 3-4 and with Rob Ryan maybe coming in to be the Defensive Coordinator Vernon Gholston is a no-brainer to come in and give them at least one worth-while edge rusher.

7. New England Patriots - James Laurinaitis, ILB – The Patriots are getting older at LB and while Gholston would’ve been in consideration he is gone. The other position, DB, could also be addressed but the Patriots love having great athletes in the LB corps and that what they get in Laurinaitis.

8. Baltimore Ravens – Matt Ryan, QB – There are a lot of picks that could be possible but I think the Ravens address the position that has given them problems since they came to Baltimore and outside a veteran free agent the only way the Ravens solve their problem is to get a young QB to bring up properly into their new system.

9. Cincinnati Bengals - Keith Rivers, OLB – The nod with this pick could also go to Sedrick Ellis, but the Bengals at least have mediocre DTs while they virtually have no LBs and this is why Keith Rivers gets the nod to come in and give a spark to a very bad LB corps and very bad defense.

10. New Orleans Saints - Mike Jenkins, CB – This pick is an obvious one, the Saints pass defense was horrible this year and though some could fight LB here, they at least have a good DL while their entire defensive backfield needs to be re-vamped.

11. Buffalo Bills - Malcom Kelly, WR – This is one of the hardest picks to predict, but I think the most logical is to get a big wide receiver to compliment Lee Evans and then move Roscoe Parrish to the slot; he also gives them a threat in the red-zone. Another look is at DB but I think unless they want to spend another high pick on a Safety then they go with Kelly at this spot.

12. Denver Broncos - Sedrick Ellis, DT – This pick could change completely if the young DLs develop over the off-season, but other than LB or OL, this pick makes the most sense as it helps strengthen the Broncos biggest weakness…the run game.

13. Carolina Panthers - Kenny Phillips, S – The Panthers luck out with Phillips failing into their laps, he’s a natural playmaking safety that can help their porous secondary and create turnovers on a defense where they were scarce. OL also gives strong consideration, but with John Fox on the hot seat he needs to draft a player that puts up big plays and numbers.

14. Chicago Bears – Andre Woodson, QB – Neither Brian Griese, Rex Grossman, or Kyle Orton are the answer for this team at quarterback so I think, despite their other areas of weakness, the Bears have to draft a QB who can make plays and Woodson is that kind of QB. It also helps that the bears will have a quarterback or two to help mentor Woodson.

15. Detroit Lions - Jeff Otah, OT – The Lions have been trying to solidify their line for years, and even some of their best options on the line, like Damien Woody, didn’t play as well as usual so the Lions need to get a guy who can come in right away and take over for George Foster on the right side.

16. Arizona Cardinals - Calais Campbell, DE – This pick was another hard one to choose because CB, S, and OL also make sense here, but the Cardinals take Campbell who at 6-8 280 can be a monster as a 3-4 DE and with their edge-rushing problems solved they take a guy who can shore up a questionable 3-4 line.

17. Minnesota Vikings – Derrick Harvey, DE – Most would say that DeSean Jackson would be the pick here, but I think with the emergence of Sidney Rice and there want to run the ball 35+ times in a game the Vikings address there pass-rush problems with a classic rush-end in Derrick Harvey that can get to the quarterback.

18. Houston Texans – Sam Baker, OT – This pick might be a stretch at this point but the bottom line is that the Texans need OL and Sam Baker is a natural left tackle with great footwork and could be a perfect fit for the zone-blocking scheme they use. RB is also a consideration but because Kubiak believe anyone can run in his system and the fact that they have Ron Dayne, Darias Walker, and Ahman Green takes away the possibility of a RB at this point.

19. Philadelphia Eagles – Gosder Cherilus, OT – DB, DE, and WR could also get the nod at this spot but with the Eagles practice of not drafting WRs, the fact that they only have one hole in their defensive backfield, and the fact that they still have a good DE rotation makes Cherilus a good pick because with an aged William Thomas the Eagles need another OT to pair with either Winston Justice or Shawn Andrews.

20. Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Sedrick Ellis, DT – I think this is one of the first value over need picks as Ellis has been thought to go as high as the 9th pick. He also is a great athletic defensive tackle that will fit the Buccaneers cover 2 schemes with his ability to create pressure on his own and will help take blockers off Gaines Adams and Greg White because he draws the double team so often. OT, WR, and CB are also picks that could be considered at this point.

21. Washington Redskins – Malcolm Jenkins, CB – The Redskins have wholes at Safety, whose values aren’t very high at this pick, DE who can easily be taken in the second round, and WR which also has good value in the late rounds. Taking these into consideration, along with the fact that Smoot isn’t what he used to be and Springs is aging; the Redskins opt for another young talented CB to match with Carlos Rogers in the next year or so.

22. Dallas Cowboys – Felix Jones, RB – The Cowboys have two picks in the first round so will probably move around, but if they stay put I believe Jerry Jones goes back to his college for the next RB to pair with Marion Barber. Jones gives the Cowboys a good runner, receiver out of the backfield, and returner. Other options for this pick are DB and 3-4 DE, but I think Jerry Jones and Wade Phillips trust their defense but want to keep a two headed monster in the backfield.

23. Seattle Seahawks – Jonathan Stewart, RB - The Seahawks can go one of three ways with this pick; RB, OL, or TE. I think they go with Jonathan Stewart to replace an aging and ailing Shaun Alexander and give the Seahawks a rushing attack again. TE and OL are two positions that are relatively deep in this draft and can be addressed later in the draft.

24. Pittsburgh Steelers – Frank Okam, DT - The Steelers overall are a solid team but they keep facing creeping problems on their defensive unit; mainly inconsistency at DB, age at ILB, and injuries on the DL. With all this taken into consideration I think the Steelers go for a great athlete in Frank Okam who can play both 4-3 tackle and 3-4 end depending on what Tomlin wants to run next year. As I said DB and ILB are pressing too but both have better value later in the draft.

25. Tennessee Titans – Limas Sweed, WR – This is probably the pick that I will change the most, mainly because the Titans could lose 2 or 3 of their OL in the free agency market. With this taken into consideration I think the Titans still reach to grab a weapon for VY that he is familiar with, much like Bo Scaife, and take Texas WR Limas Sweed.

26. New York Giants – Dan Connor, OLB - The Giants main problems are on the backside of their defense this year which makes me think either DB or OLB. I think CB would be a good pick here but with the good rookie year Ross has I think they take OLB and move Mathias Kiwanuka either back into the DE rotation, keep him where he is and us Connor to replace Mitchell, or move him into Mitchell’s spot and move Connor into Kiwanuka’s spot. Overall Connor gives them a lot of options and overall helps strengthen an already good front 7.

27. San Diego Chargers – Aqib Talib, CB – The conventional wisdom is that the Chargers will move down, and considering this is such a deep draft at the two key positions will they need more depth, OL and DL, I will go with a playmaking CB to be groomed behind Jammer and Florence and then move in opposite Antonio Cromartie. Most Chargers fans will knock me for this one but the bottom line is the Florence and Jammer only combined for three interceptions this year and they need more playmakers in the secondary and Talib is a prototypical big cornerback that the Chargers like to have.

28. Jacksonville Jaguars – Leodis McKelvin, CB – The Jaguars main problems this year have emerged in the secondary where Rashean Mathis is the only consistent contributor, therefore the Jags grab a talented corner who is a big upgrade from Brian Williams and will soon pair with Mathis. OL and WR are other options but with the great running game and signs of talent that the WR corps showed this year neither of these become as pressing as their passing defense.

29. Green Bay Packers – Antione Cason, CB - After two great picks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds the past two years to land Greg Jennings and James Jones the Packers are set at WR and the emergence of Donald Lee has the Packers set at the offensive skill position…for once. This forces me to look at one of the only problems that Packers are facing, which is the fact that the strength of the secondary is all on its two cornerbacks, who are aging, and the fact that the Packers lack a third cornerback to help when teams bring out 3 and 4 WR sets. The help with this the Packers draft a playmaking CB in Antione Cason who is big enough to press at the line and can learn from two of the best in the league. Like a lot of picks, this one will probably be changed as the offseason comes into play and this pick will most likely change as some say Antione Cason isn’t worth a first round pick.

30. San Francisco 49ers – Kentwan Balmer, DE/DT – The 49er’s obviously have a lot of problems on the offensive side of the ball, which ranges from spotty QB play to inconsistent WRs, but with the lack of values at WR at this point and that they still believe in former 1st overall pick Alex Smith persuades them to grab a prototypical 3-4 end in Kentwan Balmer to help replace Bryant Young at end now that he is retiring and strengthen their overall defense.

31. Dallas Cowboys – DeSean Jackson, WR – The Cowboys have needs at OL, DL, and S but another problem is that they have an aging receiving corps with T.O. and Terry Glenn, but Patrick Crayton has a bright future and the Cowboys need a very fast wide receiver who can also double as a returner, which is something they also need. 3-4 DE is another spot that they could address, but after the 49ers grab Kentwan the quality takes a nose dive so they keep a playmaker to help ease the pain is T.O. ever gets hurt or blows up, which there is always a chance he will.

32. New England Patriots - pick forfeited

T-RICH49
01-07-2008, 11:36 AM
Clady is a reach at 5 IMHO even though we do need OL.Ellis would be my preferance

rockio42
01-07-2008, 11:42 AM
I agree with you on that one and maybe the Cheifs try to move down and still take him, but the bottom line is that Clady is a great fit for the ZBS that the Cheifs want to run and the Cheifs need more of an improvement on offense than defense

regoob2
01-07-2008, 11:52 AM
You have Sedrick Ellis going twice. 12th and 20th.

Young Legend
01-07-2008, 12:17 PM
great raider pick..

rockio42
01-07-2008, 12:18 PM
thanks for telling me that, ill be sure i change that for my next update which will be in about a day or two

Jakey
01-07-2008, 12:31 PM
Not a good Steelers pick...Okam is bad value there, and we have bigger needs

bored of education
01-07-2008, 12:33 PM
Not bad with Clady. But to compare the number 2 Tackle to Number 2 Dt tackle, i would say that Sedrick Ellis is closer to Dorsey than Clady is to Long

rockio42
01-07-2008, 12:41 PM
Good points, im actually moving Okam to the Buccaneers, who do you suggest for steeler

and clady will probably change because the cheifs will add OL or DL in the off-season

fenikz
01-07-2008, 12:59 PM
Give is Malcolmn Jenkins

I'm a huge fan of Campbell, but it isn't the biggest need, unless we get a CB in FA it's basically a lock to be our 1st pick, if both Jenkins and Phillips are gone I think we take a hard look at Cason if we don't think he is worthy then Campbell is a good pick, makes our D-Line rotation even deeper and gives us a DE who can start in the 4-3

RDE Dockett / Branch
NT Watson
LDE Smith / Campbell

&

RDE Campbell
UT Dockett
NT Watson
LDE Smith

TitanHope
01-07-2008, 01:23 PM
Limas Sweed over DeSean Jackson would have me screaming. We need speed at WR.

As for us losing OL in FA, thats false. Jacob Bell is the only one who can leave for FA. But, there is a rumor that Benji Olsen is likely to retire. And the only other OL that can leave is Kevin Mawae if he retires too, but I haven't heard anything that suggests that.

Either way, OL is not a 1st RD need. In last night's game, we had 2 backups playing for Mawae and Olsen, and they both played well. Considering how much depth we have and that there is a good chance we re-sign Bell, I think it would be a mistake to draft a Guard in the 1st RD.

Matthew Jones
01-07-2008, 01:27 PM
Standard Patriots pick.

Jakey
01-07-2008, 01:39 PM
Good points, im actually moving Okam to the Buccaneers, who do you suggest for steeler

Biggest needs are; OT/OG/WR/CB/ILB

so...Chris Williams, Phil Loadholt, Duke Robinson, Desean Jackson, James Hardy, Aqib Talib, Antoine Cason, Erin Henderson etc etc...

They would all be solid picks. I hope that helps :)

KRS1
01-07-2008, 02:03 PM
Bad Chargers pick!

jdb1972
01-07-2008, 02:23 PM
13. Carolina Panthers - Kenny Phillips, S – The Panthers luck out with Phillips failing into their laps, he’s a natural playmaking safety that can help their porous secondary and create turnovers on a defense where they were scarce. OL also gives strong consideration, but with John Fox on the hot seat he needs to draft a player that puts up big plays and numbers.
What "porous secondary"?

The Panther secondary was just fine, especially as the year wore on. It was the Panther pass rush that was awful (last in the league in sacks until they rung up 3 on the Bucs' backups the last week). No secondary can consistently cover for 6+ seconds every play.

Patriots16-0
01-07-2008, 02:32 PM
Sedrick Ellis at #20? By the way, I love the Pats pick.

hugegmenfan
01-07-2008, 02:42 PM
bad giants pick. give us antoine cason or aqiib talib

stl9erfan
01-07-2008, 03:01 PM
No way DeSean falls that low, but if he does, no way he gets past the Niners. WR is the No. 1 need, a local product, and he can return kicks and punts too? That selection would be a lock.

Seasonticketholder
01-07-2008, 03:16 PM
I believe the Saints would select Sedrick Ellis, Kenny Phillips or Malcolm Jenkins before Mike Jenkins. Of all of them, I cannot see them passing on Ellis if he is there.

gsorace
01-07-2008, 03:39 PM
You have Ellis going twice.

Anyway, awesome Jets pick

SeanTaylorRIP
01-07-2008, 03:58 PM
I'd love for the Skins to get Malcolm Jenkins, although not sure what you mean by Smoot isn't the same that he used to be. Are you referring to Smoot from 4 years ago or Smoot the past 3 years, cause Smoot the past three years sucked bad but this year was very good. To be honest I think he played better this year especially the last 8 games than at any point in his entire career. He will be a starter for us next year.

Finsfan79
01-07-2008, 04:26 PM
1. Miami Dolphins - Chris Long, DE – My main reason for this pick is because the 3-4 defense that Parcels wants this team to run Glenn Dorsey will not fit in as well as Long, Long on the other hand fits in perfect at 3-4 end where he played his entire college career.

no he doesnt there are plenty of reports he is far too small. Dorsey fits just as well at a DE for the 3-4 as long does perhaps even better because he is A far far better talent

Jake Long is the only long I think we would take

Babylon
01-07-2008, 05:33 PM
I guess you could have a Texas reunion with Sweed going to the Titans but i dont see it, i agree with the post that said they need some speed at that position or more exact they need run after the catch there. As for a deep threat it wouldnt matter because Vince cant or wont throw the ball more than 30 yds.

Dont see Keith Rivers as a 1st round pick either, he was the 3rd best linebacker on his team.

rickscott
01-07-2008, 05:38 PM
I think the Bengals are in more need of a big DT than a LBer. Thornton and Robinson and j.Smith along the D-line are likely gone. We need a stud to team with Peko up front. Our LBing corp was very thin this year due in part to injuries. Depending if they sign Landon Johnson, I think they will still have Brooks, Jeanty, Henderson and Thurman along with Lemar Marshall and Dhanti Jones so it can use help but I still think it has potential

RaiderNation
01-07-2008, 05:46 PM
great oakland pick

Yung Flippa
01-07-2008, 05:48 PM
Okay Ravens pick, but I'd rather have Malcolm Jenkins; Good Texans pick

Caddy
01-07-2008, 05:57 PM
Don't you dare move Okam to the Buccaneers. Ellis is a great pick.

JT Jag
01-07-2008, 06:39 PM
Good Jags pick, bad reasoning. Brian Williams is a solid starter, and Reggie Nelson is an up-and-comer at free safety. But the strong safety position is in flux, with Sammie Knight being just a stand-in.

Plus, we don't really have any nickel corners worth much. Scott Starks has potential, but the coaching staff doesn't like him because he's weak against the run.

So McKelvin could probably step in and be the third corner for the Jags. That's good, in a division has Peyton Manning in it.

Perhaps in a few years he could develop into a starter. That might push Brian Williams to safety, which he can play. Or maybe Williams would be gone by then.

Who knows. Either way, solid selection there.

Bills2083
01-07-2008, 07:38 PM
where is Brohm?

go_ravens94
01-07-2008, 07:48 PM
I'd like Malcolm Jenkins over Ryan, but it's okay.

thebow305
01-08-2008, 01:41 AM

no he doesnt there are plenty of reports he is far too small. Dorsey fits just as well at a DE for the 3-4 as long does perhaps even better because he is A far far better talent

Jake Long is the only long I think we would take

We probably won't take any Longs, just a Gholston. :)

rockio42
01-08-2008, 07:57 AM
Don't you dare move Okam to the Buccaneers. Ellis is a great pick.

Im moving Okam to the Bucs because I have Ellis going twice and he is going to be picked by a number of teams before gthe Bucs, but the Bucs need a inside defender and Okam fits that, this is my first draft so a lot will change

DiG
01-08-2008, 09:40 AM
i would hate to draft jenkins for the skins. a GW cb HAS to be strong in run support and that is the worst part or jenkins game. skins need strong physical fast cbs that are good in man coverage as well as run support. give us Chris Williams. I'd take him over Baker and Gosder.

rockio42
01-08-2008, 11:14 AM
Bad Chargers pick!

who do you suggest?

aNYtitan
01-09-2008, 01:04 AM
Why would the Titans take an slow possession receiver coming off a short season due to injuries? I keep hearing the Texas connection between Vince and Sweed, but I doubt that the coaching staff would care about that. He is definitely not the best WR on the board or even the BPA. Give us DeSean Jackson at that point. Speed, elusiveness and about as much game breaking ability as Vince

G-Men88
01-09-2008, 01:22 AM
bad giants pick. give us antoine cason or aqiib talib

Took the words out of my mouth

BaLLiN
01-09-2008, 09:27 AM
dont like giants pick

litlharsh
01-09-2008, 03:32 PM
ANOTHER 1st round DE? I'd kill someone

Jackson plz god.