PDA

View Full Version : Post Your BCS Playoff System Here

go_ravens94
01-07-2008, 07:44 PM
Here's mine:

Click to make larger

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/9365/bcsplayoffsystemkx6.th.png (http://img201.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bcsplayoffsystemkx6.png)

kwilk103
01-07-2008, 07:49 PM
8 teams---6 bcs conf winners; 2 wildcards

osu, lsu, vt, wvu, usc, ou---conf winners

uga---wildcard
uh/mizzou---wildcard; prob uh even though it should be mizzou; makes mid-majors happy

quarters---higher seed gets homefield

semis and champ----neutral sites

badgerbacker
01-07-2008, 08:31 PM
Here's mine:

Click to make larger

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/9365/bcsplayoffsystemkx6.th.png (http://img201.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bcsplayoffsystemkx6.png)

No offense to you at all, but a would absolutely hate that system. What is so great about college football, in my opinion, is how huge every regular season game is. (In most years) if you lose one game, boom, you're out of the national championship picture. It puts so much pressure on every game and that's what makes it fun to watch and makes upsets that much larger.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
01-07-2008, 11:18 PM
Well I've heard that the Rose Bowl, Big 10 and Pac 10 are really the biggest roadblocks for a playoff. What I'd do if I ran college football, is grow a pair and tell them they can have their Rose Bowl. I'll have a 4 or 8 team playoff, and just tell them that while one of them will win the rose bowl, no Big 10 or Pac 10 team will be named BCS National Champion. That would get that roadblock sorted out quickly.

diabsoule
01-08-2008, 01:13 AM
As far as I've read the ACC, Big East, Big 12, and SEC have all agreed that they would love a +1 system. So meaning all four would like to see a playoff. The biggest obstacles are the Pac 10 and Big 10.

I think the biggest roadblocks in considering a national title via a playoff system are that both conferences that are opposed to a playoff system also do not seem like they want a conference championship. Obviously the Big East needs to add 4 teams, which I think they could do easily. A playoff system would favor everybody. It would increase revenue, increase publicity, and increase recruiting. It is a win/lose situation with everything to gain and nothing to lose.

Iamcanadian
01-08-2008, 09:53 AM
As far as I've read the ACC, Big East, Big 12, and SEC have all agreed that they would love a +1 system. So meaning all four would like to see a playoff. The biggest obstacles are the Pac 10 and Big 10.

I think the biggest roadblocks in considering a national title via a playoff system are that both conferences that are opposed to a playoff system also do not seem like they want a conference championship. Obviously the Big East needs to add 4 teams, which I think they could do easily. A playoff system would favor everybody. It would increase revenue, increase publicity, and increase recruiting. It is a win/lose situation with everything to gain and nothing to lose.

That's a bit naive. If you remove the Bowl system, half the Div1 schools would have to give up football altogether. The bigger conferences would have to agree to revenue sharing to make it happen and there is no way in h-ll that they will agree to that.
It is also a bit naive to think only 2 conferences oppose a playoff system, there is not one conference on record as supporting it. You'll see the odd HC who supports it but the conferences all oppose it.
For one thing to make a playoff possible, the colleges would all have to agree to cut their schedules back 2 or 3 games otherwise the graduation rates would take a steep nosedive as there is only so much you can ask from a student athlete. You could also expect a pretty steep rise in injuries as you expand the season unless you cut back on games. These could all lead to lawsuits which the colleges want nothing to do with.
If you add 2 or 3 games to the schedule with the resulting increase in injuries, the pros would probably take another look at eligibilty rules, probably reducing draft eligibility to sophmores as it is in basketball, diluting the college game to the point where there are few star players which could result in a steep decline in TV revenues not an increase as happened in basketball before the pros forced high school players to go to college for at least 1 year.
The reason the colleges haven't jumped on the playoff bandwagon is rather simple. The risks far outway the gains in what has become a multi million dollar industry. The college presidents understand clearly that any miscalculation in swithing from the Bowl system could result in a great many schools having to give up the sport and the numerous lawsuits that would follow. It could very easily destroy college football as we know it.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
01-08-2008, 02:44 PM
you don't need to get rid of the bowls. Just take the top 4 teams. Or maybe, take the top 6(BCS conference winners), get rid of independents, have a playoff for the top 6(with the top 2 seeds getting byes) and voila. Let everyone else have their bowl games, add 2 maybe 3 games for the national champion. Which isn't a big deal at all. Just shorten the huge break between the end of the regular season and the start of the bowl season. Basketball takes much longer, and they manage to do it.

diabsoule
01-08-2008, 03:51 PM
That's a bit naive. If you remove the Bowl system, half the Div1 schools would have to give up football altogether. The bigger conferences would have to agree to revenue sharing to make it happen and there is no way in h-ll that they will agree to that.
It is also a bit naive to think only 2 conferences oppose a playoff system, there is not one conference on record as supporting it. You'll see the odd HC who supports it but the conferences all oppose it.
For one thing to make a playoff possible, the colleges would all have to agree to cut their schedules back 2 or 3 games otherwise the graduation rates would take a steep nosedive as there is only so much you can ask from a student athlete. You could also expect a pretty steep rise in injuries as you expand the season unless you cut back on games. These could all lead to lawsuits which the colleges want nothing to do with.
If you add 2 or 3 games to the schedule with the resulting increase in injuries, the pros would probably take another look at eligibilty rules, probably reducing draft eligibility to sophmores as it is in basketball, diluting the college game to the point where there are few star players which could result in a steep decline in TV revenues not an increase as happened in basketball before the pros forced high school players to go to college for at least 1 year.
The reason the colleges haven't jumped on the playoff bandwagon is rather simple. The risks far outway the gains in what has become a multi million dollar industry. The college presidents understand clearly that any miscalculation in swithing from the Bowl system could result in a great many schools having to give up the sport and the numerous lawsuits that would follow. It could very easily destroy college football as we know it.

It is not naive to think that. ESPN had an article up a few days (I'm too lazy to look for it right now) that said that officials from the SEC, ACC, Big XII, and Big East are discussing the possibility of creating a +1 system. The article also said that the Pac 10 and Big 10 officials are the ones who remain very adamant about not creating a +1 system.

You do not have to get rid of the bowl system all together. That would be a ludicrous idea. You could take the four BCS bowls (five if the Cotton Bowl gets admitted) and just play the playoffs in those bowls. The other 27 bowl games could and should still be played.

Most teams in Division I-AA play eight conference games which is the same amount as Division I teams. Appalachian State, winner of the last Division I-AA playoffs, has played 15 games in each of those years, which is more than any Division I school. Four of those 15 games are playoff games while the other 11 games are regular season affairs. If Division I would scale back the number of regular season games from 12 to 11 and institute a playoff it would work itself out.

Here's a very informative article from the WashingtonPost.com that states that academics is not an issue.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/01/06/AR2008010602034.html

Revenue sharing should not be a problem either considering that each college has to share its revenue with the rest of the teams in the conference for their bowl appearance. I think the main reason Division I does not want a playoff system is because it would break with tradition, which is something that every conference in Division I, is hesitant to do.

Patriots16-0
01-12-2008, 09:26 AM
That's simple: no playoffs. The team who ends at #1 takes it all.

BigJohn98
01-12-2008, 09:37 AM
That's simple: no playoffs. The team who ends at #1 takes it all.

That is the dumbest idea I've ever read.

Patriots16-0
01-12-2008, 09:41 AM
That is the dumbest idea I've ever read.

Yeah, that's not my day. :)