PDA

View Full Version : K. Phillips

stretch14
01-07-2008, 08:30 PM
Basic question here. Supposing he has a great combine which I am willing to bet he will I see him running faster than what Landry did last year. What range do you see him going in the draft and what teams do you think go after him? Also where does he rank as a prospect from the Saftey position over the past 5 years or so?

Thunder&Lightning
01-07-2008, 08:32 PM
1. S. Taylor
2. Reed
3. Huff
4. Landry
5. Phillpis

Travis 24
01-07-2008, 08:33 PM
Reggie Nelson > all

Phillips is ok...I think he disappears far too often, and isn't the difference maker people think..

stretch14
01-07-2008, 08:35 PM
I think your using NFL career also in these rankings because if you really think Reed was number 2 then how come he fell so far in his draft we was drafted in the twenties while every other saftey in that list went top 10

regoob2
01-07-2008, 08:50 PM
1. S. Taylor
2. Reed
3. Huff
4. Landry
5. Phillpis

But "he has the body of Sean Taylor and the speed and awarness of Ed Reed"??????

JK I like Phillips a lot but he is 5th on my list also.

foozball
01-07-2008, 08:57 PM
umm...you do realize landry ran 4.35 at the combine right? i highly doubt he runs faster than that.

Number 10
01-07-2008, 09:17 PM
I have and will get killed for this, but I really don't think he is that good. To be honest, I was more impressed with Quintin Demps this year than Phillips. He'll be a 1st rounder, I just hope it's not the Giants who pick him.

stretch14
01-07-2008, 09:19 PM
He will run low 4.3s. Read an article about him leading up into this season he was running high 4.2s. Will try to find article and post.

GET LOOSE
01-07-2008, 09:28 PM
not better than landry but still a great player

brat316
01-07-2008, 09:31 PM
Reeds was picked 32 Ravens won superbowl that year.

There is no way to rank the safeties from a prospect way really, prospect you can only include there college numbers, and not count them as NFL players. So there are a handful of safties that can go on that top 5 list, they where considered good great prospects but didn't pan out in the NFL.

Why not put Troy P. on that list

Yung Flippa
01-07-2008, 09:35 PM
Reed wasn't picked 32nd after the Superbowl, that was Todd Heap, actually Todd was 31st, there were no Houston Texans in 2000. Ed Reed was picked 24th in 2002
http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?season=2002&round=round1

draftguru151
01-07-2008, 09:41 PM
I don't think Phillips will run anything better than 4.45. He was timed in the 4.5s in spring.

dRaFtDoRk
01-07-2008, 09:42 PM
Phillips upside could be the highest in the draft. He has all the physical tools, but is lacking some great positional skills.

I think his workouts will be well and he'll end up being a Top 10 pick by April.

Here's my rankings of the safeties of recent years:

1. Sean Taylor
2. Ed Reed
3. Kenny Phillips
4. LaRon Landry
5. Michael Huff
6. Reggie Nelson

Travis 24
01-07-2008, 09:43 PM
1. Taylor
2. Nelson
3. Polamalu
4. Huff
5. Landry

Thats how I would rank the top 5 safety prospects of the last few years or so...in all honesty..

GET LOOSE
01-07-2008, 09:48 PM
1. Taylor
2. Nelson
3. Polamalu
4. Huff
5. Landry

Thats how I would rank the top 5 safety prospects of the last few years or so...in all honesty..

im surprised you put nelson ahead of landry

Number 10
01-07-2008, 09:50 PM
I don't think Phillips will run anything better than 4.45. He was timed in the 4.5s in spring.

What are his agility numbers like?

Canadian_draft_fan
01-07-2008, 09:54 PM
im surprised you put nelson ahead of landry
So am I. Why do you think Nelson was/is a better prospect than Landry?

foozball
01-07-2008, 10:11 PM
yea i dont think phillips will run low 4.3's considering he was running 4.43 in highschool

diabsoule
01-08-2008, 01:17 AM
I have not seen anything out of Phillips that has impressed me this year. I do not think that he will impress enough at the combine to be counted on to be a top 10 pick. He reminds me a lot of Brandon Meriweather.

Geo
01-08-2008, 01:22 AM
LOL, run a faster 40 than Landry.

brat316
01-08-2008, 01:32 AM
who knows maybe he is off doing NIKE sparq drills like Landry did to pull that 4.35

eliteeagle
01-08-2008, 01:36 AM
...no roy williams in the top safety prospect lists?

stretch14
01-08-2008, 01:48 PM
yea i dont think phillips will run low 4.3's considering he was running 4.43 in highschool

Ya and the fact that all scouts thought Landry would run a 4.45 the days leading up to the Combine turned out to be true also. It's all about training leading up to Combine. Thats the reason why all the top prospects go to these speed camps.

Play Hard
01-08-2008, 01:53 PM
I was never really impressed with him. He tackles to high and I am really not impressed with him at all in the NFL

foozball
01-08-2008, 03:54 PM
Ya and the fact that all scouts thought Landry would run a 4.45 the days leading up to the Combine turned out to be true also. It's all about training leading up to Combine. Thats the reason why all the top prospects go to these speed camps.

still waiting on that story of him running 4.2's...

etk
01-08-2008, 05:12 PM
Reggie Nelson > all

Phillips is ok...I think he disappears far too often, and isn't the difference maker people think..

LOL. You just make yourself sound more and more ridiculous every time you post. Reggie Nelson is overrated trash. Landry is better in coverage, better in run support, better athlete and better instincts.

Phillips is just ok. Explain to me which safety is better in this class and why. He never disappears, he's consistently among our team leaders in tackles and he's always stout in coverage. He's the most consistent defender I've ever seen for Miami, but he's not really a big play guy. Just a sure tackler and has good position in coverage.

He won't run faster than Landry. Speed's not really Kenny's best attribute, but he has good overall athleticism. I think he'll run a high 4.4.

To the guy who said he tackles too high, I've never seen such an ignorant comment. He's a low-wrap tackler, and he's very good at it. He doesn't go for the big hit very often, but he takes guys down from their legs.

LOL. Every time there's a thread about a Miami player, no matter how good they are, everyone says how overrated they are. We saw it last year with Brandon Meriweather, and he was a top 25 pick. Most of the board insisted that Zach Miller was better than Greg Olsen, and then Olsen tore up the combine and everyone loved him. This year Calais Campbell and Kenny Phillips are 2 of the most hated prospects from what I've seen, even though they get continuous praise as some of the best to come from the U, America's leading Pro Factory. *shrug* You'll all learn your lessons again.

Oh, and to answer the question, he's not the kind of dynamic athlete or playmaker to be ranked ahead of Sean Taylor, LaRon Landry and others, but he'll be a great pro and among the tops at the position.

BamaFalcon59
01-08-2008, 05:40 PM
I was never really impressed with him. He tackles to high and I am really not impressed with him at all in the NFL

How does NFL performance have to do with the prospect out of college?

toonsterwu
01-08-2008, 06:57 PM
Even if Phillips hits a top time, I don't see him getting drafted as high as Landry, even in a weaker top of the draft. I think people have enough questions about him that he'd probably slide a bit to the teens.

Primetime21
01-08-2008, 07:00 PM
Even if Phillips hits a top time, I don't see him getting drafted as high as Landry, even in a weaker top of the draft. I think people have enough questions about him that he'd probably slide a bit to the teens.

I feel S always fall in drafts. Landry/Whitner are really the only S that I havent seen drop from where most experts expected them to go.

toonsterwu
01-08-2008, 07:02 PM
I think the way the passing games have evolved, and summarily, the necessity for more versatile safeties has helped us see a lot of safeties go higher in recent years than they would've in the past. All that said, I think there's enough questions about Phillips consistency and effort. I can see him top out in that 8-10 range, with a bottom end probably in that 18-20 range.

Thread Killer
01-08-2008, 08:07 PM
If Missouri S William Moore comes out he might be the #1 safety in the draft, IMO.

etk
01-08-2008, 09:54 PM
I think Moore is overrated. Nic Harris has the potential to blow up the combine and jump ahead of Phillips.

Rich Jr
01-19-2008, 12:14 AM
As a Saints fan we need a lot of help. Being at #10 we have a lot of options and I think that Phillips is arguably the BPA. Now, when I show my support for him the first thing people say is "he can't hit like Sean Taylor" but when Josh Bullocks is your FS you just want a guy that can cover. Roy Williams already proved how hitting hard is overrated.

I guess what i'm getting at is, is Phillips worth the #10 overall pick?

d34ng3l021
01-19-2008, 12:22 AM
I actually think the opposite of whoever thought that Phillips has the highest upside of any safety of this draft. I think he has the highest floor.

He does everything well, nothing exceptional. Solid tackler, doesnt miss too may tackles. Good in coverage.

Nothing outstanding like Landry's hits, or Sean Taylor's athleticism, or Reed's instincts.

And heres how I would rate the past few safety prospects.

1. Sean Taylor
2. Laron Landry
3. Ed Reed

no one else is coming to mind right now.

The Legend
01-19-2008, 12:25 AM
i disagree i think Phillips will run a 4.38-4.42, dont see the guy running a 4.35

MetSox17
01-19-2008, 02:26 PM
As a Saints fan we need a lot of help. Being at #10 we have a lot of options and I think that Phillips is arguably the BPA. Now, when I show my support for him the first thing people say is "he can't hit like Sean Taylor" but when Josh Bullocks is your FS you just want a guy that can cover. Roy Williams already proved how hitting hard is overrated.

I guess what i'm getting at is, is Phillips worth the #10 overall pick?

how did roy williams do that? His first three years in the ligg he was unstoppable, just ask emmitt, alexander, and everyone else he blasted. he was solid in coverage, he had 5 picks his rookie year. Like the tuna once said, "he's two biscuits away from being a linebacker".. well over the past two+ years he's had at least a dozen biscuits. He's over-aggressive now and misses a lot of open field tackles, not to mention how he regressed in his coverage skills. But coming out of school and his first few years he was as good as anyone. And i think Ed Reed gets a lot more credit than he deserves. He has reaped the benefits of playing with such a great defense over the past years that all he has to do is sit back and play center field without having to worry about covering man to man. He's a really good player, but i think Troy Polamalu is better

Crazy_Chris
01-19-2008, 02:55 PM
I think the way the passing games have evolved, and summarily, the necessity for more versatile safeties has helped us see a lot of safeties go higher in recent years than they would've in the past. All that said, I think there's enough questions about Phillips consistency and effort. I can see him top out in that 8-10 range, with a bottom end probably in that 18-20 range.

I hope your right Toonster. I hope Kenny Phillips drops right into the Vikings lap at #17.

BallerT1215
01-19-2008, 07:22 PM
Please tell me how some of you have Huff over Whitner on some of those lists?

BamaFalcon59
01-19-2008, 07:36 PM
Let me guess- Huff has done nothing in the NFL.

Not worth explaining.

d34ng3l021
01-20-2008, 03:45 PM
Eh. I dont think stats justify how important Huff is to Oakland's secondary. Raiders for the past 2 years have had a great passing defense, and to be a starting safety on that defense isnt terrible. And he does an amazing job covering TEs which doesnt show up on stat sheets. He just hasnt become the playmaker that everyone has expected him to become. Wouldnt call him a complete bust.

MetSox17
01-20-2008, 06:48 PM
Let me guess- Huff has done nothing in the NFL.

Not worth explaining.

when you compare his stats against those of whitner, yeah he looks like a bust, but he's a very good tackler and good in coverage. i think he would be better suited playing free safety instead of the strong side... i think his skills would show better there

draftguru151
01-20-2008, 06:51 PM
I believe bama was trying to say how it is completely irrelevant what Huff has done in the NFL.

keylime_5
01-20-2008, 07:20 PM
Regarding top safety PROSPECTS of the past few years, sure Roy Wiliams and Sean Taylor were big time top 10 picks who were certainly regarding as among the top 5 or top 10 guys in their classes, but I think people forget about Ed Reed and the fact that he was the 24th or 25th overall pick by the Ravens when he was drafted. In a very loaded draft Mike Huff and Donte Whitner were top 10 picks. So does that mean they were better prospects coming out than Reed? It's debatable b/c it was two different drafts, but going top 10 and going top 25 are two completely different things no matter what year it was. And as far as LaRon Landry goes, if he was in the same draft as Huff and Whitner, I think he would've been the 3rd safety taken. It's very close between the 3, but I think it would've went 1-Huff, 2-Whitner, and 3-Landry. Landry was in a draft that had elite prospects in Russell, Thomas, Peterson, and Johnson, and then there was a huge dropoff after those 4.

keylime_5
01-20-2008, 07:22 PM
...that said I don't think Phillips was as good a PROSPECT as Landry, Whitner, Huff, or Taylor...but that he is probably right about where Reed is as a guy coming out of college, maybe a little less. But this year's draft is deep but not very heavy in first round guys, so I think Phillips will go higher than Reed went, probably somewhere between picks 10 and 18.

MetSox17
01-20-2008, 07:29 PM
Regarding top safety PROSPECTS of the past few years, sure Roy Wiliams and Sean Taylor were big time top 10 picks who were certainly regarding as among the top 5 or top 10 guys in their classes, but I think people forget about Ed Reed and the fact that he was the 24th or 25th overall pick by the Ravens when he was drafted. In a very loaded draft Mike Huff and Donte Whitner were top 10 picks. So does that mean they were better prospects coming out than Reed? It's debatable b/c it was two different drafts, but going top 10 and going top 25 are two completely different things no matter what year it was. And as far as LaRon Landry goes, if he was in the same draft as Huff and Whitner, I think he would've been the 3rd safety taken. It's very close between the 3, but I think it would've went 1-Huff, 2-Whitner, and 3-Landry. Landry was in a draft that had elite prospects in Russell, Thomas, Peterson, and Johnson, and then there was a huge dropoff after those 4.

what i dont understand is how everyone argued that landry was as good a prospect as any as a safety coming out of college, yet now compared as a prospect to others, he was average? Compared to huff and whitner, in their last years as college players, what exactly would people say they were better at than landry?

urinemonkey
01-20-2008, 08:46 PM
Landry was a better prospect than both Huff and Whitner and would have been drafted as such if they were all in the same draft.

Flyboy
01-20-2008, 09:07 PM
LOL. You just make yourself sound more and more ridiculous every time you post. Reggie Nelson is overrated trash. Landry is better in coverage, better in run support, better athlete and better instincts.

Phillips is just ok. Explain to me which safety is better in this class and why. He never disappears, he's consistently among our team leaders in tackles and he's always stout in coverage. He's the most consistent defender I've ever seen for Miami, but he's not really a big play guy. Just a sure tackler and has good position in coverage.

He won't run faster than Landry. Speed's not really Kenny's best attribute, but he has good overall athleticism. I think he'll run a high 4.4.

To the guy who said he tackles too high, I've never seen such an ignorant comment. He's a low-wrap tackler, and he's very good at it. He doesn't go for the big hit very often, but he takes guys down from their legs.

LOL. Every time there's a thread about a Miami player, no matter how good they are, everyone says how overrated they are. We saw it last year with Brandon Meriweather, and he was a top 25 pick. Most of the board insisted that Zach Miller was better than Greg Olsen, and then Olsen tore up the combine and everyone loved him. This year Calais Campbell and Kenny Phillips are 2 of the most hated prospects from what I've seen, even though they get continuous praise as some of the best to come from the U, America's leading Pro Factory. *shrug* You'll all learn your lessons again.

Oh, and to answer the question, he's not the kind of dynamic athlete or playmaker to be ranked ahead of Sean Taylor, LaRon Landry and others, but he'll be a great pro and among the tops at the position.

That's it. You sold me. I'll take him at 10.

etk
01-20-2008, 09:23 PM
That's it. You sold me. I'll take him at 10.

I'm not even sold on Phillips to NO. I think they would be better served drafting a LB or trading up for Ellis/Dorsey, but Phillips wouldn't be a bad pick regardless.

After re-reading my post, I realized I made a stupid error that no one pointed out to me. I meant Phillips is the most consistent defensive back in recent Miami history, not the most consistent overall defender. There's a handful of former LBs that win in that department.

Flyboy
01-20-2008, 09:31 PM
The only defensive players I want at 10 is Ellis/Dorsey/Rivers/Long/Gholston/Phillips. However, if all those players are off the board except for Phillips and it's between say him or DeSean Jackson/Jake Long (unlikely)/Ryan Clady/Jonathan Stewart? I want the offensive player.

etk
01-20-2008, 09:35 PM
Call me crazy, but I think Dan Connor could provide a lot to their defense. Keith Rivers is strictly a WLB. I guess we'll have to wait for Connor to test out.

Flyboy
01-21-2008, 10:10 AM
Don't get me wrong. I like Connor too - quite a bit, however, I don't feel he's worthy of a #10 selection. Not to mention this draft has some pretty good talent at the LB position in terms of depth.

iloxygenil
01-21-2008, 10:39 AM
I think Kenny Phillips is a lock for the top 10 as the way Safetys have been coming off the board the last few seasons. He's the top rated, and while I think his talent isn't anything superior to what the Saints have, he just happens to be a better balance. He's not a ballhawking Safety like a Reggie Nelson or some of those recent names that come to mind, he's not a monster hitter like a Roy Williams, but the kid is an exceptionally boring prospect because he doesn't do anything that you can ohh and ahh over, but he just plays good football and will be a boost to whatever team he goes to.

(if you haven't been around here, everyone knows I'm a FSU fan, so it's not a Miami bias)

To be perfectly honest, if the Falcons were picking about #8 this year I'd love to get him, even with our gaping need at LT.

Finsfan79
01-21-2008, 07:38 PM
miami guys almost always rise as teh draft comes