PDA

View Full Version : A question for you all...

sweetness34
01-08-2008, 12:50 AM
Let me be the first to say that the Big 10 is down right now. The SEC is best conference in the country and they've proven that against us.

But I just can't get over the fact that this year all 3 Big 10 Teams played their opponents in their own state. Michigan in Florida, Illinois in California, and Ohio State in Louisiana.

Why can't they rotate the Bowls around? The RCA dome, the Metrodome, etc can hold Bowl Games. Every major bowl is played down south, why not rotate it different places to make it more neutral?

I'm not saying Ohio State would beat LSU or Illinois would beat USC if it was moved but it would make it so it's not so much of a home game for the opposing team.

Idk, maybe I'm grasping at straws here but I'd like to see the Bowls moved all around instead of staying in one spot all the time. Just my two cents.

What do you think?

Average OT LB
01-08-2008, 12:53 AM
its a fair point. The best teams won, but yeah it shouldnt be a home game that aint right..

soybean
01-08-2008, 12:55 AM
i think they should have a BCS game up in Big Ten Territory.

iowatreat54
01-08-2008, 01:00 AM
Let me be the first to say that the Big 10 is down right now. The SEC is best conference in the country and they've proven that against us.

But I just can't get over the fact that this year all 3 Big 10 Teams played their opponents in their own state. Michigan in Florida, Illinois in California, and Ohio State in Louisiana.

Why can't they rotate the Bowls around? The RCA dome, the Metrodome, etc can hold Bowl Games. Every major bowl is played down south, why not rotate it different places to make it more neutral?

I'm not saying Ohio State would beat LSU or Illinois would beat USC if it was moved but it would make it so it's not so much of a home game for the opposing team.

Idk, maybe I'm grasping at straws here but I'd like to see the Bowls moved all around instead of staying in one spot all the time. Just my two cents.

What do you think?

the main reason I think is weather...obviously that does not count when talking about domes further north, but most bowl games (Rose Bowl, Fiesta Bowl, Orange Bowl, etc.) have already established themselves with tradition at certain stadiums so why would they want to rotate? Unless they plan on creating even more bowls/moving smaller bowls to northern domes or play in cold weather and make them somewhat relevant to the bowl picture (not random like the International Bowl or POS Motor City Bowl), then there really isn't a way to integrate more northern games into the bowl picture

that said, if a playoff took place then this all would be an irrelevant argument, but I agree with teams playing essential home games in their bowl, especially when its a BCS bowl or even the NC is pretty unfair and they should make some sort of rule should a team like LSU make the NC when it's supposed to be held in New Orleans

Forenci
01-08-2008, 01:01 AM
That doesn't seem too unfair, in all honesty.

Though, and maybe it's just me, but did anyone see how many Buckeye fans there were there? It almost looked like there were more Buckeye fans than LSU fans. Maybe it just appeared that way to me.

I'll say, when LSU was being held on offense early on there were some loud 'Defense' chants going on for Ohio State.

Rather than have it in 'Big Ten Territory' I think they should just find a middle ground some where. Somewhere in the middle states perhaps.

soybean
01-08-2008, 01:04 AM
hmm how bout if they just rotate the location of each event. So the rose bowl (pac-10 vs. big-10) can be played at a different venue, while the sugar bowl can be played somewhere else besidese lousiana.

catch ma drift?

iowatreat54
01-08-2008, 01:06 AM
That doesn't seem too unfair, in all honesty.

Though, and maybe it's just me, but did anyone see how many Buckeye fans there were there? It almost looked like there were more Buckeye fans than LSU fans. Maybe it just appeared that way to me.

I'll say, when LSU was being held on offense early on there were some loud 'Defense' chants going on for Ohio State.

Rather than have it in 'Big Ten Territory' I think they should just find a middle ground some where. Somewhere in the middle states perhaps.

yea, the NC game isn't a real good example because I think it was supposedly close to 50-50 for each team...but games like the Rose Bowl this year or the Sugar Bowl last year...it's not necessarily a huge factor in deciding a winner, but to an extent it is...at least if a game was played on a neutral field that was close to neither team's fan base, then it would be determined by which fans want to go more, rather than one team being 15 mins away and another being 10+ hours away and seeing which team's fanbase is more willing to travel...but then again, bowls are driven by money and while BCS bowls will sell out, bowls that can draw a home town team would benefit greatly from it financially, thus would never want to give up that possibility

Namy
01-08-2008, 01:07 AM
The main reasons are weather and tradition. But I agree with you that they should move the bowls to other locations as well. I hate the stupid weather argument. We're talking about FOOTBALL. Cold weather is a part of football. Honestly, I hate watching NFL playoff football in places like San Diego because it looks so damn hot. College football, play in cold weather for christ sake.

iowatreat54
01-08-2008, 01:07 AM
hmm how bout if they just rotate the location of each event. So the rose bowl (pac-10 vs. big-10) can be played at a different venue, while the sugar bowl can be played somewhere else besidese lousiana.

catch ma drift?

yea that's all good in theory and I agree with it, but it goes back to tradition...no bowl with a history such as the Rose Bowl, for example, would ever agree to that

sweetness34
01-08-2008, 01:08 AM
I just want to see USC play in a game besides the freakin' Rose Bowl for once...:D

someone447
01-08-2008, 01:25 AM
yea, the NC game isn't a real good example because I think it was supposedly close to 50-50 for each team...but games like the Rose Bowl this year or the Sugar Bowl last year...it's not necessarily a huge factor in deciding a winner, but to an extent it is...at least if a game was played on a neutral field that was close to neither team's fan base, then it would be determined by which fans want to go more, rather than one team being 15 mins away and another being 10+ hours away and seeing which team's fanbase is more willing to travel...but then again, bowls are driven by money and while BCS bowls will sell out, bowls that can draw a home town team would benefit greatly from it financially, thus would never want to give up that possibility

Yes, it is a great example. When you have to go an hour and a half, meaning you can stay at home in your own beds for an extra few days it is a huge advantage.

kwilk103
01-08-2008, 01:27 AM
theres always a chance that its a home game for a team

iowatreat54
01-08-2008, 01:27 AM
Yes, it is a great example. When you have to go an hour and a half, meaning you can stay at home in your own beds for an extra few days it is a huge advantage.

I meant that this year isn't a good example where the "home team" had a better showing that the other team in the argument, because the fan bases seemed about even in numbers...but I do agree it is an advantage, just not a huge enough factor to warrant the system to change its approach to bowl locations entirely

Turtlepower
01-08-2008, 04:32 AM
I just want to see USC play in a game besides the freakin' Rose Bowl for once...:D

That crowd seemed just as much Illini as it was Trojans.

tylerb929
01-08-2008, 07:41 AM

I'm not for Ohio State at all, but I think there fans were just louder.

I agree though, there should be a middle ground some where. These matchups are supposed to be even and giving the advantage (whether it be less travel, crowd noise, biased officiating, or just being in a familiar place) to one team does make it unfair for the NC. Thats like if the Super Bowl were in a teams hometown.

eazyb81
01-08-2008, 08:06 AM
As somone already pointed out, it's not truly a home game for these teams since the stadium was half-filled with OSU fans and they were loud. That said, OSU's team still has to travel down to Louisiana, practice in a new area, and sleep in a different bed in preparation for their game. Doesn't sound like a lot, but I would much rather take LSU's situation of staying in their normal routine.

someone447
01-08-2008, 09:42 AM
As somone already pointed out, it's not truly a home game for these teams since the stadium was half-filled with OSU fans and they were loud. That said, OSU's team still has to travel down to Louisiana, practice in a new area, and sleep in a different bed in preparation for their game. Doesn't sound like a lot, but I would much rather take LSU's situation of staying in their normal routine.

Yes, many of you guys vastly underestimate the travel aspect. It was especially bad for USC. They got to sleep in their own beds all week, Illinois did not. Staying in a hotel for a week(or a few days) quickly takes your toll.

skarocksoi
01-08-2008, 05:32 PM
How about a playoff with home field advantage? The southern and west coast teams might have a tough time winning in Ann Arbor or Happy Valley in the middle of the winter.

saintsfan912
01-09-2008, 12:55 AM
Yes, many of you guys vastly underestimate the travel aspect. It was especially bad for USC. They got to sleep in their own beds all week, Illinois did not. Staying in a hotel for a week(or a few days) quickly takes your toll.

Both OSU and LSU arrived in New Orleans on the same day and both practiced in New Orleans as well. OSU at the Saints indoor facility and LSU at the Superdome. Not sure if they rotated or not but that travel aspect is bull. Sure they were close to home but that doesn't mean they got to leave or anything.

someone447
01-09-2008, 01:36 AM
Both OSU and LSU arrived in New Orleans on the same day and both practiced in New Orleans as well. OSU at the Saints indoor facility and LSU at the Superdome. Not sure if they rotated or not but that travel aspect is bull. Sure they were close to home but that doesn't mean they got to leave or anything.

What day was that? The travel aspect is not bull. Travel is the biggest aspect of home field advantage.

saintsfan912
01-09-2008, 05:29 AM
What day was that? The travel aspect is not bull. Travel is the biggest aspect of home field advantage.

Not sure on the exact day but it was all over the news down here. Both teams have the same amenities so how is traveling any different for either team?

oregonbucfan
01-09-2008, 07:46 AM

But also at home you can ahve more distractions espically college kids

tylerb929
01-09-2008, 08:12 AM
Not sure on the exact day but it was all over the news down here. Both teams have the same amenities so how is traveling any different for either team?

I don't know how they traveled, but hypothetically, would you rather take a 10 hour bus ride or a 1 hour bus ride. Heck, they said Hester had played in the Super Dome 10 (? not sure, might have been more) times before.

someone447
01-09-2008, 11:03 AM

A 4 hour plane ride, or an hour(to 1.5 hour) bus ride? Calls to the hotel in the middle of the night or no calls? Boos and threats any time you leave the hotel or no boos and threats? People wishing you good luck, or people telling you that you suck? The daily grind of being in a completely new place, or being someplace you have been many times before? There are a ton of reasons why having a near home game is beneficial.

Now, that didn't cause OSU to lose, but who knows what would have happened at a neutral site.

someone447
01-09-2008, 11:03 AM
I don't know how they traveled, but hypothetically, would you rather take a 10 hour bus ride or a 1 hour bus ride. Heck, they said Hester had played in the Super Dome 10 (? not sure, might have been more) times before.

It was probably OSU flying and LSU taking a bus(although LSU might have flown.)

saintsfan912
01-09-2008, 06:12 PM

Hester played in the Dome 3 times with LSU (@Tulane, NC, Sugar Bowl vs. ND). He probably played a few games in high school because he went to a perennial power High school Evangel and the State championship is played in the Dome. Think that made any difference? Doubtful.

soybean
01-09-2008, 06:30 PM

Don't forget the whole the 'awe' affect. the teams went to disneyland etc. for people in california it's all been there done that but someone from illinois who probably never been to california before or have seen the beach before might've forgot about the actual reason they were there, football.

but about the hotel issue. I heard, keyword, that they sleep in hotels days before their game at the rose bowl the players don't go home. I think for the reason of keeping everyone together.

Sniper
01-09-2008, 07:05 PM
How about a playoff with home field advantage? The southern and west coast teams might have a tough time winning in Ann Arbor or Happy Valley in the middle of the winter.

Sweet Jesus I'd LOVE to watch an SEC team in 2 degree weather with snow falling...They'd get smoked.

someone447
01-09-2008, 07:22 PM
Don't forget the whole the 'awe' affect. the teams went to disneyland etc. for people in california it's all been there done that but someone from illinois who probably never been to california before or have seen the beach before might've forgot about the actual reason they were there, football.

but about the hotel issue. I heard, keyword, that they sleep in hotels days before their game at the rose bowl the players don't go home. I think for the reason of keeping everyone together.

They probably did stay in a hotel the day before the game, we do before home games. But home teams don't have to worry about opposing fans calling their rooms all night. Hotel clerks have been known(quite often in fact) to let calls go through to the away teams rooms, even when specifically told not to.