PDA

View Full Version : Draft Advisory Committee

Babylon
01-08-2008, 06:41 PM
I understand what it is but honestly have to wonder if their motivation is to be upfront with people or is their motivation to keep underclassmen in school. Malcolm Kelly gets a 2nd round grade, either all of us on here are clueless(no comments please) or we're missing something.

energizerbunny
01-08-2008, 06:45 PM
they are usually conservitive with their assessments. How would you feel if you got a 2nd round grade and then fall to the 5th or 6th? Traditionally they underate these prospects so that doesn't happen. Unless you are truely a top 15 pick they won't usually dish out the rating of a 1st rounder.

With Malcolm Kelly there are some concerns that he won't be able to seperate in the pros, probaly a big reason for his 2nd round grade despite his great college production and ball skills.

toonsterwu
01-08-2008, 06:48 PM
I understand what it is but honestly have to wonder if their motivation is to be upfront with people or is their motivation to keep underclassmen in school. Malcolm Kelly gets a 2nd round grade, either all of us on here are clueless(no comments please) or we're missing something.

The DAC usually leans slightly on the conservative side, in an attempt to protect the kids. I think he'll end up a first rounder, even if it's because of a thin WR class. That being said, I can buy Malcolm Kelly ending up as a possible 2nd rounder. I've got him as a late first grade tier right now, but if he runs a below average time, I could definitely see him drop. He's still a bit inconsistent and sloppy at times, and if he doesn't show top level tools, teams may decide to wait. In some respects, he reminds me of a poor man's Braylon Edwards.

keylime_5
01-08-2008, 06:54 PM
I've heard that Kelly was gonna get a second round grade since last October. That's about right, but I think in this WR class he will go somewhere between picks 20 and 30, which is what most of the experts agree on too. He has good potential, but his junior year was kinda disappointing in some respects.

Babylon
01-08-2008, 07:01 PM
I've heard that Kelly was gonna get a second round grade since last October. That's about right, but I think in this WR class he will go somewhere between picks 20 and 30, which is what most of the experts agree on too. He has good potential, but his junior year was kinda disappointing in some respects.

I hope you arent referring to anyone who do mock drafts, either for a living or for fun, as experts?

Paranoidmoonduck
01-08-2008, 07:05 PM
I think the reason Kelly has gone as high in mocks as he has is because of need more than talent. Most of the players who were considered top wideout prospects before this college football season didn't exactly produce like people expected.

That said, the advisory committee has a real tough job. They have to try and tell the prospects a fairly accurate prediction despite how much things are going to change in the next four months. They seem to try and shoot for the middle of a players draft range, which seems like a good move. Kelly was likely going to rise based on the fact that he's one of the more physically impressive wideouts out there, but I don't think it's a stretch to say he's a 2nd round prospect right now.

holt_bruce81
01-09-2008, 03:18 PM
They didnt even project William Moore as a 1st day selection lol

Travis 24
01-09-2008, 04:11 PM
Malcolm Kelly got a 2nd round grade because thats where he deserves to go.

etk
01-09-2008, 04:32 PM
Malcolm Kelly got a 2nd round grade because thats where he deserves to go.

Jordy Nelson wasn't even good enough to request his stock from the committee as a Junior. *shrugs*

Patriots16-0
01-10-2008, 02:24 PM
Malcolm Kelly was got a 2nd round grade? Well, he is still the top WR in the class.

Iamcanadian
01-10-2008, 02:41 PM

Unless they see you as a top 10 elite prospect, they are going to give you a round 2 designation. Why, because juniors are really a rawer prospect who will have to establish in the post season just how good they are. Seniors who have been scrutinized carefully this year are far more familiar to scouts and far more finished products. However, the junior more often than not have a ceiling that far exceeds a seniors but until they get to the combine or a pro day where they can be closely compared to the seniors at their position, the NFL is going to be very careful and very conservative about where they will be drafted.
The NFL would be in a tough legal position if they enticed prospects to declare by falsely encouraging them to declare and a whole bunch of them didn't get picked in round 1. Legally, the NFL wants to be seen as an organization which gives the prospects reasonable advice or they could face many lawsuits for encouraging players to leave college early.
Every agent and college HC, and through them every prospect they respresent clearly knows that a round 2 designation means they have a realistic shot at round 1 but probably not in the top 10, if they excel in the post season. No guarantees but definitely a chance if they perform well.