PDA

View Full Version : Matthew Stafford: The Prospect

d34ng3l021
01-08-2008, 09:38 PM
Can anyone give me a scouting report of him? I know he cant come out this year.

I just say like a 13 minute highlight reel of him and he looked really good. Maybe he can end the Falcon QB woes if we dont address them this draft.

regoob2
01-08-2008, 09:57 PM
I just watched a reel of all incomplete passes, picks, and sacks! Didn't impress me in that video.

Turtlepower
01-08-2008, 09:58 PM
I just watched a reel of all incomplete passes, picks, and sacks! Didn't impress me in that video.

I wonder why watching him at his worst didn't make him look good. =D

energizerbunny
01-08-2008, 10:00 PM
He has a pro-ready NFL arm.... thats my impression on him from this year.

Next year the process with begin more heavily

regoob2
01-08-2008, 10:03 PM
Someone should seriously make a reel of bad plays also. Everbody looks great in a highlight, thats why its a HIGHLIGHT!

Komp
01-08-2008, 10:09 PM
From I've seen of him, Stafford definitely needs some work till he is NFL ready. His arm is big league tho...

volman88
01-08-2008, 10:40 PM
I'm not just saying this because I hate Georgia, but everytime I see him play he is terrible. Then on College Football Live they praise him and say how good he is. I believe he is one of the most overrated college football players out there.

energizerbunny
01-08-2008, 10:56 PM
I'm not just saying this because I hate Georgia, but everytime I see him play he is terrible. Then on College Football Live they praise him and say how good he is. I believe he is one of the most overrated college football players out there.

Its all about showing flashes of greatness early on, that will get people watching you later on in your college career.... all young players will make mistakes when they are younger, you just want to see this raw talent and play close attention to how they progress over the next couple of years.

That said.... I like Stafford better then Tebow as a pro prospect

d34ng3l021
01-08-2008, 11:07 PM

You can still evaluate a player based on their highlight reel. I was trying to see how his mechanics were, how he reacts with pressure coming to him.

I know its a biased view, but thats why I came here asking for what more on him.

Bosanac01
01-08-2008, 11:21 PM
I watched pretty much every game of his. He really doesn't put up big numbers, Georgia rushing attack outpowers the pass game. He started since his freshman year, so got experience. Is somewhat mobile, and can move in the pocket pretty good. Arm is deadly strong and pretty accurate, and has eyes looking downfield.

Forenci
01-08-2008, 11:32 PM
I'd like to see Stafford complete at least 65% of his passes before I'm willing to consider him an elite QB at the college ranks.

That said, if he can do that, I would look for him to be fighting for the top QB selection next year, or the year after.

He's definitely a guy who should stay until his senior year. Of course, we'll see what happens after his junior season. We all know scouts love it when a QB has a ton of experience under his belt, and he played some his Freshman year, did decent in his Sophomore year and if he plays well the next two seasons he could be a big time QB. He certainly has the NFL arm you look for.

If he has a really good junior campaign I could see him coming out early since there will be a significant lack of good QB's that year. Especially if Tebow doesn't declare, because you figure he'd be the consensus top QB of the draft. It all depends on how he does his junior year though.

georgiafan
01-09-2008, 07:37 AM
Stafford isn't a finished product, but he looked alot better then he did his freshman year. Everybody know's he has the arm strength. Stafford has played his best in big games and unlike the other QB's in the SEC hasn't padded his stats in OT or agianst small schools. If he improves as much as he did between his 1st and 2nd year year he could be gone. His % did go up from his first year and he seemed to get better with the deep ball late in the year. Knowshon Moreno gave him a true playmaker something that was missing his freshman year. Part of the accuracy is not have a big window to make a throw since the WR get no sepration from DB. That could even help him out a little when he gets to the NFL. He still trust his arm to much at times. He is also doing a great job of chaning the plays at the line of scrimmage something you might have noticed in the bowl game.

When you look at how much he improved this year 3,000 yards, 25 TD, 7 int, 60% seem reasonable for next year.

Freshman year - Completed 52% of his passes for 1,700+ yards, 7 TDs and 13 INTs. Approximately a 1:2 TD to INT ratio, QB rating 109

Sophmore year - Completed 56% of his passes for 2,523+ yards, 19 TD and 10 INTs. a 2:1 TD to INT ratio, QB Rating 129

A few highlights they wasn't many I could find
vs GT - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcvSDUMw-XQ
vs auburn - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynjcTC88rOo & http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plNuuuKc0vk

JDB7821
01-09-2008, 01:07 PM
I watch all the Georgia games that I can as a fan and I can see he's not there yet. There is absolutely no question that he has an arm on him and in fact, he might be more pro-ready than Tebow when they come out because of the system he plays in. I think a good comparison right now is Ben Roethlisberger in that he isn't called on to light it up through the air and his team is based on the run. I really did not see the hype last year, but I can see a flash or two here and there now. It would do him well to stay until he's a senior and refine his game, Mark Richt is a great coach and he'll have him ready to make millions.

BamaFalcon59
01-09-2008, 04:38 PM

I agree completely.

vatech=accdomination
01-09-2008, 04:41 PM
he easliy has the tools, his arm strength is off the charts.

falconsrule
01-09-2008, 04:57 PM
He really havent had a go to WR so A.J. Green should help him out alot next year but I would suggest Stafford stay until his senior year.

TitanHope
01-09-2008, 05:44 PM
Has all the physcial tools a QB needs to be successful in the NFL, but does not have the mental tools. If he gets put under pressure, rattled, or put in an uncomfortable situation, he crumbles. There's a reason why Georgia became so good when Knowshon Moreno exploded...

Babylon
01-09-2008, 06:29 PM
Has all the physcial tools a QB needs to be successful in the NFL, but does not have the mental tools. If he gets put under pressure, rattled, or put in an uncomfortable situation, he crumbles. There's a reason why Georgia became so good when Knowshon Moreno exploded...

Well he hasnt crumbled this year from what i've seen and last year he was a freshman with terrible receivers. He does need to not trust his arm when something isnt there but the guy is probably at the top of a short list of 1st round QBs for next years draft.

themaninblack
01-09-2008, 06:37 PM
i was actually going to say something quite the opposite of titanhope. imo, he plays some of his best ball when he plays against the better teams in the SEC. he's not great yet but hes not far from it. he throws too many interceptions and sometimes seems to lose his confidence which is something he definitely needs to get past.

P-L
01-09-2008, 08:41 PM
Stafford has improved leaps and bounds this year compared to his freshman season. If he continues his current rate of improvement, he'll be right up there with the best of them next season.

Texas Homer
01-10-2008, 12:00 AM
He has all of the tools you look for. He just hasn't been able to get used to the speed of the game and put it all together.

He made big improvement from his Freshman year to his Soph. year. I think he will have a even better Jr. year. I think he's the type of player that will probably end up playing all 4 years of college and graduate then go pro.

He def. has the potential to be a big time QB.

Halsey
01-10-2008, 03:27 AM
To me he's a similar prospect to Jay Cutler who is a similar prospect to John Elway. I'm not saying Cutler or Stafford are as good a prospect as Elway or that Stafford will even be as good a prospect as Cutler, but there are similarities: Good athelete, mobile, strong arm, 6'3ish, solid frame, smart, natural leader, composed, can perform under pressure. Stafford still has a lot of develpoping to do, but remember, he's only been in college for 2 years. He started as a true freshman. There was no redshirt year for him to learn the playbook or anything.

georgiafan
01-10-2008, 07:16 AM
but does not have the mental tools. If he gets put under pressure, rattled, or put in an uncomfortable situation, he crumbles. There's a reason why Georgia became so good when Knowshon Moreno exploded...

Not even close to being true, Stafford played the same at the start of the year as he did at the end of the year. It just every position played alot better espically OL and DL so UGA started winning. Agianst GT KM only had 40 yards and Stafford had a good game agianst a team that hadn't allowed 30 points all year. If he doesn't have the mental tools then why did he lead 2 game winning TD drives this year (bama,vandy). He also had his best games against Auburn and UF and SC the WR couldn't catch. Starting with the UF game the coaches allowed him to change plays at the line of scrimmage and he did a good of that.

Iamcanadian
01-10-2008, 02:13 PM
There is no doubt he has a pro arm but many questions linger. He completion average of 55% leaves me wondering how accurate is he? That is pretty low for a college QB with pro potential.
He will need a huge junior season which I'm certain he is capable of, to be a high pick. His OL at Georgia should be very solid next year so he'll have no excuses for his production. However, it is not at all unusual for juniors or seniors to have breakout years as they mature in college, and I'm expecting Stafford to have one.

BuddyCHRIST
01-10-2008, 05:10 PM
he definetely looks like an NFL QB as he has a huge arm and good athleticism. His physical skills remind me alot of Cutler, obviously he needs a little work but most QB's do and the fact that he improved so much this year shows that he's clearly getting better. Its kind of hard to judge him because he hasnt been asked to do a whole lot since UGA's running game is so strong, he could be more of the man next year but I think he should stay all 4 years (all QB's should imo) and then he should be a very high pick.

TitanHope
01-10-2008, 06:02 PM
As a freshman, Stafford had a QB rating of 62.5. As a sophomore, he had a 84.1 QB rating. He's improved very much. I remember an amazing pass for a TD he threw against Tennessee. It was perfect.

Not even close to being true, Stafford played the same at the start of the year as he did at the end of the year. It just every position played alot better espically OL and DL so UGA started winning. Agianst GT KM only had 40 yards and Stafford had a good game agianst a team that hadn't allowed 30 points all year. If he doesn't have the mental tools then why did he lead 2 game winning TD drives this year (bama,vandy). He also had his best games against Auburn and UF and SC the WR couldn't catch. Starting with the UF game the coaches allowed him to change plays at the line of scrimmage and he did a good of that.

In the Georgia Tech game, Moreno only had 45 yards, but Thomas Brown rushed for 139 yards and a TD. Georgia is built around the running game. And Stafford had an average game. His rating was 84.6, but his TD saved him. His completion percentage was 48.3%. And on a day where his RB's were averaging 5.6 YPC, his passing percentage was that low? Thats worrisome.

My point isn't that Stafford is mentally incapable of leading a TD drive. It's that he plays very poorly when the DEF pressures him. And I don't see consistent evidence that he can lead his team to victory or have a good day passing when he doesn't have a good running game.

In the Bama game, he had a 69.2 QB rating and the game was forced into overtime. His completion percentage was 54.3%. Stafford threw one pass for a TD from the 25 YD line in OT to win it. Georgia is better than Alabama, and they had to go into OT to win. The RB's didn't have a great day either. Before he threw the game winning pass, his QB rating was 58.9.

At Vandy, another team Georgia was much better than, Stafford's rating was 82.9, and Moreno ran for 157 YDS and a 5.6 YPC average.

Against Florida, Stafford played great. 135.6 QB rating and a 61.1 completion percentage. But, Moreno rushed for 188 yards, 3 TD's, and averaged 5.7 YPC. Stafford threw a grand total of 18 times, two of which were for huge gains and 2 TD's. The 3rd TD was a 1 YD pass. Yeah, he made plays, but Moreno was the star of that game. On one drive, Stafford never passed once. Moreno rushed 8 times, with Brandon Southerland rushing once, and scored a TD at the end.

Stafford had a good game against Auburn. 115.5 QB rating, but his completion percentage was 57.9% and only passed the ball 19 times. They ran the ball 43 times, with Moreno going for 101 YDS, 4.6 YPC, and 2 TD, and Thomas Brown rushing for 81 YDS, 5.8 YPC, and 1 TD.

South Carolina game... 48.8 QB rating with a 42.2 QB rating. But if the WR's played that badly, then that may have affected it. The RB's still ran for 128 YDS and a 4.1 YPC.

Georgia was built around Knowshon Moreno and Thomas Brown. Stafford is a great talent. There's no doubt about that. But, he needs to take a step to a new level, as others have said. Right now, he's second pony to Moreno. He's a game manager with a bad completion percentage. And if you shut down Moreno and Co., the offense will struggle. Tim Tebow has consistently proven he can be the offense of his team if he needs to. I don't think Stafford has displayed that ability. I have to agree with Forenci. Until Stafford can improve to 60%+ completion percentage and balance out Moreno in that offense, I can't say he's the top QB prospect.

Patriots16-0
01-10-2008, 06:13 PM
He is my third QB in 2009... behind Tim Tebow and Chase Holbrook.

Halsey
01-10-2008, 08:46 PM
Most people thinkt hat Moreno was the single rteason the Dawgs got better this year. Wrong. The passing game started to come together and the Dawgs were hitting on regular deep passes to open things up for the running game. It was a combination of Stafford getting better blocking from his O-line and developing with his WR's. Just wait till next year when he, his line and the weapons around him are even more developed and experienced.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
01-10-2008, 08:51 PM
He is my third QB in 2009... behind Tim Tebow and Chase Holbrook.

Who the hell is Chase Holbrook?

01-10-2008, 09:06 PM
Who the hell is Chase Holbrook?

New Mexico State QB.

themaninblack
01-11-2008, 01:24 AM
the dawgs turned there season around for one reason and one reason only: MARK RICHT.

georgiafan
01-11-2008, 07:29 AM
I'll be the first to tell you that Stafford isn't a finished product it even could help me out as that means he has greater chance to stay for his senior year.

But he was clearly alot better at the end of the year then he was last year and with a young QB that's all you can ask for. Alot of people make a big deal about his completion %, but it doesn't bother me. The WR for UGA could get no seperation, very rarely did you ever see a WR wide open for a easy 15 yard catch this year. But to say he isn't mentally capable of leading and can't lead his team to victory is just crazy. UGA was playing with 3 freshman OL, great HB, and average WR the coaches didn't ask him to throw the ball 40 times a game. He has lost like 3 or 4 games in close to 2 years as the starter. How does he not lead his team to victory ?

My point isn't that Stafford is mentally incapable of leading a TD drive. It's that he plays very poorly when the DEF pressures him. And I don't see consistent evidence that he can lead his team to victory or have a good day passing when he doesn't have a good running game.

Turtlepower
01-11-2008, 08:26 AM
I think Stafford compares very well to Derek Anderson as a draft prospect. Derek Anderson had all of the tools in college to be a 1st round NFL QB, but didn't play up to it. Stafford has outstanding tools to work with, but has to work on consistency and not making stupid mistakes. I think he will be a late-1st and drafted by a team as more of a groomer to become the starter. I wouldn't be surprised if he declares next year just because of how week the QB class is.

BamaFalcon59
01-11-2008, 04:21 PM
He reminds me of Eli Manning. Hyped up. Relies on arm strength too much, tries to fit the ball in tight spaces. Makes some bad decisions. Better in the 2 minute drill or hurry up offense or on playaction with run support than when he has to pass 40 times in a game.